Is the expansion Charr biased?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Halan.7931

Halan.7931

Ok, not really serious topic, but it seems like the Charr and Asura woulbe be the happiest races, since first are militant anti-theists, and second are science-nerds.

While humans, especially with Balthazar as patron god, would be disappointed lorewise. New identity/ideology for Humans after expansion?

P.S. “Feel the fires of Balthazar”!

(edited by Halan.7931)

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

I think it depends on what role, if any, the other gods play in the story. It’s possible they could be benevolent and helpful, it’s possible they don’t reappear at all, and it’s possible they’re all messed up. I’m looking forward to finding out, and I am interested in how humanity responds to it all, culturally.

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

I don’t see how this could be charr-biased when the trailer is full of human history and human characters. Whether or not it will be satisfying for human PCs is another question — HoT was sylvari-focused but left a lot of unanswered issues for them at the same time, and the game’s general track-record of acknowledging different races is not good in general.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t see how this could be charr-biased when the trailer is full of human history and human characters. Whether or not it will be satisfying for human PCs is another question — HoT was sylvari-focused but left a lot of unanswered issues for them at the same time, and the game’s general track-record of acknowledging different races is not good in general.

The human focus in the trailer could be simply because they’re pushing the nostalgia angle of going back to a GW1 location and that game was entirely human focused because they were the only playable race.

Personally I’m hoping they make use of the existing ability to include race-specific dialogue and give you a slightly different version of the story based on your characters race. Obviously the actual instances and events will be the same, but it would be nice to see a human character struggling with the concept of a god turned villain while a charr would maybe be more concerned about the implications of them actually existing at all, and asura or sylvari wants to ask everyone lots of questions about how exactly this all works and test the boundaries of the gods power…and a norn would probably just see them as another kind of Spirit of the Wild, something to be respected for it’s power but absolutely to be stopped if it’s endangering Tyria.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

What if Balthazar actually has some altruistic goal, and we just do not understand it yet?

In the end humans may love their gods more.

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

What if Balthazar actually has some altruistic goal, and we just do not understand it yet?

I mean its a possibility but his intentions are pretty clear from the trailer. Kill Kralk, steal its power and become the one true god!

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Posted by: brenda.9723

brenda.9723

I think charr players can be happy with the new legend of the revenant elite spec. Dont really play charr so I dont know.

As a sylvari and norn player I really look forward to the story. I think it will have a human focus, and I hope they let me roleplay a bit with the norn and human dynamics (nobility vs own accomplishments).

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

The human focus in the trailer could be simply because they’re pushing the nostalgia angle of going back to a GW1 location

Look how much of the trailer is about Balthazar…

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

In Taimi’s lab, the issue was brought up that if another dragon was destroyed Tyria could be destroyed. Balthazar said he didn’t care about Tyria. So “altruistic” for whom?

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

I think charr players can be happy with the new legend of the revenant elite spec.

Oh yeah, Kalla is a great addition lore-wise, though Glint will be hard to give up. Makes me wish I had a charr revenant. The anti-magic warrior elite sounds right up the charr alley as well (and I do have a charr warrior), it would have made sense for them to have developed something like that by now too.

Posted by: Theege.9783

Theege.9783

As a human player I’m incredibly ticked off. Most of GW2 has been stomping on humans in some form or another—intense Charr propaganda pretty much ridding history of their own genocides while decrying Addleburn on top of the ever-present lie “we killed our gods,” being mostly useless when it comes to pact technology, those who don’t trust the Charr being regarded as foolish for not trusting those who had been known for being genocidal maniacs and were still at war with them until very recently, having one of their few advancements/contributions to the technological side of things made a complete terror by Scarlet… and now, one of the things that may have brought humanity back from the brink is an evil thing and must be destroyed.

As a GW1 player it’s incredibly infuriating.