Instead of complaining about the nerfed farm

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

Let’s just try and work out what next best alternative is. Indigo doesn’t have chests so it’s down to either blue or red. Maybe even a blue – yellow – red chain if amber isn’t completely nerfed into the ground.
The good thing about amber was that everybody immediatly knew how it worked so i think for the sake of efficiency it’s good to determine an ‘optimal’ route as soon as possible. Anyone here with some experience on the new map who could help out?

Aside from that, yes the amber farm was too lucrative for the time it took and we should have seen it coming, though I have to admit, I never farm in this game, ever, but this time it was actually fun and relaxing. People were always nice and it felt rewarding – something not many activities in GW2 achieve.
I enjoyed it while it lasted.

(<—Part of the problem and proud ’till the end)

Attachments:

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Or, you know, you could actually try playing this (quite profitable) map properly and contributing to its success rather than attempting to ruin it again.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Red doesn’t have many around it that I’ve found. A handful at best. The best option may be to simply rotate around the map. Perhaps someone would be nice enough to grab an image of the map and start laying out roughly where chests spawn, since they seem relatively static. At which point we could determine the best route to farm.

Or, you know, you could actually try playing this (quite profitable) map properly and contributing to its success rather than attempting to ruin it again.

Some of us were playing the map. I was on several where they defended all 4 forts, got defense up to level 4, and still farmed the kitten chests. But that obviously wasn’t “ok” with people.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Dasenthal.6520

Dasenthal.6520

Ha, Ha, Ha… Actually play the game what is this nonsense…

Jk, I agree entirely.

“A conquered people will always resist you,
Edair. But allies-allies will fight by your side”~Cobiah Mariner

Crovax.7854

The best way to playing the objectives while still maintaining a reasonable chestfarm is exactly what I’m trying to determine

(edited by Crovax.7854)

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Maybe Cursed Shore or something.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Duke Blackrose.4981

Some of us were playing the map. I was on several where they defended all 4 forts, got defense up to level 4, and still farmed the kitten chests. But that obviously wasn’t “ok” with people.

You were the outlier that wasn’t the target here. Your reply sounds more like a victim mentality than anything.

Fact of the matter is that most chest farmers weren’t helping. They stayed at Amber -scaling it up, while the rest of the map was defended and upgraded by an all-too-scarce group of players. That’s what this quick fix targeted and that’s what I’d hope would be avoided in the future of this map.

Crovax.7854

Red doesn’t have many around it that I’ve found. A handful at best. The best option may be to simply rotate around the map. Perhaps someone would be nice enough to grab an image of the map and start laying out roughly where chests spawn, since they seem relatively static. At which point we could determine the best route to farm.

According to this red and blue both have 6 chests in their immediate vicinity plus 2 extra in reasonable walking distance. A guess that means amber will maintain 6 chests plus the 2 up north near the entrance to the closed off section.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

You were the outlier that wasn’t the target here. Your reply sounds more like a victim mentality than anything.

Fact of the matter is that most chest farmers weren’t helping. They stayed at Amber -scaling it up, while the rest of the map was defended and upgraded by an all-too-scarce group of players. That’s what this quick fix targeted and that’s what I’d hope would be avoided in the future of this map.

Unfortunately the result will simply be killing the map, rather than forcing people to spread out. Had they simply spread the chests out so there were more at the other forts, I think they would have gotten a better result. Now, a lot of people will simply go back to whatever their chosen farming mode was previously, which doesn’t help the under populated defense events at all.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: landhere.8576

landhere.8576

Anet’s cashflow is spawning too fast and too numerously. Better nerf it by not buying gems.

Crovax.7854

Anet’s cashflow is spawning too fast and too numerously. Better nerf it by not buying gems.

Nah the nerf was justified and maybe if we find a good route we can still have a good farm while doing all of the 4 forts. (Well maybe not indigo – f those two bosses).
If the nerf helps spread out players to create a more fun experience for everyone while only affecting the farm to a minor degree (which I hope it will if we find a good alternative) it’s a win-win for both groups.

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

How did they not see this coming when they programmed a disparity between locations? I mean the wisest thing to do would be to make sure each location provided the same rewards and make the chest spawns dependent upon successful defense or completion of repairs.
Or maybe I’m just thinking far too much. I shall go and play like a good NPE player and drool a bit as I watch the pretty colors. /sarcasm
I will find a way to collect my own mats in this game. I will find a use for my weapons and with my own sweat and pixelated blood, I will persevere.

Edit: Oh and I hope you do find a good route that will both benefit the farmers and the successful completion of events.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

(edited by Infernia.9847)

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

How did they not see this coming when they programmed a disparity between locations? I mean the wisest thing to do would be to make sure each location provided the same rewards and make the chest spawns dependent upon successful defense or completion of repairs.

Exactly…

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Niteraven.1372

Niteraven.1372

^ This

“When I was your age, progeny, we used 20 sided dice.. and we LIKED it!!!” ~~ Berddi

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

^ This

+1

If done correctly, the entire Pact Assault takes less time. If everyone took the time to learn the boss encounters, all 5 of them will be downed in 5 minutes (I’ve seen them individually go down in less than 5 minutes going to each of the bosses during different Breach events, I know it’s possible). And contrary to popular belief, you actually do get a fair amount of loot for doing the meta events properly.

I’m willing to bet the current meta events is a part of a longer chain; we’ve only begun to see what will happen in the latter half/portion of Season 2, and it’s likely to play a role in Season 3 as well.

Posted by: wwwes.1398

wwwes.1398

Unfortunately the result will simply be killing the map, rather than forcing people to spread out. Had they simply spread the chests out so there were more at the other forts, I think they would have gotten a better result. Now, a lot of people will simply go back to whatever their chosen farming mode was previously, which doesn’t help the under populated defense events at all.

Well…. megaservers. The map survived before when people weren’t mindlessly farming, I’m sure it will survive after, the difference is that people there will be actually doing stuff. As stated above, this remains one of the more profitable maps in the game that imo doesn’t even really feel like farming.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Maybe a little longer than 5 minutes between each meta event would have been a good idea, a lull for people to farm chests and gather before the next battle…

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

Has noone else noticed the crests from chests nerfed heavily or something?

Posted by: Kasima.8143

Kasima.8143

The map is only more profitable than the FG train when you open chests, genius. So yes, we need to find what the best way is to do chest trains.

Posted by: Valor Singus.7049

Valor Singus.7049

My suggest would be to run clockwise from red – amber – blue – indigo, then reverse once you get to indigo. There might be a handful of chests north of the base camp, but that long stretch it takes up in the corner doesn’t have any I’m aware of. You pretty much just need to follow the supply dolyaks, and I wouldn’t be surprised if their pace just about matches the respawn on the chests.

Rashy.4165

The map is only more profitable than the FG train when you open chests, genius. So yes, we need to find what the best way is to do chest trains.

Your reading comprehension could use a little work. Nowhere in that post does it mention that doing the meta events the way it was intended is MORE profitable than any existing farming methods. It states a fact: doing the meta events DOES make money. Just not as much as the loot-crazed maniacs want.

Kasima.8143

Your reading comprehension could use a little work. Nowhere in that post does it mention that doing the meta events the way it was intended is MORE profitable than any existing farming methods. It states a fact: doing the meta events DOES make money. Just not as much as the loot-crazed maniacs want.

I’m sorry if the thread is so unclear to you that the point I am making doesn’t make sense to you and appears to come out of nowhere.

OP is talking about finding a way to make this as profitable as possible. So we’re talking about getting as much loot as we can from this map, which is achieved through opening chests. So we’re talking about getting as much loot as we can from chests. Then Duke comes in and makes a doubly irrelevant comment about how we should just play the map as intended.
Does the OP’s post say “Please explain to me how to run this map as intended”? No it does not. The OP’s post is about figuring out a system to farm as many chests as possible in the smallest amount of time. Duke’s comment is completely irrelevant for this reason and the second reason is that from a farming standpoint, SW without opening large amounts of chests yields less loot than the FGS train (which is the point I was making). Doubly irrelevant.

My understanding is that with Dry Top and the Silverwastes, Anet is trying to herd farmers to events and locations that are meant to be farmed, to move them away from events that aren’t meant to be farmed, to eliminate the toxicity they got so many complains about. So making SW a better farm than FGS is very relevant and should in theory make everyone happier. Unfortunately, in practice, there will always be people who couldn’t use the LFG to save their life (i.e. find a map that’s run the way they want) to complain. Like Duke who probably thinks that all single Silverwaste map, including the ones he isn’t on, should be run the way HE wants to.

(edited by Kasima.8143)

Rashy.4165

Your understanding is incorrect. I highly doubt ArenaNet intended for Chests to be farmed to oblivion, hence the patch. Players took what was in the game and turned it into a mindless grind for loot.

While there were organized maps advertised in LFG (and I actually did jump ship the moment I saw a large concentration of commander tags at Amber), the proportion of organized maps to chest farming maps (excluding LF legendary boss parties) was very low. Before chest farming became a thing, every map was making a decent attempt at organization, calling out fortresses that needed help defending, etc, while other maps were far more organized with commander tags.

Chest farming did have a higher impact than you claim – it reduced the number of organized maps as people assumed that chest farming was the only worthwhile thing to do.

The respawn timer was far too short to be intentional.

Frankly, it baffles me that players subject themselves to mindless farming over engaging content, just over extra loot.

Kasima.8143

Your understanding is incorrect. I highly doubt ArenaNet intended for Chests to be farmed to oblivion, hence the patch.

Now, whose reading comprehension needs work?

Posted by: Gimp.9460

Gimp.9460

5 clicks. 5 clicks is what it takes to open the LFG tool, join a party and taxi to a map that is being played properly.

The joke is on you.

Too confusing, need NPE version pls

Particle effect slider would be ‘too confusing’

Rashy.4165

Your understanding is incorrect. I highly doubt ArenaNet intended for Chests to be farmed to oblivion, hence the patch.

This entire topic is predicated on the assumption that ArenaNet intended Chest farming to be the ONLY thing going on in the Silverwastes. The four fortresses are just display pieces to be admired and no more.

That assumption is incorrect. This thread should not exist. Actually do the content instead of finding more ways to subject yourselves to mindless grind (and I highly doubt any of you are actually having FUN while doing so, you’re simply equating the gold/hour to fun).

My reading comprehension is fine. Maybe you should actually appreciate the effort ArenaNet put into designing the map and doing the events as intended, instead of falsely claiming that chest farming was the intended purpose of the map.

The far more logical intention of the map:
Capture and defend all fortresses until the Breach.
Open chests during down-time when no events are going on at ALL fortresses.

People broke both by staying only at Amber and ignoring all fortresses.

(edited by Rashy.4165)

Posted by: yorick.1305

yorick.1305

According to this red and blue both have 6 chests in their immediate vicinity plus 2 extra in reasonable walking distance. A guess that means amber will maintain 6 chests plus the 2 up north near the entrance to the closed off section.

So these have to be dug up by players? As I haven’t seen any that just spawn random, like cactus etc. or is the former ‘extra’, I don’t know.

Crovax.7854

So these have to be dug up by players? As I haven’t seen any that just spawn random, like cactus etc. or is the former ‘extra’, I don’t know.

All the chests have to be dug up by players. I just had a map with 4 commanders that succesfully killed the 5 bosses twice, plus I opened an acceptable amount of chests myself.

What I did was running in circles red-purple-yellow-blue and tag all defense events as well as vet events that spawned on the way and dolyaks to gain a rather good amount of shovels. If a group of, say, 10-20 players consistently tagged all 4 defense events plus others they could get a lot more shovels than just from amber and just dig up all chests on their route.

Posted by: Silvia.9130

Silvia.9130

Quite profitable? X’DDDD Now seriously, if you think the nerf will magically bring all of the people who were farming chests to tag up, split and do those so unrewarding boring and almost more repetitive than mindlessly run around to open chests, you have no idea of how things work. all that the nerf is going to do is to move all those people away from the map, unless new farms will pop up at some point. And I didn’t manage to get my achievements done yet, and barely spent any time farming chests so…

>>Lady Carlie Castle<
>>=<

Posted by: landhere.8576

landhere.8576

Play it “properly”? Get off your high horse. The way you play it is not any more “proper” than the way anyone else chooses to play it. How was the map ruined? Now there’s no one defending amber. Let’s all go gawk at amber covered in vines.

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

Frankly, it baffles me that players subject themselves to mindless farming over engaging content, just over extra loot.

Perhaps they don’t find SW to be engaging content? It was cool and neat at first (calling air support never got old), but after a little while I realised it’s literally the same thing over and over and over. Claim keep, defend, turn in rubble, defend, maybe turn in rubble, defend… etc, etc. Personally, it got a bit boring for me. Nothing wrong with that, different tastes and all. Which would explain precisely why some people like farming and others enjoy running the events in SW. What’s engaging to you may not be for someone else. People are different. It’s really not that hard to understand.

Crovax.7854

Well guys, I just played from around 5-9pm and had a close look at taxis and maps themselves.

Result: Literally (yes I know what that word means and I stand by it) no taxis to organized SW maps for most of the time – funnily enough I saw 2 taxis to Dry Top over the course of those 4 hours. LFG entries consisted of around 90% ‘lfg taxi for -insert legendary-’
Primetime EU and there were probabaly 1-2 map tops that did the defense with more than 0-1 commander. 1 Taxi I took had 1 commander, another had 2 but after the following breach it fell apart and people just left -> 0 commanders again. Despite desperately trying to get on a decent map, everytime I ended on a promising one, it only had no more than 2 commanders and 2/3 forts.
The breach event usually ended with 1 or 2 defeated bosses.

Well, I really dislike the hate people throw at ANet but the map seems as good as dead, at least on the EU side. Of course it’s not dead dead but under no circumstances would I say it’s ‘alive’ or ‘played a lot’.

Posted by: johnnymiller.5968

johnnymiller.5968

Well guys, I just played from around 5-9pm and had a close look at taxis and maps themselves.

Result: Literally (yes I know what that word means and I stand by it) no taxis to organized SW maps for most of the time – funnily enough I saw 2 taxis to Dry Top over the course of those 4 hours. LFG entries consisted of around 90% ‘lfg taxi for -insert legendary-’
Primetime EU and there were probabaly 1-2 map tops that did the defense with more than 0-1 commander. 1 Taxi I took had 1 commander, another had 2 but after the following breach it fell apart and people just left -> 0 commanders again. Despite desperately trying to get on a decent map, everytime I ended on a promising one, it only had no more than 2 commanders and 2/3 forts.

Well, I really dislike the hate people throw at ANet but the map seems as good as dead, at least on the EU side.

Not just on the EU side.

Crovax.7854

Well, I really dislike the hate people throw at ANet but the map seems as good as dead, at least on the EU side.

Not just on the EU side.

Hm that’s good to hear. I really would’ve liked to play it a bit more but as it is now, it’s just not fun with only a handful of people. The thing with SW is that the less people there are, the less profitable and more importantly the less fun it becomes.

edit: Oh wow, I thought you wrote ‘No, just on the EU side.’
Reading is hard, mkay!

(edited by Crovax.7854)

johnnymiller.5968

Not just on the EU side.

Hm that’s good to hear. I really would’ve liked to play it a bit more but as it is now, it’s just not fun with only a handful of people. The thing with SW is that the less people there are, the less profitable and more importantly the less fun it gets.

Agreed & for the ones of us still trying to finish the achievements it sucks.

Duke Blackrose.4981

Play it “properly”? Get off your high horse. The way you play it is not any more “proper” than the way anyone else chooses to play it. How was the map ruined? Now there’s no one defending amber. Let’s all go gawk at amber covered in vines.

Umm, no. There is a proper way to play the map. Here’s a hint – it’s the way that furthers the server’s chances of success at the map mechanics as designed. That’s not “being on my high horse,” it’s not elitism, and it’s not subjective. It’s is by design the proper way to play the map.

Let’s give a complete hypothetical. A bug occurs in Straits of Devastation which causes Risen to rapidly flood into Rally Waypoint in unprecedented numbers, but only while the mission to escort soldiers to the Altar of Balthazar (one of the most frequently failed and important events in the game) is going on. Naturally, this is seen as a huge profit opportunity, and the farmers jump on it. Suddenly, almost every invasion fails because a majority of the map is playing the event improperly. But there isn’t an improper way to play, right? Well, tell that to the understaffed group who just failed the meta event chain.

That’s not terribly different from what happened here. There was a chance for enormous profit – at the cost of hindering the progress of the rest of the server on that map – and, as usual, profit won out over intended gameplay, leaving the map’s mainline events to suffer.

Kasima.8143:

5 clicks. 5 clicks is what it takes to open the LFG tool, join a party and taxi to a map that is being played properly.

Instructions unclear; got Shovel stuck in a Fractal.

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

Let’s just try and work out what next best alternative is. Indigo doesn’t have chests so it’s down to either blue or red. Maybe even a blue – yellow – red chain if amber isn’t completely nerfed into the ground.
The good thing about amber was that everybody immediatly knew how it worked so i think for the sake of efficiency it’s good to determine an ‘optimal’ route as soon as possible. Anyone here with some experience on the new map who could help out?

Aside from that, yes the amber farm was too lucrative for the time it took and we should have seen it coming, though I have to admit, I never farm in this game, ever, but this time it was actually fun and relaxing. People were always nice and it felt rewarding – something not many activities in GW2 achieve.
I enjoyed it while it lasted.

(<—Part of the problem and proud ’till the end)

THIS, with caps… i came to PVE just because i actually enjoyed the map before the nerf.. I hate grinding gold like boring fractals and dungeons. At last i had fun farming chests with so many people… Welll u guys know how this goes. if it’s fun and profitable, it wont last long..:(

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

Not just on the EU side.

Hm that’s good to hear. I really would’ve liked to play it a bit more but as it is now, it’s just not fun with only a handful of people. The thing with SW is that the less people there are, the less profitable and more importantly the less fun it gets.

I tried for three hours to finish 2 achievements. I really didn’t care if I got both or just one. Unfortunately one of them is a rare spawn and the other is Silver/Gold.
There was a small population in the map and it just became tedious fail after fail.

I constantly checked to see if there was a group listing for an organized map.
I’ll come back when the next part of LS is released in hopes of finding a map interested in completing the achievements.
I could see a large guild charging people to run the map for the achievements. I didn’t believe it before, but now, I’m not so sure.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

some people claim there were making 50g per hour. come on surely you can agree thats way too much and is very detrimental to anyone not farming it. Its very unhealthy for the game to have a new farm that’s like 5 times more profitable then any other farm before it. If this was kept permanently no one (including the farmers themselves) would benefit and those who dont farm are penalized even more.

Keep in mind if all farmers suddenly can make 5x as much money as before it doesnt translate in them being able to buy stuff 5x faster, it will translate in everything will get a 5x price increase.

Posted by: Souto.2716

Souto.2716

I feel like farmers in this game are people who miss the purpose gear grinding gave them so they fill that void. Because in all seriousness, objectively, what point is there to farming gold in this game outside of diminishing the value of 1g?

That said, it is based purely on what I’ve read on forums as i have not reached end game to come across. I did however, come across a group that yelled at me to no end when my party didn’t let an event fail that we had started…

As a side note, this is why a lot of mmos lock the best rewards to instanced dungeons. So as not to make farmers/speed runners/ and people enjoying the dungeon cross paths.

Kasima.8143

This entire topic is predicated on the assumption that ArenaNet intended Chest farming to be the ONLY thing going on in the Silverwastes. The four fortresses are just display pieces to be admired and no more.

That assumption is incorrect. This thread should not exist. Actually do the content instead of finding more ways to subject yourselves to mindless grind (and I highly doubt any of you are actually having FUN while doing so, you’re simply equating the gold/hour to fun).

My reading comprehension is fine. Maybe you should actually appreciate the effort ArenaNet put into designing the map and doing the events as intended, instead of falsely claiming that chest farming was the intended purpose of the map.

The far more logical intention of the map:
Capture and defend all fortresses until the Breach.
Open chests during down-time when no events are going on at ALL fortresses.

People broke both by staying only at Amber and ignoring all fortresses.

Yes. With opening chests being the end goal because they give the best loot. Everything else is bonus. My whole point.
So unless we find the most efficient way of doing chest runs to attract farmers, SW is going to keep failing like it is currently.

(edited by Kasima.8143)

johnnymiller.5968

Not just on the EU side.

I tried for three hours to finish 2 achievements. I really didn’t care if I got both or just one. Unfortunately one of them is a rare spawn and the other is Silver/Gold.
There was a small population in the map and it just became tedious fail after fail.

I constantly checked to see if there was a group listing for an organized map.
I’ll come back when the next part of LS is released in hopes of finding a map interested in completing the achievements.
I could see a large guild charging people to run the map for the achievements. I didn’t believe it before, but now, I’m not so sure.

Found groups & commanders running yesterday. Only one left to do now, the executioner. Just missed it yesterday. Here’s hoping……

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

SW was already failing constantly before the Amber nerf. Nothings really changed. The main reason it fails is cause to many players don’t know how to fight the bosses during the breach. We’ve killed platinum with only 5, silver and gold with about 10-15. Get more people educated on the boss fight mechanics and the breaches will succeed more often.

You cans still get a fair amount of chests if you roam the map and help a little bit everywhere.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”