Inactive players trolls our forum.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Emtiarbi.3281

Emtiarbi.3281

Personally, i have like 3 months on hiatus (log 3 hours to do the living and then log out until the next LS). But i generally surf in the forum and wait patiently for the game to improve.

Anredhal Amethyst – Lain Amethyst – Orss Jerre

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I can think of one person in particular (who I won’t name obviously) who claims to no longer play than game and hasn’t played in a long, long time. All this person does is make snide, unproductive one line remarks, or agrees with someone who has done the same. They make judgment on content they’ve never experienced.

This behavior is pretty obviously there just to get a rise out of people (and this person admitted to me that’s exactly what they enjoy).

All you can really do is ignore them and move on. I should certainly ignore more of them than I do.

Problem is really when they post their usual garbage in thread from new players.

ANet stopped thinks like the Champtrain in Queensdale because they didn’t
wanted to have a toxic environment for new players in the starter zones, but
what i see here often is very much the same … new player says hallo and maybe
we see 1-2 welcome posts and some nice tips .. and then there is already the
first one that tells them how bad the game is and that they will see it real fast.

Sorry for the derail but the whe new player toxic environment thing has me puzzled of late. On the one hand they nerfed the Queensdale train and then they use daily events to encourage level 80 swarms in low level events.

As much as I like the daily changes over all I just do not get that one.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

The last time a similar thread popped up, I suggested an automatic forum tag to appear below the poster’s name, so show how long it’s been since they were in game. In something like 3 month intervals.

eg.

Olvendred.3027
(Last online more than 6 months ago)

Doesn’t stop people posting, but lets people make up their mind on whether or not a poster has experienced what they’re talking about, and so on. And how much weight you want to give to their opinion.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I can think of one person in particular (who I won’t name obviously) who claims to no longer play than game and hasn’t played in a long, long time. All this person does is make snide, unproductive one line remarks, or agrees with someone who has done the same. They make judgment on content they’ve never experienced.

This behavior is pretty obviously there just to get a rise out of people (and this person admitted to me that’s exactly what they enjoy).

All you can really do is ignore them and move on. I should certainly ignore more of them than I do.

Problem is really when they post their usual garbage in thread from new players.

ANet stopped thinks like the Champtrain in Queensdale because they didn’t
wanted to have a toxic environment for new players in the starter zones, but
what i see here often is very much the same … new player says hallo and maybe
we see 1-2 welcome posts and some nice tips .. and then there is already the
first one that tells them how bad the game is and that they will see it real fast.

Sorry for the derail but the whe new player toxic environment thing has me puzzled of late. On the one hand they nerfed the Queensdale train and then they use daily events to encourage level 80 swarms in low level events.

As much as I like the daily changes over all I just do not get that one.

Yeah .. i found it alsow funny when people now wanted higher scaling for the
events in the starter zones. If that ever happens we suddenly have back the
champtrains in Queensdale when it is in the daily list ^^

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Most of the time, I dare say, it’s because a player loved the game for the first year after launch, but after seeing lackluster content updates across all non-LS-related game modes, lost interest in playing the same content ad nauseum. But since they had so much fun that first year and genuinely love the game, they (perhaps foolishly?) hang around in hopes that something worth their while will be added.

That’s my personal experience, anyway. And yes, there are also trolls. There will always be trolls. Just gotta live with that.

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

The forums are the end game contents in GW2. So deal with it.

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

The last time a similar thread popped up, I suggested an automatic forum tag to appear below the poster’s name, so show how long it’s been since they were in game. In something like 3 month intervals.

eg.

Olvendred.3027

Doesn’t stop people posting, but lets people make up their mind on whether or not a poster has experienced what they’re talking about, and so on. And how much weight you want to give to their opinion.

i like that idea.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

eg.

Olvendred.3027

That is a realy neat suggestion in my opinion. Realy like this.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Emtiarbi.3281

Emtiarbi.3281

Most of the time, I dare say, it’s because a player loved the game for the first year after launch, but after seeing lackluster content updates across all non-LS-related game modes, lost interest in playing the same content ad nauseum. But since they had so much fun that first year and genuinely love the game, they (perhaps foolishly?) hang around in hopes that something worth their while will be added.

Pretty much this, i played this game since Beta and here i am foolishly waiting for more

Anredhal Amethyst – Lain Amethyst – Orss Jerre

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

A similar thread that ran its course can be found here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Restrict-forum-access-to-active-accounts/first

I’ve quoted the Red Posts below if you’d just like to read them. They’ve made it clear that they will not restrict forum access to inactive players. So any further discussion there will not change that, I don’t think.

As for “forum trolls” — they exist among the active and inactive crowds. Many are actually trolling and others are just very opinionated. Ignore them, report when necessary, and just move on.

Mark Katzbach:

This is something that we had considered in the past, but opted against because it unfairly works against lapsed players who want to ask what’s changed since they last played and players like Pixelpumpkin who may, for personal reasons, be unable to log into the game, but still want to interact with the forums and stay up to date on the game.

It’s also worth pointing out that some people use claims of quitting the game as an attention-getting tactic, when in fact they are still quite active. Putting in this type of restriction would just push those people to claim they only log in to keep their forum privileges active.

Mark Katzbach:

We would rather be accommodating towards lapsed players than punish those who have quit the game and decide to post maliciously (not saying that everybody who quits the game does so). No technology can determine one from the other, and it’s not fair to punish the good with the bad.

The reason it was ever under consideration was because subscription-based MMOs typically revoke forum access if you do not have a current (paid) subscription. We investigated how we could achieve the same type of access restriction and, as I said above, determined that it was unfair to lapsed players who may return to the forums for information or answers regarding the current state of the game.

Mark Katzbach:

I’m not trying to discredit anybody here. However, as some have mentioned, they have seen players making posts about having quit the game, yet see those same players on their friends list logging in daily. If you’re posting about how long ago you quit the game, yet log in daily, that’s attention-seeking.

The point I’m getting at here is that while there are people who behave in that manner, there are at least as many, if not more, players who legitimately come and go for whatever reasons and should not be punished for that simple fact. I don’t assume somebody is using those tactics just because they say that they quit the game, and anybody (yes anybody) who is leaving constructive and respectful feedback has a right to leave said feedback, regardless of their last login date.

I should also add that the considerations for this feature were over two years ago when we were launching the forums and determining what type of restrictions to put in place.

Mark Katzbach:

Okay everybody, I think this discussion has run its course. I appreciate all the feedback, and as I said earlier, this isn’t something we’re looking to implement anymore. I think the thing everybody should take away from this is that you can’t unilaterally judge the validity of a person’s opinion on factors external to the content of their comments.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver