In my opinion, invulnerable mobs are a bad design

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: The Magic Wombat.5170

The Magic Wombat.5170

OK, I am going to try and remain positive here, since we are supposed to offer constructive criticism…

The entire concept of allowing mobs to go invulnerable while still dealing damage in the middle of battle is probably the WORST mechanic I have ever seen in a game. And a “positive” step would be to remove it.

I don’t mind dying when I bite off more than I can chew, because that is my own fault. But this whole “invulnerable mob” aspect has gone way too far. We are engaged in battle. I and my allies are fighting for our lives. A mob, usually a ranged mob, is picking us off. I go over to engage it, and it is invulnerable. Not just hard to fight, but hitting pops up that red “INVULNERABLE” message. We now face a decision—a rather fast decision needing to be made—abandon the event fast enough to not wipe—if possible—or to simply wipe.

Wow, what a KEWL design!

I would love to see ANY developer justify this. Come on into the forums and explain how this enhances the game. Explain how making a fight impossible to win makes for a fun game. Isn’t it enough that my true level has been nerfed to compensate and make it more challenging? Isn’t it enough that I have been over-nerfed so I am now lowered to beneath the mob’s level? Must you also make the mob go into God mode?

Again, I would LOVE to see a Dev justify this.

And, again, since I am required to offer positive criticism, I am positively certain a positive step would be to take mob invulnerability in battle and positively eliminate it.

Bad enough I must have suffer through a red mob appearing, pop my best attack on a long timer on it only to find out it is invulnerable until the 4 seconds of scripted dialogue are completed and I must, like in a bad re-edit of Star Wars, wait for the bad guy to fire first… Keep that if you must, but loose the random mandatory fight loss.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

What is this I don’t even… the only time I’ve seen invulnerable enemies it’s when they are running away/running to an event zone or are saying something. In all of those situations, they never attack or even aggro players, so if it happened, it must’ve been a (rare) bug and I wouldn’t take it as seriously as you are doing. Even if the bug existed and wasn’t so rare, I don’t see any situation in which invulnerable mobs can defeated you in 4< seconds.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

The Magic Wombat.5170

What is this I don’t even… the only time I’ve seen invulnerable enemies it’s when they are running away/running to an event zone or are saying something. In all of those situations, they never attack or even aggro players, so if it happened, it must’ve been a (rare) bug and I wouldn’t take it as seriously as you are doing. Even if the bug existed and wasn’t so rare, I don’t see any situation in which invulnerable mobs can defeated you in 4< seconds.

Well, let me explain it—you are in an event. With lots of mobs. And a few allies. And things are going tight. Knocked down, fight your way up, knocked down, fight your way up. It is what as known as a “close fight”—could go either way. And a ranged mob is picking off you and your allies. So you decide to spend the 3-4 seconds it will take to slice and dice the ranged mob that is picking off you and your friends. You go over and engage him.

Oh, bad news, he is invulnerable! Can’t even be bruised. And so you get knocked to the ground. Now guess what—he continues to fire on you and your way of getting us is to either have an ally drop what they are doing, come over, and spend the 45 seconds it will take to resurrect you (you and they will be long dead by then) or you must rally after you kill the mob.

Oh, bad news, the mob is invulnerable. You can’t rally after killing it because you can’t kill it.

Wipe.

And, it is not a rare bug. Anytime a mob can’t figure out a path to you, it usually goes invulnerable. Designed to prevent people exploiting ranged attacks on mobs that can’t find a way to get to the player. I’ve seen this pathing problem happen when a set of mobs are 2-3 steps lower than me. Hit them all day with ranged and it won’t phase them. I’ve had my pet get stuck coming up a couple of steps. Eventually, when the pet falls to far behind, it just teleports to you.

And, yes, the event that just really upset me involved a mob that was up like 3 steps. Because there was no path to me the AI could figure out, it turned invulnerable to me. It could still chew on me via ranged, but I could do nothing to stop it. When I charged over to it, because combat had not ended, it was still invulnerable and doing DPS to me.

Simple fix—when a mob goes invulnerable due to a pathing problem, it also loses aggro against the player and fully resets.

Posted by: Salacious.7358

Salacious.7358

OK, I am going to try and remain positive here, since we are supposed to offer constructive criticism…

The entire concept of allowing mobs to go invulnerable while still dealing damage in the middle of battle is probably the WORST mechanic I have ever seen in a game. And a “positive” step would be to remove it.

I don’t mind dying when I bite off more than I can chew, because that is my own fault. But this whole “invulnerable mob” aspect has gone way too far. We are engaged in battle. I and my allies are fighting for our lives. A mob, usually a ranged mob, is picking us off. I go over to engage it, and it is invulnerable. Not just hard to fight, but hitting pops up that red “INVULNERABLE” message. We now face a decision—a rather fast decision needing to be made—abandon the event fast enough to not wipe—if possible—or to simply wipe.

Wow, what a KEWL design!

I would love to see ANY developer justify this. Come on into the forums and explain how this enhances the game. Explain how making a fight impossible to win makes for a fun game. Isn’t it enough that my true level has been nerfed to compensate and make it more challenging? Isn’t it enough that I have been over-nerfed so I am now lowered to beneath the mob’s level? Must you also make the mob go into God mode?

And, again, since I am required to offer positive criticism, I am positively certain a positive step would be to take mob invulnerability in battle and positively eliminate it.

Bad enough I must have suffer through a red mob appearing, pop my best attack on a long timer on it only to find out it is invulnerable until the 4 seconds of scripted dialogue are completed and I must, like in a bad re-edit of Star Wars, wait for the bad guy to fire first… Keep that if you must, but loose the random mandatory fight loss.

You dont understand the mechanics of the game at all. when an event ends and enemies run away, when a boss isn’t ready to fight you, when he drops the hammer in fractals. This is the logic.

The Magic Wombat.5170

Wow, what a KEWL design!

You dont understand the mechanics of the game at all. when an event ends and enemies run away, when a boss isn’t ready to fight you, when he drops the hammer in fractals. This is the logic.

So, is this your way of saying it didn’t happen? Or your way of saying it is good to be that way?

No, don’t answer. Either way you are wrong.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Where is this there were invulnerable ranged mobs?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

It’s even worse when a bounty boss bugs out…I mean, no problem right? You have hours to defeat it.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

There’s a underwater area in Frostgorge Sound that surrounds Honor of the Waves Ship that has a lot of jellyfish vets. When a daily has a vet achievement, i’ve often try to kill them and 99% of them time, when their hp is down to 1/3, they suddenly go invulnerable, start swimming away from me for a bit, fully heal then come back at me again. Meanwhile, I’m still locked in combat and cannot heal, while he gains full health. I can’t be bothered with them any more, but this is typical of u/water combat.

It happens on land as well but not as frequently. However, I must say these jellyfish are probably the worst i’ve encountered.

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

I believe OP is talking about something like the harpy fractal, where they seem to have very long range (>1200) and always attacking, crippling, and knocking you down platforms. Sometimes when you finally manage to get in range they are invulnerable but you still take damage from it. Only thing you can do is block/tank the damage for like 5 seconds until they finally start to deal damage.

Also like the poster above me, underwater combat is really annoying how some mobs just automatically go invul then reset out of no reason even when you fight exactly at where they spawn.

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

I’ve experienced this way too often. I’ll be hitting a mob and sitting right next to it, and it’ll become temporarily invulnerable to my attacks. Oh, but he can still hurt me, of course.

It’s a bug in the way the game’s combat functions. Mobs are supposed to try to run up to you or shoot at you, and if it’s determined that they cannot hit you, they become immune to your attacks. The idea is to prevent you from exploiting their AI by attacking from a place they cannot reach. The problem is, it doesn’t always correctly detect the monster’s location relative to the player, so sometimes I’m attacking a mob that is literally right in front of me, and yet he’ll be immune to my damage and hitting me back just fine.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: vince.5937

vince.5937

You know what’s really funny? I actually encountered this in Fireheart Rise the other day. One of those Flame Legion Smoke Shaman mobs was flinging ash at me and my arrows registered Invulnerable. I swapped to my shield and reflected one of his projectiles, and my game crashed. I reported it. I guess the game doesn’t like it when you make it attack itself while invulnerable?

vince.5937 — Tarnished Coast — Les Saintes
R.I.P. City of Heroes, 2004-2012
Long Live Atlas Park 33

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I really wish I had encountered this so I could weigh in . . . the only time I had this happen was close to the surface of water some time ago, or “Obstructed” in one direction (me shooting them) but not in the other (them shooting me) . . . generally off a wall in WvW.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Rifter.6591

Rifter.6591

Yeah i notice this ALOT with my thief, because i always try and use terrain to my advantage as i dont have the toughness/power to brute for encounters all the time like warriors and guardians can.

So i often try and attack with my shortbow from a ledge or use crates/walls in town to stand on and provide me some cover from the melee mobs. But usualy it doesnt work because ill end up standing on a ledge unable to hurt anyone below(they are all invulnerable to me) yet they can still hit me with ranged attacks just fine.

Its just very poor code for them to be able to hurt you when you cant hurt them, i mean seriously its like basic logic we are talking about here and why i dont bother with mobs much in my thief, i just use map completion to level and stealth/speed to avoid all mobs now, makes it very boring to play but the mobility i think when i hit 80 will make my thief a worthwhile farmer for gathering ingrediants at least thats what i keep telling myself to force myself to level the thief. Hes level 62 now i think i stopped killing regular mobs when i hit level 20 and dont even bother with the questline story anymore either.

I mean it isnt rocket science i go around back of a hill and climb it then drop down onto a ledge without using any skills/traits/speed boost to get there yet anything i shoot at is invunerable because the AI is to dumb to drop down onto a ledge? Yet can still harm me? this is just ridiculas.

Also the Frostgorge JP is a PRIME example of bad code for the AI and this issue. Im talking about the JP near ice flow waypoint where you need to go underwater to access it. When you are almost near the end and you need to make a jump onto a platform where there is a veteran ooze and then a chain you need to walk across to another platform. Before making that jump onto the platform with the ooze it is well within range of any range attack with 600 or greater range, well within the 1200 of my warriors rifle, however when i shoot at it i do damge it its not invunerable but it IS not registering as being in combat so heals faster than i can damage it making it have unlimited hitpoints and impossible to kill. However that doesnt stop it from shooting back at me and i am in combat so dont heal and it will down you EVERY SINGLE TIME you try and engage it from range. Your only option is to jump onto its platform and either try and fight it there and hope it downt knock you off the edge or try and tightrope walk the chain while in combat with a veteran oze shooting at you.

I hope they realize just how bad their code is and put some serious time into rewriting it to fix this issue where mobs can hit you but you cant hit them.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

It happens only when you manage to hit the mob and he can’t hit back.
Just make sure that you hit stuff that can fight back, this system is in place to prevent people from abusing the environment for free kills.
Sure you can keep telling yourself that sittint on a cliff and farming stuff that can’t reach you is “strategy” but it really isn’t for intellectually honest people.

Rifter.6591

Just make sure that you hit stuff that can fight back, this system is in place to prevent people from abusing the environment for free kills.
Sure you can keep telling yourself that sittint on a cliff and farming stuff that can’t reach you is “strategy” but it really isn’t for intellectually honest people.

Yeah except for the fact that you have it backwards, while sitting on ledge with my thief(a ledge ANY NPC could get to btw not one i used any movement skills/traits to get to) i CANT HIT THEM because they are invunerable and they CAN HIT ME.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

please remove invulnerable mobs.
the original guild wars one never had it.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

. . . yes it did. Though it would take the form of them being “friendly allies” until they attacked, they were still invulnerable until they gave their spiel. Or sometimes when the line of sight would be blocked on bridges . . .

Rifter.6591

. . . yes it did. Though it would take the form of them being “friendly allies” until they attacked, they were still invulnerable until they gave their spiel. Or sometimes when the line of sight would be blocked on bridges . . .

Which would be a much better idea than what we have now because at least if they were friendly untill the fight they wouldnt be able to shoot at us while we are unable to shoot back and do damage.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Which would be a much better idea than what we have now because at least if they were friendly untill the fight they wouldnt be able to shoot at us while we are unable to shoot back and do damage.

I still have no idea where this is happening . . . I encounter it around water surface sometimes if I wind up fighting there but not anywhere else where something goes Invulnerable. I have had monsters “leash” back to start with an insane regen.

Posted by: GreyMouser.1235

GreyMouser.1235

No, it happens ALL THE TIME, as the AI has major pathing issues with ridgy terrain. (This affects pets just as often, with them standing adjacent to enemies on slightly different elevations, and they don’t engage.) Fight on anything other than flat or smooth, rolling terrain, and MOBs go invulnerable incredibly often if you’re using ranged attacks. This happens so much in Orr, it’s not even worth doing anything other than running past most MOBs.

[SOF]
Servants of Fortuna
Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Do you even need devs to justify it?

Its obvious what’s going on. They want it to take time, they want us to grind in order to stay with their precious game.

Or wait, you think they changed AC path 2 because they wanted a harder boss? Anet laugh in our faces because not only is the boss invounerable during certain periods (meaning that a single boss battle take longer than pre-patch run throughs of the entire path) the players are also invounerable as icing on the cake! No one can hurt anyone! Oh joy!!! Might as well just having an empty room with a 20 minute timer that goes to 0, then you win the game.

Invounerable mobs need to be there for gameplay purposes, clearly.

Rifter.6591

No, it happens ALL THE TIME, as the AI has major pathing issues with ridgy terrain. (This affects pets just as often, with them standing adjacent to enemies on slightly different elevations, and they don’t engage.) Fight on anything other than flat or smooth, rolling terrain, and MOBs go invulnerable incredibly often if you’re using ranged attacks. This happens so much in Orr, it’s not even worth doing anything other than running past most MOBs.

Yeah exactly, break the mold of only fighting on flat ground and then get back to us. Someone who plays warrior/guardian will never notice this because they are always on flat tarrian right beside the mobs. I leveled a warrior to 80 and could count the number of times i ran into this issue on one hand, i could run into it on purpose if i used my rifle and tried to find it but just playing normall with my GS its almost a non-issue. My thief on the other hand is only level 62 and i run into this issue dozens of times a week, hell dozens of times in a single day if its a weekend and im on for 6+ hours that day.

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

The best is in cof path 1 at the braziers, when one of the mobs that spawns can lose aggro and become invulnerable AS you are smacking him with 100b. Not really a problem per se in this case since you don’t need to kill him, but it’s pretty funny when it happens.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Yeah exactly, break the mold of only fighting on flat ground and then get back to us. Someone who plays warrior/guardian will never notice this because they are always on flat tarrian right beside the mobs.

I’m a ranger. I don’t fight on level terrain all the time, I generally try to be above my targets. I still don’t run into this with the exception of enemies which can’t path to me having insane health regeneration unless they had ranged attacks to fire back with.

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

I’m a staunch defender of ANet’s design decisions. I think it’s great that GW2 doesn’t have mob tagging so that players aren’t competing over monsters. I think it’s better that loot and resource nodes aren’t shared because it completely removes the issue of “ninja” looting. The only ninjas in this game are thieves and ironically they don’t steal loot but rather they assassinate enemies like real ninjas would. Another thing is not needing a target to perform a skill. It just feels more satisfying to being able to swing a sword whenever you feel like it. Tab targeting is still around but it’s more or less to help you. These small things actually make a huge difference. Although no one actually complained about mob tagging and whatnot players subconsciously felt there was something wrong. ANet fixed these minor annoyances and produced something truly great for it.

With all that being said though, ANet still lingers in the past in terms of certain design decisions. They’ve taken two steps forward and one step back. Monsters going invulnerable at all for any reason other than it being their ability should have been left in the past with all the other MMOs. People claim it is to prevent players from abusing mechanics. Perhaps in PvP players who are getting attacked from a higher altitude and can’t fight back should go invulnerable. As some of you have already found, it just leads to a lot of frustrating moments.

Even though most complaint threads are about ascended items, grind, lack of endgame, etc. somewhere in the backs of your minds you know there is something wrong that you won’t speak out about. I’m glad the OP brought this up because invulnerability is just one of those things holding GW2 back. Sadly it’s almost never mentioned because most people have accepted it as an MMO convention and never dare bring it up for fear of public shaming.

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

This happens mostly on the asura fractal =/

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

critickitten.1498

Patently false, as several people have already stated above that they experienced this problem while the enemy mob was still well within range and was still dealing damage to them.

I’ve had it happen when I was standing right next to an enemy, even.

Whatever code they use to determine when a monster is “unable to hit the player”, it’s clearly bugged, because I’ve seen firsthand mobs that hit me just fine and yet I can’t hurt them.

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

My guardian has this happen a lot underwater. I will be right next to the mob with a melee weapon when it suddenly decides I am not worth it’s time and swims away healing itself and invulnerable.
Of course it will come back to try to chew me up but it can decide this more than once if I don’t kill it very quickly.
I never do the ‘aquatic killer’ achievement on that character.
I have also had this happen to my main Ranger on occassion. It is usually involving the mob (edit: while the mob is standing on the platform/stairs) hitting me while on a platform or stairs. It can be very frustrating when you’re squishy.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

(edited by Infernia.9847)

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

The best fight in this game is the giant risen in cursed shore that makes himself invulnerable thanks to his own stupid mechanic that he rushes off at light speeds, running too far off from the party making him god until he runs back… he does this quite a few times too, during every fight with him.

Epic design.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

This actually affects wvwvw aswell,ive had it had so many times that im standing infront of someones face,hitting the person and missing most hits,or either he suddenly is invulnerable for no apparant reason,no buffs whatsoever.I Really think theres somthing wrong with the hitbox detection.

Posted by: Agrios.1957

Agrios.1957

Whats the point of boasting the whole z-axis stuff when you cant use high ground tactics?

Its just ridiculous.

Posted by: Kaynehril.5907

Kaynehril.5907

The z-axis problem is easily solved without having to add any clever AI mechanisms. All they need to do is get creative and allow every mob to have two types of attacks.

Melee and ranged.

If you kite a mob to a place where you can hit it, but it can’t hit you back, the mob would just change to his ranged set and still deal damage to you.

Oh! And before you say anything, on a game where you have bows shooting unicorns and rainbows, I think a deer shooting lasor beams would be cannon. That’s where they could get creative.

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

Risen Hylek shoot poisoned ‘snot’ from their nostrils, so a deer with a laser cannon would fit in. How about a porcupine with razor quill shot?
I see a fix for this issue as feasible but not likely on the dev’s high priority list of things to fix at the moment.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

Whatever code they use to determine when a monster is “unable to hit the player”, it’s clearly bugged, because I’ve seen firsthand mobs that hit me just fine and yet I can’t hurt them.

Yes, the pathfinding is very bugged, but it IS a bug nevertheless. It is not by design, which is what the OP seems to think.

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

this happens often. easy solution would be mobs that are invulnerable can’t damage you.

Posted by: tuck.2719

tuck.2719

this happens often. easy solution would be mobs that are invulnerable can’t damage you.

Why did it take an entire thread for someone to suggest that?

I feel like there might be some other exploit in that concept that they’re concerned about, but I can’t think what it might be.

Posted by: Kaynehril.5907

Kaynehril.5907

Why did it take an entire thread for someone to suggest that?

I feel like there might be some other exploit in that concept that they’re concerned about, but I can’t think what it might be.

I’m going to give the example of harpies in Fractals. They usually get invulnerable when someone they are targeting is knocked into the air (at least it looks like that from experience).

After that, most of the group will be unable to damage it, but there will be someone who actually can.

So imagine 4 guys watching 1 guy getting killed because he is the only one who can do damage and he is being damaged back while others are unable to join and help.

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

I think it’s a bug. More importantly, it’s a misdesign bug. I think movement pathing gets priority over attack ranges when the invulnerability net kicks in. Also, LOS pathing checks and blocking checks are poorly implemented here (hitting under the wall attacks in several known areas and dungeons).

That said, the AI could use a bit of a revamp in this matter.

Posted by: garraeth.3267

garraeth.3267

The best fight in this game is the giant risen in cursed shore that makes himself invulnerable thanks to his own stupid mechanic that he rushes off at light speeds, running too far off from the party making him god until he runs back… he does this quite a few times too, during every fight with him.

Epic design.

Ya that one (and of plinx chain) is hilarious —no sarcasm, but huge rolleyes when it happens.

On the other hand it seems like, when you’re the one he’s got targeted (you know, he really sticks to one person forever — imo, broken threat AI), and you try to leash to save your life, it takes miles to get him to drop aggro.

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

Only time I have seen mobs go invulnerable is when they’re performing some scripted action (moving to a specific location, or forcing players to focus on a different phase of the fight like dodging asteroids, etc), or someone is attempting to exploit them (hitting them from a location where they can not hit back), or bugging out (usually underwater). The last one is the only part I see that needs fixing. The rest seem like non-issues and I don’t understand the complaint.

Posted by: Shousa.6870

Shousa.6870

I for one think that any tactic that involves you having advantage is a good tactic. I can never grasp and probably wont the reasoning behind this invuln thing. They can sugarcoat however they want it, but it in my mind higher ground is the most basic logic behind any tactical warfare. If you can not attack me move away from me but in no way it shoud become invuln

Most absurd thing in this game is Cursed Shore 1st camp outside champion abomination. His charging attack where he runs off for ridiculous distances and then becomes invulv and slowly walks back, if he runs just far enaugh he can reset even for large amount of players, 2 to 3 players he reseting for that reason is comon thing now. Every time he does that I am more and more convinced there must be some medically explainable barrier in their mental health when they created this in an open world environment.

Edge.4180

I for one think that any tactic that involves you having advantage is a good tactic. I can never grasp and probably wont the reasoning behind this invuln thing. They can sugarcoat however they want it, but it in my mind higher ground is the most basic logic behind any tactical warfare. If you can not attack me move away from me but in no way it shoud become invuln

This has been a necessary evil since back in Everquest. Whether it’s mobs becoming invulnerable, summoning you to them, or teleporting on top of you.. the gist of it is simple: players should never be able to attack a mob in a way that it can’t fight back. There is no reward without risk. You are not at risk when you stand on top of a roof and use ranged attacks on a creature being controlled by AI that is not smart enough to reach you or properly respond to the threat you represent.

Posted by: garraeth.3267

garraeth.3267

This has been a necessary evil since back in Everquest. Whether it’s mobs becoming invulnerable, summoning you to them, or teleporting on top of you.. the gist of it is simple: players should never be able to attack a mob in a way that it can’t fight back. There is no reward without risk. You are not at risk when you stand on top of a roof and use ranged attacks on a creature being controlled by AI that is not smart enough to reach you or properly respond to the threat you represent.

I definitely see where you’re coming from (and devs through history). But what about having the mob do what a player would do in that case (can’t hit back)? And just run away. And if they can’t run away (blocked in for whatever reason), they die. Same as a player. If you can’t leash, you eat it.

There might be a zillion thing wrong with that idea, so I’m just putting it out as a question for feedback on.

edit: so instead of an “invol” flag getting set, a “turn around and calculate a path within a 45-degree pie slice region away from the attacker” – flag is set.

(edited by garraeth.3267)

Posted by: serialkicker.5274

serialkicker.5274

And how many games have you played where AI is as smart as human player? None, right? And still you can use tactics in your advantage in almost any game. And they are not broken because of it. Also, in gw2, like many said you can still get hit by mob in most cases, so why the heck i can’t hit him?
Besides, it’s not just exploiting environment in your advantage, i got mobs invulnerability in the middle of fight on flat ground. I was hitting them and suddenly they turned invul for no freaking reason. That happened mostly in citadel of flame dungeon.

Edge.4180

Only time I have seen mobs go invulnerable is when they’re performing some scripted action (moving to a specific location, or forcing players to focus on a different phase of the fight like dodging asteroids, etc), or someone is attempting to exploit them (hitting them from a location where they can not hit back), or bugging out (usually underwater). The last one is the only part I see that needs fixing. The rest seem like non-issues and I don’t understand the complaint.

I just want to clarify on this comment I made earlier. Besides the obvious “fix the underwater bug” request I’m keen on, my main problem with the invulnerable flag is often in the way it’s presented.

There is an event-chain south of Lion’s Arch where a particular pirate enjoys raiding a particular burial site. Every so often she teleports to a specific location, goes invulnerable, and red warning circles begin to appear all over the ground.

I understand that she is invulnerable because we’re in a different “phase” of the fight.. the “focus on avoiding the exploding blasts and not the pirate” phase. My problem is that there is no in-game reason as to why she’s invulnerable, she just is. Why not throw a bubble effect around her, or have her temporarily vanish in an obvious puff of smoke? Something that says “I can’t be hurt right now, and here’s why”.

Because, really.. no matter how many times she does this there are always players blowing cooldowns on her while she’s invulnerable. The text “invulnerable” and the invulnerable state icon are clearly not getting the message across to these folks, and I really don’t see the harm in improving the presentation to make it all at least a little bit more rational.

A mob needs to go invulnerable as per part of the script? That’s fine. Just.. don’t be tacky about it.

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

I’ve experienced this way too often. I’ll be hitting a mob and sitting right next to it, and it’ll become temporarily invulnerable to my attacks. Oh, but he can still hurt me, of course.

It’s a bug in the way the game’s combat functions. Mobs are supposed to try to run up to you or shoot at you, and if it’s determined that they cannot hit you, they become immune to your attacks. The idea is to prevent you from exploiting their AI by attacking from a place they cannot reach. The problem is, it doesn’t always correctly detect the monster’s location relative to the player, so sometimes I’m attacking a mob that is literally right in front of me, and yet he’ll be immune to my damage and hitting me back just fine.

Everyone realizes some skills cause invulnerability right?

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

This also happens when you attack a foe from somewhere they cannot reach and then suddenly they turn on GODMODE and regenerate all their health.

I thought skill was advertised as being a good thing in this game? Positioning is not when you do it the most effective way, which is where the foe cannot reach you to attack you, but you can attack them.

Unbelievable.

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I agree OP terrible mechanics, happens to me so much underwater…

Fight mob, middle of fight mobs loses interest goes invulnerable?, regens health, kills me because i do NOT regen..

critickitten.1498

Everyone realizes some skills cause invulnerability right?

That’s not it. We’re not completely stupid. :p

This happens on monsters that do not have invulnerability. It’s an obvious bug in the way the game determines whether a monster can “hit” a player or not.

Rifter.6591

The really stupid thisng about this is it cant be that hard to program the mobs so that if they are doing damage then they cant be invulnerable, i mean this is such a basic concept it cant be that hard to fix. I can see recoding the whole pathfinding to take a while but a simple flag to disable invulnerability if the mob is dealing damage is very simple and fast fix.