Is it time for test servers?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ZaxanRazor.6235

ZaxanRazor.6235

Guild Wars 2 is an incredibly complex game.

What we’ve seen whenever a feature has been introduced is that it doesn’t work as intended.

The Karka World Event was a problem for many players to compete because they were trying something the first time and it didn’t go as planned.

The Ranger box from the laurel vendors is bugged and doesn’t always give items that Rangers can actually use.

Loot drops are poor and DR can actually lead to chests from dragons not spawning for players who do the events often.

I’m sure many of you can come up with other examples. I don’t mind that the odd thing doesn’t work properly, but it does become a bit disappointing when it seems that every new feature hasn’t been tested by a large enough audience before going live.

Surely a test server would get around this issue? What do we think?

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

Before this thread gets very large, someone will probably point out that there is a test server.

At which point you can change your question and start asking why its existence and those participating on it are not amounting to the expected result. Maybe the participants are failing to do an adequate job, maybe the developers are not listening to the feedback.. who knows.

Posted by: Akiko.2364

Akiko.2364

they have a test server in Everquest for the last 13 years.. and still many bugs go live…. it’s no guarentee that it will make things perfect.

Posted by: ZaxanRazor.6235

ZaxanRazor.6235

Before this thread gets very large, someone will probably point out that there is a test server.

At which point you can change your question and start asking why its existence and those participating on it are not amounting to the expected result. Maybe the participants are failing to do an adequate job, maybe the developers are not listening to the feedback.. who knows.

If that’s the case then it must simply be down to the test server not being populated enough.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I agree with what you’ve said. The lost shore was lost to me. I encountered way to many bugs that led me to forgo the event altogether. A public test tell would be a good idea. ANet could tell us when it’s up and it could be a free transfer to that realm. And back to your original server. On a first come basis. That way they would get more feed back. I know Blizzard have done this for years with WoW. Though you get a premade or a clone of your toon on there public test realm. Just an idea.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Hjorje.9453

Hjorje.9453

Yeah a test server would be nice. When I played DAoC I actually played on Pendragon a lot of the time because it was quiet. That was the test server. The other nice thing is you could copy your account over there for testing and it wouldn’t affect your normal server at all. This would be a good idea for GW2

Hjorje

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

If you have a test server for the Lost Shores event, where is the excitement for the revealing? It’ll all go away.

I’m sure Arenanet has their own test servers and ‘public’ computers to test the game on in their headquarters.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: rootnode.9546

rootnode.9546

Before they start a test server, they should start reading and listening on the forums. Take a look at the profession specific forums. You can go back 5 pages for each profession and won’t find a topic with an answer from a dev younger than several weeks.

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside