Is it only GW1 players that find GW2 boring?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: I Fuzion I.2546

I Fuzion I.2546

Its simple..

Some people like Donkey kong, others pokermon..

Some people liked Power rangers, Others preferred Teenage mutant hero turtles..

We all like diffrent things.. For me… Which is all that i care about, I dont enjoy it as much as i did gw1.. The game feels like its the offspring of a Guildwars 1, and a World of Warcraft breeding programme.. Does that make it a bad game? to some yes.. to me.. no..

It means that i dont enjoy it on the same wave length as guildwars 1. I Really didnt like world of warcraft it was horrible.. This game like i said, is a crossbread so i dont enjoy it but dont dislike it..

Any hardcore GW1 player who hated WOW.. im sure will feel not as enthusiastic about this game, as others do.. Everyone who played guildwars1 casually with a bit of wow.. I understand why your not complaining.

Why do we make threads like this then… If you dont know, you will never know.. Were hoping Anet will listen to its Old, Beloved fan base, and make changes.. its a new game.. just like Guildwars 1 was when i brought it.. They slowly adepted it so everyone was happy..

I played 5 years of Hero’s acent, I loved it.. What has GW2 got that i can play similiar to that? Or GVG infact?? Thats why we come on and people make threads like this.. To share our opinion with ANET.. Everyone who had WOW, or PVE in guildwars 1 has little to complain about… You can jump, you can graft all day for skins, you can run around and raid with huge zergs in pvp, you can do dungeons, you drop loot.. its a win win for you.. But Anet seems to have forgotten about a group of the hardcore players, and thats us from PVP…

If im wrong… Why has Guildwars 1 got guild (im currently there) still competing in MAT’s and playing GVG? HA is dead granted (as less people play ti you have no chance to get to the Hall of Hero’s ) But theres over 200 Guilds that still compete in the ladder.. Is it because they cant afford to buy GW2? nope.? 90% of people own it… Its because GW2 forgot about pvp and looked at what people from other franchises liked.. Business is a dog eat dog world, and the intent of this game was to keep there fanbase, but entise from other game types aswell. Sadly i think a little too much focus was put on trying to grow there fanbase than keep there current one.. Ill continue to play, and stick with anet, as i hope they do the right thing and listen to us.

Posted by: Aerwyna.2541

Aerwyna.2541

Eh, I played GW1, all expansions with my necro and I still find GW2 appealing. Played it since Beta. BUT that is my opinion. Everyone is different. I think they did a wonderful job with both games.

Renoria Blackheart loves her kitty Kronos. <3
Proud member of the Blackgate community.

I Fuzion I.2546

Aerwyna, did you ever play GVG or HA? Do you not think there is nothing in comparisson to Fissure of woe or Underworld? (i dont ask to be a idoit im just curious, sometimes things read wrong)

There were four sides to guildwars,

PVP
PVE
PVPVE (who liked both pvp and pve)
NONE You hated it.

I was PVPVE.. Guild wars 2 is nearly there but at the same time, so far.., im not interested in WVWVW which required me to bunch up with the largest number.. and find the richest guy on the team to command me to sure death with his command button.. Or even worse.. to not have a huge group and run around getting destroyed by zergs… then having to spend countless coin on repairing.

If i played mainly PVE i could totally understand people enjoying the game, it is a nice game, i think a little on the dark side “if you know what i mean” (world of…) but still its nice..

and the players that hate the game.. well there the PVP community that got left behind when anet forgot to ask them anything… PVP asked for monks, PVP asked for HA, PVP asked for GVG PVP got none of them things.. I know a game is about change, but look at black ops, look at halo.. its a sequel, they keep the trait.. Guildwars threw EVERYTHING about pvp out.. and started from fresh…. which meant many hate it, many love it.. when they could have kept both communities happy by just listening.

(edited by I Fuzion I.2546)

Posted by: Nayru.3947

Nayru.3947

GW1 since ‘05. I have several GWAMM’s and my GW1 friends also all have GWAMMs’. None of them play GW2 any more, including myself.

All the GW1 people I know find GW2 boring. One of many reasons is that GW2 is nothing like GW1, in any way, at all. (Yes, it’s a sequel, it’s supposed to feel like its predecessor.) And of course, no variation in builds and lack of content – probably the #1 reason.

However, even though it’s not like GW1, it’s still just boring in general.

I went back to GW1 months ago. Of course I tried GW2, it’s just horrible imo. GW1 is rapidly becoming a lot more active, seems a lot of people are going back.

In my opinion, the only improvement in GW2 was that you can scroll on the world map.

Posted by: Czar Peter.7961

Czar Peter.7961

GW1 is superior to GW2 in all respects except:
-Graphics
-You can jump
-WvW

Engineer – Thief – Warrior

Posted by: ShadowGryphon.6257

ShadowGryphon.6257

Is it only GW1 players that find GW2 boring

I am a GW1 player, and I do not find GW2 boring.
Please speak ONLY for yourself.

If someone is talking behind your back… Fart.
North Alabama Guild Wars Players
http://tinyurl.com/y9hj2h4b

Posted by: riddleguy.9738

riddleguy.9738

It is not only GW1 players that find GW2 boring..i know that other do, However, a lot of people love and enjoy GW2. I along with most of my guildies in my main guild came from GW1 and we love GW2!

Im pleased with the speed that arenanet is releasing new content for the game….since october they have been releasing new content once a month. Im looking forward to finding out what they release next…through i hate being in the dark,im sure arenanet will be giving us details about whats to come next week or tommorow.

Posted by: Viledoom.7203

Viledoom.7203

I played Guild Wars 1 for years and I’m thoroughly enjoying Guild Wars 2.

The weird thing I find now, is when I load Guild Wars 1 and it feels odd that I can’t jump. :p

Posted by: Gorwe.9672

Gorwe.9672

I am from GW1 and I’d say that I hate GW2. I could be made to love since love and hate are differing sides of the same coin. If they got their stuff together and implemented Heroes(just 1 is ok!), better writting, more interesting skills and, get this!, more loot! Loot is basically nonexistant in GW2! What do they think GW2 is? An fps? An RTS? It is a Bloody MMO!!! You must have loot!

For what it is now, I’d buy it only if it costed below 20 Dollars. Or that amount max. It is really Light on actual RPG mechanisms and they are in the same boat with MMO mechanisms as well? So in which genre does this game belong???? xycbbn genre? Grind-o-rama genre? Genre of broken promises? Oh Yeah! It’s the last…

Posted by: Kromsin.6359

Kromsin.6359

I get bored of every mmorpg I’ve played. Eq and Wow held my attention the longest.

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

Combat may be ‘fun’ or rather, active but it IS boring with extremely limited skills.. can’t deny that.

I do not agree on the premise that I actually use all 10 skills on my bar plus profession mechanic skills, alternate weapon kit, forms and the like. All of those skills have a use in the correct situation.

Compare to any other MMO where you just spam fireball. Oh yea there’s an optimal routine, but just spamming fireball gets you everywhere. WoW fans called GW1 the 8-skill game. The sad fact being that WoW is pretty much a 1-skill game regardless of how cluttered your screen is.

You must not have played WoW. At all. On every class I had on WoW, I had 4 skill bars filled to the brim with skills, trinkets, and items. I made regular use of all of them.

On GW2, I frequently use 1 or 2 abilities with a few of my 6-10 skills being used if the situation actually calls for it.

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Combat may be ‘fun’ or rather, active but it IS boring with extremely limited skills.. can’t deny that.

I do not agree on the premise that I actually use all 10 skills on my bar plus profession mechanic skills, alternate weapon kit, forms and the like. All of those skills have a use in the correct situation.

Compare to any other MMO where you just spam fireball. Oh yea there’s an optimal routine, but just spamming fireball gets you everywhere. WoW fans called GW1 the 8-skill game. The sad fact being that WoW is pretty much a 1-skill game regardless of how cluttered your screen is.

You must not have played WoW. At all. On every class I had on WoW, I had 4 skill bars filled to the brim with skills, trinkets, and items. I made regular use of all of them.

On GW2, I frequently use 1 or 2 abilities with a few of my 6-10 skills being used if the situation actually calls for it.

I mean no offense, but I do find myself using ALL my skills quite regularly, as my builds often benefit from using all of them, even the less used Elite when at dire straits. And that with a Guardian, which is not the most complex/hard to play class at all. I am not negating your 1 or 2 abilities claim, I just believe you either may be exaggerating to make your point, or plainly not taking advantage of all the options/traits/skill combinations you are being offered.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

I’ve never played GW1.

I see all flash and promises, no substance to this game.

I see the potential, but I have no idea what the devs are thinking other than they are in full panic mode.

It’s slowly become another dungeon grind fest with a few jumping puzzles (waste of development resources,) and flawed open world PvP on the side.

Where is our awesome open world DE’s with REAL rewards??

Oh, and LEGENDARY QUESTS, not hey look, you have 3000gold or 1000 hours to spend grinding and playing the TP, here is a RUSHED legendary weapon design for you (minus a few of them – I want to see a dev look me in the eye and tell me Bitfrost is finished, for example.)

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

The thing is, it is so with 99% of the player you HEAR about… but a quite common known fact is also than 99% of the players or so that talk about games a lot are those that dont enjoy/have issued with it, making it often seem a LOT worse than it is in fact

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Prior to GW2 I had never played an MMO. I don’t find GW2 boring at all. Put that one on the “never played an MMO before, but doesn’t find GW2 boring” tally.

Posted by: InTraining.4712

InTraining.4712

Yes but do you know what the difference is? in gw1 you can choose all the skills not just the last 5 that you can activate once per minute so that your build is mainly based on the weapon skills.

The difference is exactly that. 99% of players couldn’t put together a decent synergized build even with a pistal to their head. How many of you actually came up with basic things like SF+Gaze or lich form BOTM spam? How many invented the 55 monk without going to gwpvx or similar websites? How many of you figured out iway on your own? How many of you create an UWSC on own brain power?

The problem here is that with a game based on high synergy, only the best builds are used religiously. By forcing a base level of synergy with the healing and weapon rquirements, you are actually allowing MORE viable builds into the game, even though there’s less overall builds. Build variety in GW2 is vastly higher than GW1 in practice, regardless of whatever theorycraft might say otherwise.

Guild Wars 1 PvP was miles ahead of what Guild Wars 2 PvP is, especially at launch. Before you think “Who are you to think you qualify an opinion?”, I have some decent accomplishments under my belt. I was on the team that pioneered Blood spike, and popularized Ranger spike and balanced spike, along with Famous Big Stick, Look Im P V P, Ward Against Newbs, and Wallace Fourty Five. Also, whenever Taiwan was added to the pool of countries for HoH, we made a Taiwanese guild and became the first group in Guild Wars history to win and hold HoH for Taiwan. Lastly, I was on the Forsaken Sanctuary HoH team the night we held for 45 games straight. I played against and alongside the golden age of PvPers. EvIL, WM, iQ, Te, Rift, EW, FoSa, RenO, EnS, Vibe, etc.

Guild Wars 1 PvP required a level of communication, teamwork, and class specific knowledge and manipulation that hasn’t been rivaled since, and probably never will be. In the time of Prophecies up to slightly after Factions release, Guild Wars had the best PvP I’ve ever seen in any game. By comparison, Guild Wars 2 falls completely flat. It’s slightly entertaining for a bit, sure, but it’s nothing special or even challenging. The lackluster PvP combined with the weak longevity of the PvE makes for a game that’s fun to play for a moment, but ultimately fails to have any player retention. I’ve played Guild Wars 1 since about two weeks after release, and it’s still fun to do some FoW, UW, or SoO. Guild Wars 2, on the other hand, leaves me completely bored every single time I log in. I had a blast leveling up and getting my gear, but then it was like….now what? Gear is maxed, no PvE end game, and PvP is fun for a few matches. No reason to play anymore.

I’m like a lot of others here—periodically browsing the forums in hopes that some game saving content updates will be made. I really and truly hope this happens someday.

(edited by InTraining.4712)

Posted by: Banzai.5681

Banzai.5681

Hmm. I played GW1 but don’t find GW2 boring. Its not a perfect game, but its entertaining nonetheless. I do have issues with 1 thing in particular though. This one extremely nagging thing. Traherne, oh god he sounds like he’s reading most of the time, and without intonation. He sounds like my old math professor. What is it about scholar types and speaking in a droning montone?

Posted by: amrothx.4136

amrothx.4136

Mike O’Brien: " Guild Wars 2 takes everything you love about Guild Wars 1 and puts it into a persistent world that’s got more active combat, a fully-branching, personalized storyline, a new event system to get people playing together, and still no monthly fees."

What I loved in GW1 but is not in GW2:
- no grinding for max armor in pve – now we need to spend like 1 month to get the ascended gear, and we only have 3 pieces. Wait if we get full set 6 pieces + 6 accessories, then from 0 to full ascended will be like in WoW (casual play)
- PvP, Team arena, random arena, heroes ascend, GvG – where is it? please Anet please!! Yes we have WWW but only GW1 players will understand.
- about 1500 skills, millions of millions builds. Build Wars / theory-crafting, Elite skills hunting.
- Guild Halls and Alliances !!!!! omfg pleeeeeease. Even in Gw1 you could see how long someone has been offline.
- Hard mode / vanquishing
- Green weapons hunting / boss hunting

Dont get me wrong, I DO LOVE GW2 and I’m still playing it since the betas. We will see some of my points in game later – like guild halls and more pvp modes but at this moment the game feels NOT ready (for me).

Peace

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

That’s a very generalistic statement OP.
I and many of my friends played GW1 for 8 years straight yet we’re all enjoying GW2.
If you read on GW1Guru the majority of GW1 players that didn’t like GW2 name lack of point-and-click as the reason they didn’t like GW2.

Liking GW1 or not has nothing to do with liking GW2.
Of course, those who expected a clone of GW1 with better graphics or another Build Wars were disappointed to realize it isn’t, but Anet never promised either things.

Buying GW2 is like buying a new keyboard.
You will only know how good the keyboard really is after you mastered its keys and usage.
You need to adapt yourself to it in order to discover if it’s truly for you, because the keyboard won’t magically adapt to how you imagined it would play.

Yes, some people can’t get beyond the lack of “autopilot” features and therefore cannot play anything that isn’t very easy to understand and learn.
GW2 is simply a game that caters to people tired of autopilot easymode gimmicky mechanics that even my 8 years old nephew can master.
We wanted something that relied on player skills rather than some passive calculation and we got what we wanted.

(edited by Red Falcon.8257)

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

Dark Souls had excellent combat (better than any MMO), even just with one attack, block, and dodge roll. And backstab.
Sure, it had spells and other weapons and stuff, but even if you ignore all of that, the combat is still deep and fun just from timing and positioning alone.

If your basic combat mechanics aren’t deep and fun, then no amount of additional variety will save it.

GW2 needs to add some more depth into its basic combat.

Oh, and in PvE, monster/boss behaviour matters a lot to deep combat too. ANet definitely needs to improve monster behaviour.

To stay on topic, GW1 combat was even worse. It became interesting only due to the team and build-making aspects. If you took two warriors with only one attack plus block and got them to fight each other, there’s basically nothing they could do.

(edited by Rieselle.5079)

Posted by: Nayru.3947

Nayru.3947

WoW may be effectively be more simplistic (ie: death knights have many skills that effectively do the same thing on different timers), but GW2’s skill selection is way worst than GW1. Just the fact that 5 of your skills (ie: the weapon skills) are effectively locked (although weaponswaps/attunements/kits helps mitigate that), your 6th skill is locked into “healing”, your 7th – 9th into "utility, and 10th into “elite” doesn’t really add as much build diversity as GW1. (well, that and the not having a 2nd class thing). I understand why the game was designed this way (ie: helps with balance issues), but I still miss the flexibility GW1 gave you in skill/build selection.

Except most of GW1’s skills came from future expansions. There wasn’t so many options when GW1 was released. We had about the same amount of options.

You could change your skills in GW1 and have secondary professions. You are stuck with the same skills in GW2. (Don’t even bother mentioning utility skills.) Don’t see your point or how you think you could even compare GW1 skill variety to GW2. Doubt you played GW1.

Posted by: dimgl.4786

dimgl.4786

I played GW1 and I despise the kitten out of this game. A lot of my friends who came from WoW and GW feel the same. I love the ArenaNet studio and want to see them succeed, but other than the art and sound, this game is pretty garbage.

dimgl.4786

GW1 is superior to GW2 in all respects except:
-Graphics
-You can jump
-WvW

The saddest part of this is I completely agree.

I Fuzion I.2546

“Except most of GW1’s skills came from future expansions. There wasn’t so many options when GW1 was released. We had about the same amount of options.”

This comment is so far from the truth.. I mean, we probably had more skills in no attribute that the whole of the profession for the mesmer.. The art work of this game is magical, the game itself is bad and needs some major changes if they want to keep a big following else slowly 1 by 1 people will drift back to other games.. Im going to give it a few more weeks of my time, before i make the change and invest my time into something more like guildwars 1..

Guildwars 2 was supposed to be a predecessor of Guildwars 1, I can understand them making it a like they did to attract Tera, Wow etc players.. But They have totally forgot there grassroots, and more shamefully there old fanbase.

dimgl.4786

GW1 since ‘05. I have several GWAMM’s and my GW1 friends also all have GWAMMs’. None of them play GW2 any more, including myself.

All the GW1 people I know find GW2 boring. One of many reasons is that GW2 is nothing like GW1, in any way, at all. (Yes, it’s a sequel, it’s supposed to feel like its predecessor.) And of course, no variation in builds and lack of content – probably the #1 reason.

I went back to GW1 months ago. Of course I tried GW2, it’s just horrible imo. GW1 is rapidly becoming a lot more active, seems a lot of people are going back.

In my opinion, the only improvement in GW2 was that you can scroll on the world map.

I also went back to Guild Wars after playing Guild Wars 2 as it doesn’t feel anything like a Guild Wars game. I would gladly still be playing this game if:

- It was Guild Wars, but with a persistent world
- There were no levels
- There was no dodging (wtf am I playing? an FPS?)
- It had modifiable skills on weapons
- It had better itemization and player statistics that actually make sense
- It had no traits, just attributes
- It had exciting dungeons (wtf is the point of story mode?)
- It had an exciting story
- It had no servers (districts work JUST FINE)

Idk man. Maybe this game is never gonna be the Guild Wars game for me.

dimgl.4786

“Except most of GW1’s skills came from future expansions. There wasn’t so many options when GW1 was released. We had about the same amount of options.”

This comment is so far from the truth.. I mean, we probably had more skills in no attribute that the whole of the profession for the mesmer.. The art work of this game is magical, the game itself is bad and needs some major changes if they want to keep a big following else slowly 1 by 1 people will drift back to other games.. Im going to give it a few more weeks of my time, before i make the change and invest my time into something more like guildwars 1..

Guildwars 2 was supposed to be a predecessor of Guildwars 1, I can understand them making it a like they did to attract Tera, Wow etc players.. But They have totally forgot there grassroots, and more shamefully there old fanbase.

You mean successor, but I agree with the fanbase comment. I don’t understand what they could have possibly been thinking? Why not make a game that will make your fans happy AND attract new players?

Posted by: Runcore.5107

Runcore.5107

I havent played GW1 and GW2 is now boring for me too. My opinion is that they should instead of some events focus on adding new maps, areas, monsters, quests and rise max levels. If I see whole map there is very much place where put new areas and with this they can raise max level.

(edited by Runcore.5107)

I Fuzion I.2546

I havent played GW1 and GW2 is now boring for me too. My opinion is that they should instead of some events focus on adding new maps, areas, monsters, quests and rise max levels. If I see whole map there is very much place where put new areas and with this they can raise max level.

Without being offensive, but its these sort of comments that Anet would listen too.. Its not the content, its not how big a level the max grind is, Hell i had fun getting to level 20 in guildwars.. Its not the bosses, its the overall gameplay… and it needs a revamp.. But instead anet will simply follow suit of what others are doing, and before you know it we will have a MR T mowhawk character and a level 150 character..

Guildwars has lost its charm for me.

I think a huge portion of this lies with the research.

They opened up the gates and i remember attending live events, trying to get a word edgeways was impossible.. i tried asking them not to remove the monk, not to get rid of GVG, all the specail things about Guildwars…

However all i could see was the potential new customers (from WOW i presume) saying stuf like “i want to jump”, “more bosses to fight”, “bigger maps”, “email system” etc… If there research team had got more Guildwars 1 players involved.. they wouldnt be having such harsh critism..

Posted by: Sardonia.8196

Sardonia.8196

Never played GW1. On that note, I have not fired up GW2 in probably over a month. I just got tired of it. The issue I have with it, is that is just feels so unrewarding when you do things. I can go out and hunt for 3 or 4 hours and not get anything I am looking for. Just feels like a total waste of time.
Then they add the fractals. I did some and found them alright. The issue though is that it breaks up the community and makes it very hard to find a group at your level, especially if you have fallen behind in levels because you missed playing for a bit. They are looking at trying to fix this but their attempted fix does not look like it will change that much because people will still be looking for their own fractal level, be that because they think they are more experienced or have the agony resistance to do it.
Again my biggest issue is that is just is not rewarding enought. Basically to me it just feels like if you are not doing fractals or playing the TP, you are not really going to get very far in what you want to do without it taking months. Legendaries should take some time, but If I wanted to go grind out lodestones, I should be able to get some in 3-4 hours or so, however, I have yet to find 1 lodestone.

Sorry to rant but we shall see what happens in the upcoming patches if it will pull me back in or not. There are some decent looking games that are coming out this year, ESOL (still up in the air abou this one), BLESS (looks beautiful and interesting) etc. Also may try out TERA since it is going FTP.

We shall see what happens

I Fuzion I.2546

Good post sardonia, Totally agree.. They said they got rid of hero’s ascent as it become an elitist playground (which i kind of agree but no need to scrap the whole gametype), if that was the case what were they thinking with the fractal introduction?

An i think ill be joining you if Anet doesnt start paying attention.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

You’re wrong and obviously don’t play WoW, so I won’t bother commenting there.

I wasn’t talking about how many skills we use at a time, I am talking about variety. Builds, true customization, there is none. I am a WoW player and I never called GW1 the ‘8 skill game’ lol… moar generalizations please. You’re just like those players since you bag on a game you have never even played. Oh you can just simply spam fireball? Thanks for the tip, I’ll try that next time I log in to do a raid on my mage lol.

GW2 skills are extremely limited. Has nothing to do with the amount of skills you have on your bar. I mean honestly, we can’t even move skills around on our bar??? How ridiculous.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: morrigana sedai.2091

morrigana sedai.2091

I was typing a wall of text but somehow I went to previous page, guess touch-path ftw. pushing it with my hand by accident just before pushing backspace. So i will type it down in short now.

Due to the fact i know some one in RL that did play GW1 I could join a social guild in GW2 that already did exist in GW1. There i did experience many GW1 players actually like GW2, the once that don’t like it they say they miss thing in GW2 that where in GW1. While those thing are actually in GW2, they are not there in the same way and there wise you have to find them. At the other hand I know people that did play other games that dislike GW2 also. An other example is a friend of me, he did start of with the wrong profession so he disliked it, i needed 2 months to get him back playing and trying some other profession and now he like it.

The bottom line is GW2 is a game that can be played in many ways and you can do allot in it. The catch is, it will not be brought to you, you will have to find it. This is not bad, but just not find for some players.

And to finish of with a quote of my guildleader that i think it will be very fitting here:

I do like GW2 allot, but for now GW1 is the best game i ever player. I played it for 6 years, but I think in time GW2 will be the best game I ever played

I might not remember the exact words, but this does cover the same essence.

morrigana sedai.2091

I wasn’t talking about how many skills we use at a time, I am talking about variety. Builds, true customization, there is none. I am a WoW player and I never called GW1 the ‘8 skill game’ lol… moar generalizations please. You’re just like those players since you bag on a game you have never even played. Oh you can just simply spam fireball? Thanks for the tip, I’ll try that next time I log in to do a raid on my mage lol.

GW2 skills are extremely limited. Has nothing to do with the amount of skills you have on your bar. I mean honestly, we can’t even move skills around on our bar??? How ridiculous.

I just feel required on this and i did play WoW. In WoW every class had 3 optimal build, with very limited to non possibility to variate them if you where playing pve. So one build for every talent tree a class had. And every role you could play did use 1 or 2 skill most by far, 3 to 5 you used on a regular base, 1 to 3 you did use on regular base at specif tactics and all other skill where almost not to never. So i don’t count more skills as you use in GW2, only difference in wow you did not have to chose what to put in your skill bar, you just did bound all. And the pvp build where more or less variations on the standard pve builds. In GW2 you can build a pve character in way more ways, you can build support, control, glass cannon damage, tanky support, supportive control, tanky damage dealer, damage dealer with a supportive edge,….., ect. I think the essence is clear. And if you think skills are to limited try a ele or engi, i can get both above 40 skills they can use without a change of weapon. And about the fact you can come arround with only fireball spam is in WoW is also not treu. So i think people should not start the generalization. I don’t know how WoW is now since i did quit it during patch 4.2 (firelands), so I’m talking about how it was when I was playing just before i stopped playing it. It might have change allot due to MoP since they change allot about classes every new version.

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

Well i am a massive gw1 fan , and i still play gw2 even tho its nothing like gw1 . It has faults but so did gw1 and look how that turned out

My advice be patient people , see what happens jan/feb

[WM]give us in game ladder

I Fuzion I.2546

morrigana sedai.

The people that you are talking to, who are in your guild, who dont like it are the persistance ones.. The ones that have played a game they dont like for 6 months now, hoping anet fix it.. The ones you dont get to speak to is the hordes of numbers that quit the game.. or the ones still playing guildwars 1. (there is a huge following and it seems to be growing again). If you played guildwars you would understand. This was meant to be OUR next game, that entised others to come play it.. We had stuck with anet for 5-6 years buying there expansions.. playing daily.. defending our game from the WoW community and also attacking blizzard for there poor game design..

Then anet suddenly forgot about us.. It introduced a jump function.. Ditched the target bar, threw GVG out, put Heroes ascent in the trash, created a area where we could use WOW terms like Zerg…. , destroyed the monk class so many of us enjoyed, Introduced a rip off gold eating machine, made pve so that it was elitist (with fractules) took away my 60 combined skills ,and gave me a choice of 10.. They made is so that i had 80 level’s and i can now jump….

I stood by the side of Anet for years, and i didnt expect them to make this.. In my opinion the name of this game would have been more fitting as “wow2” .. This game represents nothing of guildwars 1..

Look at Call of duty, Battlefield, Diablo, Wow.. do any of them make so much of a change that its hard to recognise what game it is?

NO…….

I appluad you anet for trying something so huge.. But at the same time i could kick you very hard in the shins for taking my community away from me in guildwars 1, and then allow it to dissapear as they cant stand this game.

Posted by: bojangles.6912

bojangles.6912

I played GW1 and I still find GW2 entertaining.

My brothers, however, who were more hardcore GW1 players than me (ie: they both vanquished all the zones, my little brother has the “GWAMM title” – farmed for hundreds of hours with his 55hp monk), don’t really play. They complain about how long it takes to level, and how bad the combat system is.

Ugh. Bad combat? This game has some of the most fun combat of any game I’ve played at all, let alone an MMO…

And how long it takes to level? I leveled to 80 in a week and a half. Most MMOs will take you up to months to hit their max level, especially with your first toon. GW1 allowed you to get to its abysmally tiny max level in a matter of HOURS…which is just flat-out stupid.

Your brothers’ excuses are kinda….silly.

Why are his brothers’ excuses silly? Just because YOU disagree with him? Sorry but the combat is nothing special and actually not even all that. There are quite a few other combat systems better than GW2 as well. So your reasons are kinda…..silly.

Oh to add not sure what mmo’s you are playing that take months to level but I have played SWG, UO, EQ2, WoW, Aion, Warhammer, LotR, Tera, Rift, TSW, STO, ToR, and AoC and none of these took months to hit max level. Please don’t make up lies and excuses.

(edited by bojangles.6912)

Posted by: Gorwe.9672

Gorwe.9672

I also went back to Guild Wars after playing Guild Wars 2 as it doesn’t feel anything like a Guild Wars game. I would gladly still be playing this game if:

- It was Guild Wars, but with a persistent world
- There were no levels
- There was no dodging (wtf am I playing? an FPS?)
- It had modifiable skills on weapons
- It had better itemization and player statistics that actually make sense
- It had no traits, just attributes
- It had exciting dungeons (wtf is the point of story mode?)
- It had an exciting story
- It had no servers (districts work JUST FINE)

Idk man. Maybe this game is never gonna be the Guild Wars game for me.

AMEN!!!!!

It has one big fat N.O.T.H.I.N.G. compared not only to GW1, but even the other MMOs. MMO without loot-Like fps without shooting. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???

I waited for Four and a half years for it and I expected more from it because that waiting totally ruined LoTRO/Rift for me. The ability to have all those GW1 things plus the ability to play a Norn plus all those Abilities they talked about-and look what we got! An MMO without loot! I give them until the end of March-if they don’t fix what is wrong(and they won’t→ENTIRE gameplay is waffled up!), I’ll be gone for good and ANet won’t see my money EVER again! If, however, they fix at least 15-25% of things that are broken, maybe I even return.

LOL! I waited for GW 2 only to wait some for GW 2! If ain’t that rad

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

I just feel required on this and i did play WoW. In WoW every class had 3 optimal build, with very limited to non possibility to variate them if you where playing pve. So one build for every talent tree a class had. And every role you could play did use 1 or 2 skill most by far, 3 to 5 you used on a regular base, 1 to 3 you did use on regular base at specif tactics and all other skill where almost not to never. So i don’t count more skills as you use in GW2, only difference in wow you did not have to chose what to put in your skill bar, you just did bound all. And the pvp build where more or less variations on the standard pve builds. In GW2 you can build a pve character in way more ways, you can build support, control, glass cannon damage, tanky support, supportive control, tanky damage dealer, damage dealer with a supportive edge,….., ect. I think the essence is clear. And if you think skills are to limited try a ele or engi, i can get both above 40 skills they can use without a change of weapon. And about the fact you can come arround with only fireball spam is in WoW is also not treu. So i think people should not start the generalization. I don’t know how WoW is now since i did quit it during patch 4.2 (firelands), so I’m talking about how it was when I was playing just before i stopped playing it. It might have change allot due to MoP since they change allot about classes every new version.

It actually has changed a lot since hybrids are sort of making their way back into the game (dps healing, etc.) but I never even mentioned skills in WoW, and still it has a ton of skills to play with, my rogue for instance can start fights in way more ways than my thief can.

In WoW it all depends if I want to get my self healing up immediately or go straight for dps, or both for a long fight, then my dps buffs and debuffs come into play which are also situational, do I want burst or dot? Am I going to spend most of my time on my target or chasing it? All of these things I think when I am playing rogue. Is this a caster or melee target? Ok, either CC with silence or disarm my targets weapon or stun.

In GW2 I just autoattack pretty much, I mean what else is there? There is almost zero thought that goes into attacking a target. I go in, burst, get out if I’m taking damage and begin faceroll on my shortbow.

in GW1 it was all about paying attention to your surroundings. What is going on, who is taking damage, ok need to peel or heal/prot, in pve you pull mobs and watch for patrols. GW2 mobs hardly have patrols and the ones that do I’ve noticed don’t even stop when I attack them, like they are going to make their destination no matter what.

There is ZERO strategy in this game, is my point. I’m not even sure more skills would fix this game, but it would certainly be less boring with more variety, and definitely it won’t matter if we can never customize our skill bar.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

(edited by Rukia.4802)

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Gw1 player here, Idon’t hate Gw2 or i wouldn’t be here, but i do feel its really Generic, and after Nov 15th a bit of a WoW clone, which would be fine if it wasn’t called Guildwars 2 lol..

And the Anet Quote about bringing everything we love over from Guildwars 1 to me isn’t true, no Dual classes and only a few locked skills, is far from Guildwars 1, and the combat does feel very street fighter 2..

Posted by: Kilgorn.1463

Kilgorn.1463

I only ever tried GW1 for a few days, and that was just before the release of GW2. I was trying to make up my mind if I should get this game or get MoP and continue with WoW. I’ve played WoW for over six years or so, and decided to go with GW2 and try something else too.
At first I loved this game, and I still like in many ways. But lately, I’ve felt more bored than having any fun. After I leveled my first character to level 80, I got the world completion and did some WvW. Then I just couldn’t think of anything meaningful to do with that character anymore. So I started another one, and again I was enjoying the game more. Different race, profession, order and after the pact was formed, all the different choices than the previous one. But again, after getting the world completion, nothing to do. Bored.
I’m not interested in starting to farm for a legendary, the things required are way more than I’m willing to do just for a mere cosmetic change on my weapon. I already like how my weapons look.
I know that since I’ve spent 6 years with WoW and have put a lot of my time and money in that, that has a lot to do with my opinion. But even though this is a great game in many ways, some hook to keep me interested is missing. I’m waiting for the next update to come, but if I still feel bored, I think I’ll go back to WoW.

But that is just my opinion.

Posted by: Phira.3970

Phira.3970

In the SPVP department, yes. Probably 99%+ are disappointed. I have not met a single person who is maybe rank 20+ that says he or she truly likes spvp at its current state. The pve is well developed but pvp, which was gw1 forte, is not here in gw2.

morrigana sedai.2091

enjoy the wall of text ^^

@rukia, I geuss you only do the dungeons that are getting pugged and if you did read it well they are going to review all bosses to improve them. And if you are just auto attacking you doing something wrong. Beside the fight in GW2 keep you way more busy as the did in WoW while i played them, so you might have the feeling you do less skill but you have to watch out way more do keep your position right and dodge attacks. I wow i was playing a healer and i hardly have to move, i had DBM to warn me so i didn’t have to watch for que’s, so 90% of the time i was looking to the raidinterface if i was not raid leading for the guild. In GW2 you have be aware of your surrounding. Ow and btw you know you can disable auto attack right, gives you more skill bashes.

@dimgl and gorwe, GW1 have been released in 2005, i just checked it. By now there is way more possible in games due to better hardware, so yea things in the engine will change, so there will be in jumping giving you actually a new dimension to move in. And it makes it possible to make new kind of content like jumping puzzles. Or content like underwater combat. Beside i did play the trail on GW1, as far i did see you could modify the skill bar, without weapon decency. Better itemization…… sigh……… It’s just a personal preference. You still have attributes, but the give an extra edge with traits, so you can make a profession more fit to yourself. Better story………? TBH GW2 story is sequel of GW1, same team wrote it so where are you talking about? It’s called personal preference. The point in STORY mode is the story, not the dungeon. Furthermore there is a open world in GW2, you either work with servers or with overflows. GW1 had a instanced world so they could do district, but that districts did more or less work as an overflow. (yea i did GW1 trail and i actually missed a jump function and i cursed at the invisible walls, I prefer getting fall damage something about meeting up with an invisible every 10 steps) and now levels in GW1, I’m sure there where 20.

And no loot……. are we playing the same game Gorwe?

@kilgorn is it meaningful to farm for 6 months to get 1 piece that you didn’t get when there is a new update?

@Dante GW2 is no WoW clone, it’s a very different game

@everyone Personally i think it’s good there is no daulclass in GW2 and before you start hammering on me think about the next thing. In GW1 you had 10 professions. Due to the fact first profession did more for you as 2nd there where 900 combinations you could make on professions only. See where the balance problems come in? against only 8 in GW2 at this moment. That is over a factor 100 difference. So you could say over a factor 100 less choice or over a factor 100 less change to get massive overpowered builds and i did understand those builds where always in GW1.

@|FUZION| OUR game???? So if it was for you only GW1 players should have been allowed to play GW2? You know the time difference between GW1 and GW2 is 250 years, things change in 250 years. Like i mentioned before the story is the sequel on GW1 but it is 250 years later. And really what is bad about a jumping option? Beside it’s is always the smallest group that screams loudest, i bet for every GW1 player here that is saying GW2 is bad, there are 10 or more that do like GW2 but just don’t make such a loud voice. Futhermore about the monk class, they got rid of the classic holy trinity. Since the monk was a healer there just was no place for him in GW2. As far i did understood the guardian is a merge of pargagonder and monk so they did not discard it, they just did bring it back in a new form.

But anyhow if people did put something in their head they don’t want to hear anything else and indeed there are thing in GW2 that can be better but that does not mean the game is bad.

morrigana sedai.2091

In the SPVP department, yes. Probably 99%+ are disappointed. I have not met a single person who is maybe rank 20+ that says he or she truly likes spvp at its current state. The pve is well developed but pvp, which was gw1 forte, is not here in gw2.

I’m not a real pvp player myself, wvwvw did get me though. But i can see what you mean with spvp indeed, hearing about the great variation pvp modes in GW1, however it needs time to develop that. So my guess, in time the variation will become bigger and bigger. During the events they are trying some mobaform of pvp in a MMO-RGP and my guess is when they are thinking it is good they will implant a version of it that is always available.

Posted by: Fildydarie.1496

Fildydarie.1496

And how long it takes to level? I leveled to 80 in a week and a half. Most MMOs will take you up to months to hit their max level, especially with your first toon. GW1 allowed you to get to its abysmally tiny max level in a matter of HOURS…which is just flat-out stupid.

My personal record for leveling in GW1 (which isn’t all that good of a record, actually—I could have done much better) is Legendary Survivor with just under 20 hours played.

Agreed, this was fast, but my first character hit 20 in just a couple weeks. In GW2, I hit 80 in about the same time on my first character. You can level very fast if you want to; leveling is a side effect of doing things, not an objective unto itself.

On the original topic, I was a reasonably hardcore GW1 player (GWAMM, 50/50 HoM) and I absolutely love GW2. It is everything I expected it would be. It is not necessarily 100% perfect, but it is close and heading in the right direction.

-Fildydarie
Hutchmistress of the Fluffy Bunny Brigade [FBB]

Posted by: Choko.6821

Choko.6821

Hitting here in GW1 through pve first level 20 being with a monk class within. I must say just like OP this game is quite boring.

(edited by Choko.6821)

Posted by: Ehra.5240

Ehra.5240

I think sometimes people forget that GW1 didn’t really get to the point it’s at now until around NF/EoTN. That was when it really started to hit its stride on the PvE side, imo. Armor stats were separated from specific skins, hard mode was introduced, heroes were added. More skills were added. The game just needed more stuff, and I think that’s how this game is going to turn out too. Right now it just feels like GW2 doesn’t have enough choice; ascended gear is earned from one area and build options don’t feel as varied as they could. These are things that a few years worth of content could fix, it just needs more stuff (and more interesting encounters, which the devs have said they intend to work on).

As a side note, fully customizing the gear and skills of my hero party is something I really miss from Guild Wars 1 that almost no other game has been able to mimic. Finally getting the party that had all of the buffs and debuffs I wanted while maintaining a good amount of damage felt really good and the only other MMO I’ve found that has this sort of feature is, surprisingly, Star Trek Online.

(edited by Ehra.5240)

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

Well I’m an GW1 that found GW2 boring at endgame, after do most content…

GW2 was something awesome in first times… but today… it’s painfull to play. I enter sometimes, do one thing or another and it’s done.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Xenth.2408

Xenth.2408

I played GW1 up to the first expansion. Comparing that to this, I’ve enjoyed GW2 more. People have to remember, GW1 evolved over time to what it is now. GW2 hasn’t even had a major content update, lot alone an expansion…

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

You’re not playing a Mesmer, then.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

Didn’t read through the 3 pages but I’ve played GW1 since launch day and same with GW2. Pre-purhcased the day it became available to be purchased early.

Now that that’s out of the way, I am disappointed with some aspects of GW2 compared to GW1. For example, high level caps with increased caps in expansions confirmed is not something I like to see for this game.

I also don’t like seeing more gear tiers added – though I understand the “need” to do so. I don’t like how I can’t farm for things I need to use in crafting or just plain weapons in general. Legendaries are obnoxiously hard and expensive to craft, only to end up on the trading post – the list can go on.

Crafting is streamlined and dumbed down to fit the typical MMO style of crafting (99% of the crap you make is useless and only used to get to the max level). A destroyer weapon in GW1 meant I farmed a bit and went to craft my weapon. That same weapon in GW2 means I need to buy lodestones from a bot off the TP or farm a single event (with a 2h cooldown) and hope to get enough cores to drop for me to make them into Lodestones in the mystic forge.

I play GW2 every day and there are things that improved from GW1 -> GW2 but for the most part I am largely disappointed by the way it turned out. They could have done so much more with it and kept to what made GW1 great but they went a different route to appeal to the masses.