In my opinion: multi-guild system is a problem (social issues)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: PolarApe.9351

PolarApe.9351

I thought it was great at first – I started the game in a small guild of friends, that’s not very active, but occasionally I like to rep it so I can communicate with the people in it. I thought, “this is great – I can keep in touch with these guys that aren’t that serious, AND be in a larger more serious guild like I want to be”. But no. Apparently, not full-time repping is a kick-able offense if you join almost any larger guild. You will get hassled to rep constantly, and eventually you’ll just have to leave because of harassment or get kicked.

TLDR: No one allows you to actually rep any guild other than their own, these days – you will be kicked for daring to actually rep one of the smaller guilds you’re in. So what’s the point of the multi-guild system, in that case?

Posted by: Vermillion Hawk.9037

Vermillion Hawk.9037

Well I suppose it was a system based on the principle that the average person is not a kitten.

Grand Master of The Knights Hospitaller [STJ]
Isle of Janthir – Sylvari Mesmer – Alexandre Le Grande

Posted by: Hawkmoon.5849

Hawkmoon.5849

I agree, the system is a huge flaw in the game. First, it works against guild loyalty, and actually weakens the “community” feel of a guild. Why would I want anything to do with a guild when I log in that only has 2 members online, and neither of them are “representing”?

Also (and this is the biggest thing, in my mind) This completely ruins any possibility of GvG combat being meaningful.

I fail to see why ANet didn’t bring over the system from GW1, which worked fine the way it was: You belong to a guild, you create an alliance.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Hope is the carrot dangled before the draft horse that plods along in the vain attempt to reach it

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

TLDR: No one allows you to actually rep any guild other than their own, these days – you will be kicked for daring to actually rep one of the smaller guilds you’re in.

Then let them kick you. Why would you want to be in a guild run by a little kitten anyway?

Things are amazingly simple when you sit down and look at everyone in terms of " Would I would put up with this kind of behavior IRL?". If the answer is “no”, wave bye bye and head on your way.

Posted by: Keirion.9105

Keirion.9105

The multiple guild system is an upgrade of both the GW1 style guild system and the WoW+clones style guild system where your guild was character based. You aren’t limited to one guild per account, but you also don’t have to join a guild on every single character.

As far as being kicked for not repping sometimes, it sounds like your guild has some self importance problems and you should probably find another guild. Alternatively you could always go invisible when playing not with them if that would help any.

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

I think this guild system is actually one of the best “new” features of an MMO. The problems you describe have more to do with crappy guilds (spoiler: most are) than with the guild system. One of the reasons I like this system is that it makes it much more transparent just how self-important some guild leaders are, and gives rank and file players more of a choice and more power to find better guilds.

(edited by Leablo.2651)

Posted by: Araziel.7201

Araziel.7201

They really should add the feature of when you aren’t repping a guild you can’t be seen online on it’s roster. As it is now if you are repping another guild they know you are repping another. When you go invis you can’t see guild chat so that doesn’t help.

And tools that let a guild see the last date and time people were repping their guild.

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

If you’re trying to run a decent guild to get kitten done, you don’t generally want a bunch of weekend-warriors. If some random casual has 5 guilds, what in the world makes you think they’re the serious players for your guild,

The multi-guild system is useless and designed for guild-kittens (term for the sexually-generous.) You don’t generally want to be heaped in with some of those people constantly trying and hoping to keep their attention on your guild all the time. You want a one member, one guild locked relationship.

Tolmos.8395

They really should add the feature of when you aren’t repping a guild you can’t be seen online on it’s roster. As it is now if you are repping another guild they know you are repping another. When you go invis you can’t see guild chat so that doesn’t help.

And tools that let a guild see the last date and time people were repping their guild.

I guess one option, though not ideal, would be to log in as invisible. I think that should remove you from the guild list. (this does exist, right? Im not online to look and never used it on GW2, but I know the option existed in Guild Wars 1 >_>)

Honestly, just hiding you from the guild list probably won’t do anything to help because of the GL is such a kitten that he is going to require you to rep his guild 100% of the time or throwy a hissy fit tantrum, he’s probably going to put all his members on friends list after that update and check each and every one. :-P

Again, I say just do whatever you want to and if you get booted? Good. Saved you the trouble of quitting. =D

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

So you wanna guild around, but you don’t want your guild leader checking your phone? Are you doing something you shouldn’t?

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

So if a guild insists that you have to rep, and you don’t want to, what you do is leave that guild.

Because you don’t need them for anything.

This isn’t like WoW or something where you need them to get your stuff. What little you need to group for in GW2 is 100% puggable with ease.

Then they can post about how unfair it is that you don’t need them and how the game mechanics need to change so that guilding is required to min/max your character (they’ll phrase it as, system that encourages people to join guilds). It won’t happen either, which I think is fantastic.

<—- Guildless player (I’m in my 1 person guild actually, so I have my own guild bank heh), legendary, all infused ascended, all dungeon paths cleared, Fractal difficulty 40.

Poor guilds. They might have to just count on people wanting to be around them, rather than holding in game advantages that force you to submit to doing things the way they want it done.

(edited by Minion of Vey.4398)

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

My main guild is a large active guild and we require 100% repping so that we can keep up all buffs 24/7 for our members. I like this guild a lot so I don’t mind.

My other guilds I think of like extended friend’s lists. I can always peek in to see what they are up to and party up with them for anything if I want.

Tolmos.8395

So if a guild insists that you have to rep, and you don’t want to, what you do is leave that guild.

Because you don’t need them for anything.

This isn’t like WoW or something where you need them to get your stuff. What little you need to group for in GW2 is 100% puggable with ease.

And even if you did need them for something, this game is loaded with guilds. As the saying goes: “There are plenty of fish left in the sea”.

Don’t pidgeonhole yourself into a guild run by a lifeless basement dweller or twelve year old kid who thinks that because you are in their guild, they are your god and when they say “jump” your only reply should be “how high?”. You will quickly find your enjoyment of the game ruined by people and communities like that. It would be better to play solo than to deal with that sort of situation.

Araziel.7201

So you wanna guild around, but you don’t want your guild leader checking your phone? Are you doing something you shouldn’t?

Lol, that’s why I said give the guilds tools to see the last time the person was repping their guild and individual rep earned. Then you can easily decide if the person is worth keeping. Current system is bogus.

Araziel.7201

I am in a PvE guild with some people I played AoC with and was in one for strictly WvW. The WvW one ended up kicking me after two days of not repping when I had earned tons of rep for that guild.

They were using their own system that checked if you were repping when you logged in. So while I was off grinding dungeons for gear and relogging using alts to run them again, I logged 17 log ins without repping. So that was how they made their decision, lol.

When asked if I wanted back in I just chuckled and said no. I don’t blame them though they had about a 400 man roster and the tools to manage it are bad.

Posted by: ndrangles.5183

ndrangles.5183

uh, doesn’t that just strengthen their point?

Majyyks [Os] – NSP

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

One advantage of being able to rep multiple guilds helps in WvW. The main guild I am in is PvP orientated but we created a second guild for PvE so when you decide to PvE, you rep that guild.

In WvW, a guild can only claim one place (castle, keep, tower or camp) on a map. The benefit for WvW is that when you claim a castle, keep or tower, you can use your PvP guild and place full buffs on it. At the same time, you can use the PvE guild to claim something smaller like a supply camp and put +15 Supply buff on it.

Now you have two places claimed on a single map.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

i think the point of multiple guilds is to make your different chars belong to multiple guilds.

role playing purposes.

(edited by alcopaul.2156)

Posted by: Rikimeru Tokesbudz.3816

Rikimeru Tokesbudz.3816

i dont see a problem. follow the guild rules or find another guild. the multiguild system is stupid to begin with, and i dont understand how you think its wrong that other people do not want to use it just because you like it.

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

Yeah, I disagree. It is not a flaw in the system, it is a problem with the policy of the guild leaders for the guilds you are in. I am the leader of a relatively small guild. I do not kick people who don’t represent. However, if I see some one who hasn’t represented at all in a long time, I demote them to a rank that does not include bank access privileges.

Rikimeru Tokesbudz.3816

Yeah, I disagree. It is not a flaw in the system, it is a problem with the policy of the guild leaders for the guilds you are in. I am the leader of a relatively small guild. I do not kick people who don’t represent. However, if I see some one who hasn’t represented at all in a long time, I demote them to a rank that does not include bank access privileges.

no its not a problem with the policy of the guild. its the problem of people like you who think everyone should play the game the exact same way you do, and if they run THEIR guild differently than you think they should you complain that they are wrong, when in reality you are wrong.

Posted by: DevilLordLaser.8619

DevilLordLaser.8619

The multi-guild system is useless and designed for guild-kittens (term for the sexually-generous.) You don’t generally want to be heaped in with some of those people constantly trying and hoping to keep their attention on your guild all the time. You want a one member, one guild locked relationship.

Let’s amend this statement, shall we? YOU, as a guild leader for a SRS BSNS guild, want your members on a one member/one guild locked relationship, so that you can reap the full benefits of all my playtime. Even that playtime which is spent with friends other than the folks in your own guild, doing things other than the SRS BSNS your guild is aiming for. What you want is for me to dedicate my time to your ends, and to Torment with me if I want to do something other than dungeon-run for seven hours and put all my drops/gold in the guild bank for you.

As a player of the game rather than the leader of a SRS BSNS guild (hint: there’s a lot more of me than there are of you), I really enjoy the multi-guilding system. One thing it allows for that no one’s given it real credit for yet, at least in this thread, is a Try Before You Buy system. I’m currently in a smallish guild of casuals who do PvE work, jump puzzles, the occasional dungeon run, and just hang out. They’re a cool bunch, and I’m glad I met them, but I only did because of multi-guilding. Multi-guilding means I don’t have to treat my guild as a precious decision to be made Once And Only Once – I can get an invite from a couple of cool folks I meet in the world and go “A’ight, why not?” It is a system which allows me to – GASP! – make friends where I would otherwise be forced to be insular and standoffish out of fear of ‘wasting’ my one-and-only-one guild spot. The social issues are not inherent in the system, but are instead inherent in selfish guild leaders who feel as if the mere gift of their guild tag means they have a majority stake in your game account.

Perhaps, if your players are constantly representing someone else’s guild and generally staying clear of yours, it’s on your head as a guild leader to try and convince them to help you out, prove to them that you’re worth their time, instead of on theirs to get themselves back into your slave pens like proper little influence monkeys?

Posted by: Seren.6850

Seren.6850

As a large pve guild, we let people rep a wvw guild when they are in wvw. still kind of frustrating when some people ONLY rep to spam lfg in guild chat then change back to another guild soon as they get a group

SoS original -“They mostly come out at night … mostly”
[FIRE] Serene Snow, Warrior

Posted by: lothefallen.7081

lothefallen.7081

I agree…i think the fact they are adding this new guild mission content is just a bad idea in the current state. They should limit the amount of guilds you can be in to 2-3 or just take it out altogether. It’s toxic to the social atmosphere. The combat system, the group dynamic, the guild system…none of it fosters much of a continued relationship in the majority of the community. I’d like to see this addressed.

The Ardent Aegis
http://aa-guild.shivtr.com/

Rikimeru Tokesbudz.3816

Let’s amend this statement, shall we? YOU, as a guild leader for a SRS BSNS guild, want your members on a one member/one guild locked relationship, so that you can reap the full benefits of all my playtime. Even that playtime which is spent with friends other than the folks in your own guild, doing things other than the SRS BSNS your guild is aiming for. What you want is for me to dedicate my time to your ends, and to Torment with me if I want to do something other than dungeon-run for seven hours and put all my drops/gold in the guild bank for you.

As a player of the game rather than the leader of a SRS BSNS guild (hint: there’s a lot more of me than there are of you), I really enjoy the multi-guilding system. One thing it allows for that no one’s given it real credit for yet, at least in this thread, is a Try Before You Buy system. I’m currently in a smallish guild of casuals who do PvE work, jump puzzles, the occasional dungeon run, and just hang out. They’re a cool bunch, and I’m glad I met them, but I only did because of multi-guilding. Multi-guilding means I don’t have to treat my guild as a precious decision to be made Once And Only Once – I can get an invite from a couple of cool folks I meet in the world and go “A’ight, why not?” It is a system which allows me to – GASP! – make friends where I would otherwise be forced to be insular and standoffish out of fear of ‘wasting’ my one-and-only-one guild spot. The social issues are not inherent in the system, but are instead inherent in selfish guild leaders who feel as if the mere gift of their guild tag means they have a majority stake in your game account.

Perhaps, if your players are constantly representing someone else’s guild and generally staying clear of yours, it’s on your head as a guild leader to try and convince them to help you out, prove to them that you’re worth their time, instead of on theirs to get themselves back into your slave pens like proper little influence monkeys?

actually the one guild policy builds strong tight knit guilds. mulitguild policy creates an atmosphere of disposable guilds that you throw in the trash once you get what you want. if you like that fine multi guild away but dont kitten when others dont like it and dont allow it in their guild. the guild im in has always had a one guild policy, and it has been around for at least 10 years now, and survived the jump to multiple new games. nobody is saying you shouldnt use the multiguild system if you want to, but dont kitten because some guilds dont want to use it. not all guilds want to be a nonfactor disposable guild(sorry for the generalization, but imo its appropriate with the way the multiguild system works) .

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

The current guild system lets guilds stand on their own merits. And now we find that just like IRL politics, the people who want to be in charge are usually the people who shouldn’t be. Most guilds can’t stand on their own legs, they need mechanics to push people into them. Just like most work teams don’t spend much time with each other outside of work. Not being work is a great feature of GW2.

Yeah, yeah, endgame grind does make me want to spork my eyes out occasionally. But if you just want to play you can just play and be decently prepared for whatever you come across.

Rikimeru Tokesbudz.3816

The current guild system lets guilds stand on their own merits. And now we find that just like IRL politics, the people who want to be in charge are usually the people who shouldn’t be. Most guilds can’t stand on their own legs, they need mechanics to push people into them. Just like most work teams don’t spend much time with each other outside of work. Not being work is a great feature of GW2.

Yeah, yeah, endgame grind does make me want to spork my eyes out occasionally. But if you just want to play you can just play and be decently prepared for whatever you come across.

idk about your guild but the guild im in has never wanted people pushed into our guild, we only want people who want to be in our guild, which if your running around with another guild tag on you obviously dont want to be in our guild very much.

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

nobody is saying you shouldnt use the multiguild system if you want to, but dont kitten because some guilds dont want to use it. not all guilds want to be a nonfactor disposable guild(sorry for the generalization, but imo its appropriate with the way the multiguild system works) .

1) Let’s make a trade. When hardcore SRS BSNS players stop demanding the multi-guild system be taken out, then people who multi-guild will stop complaining about how SRS BSNS players are trying to stop them from having fun.

2) Please stop generalizing about what people do with the multi-guilding system.

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

I think the majority of the posts in this topic show exactly why multi-guild system can be a problem. When people think guilds who insist their members represent full time are ‘Insert various insults mentioned here’ and guild hopping for complete self gain is fine.

Guilds that require people to have full time representation do it for several varying reasons.

1. Is the influence gain, For the largest of guilds for you to enjoy the boons they need a steady income of activity of people that represent. This is for the better of all the guild so everyone can enjoy the same guild boons.

2. Social aspect. PvX guilds that rely heavily on community to stick together. Guild hopping is a serious issue. No representation = no community. Nobody who wants a nice guild to chat and do stuff with want to represent to find only 2 of the 50 people online actually representing. It fractures communities.

I can see how it can be beneficial for some guilds that are dedicated to specific game types where people can swap to WvW guild when they do WvW and a Dungeon LFG guild if they want to find a dungeon group. In this instance the system is great.

But please, do not insult social guilds for insisting on full time representation or the large guilds who need influence to provide you boons. Sure some might abuse it but for the majority it’s a requirement to keep the guild together or the provide the boons.

There’s plenty of guilds that allow guild hopping if you just want to do whatever you want to do when you feel like it. If you want to be in a healthy community you will be expected to pinch in to make it work and all remain dedicated to that community.

Question therefore is whether you play the game for yourself or for the social communities.

I hope with the upcoming guild missions there will be more incentive for people to stick to the social guilds because as it currently stands it’s difficult to keep guilds together in ‘Party/Solo Wars 2’.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

(edited by Fay.2735)

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

The multi-guild system can be interesting—

I currently have one guild that I have set as a “primary” which I represent almost all the time, while the smaller guilds serve as an “extended friends list” that don’t mind me being in their guild roster while I rep my primary guild (which is something I ask first before joining any specialized guilds). For example, assorted “LFG” guilds that either focus on a particular dungeon; or just have common interests when running content (like being former players of other MMOs). I suppose the multi-guild system could work that way provided that you aren’t part of more than one guild that requires “100% representation”.

With that said, when it comes to looking for a guild, research their rules and regulations and if you agree with them, then go app or PM one of their officers. If you don’t like it, then there are other guilds out there that might suit your interests.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

Posted by: ZephyrAM.7364

ZephyrAM.7364

It can be a fairly simple issue.

If you lead a guild that requires full time representation, make that ‘abundantly’ clear to all members at all times. Don’t expect others to follow your rules if you don’t clearly express them.

And for players, if a guild requires full representation, don’t join it if you aren’t willing to give that.

Full separation of so stated players with completely different views on the matter. Don’t force us into your world, we won’t force you into ours.

Posted by: DevilLordLaser.8619

DevilLordLaser.8619

Originally, I was going to respond to this whole post piece by piece – not because I hated it or wanted to belittle its writer, but because it seemed the only one that was willing to debate instead of accuse – but the forum character limit hates guys who actually like to make more than one point in their posts, or use proper English >_>. So…just part of it, I suppose.

I think the majority of the posts in this topic show exactly why multi-guild system can be a problem. When people think guilds who insist their members represent full time are ‘Insert various insults mentioned here’ and guild hopping for complete self gain is fine.

First of all, I don’t guild hop for completely selfish gain. That’s a poor generalization of those who advocate the multi-guilding system and is unfair to us, ne? :P Gilosean said it the way it needs to be said – in GW2, guilds stand on their own merits. The game no longer forces you to like the guild you’re part of because it’s the only guild that was willing to take you and finding another one would be more trouble than it’s worth. You have to actually be Cool People, and to have/do/say things that interest your members in order to retain them instead of letting the game do it for you.

Guilds that require people to have full time representation do it for several varying reasons.

1. Is the influence gain, For the largest of guilds for you to enjoy the boons they need a steady income of activity of people that represent. This is for the better of all the guild so everyone can enjoy the same guild boons.

This is only applicable if the guild actually gives half a murrelow about its members, or does everything its members want to do. I have a friend who got into true SRS BSNS levels of WoW guild work, one of the upper-end raiding guilds, and those guys do not care about you, at all. They don’t care about what they can do for you, what they can do to earn your trust and participation, whether or not you’re having fun. All they care about is you doing your part in their VRY SRS BSNS. Yes, they generally also have various expensive guild amenities that a “lesser” guild might not have, but I feel that the price isn’t worth it. I’m not looking to be your employee, Mr. Guild Leader Person, especially when the position is unpaid, and especially when doing anything but whatever you’re (not) being paid to do counts as dereliction of duty.

This isn’t as much of a problem as it might be, of course, because usually the folks who join these types of guilds are looking for just exactly that. But what they’re not realizing is that the multi-guilding system can help even them, because some players who might want to try being in a SRS BSNS guild could do so, via multi-guilding, without having to sacrifice their friends/loved ones/immortal soul to VRY SRS BSNS without actually knowing if they even like that guild first.

Set up a trial rank if you like, one that has limited access to guild amenities and lower priority for any of your events, but which can multi-guild if they like. You get to recruit from a much wider pool of players, and just maybe you’ll convince a few of those dirty, dirty casuals that they can hack it as Hardcore Pwnmasters and abandon their pagan casual ways.

Question therefore is whether you play the game for yourself or for the social communities.

Oh, I don’t know. The multi-guilding system managed to make at least some manner of guild player out of a guy who’s normally as close to a dedicated solo player as he can get without going and playing Devil May Cry, instead. Gotta be worth something, eh?

Tolmos.8395

and guild hopping for complete self gain is fine.

Because being social is the worst thing in the entire world, right?

Sorry, but if my GL decides he wants to be a kitten and dictate who I can and can’t talk to in game, he can do without me in his guild. I don’t have time for some whiney basement dweller to flex his kitten and try to show me who’s boss whenever I decide I want to pop over and help my RL friend guild or chat with that strange little RP guild that hovers around some tavern in Divinity’s Reach.

If folks are willing to break up with significant others and divorce spouses for such insane overbearing behavior, you can bet they’ll be more than willing to drop a guild over it in a heartbeat.

Fay.2735

First of all, I don’t guild hop for completely selfish gain… -Snip- …instead of letting the game do it for you.

People guild hop because they want to play with their friends in their various guilds and/or they guild hop because they want to enjoy the various perks of those various guild.

You don’t guild hop to contribute your time to those guilds because it means the little amount you do represent will be of little help to those guilds social functioning and influence gain especially since you dictate when you feel like contributing rather than staying loyal and involved. You are essentially taking advantage of them at your own volition and not for what’s best for a specific guilds community.

I’m not saying that is a bad thing, If that is what you want from the game that is your own prerogative and if such guilds allow this that is also their choice and that is fine. My issue with it is the attitude of a lot of posters in the topic that flat out insult those who try to establish a more solid community.

Also I wouldn’t want people in the guild who didn’t want to be there so the full representation thing goes without saying really. If you don’t want to represent then why bother? We all want to be there with each other so what’s the point of having someone who just pops in when he feels like it rather than want to be there all the time with us like we do.

This is only applicable if the guild actually gives half a murrelow about its members… – Snip – … abandon their pagan casual ways.

I want to clarify that I do not run a large guild that has 100% uptime of guild boons but some specific large guilds do have that focus of providing people all boons at all time and I tried to explain that this is the reason why they require the full time representation.

I don’t personally support the notion of having a guild just for the reason of boons and agree that some of them might do it for selfish reasons also (I heard some stories of that effect). That’s not to say all of the larger guilds do it for this and to generalise them would be as bad as to generalise guilds that expect full representation.

My own guild uses a trial period where newcomers will use the trial rank where they can determine if they like us and we them etc. There’s no specific timeframe to the trial just restriction of some guild functions in case the person has ulterior motives, though you can never be sure of that. I also always warn people that we expect full representation because we need it to keep a solid social community

(Also if this was aimed towards me “Mr. Guild Leader Person” I’m female.).

Oh, I don’t know. …-snip-… Gotta be worth something, eh?

I have no issue with the multi-guild system itself. I’m not generalising guild hoppers and I’m sure there are many varying reasons for. I have no issue with them or such guilds so I apologies if you got that impression.

I only responded to this thread because I’m tired of people randomly insulting guilds like mine that expect full representation.

The real issue behind the issue of guild hopping is the lack of guild bonding activities and guild functions within the core game itself that would encourage community loyalty which will hopefully be improved with the upcoming guild missions.

Because being social is the worst thing in the entire world, right?… -Snip- … drop a guild over it in a heartbeat.

Thanks for picking out a tiny bit of my post without reading all of it and missing the point entirely as well as judging someone and their situation without knowing anything about them at all

I have no issue with you wanting to hop guilds or that the guilds you are in allow it. I have an issue with being insulted and generalised which you perfectly demonstrate my point in.

I don’t see how full representation requirement stops you from talking to anyone. You have a friends list and areas where you can congregate to chat to your friends. Like I enjoy going to the bank in LA and chat to random people and guildies there. I don’t need to be in someone elses guild to be friends with people.

I also think it’s quite the opposite if a guild leader wants full time representation it’s because they want their community to be solid and do well as a community. Sure there are those who are as you describe but generalising leaders who mean well isn’t a good thing.

I tried to be loose with representation at the start of the game but it caused a lot of issues and fracturing in the guild. Since making it full time representation this has not been an issue because if people don’t like being with us they can always leave and there’s no resentment there if they do as we’d rather people want to be there.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

(edited by Fay.2735)

Posted by: Chevalier.5093

Chevalier.5093

Funny, the only guild I represent ALL the time is the one guild that doesn’t harass me if I stand down/represent other guilds. Though they asked me once why I stood down, and it was because they wanted me to do fractals with them.

Now I had 5 guilds, left 3 and joined another owned by my RL friends. Putting me in 3 guilds, one for generic fun, another for wvw, and finally, my RL friends’ guild.

Now my RL friends that play this game are few and they’re not online at all the times I’m on, nor am I on when at all the times they are, we have different schedules and now we live in different cities. Why would I represent their guild when I’m doing WvW or something else with my other guild and none of them is online? Or why should my “big” guild harass me if I’m doing stuff with RL friends?

I like all three guilds and I try to contribute as much as I can to them. And because they don’t hassle me for not representing, I find it enjoyable to be with them. Because they enjoy doing things with me (dungeons, wvw, events or w/e). The simple reason is that they don’t demand it.

If I were to lead a guild, even though I decided NOT to, I would allow people to represent whatever guild they like as long as they keep up with important events. Or something among the lines of: “If you’re in WvW please represent this guild”. Maybe a thing like “At least hop on TS/Vent/Mumble so we stay in touch” or “Log on forums on the days you can play”.

But then again, one of the BIG things I like about GW2 is that I do NOT need a guild to advance my character. I know it sounds selfish or disloyal, but it is the truth. But looking on the bright side of it, my guild is no longer another job or homework that I have to do. My guild is just a nice community that I get to know and do fun things regularly with. You know, “fun” is the thing we tend to forget having once “hardcore” starts to play and guild-drama kicks in.

Which reminds me, this system is really similar to the Linkshells in Final Fantasy XI. And as far as I remember, drama did not happen because people had multiple linkshells, it happened because of loot or attendance to the all too important events that felt like jobs. (Specially with how that game had VERY limited loot opportunity as world bosses had kittenedly long respawn timers and could only be claimed “tagged” by one alliance/raid). Of course, there were the times when people did those events (Dynamis/Limbus/Wold Bosses) with other linkshells either taking the claim from their original linkshell or putting their, probably key, character on rediculous CDs, but that IS a loyalty issue and loyalty, no matter what game/system, is a kickable offense. But thanks to GW2’s system, there’s no such situations which you could put your guild in a disadvantage like that.

Honestly, it isn’t much of a problem. Some guilds offer you 100% guild buff up time but expect something from you in return. So it’s all about how a guild wants to operate. As long as they are open about it, I don’t mind. If I apply to a guild, I will tell them I WILL represent other guilds and if they say it’s ok I’ll join. Otherwise I won’t. On the other hand, I expect those guilds to NOT kick me for representing another guild after telling me that they do not mind. If you do not want a guild that demands 100% representation, leave the guilds that ask for so (Or don’t join at all). That’s what I do. Does it make me disloyal? No, I consider myself loyal to whatever guild that I play with and I would dedicate a lot of my time for such guild.

Anyways, I typed too much :p…
Have a good day
Chevalier

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

One thing that would improve the multi-guild system is being able to see the chats of all guilds you’re in.

I don’t like missing out.

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

Chevalier, excellent post, you’re making me reconsider joining more than my current guild of IRL buddies

Still…guild drama does have something going for it: emotion. Once people get riled up, chided, openly appreciated or otherwise engaged, they tend to stick together more. Or at least that’s how I saw it back in raiding WoW days.

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

Fay.2735

Also forgot to say I’d like to make clear I don’t generally harass people when they don’t represent. I usually ask the reasons for it and am quite reasonable about it. I’ve let people transfer to other servers and guilds for a couple of weeks to play with friends etc. while remaining in the guild till they make up their mind. It’s not like I kick people the second they don’t represent.

One thing that would improve the multi-guild system is being able to see the chats of all guilds you’re in.

I don’t like missing out.

I think this would be good as well as give influence to all the guilds you are in. Then it wouldn’t be a problem at all.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

I’m a guild leader and I love the multi-guild system. I actively encourage my members to go play with other guilds, to the extreme that I’ve gone out and found a guild that focuses on sPvP and put links to them in our forums and I add their events to our MotD. I sometimes rep other guilds myself just so members completely understand that it’s okay to go and play in other places sometimes. I have 138 members, all of the upgrades are completed, we run constant, 24 hour MF and Gathering bonuses and we have over 100k influence to play with. I can’t say that it ever hurts us, and I think encouraging multi-guilding actually helps us. The more players I can keep enjoying the game and logging in on a daily basis the better off my guild, my server and the game in it’s entirety is.

OP, if you know you want to rep multiple guilds you really shouldn’t join on that requires 100% rep. Most will tell you up front if they do. Find a guild that is happy to welcome you when you do rep without worrying about where you are the rest of the time. Everyone will be happier.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Rikimeru Tokesbudz.3816

Sorry, but if my GL decides he wants to be a kitten and dictate who I can and can’t talk to in game, he can do without me in his guild. I don’t have time for some whiney basement dweller to flex his kitten and try to show me who’s boss whenever I decide I want to pop over and help my RL friend guild or chat with that strange little RP guild that hovers around some tavern in Divinity’s Reach.

If folks are willing to break up with significant others and divorce spouses for such insane overbearing behavior, you can bet they’ll be more than willing to drop a guild over it in a heartbeat.

this discussion has nothing to do with being allowed to talk to other guild members. only an idiot would not let their guild members talk to nonmembers. idk what guild you are talking about but that kind of behavior is not common for single rep guilds.

Posted by: Gelltor.3015

Gelltor.3015

I do miss the alliance feature tbh…..mainly as my old alliance chat consisted of all the guilds mocking one another xD
But yeah,ask before you join a guild what their rep policy is

Tolmos.8395

this discussion has nothing to do with being allowed to talk to other guild members. only an idiot would not let their guild members talk to nonmembers. idk what guild you are talking about but that kind of behavior is not common for single rep guilds.

Oh, so you’re saying it’s possible to talk in a guild’s /guild chat without representing them? huh…

That I did not know. I appreciate the info.

Posted by: Assyrian.4827

Assyrian.4827

Guild leaders:
kick anyone who deoes not represent you.
there is somthing called Loyalty.

If we have alliances instead of multiguild that way you will have guilds for everything wvw guild pve guild pvp guild, you can join and do anything and still be in your guild..

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

Lol, that’s why I said give the guilds tools to see the last time the person was repping their guild and individual rep earned. Then you can easily decide if the person is worth keeping. Current system is bogus.

Actually, no. That is a specious argument. The same kinda brainless crap you get from people saying you shouldn’t have a problem with the cops randomly stopping you for a warrantless search. Or knocking on your door. What, you have a problem with that? You hiding something? Yeah, the fact that I’m playing a game that lets me be in multiple guilds (2) both made of of diff groups of friends. Just because you found a guild doesn’t make you someone’s petty dictator who has a claim to all their game time. I’m not interested in chatting with everyone in a second guild by whisper cause I ain’t repping them. And that is the main reason to change reps. And spare me the guild loyalty crap. This is WvW, ain’t no guilds raiding each other here, regardless of game title.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

If there’s one problem that I see with a multi-guild system, it’s the lack of chat. I’m part of multiple guilds, but can only see the chat of the one I’m representing.

Sometimes I’m representing my own guild, so I can gather some influence for my own guild storage, but I do want to chat with the people from my “main” guild too.

If you have multi-guild chat (beside the multi-guild membership), it doesn’t matter what guild you’re representing (unless it’s a guild that demands you put so many influence in, every day, but those I’m not interested in anyway), because you can see the chat and if one guild needs an extra person for a group, you can actually see it, even though you’re representing that other guild at the time.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I too think multi-guild is an odd idea. How many times do you see people in the guild not representing. Why even bother staying with the guild?

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Fiennes.9568

Fiennes.9568

The problem is with the people running those guilds in question, not the multi-guild system per-se. I am in a very large WvW Guild which I rep when I am in WvW and other times, and a smaller community-focused guild. Neither require that the other not be present and all involved are nice.

As another posted said, I wouldn’t want to be in a “Rep us or get kicked” guild. That’s a sure fire way to know the kind of people you’re dealing with.

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I too think multi-guild is an odd idea. How many times do you see people in the guild not representing. Why even bother staying with the guild?

What if one of my guilds like to do PvP? And the other doesn’t? Why should I stay with the guild that only wants to play PvE when I want to do PvP? Instead of bugging my guild members, can you please play some PvP with me, I can join another guild who does do PvP. And when I want to do PvE, instead of bugging those guild members to please do some PvE with me, I go to my PvE guild.

It really does make sense to me, but without chat, it can be very annoying, both for the guilds and for its members.

Posted by: ehjhey.1894

ehjhey.1894

Not that I think having this system is a bad Idea (in theory), but my only complaint would be that in a game called “Guild Wars” you would expect to have a guild that you can (or should) be loyal to. Ya it’s not an obligation, but then why join a guild in the first place? Actually I think this also comes down to the issue of guilds not having enough importance in this game in the first place. Again, very Ironic for a game called “Guild Wars.”

Seems more like “Group Wars” to me :/

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Not that I think having this system is a bad Idea (in theory), but my only complaint would be that in a game called “Guild Wars” you would expect to have a guild that you can (or should) be loyal to. Ya it’s not an obligation, but then why join a guild in the first place? Actually I think this also comes down to the issue of guilds not having enough importance in this game in the first place. Again, very Ironic for a game called “Guild Wars.”

Seems more like “Group Wars” to me :/

The name Guild Wars has nothing to do with our guilds. It is the name of a huge war between the various guilds a few years before GW1 started. Those matches in GW1 were friendly matches, not wars between guilds.