Is Thief The "Golden Child" Class?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

for the rest….
I can t really discuss with someone thinking that is better UP in PvP and OP in PvE rather than balanced in both :|..

I just hope warrior will be the worst in PvE and the best in PvP one day….

Looks like you are going with a straw man there as no one has suggested that, if they have and i’ve missed it then it is certainly not the case I am advocating at all.

(edited by Fenrir.3609)

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

OP doesn’t know what he’s talking about. I run several different classes, and Thief is without a doubt the weakest in general with the highest number of random, nonsensical problems like a broken downed state and totally kitten weapon sets.

They are arguably among the worst classes in the game for everything except WvW. Even then, they are only ‘good’ with very specific builds that emphasize cheap ambush-burst-escape tactics and can usually be shut down pretty effectively by good players or any focus fire at all.

Like one of the posters above said, they are just poorly designed. Combat stealth makes them OP in specific situations, and balancing against that leaves them feeling like a poor man’s warrior the majority of the time.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Posted by: Benji.9203

Benji.9203

IMO the golden children are guardians and mesmers not because they get special treatment or anything like that but because they seem to be the most finished classes. Every other class needs reworking/fine tuning.

Posted by: deviller.9135

deviller.9135

At first I think thief is a golden class, but after making one and use it in PvP and see all their trait:

Thief is a class which badly designed. Almost all traits based on stealth. You get this if you go into stealth, you get that if you go into stealth, and so on. This makes nerfing thief is very hard job compared to other class. This also makes thief class only has few diversity in their build. Unless Anet make major change to this class, this class will be OP (stealth is OP anyway).

(I like rogue class in WoW, you dont need that many stealth (only 2 or 3), but you still feared by other class. This due to rogue class action based on combo and cripple enemy to the ground. I think thief class should be like this. 1 time long stealth out of combat, 1 time emergency stealth inside of combat. When you fight, you do basilliks venom, blind again and again, immobilize, while back hitting for extra damage and crit.)

(edited by deviller.9135)

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

As stated by others, NO the thief is not the golden child, that would be the warrior. That should be plainly obvious through reading patch notes. Thieves are pistol-whipped regularly; warriors not so much.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Culling

Now it is my understanding that, this limitation is placed on the number of characters that are rendered within your visible range. Which means, you will see the dot of everyone on your map (on your side). Those that are in your party are a different shade and size dot. I only see his party which is comprised of 2 mesmer and 3 thieves in total. lol.

Posted by: Tuluum.9638

Tuluum.9638

Would have to agree that warrior is the golden one.

I think it says something that thieves have been nerfed repeatedly and are still one of the most effective classes if used properly.

I think the initiative system is fine, even if it deviates from the standard set for every other class.

IMO, the issue is that stealth is a crutch. But, much like after you break your leg, it is entirely necessary in the current state for thief. I think the stealth mechanic itself should complement the profession, and not be the sole “go-to” for everything from offense to defense to griefing to ganking.

I personally think that the mechanic should not be invisible, but should greatly distort the image of the player character so it is next to impossible to see if hiding in the shadows, or in the brush, etc. Then all of a sudden, the most versatile ability in the game (stealth) would actually take skill to use (as it should be). This would need to be compensated in other areas though, and I think reverting back some previous nerfs would be acceptable at that point. I would even be ok with some buffs to damage, since it would take actual skill to set up the “thief combo” (queue CnD->Mug->BS->HS until dead).

edit: You wont hear me say they are OP as a profession, but the current implementation of stealth is definitely OP (imo, of course). Fighting a perma stealth thief, or really any thief, generally involves swiping at the air mindlessly and spamming AoE. It works, but I feel it greatly diminishes the enjoyment of engaging a thief. Generally speaking, even if I know I will win the fight, I avoid thieves at all costs. They are straight up annoying to fight, win or lose.

Henosis [ONE]
06-04-13
NEVER FORGET

(edited by Tuluum.9638)

Posted by: Zelthios.5902

Zelthios.5902

The stealth and built in teleportation abilitys the thief has, wouldn’t bother me in the slightest, if it didn’t also have the ability to do the highest burst damage in the shortest space of time…

1v1 the thief aka assassin owns every other class…

The only people who defend thiefs main one and there are ALOT of players who main thieves…

to be honest a thief can’t 1v1 my necro you just need to know how to counter their burst aka become a juggernaut

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

What class are you that you’re being burst down by a Thief? Because the only classes that are burst down by thieves are either in full berserker or are other thieves. If you refuse to wear toughness then you kind of lose any right to complain when you’re killed by burst regardless of the class it’s coming from.

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

I don’t think any class should be able to kill you in 2-3 hits, where the only prerequisite to such a kill is that they get in melee range of you. And then when they somehow fail to kill you, they are able to go invisible most, if not all, of the time. No class should be able to have such amazing offensive and defensive power.

I spent my first few months of casual WvW play getting instantly killed by thieves. Now, as a soldier’s statted mesmer, I’ve learned the tricks to avoid their burst. However I can still never kill them, as they just shadowstep and stealth away.

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

Zelthios.5902

I don’t think any class should be able to kill you in 2-3 hits, where the only prerequisite to such a kill is that they get in melee range of you. And then when they somehow fail to kill you, they are able to go invisible most, if not all, of the time. No class should be able to have such amazing offensive and defensive power.

I spent my first few months of casual WvW play getting instantly killed by thieves. Now, as a soldier’s statted mesmer, I’ve learned the tricks to avoid their burst. However I can still never kill them, as they just shadowstep and stealth away.

If they run away that means you won.

Posted by: Rusha.4725

Rusha.4725

Check this out screened 20 mins ago. 18,7k damage from two hits.
My character is high as kitten after…

Attachments:

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

This thread is hilarious.

Every pve player’’LOL U MAD ITS WARRIOR THAT IS GOLDEN FAVORED CLASS THAT EVERY DEV PLAYS IN BATHROOM LOL U SERIOUS?’’

And every WvW player ‘’YEAH ITS THIEF, WITH THAT STEALTH THEY CAN FIGHT 10 PEOPLE AND STILL SURVIVE, STEALTH IS BROKEN THEY LIKE NINJAS OF THE NIGHT’’

I wonder if people in this thread even understand that the two sides are talking about two different things entirely

Dont think they do… I could give 2 kittens about pvp really. War is god mode in pve and thief is well meh….

Roles are reversed in pvp, lol

Zelthios.5902

Check this out screened 20 mins ago. 18,7k damage from two hits.
My character is high as kitten after…

you must be made of paper because I barely get crit for 5k on my necro

Posted by: JeroenXP.5364

JeroenXP.5364

I get demolished on my support ele as well even with all the buffs on me. Stealth is the biggest issue since a thief can make an mistake and survive yet another day. And imo stealth classes should never do insane burst dmg, that’s just broken beyond belief for something you can’t most of the time not even see comming.

Kemy Support ele – Kesia Berserker War – Miruto Wolfhowl Berserker ranger:
Sakurashi Tank Mesmer – Cutie Pewpie Grenadier Engineer – Neesa Misaki Support Guard:
[Underworld]

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

This thread is hilarious.

Every pve player’’LOL U MAD ITS WARRIOR THAT IS GOLDEN FAVORED CLASS THAT EVERY DEV PLAYS IN BATHROOM LOL U SERIOUS?’’

And every WvW player ‘’YEAH ITS THIEF, WITH THAT STEALTH THEY CAN FIGHT 10 PEOPLE AND STILL SURVIVE, STEALTH IS BROKEN THEY LIKE NINJAS OF THE NIGHT’’

I wonder if people in this thread even understand that the two sides are talking about two different things entirely

You misunderstand. It’s not how effective they are in pve/wvw (although that is also a factor). It’s more the fact that for every patch that comes along, other classes gets nerfed to oblivion while warriors get buffed each and every time.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Hrithmus.2583

Hrithmus.2583

Why is everyone taking this guy / girl so serious??? O.O

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

Warriors are the “Golden Child” class. Both devs in charge of balance main on a Warrior.