Insider trading is kind of unfair....

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The simplest solution is to just stop giving this info to special interests before everyone else. If they want to give out the info then give it EVERYONE, not just “special” people.

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

Can you prove that this isn’t just a bunch of speculators?

I was one of those speculators. I was burned when Traveler runes were buffed (I’d tossed a couple for cheap on the TP just before the patch). So this time I bought 100-250 of each of the “junk” superior runes and sigils a couple weeks ago. Only cost me about 60g. Unfortunately, it seems I missed Scavenger runes while flipping between TP pages. Otherwise that stack alone would’ve been worth about 600g.

If you look at the price history:
http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/24738

The sell price (“buy it now” price) was stable at just under 4s up until Sept 3, when it jumped to just under 8s. 72 hours ago (Sept 6), the number of buy orders began to climb. And 48 hours ago (just after noon on Sept 7) the sell price climbed 10x to just under 40s but buy orders continued to climb.

That’s a pretty clear indication that it was insider trading, not speculating. Speculators would’ve been scared off by the 10x price increase and buy orders should have dropped.

Edit: I suppose it’s possible speculators saw the price increase, figured someone knew something they didn’t, and decided to hop on the bandwagon. But that’s some very risky lemming behavior, even for a speculator.

(edited by Solandri.9640)

Posted by: Blanche Neige.7241

Blanche Neige.7241

The saddest part is that no ArenaNet officials consider this topic important enough to answer the players’ concerns.

Posted by: JohnnySupernova.9182

JohnnySupernova.9182

The saddest part is that no ArenaNet officials consider this topic important enough to answer the players’ concerns.

People have been complaining about insider trading for a while, but it’s never really been something a lot of people noticed. Anet HAS to know that it’s a thing that happens, but my bet is that they just don’t care, because in the long run, things costing a lot of gold on the trading post is just another incentive for people to buy gems.

Posted by: Feelm.1938

Feelm.1938

Why would ArenaNet care about insider trading? Prices rise, the rabid players buy gems to get gold to buy the new trinkets and then ArenaNet profits.

Posted by: John Smith.4610

John Smith.4610

I’ve actually commented on this more than once, but recently:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/bltc/I-have-a-question-about-the-economy/page/12#post4376858

"
Attempting to track people manually isn’t effective. If we suspect it’s getting unwieldy we have a numbers of options to make insider traders (and them only) lose large quantities of money. We’ve done this before to destabilize insider trading as an idea and will likely do it again."

I do not consider it insider trading once the information is released to the public in any form.

edit: Adding the post text so you don’t have to click if you don’t want to

(edited by John Smith.4610)

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

Thats guild wars for you, the only “casual” mmo where the most effective way to play is to never leave your home city and sit around watching the market all day long.

At least gem sales will be good and that money can be reinvested into the game itself, right?!

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Insider trading happens for a limited few. This info was released publicly in multiple locations, everyone had an equal opportunity at getting a leg up on profits.

Yes, only for the few that follow the game as closely. It’s the same thing. The majority of people don’t visit woodenpotato’s videos or dulfy’s website. Items shouldn’t be revealed until patch releases, otherwise the “select few” still have an advantage.

(edited by Moderator)

ZudetGambeous.9573

Insider trading happens for a limited few. This info was released publicly in multiple locations, everyone had an equal opportunity at getting a leg up on profits.

“everyone” = people who follow 1 of the 3 “special access” people that are allowed to play patches a week ahead of the rest of u…

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/bltc/I-have-a-question-about-the-economy/page/12#post4376858

I do not consider it insider trading once the information is released to the public in any form.

Releasing the information to privately operated information dissemination clearinghouses who have the option to control release to the public is not a release to the public at large. This is particularly the case in situations where the very individuals to whom the information was provided were in a position of conflict of interest because they are participants in the market for which they were provided early access to market influencing information.

I do not think that providing an individual, or a few individuals, early access to market information constitutes a release to the public. If it did then it would be acceptable for me to provide you with information regarding my publicly traded employer in order for you to profit from it because telling you would constitute public disclosure.

Would you consider it insider trading, in a real world sense, to give inside information to an individual, a member of the public, who had the option to profit from the information himself, or provide it to others of his choice, before making the information available to the public at large ?

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Yes, only for the few that follow the game as closely. It’s the same thing. The majority of people don’t visit woodenpotato’s videos or dulfy’s website. Items shouldn’t be revealed until patch releases, otherwise the “select few” still have an advantage.

Right, I’m inclined to agree. Keeping up with the latest preview videos and such isn’t insider trading, but it is still a potentially unfair way to reveal info in a patch like this one. It’s said so often on these forums that a lot of people don’t go read the forums, or whatever other social media. So for them, they are behind purely because they stick to watching the game itself.

Which I don’t really consider fair and I’m not even one of them.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

You know, I have this radical, waaaaay out there idea on how to fix this…

So, the problem is…
People find out something through this Insider Trading, buy a lot of stuff for cheap, then turn around and make a huge profit by inflating the cost of them on the TP…
That’s basically the gist of what I am reading here, yes?

Here’s the radical solution…
How about we don’t buy from them. Simply don’t pay these stupidly inflated costs for these items.

Seriously. People want to get greedy and jack up the price for these items to stupidly high levels? Then I say let those items sit in the TP and rot.
People keep inflating the prices as high as they do because, apparently… some dumb rube is stupid enough to keep paying that much.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Piecekeeper.4361

Piecekeeper.4361

The information should of been released to everyone by anet at the same time.

Not just to a select few who could preview the patch.

Yes they shared the info with all and made guides ect but I bet most of the prices had shot up by the time any of the info was published online to see. As that guy said the first comment on the dulfy guide was made 14 hours ago but most collectables needed were bought out 24 hours ago (probably about the same time the patch went live for the select few with early access seeing as the servers are about to go down for patch now)

How could they do this? How could the get the info to everyone at the same time? Not through the forums, most people don’t read them. Patch notes? We all know a lot of people don’t read those either. They could wait until the patch releases, with absolutely no info given out before hand, but how long would the playerbase go along with that? We all demand to have the info early, plus, they need to generate some buzz.

Maybe they should just mail out a letter to every player with the info in it? Text the info to every person’s phone?

C’mon, they did the best they could with giving the info to the most prolific and watched guide and video makers. That’s the way they told “everyone” at once.

I think you are blowing this whole insider trading thing out of proportion. Maybe a few people made a fine bit of money, but the market was going to skyrocket either way, most people complaining are just mad because they didn’t get the early jump to take advantage of other people.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Thanks for the big middle finger, but that’s about right coming from you.

“everyone” = people who follow 1 of the 3 “special access” people that are allowed to play patches a week ahead of the rest of u…

The information is/was public. It doesn’t matter how many sources, if you follow the market at all, you’ll always do better than people that don’t. This is true in just about any RL situation you can think of. The more you know

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Ashen.2907

C’mon, they did the best they could with giving the info to the most prolific and watched guide and video makers.

Honestly curious, did they release the information on any official site at the same time ?

Releasing the information to individual players, participants in the affected market, who might then choose to subsequently spread the word, does not constitute providing it to everyone.

Posted by: Munkee.3542

Munkee.3542

Except that’s not what’s happening. Add in the fact that the information is coming out in the far corners of the GW2 community, it’s moronic. If you don’t consider this bad, then you guys need to smarten up. Announce it yourself, officially, so that it’s fair game for everyone. There are people jumping the gun on things on the live client and there have been since the start. You don’t have to tell me for me to know that. If it doesn’t come out of your mouths then it’s not being handled properly. Period. You’ve allowed people to destroy what was already a miserable economy.

Mesmer
Pinnacle Of Responsibility [Mom] – Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Minigrump.4961

Minigrump.4961

My brain hurts from the sheer stupidity I have read on this thread. Honestly people stop being a bunch of kittening whiners. You’re complaining because why? You did not get to make a profit off this when some people did? Oh they have information that I don’t because they look at guides and previews to the patch and put more effort in than I did. How dare people be like that.

Oh my god he worked more and put more effort in than I did, and got paid more than me for it, that is so unfair and my boss should compensate me for it. This is how most people on this thread sound like to me.

Ashen.2907

Oh my god he worked more and put more effort in than I did, and got paid more than me for it, that is so unfair and my boss should compensate me for it. This is how most people on this thread sound like to me.

Not at all the concern at hand.

Labjax.2465

How could they do this? How could the get the info to everyone at the same time? Not through the forums, most people don’t read them. Patch notes? We all know a lot of people don’t read those either. They could wait until the patch releases, with absolutely no info given out before hand, but how long would the playerbase go along with that? We all demand to have the info early, plus, they need to generate some buzz.

Actually you don’t need to read patch notes. All you have to do is log in curious and look at your Rare Collections – boom, Treasure Hunter tells you about many of the now skyrocketed items that you’ll need.

Of course, releasing the info when the patch goes out has its own set of problems; some people can’t log on right away and so those who are sitting at their computers waiting to log in get the first crack at it. But at least then it would guarantee a greater number of people the same chance, as opposed to semi-obscure preview videos.

I completely understand their desire to generate buzz – don’t get me wrong. But they could have limited the access to select, trusted people and told them under legal threat with NDA not to show certain collections. At the end of the day, what’s done is done, but for future reference, I do believe there are better ways to handle a situation like this.

Or words to that effect.

munkiman.3068

Releasing the information to privately operated information dissemination clearinghouses who have the option to control release to the public is not a release to the public at large. This is particularly the case in situations where the very individuals to whom the information was provided were in a position of conflict of interest because they are participants in the market for which they were provided early access to market influencing information.

I do not think that providing an individual, or a few individuals, early access to market information constitutes a release to the public. If it did then it would be acceptable for me to provide you with information regarding my publicly traded employer in order for you to profit from it because telling you would constitute public disclosure.

Would you consider it insider trading, in a real world sense, to give inside information to an individual, a member of the public, who had the option to profit from the information himself, or provide it to others of his choice, before making the information available to the public at large ?

Are you assuming those that got a hands-on preview are the ones that blew up the prices on some of that stuff? I’m pretty sure Johns response covered that, that is not the case, and that it’s been handled before and will likely be handled again.

People watched publicly released information, available to anyone and not tucked away in a safe or behind greasing palms. This isn’t exactly a new thing they did either, it was completely the case last feature pack and sometimes just reading the dat notes that_shaman posts would give people a slightly more educated risk at a certain market.

Ashen.2907

Are you assuming those that got a hands-on preview are the ones that blew up the prices on some of that stuff? I’m pretty sure Johns response covered that, that is not the case, and that it’s been handled before and will likely be handled again.

People watched publicly released information, available to anyone and not tucked away in a safe or behind greasing palms. This isn’t exactly a new thing they did either, it was completely the case last feature pack and sometimes just reading the dat notes that_shaman posts would give people a slightly more educated risk at a certain market.

I am not making assumptions.

I am saying that providing early access to market affecting information to participants in that market in the hope that they will take care of public dissemination for you, particularly when a neutral information distribution system is in place, is not a good option for public release.

Posted by: Minigrump.4961

Minigrump.4961

Seems like it is to me. People put effort in to find out the information and what is needed for this patch. People complain about how they use this information to get the items beforehand and make a profit off it. That is the heart of this, the profit/cost of the items. Pretty sure if it was only karma items being needed for collections then people would not care how early they got the information.

And the information was given to members of the guild wars 2 community for the sole reason that they spread that information and get publicity for it. So I don’t see how its insiders information unless WP, dulfy and Mattvisual are making huge profits off of the information they were given

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

"
Attempting to track people manually isn’t effective. If we suspect it’s getting unwieldy we have a numbers of options to make insider traders (and them only) lose large quantities of money. We’ve done this before to destabilize insider trading as an idea and will likely do it again."

So essentially your stance is it’s fair as long as only a few are doing it….

So much for fair play there John, that attitude really fosters confidence in you and your team….

If the options are there to prevent it, they should be being deployed every time, which really doesn’t seem to be the case because pretty much every patch that alters demand for items will see those items change value severals before the patch before any public information is released. The entirely unfair and obviously untrustworthy alpha team within this game is tiring given the lack of action on the anet staff to deal with it because these types of threads come up so frequently, someone at Anet will confirm that insider trading is happening and then nothing at all happens…that’s the kind of response that drives people away because it’s showing customers that you and anet can not be trusted.

Also people go look at spidy, you’ll see quite a few of these items raising in price dramatically earlier than yesterday when the info was made public, research things rather than blindly believe things.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

(edited by Protoavis.9107)

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

Slapping them on the wrist after they cheat the system by making them “lose money” (as John Smith says), is not enough.

These people not only violate the trust that Anet has given them, but they are also cheating other players.

BAN THEM.

Don’t just slap them on the wrists. Irresponsible Anet…….

Ashen.2907

Seems like it is to me. People put effort in to find out the information and what is needed for this patch. People complain about how they use this information to get the items beforehand and make a profit off it. That is the heart of this, the profit/cost of the items. Pretty sure if it was only karma items being needed for collections then people would not care how early they got the information.

And the information was given to members of the guild wars 2 community for the sole reason that they spread that information and get publicity for it. So I don’t see how its insiders information unless WP, dulfy and Mattvisual are making huge profits off of the information they were given

The information was provided to players who participate in the market. Those players then get to decide how, when, where to share it. That is a bit off.

Going to another player for a piece of information that has not been released to the public at large is not, “working harder,” any more than me telling you inside information about my employer so that you could profit from a very likely increase in our stock trading rate next month would represent you working harder than someone to whom the information was not provided.

To clarify, as mentioned previously, I am not saying that insider trading actually occurred. I am merely responding to Mr Smith’s comment that providing market affecting information to a small number of participants in that same market does not qualify as disclosure to the public at large.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

"

Well now I’m afraid of youtube videos, haha.

Posted by: Wiz.1543

Wiz.1543

Or take a quote from Dulfy. So much this.

Or you know, don’t let the videos release pre-patch or cancel the previews all together to make it fair for everyone and all the fansites. Getting tired of playing catch up every patch.

In other words don’t release anything that can influence the tradingpost, or release it via an official channel so everybody is informed at the same time.

Playing catch up takes a lot of the enjoyment out of the otherwise great patch.

I know content creators like Woodenpotatoes, Boggoter Mighty Teapot and Matt Visual which I am all a fan of need content to prepare for great video’s to get us more into gw2. So what you can do is split content in tradingpost effecting and non tradingpost effecting. And only let the latter be previewed. This is easier said than done, and easy from a standby perspective.

But something needs to be done about playing catch up every time.

Maybe one simple but elegant solution is to take off the trading post x time before and x time and after patch?

(edited by Wiz.1543)

munkiman.3068

I am not making assumptions.

I am saying that providing early access to market affecting information to participants in that market in the hope that they will take care of public dissemination for you, particularly when a neutral information distribution system is in place, is not a good option for public release.

This is true for any item sold ever, in RL markets. If the Times posted an article claiming your favorite item, one you buy all the time, is seeing a shortage and the price will likely go up, wouldn’t you just go out and buy up stock in that item to save you money down the road if you can? Or do they need to post all that info in a billboard somewhere so it’s more public?

This is actually a VERY highly controlled market, people get kittened more in RL markets than they ever will in a video game market. All anyone has to do is a google search once a day and get informed. I’m often the first one to call foul here, but this is just blatantly silly. Arguably, everyone has a much more equal jump on the market when the info is released before the patch, since you wouldn’t be hindered if you had a slow internet connection to D/L the patch. I mean they even posted these sources on facebook, twitter and even talked about it on twitch… I’m not sure what else anyone expects them to do?

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

Technically true. But it misses the point. Sure, it may not be called ‘insider trading’ at that point, but it is a messed up situation.
If I work for a company and know something big will go down tomorrow, and I post it on facebook, then all my friends who see that post first buy the stock, then all their friends who see their repost buy the stock, etc. That is what is going on here: it is ‘released to the public’, yet it isn’t released to the entire public at the same time, so only the people on the inside get to make use of the information, because by the time it gets to 90% of the public, that information is not useful.

Why is any info even released at all? It used to be all we’d get is “we have a big announcement on improvements to existing stuff coming sept 9th”, then everyone tries and guesses what it is. Why even tell anyone that X will be highly demanded, Y will get nerfed to smithereens, and Z’s supply will disappear?
I’ll end with pointing out that fining the inside traders gold is pointless. Most of them release info to gain popularity and promote their youtube channel or website and make $$ selling ad space. Better to leak fake info to them so no one trusts anything anyone claims ahead of time.

Posted by: Sweetblue Huntress.9856

Sweetblue Huntress.9856

My brain hurts from the sheer stupidity I have read on this thread. Honestly people stop being a bunch of kittening whiners. You’re complaining because why? You did not get to make a profit off this when some people did? Oh they have information that I don’t because they look at guides and previews to the patch and put more effort in than I did. How dare people be like that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this.

Leta Lorelei – Luwythea – Too many more to name
Jade Quarry

Posted by: SRG.3607

SRG.3607

What has been done with the collections, needing items (exotics mainly) that have been bought in the week before the patch by speculators, is just … disgusting for regular players. Very bad move ANet. Very bad move.

Ashen.2907

This is true for any item sold ever, in RL markets. If the Times posted an article claiming your favorite item, one you buy all the time, is seeing a shortage and the price will likely go up, wouldn’t you just go out and buy up stock in that item to save you money down the road if you can?

Is that information about shortage of the item being provided by the company that produces the item based on their inside knowledge of the item and the market it impacts ?

Is the information being provided to a private blogger (or selct few such) who is a participant in the market being affected ?

Or is your example one of a reputable news organization disseminating the information, likely based on their own investigation or the investigations of associated news organizations, to the public at large ?

You reference buying up stock in an item facing a shortage in order to save money down the road. This thread references price jumps based on what is being called insider trading (but which may be only very effective speculation).

Labjax.2465

It’s not even true though…

For example, I’m arguing against it on principle. I probably wouldn’t have tried to profit off of it anyway, had I known sooner.

Or words to that effect.

Ashen.2907

Technically true. But it misses the point. Sure, it may not be called ‘insider trading’ at that point, but it is a messed up situation.
If I work for a company and know something big will go down tomorrow, and I post it on facebook, then all my friends who see that post first buy the stock, then all their friends who see their repost buy the stock, etc.

That would be illegal and could be considered insider trading.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

If Anet is going to let this kind of insider trading continue then they should consider locking all sales on the TP until patches go live.

I shouldn’t need to “know someone” in order to get collections done.

Insider traders: get karma converter for ~300g

Not insider traders: now costs >1000g

For those who don’t know, guides to all collections and what you need were posted last night by people who had “special access” to the patch. All the items used for collections have since been bought out and relisted for 100x the price.

A number of video previews went up over the last day that talked about collections extensively including showing some of the items needed to complete. So for those who subscribe to those youtube channels, they got a head start. Dulfy’s collection guide went up yesterday as well, listing some the items needed.

It’s not like it was secret. Sorry you didn’t get in on at. I didn’t either but I don’t care. I’ll just collect them when they drop. And then sell it for filthy lucre to someone to lazy to find one themselves.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Wiz.1543

Wiz.1543

If Anet is going to let this kind of insider trading continue then they should consider locking all sales on the TP until patches go live.

For those who don’t know, guides to all collections and what you need were posted last night by people who had “special access” to the patch. All the items used for collections have since been bought out and relisted for 100x the price.

A number of video previews went up over the last day that talked about collections extensively including showing some of the items needed to complete. So for those who subscribe to those youtube channels, they got a head start. Dulfy’s collection guide went up yesterday as well, listing some the items needed.

It’s not like it was secret. Sorry you didn’t get in on at. I didn’t either but I don’t care. I’ll just collect them when they drop. And then sell it for filthy lucre to someone to lazy to find one themselves.

A difference in 5 minutes can mean 50g per item difference. This is why it needs to be released at the exact same time or shut down the tradingpost for 24 hours when the NDA expires.

(edited by Wiz.1543)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I just find it somewhat grating that the disclosure of information like this by [expletive deleted] youtube jockeys on “shows” I wouldn’t watch if I was paid to do so, is considered “releasing information to the public”.

I like this game, but watching online 3rd party youtube drivel about it isn’t a sacrifice I’m willing to make under any circumstance.

Posted by: Sweetblue Huntress.9856

Sweetblue Huntress.9856

It’s not even true though…

For example, I’m arguing against it on principle. I probably wouldn’t have tried to profit off of it anyway, had I known sooner.

The announcement could be made in all venues at the same time. The fact would still stand that somebody would be sleeping/working/school/whatever at that time and miss out on making money. Such is life. There are people who spend their game time watching the market and flipping things. Hey, if that’s fun for them, more power to them…I prefer to be out and about in Tyria.

This happens every single patch, announcement, data mining, rumors, speculation. Something becomes the next big thing and the prices spike. You’ll also see that most things that spike come back down in price. There will always be people preying on the people that must have it now must have it first!

It really just sounds like a temper tantrum to me. Op wants more money…don’t we all…and feels cheated out. /shrugs

Leta Lorelei – Luwythea – Too many more to name
Jade Quarry

Posted by: Southern.8973

Southern.8973

A number of video previews went up over the last day that talked about collections extensively including showing some of the items needed to complete. So for those who subscribe to those youtube channels, they got a head start. Dulfy’s collection guide went up yesterday as well, listing all the items needed.

I understand what John is saying – once WoodenPotatoes released his video, then John considers that to be “public information” and therefore not bound by Insider Trading rules. (And I don’t mean to single WP out here, he’s just the only one with a video of the prepatch changes that I’ve seen).

And if that’s “All” that happened, then I’m perfectly fine with it; granted, I don’t subscribe to Dulfy or WPs youtube channels, but I have the OPTION to.

I think what many of us are concerned about (well, ok, at least in MY case) is that there are players that have access to this information weeks BEFORE the patch. WP may have posted his video on the 8th, but how long has he “known” that “(X )Exotic Weapon” would be used for a collection? A week? 2 weeks? Do we fully trust WP (and/or whomever else might have pre-patch access) with that type of information, and the wherewithal not to use and/or abuse that information prior to patch day?

TL;DR, I feel sorry for the people that didn’t have access to all the information at the same time; items that cost 200g last week are now spiking @ 2,000g. And some people who had items on the TP this morning and are at work all day are going to come home to find out the item they sold this morning on the TP for a pittance is now worth 10x more after the patch.

I know in my case, from here on out I’m going to take everything I’m selling off the TP at least 2 days before the patch and just wait until after the patch to list it. There’s obviously just too much room for abuse.

Posted by: Felkes.2759

Felkes.2759

Insider trading is illegal in real life, if it’s going on in game it should be stopped. No if, ands, or buts.

Posted by: Acinonyx Rex.8609

Acinonyx Rex.8609

"

So anything we found on Dulfy or Youtube should be considered as official communicaiton from Anet ?

Are you really paid for your job ? And your boss is aware of that ?

Posted by: Gambit.8425

Gambit.8425

Delaying the info to patch release won’t change anything, a few minutes in and the spike would hit anyway. The problem is entirely around how ANET choose to develope this game, reinventing the wheel over and over, dusting off old tradeable items instead of bringing in new stuff for i.e. the added achievements.

The logical approach would’ve been that the boss loot etc. we now have to gather were added to the boss together with the patch, preferably with a better than stupidly low drop rate. Make us play the game for it instead of the usual whales buying it and the rest skipping it unless the RNG strikes.

So, of course ANET must be satisfied with the current, user-unfriendly system where someone convert gems, or buy from the hard working gold sellers who have a huge part in this failed virtual economy, for those 2000 gold needed.

Behellagh.1468

My Bonette’s Rapier shot up. To bad I have it equipped.

gw2tp stopped updates after 5:58am EDT and came back online at 4:12pm EDT
GW2Spidy stopped after 2:15-2:29pm EDT update and came back at 4:00-4:14pm EDT

Now spidy showed the price starting to move up slightly at 11:30-11:44am EDT update with the first big leap at the 2:15-2:29pm EDT update, up to 49.9997g from 29.5g at the 1:45-1:59 update.

So some acted between the 10:45-10:59am EDT and 11:30-11:45am EDT time frame buying the supply down from 72 to 30 with only a 3.3g increase. The next sample showed supply down to 15 and that was the time the price was 3c shy of 50g. By the time the TP feed came back online, price was over 84g with 11 in supply. Since then supply is back up to 37 with a sell price at 54.5g, roughly doubled.

Last major peak in supply for this weapon was mid July. Supply dropped over the next two weeks to the 70 level. Just a week ago supply was sub 50 with prices around 25.5g. Prices popup up to 29.5g a few days later and fell back to the 26-26.5g level until the patch hit.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Southern.8973

Southern.8973

Delaying the info to patch release won’t change anything, a few minutes in and the spike would hit anyway. The problem is entirely around how ANET choose to develope this game, reinventing the wheel over and over, dusting off old tradeable items instead of bringing in new stuff for i.e. the added achievements.

The logical approach would’ve been that the boss loot etc. we now have to gather were added to the boss together with the patch, preferably with a better than stupidly low drop rate. Make us play the game for it instead of the usual whales buying it and the rest skipping it unless the RNG strikes.

So, of course ANET must be satisfied with the current, user-unfriendly system where someone convert gems, or buy from the hard working gold sellers who have a huge part in this failed virtual economy, for those 2000 gold needed.

You win the Internet, sir.

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

this is why communism is good

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

Certainly ArenaNet could have been more discreet in what they let people publicize ahead of the patch. Would that have prevented this upheaval? Of course not.

Items jumping from trash to valuable will always result in a market flip like this. For those of us who just use the market like normal people instead of treating it like its own PvP sport, it’s really a moot point whether the information became available to flip the market shortly before or after the patch itself.

By the time I get home to actually play today, the condition of the market will have reached the same point either way.

Is it unfair that some players were able to profit immensely from this, while screwing the rest of us over? Absolutely. Is that a realistic part of a trading system based on real-world stock markets? Yes, and you already knew that.

I should be writing.

ZudetGambeous.9573

this is why communism is good

A fair start for everyone, and the use of official channels is a far cry from communism.

What occurs in this system is illegal in all capitalist societies.

Posted by: chemie banger.9624

chemie banger.9624

Releasing it to a select few is not the public.

Behellagh.1468

Releasing it to a select few is not the public.

It is if they then turn around and post it.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: chemie banger.9624

chemie banger.9624

Erh no.
If they posted it back on the GW2 site maybe.

Companies cant release price sensitive information at analyst meetings to be passed onto their clients.Unless it also released to the market. Exchanges around the world handle this themselves.