Is Guild Wars 2 Doing Well?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Xia.3485

Xia.3485

I’m not uptight at all. I could care less what the fanboys think. I just speak from the heart.

I wish you’d speak more from the brain. Also, seems you’re more of a fanboy than most, for GW1 anyway.

Also, I don’t log in for dailies, but so you deny people do? Do you deny that until recently, there were tons of people just going from boss to boss to collect gold chests?

I do that too from time to time. I also try to complete my daily every day (I log in about once per two days on average). I also have some fun in SAB then WvW. I’m not going to say “tons” of people mindlessly do only that. I’ll let you pull facts out of thin air and speak for the majority.

I would be willing to bet we agree that isn’t the kind of activity that leads to long term investment in a game.

Oh, that’s right, who needs that! It is buy to play! ANet can’t lose!

Far be it for me to tell others how to play a game or why they should play it. Personally I like mixing and matching things. Some people like to grind, others like progression (collecting gear or advancing points like achievements or ranks). The legendary grind is a good example. Eh, whatever floats their boat, as long as they enjoy whatever they are doing. If they enjoy it, they will return.

I must admit, some nights after a longs day’s work I like grinding and not thinking. Just going off in Orr and killing waves of undead.. its like zombie dynasty warriors.

But I guess you’re way of gaming is more pure and * ideologically* correct or some crap right?

Seriously Xia, you need to stop getting so worked up over what I say. I say it just to watch you get all flustered and put your foot in your mouth. It’s amazing how mad you get. You take the bait every time.

Actually I’m buzzed and half asleep. I told you before, you amuse me. Why would I do something I don’t enjoy in my spare time?

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

Xia, yes Ranger; not playing obviously not.

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

Posted by: Xia.3485

Xia.3485

Xia, yes Ranger; not playing obviously not.

Oh hell.. Yeah, obviously. They need to get on that quickly imho

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I’m not uptight at all. I could care less what the fanboys think. I just speak from the heart.

Also, I don’t log in for dailies, but so you deny people do? Do you deny that until recently, there were tons of people just going from boss to boss to collect gold chests?

I would be willing to bet we agree that isn’t the kind of activity that leads to long term investment in a game.

If you think that’s all people are doing, you obviously haven’t looked at the WvW forums lately

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/wuvwuv

Or the 3 mil + dungeon & fractal groups that have formed on gw2lfg in the last couple months.

http://gw2lfg.com/

Or how ’bout a new forum that fairly exploded with hundreds of thousands of posts in 4 short days since they added the content.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/sab

Or been in game to see the swarms of people in Diessa Plateau and Wayfarer Foothills for the Living Story.

Yes, of course people do dailies and kill World Bosses for rares but it’s very silly to say that’s all people do in the face of all the evidence to the contrary.

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

If you think that’s all people are doing, you obviously haven’t looked at the WvW forums lately

Or the 3 mil + dungeon & fractal groups that have formed on gw2lfg in the last couple months.

Or how ’bout a new forum that fairly exploded with hundreds of thousands of posts in 4 short days since they added the content.

Or been in game to see the swarms of people in Diessa Plateau and Wayfarer Foothills for the Living Story.

Yes, of course people do dailies and kill World Bosses for rares but it’s very silly to say that’s all people do in the face of all the evidence to the contrary.

If you can quote where I said all people are doing that, I would appreciate it. Do you deny that there were overflow servers for nearly every world boss from people farming them?

C’mon now, I’m not making this stuff up. There are LOTS of people that play this game just for the rewards. Those people are going to realize that one day, the game they are playing isn’t fun for them. Not because the game isn’t fun, but because they are too tied up in the rewards to appreciate the game. Some will realize this and stay. Many more will leave. As newer titles are published, I would be willing to bet more leave than stay.

Pretty straight-forward logic.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I got a good one that will get everyone uptight again.

What happens when all the people that just log in for dailies, or boss chests, or CoF runs suddenly realize that the way they are playing the game isn’t fun and decide to quit when another MMO comes out?

Lots of people out there just doing those things…

Sure you’re 100% right. Lots of people are. But how many is lots?

Lots of people are also playing and enjoy the game. Unless you know how many is lots, that’s not really a relevant fact.

In fact just about everyone I know who has a WoW account hasn’t enjoy that game in ages.

Vayne.8563

If you can quote where I said all people are doing that, I would appreciate it. Do you deny that there were overflow servers for nearly every world boss from people farming them?

C’mon now, I’m not making this stuff up. There are LOTS of people that play this game just for the rewards. Those people are going to realize that one day, the game they are playing isn’t fun for them. Not because the game isn’t fun, but because they are too tied up in the rewards to appreciate the game. Some will realize this and stay. Many more will leave. As newer titles are published, I would be willing to bet more leave than stay.

What’s straight-forward logic? Saying that everyone who crowds into one area for a boss is only interested in that, and that’s all they do, and that they don’t enjoy other facets of the game? I’m interested in how that’s logical.

See I do the maw sometimes, or a dragon. Not my favorite part of the game by far, but I sometimes am there for them. But I’m still enjoying other parts of the game. I announce it in my guild when the maw is up and sometimes 10, 15 people show up to do it. But none of the people in my guild are following around events all day for loot. Not one. Know how I know?

Because that’s not what the guild is built on. We mostly enjoy open world content, but we also run fractals and dungeons, some WvW, some of us SPvP, but we’re definitely not just running around farming. There’s like two guys in the guild who will do content they don’t enjoy to get something. The rest of us just play the game.

So where is your logic exactly? Did you poll everyone waiting for each event?

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

What’s straight-forward logic? Saying that everyone who crowds into one area for a boss is only interested in that, and that’s all they do, and that they don’t enjoy other facets of the game? I’m interested in how that’s logical.

See I do the maw sometimes, or a dragon. Not my favorite part of the game by far, but I sometimes am there for them. But I’m still enjoying other parts of the game. I announce it in my guild when the maw is up and sometimes 10, 15 people show up to do it. But none of the people in my guild are following around events all day for loot. Not one. Know how I know?

Because that’s not what the guild is built on. We mostly enjoy open world content, but we also run fractals and dungeons, some WvW, some of us SPvP, but we’re definitely not just running around farming. There’s like two guys in the guild who will do content they don’t enjoy to get something. The rest of us just play the game.

So you deny that people only log on to get their dailies and log off? Or that people only logged on to farm boss chests and log off? Or that some people only play the game for the rewards and then those run out…. what?

I love how you are able to drill down to something so specific to try and prove that I’m wrong, when if you open your eyes, you would see that there are lots of people that play this game, not for the game, but for the reward. And, ANet encourages it.

How long can that last? Probably until the next MMO comes out…

But, I can’t wait to hear your rebuttal about how my thoughts are absurd and outlandish. Please, go ahead.

Vayne.8563

So you deny that people only log on to get their dailies and log off? Or that people only logged on to farm boss chests and log off? Or that some people only play the game for the rewards and then those run out…. what?

I love how you are able to drill down to something so specific to try and prove that I’m wrong, when if you open your eyes, you would see that there are lots of people that play this game, not for the game, but for the reward. And, ANet encourages it.

But, I can’t wait to hear your rebuttal about how my thoughts are absurd and outlandish. Please, go ahead.

I deny nothing of the kind. I said you were right. I also said you don’t know how many people do that. You just don’t know. Why can’t you admit it? I admit I don’t know?

So if you say many people, I agree with you. Many people do that. How many is many? You can’t answer it.

Without that answer, the rest of your argument is null and void. Because people do that in WoW too.

Posted by: MistaMike.7356

MistaMike.7356

This is for all the people who claim the game is dying.

Star Wars The Old Republic ended up laying off a significant portion of their staff six months or so after launch. TSW ended up laying off a third of their staff, due to disappointing sales.

Anet, on the other hand, is hiring. Here’s the link to their website, which I got by following the shifting news on top of the main Guild Wars 2 page.

http://www.arena.net/

If Guild Wars 2 is doing so badly and the game is dying, why is Anet hiring?

SWTOR shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same post as GW2, much less the same sentence. Look around at all the creativity, detail and passion that went into this game. The developers here care and are very proud of their product.
Now look at the buggy piece of garbage that is SWTOR, where the development is outsourced to third-world countries that don’t even know what Star Wars is.
One is a game made by gamers, the other a game made by suits, business and marketing majors.

Vayne.8563

@Clay

The fact that some people run meta events and log out or do dailies and log out, means some people MAY eventually realize they’re not having fun. Some people may find it fun. Some people are strange. Some people have OCD. Some people do other stuff, like chat with their guild while doing it, so they find that fun.

There are times when my guild goes to do a dragon event, and the dragon event itself sucks but we still all have fun.

So we need to know how many people will actually realize they’re not having fun, and how many of those people will leave over it.

If you don’t know how many, you can’t know if the game is in trouble or not. This is like simple logic. It would take a LOT OF people to walk away, all at the same time, without being replaced by anyone.

Now let’s say that ESO comes out and a lot of people who’ve never played an MMO before try it. If it’s as buggy as Skyrim was at launch a lot of people are going to be frustrated. More people will enter MMO space, some for the first time, and look, there’s Guild Wars 2.

SWToR did this actually. Star Wars fans who never played an MMO suddenly played one. And some of those people now play Guild Wars 2.

You’re trying to make a very complicated system very simple. What happens when Guild Wars 2 releases in China? Will it be a hit? Will it fail? You have no idea.

This is so much more complex that your simple comments would lead people to believe. Tell me, on what planet would those numbers NOT matter?

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

SWTOR shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same post as GW2, much less the same sentence. Look around at all the creativity, detail and passion that went into this game. The developers here care and are very proud of their product.
Now look at the buggy piece of garbage that is SWTOR, where the development is outsourced to third-world countries that don’t even know what Star Wars is.
One is a game made by gamers, the other a game made by suits, business and marketing majors.

Plenty of people poured their passion into swtor its insulting to them to suggest anything different. As for buggy mess I’ve encountered far more bugs in GW2 than swtor and IMHO the live support for GW2 has been equally as bad as for swtor.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Vayne.8563

Plenty of people poured their passion into swtor its insulting to them to suggest anything different. As for buggy mess I’ve encountered far more bugs in GW2 than swtor and IMHO the live support for GW2 has been equally as bad as for swtor.

By the time SWToR was as old as Guild Wars 2 is now, it was already seen by most as a failure. And by most I don’t mean like a small handful of guys on the forum. I mean investors. At this point in time, they were looking for scapegoats and pointing fingers. They had laid of, I’m pretty sure it was close to half their staff.

Guild Wars 2, by all means, has it’s problems. Thus far, however, it’s problems aren’t as severe as SWToR experienced, quite possibly because it has no monthly fee. When people are being charged continually for something, they expect a certain level of service. They aren’t likely to get it, but they expect it.

The fact is, by the time you’d played SWToR for six months, you’d have spend a whole lot more than the box price…and not by choice, either.

It makes people more likely to stop playing, too.

morrolan.9608

So yeah, some people will go to those big games, but so many big games have disappointed..what makes you think those won’t also. Do you really think those new games at launch will have less bugs than Guild Wars 2 by then? I don’t think so.

Thats not actually the point, sure people may go then come back to GW2, its apparently happening to swtor with f2p, but there still would be a large drop in population for a significant portion of time that would be acted upon by anet or ncsoft and would affect how the game is regarded.

And talking about what most of the big guilds are or aren’t doing is pointless. Because unless you’ve polled every player among them, you really have no idea. Do you know how many “big guilds” went to SWToR when it came out, only to leave a month or two later?

I’m basing it on all the feedback I see and hear from WvW players, have you polled them to discover otherwise.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

morrolan.9608

By the time SWToR was as old as Guild Wars 2 is now, it was already seen by most as a failure. And by most I don’t mean like a small handful of guys on the forum. I mean investors. At this point in time, they were looking for scapegoats and pointing fingers. They had laid of, I’m pretty sure it was close to half their staff.

Yeah so what, that wasn’t what I was addressing.

Guild Wars 2, by all means, has it’s problems. Thus far, however, it’s problems aren’t as severe as SWToR experienced, quite possibly because it has no monthly fee.

Maybe like I said elsewhere if there had been more competition I think the situiation would be a lot different.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Vayne.8563

So yeah, some people will go to those big games, but so many big games have disappointed..what makes you think those won’t also. Do you really think those new games at launch will have less bugs than Guild Wars 2 by then? I don’t think so.

Thats not actually the point, sure people may go then come back to GW2, its apparently happening to swtor with f2p, but there still would be a large drop in population for a significant portion of time that would be acted upon by anet or ncsoft and would affect how the game is regarded.

And talking about what most of the big guilds are or aren’t doing is pointless. Because unless you’ve polled every player among them, you really have no idea. Do you know how many “big guilds” went to SWToR when it came out, only to leave a month or two later?

I’m basing it on all the feedback I see and hear from WvW players, have you polled them to discover otherwise.

Nope. but I know that a lot of people say stuff all the time, and then don’t do what they say they’re going to do. I know one guy who’s been complaining about WoW for four years. Every time something comes out, he swears he’s going to leave…but he hasn’t left.

Looking at the early stages of any new MMO doesn’t show the flaws, only the selling points because that’s all the company is going to show you up front. The hype takes over, people really truly believe that the next game is going ro revolutionize gaming. And you know, game companies try to push that idea, because marketing departments are paid to do just that.

So they market the game, people go ahead and jump in. New games generally have worse balance than games out for a while, and new games generally have more bugs. Bethesda games have more bugs per square inch that most tracts of rain forest.

So some guys will go, some guys won’t, depending on what happens with WvW between now and the launch of those games.

Then those games launch, sometimes on time, somtimes late and everyone flocks to them. They might hold some people for longer than others but a lot depends on whether or not that game is really ready for release.

The only MMO I’ve seen that was ready for release in time out of mind is Rift, and that was a small world, without a lot of content. So the game was polished, but people finished everything there was on offer there in a month and they left in droves.

People can say anything they want before a game comes out. Do you remember what people were saying about Guild Wars 2 WvW before it came out?

It’s a different song then some of them are singing now, I can assure you. Do you really think that this will be any different?

morrolan.9608

People can say anything they want before a game comes out. Do you remember what people were saying about Guild Wars 2 WvW before it came out?

Yes

It’s a different song then some of them are singing now, I can assure you. Do you really think that this will be any different?

Different to what? I’ve seen people abandon games in droves after similar feedback to what GW2 has received since the infamous ascended items patch. Why I think it hasn’t happened yet is the lack of competition.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Vayne.8563

Yes

Different to what? I’ve seen people abandon games in droves after similar feedback to what GW2 has received since the infamous ascended items patch. Why I think it hasn’t happened yet is the lack of competition.

As I’ve said before, there are a lot of people who don’t really think deeply about their gaming experience. For every person who is in the know, there are a number of people who have no clue. There are plenty of people, I know you’ll find this amazing, who find WvW fun. I’m one of them. There are others in my guild who do too.

I know some guilds are talking about leaving, but they haven’t SEEN the other game yet. So they’re talking. And a lot of people spoke about leaving other games to come here.

It’s much easier to talk about making a game than it is to make a game. Frankly, I’ll believe it when I see it. If Guild Wars 2 has taught you nothing else, it should have taught you that.

Competition still has to deal with all the same obstacles. That means they have to be able to have everyone on one shard without lagging. I don’t think they can do it. No one else has been able to to date. No one foresaw the culling issues Guild Wars 2 had before the game launched, and that really hurt WvW for a long time.

Now we have input lag. Will Bethesda really be able to pull off better RvR type action? That remains to be seen.

And Guild Wars has time to work on what they have before that launches. It’ll be interesting, but I don’t think it will be as clear cut as you think.

It almost never is.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

Is the zombie MMO going anywhere? Cause I like the sound of that. Got a name?

I thought this was the zombie MMO?

Looks over at Orr and the risen…

Its unusual for people in the tech industry to stick around for more than 2 to 3 years at a single company. That the devs who eventually left lasted even longer than that is the real info here – it shows either
A: Their resumes sucked and they got stuck (doubtful),
or
B: ArenaNet was unusually good to its employees and doing amazingly well (which seems more likely given the end product we have now).

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

I could probably claim that “most people” only log in to do their dailies and ‘valor cap’ in WoW and then log off. I might be right for a very massive segment of the population there. And this fact still has yet to seriously hurt that game. IN fact its possibly all that keeps it alive for the others who are more involved.

Some folks actually like that playstyle. I’m not one of them, but I’ve talked to quite a few.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: WeightTrainer.3219

WeightTrainer.3219

Guild Wars 2 doesn’t have an epic feel to it anymore. I don’t know. I will be back at the beginning of May to see if the new content for that month is better than the April content. the super adventure box is a neat and creative idea, just doesnt seem very “epic”.

Vayne.8563

Guild Wars 2 doesn’t have an epic feel to it anymore. I don’t know. I will be back at the beginning of May to see if the new content for that month is better than the April content. the super adventure box is a neat and creative idea, just doesnt seem very “epic”.

You’re 100% right. It’s not epic.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

The super adventure box was the yearly April fools content. “Epic” was not the goal here.

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

Sources please.

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Vayne.8563

Sources please.

Weight Trainer was my source. Wish you had one for the stuff you’ve spouted.

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

Sources please.

I hear people say that this update was epic, that it brought back lots of memories they are fond of. Look at the countless of threads that praise the Super Adventure Box.

Now if you mean that it’s not epic in comparison to the previous updates and in regards to overall effect on the virtual game world, you are half-correct. Many chests spawn throughout the world that has everything to do with this update. The people who play GW2 PvE, which are the majority, will be affected somehow by this update. It’s of an epic scale in that regard.

Now if you mean it’s not an epic update as that it’s not game-changing. You are correct. It doesn’t change the game much at all. It fits in the lore mostly and it can be disregarded in almost everything you can do in GW2. Though some people treat it with contempt because it’s radically different than what you normally see in GW2.

As for how GW2 is doing, we can only speculate without much data. So let’s take a look at the server population and the revealed plans of ANet regarding GW2. The community can only a part of relevant information.

As from my own point of view I think GW2 will last a long time and will be one of the better MMOs of today. GW2 is not doing

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

The reality is you have no idea how GW2 is doing right?

You said GW2 is doing “well”. But you can’t even give me a good “guestimate” on how many people still playign GW2.

It could be anything from 300k to 1.5 million and no one knows.

And you keep bringing up the SWTOR comparison. The one thing SWTOR did wrong is over spend. The reality is if GW2 spend 200 million on development, they probably will be trimming down staff too.

I don’t blame Anet for not releasing public data, because people dramatize everything. Even if GW2 manage to retain half its players, which is already very good, and highly unlikely. The “internet” will be full of negative comment on how Anet failed to retain players. And those negative comment do have an impact on sells.

The reality is we are speculating because Anet won’t release the data right? Image for a game studio is very important. When Jay Wilson released the D3 population, it can’t make me stop and wonder, he waited all that long to release it right after the pvp patch. Because If I would to guess, I doubt the number is even close to that high.

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

To me, GW2 is easily the best MMO since WoW, and is currently the best – “best” meaning (again, to me) the best and most forward-looking, the freshest and the most fun to actually play.

Having said that, I’m burned out on it about 700 hours of very casual play in. As a game, that places it in my list of all-time most played games. As an MMO, it’s still second best – after WoW.

It has not become the ‘next step’ in MMO’s I hoped it would. It’s very close in places, but there’s a list of things which keeps it away from being a true classic.

Yes, it is doing well and will continue to do so. I’m still confident it can grow into its own and become what I think many of us hoped it would be, but the clock is ticking.

Just to add: whatever else happens, GW2 is a remarkably beautiful game, crafted with so much obvious love and skill that I feel a bit bad typing what I just did, and ANet’s success has been hard fought, and well earned. Good luck to us all !

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

(edited by Goettel.4389)

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

To me, GW2 is easily the best MMO since WoW, and is currently the best – “best” meaning (again, to me) the best and most forward-looking, the freshest and the most fun to actually play.

Having said that, I’m burned out on it about 700 hours of very casual play in. As a game, that places it in my list of all-time most played games. As an MMO, it’s still second best – after WoW.

It has not become the ‘next step’ in MMO’s I hoped it would. It’s very close in places, but there’s a list of things which keeps it away from being a true classic.

Yes, it is doing well and will continue to do so. I’m still confident it can grow into its own and become what I think many of us hoped it would be, but the clock is ticking.

Just to add: whatever else happens, GW2 is a remarkably beautiful game, crafted with so much obvious love and skill that I feel a bit bad typing what I just did, and ANet’s success has been hard fought, and well earned. Good luck to us all !

+1. It surely has the best graphics in an MMO so far. I am a noob MMO player I wouldnt have a lot of XP but by looking at D3 and WoW in Youtube, no thanks. Maybe there is some Japanese / Korean MMO that is even better looking but I dont know either languages so ….

IMHO, Anet has to be really careful about their game design; because their game design could have profound effects on GW2’s non-subscription business model, in comparison to a subscription one. Bandwidth and servers cost money to run and maintain right?

Not only that, but who they choose to compete with. Esports – I think of DoTA, HoN, SC2, Fifa (no offense the world doesnt just comprise of Americans). SAB – Minecraft + N64 emulators on iphone/android + the millions of casual platformers.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

(edited by Khal Drogo.9631)

Posted by: Estic.8647

Estic.8647

Just here to congratulate Clay on 8 pages. Been a while since I saw such an awfully successful troll.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

There’s a real april update coming this month, the april fools one is not the real one.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Vayne.8563

Sources please.

I hear people say that this update was epic, that it brought back lots of memories they are fond of. Look at the countless of threads that praise the Super Adventure Box.

Now if you mean that it’s not epic in comparison to the previous updates and in regards to overall effect on the virtual game world, you are half-correct. Many chests spawn throughout the world that has everything to do with this update. The people who play GW2 PvE, which are the majority, will be affected somehow by this update. It’s of an epic scale in that regard.

Now if you mean it’s not an epic update as that it’s not game-changing. You are correct. It doesn’t change the game much at all. It fits in the lore mostly and it can be disregarded in almost everything you can do in GW2. Though some people treat it with contempt because it’s radically different than what you normally see in GW2.

As for how GW2 is doing, we can only speculate without much data. So let’s take a look at the server population and the revealed plans of ANet regarding GW2. The community can only a part of relevant information.

As from my own point of view I think GW2 will last a long time and will be one of the better MMOs of today. GW2 is not doing

We’re clearly using a different usage of the word Epic. I quite like the update. In fact, I really like the update. But I’m guessing, and it’s just a guess, that Weight Trainer meant epic as in an epic saga, or epic fantasy. And in that, he’s right.

It wasn’t meant to be that sort of epic, because it was an April Fool’s Day upgrade. Other things in this game in the future probably will be epic.

So before you refute what one says, it helps to know how one is defining his terms. I figured you’d post something to refute what I said, but I stand behind it. I wouldn’t define a fun retro video game as epic, certainly not with the usage I’ve intended.

morrolan.9608

Spot on, as per another thread its evolutionary not revolutionary.

IMHO its a beautiful game that developed with skill by the dev team but released too early, and with an ongoing live support team that clearly has different priorities than the initial dev team to the games detriment.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Posted by: Ellesar.5682

Ellesar.5682

I’m not sure how long they will be able to sustain this though. Their Achilles heel is a AAA MMO targeted to a mature audience. The Disney stuff might be tolerable for awhile but; it’ll get dumped really fast. Your average MMO gamers is over 30 and is demanding mature fun content.

Fixed that for you. I’m an average MMO gamer over 30, therefore I’m as entitled to generalize about the entire demographic as you are.

I’m not generalizing. Its a fact. MMO’s are not appealing to younger audiences. They might buy the game; play it till level 10 or 20 then quit.

It probably has something to do with how the younger generations seek something for nothing and are too impatient to work towards something. The entitled generation. The ones that grew up with credit cards, smart phones and google.

I’m turning 16 soon and guess what I have a lvl 85 in lotro and a lvl 90 in wow and have been playing lotro for 2 years now and wow for 1 year, you don’t state facts you state bullkitten that has no facts behind it.

Posted by: Ryo Hazuki.8503

Ryo Hazuki.8503

I just wanted to stop in and say that the game is dead. I logged in and there is no one there whatsoever. I encourage everyone posting/reading on forums to log in and see for yourself. it is completely empty, but all 10k+ of you should log and in see for yourself. I’ll be waiting, and the 10k of us online will be able to see no one is there. That will be our proof.

Rubbish, it’s not dead at all. I was on last night and my server was quite busy, plenty of people still joining in for DE’s etc. Certainly not as bustling as launch but that’s obvious.

Vayne.8563

I just wanted to stop in and say that the game is dead. I logged in and there is no one there whatsoever. I encourage everyone posting/reading on forums to log in and see for yourself. it is completely empty, but all 10k+ of you should log and in see for yourself. I’ll be waiting, and the 10k of us online will be able to see no one is there. That will be our proof.

Rubbish, it’s not dead at all. I was on last night and my server was quite busy, plenty of people still joining in for DE’s etc. Certainly not as bustling as launch but that’s obvious.

While I agree there’s zero chance of it being as bustling as it was at launch, I also wonder how anyone would be able to know, since at launch everyone started in five zones. On launch day no one was in Orr.

People are far more divided now than they were then. There were no fractals then to hide people either.

As obvious as it is that there would be less people now than at launch, how many less would be impossible to determine.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

I think the overproduced RPG aspect of MMORPG has really burned players out. Everyone isn’t expecting a WoW 2, they are expecting something worth playing with or in addition to what they already love. People have enveloped themselves both physically and socially into these games. Those companies who seek to tear people away from games that hold a firm position in the lives of gamers will find failure at every turn. It is in the best interests, and clearly something Arenanet understands, to allow gamers flexibility. They don’t want you to leave your friends in WoW, they don’t want you to abandon your pvp buddies in Aion. They want you to play the game and enjoy it, knowing full well that your friends here, and your friends there, will welcome you back every time you switch.

Designers and big wigs that attempt to grab players from other games are missing the point. The purpose of most games is to get our time, and our time is a limited thing. How does one go about tearing a gamers hours between two games? the answer is, they don’t. Players aren’t one cloned type of people, we love role playing and can love shooting our enemies or mind blowing puzzles as well. While developers try to incorporate all that into one game, it doesn’t make that game the end all win all of MMO’s. Very much so it makes that game scattered, and often players spend more time trying to find out where they fit in than actually playing. In the coming months and even years you will see ideas that push the envelope of gaming. What you won’t see is the next big WOW Killer. Because simply put it doesn’t exist. WoW is a great game to some people, as are many other MMO’s. But it has become a world where we are split apart enjoying different things. And until developers learn to bring us together rather than pull us away, no MMO will be truly revolutionary.

So can we tell if GW2 is dying/succeeding? In most cases the answer is no. Tons of people playing today doesn’t mean it is doing good tomorrow. Tons of subs doesn’t make a game good either. People need to stop thinking in terms of what is better than something else, and simply what is enjoyable period. Do you like WoW? Great, so do tons of other people. How about EVE, FFXI, FFXIV, TESO, DESTINY? Yes? Great! Now where are we going with this? Well none of those games are going to be the end, none of them will be the game that gets you, me, or anyone else to leave everything we love. None of them will pull us away from our friends, at least not forever. We build bonds in these games, friendships, some that go beyond casual. It is time we stop asking if a game is alive or dying, and start asking why aren’t the AAA games working together? We aren’t basement dwelling balls of slime, hiding away from the world like some portray us to be. We are living breathing, thinking people. And we don’t log on to make your game seem alive. We log on because we enjoy your game, we enjoy the community. If we don’t then we simply wouldn’t. The entire discussion is great, but in the end I think we are all thinking inside the box (pun intended). All games are alive, all games have some part of our limited time. So why not stop asking if we are playing a dead or alive game, and start asking how we can enjoy more games more often.

Less forcing players to log in to keep the world alive, less forcing people to play “X” game. Give us a reason to play this AND other games, not toss the cake in front of us to pull us away from what we also enjoy. I think Arenanet gets this, I think most publishers do not. Which is why the very few make amazing games we keep coming back to. While others are like sweet treats we like now, but walk away from later. Look at minecraft, indie game, not everyone loves. Amazing graphics? Not really. Best story line ever? Nope. Will some people go play it along with their other online games? Yep. Some people get it and some people don’t. You will never be able to judge life of MMO’s in the same light as people once used to. We are no longer playing Amazing games VS crappy games. We are playing many great games with bright futures. While this is a great topic of discussion, there is no clear answer. Those who argue yes or no, are lacking the depth of the conversation, and the depth of themselves. We are not pigeons pecking at a red button for food. We choose to have options, choose to have a choice in the first place.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Nappychappy.7046

Nappychappy.7046

The linear paths and excessive hand-holding ANet does is killing gw2 slowly. People will go on about entitlement, but really it’s more about the control of dedication, prolonging content via gating. ANet wants to be know for breaking molds and I am sure they’d love to take the crown from WoW, but unless they give more power to the player with dedication and shinies, I don’t see them ever getting close.

I am not talking about box sale numbers here, but active players and the state of the game.

*edit, power to the player (not meaning stats) though, cosmedics are not much of a reward honestly, especially the way loot is done in this game.

You are using 21 of 100 infractions ermm, PMs.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The linear paths and excessive hand-holding ANet does is killing gw2 slowly. People will go on about entitlement, but really it’s more about the control of dedication, prolonging content via gating. ANet wants to be know for breaking molds and I am sure they’d love to take the crown from WoW, but unless they give more power to the player with dedication and shinies, I don’t see them ever getting close.

I am not talking about box sale numbers here, but active players and the state of the game.

*edit, power to the player (not meaning stats) though, cosmedics are not much of a reward honestly, especially the way loot is done in this game.

What linear path? I chose my own way around Tyria and had a blast doing it. I wasn’t forced to run dungeons or do my “personal story”. Nobody forced me to go left or right when I come to a fork in the road. If I wasn’t cutting across the map. Guides may have told me what is in a particular area but I rarely if ever did what they suggested. I explored the world and did events or hearts or skill challenges in whatever order I felt like.

Bah! Linear path, right.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Nappychappy.7046

What linear path? I chose my own way around Tyria and had a blast doing it. I wasn’t forced to run dungeons or do my “personal story”. Nobody forced me to go left or right when I come to a fork in the road. If I wasn’t cutting across the map. Guides may have told me what is in a particular area but I rarely if ever did what they suggested. I explored the world and did events or hearts or skill challenges in whatever order I felt like.

Bah! Linear path, right.

Not linear eh? Start zone >next > next > next… Ignore the all paths you want, but playing the game on course is linear by design, both leveling and story leads to Orr. Running in circles all day doesn’t change a thing.

Vayne.8563

Bah! Linear path, right.

Not linear eh? Start zone >next > next > next… Ignore the all paths you want, but playing the game on course is linear by design, both leveling and story leads to Orr. Running in circles all day doesn’t change a thing.

This depends on how you play the game. Do you know why this game is not linear to me?

Because I can stay in Wayfarer foothills and NEVER leave it if I choose, and get all the way to level 80. Not too many games offer this sort of thing. I can get to level 50 and decide you know, I quite like this zone, I’m going to come back to it when I’m 80. Most games don’t offer that kind of choice.

It’s not linear because there are not only five starting zones, but multiple ways to get to Orr. You can get all the way to Orr without ever setting foot in Timberline Falls, or Mount Maelstrom. You can get there without ever setting foot in Sparkfly Swamp.

You can do high level content in Orr or Frostgorge or even Sunset Cove if you have a mind to.

So no, the game isn’t linear. The story is linear, but you know. stories are. I read books all the time and they’re all linear, in that page 300 comes after page 250. That’s what makes it a story.

But the rest of the game. Being able to jump into PvP as a level 80 character at level 2….not linear. Being able to WvW from almost any level, not linear. Being able to go back to any zone to level, not linear.

If you don’t play the type of game I do and all you want to do is farm high level areas, of course you’ll find the game linear. I just wonder if you realize how many people don’t want to do that.

Nappychappy.7046

Bah! Linear path, right.

This depends on how you play the game. Do you know why this game is not linear to me?

Because I can stay in Wayfarer foothills and NEVER leave it if I choose, and get all the way to level 80. Not too many games offer this sort of thing. I can get to level 50 and decide you know, I quite like this zone, I’m going to come back to it when I’m 80. Most games don’t offer that kind of choice.

It’s not linear because there are not only five starting zones, but multiple ways to get to Orr. You can get all the way to Orr without ever setting foot in Timberline Falls, or Mount Maelstrom. You can get there without ever setting foot in Sparkfly Swamp.

You can do high level content in Orr or Frostgorge or even Sunset Cove if you have a mind to.

So no, the game isn’t linear. The story is linear, but you know. stories are. I read books all the time and they’re all linear, in that page 300 comes after page 250. That’s what makes it a story.

But the rest of the game. Being able to jump into PvP as a level 80 character at level 2….not linear. Being able to WvW from almost any level, not linear. Being able to go back to any zone to level, not linear.

If you don’t play the type of game I do and all you want to do is farm high level areas, of course you’ll find the game linear. I just wonder if you realize how many people don’t want to do that.

Zone > Zone > Zone. Nah not linear at all.. I mean you can make a new character and go anywhere in the game as level 1 right?

Posted by: FLFW.3105

FLFW.3105

Doing well ? Yes
Is well ? No

GuildWars 2 is good game with bad management.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Bah! Linear path, right.

Zone > Zone > Zone. Nah not linear at all.. I mean you can make a new character and go anywhere in the game as level 1 right?

I think you are confusing zones in a generic way and calling it linear. Going from level 1 area to level 35 area, then killing a boss in level 15 area is not linear. The very definition is hard to find physically in game:
“a (1) : of, relating to, resembling, or having a graph that is a line and especially a straight line : straight (2) : involving a single dimension”

The story yes, it is a story, kind of hard to have a non linear story as a whole. In the game you cannot go to level 80 area as level 1 (pve) you will die. You however CAN got o Orr at 80 and farm, drop by shiverpeaks and kill a level 15 boss for rare loot. That there is anti linear to me. You can pick an entire trait line and play 1 straight way, go retrain and start all over. Not linear. Simply stating zone>zone>zone, does not argue in your favor anything relevant. It is only a hasty reply with no further input or discussion. So, to fill in the lack of discussion you are having, why not tell us what you would do to make the game less linear in your eyes.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Vayne.8563

Bah! Linear path, right.

No, you can’t go anywhere in level 1. But the fact that there are multiple zones doesn’t make it linear. Again the story IS linear. But you can actually go from a 1-15 zone to a different 1-15 zone, to a 15-25 zone and back to a 1-15 zone.

Not really any definition of linear I know.

Basically you’re saying anything with a starting point is linear. Like if you have to go from one place to another, it’s a linear trip. But that’s only if there’s one path.

If you can double back and still be playing the game…then it’s not linear.

I guess you think everyone must have the goal to get to Orr or finish the personal story.

What about a guy who only SPvPs. He goes from tutorial to level 80. How is that linear?

Posted by: Master Archer Nente.9284

Master Archer Nente.9284

I’m not sure how long they will be able to sustain this though. Their Achilles heel is a AAA MMO targeted to a mature audience. The Disney stuff might be tolerable for awhile but; it’ll get dumped really fast. Your average MMO gamers is over 30 and is demanding mature fun content.

Fixed that for you. I’m an average MMO gamer over 30, therefore I’m as entitled to generalize about the entire demographic as you are.

I’m not generalizing. Its a fact. MMO’s are not appealing to younger audiences. They might buy the game; play it till level 10 or 20 then quit.

It probably has something to do with how the younger generations seek something for nothing and are too impatient to work towards something. The entitled generation. The ones that grew up with credit cards, smart phones and google.

Probably the biggest load of crap I’ve seen spewed on these forums and there has been a lot of kitten crap spewed on these forums.

Character: Kyou Fujibayashi ~Mesmer
Guilds: Tears of the Ascended [ToA] | Legion of Dhuum[LoD]

Posted by: CookMETEnder.7582

CookMETEnder.7582

I thought this thread would have died by now.
The game is doing financially well.
The game (content and balance) is doing well in comparison to other popular MMORPGs that were under a year old at their respective times.

The community is in utter ruins as trolls and whining babies have risen from the waters of Orr and have taken over Lion’s Arch.

Vayne.8563

The game (content and balance) is doing well in comparison to other popular MMORPGs that were under a year old at their respective times.

The community is in utter ruins as trolls and whining babies have risen from the waters of Orr and have taken over Lion’s Arch.

I knew the thread wouldn’t die a quick death because the naysayers were bound to come into it to try to argue their point. I just wanted a thread from the other side of the coin, since most of the threads about the games health have been negative (because people assume their opinions are going to kittenoed by most people).

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

I knew the thread wouldn’t die a quick death because the naysayers were bound to come into it to try to argue their point. I just wanted a thread from the other side of the coin, since most of the threads about the games health have been negative (because people assume their opinions are going to kittenoed by most people).

I agree! I have yet to see a thread that mostly talks positively about the game’s health. There are a few threads in the Game Discussion branch that relates to that but not as widespread as this one.

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Vayne.8563

I agree! I have yet to see a thread that mostly talks positively about the game’s health. There are a few threads in the Game Discussion branch that relates to that but not as widespread as this one.

The doom and gloom crowd would like everyone to believe that because they don’t like a game, or because it’s not for them, that everyone feels that way or even that most people do.

I’m sure there are some people who do feel the way they do…and I’m sure there are some people who feel the way I do.

I guess that’s really the point. No one has a monopoly on an opinion.