Is Orr the next "update victim"?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

I’m wondering.

On all recent updates, PvE itself have been “attacked” on several aspects when it comes to farm, from trains to raid events, to gold, dungeon chests, living story, etc… To one level when we hear about PvE on upcoming patches, we instantly know it’s not about new content, such thing is one mirage.

One thing i notice is how Farmers do get treatment of “Hackers” on this game, it must be the group of players that ArenaNet hates most and insists in reduce how rewarding PvE content is.

When i see the direction things are taking here, do you think that there is an “attack plan” on the developers side to reduce how rewarding Orr Maps are?

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

(edited by Max Lexandre.6279)

Posted by: Etien.4601

Etien.4601

Keep quiet. This is the last place…

Drop Acid Not Bombs (Richie Hawtin)

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

They want you spending cash on their GemStore.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

Ok, so the way I see it. Developers look at the big picture of how the game economy is balanced around monetary and non-monetary rewards, how much gold goes in through faucets, how much gold goes out through sinks, and what events are too rewarding/not rewarding enough…..on a game wide level. Players have a tendency to think on a much more personal level that makes measures taken to balance the economy (or in this case, game experience) as a whole seem like a slight against each individual player. Yes, you have to consider that the gem store is a part of the in game economy, the devs certainly do. No, the gems store is not, realistically, the only metric they use to determine the cost of time and reward in game. Remember, sometimes the real answer is not one or the other, it’s often many things all at once.

Posted by: Etien.4601

Etien.4601

Ok, so the way I see it. Developers look at the big picture of how the game economy is balanced around monetary and non-monetary rewards, how much gold goes in through faucets, how much gold goes out through sinks, and what events are too rewarding/not rewarding enough…..on a game wide level. Players have a tendency to think on a much more personal level that makes measures taken to balance the economy (or in this case, game experience) as a whole seem like a slight against each individual player. Yes, you have to consider that the gem store is a part of the in game economy, the devs certainly do. No, the gems store is not, realistically, the only metric they use to determine the cost of time and reward in game. Remember, sometimes the real answer is not one or the other, it’s often many things all at once.

then you should read about occam’s razer. The guy above u is correct. Proof every patch to date.

Drop Acid Not Bombs (Richie Hawtin)

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

They already stated that Champs should only give rewards one a day. There was an exception for the lowbie area but all the lvl 80’s running the champ trains there ruined it.

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

then you should read about occam’s razer. The guy above u is correct. Proof every patch to date.

No one is arguing that they aren’t trying to make money. With that train of thought, you will inevitably be forced to use that logic for every single for-profit organization that states any other motive outside of profit as we don’t have access to internal information concerning incentives. Just sayin.

(edited by nightwulf.1986)

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

“When i see the direction things are taking here, do you think that there is an “attack plan” on the developers side to reduce how rewarding Orr Maps are?”

Not at all. Orr is the intended open world end game. Players are meant to be there at level 80. Players get scaling events that should provide scaled challenge and scaled rewards. The war against the risen is meant to satisfy big armies of players working together to complete events. The problem we are most likely to see with Orr is players migrating to any permanent end game zones that come with the living story.

I’m not why anyone could ever imagine that zergs fighting non-scaling champion mobs in low level zones was intended design. It is no surprise that it was finally fixed, even if it was popular.

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

If their plan is to make us quit the game, they might have succeeded.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Are players fighting over content there?

Posted by: La Goanna.8142

La Goanna.8142

They’re testing us to see how many are willing to take out the credit card and exchange our gems for gold.

The game isn’t exactly P2W yet, but it’s pretty much in Korean grinder territory now with instant converted gold becoming the “quick fix.”

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Max Lexandre.6279

I must agree the game feels more and more “Convert Gems to Gold” assistant fix for the increasing of Grind Times required to achieve the same things. Increasing the game Grind must work to make people spend more on Gem > Gold Conversion.

It’s sad that is being done at the cost of destroy one Rewarding PvE will soon be a mirage from the past.

Asura thing.

Posted by: Xia.3485

Xia.3485

Seems to me the devs have a knee jerk reaction to everything.

- Level 80’s only doing events in cursed shore? Nerf the event spawn time to hell.
- Now they’re in COF P1? Nerf it.
- Orr is empty and the world bosses deserted, lets add a daily reward chest.
- No one doing champion events or events that spawns lots of champions? Add champion bags. Maybe people will go back to ORR and do the temples now?
- They are farming Jormag trash for the champions? Nerf it.
- They’re still in COF P1? Nerf it again by removing shortcuts.
- Now they are farming champs in Queensdale? Nerf all champion bags.
- The train is still toxic in queensdale? convert champs not attached to an event to elites.
- Queensdale train still there? Lets make all champions veterans in starter zones.

Everytime they address something problematic (everyone in orr only, mass farming cof p1, toxic queensdale train) they always implement an overbearing solution that impacts the rest of the game. Seems to me they lack proper analysis and foresight. Heck, look at the price of ascended cloth.. way out of line with other material STILL. The price of silk and linen is ridiculous too.. so predictable as well.

Can’t they do moderate and incremental changes?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

We’ve been called all kinds of names in these forums since day one. They tried to pull the wool over our eyes in the beginning claiming that they support legit farmers but this latest wave of patches proves otherwise, it’s Nov 2012 all over again (and no I don’t mean the announced changes I mean the ghost changes to the game where they even went so far as to break loot for a long time people didn’t get boxes from dungeons that’s how bad it got but for those 9 months farmers were the devil and were the same as gold sellers from China).

In all this time, exactly where have the attacks on open world PVE loot drops and DR actually stopped any of the gold sellers? hmm? Where? because everytime there’s a patch with a glimmer of an increase in population those gold sellers show up and spam. Oh and we’ve given them plenty of alternatives to doing what they are doing.

So why are they doing this really? Because it’s not to stop gold sellers apparently because they’ve been here the entire time!

So let’s recap on the only ways one can get any kind of real rewards in the game. WvW, Eotm, and Dungeoneering. Yep sounds like Play the way you want to play to me!

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I think if every high level player that ran QD Champ Train goes to Orr, Anet’s goals will have been met. Note they did NOT nerf Champ Train rewards any farther, just removed all Champs from Starter Zones. It is a location specific change, not an activity/reward change.

Claiming that PvE is being “attacked” by the Devs is just another massive exaggeration that this forum is famous for….

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

D3 would like to have a word with you as they are the most recent of games to have to giveup the kind of economy/rewards system that we’re seeing here in this title right now. It’s the exact same thing, and they finally lost so many players that they had to get rid of the AH entirely. The same thing will eventually happen here because people will eventually get tired of having to get everything of value direct from the TP with it’s ever increasing prices.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

I think if every high level player that ran QD Champ Train goes to Orr, Anet’s goals will have been met. Note they did NOT nerf Champ Train rewards any farther, just removed all Champs from Starter Zones. It is a location specific change, not an activity/reward change.

Claiming that PvE is being “attacked” by the Devs is just another massive exaggeration that this forum is famous for….

I get that Orr is a lvl 80 zone, but isn’t the whole point of down-leveling in this game to encourage max levels players to play in all the zones, and not just lvl 80 zones?

Posted by: Slowpoke.2749

Slowpoke.2749

They’re testing us to see how many are willing to take out the credit card and exchange our gems for gold.

The game isn’t exactly P2W yet, but it’s pretty much in Korean grinder territory now with instant converted gold becoming the “quick fix.”

This. I can’t even bothered to open the launcher and let it patch. It’s not worth the bandwith. Might as well uninstall. I arrived with such high hopes but now I make sure to deter all my friends from purchasing this garbage.

We might be burned out on WoW but even 10 months of SoO is better than whatever gemstore related snoozefest Anet devs churn out and try to pass off as content just so all the gullible morons log in and purchase the latest pair of bunny slippers or whatever.

I’m sorry to say that I didn’t get my money’s worth. Spending that 40 euros on pizza and beer would have been more satisfying.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Wasn’t Orr nerfed already?

I see no point in going there anymore since Megaservers made those maps overpopulated and farmable temple “uncontest” events trigger next to never.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

The QD train was nerfed to protect the starter zone, not to nerf farming. They have nothing to gain by eliminating farming, they have more to win by people farming, especially when it comes to people buying gems for real money.
Every gem you trade for gold was bought with money. The more gold you make with farming, the more gold you can spend on gems, gems that were originally bought for real money.

And then there is the illegitimate real money traders, the more gold you make, the more gold other players for their gems and the less $ these RMT can charge, making it harder for them to make money with ANet’s server time.

(edited by frans.8092)

Posted by: Curse You.9514

Curse You.9514

I’m wondering.

On all recent updates, PvE itself have been “attacked” on several aspects when it comes to farm, from trains to raid events, to gold, dungeon chests, living story, etc… To one level when we hear about PvE on upcoming patches, we instantly know it’s not about new content, such thing is one mirage.

One thing i notice is how Farmers do get treatment of “Hackers” on this game, it must be the group of players that ArenaNet hates most and insists in reduce how rewarding PvE content is.

When i see the direction things are taking here, do you think that there is an “attack plan” on the developers side to reduce how rewarding Orr Maps are?

If they treated farmers like hackers, then they would be banning them, not just altering things.

As for your question, no; unlike Queensdale and the other “starter” areas, Orr is supposed to be a massive mess of fighting and events.

I don’t know why it’s so hard for people to understand that having a bunch of often rude players running around a starter area, attacking anyone who dares play the game “wrong” is bad for the game as a whole.

Aurora Glade
Curse You – Necromancer | Spolin – Warrior | Cristalyn – Mesmer

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Orr would only be subjects to changes if people started doing annoying things, like when people overfarmed several events in rapid succession, and forced people to fail on purpose to farm champions before they added open world elites.

As long as people play normally – that is doing many events all over the placeas they explore and find them, not imposing made-up rules on others – they will get normal intended rewards and there will be no reasons to address the situation.

If their plan is to make us quit the game, they might have succeeded.

I did not vote for this comment, yet it appeared voted for me.

I suspect people is manipulating these in some way, like adding them as hidden links in 0-size iFrames or something.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I get that Orr is a lvl 80 zone, but isn’t the whole point of down-leveling in this game to encourage max levels players to play in all the zones, and not just lvl 80 zones?

No doubt, but do you seriously consider what transpires around a Champ Train Zerg as “playing” the game? I think the answer to that question is fully answered by what Anet just did with this patch.

The OP specified Orr….I guess I should have stated that if all those that WANT to farm Champs move to NON-starter Areas, their goals would be met. Orr is just one of the options and speculating on what area will be “attacked” next is simply an over-reaction.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: viralthefrog.6130

viralthefrog.6130

I highly doubt it.
If you actually read the patch notes, they eliminated the starter zone trains because new players are learning to be terrible by doing them.
They want players to learn how to use their class, and not how to just target a mob, press 1, sit back, and wait.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

True, but the WHOLE zone not just 5 little pieces of it and ignore the rest.

Posted by: Swim.6830

Swim.6830

They want everyone to play the TP. This is Trade Wars 2 after all…

Zwim Elementalist
Consigliere
The Dragoon Brotherhood

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

They want everyone to play the TP. This is Trade Wars 2 after all…

I thought it was Gem Wars 2

Posted by: Maxite.6102

Maxite.6102

I do not understand why in the hell you would continue to play this game if you really feel the developers are this evil. I suspect most just want to whine but it paints a funny picture.

“This game is horrible! I’m only going to play 6 hours a day instead of 7!”

Valento.9852

I do not understand why in the hell you would continue to play this game if you really feel the developers are this evil. I suspect most just want to whine but it paints a funny picture.

Until something worth playing comes out.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

Orr has already been nerfed as far as loot goes. The average t-6 mat from Heavy Moldy Bags 1 year ago was 1 in 7-8 bags (without MF, at that time we didn’t have Celestial which was touted as the "have it all – damage & magic find, pre-ascended) today it is ( w/300% MF) one in 20 bags. Not to mention the mobs will more likely drop trash bones rather than a bag.

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

Max Lexandre.6279

Well because i’m mostly a PvE player, i feel like i was attacked specially on the last updates on my gamestyle. Things i did before like Do World Bosses with my guildies every day, make organized runs of Wurm Event, became pretty much impossible, with the problems of MegaServer making a nightmare to group up big groups of people, and the boss timings forcing me to play during all day to complete all world bosses.

The biggest example is try to join our guilds Wurm Event is a random lottery of “will you join the right mega-server instance?”, the only thing i wanted is to do things normally like i did before, why are they implementing this nightmares and calling them “features”?

Asura thing.

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

yeah, you’re right. I guess it would be unfair to let players figure out for themselves where they would like to spend their time.

Valento.9852

yeah, you’re right. I guess it would be unfair to let players figure out for themselves where they would like to spend their time.

I introduce you: the cosmetic progression and puzzle driven questlines to obtain various weapon/armor skins throughout zones, being locked to 80s. No wait…

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

It does seem like ANet is out to make in-game gold farming harder in hopes for players to buy more gems. Maybe their gem sales are spiraling downwards? In any case, it’s not a good direction for the game – there needs to be lucrative and viable ways to farm in-game currencies.

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

And now you see the result of cash shops vs subs.

I honestly think if this game was released with a sub – it would have went in a totally different direction.

So tired of the cash grabs and anet.

Such wasted potential with this game.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Valento.9852

And now you see the result of cash shops vs subs.

I honestly think if this game was released with a sub – it would have went in a totally different direction.

So tired of the cash grabs and anet.

Such wasted potential with this game.

ArenaNet developed an awesome game. Pretty fast-paced and cool combat, a stunning art direction, a huge lore background they can work on, but… they simply does NOT know how to design itemisation and economy. We’ve seen it, no more proof needed, just hire someone who can design it better.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Malthurius.6870

Malthurius.6870

What the actual heck…

They’re nerfing farm trains because they’re mindless and not fun. Their existence was never intentional and they do nothing but tunnel vision farm minded players into doing nothing but.

You can still farm for gold, you just have to ‘think’ and ‘communicate’ a little bit more. I want them to do what they did to the queen’s champions to every champion in the game.

Down with the mindless Zerg. Down with zerker stacking. Down with farm trains.

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

What the actual heck…

They’re nerfing farm trains because they’re mindless and not fun. Their existence was never intentional and they do nothing but tunnel vision farm minded players into doing nothing but.

You can still farm for gold, you just have to ‘think’ and ‘communicate’ a little bit more. I want them to do what they did to the queen’s champions to every champion in the game.

The gem shop would like to thank you for your endorsement.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Have you been to Orr recently, some of the events do not spawn any enemies at all, ( bug??? or intention ) Arah pre event is a good one for that example, other events spawn champs that take 2-3 mins to burn down because of scaling and in some events no other enemies spawn,

Don’t forget the stuck events, Plinx was stuck for 2 days, Melandru also gets stuck all the time, and takes hours to despawn/start ( I don’t know if there is timer on this we don’t know about )

I keep seeing people saying, Anet is right to remove loot as it controls the economy yadda yadda, fact is, some people like myself who do not chase legendarys sell all the T6 mats I get on the market, if I and others cannot farm these mats because they are removed as drops, the supply will drop and demand will stay the same or rise, thus ever increasing the costs, which in turn push legendarys higher, which push pre cursors up, which push normal exotics up,

They don’t want people to farm in this game, but they are willing to destroy the ingame economy over it, I see they are now pushing the conversation of GEMS to GOLD on there blog posts, I think that sums up the exact way Anet want this game to go, milk it for all its worth before the exodus.

Sad but very very true, I feel sorry for the dev’s who make the maps/art etc for it to be all ruined by the devs who only want GEM stores, seriously just make the game pay to play already and see how many stay, as they are the ones you want, not the rest of us.

Posted by: DancingMad.8504

DancingMad.8504

Everything is a next “update victim”.

Except you know, the gem store.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

What the actual heck…

“Down with the things that I don’t like, nobody should be able to enjoy the game differently than I do”.

You make a lot of sense.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Max Lexandre.6279

What the actual heck…

That is HERESY!
They on last patch made the game more zerg-friendly than what i ever saw since this game started, the MegaServers did bring tons of people to full maps that caused massive groups of people at the X event, the biggest example is Karka Queen where you already need one decent PC to handle some of the biggest zergs you will ever see on PvE (and PvE isn’t optimized like WvW to deal with zerging).
All other world bosses became one madness of massive zergs of afk auto-attackers, what removed any possible challenge that existed on the big majority of World Bosses on this game.

After this MegaServer madness that caused increasing on Farm Zergs, what they do now is to nerf the loot, instead of deal with the zergs directly?!
One way or the other, Zerging events will still the best way to farm the game as they still do not reward players for playing on parties (like 5 players groups) on events comparing to what you get with zergs as the events scale.

Don’t say me they don’t want zergs, the way the deal with rewarding player experience on PvE is what caused them on the first place.

Asura thing.

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

I wanted to support the game by buying expansions, but I’ve reached the point where I’m no longer sure if I would buy one because I wanted an expansion in order to avoid the game becoming more and more gem store oriented and I doubt they will change that even after releasing one.

Even if they would promise no more gear tiers, no ever increasing grind, and bringing back the whole manifesto I don’t know if I could trust their words anymore. :S

I feel torn :S

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

Posted by: Duke Darkwood.4237

Duke Darkwood.4237

And:

The gem shop would like to thank you for your endorsement.

These two posts baffle me. How is the gem shop the opposite of the zerg? Why does shutting the zerg down make it “necessary”? For that matter, HOW does it make it necessary!?

It certainly isn’t any Gem-bought item, so you must be referring to “Convert Gems To Gold”…. but still, why is that necessary? This game is RAINING GOLD down on us. Just play content. Money will happen. It will flow into your wallet. Copper piles up into silver, silver piles up into gold, and gold accrues more and more over time. It doesn’t matter what you do – champions, dungeons, WvW, or even just going out for a walk and killing things. You GET rewarded.

I only ever buy gems when I want to buy something that costs gems. Mostly, character slot/bank tab expansion, and cosmetic stuff (less of the latter since they killed town clothes, though).

A portion of players want money faster than everyone else. Why, I don’t know. I doubt it’s a majority – I think the majority are in WvW and sPvP, personally. But whatever this portion actually amounts to, it is causing an influx of gold into the system that is inflating the TP costs of, hold on, wait a sec,…. everything. The more gold that gets added, the less that gold is worth. The things we’re buying aren’t becoming more valuable; rather the reverse – gold is becoming less valuable! (This is also why it takes more and more gold to get the same amount of gems.)

Perhaps prices will actually, at long last, come down some, with the zerg gone. Give it time for entries to adjust to the new reality, and I think at least some things WILL come down. A little.

But back to the case that this game is going “pay to win” – it’s not. CLaims that it does are missing the point of what pay to win IS. The ability to gain an exclusive advantage over other players by spending cash. This, at best, is going to be enough to get people some exotics (as ascended gear is both unnecessary outside Fractals AND can’t be traded), and they still have to earn the levels to be able to wear them. And considering you can get exotics with gold, karma, crafting, dungeon tokens, Badges of Honor, or even Laurels (with a degree of randomness, though), anyone who hits level 80 will surely have SOME method of affording exotic gear to wear. The “unfair advantage” aspect falls completely flat; even if there’s a convenience factor, it’s not exactly a disproportionate one.

Posted by: Random Weirdness.6750

Random Weirdness.6750

Them nerfing farms isn’t new to Anet. They always did that in GW1. If something was thought to be hurting the economy somehow, they figured a way to remove said farm.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

They want you spending cash on their GemStore.

You didn’t hear? They will be ending the game soon and commercializing the gem store, look for a gem use card at your local 7-11 and on ebay.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Queensdale was nerfed because it’s a starter zone and the zergfest kind of distracted players from learning how to play the game with skill (people say Anet said that you’ll be able to play “how you want to” but they’re wrong, it’s more of “play however you want to use your skills” – and I mean skills not as the little icons you click on your skillbar, but your own abilities to read and adapt to situations).

Orr is a higher level zone and is meant to be more rewarding because of such.

I doubt that they’ll touch Orr anymore unless things are too rewarding (aka exploitive or just plain broken). They only nerfed the Frostgorge Train (but not kill it) because of the issues around Claw of Jormag’s spawn – though that’s no longer an issue thanks to Megaservers so I’m not quite sure they really felt the need to do such.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Iluth.6875

Iluth.6875

Speaking for myself, and I can’t say whether it’s bugs or intentional, but Orr feels different already after this patch. I’m finding kill credit very random, despite dropping multiple aoe crits on a group of mobs, I’m only getting credit for 1-2 of the kills since the patch.

Additionally, it feels like the general drop rate for loot is lower. I don’t think I’ve ever killed 15 mobs without a drop before, but that happened today in Cursed Shore right after zoning in, and I surely didn’t have RI since I was in the pavillion for the previous few hours.

If Anet is trying to get rid of all the crap off the TP, they’ll have to modify crafting recipes accordingly.

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

Well, I guess I was wrong about Orr, you don’t even get events acknowledged now.