Inf Watchknight Tonic cant be used in dungeon

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

from todays patch (09/30/14 – September 30 Release Notes):

Items

The Infinite Watchknight Tonic can no longer be used in dungeons.

may i ask why?

this tonic is made only less and less useful:

1) it stays for only 5 minutes
2) it has 30 minutes cooldown??? why even? i never understood why at all this is necessary…
3) now it cant even be used in dungeons anymore … i really just dont understand at all why this change would be necessary or what it would be good for?

it is nothing severe and ofc i can live with it ^^
but just a detail that i wondered about…
i mean why would anet make items worse without a reason?

or was there any exploit?
anet pls explain the logic behind the change

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

(edited by Orangensaft.7139)

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I was about 5 seconds away from making this exact topic.

It’s sad because this was one of the best rewards given out during season one. Or at least one of the most unique.

Now it’s just….useless, not that it was useful before, but still… Not sure why it needs a 5 minute duration AND a 30 minute reuse debuff. And not only that but you lose it if you die or switch areas, and you’re still stuck with the debuff.

If it was being used in a exploit, okay. Whatever. But it still seems lazy that instead of fixing the actual exploit they nerf this tonic further into uselessness.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: Syzygy.5031

Syzygy.5031

I habitually use this in one dungeon – so my charr toon can complete the harpy fractal without major camera issues on the planks section. Happens every time without.

So now I’m likely going to fractal gear one of my human or asura chars, or find another tonic, that is usable in dungeons, that reduces my oversized, camera breaking charr to a “normal” size.

Perhaps ANet can fix their broken camera if using tonics isn’t acceptable. Or resize all charrs…

Seems an utterly ridiculous change to me. It’s not like it lasts very long.

(edited by Syzygy.5031)

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

More bad changes. Sigh.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

This….. was a strange thing to change.

Was there any sort of exploit or bug attached to using this next to useless tonic in a dungeon that they had to go out of their way to “fix”.

If they are going to fix it, why not change the timer on it so it’s something that people can actually enjoy using.

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

I habitually use this in one dungeon – so my charr toon can complete the harpy fractal without major camera issues on the planks section. Happens every time without.

So now I’m likely going to fractal gear one of my human or asura chars, or find another tonic, that is usable in dungeons, that reduces my oversized, camera breaking charr to a “normal” size.

Perhaps ANet can fix their broken camera if using tonics isn’t acceptable. Or resize all charrs…

Get the Ghostly Tonic from Ascalonian Catacombs. They drop often enough in the explorable paths and even then they are only 10 tokens each.

In regards to the watchknight tonic… Unless there was some sort of exploit this change is mind boggling….

Syzygy.5031

Get the Ghostly Tonic from Ascalonian Catacombs. They drop often enough in the explorable paths and even then they are only 10 tokens each.

Ooh, didn’t think of those – thanks! I mostly NPC them, but I’m bound to have a few still in bags somewhere!

I guess they want to prevent horrible exploits in story dungeons, like so:
(We thought it was rather neat transforms worked in the cut scenes, so the whole party transformed for that step, when we were doing achievements)

Attachments:

Posted by: Sigpaos.2615

Sigpaos.2615

In regards to the watchknight tonic… Unless there was some sort of exploit this change is mind boggling….

I use the Endless Cat Tonic from the Laurel vendor on my Norn for the same purpose.

Edit: You can jump as a cat, and when you get one of the tiny kitten illusions, jumping puzzles are so easy.

(edited by Sigpaos.2615)

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

I will never understand the logic behind removing fun, harmless things from the game. I really do hope there was an exploit. The only “exploit” I can think of was using the tonic then changing back in the second half of AC p3 which did nothing other than un-ghostify you. Which, if it had been like literally all the other tonics and simply couldn’t be used when transformed it wouldn’t have been a problem.

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

Posted by: pessimist.7294

pessimist.7294

Its the Anet way to fix thing: Dont fix the bug/exploit, instead mess up something which works fine. Probably a way to keep their employers busy.

Posted by: rainynoble.6531

rainynoble.6531

Why? why?
Anet please tell us WHY??

I am seriously mad right now.

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

A combat tonic – that cant be used anywhere that you might want to fight?

This should be turned into a costume brawl item rather than being left in its new, sad and unusable state.

Posted by: Kasima.8143

Kasima.8143

I’m with everyone else : Huh… why?

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

I am deeply disappointed.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’d like to know the answer to this too. It seems weird thing to change with no reason stated.

Posted by: JanNier Kryn Yaren.7968

JanNier Kryn Yaren.7968

This is the most ridiculous, absurd, laughable nonsensical idiotic ludicrous motion of all the days, there are hundreds if not thousand bots in gw1 to farm 50 points for gw2 players, and due to the lack of developers nothing can be done about it, and some one wasted time on something like this? It doesn’t matter if it was simple or small code edition, the very motion, it blows my mind like an asura being fired from the Vigil Mega Lazer straight into Tequatl’s face armed only with a spoon.

ps, it seems I can’t use the word co/ckeyed which means something that is awry, skew-whiff, lopsided, wonky, askew.

(edited by JanNier Kryn Yaren.7968)

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

So, what was this exploit? What problems did it actual cause? From my perspective this seems a horrible change. The tonic was used for fun, can’t see any advantage other than being fun…well before the change today.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

It’s getting closer and closer to me just upright deleting it. It’s only being kept for novelty atm for how pointless it is.

Duty is heavier than death.

Posted by: Skoigoth.9238

Skoigoth.9238

I loved to pop this tonic in dungeons just for fun, when there was some downtime in pug-runs for example :< What´s up for nerf next? Pointless quaggan tonic nerf maybe, hmm?

If there was an issue/exploit connected to this tonic that needed to be fixed, why on earth would they not at least put a vague explanation in the patch notes as to why this functionality has been removed?

I really don´t get it… Is this asking for too much? Maybe I should be happy it is mentioned in patch notes at all, unlike most of the “stealth-changes” to dungeons that happen quite frequently.

It makes me very sad that by now even small things like this trigger so much disappointment and distrust in a-nets transparency police in me.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Yeah, I’m baffled too. Why was this removed? O.o I mean, I never even used the tonic anyway, but what harm was it doing? The only reason I can think of is that some players have found a way to use it to exploit a dungeon, but ANet obviously don’t want to share knowledge of what that exploit is.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I’m not upset, because I’ve probably never used this it in a dungeon before anyway. (Although, with the five minute use, thirty-minute cooldown ratio, I hardly ever use it at all.) (Although, I can understand that some people did use it and enjoy it in dungeons.)

Mostly, I’m just confused. What problem is this change fixing? If the problem is fixed, why can’t we be told what the problem was in the patch notes?

It’s discouraging when we see things like this get changed for the worse with no obvious reason for it. I know there are people on the other side making these changes, but it makes game updates seem frustratingly random and arbitrary.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

So about that communications thing …

pessimist.7294

It got closed down again.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

As everyone else stated, Anet… you took the time to make one of the most useless items in game even more useless???? If anything happened to this tonic, I’d hope it would be to increase the timer to 15 minutes and removed the cool down. THAT would be time well spent on it. Something players would appreciate to see.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Just gonna copy/paste my reddit post here.

I……really don’t understand the purpose of this change.
Like……the kitten, were mobs getting distracted by those finely engraved kitten cheeks?

pessimist.7294

Just gonna copy/paste my reddit post here.

I……really don’t understand the purpose of this change.
Like……the kitten, were mobs getting distracted by those finely engraved kitten cheeks?

Probably its hurting the feelings of the chinese players, just like death people skulls and stuff like that.

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

Wow… what can I say… thanks for the extra kick in the teeth. Seriously an explanation would be nice…. or a refund… could I have a mini panda?

Orangensaft.7139

so anyone knows why this was changed?

i dont think anet nerfed this tonic just to make players unhappy?
or…?

26x lvl 80 Characters

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

It makes no sense at all why this change happened. I mean really what harm was doing watchknight dungeon runs? Why?

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

I’m thinking it was to prevent people from not going ghosts in AC? O_o That’s all I could think of.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

this will drastically change how often i use my watchknight tonic, from zero to….
oh, wait.. nevermind

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

this will drastically change how often i use my watchknight tonic, from zero to….
oh, wait.. nevermind

Why do you have it, if you never use it? ._.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

oh, wait.. nevermind

I still have it also and never use it. My mule keeps it in storage.

I still have it in hopes that one day ANet will change that ridiculous use timer.

I wanted that thing so badly. I thought, and still do think, that the look is so cool and interesting. And I was so disappointed in it once I found out it’s only 5 minutes in 25. I still have hope, though I admit it’s a faint one.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Less Than Zero

I’m holding on to mine in the hope that it will someday be fixed.

Until then, it is slightly less worthless when sitting in a bank slot than it would be sitting in my character inventory actively getting in the way of loot.

I realize, given the trend, that it is more likely this item will be made even more worthless in the future, but I still can’t bring myself to delete it.

A rather sorry and depressing state of affairs, frankly, but there it is.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

or…?

The reason is the tonic enabled exploiting/glitching in dungeons

9 Guardians later…

Orangensaft.7139

or…?

The reason is the tonic enabled exploiting/glitching in dungeons

ok
but in anet could have at least said “changed due to a possible exploit…”
then people wouldnt wonder so much

but i still really cant imagine what exploit that might have been…
do you know what exploit it was?

26x lvl 80 Characters

Posted by: Togashi Jack.9531

Togashi Jack.9531

This is really right now more of an issue of lack of transparency. They changed functionality.. Why exactly? There didn’t seem to be anything wrong with the item to the vast majority of players. Instead its lost some degree of functionality with no explanation. Even if you weren’t using the item beforehand it raises questions.

I’d honestly have preferred if at the same time as they removed its ability to be used in dungeons that they had made it into a costume brawl item. Rather than straight up being a removal, it becomes an exchange of functionality, finding new uses.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

The only reason I can think of for the nerf is the fact that the new updates anet is applying to the game can be exploited in some way through the use of the tonic.

I believe they modified the charrzooka consumable when the Great Jungle Wurm was released, because it clashed with something to do with the Harpoon gun at Amber wurm.

Maybe the Mordrem Vine Chambers (that require players to punch their way out if trapped) can be instantly exited by transforming?

still not sure…. but Anet always keeps us in the dark when it comes to patching exploits anyway…. so I’m not surprised by their silence on the issue.

Posted by: rainynoble.6531

rainynoble.6531

Instead of fixing the root of exploit/glitch(if any) they decided to butcher an item that already has limited functionality, no wonder people are losing faith.

Syzygy.5031

Outrageous. I love the smell of double standards.

Magic Carpet – 250 gems
Usable inside dungeons and spvp
Infinite Watchknight Tonic
Can no longer be used in dungeons.

I truly hope that the carpet not only allows whatever made you nerf the tonic, but has some more significant dungeon problems associated with it.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

I’ve never really used the tonic…but reading those changes, that’s extremely pointless. Can’t complain other than why did they waste any time on it?

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

This is the most ridiculous, absurd, laughable nonsensical idiotic ludicrous motion of all the days, there are hundreds if not thousand bots in gw1 to farm 50 points for gw2 players, and due to the lack of developers nothing can be done about it, and some one wasted time on something like this? It doesn’t matter if it was simple or small code edition, the very motion, it blows my mind like an asura being fired from the Vigil Mega Lazer straight into Tequatl’s face armed only with a spoon.

ps, it seems I can’t use the word co/ckeyed which means something that is awry, skew-whiff, lopsided, wonky, askew.

I’m not familiar with this particular outrage on the forums. Are you saying it bothers you that some people might be botting in a different game for 50 AP in GW2?

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Akuni.8604

Akuni.8604

I’m not familiar with this particular outrage on the forums. Are you saying it bothers you that some people might be botting in a different game for 50 AP in GW2?

500 AP through 50 points in the Hall. That also includes skins, Minis and Titles. I don’t know if there’s a lot of botting going on tbh but if – Yeah then it’s quite unfair to the ones who grinded to 50 points by themself before gw2. Or the ones trying to do so by themself atm (God, managing those mob-groups with all the degeneration and regeneration is quite hard sometimes xD I’s so comfortable getting back to gw2 where you can pull 1 foe after another ^^’)

Oh and yeah I used the tonic aswell even though the 5 in 25min thing annoyed the hell out of me. Getting it nerfed even further just because some people use it for glitching is sad. They’d be better of in turning it in a brawler toy. Even though that’d delete like the only combat tonic in gw2 – That direction was awsome and I don’t know why they went on and abroad to kill it like that.

(edited by Akuni.8604)

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

500 AP through 50 points in the Hall. That also includes skins, Minis and Titles. I don’t know if there’s a lot of botting going on tbh but if – Yeah then it’s quite unfair to the ones who grinded to 50 points by themself before gw2. Or the ones trying to do so by themself atm (God, managing those mob-groups with all the degeneration and regeneration is quite hard sometimes xD I’s so comfortable getting back to gw2 where you can pull 1 foe after another ^^’)

Oh and yeah I used the tonic aswell even though the 5 in 25min thing annoyed the hell out of me. Getting it nerfed even further just because some people use it for glitching is sad. They’d be better of in turning it in a brawler toy. Even though that’d delete like the only combat tonic in gw2 – That direction was awsome and I don’t know why they went on and abroad to kill it like that.

Yea but quite honestly, the amount of work required in GW1 to essentially convert into titles/minis/skins/500AP is definitely not worth it. 500AP can be made up in a fraction of the time simply doing dailies/monthlies, not to mention every other source of AP in the game.

I dunno, it just seems like an odd thing to find unfair considering people have to put in a ton of work for very little reward (the skins/minis/titles mean nothing to me— and 500AP can be achieved in less than a month so..)

I say, if they want to grind out all 50 points in GW1 to get 500AP in GW2, more power to them, it’s a fabulous waste of time and one of the worst AP/hr sources that exists currently.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Do the item cooldown debuff now expire even when offline?

Since last time I checked, the cooldown debuff ticks only when online on that character…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: Akuni.8604

Akuni.8604

Do the item cooldown debuff now expire even when offline?

Since last time I checked, the cooldown debuff ticks only when online on that character…

It doesn not. :/

And at above: Yeah for you that’s fine if you don’t mind. I for example, want to have the gw skins, pet’s and minis. That’s why I only go for 30 pts and not 50 as those are just for titles.