In my opinion, the potential for GW2 is withering

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

Guild Missions.

I know you mentioned guild bounties but you left out 80% of the actual guild mission content. You also left out PvP and WvW. I think it’s unfair to judge a game’s potential when you leave out the aspects that you haven’t seen yet and that you don’t enjoy.

I liked the Flame and Frost instances. I don’t really care about the refugees, but then again I never cared about anyone being attacked by Risen/dragon minions. What I do care about are the characters. Seeing Rox get her new pet was a charming touch. I liked seeing the Flame Legion versions of Dredge and Dredge versions of Charr. It was content that was easy to jump into and enjoy for 15-30 min. I was expecting to be blown away, but ANet never promised that. They stated that the story would pick up during this update and it has. They stated that the story would evolve over time, and technically it has. I’m disappointed, but only because I was expecting something out of this world, but I’d be lying if I didn’t enjoy what was delivered.

Posted by: proxy.7963

proxy.7963

Two million sales and the fact they’re officially offering free transfers shows exactly how brilliant I am. Two million is pathetic for an MMO at launch these days, especially since successful new MMOs have a 50% player retention rate, GW2’s retention rate being somewhere in the order of 20-25%.

Besides, if the game was successful they wouldn’t be basing server populations on accounts tied to server. It would be based on active players.

Are those figures for non-subscription-based MMOs? And how are retention rates being considered for non-subscription MMOs that promote the concept of taking time away as much as GW2 does/did, where the concept of ‘retention’ is nebulous at best?

-edit- Also, where are those figures coming from and what MMOs are you using for the 50% / sales figures comparison?

Behold: Opinions!

(edited by proxy.7963)

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

If your just going to use a guide to complete content then your doing away with all the lore. Part of lore is finding it your self if you just wanted it to be handed to you as “dead” lore then i suggested you just keep to reading books. In games and GW2 we have “living” lore the type that is just not simply handed to you you must look for it from the npc mobs and environment.

ANet fault for making the previous parts pure “search needle in haystack” quests that pushed people to use guides immediately.

No, it’s really what the playerbase is nowadays. They are content locusts. They want it like a McDonalds drive through, as quick as possible with everything leading you by the nose.

Posted by: Hawkian.6580

Hawkian.6580

Two million sales and the fact they’re officially offering free transfers shows exactly how brilliant I am. Two million is pathetic for an MMO at launch these days, especially since successful new MMOs have a 50% player retention rate, GW2’s retention rate being somewhere in the order of 20-25%.

Besides, if the game was successful they wouldn’t be basing server populations on accounts tied to server. It would be based on active players.

Are those figures for non-subscription-based MMOs? And how are retention rates being considered for non-subscription MMOs that promote the concept of taking time away as much as GW2 does/did, where the concept of ‘retention’ is nebulous at best?

-edit- Also, where are those figures coming from and what MMOs are you using for the 50% / sales figures comparison?

His numbers are incorrect and/or completely fabricated, and his premise inaccurate anyway… I suggest merely avoiding further discussion with him directly.

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

Flame and Frost feels more old school to me. You actually have to walk around and talk to people. And yeah, I don’t think it’s brilliant content. It’s filler content while the bigger stuff gets worked on.

But it’s fine. The two new instances are fun, you can run them once a day, get some extra karma, and just have fun with it.

Not sure I see the problem here, unless people were expecting totally awesome events for free on a monthly basis.

I remember Rift. Every month they’d come out with a new event that had new currency, that you could cash in for nonsense. Every month. One event would hang around until the next event came out. Some of it was okay. Most of it was annoying as hell. It was just another form of daily. By the end of the month you couldn’t wait for it to go away…and then they’d replace it with the next one.

Eventually Rift has some time to add new content and they did. The same will happen with Guild Wars 2. Until then, what we get is filler content.

To expect more from a monthly upgrade is probably unreasonable.

Considering that ANet has said that they are forgoing any current plans for an expansion in favor of the living story idea, I think it makes sense for them to put the same effort into the living story as they would an expansion. If they think it is a better investment to do that for free rather than working on a paid expansion, that is their problem.

Considering this game’s a complete disaster in terms of sales and player retention the expansion more than likely was canceled due to lack of funds.

Thanks for posting your sources and information to back up your claims. You definitely showed us just how brilliant you are.

3 million have been sold

And can we have a source on all of your numbers? Or is the source in your imagination?

Posted by: Vasham.2408

Vasham.2408

If your just going to use a guide to complete content then your doing away with all the lore. Part of lore is finding it your self if you just wanted it to be handed to you as “dead” lore then i suggested you just keep to reading books. In games and GW2 we have “living” lore the type that is just not simply handed to you you must look for it from the npc mobs and environment.

ANet fault for making the previous parts pure “search needle in haystack” quests that pushed people to use guides immediately.

No, it’s really what the playerbase is nowadays. They are content locusts. They want it like a McDonalds drive through, as quick as possible with everything leading you by the nose.

“Content locust” is a buzzword people use to justify MMOs which either fail to deliver content or deliver lot’s of poor content (GW2 being the latter). Blaming the players because Arenanet can’t deliver is the height of idiocy.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

It IS based on active players.

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

It is actually based on where people decide to have their accounts. It is not based on how many players are playing.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Server-Populations/first#post703192

Vasham.2408

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Server-Populations/first

No. It’s not.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

It is a sad state of the gaming community. Not all gamers are like this but there are a lot of them who want to play a 3hr game with 2 1/2hr of CS I am not sure if there is a way to show ppl this is no longer a game but a move that interactive.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: cobrahorse.4329

cobrahorse.4329

Blizzard lisens to the playerbase at some point yeah, they are also smart that they let people deveolp addons that they implement later as official addons. But the main reasons that wow is so big is that it’s an endless grind sucking you in like a drug. And thats the reason i play gw2. I dont want an addcting game that you NEED to play 10 hours a day. Anyway i agree with the op that some things really need to get redesigned. And A-net should lisen to the players here at the forums cause there is a ton of forum posts every day that have really smart opinions.

Ill give them a cupple of more months

maddoctor.2738

No. It’s not.

Yes it is. Re-read the comment by the CC. She is saying that the “FULL” status does not take into account where you created your account (on which server you first made your character) but where you are now. Nothing about your claims.

Also, tell me if how you interpret it is true, how come servers (ALL OF THEM) have less population on less busy hours but suddenly spike to full at PRIME TIME (MOST OF THEM). If it was based on accounts made on a server that wouldn’t be possible.

Basic logic is needed here.

Vasham.2408

Blizzard lisens to the playerbase at some point yeah, they are also smart that they let people deveolp addons that they implement later as official addons. But the main reasons that wow is so big is that it’s an endless grind sucking you in like a drug. And thats the reason i play gw2.

What is irony?

No. It’s not.

Yes it is. Re-read the comment by the CC. She is saying that the “FULL” status does not take into account where you created your account (on which server you first made your character) but where you are now. Nothing about your claims.

Also, tell me if how you interpret it is true, how come servers (ALL OF THEM) have less population on less busy hours but suddenly spike to full at PRIME TIME (MOST OF THEM). If it was based on accounts made on a server that wouldn’t be possible.

Basic logic is needed here.

Arenanet controls all the information. They control what you perceive about the population. They admitted that server pops are based on accounts tied to server (no matter how much you deny it). They control the caps on the servers. Just because you drink the koolaid doesn’t mean the game is successful or, more accurately, not dyeing.

(edited by Vasham.2408)

Posted by: Scar.1793

Scar.1793

Are you kidding ? There’s mostly updates for PvE, and that boring bus vs bus WvW.

In sPvP and tPvP we are still waiting.

maddoctor.2738

Arenanet controls all the information. They control what you perceive about the population. They admitted that server pops are based on accounts tied to server (no matter how much you deny it). They control the caps on the servers. Just because you drink the koolaid doesn’t mean the game is successful or, more accurately, not dyeing.

No they didn’t admit it. Just because you lack basic logic and reading comprehension doesn’t make what you say accurate, it’s the complete opposite. You have no proof of any of your claims, I already mentioned WHY you are false, I don’t need to repeat myself, go find some logic before posting again.

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

No they didn’t admit it. Just because you lack basic logic and reading comprehension doesn’t make what you say accurate, it’s the complete opposite. You have no proof of any of your claims, I already mentioned WHY you are false, I don’t need to repeat myself, go find some logic before posting again.

Stop feeding the troll.

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Mitch wrote:

“ANET could do worse than examine the masters of MMO’s..yes Blizzard and really investigate why an 8 year old game still trounces every new mmo release to the market…The simple answer is it listens. And Content..lots of it. They have a brand new 12 boss raid…what do we have…”

My main man Mitch, may I ask you a honest question based on what I pulled out of your Op Ed?

Ok, here it is. What does Blizzard’s two ton heavy thing have for which many of the current MMO and “similar” type of games don’t? Answer….8+ years of development and 4 expansion packs. I won’t even go into the millions of monthly income due to subscription fees and the development staff it feeds. I think if you read this you pretty much will understand why they have a new 12 boss raid.

But if truth be told there is actually much more going on behind the answer and your question if we are to both be honest. Let us face it, not everything is rosey in the land of orcs and blood elves. If you keep up on it at all or just read any of the threads out in the .net you would see that it has a community of angry wasps. PvP is unbalanced at the moment and they are having a heck of a time trying to balance PvE vs. PvP content and it isn’t too exciting right now. Let us talk about stat creep shall we? Something they have been aware of for a while now but here we are still trucking along with 3,000 dps weapons and 160,000 health pools. Fun huh? Why? Because they listen to the people rather than the code of the game to fix it.

Why does it have the numbers behind it still? Probably because it is easy to go back to something you already have maxed at. It is familar. It is a known item. It is sort of like riding a bike I guess. Once learned, easy to get back to or you don’t forget. But again, look around and you will see people complaining about every class having a healing ability. Healers are unkillable. 60,000+ forms of CC (ok, I told a lie there, not really 60,000 forms but you get the idea… IT IS BIG).

GW2 has a different design principle let alone a different way to further development. They get money from the retail sale then it is up to us to feed them more in the form of the trading company. Simple really. How long it will work has yet to be seen but there are a couple games making it with this sort of mind set. Need I say LoL? Seems to be doing rather well don’t you think?

Lastly, let me say this. You ask them to look at the ‘masters’ of the MMO market place yet who is to say they are? How do you measure success after all? Number of subscribers? Number of boxes sold? Population or number of servers? A couple other developers and publishers did exactly what you suggested and looked at their model and guess what happened? They pretty much all folded up and are free to play now. This, in fact, goes back years to something that went by the name of Vanguard. People have tried to copy or take bits and pieces of Blizzards work and all failed in the end.

Let Arena Net do their own thing. At the end of the day if you enjoy what they provide then by all means support them. I for one believe they are doing a pretty incredible job outside the ascended gear addition (or reintroduction based on their original design goal). For me, it honestly allows me to do other things and play as time allows.

In the end, I don’t feel like I’m left behind or must login daily to do something. It is a place I use to escape reality for a bit is all.

Sorry for the rant. I do hope you have a great day and maybe see you in the world we play in.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’ve been reading this thread and wondering why I find the proliferation of these types of threads annoying. It isn’t that I disagree with every criticism of the game. While I think some of them are off-base, I think some of them aren’t. However, the threads for the most part degenerate into, “GW2 is awesome” and “No it isn’t” fests.

Then it hit me. This thread is not new content. I’ve read nothing in this thread that I have not seen in many other threads. There are no new, insightful suggestions on how to better the game. No, “Give us more engaging PvE content,” and “Balance classes,” are not insightful suggestions. At best, they’re vaguely expressed desires.

So, in an attempt to better the forums, the thread and the game, what would interesting PvE content be? I think instanced missions like the GW1 Challenge missions would be interesting. I think providing an easier mode and a harder mode to dungeons would be a good thing, since it would respond to both the “They’re too easy” and the “They’re too hard” crowds. I think that moving DE’s to where they had more of an impact in zones would be a good idea. For instance, if the centaurs win in Harathi Hinterlands, their advance might spill over into Gendarren Fields, and taking back Harathi might require more than just winning DE’s in a few camps.

Your turn. Or, carry on arguing, w/e.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Crapgame.6519

Well Indigo, they have sort of already done those things. They are pretty much adding content monthly. The OP maybe forgot they added Fractles. They added a one time mother of all events. They saw the issues it raised, addressed them, and sent people items who didn’t complete it based on the client failures.

The have added WvW changes. Ascended gear. New jump puzzles. And a living story. This is all in what, less than 6 months? Oh, and free.

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

A whole lot of people on this forum would rather have everyone silently leave instead of giving negative feedback, that if addressed, might help fix perceived problems.

IndigoSundown.5419

Well Indigo, they have sort of already done those things. They are pretty much adding content monthly. The OP maybe forgot they added Fractles. They added a one time mother of all events. They saw the issues it raised, addressed them, and sent people items who didn’t complete it based on the client failures.

The have added WvW changes. Ascended gear. New jump puzzles. And a living story. This is all in what, less than 6 months? Oh, and free.

Exactly. Fact is, nothing ANet does is going to please everyone. I just think these threads would be more constructive if posters said what they would like to see in less general terms. It’s hard to produce something if all people say is, “We want new content but the stuff you did program is not good.”

IndigoSundown.5419

A whole lot of people on this forum would rather have everyone silently leave instead of giving negative feedback, that if addressed, might help fix perceived problems.

Don’t include me in that group. I don’t want anyone to leave, or shut up. However, while negative feedback is still feedback, negative constructive feedback is way easier to address. It’s a lot harder to provide what people are looking for if all they provide is generalities, yet that’s mostly what we see.

I’ll say one thing, though. Posters might provide more constructive feedback in these complaint threads if they didn’t think that doing so would get the thread moved to the oblivion sub-forum (i.e., Suggestions), whereas the generalized. “I like …” and “I don’t like …” gets left in the more-widely-viewed General Tab.

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

I disagree with your points made. How many content upgrades did Prophecies have when it was six months old? What did they get? Sorrow’s Furnace? FoTM absolutely was better than that.

Content takes time to develop. You act like the stuff they’re providing is worthless, but it’s not. It’s also not awesome beyond all reckoning.

You have a game that launched early by anyone’s standards. It’s taken them six months to get the game to launch quality. If during that time they had one decent upgrade, that’s ahead of the game.

I think people are just impatient. If you played Prophecies at launch, six months later it was like, umm, we need more stuff. Same thing people are saying here.

If you want more stuff to do, be patient, it’s coming. But comparing Guild Wars 2 to Guild Wars 1, when Guild Wars 2 had three full games and an expansion out, just isn’t right.

Sure we all want more content. The question is how reasonable is it to expect it so soon.

You should look at other MMOs six months out and compare, before you judge.

Six months in? Prophecies had the Underworld, Fissure of Woe, Sorrow’s Furnace… but really, six months in Anet was gearing up for Factions and you can hardly say any of GW2’s update have been on that scale.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I’ve been reading this thread and wondering why I find the proliferation of these types of threads annoying. It isn’t that I disagree with every criticism of the game. While I think some of them are off-base, I think some of them aren’t. However, the threads for the most part degenerate into, “GW2 is awesome” and “No it isn’t” fests.

Then it hit me. This thread is not new content. I’ve read nothing in this thread that I have not seen in many other threads. There are no new, insightful suggestions on how to better the game. No, “Give us more engaging PvE content,” and “Balance classes,” are not insightful suggestions. At best, they’re vaguely expressed desires.

So, in an attempt to better the forums, the thread and the game, what would interesting PvE content be? I think instanced missions like the GW1 Challenge missions would be interesting. I think providing an easier mode and a harder mode to dungeons would be a good thing, since it would respond to both the “They’re too easy” and the “They’re too hard” crowds. I think that moving DE’s to where they had more of an impact in zones would be a good idea. For instance, if the centaurs win in Harathi Hinterlands, their advance might spill over into Gendarren Fields, and taking back Harathi might require more than just winning DE’s in a few camps.

Your turn. Or, carry on arguing, w/e.

I’m easy to please. Give me more zones to explore, more hearts to fill, more quests to do (that are maybe just a little more more involved than fixing signs or hunting lost items – there was this great game that had lots of cool quests, I think it was called Guild Wars, maybe take a look at it for inspiration). Give me dungeons I can do solo or with one or two or eight or more friends and a Master Dungeon Guide to fill. Give me more weapons, give me more skills for each weapon. Just give me more skills. Give me non-epic free range bosses I can hunt down and fight, with unique items I can collect.

Heck, just give me what I loved about Guild Wars. Plus the jumping…

What I don’t want is more ascended gear grind, more currencies, more dead on arrival ‘living’ stories, or more gated ‘content’. Maybe just stop giving me that and the rest will work itself out.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Orpheus.7284

Orpheus.7284

Only things I’m concerned about is the balance team and the direction of the in-game economy.

The balance team rarely discusses their reasoning behind their buffs and nerfs and that lack of communication is creating a lack of faith.
Economy…not enough supply, too much gold.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I wonder how many times these types of posts are made per day.

It’s always better to engage with the content of a post than to resort to the, in effect, ad hominem. If you don’t have anything to add, best to leave it unsaid.

Posted by: Sinifair.1026

Sinifair.1026

I agree that Flame and Frost were uninteresting. It was for me up until the Razing.
- I played GW1 too for 4 or 5 years and I take the time to log in still.

I think that ANet is trying to improve on their new gameplay and add more to get people to play together i.e. Guild Missions and all that.
- They have stated that they know that their gameplay is not perfect and they are improving on it. Perhaps there is more to be tweaked than we know.

Still, I think that once they have their gameplay where they (and the community) want it they will be adding more new content.
- The Living Story is gameplay and story not yet implemented, and we cannot really complain about it, since much of what is to be seen has yet to be implemented. What we can do is play the current events and give feedback on what we enjoyed and what we didn’t enjoy as much. As a fan of the Guild Wars franchise I would (although it might seem like commercial cliché) advise the community to keep giving feedback and give them a chance to get the game really going. Colin Johanson said in an interview that they had visions on where they wanted to head the game when it came to the Living Story, and that as they learned how best to implement new story and gameplay, it would be easier to make.

My current opinion is that the game is far from perfect, but the Razing gave me some hope, because I personally enjoyed it, even though it was instanced based (which I don’t think is all that bad since the alternative would be several overflows with tons of people in an area. It would be very crowded. I like that I can gather some friends to play this content).
- I believe that the game has potential to become bigger and better with time and that the Living Story shows more promise through the Razing and, of course, the One Time Event with the Karkas (which weren’t perfect, I know, but they stated that they realized that and used the feedback to improve future One Time Events).

Hope that OP keeps his interest in GW2, or (if you choose to leave) will come back to check when the game might have improved to the degree that you find it enjoyable again.

Crapgame.6519

Only things I’m concerned about is the balance team and the direction of the in-game economy.

The balance team rarely discusses their reasoning behind their buffs and nerfs and that lack of communication is creating a lack of faith.
Economy…not enough supply, too much gold.

Economy…some of us don’t have enough gold.

Personally, I’d like to see more textures in the game outside legendaries. I think dyes are a wonderful thing but honestly this is nothing too new. It dates back to DaOC aka 2001. But, I do like playing dress up Barbie and would like some new and exciting textures for weapons and armor that contain effects.

No, I don’t want anything handed down or for free. Just saying this is a “area” which can use a wee bit of attention.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

+1 I agree with the OP here. And, especially with the core game issues which here are profession balance and, I believe, their conception of combat. And, I really wish they’d stop flailing about in balancing Orr as well. They did a great job with the 1/28 patch. Sadly 2/26 and the most recent patch have made it more annoying than ever. I see fewer champs but the Vets have continuous highly damaging ranged attacks and the continuous major CC has made a comeback. Dodging doesn’t work when attacks are continuous—the only choice is to leave the fight if you want to stay alive. It’s not that it’s too hard; it’s simply too cheap. It doesn’t make for satisfying combat.

It would be great if they simply put the ‘content’ stuff on hold and worked on the core game. Rethink combat, in its most general conception. Rethink the concept of ‘challenge’ in the MMO. What is true and what is artificial (cheap) challenge. Rethink the professions based upon six months of experience with success and failure. Rethink condition damage and then maintain it by player rather than manage stacks on a mob. Refactor code to make your frameworks less fragile. DE’s should work, not occasionally, but most of the time. Why don’t they?

We really don’t need monthly updates. Stop the madness. Extend the development cycle so that you can deliver actual, tested content and give yourselves breathing room to actually spend time thinking about the game.

I suppose one could go on.

Posted by: Retrospek.4583

Retrospek.4583

ANET could do worse than examine the masters of MMO’s..yes Blizzard and really investigate why an 8 year old game still trounces every new mmo release to the market…The simple answer is it listens. And Content..lots of it. They have a brand new 12 boss raid…what do we have?? Banging some fences in the snow and npcs we could care less for…

Actually not true. Blizzard analyzed the most popular and most played mmo of all time which is farm ville for their current game model. This goes a lot deeper then purely adding an actual farmville to their game by the way as this game plan began implementation in mid Wotlk in making content appeal and tap into the huge player base farmville has and gain it on a subscription and microtransaction level.

Gw2 by that logic should analyze Farmville, but I love gw2 and have never had interest in farmville

Art work in this game is amazing I agree 100%

Not sure where you came up with your “facts”, but they couldn’t be further from the truth. Blizzard didn’t model their MMO after Farmville, and in no way could have. WoW came out in 2004 (and was in development MANY years prior to this), and Farmville wasn’t release until 2009 (and I can guarantee took a LOT less development time).

That being said though, Blizzard listens to it’s players? LOL! Guess that was the other MMO from them that I didn’t play…

As for content, and lots of it, Asheron’s Call by far exceeded any other MMO I have ever seen when it came to content updates, and sadly, it never had (nor will never have) the numbers that WoW had. WoW came into the market at the right time, and was a pretty decent MMO for the time it was released. It doesn’t mean it’s the best MMO, it’s just hard to pry that many people away from the game, once they’ve invested so much time into it.

Jski.6180

+1 I agree with the OP here. And, especially with the core game issues which here are profession balance and, I believe, their conception of combat. And, I really wish they’d stop flailing about in balancing Orr as well. They did a great job with the 1/28 patch. Sadly 2/26 and the most recent patch have made it more annoying than ever. I see fewer champs but the Vets have continuous highly damaging ranged attacks and the continuous major CC has made a comeback. Dodging doesn’t work when attacks are continuous—the only choice is to leave the fight if you want to stay alive. It’s not that it’s too hard; it’s simply too cheap. It doesn’t make for satisfying combat.

It would be great if they simply put the ‘content’ stuff on hold and worked on the core game. Rethink combat, in its most general conception. Rethink the concept of ‘challenge’ in the MMO. What is true and what is artificial (cheap) challenge. Rethink the professions based upon six months of experience with success and failure. Rethink condition damage and then maintain it by player rather than manage stacks on a mob. Refactor code to make your frameworks less fragile. DE’s should work, not occasionally, but most of the time. Why don’t they?

We really don’t need monthly updates. Stop the madness. Extend the development cycle so that you can deliver actual, tested content and give yourselves breathing room to actually spend time thinking about the game.

I suppose one could go on.

It sounds like they hit a class that you play so your mad about it. They had to do something about quickness it was game braking as it was. You could down some one and execute them before they could get one downed skill off THAT should not be allowed into an action mmorpg game. There must always be time for a reaction. As for pve Quickness was making the pve part of the game into all in dmg the amount of dps from one boon was overshadowing all others to the point of not needed any other boon but the one. Is it fun to have a pt of 4 wars and 1 mez over and over?

Ppl wanted harder fights and fight the last longed so Anet gave them what they wanted. Read these forums about 3 weeks ago ppl where endlessly going on about how they wish events where harder to do orr is a major places where these events take places. So they made them for 50 ppl not 20.

This is an action game and it should stay that way. Most games are making the move to action base game play with blocks and rolls. What you may call cheep has become the stander for new mmorpg.

We do need monthly updates it keeps ppl playing the game look at the post of ppl you will see that they have not posted for 20 day or higher.

Posted by: Valenthor.4052

Valenthor.4052

I love the game. I love the art, I love the mechanics and I love the fact that they tried to do something different regarding trinity. But as a loyal GW2 gamer and someone who played GW1 for 6 years, I can’t help but feel the last few patches have been utterly underwhelming.

They clearly have some very talented people at ANET. Great artists especially, but the potential and excitement of where the game could go has been worryingly deteriorating at a rapid pace. For me, the last REAL update content wise was fractals. An enjoyable update to the game that kinda gave it a mini raid feel without all the hassle that comes with a classic mmo raid.

Yet since then, what really has been added to the game in any meaningful way? Yes there have been updates to W v w and PvP, but as I rarely participate in those, I feel that the core playerbase of the PVE world has largely been neglected. The rot set in with the Karka event..Ill conceived, bugged and although it introduced a new area, it felt Spartan and unfinished with absolutely NO reason to go there other than a bit of gathering.

The guild bounties etc have also been poorly implemented imo too. What you basically have is guilds sending out members to find said mobs and then after a chore of a search we all gank them and that’s it..Sorry, this is dull as and not immersive in anyway. It’s also no where near as exciting in practise as we were led to believe.

And then we have Flame and Frost. Possibly THE single most underwhelming and pointless update yet. First off..no one cares. Seriously..no one gives a kitten at all. We are not emotionally involved AT AL! I have yet to speak so a single player in game who found the event..if you can call it that..anything other than a chore. It didn’t help by starting off with a main feature on the website, yet all you did was build a few sign posts for a few months. Now after all this build up, we find out the Dredge are involved. Do Anet realise that after the risen, most people hate fighting the dredge?

But mostly, the profession balance. Ordinarily, I really don’t complain about profession tweaking and one class over the other but in GW2’s case, its really really hard to ignore the fact that Rangers are getting screwed over and warriors are top dog. But no one knows why? They really can’t understand it..and who can blame them?

Like I say, its cos I love the game so much and its cos I CARE that im making this post, but I can’t help feeling really disappointed at the direction of the game. I already ditched WOW and SWTOR for this game, and tbh now I’m simply thinking MMO’s are not for me. ANET could do worse than examine the masters of MMO’s..yes Blizzard and really investigate why an 8 year old game still trounces every new mmo release to the market…The simple answer is it listens. And Content..lots of it. They have a brand new 12 boss raid…what do we have?? Banging some fences in the snow and npcs we could care less for…

Really Anet? I respect your artistry, but I really sometimes wonder if you gusy actually paly your own game

Guild missions are just as big as fractals for PvE (I hear there is also PvP). I think they are a lot of fun. The problem is they decided to put a huge gating mechanic behind the missions, so all we are doing is farming bounties for a long time. Wait to try them out or don’t and stop playing. GW2 still has a lot of potential, despite your opinion. People need to realize that not every ounce of content is created solely for them, there are MILLIONS of players that all have different play-styles and tastes. This is demonstrated quite easily in this post, which kind of spells out a doomsday situation for GW2 and conveniently ignores all aspects of the game that don’t apply to their personal tastes.

Also your portrayal of Blizzard isn’t completely accurate, as they used to be extremely slow at releasing new content. In addition, they are not the consumer herald you claim them to be. They have always done what they think is best, no matter what the community thinks. Listening to your customers on everything would be bad business anyway, so I don’t blame them (face it, customers rarely see the big picture). It is also funny to me that you list their new raid, but leave out the fact that they have not added in new 5 man dungeons yet. I guess you only seem to care about content that suits you.

Posted by: woeye.2753

woeye.2753

Let me try:
GW2 is undoubtably the best MMO ever, Anet is so generous in giving out free content, the updates are nice.

But I feel it is more important to rebut whiners and critics on the forums than it is to have fun playing GW2 itself.

If you play the right class, sure. Otherwise no. The PvE balance in this game is terrible imho.

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

Oki the lore in flame and frost and in this game is good but its presented so kittenING STUPID i mean fighting zaitan was one of the WORST if not the worst story dirven thing not just in mmo but in any game i have EVER EVER seen so stupid and yes i agree rangers need buff in pve and wariors need buff in pvp cuz they are ussles in pvp

Posted by: Thunderbrew.7034

Thunderbrew.7034

Agree with OP FotM was by far best update. Also Vayne if you enjoy the game so much where do you get so mzch time to respond multipletimes in every even slithly negative thread? I think OP have some vaild points for players like me which plays mostly PvE there isnt really much content if you dont enjoy things like Flame and Forst or Guild Missions which are just boring……Iam sorry but i hate that anet is focusing on those 2 things which most players hates. WvW is just a mess iam no programator but it feels like GW2 engine just cant handle huge battles at solid fps without ridiculous CPU demands so maybe next year its gonna be playable because this needs some serious work and time…..

Well, if its the same Vayne from guildwar2forum.com he spends 99% of his time
defending the game and coming up with counter arguments supporting that.
Not a flame at all, just saying thats how he rolls.

Posted by: Miss Pink Floyd.9730

Miss Pink Floyd.9730

The more people complains the better, hopefully the company listens and start doing something worthwhile. This 4 series patches suck, the storyline blows, wvw progression is bleh at best and pve is still lack lusting.

I don’t think they will ever care enough to listen, we have repeatedly told them what we wanted, yet we get slapped with one nerf right after the other.

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

I’d be happier if dungeons didn’t have diminishing returns & TP prices weren’t so high. It’s like only the people who use gems cards are the ones who prosper the most. I still love gw2 though.

Posted by: Thunderbrew.7034

Thunderbrew.7034

I’d be happier if dungeons didn’t have diminishing returns & TP prices weren’t so high. It’s like only the people who use gems cards are the ones who prosper the most. I still love gw2 though.

You forgot the main one: Bot programs that work the TP even when user isnt
on. This how people are getting literally 10k+ gold in the game, and apparently
Arenanet hasnt found a way to stop it.

Posted by: Thorn.7963

Thorn.7963

I’d hate to be an MMO developer, because no matter how much content you make it is never enough.

Posted by: SirusDibley.3716

SirusDibley.3716

After the reaction fractals had the answer is simple. Instead of these tame updates and mini stories give us a new dungeon every 4 months with new weapons. It will keep everyone playing.

Simples.

Posted by: Thorn.7963

Thorn.7963

I doubt making new dungeons AND new weapons is as easy as you make it sound.

Posted by: Rochambeau.4502

Rochambeau.4502

“Dress Up barbie” progression for a PvE MMO can’t carry a playerbase.

It’s fine for PvP/WvW where titles, rankings and other kitten related “rewards” are a draw but for the typical PvE player this game has about 3-4 months of playability in it’s current state and then you’re done.

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

“Dress Up barbie” progression for a PvE MMO can’t carry a playerbase.

It’s fine for PvP/WvW where titles, rankings and other kitten related “rewards” are a draw but for the typical PvE player this game has about 3-4 months of playability in it’s current state and then you’re done.

Except that there was this game called Guild Wars once, and it is one of the top online PC games ever sold and saw an active playerbase for upwards of 7 years, which was about 4 years after they stopped making expansions for the game.

It was quite successful and was based around the entire idea of no vertical progession.

You logic fails.

Posted by: Draehl.2681

Draehl.2681

To me its only two concerns.

1) Number of viable builds and general combat balance. There’s still too many underwhelming skills/traits. I can appreciate their hesitance in doing to many changes at once, but early in a game’s life I expect there to be rapid changes. Do most of it now so 2 years down the line you aren’t still making game sweeping changes.

2) The general failure of the dynamic event system. Bosses are largely too easy and don’t properly scale with # of players. The few zones that do pull off events well suffer from requiring 15+ players to accomplish anything. I still don’t feel part of a living world, and I’m not talking the silly holiday/story events. Nitty gritty basic combat and events still need a lot of work.

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

I wonder how many times these types of posts are made per day.

Does that make them any less valid? Or do you comment with genuine curiosity and agreement with the points made?

Yes, it does make them less valid. Every game that exists and has players get similar posts. The more players, the more complaints.

Maybe they are correct in those instances too.

I know I’d put more faith in the word of a screaming horde of disgruntled players than, say, Greg “Ghostcrawler” Street.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: Zolpidem.2851

Zolpidem.2851

QFT OP……..

:)

Posted by: Agent Ice.6578

Agent Ice.6578

So how about the TOS agreement that came bundled with the patch? Did anyone actually READ it?

Posted by: Martin The Brave.8731

Martin The Brave.8731

I do agree that this game has of late been seeing some less than enthusiastic content; I feel as if the team need’s to be more oriented on creating content that will build off into an expansion rather than tweaking just the basic’s. I do think F&F is a step in the right direction; Although the wait period between actual content was dismal. For me the game need’s to be focused around fun group content with an emphasis on lore and very interesting rewards (Instead of chain-skin’s). More dungeon content also need’s to be implemented, Honestly I feel that many people only do dungeon’s so that they can farm them and not for fun.

I still have full confidence in Arenanet even if my idea of a perfect Guildwars 2 is never fulfilled.

Jski.6180

I do agree that this game has of late been seeing some less than enthusiastic content; I feel as if the team need’s to be more oriented on creating content that will build off into an expansion rather than tweaking just the basic’s. I do think F&F is a step in the right direction; Although the wait period between actual content was dismal. For me the game need’s to be focused around fun group content with an emphasis on lore and very interesting rewards (Instead of chain-skin’s). More dungeon content also need’s to be implemented, Honestly I feel that many people only do dungeon’s so that they can farm them and not for fun.

I still have full confidence in Arenanet even if my idea of a perfect Guildwars 2 is never fulfilled.

And how dose one do that? How long did it take to get the person story as it is now 3 years? This game has CS it had voice acting artful zones and environments its more then just a simple add in a new npc that has a box to read (most will just skip) and go to a “new” zone that was just model off an old one that has no art feeling to it over all making it a less of a zone compared to others.

Posted by: thisolderhead.5127

thisolderhead.5127

Yeah, I really don’t understand the warrior buff and rangers and engineer nerfs. Those are the two most classes people dislike partying with most since they think they don’t really bring “anything to the party”. Nerfing them will just make people go… “do you have another class?”

Potential, look around and find the VERY good rangers and engi videos out there.

They are challenging professions that can bring EVERYTHING to the table, but they are complex to play well (and bugs make them even more challenging again).

Warriors are heavy armour and faceroll tactics, but f’kall depth and a myriad of counters to their limited bag of tricks – thieves and warriors are the kids brand of play. I’d say go chat with the really serious theory crafters, but even the best of them are keeping quiet about pretty much everything that isn’t seriously broken in the profs.

A well played engi will completely stomp multiple opponents played at an average level IF they are a depth orientated player and the bugs are forgiving.

Feeling bad due to my response does not mean it was a personal attack.
It may just be that your original statement was wrong.
Please try again.