Instanced Content Initiative

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Let’s see if we can come up with something fun and engaging for end-gamers to do besides these massive, mindless, zergy LS events. If you love PvE, dungeons, guild missions, and/or the idea of raiding, this thread is for you. This is to discuss the future of such content.

First off, let me make one thing perfectly clear. Raiding in GW2 does not have to be like raiding in WoW or other games. Please cast aside all preconceptions of “elitism” and keep an open mind.

After hearing from Allie Murdock in the Ready-Up on the process devs use to gather our feedback, I shall try to condense my own ideas into bullet points. If you have ideas, please do the same.

Commander system: Overhaul
- Allow commanders to have more control over squad organization.
- Allow them to invite people and kick AFKers from the squad, and thus the raid instance (if applicable).
- Allow them to make a “raid call” or announcement pop up message to all squad members. Useful for ready-checking.
- Allow commanders to place physical markers on the ground to indicate places where people should stand, or run to, or stay away from during a fight.
- Create a “Squad Finder” system in the LFG tool (idea by Thereon)

Dungeons: Hard Mode
- A new mode for all dungeon paths where everything is set to level 80.
- All enemies are much harder, possibly some having new mechanics to contend with.
- Rare chance of better loot, and rare chance of ascended crafting mats as random drops.
- Daily Hard Mode chest with rare items and a chance of ascended gear.
- Overall difficulty of Hard Mode should be on par with high level Fractals.
- Bring back the sense of challenge that existed in dungeons during Beta.

Guild Mission: Small Raid
- New type of instance allowing up to 10 people to enter.
- Similar to a dungeon, but with enemies designed to account for 10 players.
- Special bosses with unique mechanics (not tank and spank).
- Rare chance at ascended crafting mats as random drops.
- Weekly chest reward with guild commendations and a chance of ascended gear.
- Weekly chance at rare unique skins.
- Boss drops have chance of very rare miniature
- Small guild Merit reward.
- Special achievements and titles.
- Give something for guilds larger than 3 members to do something together besides dungeons, spvp, or mindless zerg-following.
- Add a little more “end game” to GW2 PvE.

Guild Mission: Large Raid
- Similar to small raid, but designed for 30 players.
- Has it’s own weekly reward chest, but the chest contains the same types of loot as small raid (rare items, commendations, chance for ascended gear, etc). So you can do a small raid, get the reward, then do a large raid and get that reward as well, each week.
- Large guild Merit rewards.
- Give something for guilds larger than 20 members to do something together besides bounties, treks, or mindless zerg-following.

Guild Mission: Epic Raid
- Same as above, but this time designed for 60 players.
- Very Large guild Merit rewards.
- Give something for guilds larger than 50 members to do something together besides puzzles, bounties, treks, or mindless zerg-following.

Ad hoc Raids
- A type of raid that is effectively the same as a dungeon, but designed for 10-20 players
- Must be opened by a commander with a squad
- Same weekly reward chest as above, minus the guild commendations (perhaps a different reward instead)
- Meant for people who want to raid but can’t or don’t want to do a guild raid.
- Unique achievements and titles

Raids: Requirements
- SAME AS EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE GAME
- If you didn’t know, you can get a full set of exotics for nothing but KARMA at the Orr Temples. Assuming you haven’t spent all of your karma on Lemons from level 1 to 80, you should have more than enough.
- You don’t need ascended gear or agony resist.
- You don’t need 4,058,714,368,173,456 achievement points, unless your guild asks you to; in which case you might consider finding a different guild.
- Raids should be accessible to anyone who is experienced with the game and playing their class well.

Please post your ideas if you have any, or feel free to discuss ones that are already posted. Keep it constructive and concise so that the devs may have an easier time absorbing it.

(edited by Xenon.4537)

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Considering that the reward chests in large dynamic events like Tequatl resulted in people complaining about how crappy they were, I don’t think it would work that well.

And I don’t really see how you could balance it out. On one hand, you would need the rewards to be good (because nowadays people don’t do anything unless they get kittening rewards for it), on the other you cannot make them be too good or you’ll end up with guilds being just about a requirement to play, which is bad.

Xenon.4537

Considering that the reward chests in large dynamic events like Tequatl resulted in people complaining about how crappy they were, I don’t think it would work that well.

And I don’t really see how you could balance it out. On one hand, you would need the rewards to be good (because nowadays people don’t do anything unless they get kittening rewards for it), on the other you cannot make them be too good or you’ll end up with guilds being just about a requirement to play, which is bad.

From what I’ve heard, and this is pretty anecdotal but still, the rewards for Tequatl and Wurms is something like 2% of the participants getting an ascended item or some such great reward, which seems fine considering that those fights involve CAPPED maps of ~150 people and can be repeated every couple hours.

What I’m suggesting is a weekly chest, in line with the weekly guild commendation rewards of existing guild activities. This would allow for better drop rates and certain loot being guaranteed, such as a rare item, some gold, commendations, etc. The ascended gear drop chance would be something akin to Fractals daily chests which have a chance to give you rings and Fractal skins.

Guilds requiring weekly raid participation would undoubtedly come into existence, but no one is forcing you to be in one of those epic hardcore raid guilds. There’s a whole spectrum of guilds out there. Find the one that suits you.

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

I just want instanced content period, and maybe an “inspect” command. I just want to keep the bads and the special snowflakes out because they tend to muck up stuff like world events while refusing to listen because they’re “playing how they want”.

Posted by: Thereon.3495

Thereon.3495

Im all for GW2 style raids and have written in many threads concerning the subject, THIS being my latest one.

I personally would not tie GW2 raids to the guild mission system currently in place. There are many that prefer not to be in a guild. Not allowing them access would be harsh in the extreme. Instead just allow Squads within the game to be chosen. Im talking open world PvE, WvW, EotM and raids….allow commanders to be able to invite players to a squad. Add a squad-finder to the LFG tool, allow commanders to kick squad members (afk’ers etc) and voila! Youve got a way to fill up a squad with randoms. This is GW2… its not like it matters whether the 40th man/woman is a Mesmer or a Warrior!

Additions like a scoreboard (showing total time and things like NPCs saved, areas captured etc) for both the server and regions would enable some competition. Players would be willing to enter multiple times per week just for the competition, regardless of whether there was a limit to rewards (which IMO there should be). Do the same with Hard Mode dungeons!

The main opposition for raid content in GW2 is the thought that hiding content behind a wall would mean that content wasnt available to everyone but that simply isnt the case. Do we say that dungeons are unfair because theyre instanced and only allow five people inside? What if I wanted to solo the dungeon and complete it? Is it unfair that I cannot? No. Instanced content is a great way to tell a very controlled and epic story and its what GW2 needs in order to progress. Open world bosses are great and all but for someone that doesnt want to spend two hours saving my space in a map by running into a wall only to have a few idiots ruin the fight for everyone…..theyre not ideal!

Thereon Avenrise – former [Noes] Officer – Piken Square (EU)
Retired and living in a shack. Relaxing!

Xenon.4537

I just want instanced content period, and maybe an “inspect” command. I just want to keep the bads and the special snowflakes out because they tend to muck up stuff like world events while refusing to listen because they’re “playing how they want”.

I know exactly where you are coming from, but I fear most people will take your statement as proof of “elitism.” I want to strike a balance where people like you can have the control you need to play with more hardcore types of people, while still allowing the content to be accessible.

That is why raids in GW2 shouldn’t require more than exotics, and new players should be made more aware of the multitude of ways they can get exotic gear. I also think it would put people in a more cooperative mindset if these raids were guild-related. People are conditioned to cooperate with their guild more easily, and they are more inclined to go ahead and respec their build if asked to by a guildie. It is generally seen as one family member helping another, rather than a stranger trying to boss you around.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Yeah .. give us gearcheck. Everything that has not zerker stats gives zero or even negative points.

Power, precision, feriocity: +1
Thoughness, vitality : zero ..
healing power, condition damage -1 point for that crap.

Then there should also be points for the “correct” runes and sigills. I use for example Traveller Runes … what the heck … -500 for that .. thats soo much damage loss, could cost 1/4 seconds in a run.

And also for the “correct” build. The best players tell ANet what the best build is, and then only that gives point, and maybe ANet can change the game and simply remove all other builds at all.

And yes .. that was sarcasm.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: OldSomalia.6180

OldSomalia.6180

Too much work without enough gem shop revenue — these are pipe dreams!

Posted by: Eyeballz.4917

Eyeballz.4917

Too much work without enough gem shop revenue — these are pipe dreams!

I hate to do this but he is right.

The biggest problem this game has, is the huge amount of players that dont give a kitten about the game they play. People that only play PvP, like to grind or generally have no Problem with buying all the end-game-content in the gemstore. I like your suggestions and would like Anet to realize them but I dont think this will happen because of one simple thing: It’s too kitten ovious!

Cmon! If I make a list of all the features of the game and give it to someone who has never played GW2, even that person would immediatly ask for some of the features ppl like you and me are asking since release.

One of the more likely conclusions is, that Anet has at least a small money problem and thus the decision-making-process is highly profit-motivated.

So if we get that silent mass somehow involved, we could pressure Anet a little bit to a point where they change their attitude towards the community or at least have to be honest about their intensions and finacial situation.

Dark Catalyst.1028

I know exactly where you are coming from, but I fear most people will take your statement as proof of “elitism.” I want to strike a balance where people like you can have the control you need to play with more hardcore types of people, while still allowing the content to be accessible.

That is why raids in GW2 shouldn’t require more than exotics, and new players should be made more aware of the multitude of ways they can get exotic gear. I also think it would put people in a more cooperative mindset if these raids were guild-related. People are conditioned to cooperate with their guild more easily, and they are more inclined to go ahead and respec their build if asked to by a guildie. It is generally seen as one family member helping another, rather than a stranger trying to boss you around.

And those people can be safely ignored. There is nothing elitist about wanting to complete content quickly and competently with a group who believes in the concept of teamwork.

I just want the chance to “play how I want”.

Dark Catalyst.1028

Yeah .. give us gearcheck. Everything that has not zerker stats gives zero or even negative points.

Power, precision, feriocity: +1
Thoughness, vitality : zero ..
healing power, condition damage -1 point for that crap.

Then there should also be points for the “correct” runes and sigills. I use for example Traveller Runes … what the heck … -500 for that .. thats soo much damage loss, could cost 1/4 seconds in a run.

And also for the “correct” build. The best players tell ANet what the best build is, and then only that gives point, and maybe ANet can change the game and simply remove all other builds at all.

And yes .. that was sarcasm.

Don’t complain to me. Maybe you should tell ANet to fix their game so that there is more than a small handful of builds for each profession and more than one useful gear set.