in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

impossible to do group events
thats all what i have to say

It depends on:

Server, if it’s low population
Time, if it’s prime time for the chosen server or not
Zone, some mid-level zones don’t have as many people as lower and higher level zones, others are just empty, for example Southsun, because it doesn’t offer anything interesting
and of course it depends on the event, some events will never be done (like the Eye of Zhaitan in Malchor’s Leap) even when 20000 players are on the zone, they are not rewarding enough. People avoid some events because
a) they are harder than others, why do an event and risk death when you can do an event spamming 1?
b) they offer worse rewards, let’s face it, the only events that are worth doing are those that offer a big reward chest in the end, or those that have a milion mobs spawn, regular veterans/champions aren’t worth the time

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

It’s strange, sometimes Lions Arch is in overflow, but when I enter there I see it quite empty, it’s not compared as it was in the first months of the game.

O_o.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

It’s strange, sometimes Lions Arch is in overflow, but when I enter there I see it quite empty, it’s not compared as it was in the first months of the game.

O_o.

That’s culling….

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Didn’t Colin “Everlasting Smile” Johanson say in a recent interview that the current player population was higher than they had expected?

Anything but dead.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

O_o.

That’s culling….

/hugs

Thank you, finally someone mentioned the name of the evil beast that most commonly leads to this misconception.

Irony…. xD

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Half hour queue to get into any WvW borderland last night… 10PM on a Sunday night.

Dead she is not.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

Was in WvW today, all I can say is if GW2 is dead … there be a whole lotta zombies kicking it in WvW.

GW2 isn’t dead, but yes there are many areas of GW2 that are “quiet” and if we are to believe some of the words coming from recent publicity then this next patch, along with patches in feb/march, should address that issue.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: damny.9342

damny.9342

impossible to do group events
thats all what i have to say

A lot of that is just because they’re not worth it. The people are still there but they’re farming somewhere else.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Hardly. It is the fastest growing MMO ever made.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

I think it all depends which server your on, I was on Fissure of Woe, probably one of the most unpopulated servers, and yes it was dead.

I have just moved to Desolation, which is between Vrey High and Full, and what a difference, plenty of people and lots going on in the PvE world. (And as of last night, leading in WvW).

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

(edited by Solid Gold.9310)

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: ImTasty.2163

ImTasty.2163

Gosh how I am tired of seeing people ask this question…
Short answer: No. Long Answer: It really isn’t.

Darn you sir. I was going to post this yet you beat me to it. Good show.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

Dead game, literally no subs.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Cappy.2786

Cappy.2786

No,just no.
/chars

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

If this game is dead, there is only one MMO that is alive. It’s just silly.

The only MMOs I can recall truly dying are City of Heroes (after years) and FFXIV (after weeks).

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Ruprect.7260

Ruprect.7260

This game is far from dead but it may be after the patch today. Dungeons will no longer be able to be pugged except for maybe CoF path1. I cant even imagine the qq this week when you can no longer zzombie run to complete some of the broken content in these dungeons.

Ruprect – [DIS] Dissentient
Mesmer/Elementalist/Guardian/Necromancer/Warrior
[TC] Tarnished Coast

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

First, let me address one of the issues that people look at when they ask is this game dead. The lack of players in open world can make some feel that there is no one playing. Many a time I have been wondering around and have seen no-one, but to my surprise when I yell out a group event in map chat, most times people turn up from seemingly no where. Part of the problem is that alot of this game is soloable so people will often play by themselves when it comes to open world pve. Add to this that some areas are more profitable than others then you are certainly going to find some areas less populated than others.

Secondly, raiding. While I can see “raiding” as being yet another way to obtain exotic or unique items, it will ultimately add to the issue of lower population in open world as people stick to their raiding parties avoiding anything not to do with the raid (if in open world).

Thirdly, game needs more content … what the kittens … I have over 1600 hours logged into this game, sure its less that some other but I can always find something to do. From levelling to obtaining resources, to killing someone from another server, to getting some achievements done, I have always found something to do. If you are finding yourself burnt out on some content, try something else, mix it up a little. Variety is what Guild Wars 2 offers, and if you play with that in mind, you wont get burnt out on content.

And finally, recently ArenaNet publicised that the active population is growing each day, not just the amount of accounts signed up, but the amount of people actually playing each day has grown since launch and continues to grow. For a game 5 months in this is a good thing, it shows people are not only remaining interested, but more and more people are interested in the game too (probably through word of mouth).

The game is not dead, it only appears that way because the content has people congregating in rewarding areas, and avoiding the low reward areas.

(edited by wildcode.5403)

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

dead? no by far! Today I played in Kessex Hills, quite a few hours. Did some champion bosses and we always were at least 3-5 people. Totally fine.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Vermillion Hawk.9037

Vermillion Hawk.9037

It’s sad that this thread still exists. Is the game dying? No, but what is dying is the tightly-knit community which has gathered in this forum, united by their hatred towards this game for shattering their overzealous expectations, and slowly withering away as they each take turns convincing each other that the game is finally slain.

Unfortunately, in this case they can’t die soon enough.

Grand Master of The Knights Hospitaller [STJ]
Isle of Janthir – Sylvari Mesmer – Alexandre Le Grande

(edited by Vermillion Hawk.9037)

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Nevarre.2179

Nevarre.2179

The game is not dead, people keep comparing it to launch week the when zones were packed at the same time due to the massive wave of new characters. Now everyone has spread out across Tyria. And yes, I am always thrown in the overflow in LA on the Henge of Denravi server.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Depends on your definition of dead.

It’s pretty clear that there’s been a lot of movement due to low server populations on various servers.
The truth is though, we don’t know how many exactly. People who say that most servers are doing well are just making assumptions…just like people who would say most are not doing well. We just don’t know.

Also, GW2 doesn’t have a sub. So you can’t make calculations based on that. As indicated the servers being heavy or full don’t mean actual player activity by itself.

We can say that there are a number of servers that are doing poor as far as population is concerned. The guild I was in before I quit, I still have contact with and they just moved last week because their server was pretty low on population.

Anet needs income. That makes the game successful from their financial point of view. But part of that success is there being people online to play with. Not having a sub though only means it’s easier to pull people in, but it’s also easier to leave after. The game still has to be good enough for you to keep playing.

I hope the OP had a chance to move server as today is the last day of free transfers if I believe correctly.

Is the game dead on some or more servers? I think so. Is the game dead as a whole? Obviously not, but the problem probably lies in the PvE area.

There are a number of dead servers by now but the busier ones tend to revolve more around FotM and WvW. Perhaps they should’ve never made such a big persistent world, if they were going to corral everyone into a few instances anyways.

I would suspect there are still quite a few players, what I don’t know if there are more new players come than players leaving. For me, a game dying means that you lose more players than you gain consistently. How would anyone here truly know if that was or wasn’t the case?

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

Magumma has been on fire, way more people in all zones then I have seen since I started in October.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Torgrim.3642

Torgrim.3642

Much more people around now than few months back, so no It’s not dead Jim.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

Yep, ArenaNet sold their three million units and are packing it up. The servers go down next week, and development on GW3 will commence shortly. Suggestions for new classes, anyone? I’ve really got my hopes up for a Mathemagician.

They aren’t remaking Final Fantasy Tactics.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: exocet.6308

exocet.6308

Not dead. But the population did fall down to the same level of most well populated MMO’s – RIFT, SWTOR, LOTRO etc.

However it is a new MMO in a sense that not much got carried over from GW1, but it isn’t an expansion so it makes sense.

My point I guess is that it’s a new take on the genre and/or franchise with a few fresh innovations, it will grow, eventually.

It’s not dead and nor is it very much alive. Please don’t bash me for what I said, take it like a mature person.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Hands down the liveliest playerbase I’ve ever seen in an MMO. 5 months after launch and I’ve yet to login without being shuffled off to an overflow server.

Some zones are quieter than others naturally, people congregate in the areas with the greatest rewards. But otherwise the game is bustling with activity – it’s quite astonishing!

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Last night I was in the Diessa Plateau when I came across the giant. I saw no one around and thought to myself , “Let’s see what happens”. Before long I was joined by another player, then another and another and another. Eventually, by the time the giant was killed there was literraly a swarm of players around.

This type of experience is not unusual for me in most areas. There are lots of folks out and about, you just don’t see them because the areas are so large. Make no mistake, there are lots of people out there.

It’s my opinion that the game is not dead.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Sidekick.2509

Sidekick.2509

I think you may be used to the old school type MMOs which have quest hubs with players gathered around those hubs. Due to the dynamic nature of GW2 it works much differently.

I can be standing in an area and it looks deserted, like this:

http://i.imgur.com/Kvyub.jpg

Ten minutes later an event spawns and all kitten breaks loose:

http://i.imgur.com/fm9ZE.jpg

After the event everyone dissapates to whatever they were doing before the event and it looks just as deserted as it did before the event.

Go to any of the large meta events with the big chests. You will see tons of people.

Pic 1: “Wtf is nukes?”

Pic 2: " HOLY @#$% HOLY @#$% HOLY @#$%!!!"

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I don’t know about you guys, but when I’m in PvE and there’s nobody around to help complete a group event I generally throw on my commander’s icon, send out a map-wide message, and within a matter of minutes I have more than enough people there to help me. The maps are just really big so it’s rare to stumble across players when everyone is constantly on the move.

As for Lion’s Arch, if you have to go into overflow it means that your server’s LA is full. Hence it’s not empty. Culling just hates you.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Gilgamesh.2561

Gilgamesh.2561

I hopped on today after a 2 month or so break from the game. I was curious about the new dungeon and wanted to try it out. I arrived in Lions Arch only to find it was for the most part, completely empty. I checked a few more places and also heart of the mists. Do people just not play this game anymore? Or am I missing something?

“I went to the grocery store at 5AM. It was completely empty. Do people not go shopping anymore?”

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

I stopped shopping a while ago. The stores were either empty or everyone was zerging for sales. Then they started introducing new items to the store and I knew they were just trying to get more money from me and I thought “How greedy of them”.

Then the started accepting coupons and the grind to find them was just too much. Don’t get me started on those little cards with the bar codes they hand out. They are just another example of how unfriendly they are to casual shoppers and constantly force us to chase tier progression.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Yes the game is all but dead. There should be a population to be with at all times to do stuff with. That is the point of an mmo regardless of time or location you are to the server. If there arent people to play with you dont play – unlike the grocery store which is there to sell you stuff and why walmart is open 24 hours.

The population is about 350-375000 right now down from 3 million. what are they going to say? Well we killed the game faster than Tor with our decisions. No you spin it to fastest selling mmo – called slight of hand.
Better still have more than we expected well ya you expected 25000 people well done.
Once again so you expect them to tell the truth? Up till the last hour before Tor announced it lost over a million Subs Devs stated there was not a loss in subs.

I was on maguuma sorry but outside of 7-11pm dead. 2 people doing plinx and SpvP all but dead. The only reason people saw qs is cause they are in top two tiers so they are fibbing.
The game is in serious trouble and with a loss of retention worse than tor they need to get things together fast.
I wish them luck but when my guild spent the entire weekend talking about elder scrolls I think there is a huge issue with GW2 and its population.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Akumu.7238

Akumu.7238

Very few MMOs “die”. There is usually always a hardcore(really enjoy it) base that prevents its death. This is looking at it from a sub model. B2P/F2P makes it even harder for a game to “die”.

This is almost always a very pointless question.

I don’t wanna live a thousand years. If I just live through today, that’ll be enough.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

Nah. This game is far from dead. I keep seeing and playing with people each day in the weekend in Queensdale and other starting zones. Also, I’ve been seeing alot of activity in LA. So yes, the game is far from being dead.

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Ghanto.9784

Ghanto.9784

On TC, you got a sizable number of people who just hang out every evening at various places and role-play, apparently for kicks.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Goldrock.9076

Goldrock.9076

Lol dead like more than half the servers are full FULL all the time. that and if guildwars1 is alive still gw2 is far from ever dien its f2p also and alot of us relize that so we dont spend 24/7 in game we play other games as well. Troll thread imo.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Nibiru.1423

Nibiru.1423

Simple answer, no, why look at my friends list (online now about 100 players) 60% of them are in dungeons/fractals, 20% in WvW or PvP. That leave 20% of my friends scattered over a huge game, im betting this is the same for most people.

You dont see them becuase they are in instances.

Magic Find + Common Sense + Consideration = Happy Party + Nice Loot