Is Guild Wars 2 Doing Well?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Heijincks.9267

Heijincks.9267

I very much agree with ScottBroChill that just because a company says they are doing well, doesn’t mean they are. These things can affect share values, and the like.

Which brings me back to my original point. We don’t know, and we have no way of knowing.

There’s however less assumptions to be made if we assume that there’s no conspiracy theories, and you know what that means.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

I very much agree with ScottBroChill that just because a company says they are doing well, doesn’t mean they are. These things can affect share values, and the like.

Which brings me back to my original point. We don’t know, and we have no way of knowing.

There’s however less assumptions to be made if we assume that there’s no conspiracy theories, and you know what that means.

The only thing that I’m assuming is that I don’t have all the facts, nor is there a way for me to obtain them.

Heijincks.9267

The only thing that I’m assuming is that I don’t have all the facts, nor is there a way for me to obtain them.

That’s not an assumption. That’s a fact; none of us have access to all of it.

Given what evidence we do have however, one scenario is more likely to be true than another, that being that there is no conspiracy theory. The possibility that there isn’t one requires less assumptions.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I mean one of the friends that quits thinks runescape is more fun, but that’s some other kind of sorcery…

One of my friends likes DDO more. But most of my Guild Wars 1 guild is still playing and enjoying the game. Even so, none of this matters.

What matters is that MMOs have NEVER courted the masses. There were too many really stupid things that they did. MMO people never caught on.

It was stupid to tag a mob and have to wait for a boss to respawn to get credit for a quest. That’s just dumb. It was stupid to have people stealing your nodes all the time, making farming and mining more important than killing the guy attacking you. Again, dumb.

There are so many things that the standard MMOs got wrong. Guild Wars 2 isn’t any great leap forward. It’s just a game that trimmed the stupid stuff that I didn’t want to deal with in the first place.

They made a beautiful world that people want to visit, that’s it. It’s like they keep saying, they’re not interested in just making a game, they want to make a virtual world and they’ve started doing just that.

It’s not your thing, I get that. It’s not your friends thing. I get that. But I don’t think that I’m such an abberration that something I’m looking for for years is something so far out of the public eye that there aren’t millions of others who are looking for something similar.

That’s my point.

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

GW2 is doing alright sales wise, but I think the major driving factor right now is no subscription and nothing new coming out in the near future. A lot of people are in a holding pattern waiting for a new MMO to be released and don’t want to be burdened with a monthly payment.

GW2 development is doing horribly though. I’ve never seen such terrible patches, class balance, and design decisions in my entire decade+ of playing MMO’s. They continue to restrict and segregate instead of expanding and integrating. With each patch the game has become less and less “play how you want” and more and more “Play how ArenaNet thinks you should”. I think if ArenaNet had described the game as it is now prior to launch, it wouldn’t have sold nearly as well.

It isn’t all bad though, I mean I love the event system in this game and having to go back to quest givers is not something I look forward too. The ability to just jump on and play without worrying about missing a quest giver, having to share quests, or run back to giver upon completion is a huge plus. Sadly though the world events can only entertain you so long without better retention mechanics in place.

Overall, I think once another big MMO is nearing release GW2’s time will be over. If those MMO’s don’t embrace more complex mechanics in order to retain customers they will be 3-6 month MMO’s before people flock to another new MMO. I don’t think ESO will have the mechanics to retain people for long, but EQ Next is supposed to be more sandbox-like so I have more hope for it. Titan is a toss-up considering what they did to Diablo 3, but we will see.

Chuo.4238

Given what evidence we do have however, one scenario is more likely to be true than another, that being that there is no conspiracy theory. The possibility that there isn’t one requires less assumptions.

This is true, but I’m still not going to believe something just because someone says it. Especially not when they have a vested interest in me believing it. Without other, impartial evidence, I really have nothing to go on.

And I’m certainly not going to accept something as true just because its more possible or likely than a different scenario.

This isn’t conspiracy theorizing. It’s just common sense.

Vayne.8563

GW2 is doing alright sales wise, but I think the major driving factor right now is no subscription and nothing new coming out in the near future. A lot of people are in a holding pattern waiting for a new MMO to be released and don’t want to be burdened with a monthly payment.

GW2 development is doing horribly though. I’ve never seen such terrible patches, class balance, and design decisions in my entire decade+ of playing MMO’s. They continue to restrict and segregate instead of expanding and integrating. With each patch the game has become less and less “play how you want” and more and more “Play how ArenaNet thinks you should”. I think if ArenaNet had described the game as it is now prior to launch, it wouldn’t have sold nearly as well.

It isn’t all bad though, I mean I love the event system in this game and having to go back to quest givers is not something I look forward too. The ability to just jump on and play without worrying about missing a quest giver, having to share quests, or run back to giver upon completion is a huge plus. Sadly though the world events can only entertain you so long without better retention mechanics in place.

Overall, I think once another big MMO is nearing release GW2’s time will be over. If those MMO’s don’t embrace more complex mechanics in order to retain customers they will be 3-6 month MMO’s before people flock to another new MMO. I don’t think ESO will have the mechanics to retain people for long, but EQ Next is supposed to be more sandbox-like so I have more hope for it. Titan is a toss-up considering what they did to Diablo 3, but we will see.

Guild Wars 2 has plenty of time to fix things before the next games come out. Months is a long time to fix stuff. And I’m pretty sure that I’m seeing more people now, not less.

The thing is, not everyone runs off to play the next MMO. Once you’ve invested time and energy in an MMO, you sort of take ownership of it. You get to like your characters. You get to like your world.

Some people, of course, are going to leave, but I’m nothing thinking as many as most people think. And then, because there is no monthly fee, people might play another game and come back.

Several people who left the game have returned to my guild recently and they’re playing again…and enjoying themselves.

I just don’t think this game was designed to be played as your exclusive game. But I think it’s good enough for people to keepcoming back to. And that’s all it needs.

Heijincks.9267

This is true, but I’m still not going to believe something just because someone says it. Especially not when they have a vested interest in me believing it. Without other, impartial evidence, I really have nothing to go on.

And I’m certainly not going to accept something as true just because its more possible or likely than a different scenario.

Suppose there’s a scenario in a store where there’s a broken window and a missing cash register. Most people would say there’s been a break in and a theft.

There are alternative theories though, such as someone stayed inside the store and used the cash register to smash the window then walked away with it, despite that doors can be unlocked from the inside, and the chances of getting caught is pretty high if you wait out in a store past closing.

Are you saying you’re not going to believe the first theory? Kind of what you’re doing here really.

Why would Anet want you, someone who is already a player, believe whatever you think they want you to believe (the thing about server population)? What might they have to gain from it? I’d prefer to believe something that has a higher possibility of being true than believe something less likely to be true.

(edited by Heijincks.9267)

Chuo.4238

Suppose there’s a scenario in a store where there’s a broken window and a missing cash register. Most people would say there’s been a break in and a theft.

There are alternative theories though, such as someone stayed inside the store and used the cash register to smash the window then walked away with it.

Are you saying you’re not going to believe the first theory? Kind of what you’re doing here really.

Why would Anet want you, someone who is already a player, believe whatever you think they want you to believe? What might they have to gain from it? I’d prefer to believe something that has a higher possibility of being true than believe something less likely to be true.

I’d say call the police and let them sort it out.

Look, companies are going to say all is well right up until the day they file Chapter 11. So they’re going to say it no matter what. Why? It affects share value. Money.

This is how it is, all over the world, with all sorts of companies.

I’m not trying to be contrary or overly suspicious. I’m just pointing out that we cannot use anything someone says, in particular about themselves, and especially when there’s some kind of interest or gain that can be affected by what is said, as evidence for anything.

Accepting that sort of thing as evidence is no more valid that believing that what your particular guild or group of friends are doing ingame is indicative of the entire community.

That’s all.

So we don’t know how GW2 is actually doing. We never will.

Heijincks.9267

There are alternative theories though, such as someone stayed inside the store and used the cash register to smash the window then walked away with it.

Why would Anet want you, someone who is already a player, believe whatever you think they want you to believe? What might they have to gain from it? I’d prefer to believe something that has a higher possibility of being true than believe something less likely to be true.

Look, companies are going to say all is well right up until the day they file Chapter 11. So they’re going to say it no matter what. Why? It affects share value. Money.

I’m not trying to be contrary or overly suspicious. I’m just pointing out that we cannot use anything someone says, in particular about themselves, and especially when there’s some kind of interest or gain that can be affected by what is said, as evidence for anything.

Accepting that sort of thing as evidence is no more valid that believing that what your particular guild or group of friends are doing ingame is indicative of the entire community.

That’s all.

But if you looked at the scene yourself, which theory do you think would have a higher chance of occurring?

To say “we will never know how GW2 is actually doing” isn’t a very good conclusion. Yes, we will never know 100%, but we can have ideas, and some ideas are more likely to be true than others. Chances are Anet did increase server populations due to a rising number of players because it’s more evident that did happen than the otherwise.

In retrospect, it’s like saying “we’ll never know how the theft took place” even though the evidence points to the first theory.

(edited by Heijincks.9267)

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

That’s all.

companies are penalized for lying, because normally there’s several independent companies tracking sales numbers.

Chuo.4238

That’s all.

But if you looked at the scene yourself, which theory do you think would have a higher chance of occurring?

To say “we will never know how GW2 is actually doing” isn’t a very good conclusion. Yes, we will never know 100%, but we can have ideas, and some ideas are more likely to be true than others. Chances are Anet did increase server populations due to a rising number of players because it’s more evident that did happen than the otherwise.

In retrospect, it’s like saying “we’ll never know how the theft took place” even though the evidence points to the first theory.

Sure. Doing this is how people decide whether to buy or sell their shares. And while I might think there’s the possibility to make a bit of a profit here, I’m not going to bet a large amount on this kind of speculation, though.

Mostly, though, I’ll play the game if I enjoy it, and move on if I don’t. I’m about ready to move on.

Vayne.8563

Several independent observers saw the high pop servers drop to medium all at the same time in Europe and US. After these observations an Anet employee comes along and says yeah, due to the success of our recent sale we’ve increased server capacity on some servers. I have two things I can believe.

A BUNCH of people in Europe and the US all left the game simultaneously or maybe they expanded the number of players who could be on a single server.

Sure, you can say Anet will say anything they like, but it doesn’t change the fact that server numbers have very very likely increased on certain servers.

This really isn’t rocket science.

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

We cant know exactly how well Guild wars 2 is doing, but what i do know is that after every MMO released you get a series of bad news. ‘’Population dropping rapidly!’’ or ‘’[Company name] has fired many of its staff!’’ and so forth. In gw2 it seems to have gone the opposite way which in my book is a good sign, i have yet to see news about this game that make me feel like the game is going down the drain, which has happened with every other MMO i have played.(the exception to this would be wow i suppose, but i played that kittenty kitten game for a month so)

Posted by: ScottBroChill.3254

ScottBroChill.3254

the nature of the gaming beast is changing though. People are less patient and don’t wait around for changes anymore. People of my generation in particular, and I’m 19 turning 20, are impatient. People younger than me are even worse. Game companies don’t really have time to wait around and test the waters so even though this is a new game, there is even more competition and so games that don’t satisfy are easily forgotten no matter how big they are.

For an mmo, people look for a large playerbase. Whether anet tells the truth or not about it’s sales, as long is it says they’re doing great more people are going to want to play. It would be a stupid idea to undersell their product, so lying or stretching the truth becomes for of a mandatory thing because this isn’t just a game for them, it’s a business.

Vayne.8563

the nature of the gaming beast is changing though. People are less patient and don’t wait around for changes anymore. People of my generation in particular, and I’m 19 turning 20, are impatient. People younger than me are even worse. Game companies don’t really have time to wait around and test the waters so even though this is a new game, there is even more competition and so games that don’t satisfy are easily forgotten no matter how big they are.

For an mmo, people look for a large playerbase. Whether anet tells the truth or not about it’s sales, as long is it says they’re doing great more people are going to want to play. It would be a stupid idea to undersell their product, so lying or stretching the truth becomes for of a mandatory thing because this isn’t just a game for them, it’s a business.

Yes, I agree with you 100%. People of your generation are just like that. But the average gamer isn’t of your generation. The age of the average gamer is actually over 30…it’s getting older all the time, and many older people have developed some form of patience, if for no other reason than to deal with their bosses. lol

The point is, a game really can get along without being popular with the 20 year old demographic these days. You may not see it or believe it, but you can bank on it.

A lot of really smart gaming companies are.

Posted by: ScottBroChill.3254

ScottBroChill.3254

yeah, but do the older generations have enough time in their lives to drive an mmo? that’s the concern. And the average gamer of my generation is like that. If somethings bad, theirs something better. WoW was able to succeed because before than the mmo genre wasn’t really accessible to the general audience. Being the first mmo to appeal to the general audience made a big impact and they capitalized on it. Anet apparently thinks that this same audience can be tapped into, but they(the audience) have way higher expectations. I see a lot of people mmo-hop now. They play all the free ones that are online and once one becomes boring, there is a handful of other ones to pass the time.

Vayne.8563

yeah, but do the older generations have enough time in their lives to drive an mmo? that’s the concern. And the average gamer of my generation is like that. If somethings bad, theirs something better. WoW was able to succeed because before than the mmo genre wasn’t really accessible to the general audience. Being the first mmo to appeal to the general audience made a big impact and they capitalized on it. Anet apparently thinks that this same audience can be tapped into, but they(the audience) have way higher expectations. I see a lot of people mmo-hop now. They play all the free ones that are online and once one becomes boring, there is a handful of other ones to pass the time.

Yep, a lot of older people have time to drive an MMO. More than you think. Because we stopped watching TV. lol

Seriously I think you’d be stunned.

Chuo.4238

Yep, a lot of older people have time to drive an MMO. More than you think. Because we stopped watching TV. lol

Seriously I think you’d be stunned.

Agree…while I don’t consider myself “older” just yet, I am far into my Thirties. I don’t watch TV – it’s noninteractive and generally asinine. I haven’t paid for cable or any other such service since the mid 1990’s.

So while I have a very full time job, and a family, I have time to play video games. Perhaps not the 30 hours a week or more that college students and other young people can, but it’s still more than you’d think. Oh, and I’ve got disposable income. Much more than most 20-somethings. They very definitely aim games (or aspects of them) at my age group.

Hey, we’re the first generation in the world to have grown up with video games…and believe it or not…many of those Atari 2600 through NES games, and especially the early arcade games, are more fun to me than the stuff you get in today’s market…

Super Adventure Box, anyone?

Edit: off topic. ScottBroChill, I normally have no clue how to interact with your generation. You guys tend to think on entirely different frequencies (not good or bad, just different). That said, you’re pretty well spoken and bring up good points. Keep it up.

(edited by Chuo.4238)

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

Several independent observers saw the high pop servers drop to medium all at the same time in Europe and US. After these observations an Anet employee comes along and says yeah, due to the success of our recent sale we’ve increased server capacity on some servers. I have two things I can believe.

A BUNCH of people in Europe and the US all left the game simultaneously or maybe they expanded the number of players who could be on a single server.

Sure, you can say Anet will say anything they like, but it doesn’t change the fact that server numbers have very very likely increased on certain servers.

You do realize that only way for the population to drop from high to low is:
A. Large number of people moved from Very High to Low Population servers
B. Server was full of bots and they just banned a hell lot of them
or
C. Anet increased server size

Population count is only how many accounts are tethered to that server not how many people are playing. And its only logical for one of these conclusions to be true.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

You do realize that only way for the population to drop from high to low is:
A. Large number of people moved from Very High to Low Population servers
B. Server was full of bots and they just banned a hell lot of them
or
C. Anet increased server size

Population count is only how many accounts are tethered to that server not how many people are playing. And its only logical for one of these conclusions to be true.

It was confirmed that server capacity was increased.

Due to a number of servers approaching full with a recent influx of new players from the sale on Gw2 that just ended, the server capacity was recently increased for a number of servers yes.

They increased capacity Monday. US servers suddenly changed from all Very High to 4 Medium, 1 High and the rest stayed Very High.

Today, US servers are now 2 Medium, 3 High and the rest Very High.

Seems the game is doing very well indeed

Posted by: TheVindelator.8239

TheVindelator.8239

I have to agree with you there. GW2’s writing and characters aren’t good for a mature audience. Hell, even an audience of 14+ probably would like darker, richer, smarter characters.

This won’t cause a slow death for GW2 though. This just means someday something will come along that beats it.

I’m not sure how long they will be able to sustain this though. Their Achilles heel is a AAA MMO targeted to a mature audience. The Disney stuff might be tolerable for awhile but; it’ll get dumped really fast. Your average MMO gamers is over 30 and is demanding mature content.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I have to agree with you there. GW2’s writing and characters aren’t good for a mature audience. Hell, even an audience of 14+ probably would like darker, richer, smarter characters.

This won’t cause a slow death for GW2 though. This just means someday something will come along that beats it.

I’m not sure how long they will be able to sustain this though. Their Achilles heel is a AAA MMO targeted to a mature audience. The Disney stuff might be tolerable for awhile but; it’ll get dumped really fast. Your average MMO gamers is over 30 and is demanding mature content.

I want to be a darker, richer, smarter character. Lol. Where can I sign up?