Is the minstrel qualified to be a legendary?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jenne.1836

Jenne.1836

Hey,

with the last patch coming along with some new halloween items, i realized that the chiroptophobia greatsword’s visual effect is nearly the same as the effect of the minstrel.
In addition, the greatsword got a sound effect (crying bats) when drawing it.
So I asked myself, why does a normal weapon have more effects than a legendary weapon?
Why doesn’t the minstrel have any footprints, an extra aura or some unique sound effects when drawing/using skills?

I don’t know if I am the only one who thinks the minstrel should get another update, but in my opinion it can not be called a legendary any more.

[&AgHgdwAA] – The Minstrel
[&AgH3rgAA] – Chiroptophobia Greatsword Skin

(edited by Jenne.1836)

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

Just allow us to use The Minstrel like a playable instrument and the world will be happy .

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Posted by: kennymarkp.7296

kennymarkp.7296

I’m also questioning why The Minstrel is lacking. I, for one actually crafted the legendary focus because nobody got it (pretty tired of those greatswords) and I think it looked nice on my mesmer. The aesthetic update was an improvement from the earlier version which was even more lacklustering. But the update is nowhere near the other legendary weapons who have auras, footsteps, and so on. And I think many people I’ve talked to want to see The Minstrel having, 1. Notes as footsteps, 2. Playable features like the gem store flute and 3. Some kind of aura.

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

You know a legendary doesn’t qualify as a legendary when it’s precursor costs less than 100g

The Bard, Rodgort, etc

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

To me it is as legendary as any other legendary. But if you don’t like the looks, then by all means don’t get it. Personally, I don’t really like those over-flashy legendaries anyway…the greatsword is awesome, but too many people are wielding it for the greatsword to truly feel epic.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Brighthawk.2705

Brighthawk.2705

Flameseeker Prophecies says “hi”

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

It’s purple, innit?

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

It is legendary even if you don’t see it as such. While it may not have the “Everyone please look at my shiny greatsword that is the size of a house” effect it still is legendary with it’s properties and minor particle effects.

Frankly I prefer the Minstrel over the usual Twilight/Sunrise spam because of its subtle yet good looking visual effects.

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

The minstrel doesn’t have music note footprints?! Wow, missed opportunity there. Le fix, Anet?

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

Flameseeker Prophecies says “hi”

lol yep. The first legendary to be demoted to second tier, and by a halloween skin no less. Ghastly Grinning Shield skin is the new de facto shield legendary given its price and aesthetics.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I’m sure a lot of the legendaries where legendary back in the day when they really stood out amongst other skins. Now they just look outdated.

The only 3 legendary weapons that still look legendary are Bifrost, Sunrise and Twilight. The rest just look meh compared to some of the newer skins.

Posted by: kennymarkp.7296

kennymarkp.7296

The only good thing about The Minstrel, nobody got it. I think I’ve seen it like two or three times during my 2400 hours of gameplay…thus legendary XD

Posted by: Saulius.8430

Saulius.8430

well its offhand.. and mainhand leggies get all the goodies (like auras and footsteps)

The Minstrel was my first legendary. no regrets

kill all ze thingz

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

Every legendary that doesn’t have footglops, I LIKE.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

You know a legendary doesn’t qualify as a legendary when it’s precursor costs less than 100g

The Bard, Rodgort, etc

Eye of Rodgort is not a Legendary it is an Exotic, Mystic Forge skin.

That said it looks amazing- much better than many of the Legendary’s- but that is just my opinion. ( my presciousssss, you will be mine

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

The Bard, Rodgort, etc

That said it looks amazing- much better than many of the Legendary’s- but that is just my opinion. ( my presciousssss, you will be mine

Rogort IS a legendary .. i know i have one. Eye of Rodgort is like you said , an exotic.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rodgort

two different things

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

The Bard, Rodgort, etc

I was refering to the legendary torch (Rodgort) it’s precursor sells for 54g compared with the normal 300g+ for most others.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Posted by: Chrissy Chan.4573

Chrissy Chan.4573

I only dislike the color of The Minstrel. The puke green is rather ugly :P But I like its effects and am pleased that it stacks with my Bolt’s footfalls.

Though it seems since the update Bolt’s footfalls have actually gotten smaller and seem to not last quite as long…

Posted by: Fadaxo.6943

Fadaxo.6943

I bought The Bard to craft The Minstrel but I would like to be refunded because I will have to buy another precursor. The reason is: The Minstrel is not even close to be a legendary, it has poor effects and the effects are worse in Asura. I think Anet must hate focus and love Greatswords. There are a lot of greatswords that are not even ascended and has better effects than The Minstrel. It should have at least an aurea as The Quip or footsteps notes.
Please Arena Net, tell us if it will get an update as soon as possible,we would appreciate that. We deserve one answer about this.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

ahhh @ Farming Flats.5370 and Protoavis.9107 my apologies
I plead tunnel vision brought on by desire for Eye of Rodgort
thanks for the correction!

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

its funny because I had three ghastly shield skins and sold them all for like 40g each last year. I never used shields at the time and barely do now so I didnt care but kitten … dat price

Posted by: Nijjion.2069

Nijjion.2069

Don’t say anything bad about greatsword ok… it’s ANets love child.

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

The Minstrel was a waste of time to get. It’s very lackluster, actually it’s worse then lackluster. First off, it’s ugly. Second the effects are pitiful, and only show when you are wielding it. According to wiki, it emits a harp strum sound effect when drawn. However I’ve yet to hear it.

This weapon is pitiful for a legendary. Anet took the time to update the other ones yet left this one in the dust. If I could refund it, I would.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Anomaly is such a pretty focus in comparison, honestly…. I would never choose The Minstrel over it, despite adoring the musical theme.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

agreed. ive had the anomaly forever. Wish they would make more focus just like that just different colors

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

I have never actually seen someone with the minstrel during my 2700+ hours of play. i definitely agree it should be brought up to par with other legendaries.

Posted by: Mimizu.7340

Mimizu.7340

hmmm…minstrel, you say?

is it a greatsword? the devs just love greatswords…

otherwise, the answer is no

Mimizu Heavy Industries [Doll] – Underworld

Posted by: DakotaCoty.5721

DakotaCoty.5721

Legendary’s that are equipped in the off hand slot don’t have any footfalls, just bear that in mind.

[CG {EU} – Leader] Leading farm guild~193 cRanger~
https://www.twitch.tv/dakotacoty
https://www.facebook.com/RealDakotaCoty/

Posted by: Senbonzakura.9035

Senbonzakura.9035

Legendary’s that are equipped in the off hand slot don’t have any footfalls, just bear that in mind.

If you mean all legendaries equipped as an offhand does not have footfalls that is false. Incinerator, bolt, frostfang, etc all have footfalls when equipped in offhand (if mainhand isnt a legendary with footfalls). If you mean all off-hand only legendary weapons do not have any footfalls, I am pretty sure Rodgort is an offhand with footfalls.

I just made the Minstrel last night. My friends were around the mystic toilet with me while I crafted it and soulbinding/running around with it was quite anti-climatic.

BUT today I ran around with it and it actually looks pretty cool. The particle effects are very subtle and I am really liking it.

If they do update the graphic (which i doubt anet ever will, at least not in another year haha), I wish it would be like a light music note footfall, nothing flashy like the greatswords. The subtlety kinda gets you once you have it for more than a few hours.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

The Bard, Rodgort, etc

Rodgort is awesome tho. O_o

Rodgort has footfalls. o_O

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.