In my opinion, leveling is not fun

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

But Guild Wars 2 is all about Exploration. And Exploration levels your character. I don’t know what you are after, but the zones of GW2 are beautiful, and exploring them is fun.

Exploring gets old fast when you’ve already explored said zones.

The problem with leveling a new character when you already have three or more 80’s is that you’ve already done everything there is to do and ANet hasn’t really released any new content to alleviate the process.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Posted by: Minami Kaori.2548

Minami Kaori.2548

You also get plenty of tomes nowadays which further speed-up the leveling process. My Engineer is currently level 60 with 30 minutes of play-time, simply because of Tomes, Boosts etc.

Where do you get these “plenty of tomes”? In all my playtime, I had gotten/found all of 5 tomes, and 3 of those came from exchanging glory points for them.

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

But Guild Wars 2 is all about Exploration. And Exploration levels your character. I don’t know what you are after, but the zones of GW2 are beautiful, and exploring them is fun.

Exploring gets old fast when you’ve already explored said zones.

The problem with leveling a new character when you already have three or more 80’s is that you’ve already done everything there is to do and ANet hasn’t really released any new content to alleviate the process.

Well, I don’t get bored in the zones I’ve been to previously, but I guess that’s just me. Also, I try to do zones I haven’t done for a while. But hey, valid point, leveling after having done it many times before may certainly be a drag for some players.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

I really do not mind how long it takes to level. I just play the game and have fun. In the mean time leveling happens as it should.

What I do not like it getting five points/five levels. I really liked spending the one point every level. It felt more like I was growing.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I’ve gotta say… GW2 has the most casual (and FAST) leveling of any MMO I’ve played in the last decade. If you find this “painful” you may want to find another genre entirely.

You do remember gw2 was advertised as “if you’ve never played an mmo this is the one for you.”

Many people here dislike other mmo’s for that exact reason. Things take too long to get to what people actually want to play.

That is an interesting question and distinction.

Is the original post about the process of leveling itself? Examples of better rewards for leveling? Speed (compared to)? Other?

Or…is this about leveling as a concept? Meaning, you want to come in Call of Duty on day one, gear up, and play ‘the end game’?

I’d like to skip leveling altogether. Chase gears/chase traits but forget the leveling.
Or make it shorter. This is my first mmo, and I find leveling to be quite dull, it’s just not what I’m after in this game.

here’s the thing: I’ve already explored all of the zones, and some of them more than once across many alts. i have no reason to explor as much anymore. Now i just want to “play the way i want”, but I don’t really have that option anymore either.

Me too. I have done all the dungeons, all the world events. Might I add, some of the dungeon I have done hundreds of times too. Now I just want a legendary, Anet should just mail me a legendary. But I really dont’ have that option too.

Anyway, you can just buy your way to level80 with crafting. It isn’t even expensive compare to what I want.

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

Levelling is such a core concept. Not saying every MMO Includes it, but trust me, if EQ next were going to dispence with levelling, you would KNOW. If you have to wonder…. Levleling is part of the experience.

Well, turns out that EQN won’t have levels and I still had to briefly dig through their wiki. There seem to be just as much character progression, but no levels. Sounds nice actually, it appears that they’ve found an alternative to levels, which is refreshing to say the least.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

I’ve gotta say… GW2 has the most casual (and FAST) leveling of any MMO I’ve played in the last decade. If you find this “painful” you may want to find another genre entirely.

You do remember gw2 was advertised as “if you’ve never played an mmo this is the one for you.”

Many people here dislike other mmo’s for that exact reason. Things take too long to get to what people actually want to play.

That is an interesting question and distinction.

Is the original post about the process of leveling itself? Examples of better rewards for leveling? Speed (compared to)? Other?

Or…is this about leveling as a concept? Meaning, you want to come in Call of Duty on day one, gear up, and play ‘the end game’?

I’d like to skip leveling altogether. Chase gears/chase traits but forget the leveling.
Or make it shorter. This is my first mmo, and I find leveling to be quite dull, it’s just not what I’m after in this game.

here’s the thing: I’ve already explored all of the zones, and some of them more than once across many alts. i have no reason to explor as much anymore. Now i just want to “play the way i want”, but I don’t really have that option anymore either.

Then take a break from the game. Sounds like you’re kind of burnt out on it. When that happens to me(in any mmo, that happens for me….just the nature of the genre) taking a break from the game for awhile does wonders.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Posted by: Serelisk.6573

Serelisk.6573

I agree completely, this was a poor way to change progression to 80. I’m not exactly sure what they tried to accomplish with this, I’m level 35 with my second Necromancer and I still can’t get a class defining characteristic through any major trait. That’s pretty horrendous.

Kegmaster

Posted by: stayBlind.7849

stayBlind.7849

Get to end-game!

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

Levelling is such a core concept. Not saying every MMO Includes it, but trust me, if EQ next were going to dispence with levelling, you would KNOW. If you have to wonder…. Levleling is part of the experience.

Well, turns out that EQN won’t have levels and I still had to briefly dig through their wiki. There seem to be just as much character progression, but no levels. Sounds nice actually, it appears that they’ve found an alternative to levels, which is refreshing to say the least.

I found an article on PCGamer’s website. And yes it seems they are going to dispense with Leveling. I have to admit, I am now looking forward to EQ Next even more than before. Will be interesting to play. but it seems that the character progression will revolve around inlocking the other 40 or so classes and maybe skills.

Just curious, what is different between comparing a level 1 character that then " grinds" I prefer to think of it as playing anyway… to level 80,… and a character that starts with one class… and plays until he unlocks all 40?

Character progression is still character progression.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

There probably still going to be stats point or skill points which you have to grind. Which is similar to leveling.

The only difference is there wont’ be mobs 1 shotting you because you are 10 level below.

Posted by: Zel.8375

Zel.8375

I just want to say, to people that find it gets dull to explore, level, develop character, etc. after you have 2 or 3 level 80s:

Games don’t last forever. You reach the end of a single player game, you stop playing. Sometimes you replay it, or try to get the most out of it. But when you’ve done the majority of the content STOP and MOVE ON to something else. Don’t keep desperately clinging to the game and wailing for changes to enhance your -specific- experience. Other people need to go through this process, just like you did.

Everyone gets a different kind of enjoyment out of a game, so have fun with what you like and accept that the game will not be completely tuned to your preferences. And again, if it gets to the point where everything is tedious and annoying… it may be time to take a break. Come back when there’s fresh content.

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

Heh, OP must never have played Warhammer Online.

Before they made it more ez mode, that grind from 40 renown to 100 was epic.

The end game quest to get the chest piece for your WF armor is still the dumbest thing I’ve ever done in an MMo.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

The difference with games that do not use character levels as progression markers is that they inevitably require you to grind out skill levels or experience to unlock levels in increasingly higher and higher amounts. One game I used to play had character levels AND skill levels. In order to level skills from 1 to 100, it required you to gather skill xp on the order of several million. And that’s several million xp assuming you play one trick pony through all the fights due to other skills siphoning skill xp when you use them as well. Oh, you hit a massive skill xp wall once your skills reach 30. After that, it takes you roughly 10 character levels to gain 1 skill level. On top of that, once your character reached level 100, they stopped gaining skill xp.

The leveling in guild wars 2 is worse than it was in gw1 (merely by numbers), but it is far tamer than the leveling in many other games.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

The only difference is there wont’ be mobs 1 shotting you because you are 10 level below.

Even that must not be true. Ultima Online also had no level, however once a friend wanted me to try it on a free server, and he even gave me a full set of gear. Then i tried to fight a stupid deer, and that one killed me so fast.

In the end we could also just remove the visual view of the level number, but we still get more stats every now and then, so that a new lvl 1 has 200 life but somebody who played longer has 20.000 or whatever.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

I enjoy leveling up with different classes, but that said I’ve made two “instant 80s” already.

The first was my mesmer because we needed more mesmers in WvW so I made one quickly.

The second was another warrior (already leveled one up) because I wanted to have one with WvW gear/spec and another setup for PvE.

A level 20 scroll (from birthdays or achievements) and 60 tomes of knowledge (easily available through PvP now) is all you need.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

ya just buy your way to lvl80 or dungeon switch alt like so many *. I honestly hope Anet would do something about people dungeon switching at the end of the run.

What is it with people wanting to change thing that dont affect them in the least?????

You don’t like switching, then don’t switch…

yBut I think majority of the people are just farmers, weather that is legendary, or farming eotm, or fractal skin farmers.

Honestly just look at what people is doing in eotm. If there is any confrontation, people either port back and walk the other way so they can continue their farm, there isn’t even much fighting.

Well if you put it that way, everything in the game outside of rp is farming. >.>
again, how does people doing this affect you?

(btw, I’m actually not all that interested in fractal skins/drops. I just like the idea of being able content that few do.)

So why complain. You are just farming level instead of whatever you are farming at lvl80.

ok…lets put it this way
farming hearts may be fun to you, it isnt to me. I want to do fractals/dungeons and WvW.
You can call everything farming, doesn’t mean the method of farming is the same.

Is it so wrong for people to not enjoy leveling, but do enjoy the rest of the game, and just want to do that part of the game?

You mean Anet being a **** by forcing people to swing a sword 1 million time before they can enjoy their self?

Welcome to mmorpg my friend.

you make it sound like it’s ok and something should just deal with rather than complain about and hope gets improved in some way.

No I’m saying it’s pitful to complain. Because mmorpg company purposely make games grindy so people will play longer.

Honest question, was this irony? Like they literally said you are not supposed to have to swing your sword one million times before getting to the fun stuff. Which in that context was like big world bosses and such. I don’t understand (never did) why dungeons only start at lvl 30.
Now I have not leveled another character but I can indeed imagine that gaining a level might be very … dull for a long time. Unless it’s your first character or your first of a certain race there is nothing new to unlock in terms of skins for example – you are not looking forward to lvl X to equip gear Y. There is no “trait” point to “waste” – something I liked.
Anyways, that “I made it” feeling when reaching max level was never there for me – but exactly because I felt that leveling was such a breeze. The only frustrating part I encountered at the beginning was map completion in some parts of Orr because of all the contested waypoints.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

To each their own but I like the new system a lot. There could be a little more before level 30 that does seem like too many levels without a lot of progression but otherwise I like the new system.

Posted by: joneb.5679

joneb.5679

But its also boring after 4 capped characters

I use forums to give my opinions but I mostly avoid discussing over
them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

Posted by: Dracones.9105

Dracones.9105

A problem is that the game sort of lacks leveling content. Dungeons are a no-go until you hit max level unless you want to be kicked from groups all the time(great newbie experience here BTW) and in WvW you’re just so much weaker than a level 80 toon.

That pretty much leaves the explorable world and personal story line.