Is it time for the champion to get changed

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LoopySnoopy.7923

LoopySnoopy.7923

Doing cursed shore can be a pain but what makes it even worse is the champion guarding the skill point in noose road. My server the far shiverpeaks there is not many wondering around there so this Skill Point which is guarded by the champion makes this a difficult task it is next to neigh impossible to get with out using the secret way which still requires timing. Should he be changed to a vet as I don’t think the secret way is the best way.. Would be nice to see what the devs think of this

Too much agreement kills a chat.

Posted by: Lpfan.3578

Lpfan.3578

I agree, champions/group event bosses that spawn right at skill points are very annoying. You are forced to ask other people to come kill this boss that they apparently have no interest in fighting otherwise. Veterans are fine though, as long as they don’t respawn too fast. (kill a bunch of mobs, kill veteran, mobs have respawned, kill mobs and veteran has respawned, etc.)

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

You complain about Cursed Shore now? It’s a lovely place now since they did the whole Orr change with mobs respawn and whatnot!

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

I like taking down champions. You can do most all of them solo if you try. =)

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Last time I checked it was called skill CHALLENGE

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Lpfan.3578

Lpfan.3578

The OP is not talking about a skill CHALLENGE. They are talking about a spot where you can commune for the skill point, which there are definitely places that you can commune at with no fights or with just normal mobs/a veteran around.

Skill challenge bosses are fine, they are soloable. But there are spots where the champion in front of the commune spot is too difficult for most players to solo, or even a group event boss will spawn and make the skill point impossible without at least one other person to distract/help kill the boss. Some of them, you stealth or something to help you get around them and get the point but others you can’t do solo without grabbing the boss’s attention.

Edit: Before anyone says anything… YES, I know this is a MMORPG so it’s not a huge deal to have to ask for help. I have never had troubles where no one would help (rarely had to ask) and I do go and help people who ask for help. It’s still quite annoying that such large bosses are right at the skill points.

(edited by Lpfan.3578)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Not sure what the “secret way” is. I’ve always just gotten the SP without fighting the Champion.

It walks down from the upper to the lower level in a consistent pattern. If you go up the left side and wait for it to go down, you can kill the normal mob there, then either get the point if you killed quickly or retreat to the left (as you face the point), wait for it to come up and then go back down.

Or, you could just ask for someone to help distract the champ while you get the point.

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

I actually got this one solo on my Necromancer and theif. I am trying to get it with my Ranger atm, but I think I am going to have to ask for help from players around the area to help me take it down. I have acquired every skill point in the game running solo, but its difficulty comes down to class and timing (IE Balthazar). I think some of these SPs are designed that way to keep people in the area farming for some time before they get them.

Posted by: Tinboy.7954

Tinboy.7954

Just use your elite summon to distract it unless you’re a norn.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

that champ patrols. there is a place by the wall where you can sneak back there and cap the skill point without even getting into combat. use a stealth kit and sneak back into the corner. when he leaves, cap the skill point.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

LoopySnoopy.7923

Problem is; is that the champion that is there is always there has a nasty teleport skill which you cant avoid a nasty root spell which you cant avoid re-spawns to quick after you kill him and the adds that are there as well unless you are lucky and on a thief,,mesmer,guardian its quite hard to do and I don’t believe using the racial card either well you should be this and use this racial elite…… Also as I mentioned FSP server is mainly a pug server and not around cursed shore much I guess I could guest to a PVE only server but surely this flawed thinking is wrong, as I should be able to do this on my own server

(edited by LoopySnoopy.7923)

Posted by: Gestankfaust.4216

Gestankfaust.4216

There’s a place in Orr that has a communal Skill Challenge. Problem is, the crazy flying champion with an aggro range of a million yards and can readily take two or three lvl 80 trying to get the SP.

There is, however, a workaround. We just tag team the Champ and run around avoiding the SP are while the other person communes. When finished, we swap…assuming we are both alive

:P

So I do see what the O kitten aying. There are many places where Champs roam around that already have many regular mobs as well as the vets. Can get ridiculous at times.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

I just wait for the champ to patrol away, and kill the jester or whatever is up there and commune really quickly before it comes back.

Posted by: Rafiee.2935

Rafiee.2935

Gotta love being a ranger with two disposable distractions

http://feverclan.com/forums/forum.html
LvL 80 Ranger on Sea of Sorrow’s
Fever Clan[FC] Guild Leader

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

Well i kinda thought that the idea behind commune skill points was to have the actually challenge being the surrounding area, so be it a jump or two, traps or mobs / champions…. i enjoy these more than the actual challenges as you KNOW your getting a fight or some odd pop quiz.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I did this with my Guardian when I needed the skill point. Wait until he’s furthest away on patrol, lure him decently far, immobilize with scepter, then book it like crazy to the SP (Retreat! is decent for this). You should have an aegis up already so absorb one attack if he gets to you before you’re done. Be ready to put up another aegis with your virtue (since it doesn’t break what you’re doing) and you should get it pretty easily.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

LoopySnoopy.7923

So none of you think its a tad excessive to have the champ there, it should be a vet by all rights as the mobs that are around there are pain in the kitten. But again I suppose its not a factoring problem as in its not high on there list to do a swoop over Tyria to see if alls right….

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

Which point is this? I did all the skill points in Orr solo on my ele without issues (most of them before hitting 80).

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

I like taking down champions. You can do most all of them solo if you try. =)

This one you can’t. It’s got some unique abilities that a single player simply can’t survive under normal circumstances. Rangers can distract it with their pets, and that’s about the only way you can solo it.

I’ve been hoping for a nerf-to-veteran on this sucker for a long time.

Posted by: Deinxceriis.6754

Deinxceriis.6754

Wait, you want to make a champion easier so you can get the skill point he
s guarding because he’s to hard?

It’s this reasoning in which games are getting to easy. Leave the challenge there, it’s rare to find that in an MMO these days.

Posted by: LFk.1408

LFk.1408

A little critical thinking will go a long way!

- Remember that blocking attacks won’t interrupt your commune.
- Monster AI is easily distracted. Can you possibly use this to your advantage?
- There are many instant abilities that you can use during your commune. Virtue of Courage of one… Arcane Shield is another… there are more!
- There are lots of helpful items throughout the game that can give you access to skills that you wouldn’t otherwise have. A list of them can be found here: http://dulfy.net/2013/01/16/gw2-useful-and-fun-consumables-guide/#2

Requesting this kind of change is not the right way to go about things.

Your logic is flawed: “Many skill challenges are only guarded by veterans, so this should be a veteran.”

By that interpretation, “many vistas are easily accessible and thus any difficult ones (i.e. the one in Dredgehaunt cliffs) should be made easily accessible.”

“Many points of interest are in obvious and plain sight, and thus hiding them (as some are tricky to get to) is unnecessarily difficult.”

Some things in this game are easy, others are a little more difficult. I frankly wish there were more things in this (PvE) game that required you to be clever and have a strategy. Right now the PvE lacks depth.

The above suggestions are enough to allow all classes to have a way to acquire this skill point without ever attempting to defeat the champion, which of course is the most straightforward way.

Posted by: Ayochak.8293

Ayochak.8293

It’s at Noose road skill point.

I agree and this is not an L2P/challenge issue.
My play style is most exclusively about soloing PvE.
I’m hunting champions with my thief.
I killed the eye king, I kill champion giant risens, the champion in labyrinth…
And I can tell that the champion at this skill point is overpowered.
I tried to kill it about a dozen times, no luck so far.

Anyway all the mob types (noble and one another) that AoE “wells” since the patch that changed them are overpowered.
When it’s trash it’s not a big deal (unless they are too many) but the champion version is stupidly strong because they added a CC component (it “drags” you in)!

This one and all the ones that AoE “wells” like that are usually never killed by players, like the one in Karst plains catacombs in Malchor’s leap, and some others.
Because they are way too powerful and offer zero reward.

Skill points should be guarded by challenging mobs, but not by overpowered ones that are stronger than most of the group events ones.

Posted by: Ridley.3691

Ridley.3691

I’m surprised -this- is the Skill Point you’re upset with, at least the champion can be avoided relatively easily and thus getting the SP isn’t too hard.

The ones I’m annoyed with are the communing one in King’s Passage, there’s an event there where you need to kill some Dwayna priests and there’s a champion -right- at the SP, so you need to have another player there to pull her away.

Then there’s the one in southern Malchor’s Leap, another communing one at one of Dwayna’s Statues, there’s an event where a champion Risen Knight patrols the area and he moves -fast-, -very- tricky to solo that one if the event’s up (which it nearly always is since no one does champion-killing events due to the poor reward:time invested ratio)

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I got my skill point by kiting the champion back to Shelter Camp and letting everyone else handle it.

Screw off, “challenge” people. The champion there is just dumb with the insta-teleport.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

LoopySnoopy.7923

A little critical thinking will go a long way!

- Remember that blocking attacks won’t interrupt your commune.
- Monster AI is easily distracted. Can you possibly use this to your advantage?
- There are many instant abilities that you can use during your commune. Virtue of Courage of one… Arcane Shield is another… there are more!
- There are lots of helpful items throughout the game that can give you access to skills that you wouldn’t otherwise have. A list of them can be found here: http://dulfy.net/2013/01/16/gw2-useful-and-fun-consumables-guide/#2

Requesting this kind of change is not the right way to go about things.

Your logic is flawed: “Many skill challenges are only guarded by veterans, so this should be a veteran.”

By that interpretation, “many vistas are easily accessible and thus any difficult ones (i.e. the one in Dredgehaunt cliffs) should be made easily accessible.”

“Many points of interest are in obvious and plain sight, and thus hiding them (as some are tricky to get to) is unnecessarily difficult.”

Some things in this game are easy, others are a little more difficult. I frankly wish there were more things in this (PvE) game that required you to be clever and have a strategy. Right now the PvE lacks depth.

The above suggestions are enough to allow all classes to have a way to acquire this skill point without ever attempting to defeat the champion, which of course is the most straightforward way.

The point is this why should we go out our way to use consumables just to distract an enemy so we can safely get the Skill Point. The point is this the ability’s he has don’t warrant him to be there just replace him with a veteran and add some more trash to balance it out. And use the champion in a event style thing in the same area not location, yes many don’t see the point of this thread but since the risen was tweaked a few patches back its now gotten to a point where this is stupid all in the aid of making orr more populated well its not worked. Also I have done this SP around about 12 times so far and have had to cheat my way to get it as in run around the back wait for him to wander off and speed cap the SP.

(edited by LoopySnoopy.7923)

Posted by: LFk.1408

LFk.1408

The point is this why should we go out our way to use consumables just to distract an enemy so we can safely get the Skill Point. The point is this the ability’s he has don’t warrant him to be there just replace him with a veteran and add some more trash to balance it out. And use the champion in a event style thing in the same area not location, yes many don’t see the point of this thread but since the risen was tweaked a few patches back its now gotten to a point where this is stupid all in the aid of making orr more populated well its not worked. Also I have done this SP around about 12 times so far and have had to cheat my way to get it as in run around the back wait for him to wander off and speed cap the SP.

First of all let me say that i’m impressed that you have 12 characters that have played through the cursed shore, essentially meaning 12 level 80s (or near that). That’s some massive dedication, which leaves me all the more stunned that you’ve picked this SP of all things.

I really don’t see what’s wrong with being forced to find a way around fighting a monster solo. Consumables? That’s only to help you out. Most classes don’t even need it if you kite him the right way.

I don’t see this as a broken game mechanic at all. “Kill the monster” doesn’t have to be the solution to every puzzle in the game. That makes things stale. Properly applying a clever strategy to solve a problem actually makes me feel a lot better than just brute forcing a given encounter.

LoopySnoopy.7923

First of all let me say that i’m impressed that you have 12 characters that have played through the cursed shore, essentially meaning 12 level 80s (or near that). That’s some massive dedication, which leaves me all the more stunned that you’ve picked this SP of all things.

I really don’t see what’s wrong with being forced to find a way around fighting a monster solo. Consumables? That’s only to help you out. Most classes don’t even need it if you kite him the right way.

I don’t see this as a broken game mechanic at all. “Kill the monster” doesn’t have to be the solution to every puzzle in the game. That makes things stale. Properly applying a clever strategy to solve a problem actually makes me feel a lot better than just brute forcing a given encounter.

12 level 80s and 2 left to get there, I mentioned this skill point as its the one that people keep shouting in map chat we need help with and its the one I’m now getting stuck with, as I’ve mentioned why should we have to work around it he should not be a champ he should be a vet there is nothing warranting him to be a champ in the 1st place, its an oversight on anets part

Ayochak.8293

Map points defenders exist to be fought and defeated.

Asking for balanced defenders is actually asking for a fair challenge.
Creating a diversion to skip them because they are unbeatable (unless zerged) should not become the default solution.

Telling players that they should get better at skipping content is probably quite far from the ideal answer to such issues.

Posted by: Ruprect.7260

Ruprect.7260

The champions are fine. It makes something actually difficult in this game. If you can’t kill the champs alone, find a friend.

Ruprect – [DIS] Dissentient
Mesmer/Elementalist/Guardian/Necromancer/Warrior
[TC] Tarnished Coast

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

You don’t even need to kill it. Just go with a friend/random passerby, kill as many as the mobs around as you can without aggroing the champion, have your friend (or you) get the champion and run away while you run in and grab the skill point, then go help your friend/res him if he died, and now you grab the champion while your friend goes to grab the skill point. That’s what I’ve done for two characters, at least.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Vesper.5406

Vesper.5406

NO NO I played world of warcraft when it came out, and I loved the idea of elites. When cataclysm came out they nerfed or removed most of the elites. Keep the champions the way they are. Overworld needs to have danger.

MMOs should require some things to be grouped for.

Ayochak.8293

Most replies contradict themselves here.
You are promoting challenging content AND advise players to either skip it or gather enough force to stand a chance to win it.
You are trying to prevent changes that would enable players to actually fight with their own character instead of using numbers or tricks to bypass difficulty.
You don’t want difficulty, you defend something that looks like it but is not.
A mob you can’t beat and must either bypass or zerg is not difficult, it’s just silly.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Find another player who needs it (try LA) then one kites it while the other gets the skill point, then swap over for the other person..

Not so tough if you keep moving..kill sparks first..

Posted by: Gestankfaust.4216

Gestankfaust.4216

Find another player who needs it (try LA) then one kites it while the other gets the skill point, then swap over for the other person..

Not so tough if you keep moving..kill sparks first..

Kinda what I said.

Torn between frivolous or a genius way to get passed it and should stay. We had a giggle after the first tow deaths or so…but others wont. I don’t think is intended to both fight Champs and vets though. But “challenge” is there.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I would not mind if it where changed to a vet instead of champ. I have done it 4 times a mix of solo and other players.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

You are promoting challenging content AND advise players to either skip it or gather enough force to stand a chance to win it.
You are trying to prevent changes that would enable players to actually fight with their own character instead of using numbers or tricks to bypass difficulty.
A mob you can’t beat and must either bypass or zerg is not difficult, it’s just silly.

Who’s bypassing difficulty : the player that makes creative use of environment, items and skills to get the skill point without killing the champion or the one that makes a “Champion OP, nerf it to Veteran status !” post?

Posted by: Yoji.5610

Yoji.5610

I usually ask in map chat for help. Normally there are quite a few players around to help, either because they need the skillpoint as well or because they are just nice people.

LoopySnoopy.7923

Who’s bypassing difficulty : the player that makes creative use of environment, items and skills to get the skill point without killing the champion or the one that makes a “Champion OP, nerf it to Veteran status !” post?

Sorry but its a valid reason for wanting it nerfed to a veteran main reason why I posted this was that over the last 6months there’s been players which have struggled to get this even with a group and on my 13th toon I’m now stuck getting it my self.
I understand using the environment to our benefit and such using cons or buggy AI (pets) to accomplish this.
Isn’t it about time we have the strategy of taking him down whether it be on our own or with a group………. At the moment taking him down is either too risky on our own or even with a group of 3 players its risky.

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

There are plenty of ways to go about this.. two of which I’m particularly fond of.

1) Join a guild that will help you out with things like this!
2) http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Elixir_of_Heroes Getting the elixir and then just running through Orr without using it until the skill point might be difficult… but it’s possible, I’ve done it at a few commune skill points that I wouldn’t have been able to get otherwise.

Slow down and smell the pixels.

LoopySnoopy.7923

There are plenty of ways to go about this.. two of which I’m particularly fond of.

2) http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Elixir_of_Heroes Getting the elixir and then just running through Orr without using it until the skill point might be difficult… but it’s possible, I’ve done it at a few commune skill points that I wouldn’t have been able to get otherwise.

I’m with a guild and my play time is quite odd to say the least, all I’m saying is this why cant we do it as on our own with out cheating as in using environment and cons. Which I believe is the only way to do this..

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

I’m with a guild and my play time is quite odd to say the least, all I’m saying is this why cant we do it as on our own with out cheating as in using environment and cons. Which I believe is the only way to do this..

I kind of like that… If this were too easy then the elixir of heroes would serve no purpose other than to be an inconvenient option (as it is well out of the way of most of the skill points). I think a lot of the environmental objects suffer that fate, like tree branches and the like… Why use them when your own skill set is so superior? Give them unique uses to overcome certain PvE obstacles that are otherwise difficult to achieve. I just can’t help but like the sound of that. I just wish more environmental objects had such uses.

Slow down and smell the pixels.

Ayochak.8293

Nobody is killing this champion.
Very few players are using trick to do it solo.
What happens is that players are asking help to create a diversion.
That’s what I did with most of my characters, that’s what half the posts here advise to do, you can read them.
So since it’s the most common solution, that’s what you are promoting: skipping the real fight by asking help to create a diversion.

Let’s not forget what this is about: this is about a skill point for map completion.
It’s not a group event.
And most group events are way easier than this champion.
Soloing arena event is easy, soloing a giant risen is doable, but this champion is unbeatable.
This champion is OP because of its AoE ability with teleport and CC component.
I’m insisting because this type of mob ability should be nerfed, and not because I care about this skill point.
But I also think that it’s a bad idea to put champion guardians at map completion points.

Posted by: yorick.1305

yorick.1305

I remember there was a SC in one of the WvW maps and it was a champ’ harpy and a ‘few friends’ , nigh impossible to solo no matter who or what one’s skill lvl is. I had to wait until some other time when it was a commune, (some others killed it).

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

On my Ele I just waited for the champ to start it’s walk away from the skill point and hugged the wall around the back. Killed the jester, then backed out as the champ started back.

Once the champ had cycled back along it’s path and was headed away, I snuck back in along the wall, started the commune channel, and hit mist form to finish as soon as the champ aggroed and headed my way.

I’m surprised a thief was complaining higher up in this thread. Should be the simplest profession to do this on because you can stealth in there and use shadow refuge to do the commune.

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

The champion risen baron is classified as a risen noble. Before the update that made all risen nobles overpowered, it was easily soloable by most classes.

Now, imagine fighting a risen noble at champion strength. This is the new risen baron. Teleport+pull+symbol that ticks for over 2k damage per second, and an insect cloud that also ticks for over 2k per second. Not to mention the boss’s regular attacks that can hit for upwards of 3k.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

LoopySnoopy.7923

I still think the devs need to look at this; but alas the devs wont do nothing to change it as they keep saying there’s a list of X to do before we can do this… Same old kitten

Posted by: Meili Var.4179

Meili Var.4179

This can still be solo’s as mentioned above, without drama, using stealth consumable.
There is no other way to do it now as the champ is OP. Consumable use is probably the devs way of drawing attention to the fact that other strategies can be used rather than skills. No harm in that, it’s another flavour to the game.

Having done this on several other chars, it was a shock to find it so much harsher now with the champ pouncing and killing so fast.

I had to do it on the ranger, and set my pet to avoid attack and sneaked in from behind the commune, picking the foe off one by one. Then up to the top, killing them on rocks one by one. The pet did not draw aggro because of this. Then I used the stealth consumable and was able to commune.

This was easy only because of the sparks, if there had been undead, it would have been slower and harsher. The environmental effects are always nasty but when that is around, I will pull the foe toward me out of that effect to kill faster.

Good luck!

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’m no more fond of the Champion Risen Noble mobs’ Symbol/teleport/pull plus knockdown every ten seconds than others seem to be. However, I never saw anyone bother to kill this Champion before the Noble Symbol ability was added either.

LoopySnoopy.7923

To be truthful its another flaw in an already flawed game the team who’s job this belongs to wants shooting its been over looked… They want us to cheat as in pretty please wuss out and take the easy route we don’t want you to kill this champion; as he’s a special friend blah blah blah

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I am surprised anyone even bother complaining about a champion that can be bypassed when there are multiple skillpoints that require you to kill champions to even access the skillpoint.

One of my hardest was in the low level norn zone above hoelbrak, its an seemingly easy boss event you have to finish to get to the skillpoint that even my 80 chars have trouble with doing solo.