Inspired Character Names!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ausfer.1853

Ausfer.1853

My guardian is Ulfgar Grawlslapper, Hero of the Norn.

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

For the most part, I try to get names which would fit in a lore sense.

My main however is the same as it was in the original Guild Wars, I had a male mesmer called Evans Faith, which was just a switch of Faith Evans who had, among others, the great hit Mesmerized. His reincarnation has become a guardian, but I made him the Flameseeker Prophecies as a family heirloom, to stay in theme.

My Sylvari mesmer is thematically build around the ley lines. As such, her name is Leyliana, a play on ley line and liana. By using Zodiac armor mixed with cultural and Mawdrey as backpack, she embodies her name.

My Charr warrior’s name is Katsumi Bittersteel, part of the Steel warband. She changed her name to Bittersteel after the loss of her warband by the hand of Steelbane. After her promotion, it kind of stuck.

My Norn ranger is called Úlfr Skjótsson, which with some artistic liberty translates into “Son of the swift Wolf”. Of course, I always have a wolf companion with me.

My Asuran thief is called Smeeff. It’s short, it’s silly, it fits. There’s nothing more to it.

Then I have a human necromancer named Fabian Durheim, descendant of house Durheim who claim to have a special relationship with Grenth.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

oreithyia is the name of a greek nymph that was married to Boreas (borealis), her name means “storm through the mountains”…I used Orentyia as a form of it for my norn warrior and Oreanthus for my human guardian.I’m planning on doing “Boreas” as a name for my revenant.

Oreanthus has the second name “Damon” from the ballad by Friedrich Schiller, “die Bürgschaft” (the pledge).
Damon tries a tyrannicide at dionys, fails and should be crucified. He asks for 3 days of time to plan the marriage of his sister and leaves his best friend as his warrantor. the best friend trust him and when he actually comes back sholrtly before the 3 days are over, Dionys is so amazed by that that he asks to become their friend too and is not a heartless tyran anymore.

Antigone Nasjakova (charr, ele): a greek drama figure that was caught up between the mighty and end up dying. .. her surname is Nasjakova, which doesn’t fit the setting at all, but I wanted three characters to be called “Ohri, Nasi und Bohri” as a nickname…which would translated to something like “Ear-y Nose-y and pick-y”…I know I’m very adult with this. XD. Russian-ish surnames also sound very kitten to me.
she has three cubs of different age ith differen sires in the Fahrar, but because she thinks they have to get strong on their own, she doesn’t have contact with them.
she’s one of these moms that always write letters and annoy the Primus, because she wants to know how they’re doing though. she may not be very caring, but she wants her boys and girl to do well and make her and the legion proud.

Blaithín the Bard (mesmer, Sylvari): Blaithín means “small flower” in gaelic and “the bard” because I thought of her as a carney and ballad-monger telling the news she heard on her travels by singing simple ballads.

Eoghan Eibenblatt (ranger, sylvari ): Eoghan means “born form the yew tree” in gealic. Eibenblatt means “yew leaf” but it is also connects with “Legolas Grünblatt” the German name of Legolas from The Lord of the Rings.
Klonkh Zawoosh: it’s a onomatopoeia and it sounds pretty “Asura” to me.

Kaiserkind (emperor’s child): my newest, human engi. sadly “Kindliche Kaiserin” (childlike empress) from the neverending story was already gone. I’d tried to make the character look very naive and childish. She is a streetrat, but she firmly believes, she’s actually a decendent of nobility dreaming of being born with a golden spoon in her mouth. She’s still a streetrat though and is actually a bit perfidious. The name was a mock of streetrat friends and foes, because of her wierd habit of proclaiming that she’s a “princess”, she likes it and since everyone used it, her “real name” was forgotten.

(edited by Oreithyia.3064)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

For my Sylvari, I wanted plant names. This was of course before I realized that by lore they were using Celtic names. ;p

So, my thief is Heather Foxglove. My Elementalist is Blue of the Heavens (a name for a type of wild onion, Allium caeruleum)

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

All of my characters have the name Tyr in them. I got the name from Breath Of Fire 1, it was the main of the end boss at the (which was actually a girl) but years later the changed it to Maria because Tyr was just a bad translation. However ive been using the name for almost 20 years now and almost legally had a name change (yep).

Tyr XIII
Tyr X I I I (tattood on me)
Tyr V I
Tyrannus Krogan (Mass Effect is King)
Tyrzamaeus Krogan
Aelia Valtyrie
Tyrael Stormbringer (my most used name in every mmo, though its usually Tyr Stormbringer)
Tyrael Worldwalker
Czar Tyr Boudabras (Boudabras is Elven for Chaos in the Demon Wars elf language)
Tyr Almighty
Tyr Above All (name ive been using the most recently)

and my one toon with a different name is Crypt The Immortal. The reason I made this is because my in game friend, CP, or Cee Pee, died last April 13th. He mained necromancer and only played sylvari. I took the letters CP and added them to Tyr and came up with Crypt.

<3 BoF1! Just had to be said!

Condolences to your friend passing.

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

I have a lot of characters based off old art, and D&D characters:
Sankofa Jimiyu – Human Mesmer descendant of my GW1 Mesmer, Ayanna Jimiyu.
Thwisp – Sylvari Ranger that I had in Beta. Loved the name so kept it. I had the concept of Autumn when I made her, so I ended up continuing the theme. I also have all her pets named after plants that are related to Nisghtshade, So her Fern Hound is named “Mandrake”, Black Moa named “Henbane” and Ice Drake named “Aubergine”
Kappow – Asuran Necromancer from Beta who I kept. Name taken from a sound effect.
Sera dër Skulhund – Norn Warrior. A meta character who played a lot of Skyrim and Puzzle Pirates. She is also based a little on my BFF.
Mala Searsoul – Charr Guardian that was mostly messing with sliders and selected class based on what she looked like when I was done.
Serphyre – Sylvari Elementalist that I created to represent Summer. Named after a character I doddled years ago.
Capn Toji – Human Thief named after another character I frequently drag into places they don’t belong. Prefers to be referred to as an “Artisan Merchant” because only wicked people are pirates…
Gerzilla – Asuran Engineer that may or may not get a name change. Named after a small dragon character that was a bit of a mad scientist himself.
Natsume Akino – Human Guardian(Dragonhunter) formerly Elementalist. Totally inappropriately named character that I made to RP with my husband’s Ninja thief girl.
Iris Hearn – Another Human Msemer to pick up Chronomancy. Based loosely on Yukari Yakumo from Touhou Project.
Frondel – My pretty Sylvari Warrior made with Spring in mind. He was practically made with the Daydreamer’s outfit in mind. Name totally made up while thinking of a frond and adding a masculine ending to it. Happy I got it.
Grimmhoar – A Sylvari Necromancer with Winter, the Reaper and Thranduil from TLotR in mind. Named is a combination of “Grim” (Dark and Mirthless) and “Hoar” (grey, frost-like), and sounds like “Grimoire” (book of spells).
Keyblah Kan – Human Guardian I use for Key Farming. Obvious play on Kubla Khan.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

(edited by Sankofa Jimiyu.1567)

Posted by: Sketch.3658

Sketch.3658

I try to use inspirations but also adhere to racial naming conventions where possible. I take my inspirations from cartoons, anime, tv shows, books, games and mythology

Gir Dhuumsinger – Charr Necro inspired by Gir from Invader Zim
Inhumer Zimm – Asura Necro inspired by Invader Zim and Ankh Morporks inhuming services.
Mako Tyrell – Human Ele inspired by FFVII and Game of Thrones.
Gunnar Tyrson – Norn Ranger inspired by Tyr Anasazi of the Kodiak tribe out of Victoria by Barbarossa from Andromeda and Gunnar, King of the Giukungs from Norse Mythology
Crixus Fullmetal – Charr Engie inspired by Crixus from Spartacus and Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist.
Mystique Darkhölme – Sylvari Mesmer inspired by Raven Darkhölme aka Mystique (not using correct naming culture – character for a Heros vs Villians night we are having)
Medium Small – Asura Revenant (Holding name in advance) inspired by the TV Show Medium, the surname Small and the obvious play on words. Hilariously, at last to me, it still fits Asura naming cultural rules perfectly.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Medium Small – Asura Revenant (Holding name in advance) inspired by the TV Show Medium, the surname Small and the obvious play on words. Hilariously, at last to me, it still fits Asura naming cultural rules perfectly.

If that character ever escapes from a jail, then he is a small medium at large.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Fjaeldmark.9043

Fjaeldmark.9043

Most of my character’s names are just ones I recycled from WoW and added a last name. A few of them have a bit of thought behind them though.

First off, my engineer, Kerid Craterclaw. Kerid originally came from WoW’s random name generator. When I googled it (you would not believe some of the stuff I’ve found checking randomised names) I found out it was the name of a volcanic crater in Iceland. I found this amusing for a mage so I kept it. When I made the Guild Wars Kerid I decided to add a last name. I’d been playing MTG at the time and had recently gotten Crater’s Claws. So I fused Kerid Crater and Crater’s Claws into Kerid Craterclaw.

The second one is my Guardian, Ferrus Jawbreaker. Since my screen name often gets shortened to Fj I decided to create a character with those initials. Ferrus comes from ferrous which means containing iron which seemed to fit for an Iron Legion Charr. I struggled with a J name until I remembered a line from the sorcerous shaman story path “I’ve broken several jaws reminding people I am not responsible for my father’s actions.”. Jawbreaker seemed to fit well so Ferrus Jawbreaker it was.

Posted by: Headcase.4618

Headcase.4618

Here are my names

Norn Guardian (male) Sven Delacroix*:
First name: One of the few nordic names I knew of at the time.
Last name: Got it from the short story “The Lottery”. French for “Of The Cross.”

Human/Canthan Mesmer (female) Chihaya Horikita
First name: From Chihaya Kisaragi, a character from a Japanese idol raising video game, “The Idolm@ster.”
Last name: From Japanese actress, Maki Horikita

Sylvari Ranger (male) Daoir: Went by two different names before settling for this one. Name means “Strong Oak” IIRC.

Charr Engineer (male) Sagat Bronzefang
First name: From the Street Fighter character of the same name
Last name: More or less the first thing I came up with. Rolls off the tongue IMO.

Norn Warrior (female) Astrid Leifsdotter
First name: From Astrid of the “How to Train Your Dragon” movies
Last name: From Leif Ericson and the nordic word for “Daughter”

Human/Canthan Thief (female) Ibuki Toda
First name: From the Street Fighter character of the same name
Last name: From Japanese voice actress, Megumi Toda

Sylvari Elementalist (female) Erynnah: This one was incredibly difficult to name cuz just about all the names (and variations of them) I wanted were taken. I was only able to claim this name after adding an “H” at the end.

*Fun fact: when I used this last name on my GW1 toon virtually everyone I talked to assumed I was french.

(edited by Headcase.4618)

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

On inspirations, I generally refuse to “steal” things from established intellectual properties. It’s always felt lazy or fanboy/girlish to me. I prefer lore-appropriate names, but often times I can’t help but pun. So, I might as well start off with the list of sins. >_>

My main, Spaiten Malus, is born of the sheer joy I had when I played the beta, and hammer warrior was hilarious to me. He’s since gotten head-canon. Actual name: Spaiten Maluscrack, Malus warband, Blood Legion, so named for breaking his hammer over his former legionnaire’s head.

Irene Sheph, Asura engineer. I intended for her to be my cook/jeweler, but she’s a cutesy lady in pink and bows (and now a Chef Outfit :P), so Iron Sheph would have been uncute. Now she runs around flambe’ing things with a flamethrower.

Venus Nightshade, Sylvari necromancer and all-around try-hard. I balk at deepdarkemo names, so using her as a poe during her leveling experience amused me greatly. Tackiest, brightest Easter pastels on a Wintersday Outfit? Yup. Danced the mess out of waiting for Boar to spawn.

And then there’s, Fhorrz, my Asura guardian. Specializing in symbols and consecrations, he lays protective fields for his allies and thwarts his foes. He refers to them as Fhorrz’s Fields.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

(edited by Rauderi.8706)

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I tried to stay as true to Guild Wars lore and naming conventions as possible.

Keirlann Aurion - I started playing Guild Wars in the year of its release, 2005, which was not long after the release of Tales of Symphonia on the GameCube. Kratos was my favorite character, so I ganked his last name to use on Soja Aurion, my Ranger in that game. Keirlann is his descendant, and also takes his first name from one I cobbled together from Anglo-Saxon elements for a Ranger in a Pathfinder game I had back in 2009.

Interesting, my first character in Guild Wars 1 is named Aurion Ulster.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

Back when I started playing DAoC and was trying to find my main toon while still learning what an MMORPG was, there was a joke about how the Minstrel class needed a Xylophone as an instrument choice so when I decided to try one out I named her Xylla and used Phone her last name at first. Xylla quickly became my favorite toon and since she was musically inclined and in DAoC you could change your last name whenever you wanted, I started using a new favored song title as her last name each week since the Phone joke got lame very quickly.

After that I tried a lot of other Xyl names often times in combination with different song titles. Xyliah Pariah came when I started playing Guild Wars 1 at launch and my first toon was a monk, the image of Mhenlo on the box reminded me of the artwork on a Magic: the Gathering card called Pariah and there was a lot of talk early on about GW1 being similar to MtG so I thought it was fitting.

PariahX [PiXi] became my solo guild in GW1 when I was between having others to play with so I brought that with me to GW2 along with a lot of other GW1 names I used which still included a bunch of favorite song titles from my disposable PvP toons. And so the trend continues in GW2 with new favorite songs finding fitting race, looks & play-style combos and there is way too many of them to fit into a signature

Hubby on the other hand is so super creative that he just looks around the room when naming his toons to find a few random words to throw together or uses some obscure work abbreviation. /sigh

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

Just going to list my main ranger for now lol.
Jadis Narnia- My sylvari ranger named after my main warrior from way back in Gw1. I originally had no idea what to name her and I was also reading the Narnia book at the time. Soo I went and took the icy queens first name and of course the land itself for the second part. Been using it ever since prophecies.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

Posted by: zoejo.2317

zoejo.2317

OMGtotesGuardsies. my Guardian.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Made a few humans, since those names would be easy. 3/4 are original!

Jace Galenbrook, elementalist. I originally had him as Sekai Suiton to symbolize mastery of the world’s elements (Arcana) with a focus on water and healing. It was way too weeaboo, so I changed it to something less “Cantha” and more appropriate to Tyrian humans. Jace is a name I’m fond of, and it so happens to mean ‘healer,’ so it works. Galenbrook as a family name is suitable for a noble man of calm demeanor.

Scarlet the Tease, mesmer. Made way before some other dirty birch ruined the name, Scarlet took the street-rat/circus story paths. Her street name implies her being intentionally provocative, and of course, her mesmer profession makes her a ‘tease.’

Benedict Hale, guardian. Something of a self-insert character from one I played in a LARP many years ago. Another healer, go figure. At the LARP, everyone called me Ben, short for Benedict, short for Benediction, as in “to give,” and “Hale” meaning health. I just wish I had a giant wolf club to bean people with when I was larping. Hm.

Phil Amon, mesmer. Why make two mesmers? One for more serious work (and boy does Scarlet put her kitten to work), and one for summoning phantasms. The name, obviously based Greek myth.

But bonus points for putting the clues together!

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: PistolWhip.2697

PistolWhip.2697

Shanks Sinatra – my human thief who was my first ever character was inspired by a GW1 Assassin I made as they were commonly nicknamed/coined as ‘Sins’ in that game, and the theme of daggers were prevalent in their skills so the thank Shanks Sinatra was born, and that name carried over to my thief.

De Baros – my Human warrior that was my main a while back, was based on myself. My family is from another country from the Eurasian/Middle eastern region and my name has kurdish/turkish undertones and in all my full name translates loosely in some texts to Brave Noble Warrior. Much like how adding ‘y’ to the end of a name in the west makes it a affectionate monicker (Thomas to Tommy, etc) where my family is from adding Os (pronounced “Osh”) is the same, and thus my middle name Baros is a mainstay for people to call me within my family. As such, I added De which is latin for “of” and I planned to be a commander at the time. This would of made me Commander of Noble Warriors.

De Geist – A human mesmer. Same theme as before in terms of “Of” in latin, Geist being the German word for spirit or ghost, and in some contexts the mind. So ‘Of the Mind’ seemed fitting.

Chucklebyte – An asura warrior I made mostly for laughs. Soon I had a lot of fun on it. His name is actually a measurement in a series of measurements I made to calculate how much laughter a joke produced. It was meant to be a novelty for the guild I was in at the time and it went:

A Gigglehert

Gigglewatt = 2 Gigglehertz

Chucklehert = 5 Gigglehertz

Chucklebyte = 10 Gigglehertz

Milichortle = 100 Gigglehertz

Guffton – 1000 Gigglehertz

ExDecimal – 100,000 Gigglehertz

LOLetric Laughing Mass – 1,000,000 Gigglehertz

Chucklehertz – My current main Charr Engineer based on the same system, as Chuckles or Chuckli has become a recent nickname by some in the PvP community I hang out with.

Djinnatra – My old Ele main, a Sylvari. His name was based on the fact that I wanted to make a Djinn (Arabic for Demon/Gw1 Lore) style Sylvari of elemental disposition whil keeping with the Sinatra theme. And thus he was born.

Tryhearne – A random pvp ranger I made parodying my distaste for ranger longbowers at the time and Trahearne combined.

Lol I tend to have such weird inspirations for names.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

Posted by: Wizler.8192

Wizler.8192

I made a Sylvari necro called Joy and Sorrow. I really like the RP of this toon; she’s a syvlari, born from the pale tree (of life), and a practitioner of death. I think the character and the name represents the circle of life and death. She’s only like 22, not a character I play often, but I’m fond of her.

A name that I REALLY wanted but was taken was “Kvothe the Raven” (pronounced Quoth the Raven, like the poem by Poe). Also named from the book by Patrick Rothfuss. A norn character who can shapeshift into a raven… wow, I really liked the theme of this toon!

Actually, I don’t RP but I do generally have some sense of backstory/identity for each character.

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

Chasind, my account name- is from the Dragon Age series. Chasind are basically tribesppl whom you didn’t mess with. I also have a warrior of that name.

My main though, Sorceress Rinoa- for obvious reasons I love FF8 & the main female protagonist Rinoa Heartilly who later becomes a sorceress.

My ranger- Faemiriel, an elven/lotro name

Guardian, Sif Steelwolf

Engineer, Eliza Bennett – inspired after the main protagonist in pride & prejudice, elizabeth bennet

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

@ Azure.8670

Did you ever consider the name “Top Tyr”?