Is the original Guild Wars worth playing?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Keelan.9873

Keelan.9873

Hi all. Name says it all. Answers please.

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

I’d say absolutely yes, if you like its style and enjoy the sort of game it is.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

Its the best game ever made.
It has some of the best dungeons such as UW, Fow, Urgoz, Deep, Doa.
The Pvp in that game was also amazing although it isnt very active as it used to be (game has been out for 7-8+ yrs)
I would recommend picking up a copy and joining an active pve guild to get the most out of it.

You can also link your gw1 account to your gw2 to gain achievement points along with some extremely cool rewards, you can get the details of it here:

https://hom.guildwars2.com/en/
Here is a guide to getting more points faster:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guide_to_earning_Hall_of_Monuments_rewards

You wont regret purchasing it! =)

Posted by: chewienl.9804

chewienl.9804

lore wise i’d say yes, and you get to earn hall of monument points for gw2 aswell to unlock some cosmetics and titles

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

I think it’s still much better than GW2. That being said, it’s an old game and very different from GW2. It’s less about running around and pressing 1 repeatedly and more about tactical combat and character-building.

Posted by: Destai.9603

Destai.9603

Absolutely. The game’s launch heralded in a new approach for MMOs and should be experienced from a lore/history perspective alone. I still wish I had a solid crew to play that game with; I miss monk and mesmer a lot. If you do, don’t expect the combat to be as fresh as GW2’s. The game is older and has some clunkiness to it, but it’s still a classic and worth the money.

Posted by: Zelanard.5806

Zelanard.5806

Its an awesome story. Game play isn’t as smooth as gw2, and no matter what they tell you, its not a MMO. It’s a multi-player RPG with a lobby in each town.

When commenting on a suggestion:
Leave it to A-net to decide whether the suggestion is possible or not.

Posted by: Greyfur.1082

Greyfur.1082

Lore and story wise I would say yes, For Hall of monuments points , yes. Game-play wise for me it sucked. I brought GW when it came out played it a few days and didn’t get back into it until I had been playing GW2 for a year

Posted by: doomfodder.2906

doomfodder.2906

yes yes yes… By far the best game I’ve ever played….

The character “build” system is SO MUCH richer in GW1 than I’ve ever seen in ANY game.

The class types in GW1 are also SO different from each other – each has SPECIFIC strengths and weaknesses – unlike the virtually vanilla class types in GW2 where each has both range & melee, fixed wep skills, any/all traits provide minimal effect on game play style/tactics in any venue, etc…

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Lore and story wise I would say yes, For Hall of monuments points , yes. Game-play wise for me it sucked. I brought GW when it came out played it a few days and didn’t get back into it until I had been playing GW2 for a year

This is what I would echo too. For Lore, story & HoM points, yes play it. I tried to go back and get more HoM points and it is so painful to play for me. But you might like it.

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

It has very good lore and story, yes. But it really depends if you can handle the combat of older games, the combat system hasn’t aged very well.

Posted by: Photonman.6241

Photonman.6241

100% awesome game. Also 100% different from GW2. It’s not even close. Try it but don’t expect the same sort of thing. I really liked the game play actually. Half MMO half RTS. Was a lot of fun. Roll a necro. Everyone complaining was a melee class :P

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

IT’s a fantastic game although dated in its design. If you don’t mind that you will love the game. It also has some features that GW2 doesn’t even have like build templates and a multitude of pvp modes.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

It’s absolutely worth playing. It’s one of the best games ever made imo.

Keelan.9873

Ok, you have convinced me. Now, what class?

Posted by: Jenstone.6891

Jenstone.6891

I started playing GW about 11.5 months after it came out and I played it until the end, with the story transition from GW to GW2. Although, due to a new job and moving, I stopped playing GW for about a year, with the anticipation of GW2.
GW was my first online game, it blew me away with what it offered. I had never experienced anything like it before. I ended up with 27 toons, with 20 of them having finished all 4 of the story lines (Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall, Eye of the North).
As a person who had his own guild, with no one else to play with, with the exception of random friends, hero’s were awesome for me.(real life demands prevented any realistic guild playing)
The best thing about GW was the amount of Lore you were able to attain during the story progression, which now while playing GW2, makes a lot of things make sense.
I do miss the variety of professions but honestly, that is all I miss from GW.
I tried to go back and play a bit after playing GW2 and no thank you.
For me and my play style, GW is ancient history.
But for someone new to the GW genre, sure why not.

Posted by: ckotoc.5421

ckotoc.5421

Sry for asking on anothers thread but if someone wants to buy gw1 with all expansions what’s the option?The site has many editions(platimun,trilogy,nightfall etc).

Keelan.9873

Secondly, where should i buy it. And finally, is the game dying, as in, are there less people playing it?

Lazaar.9123

GW1 is more of a co-op RPG than it is a mmo. There isn’t nearly as many people playing it now, but you’ll still see people in the trading hubs and such. You can play all the content now with npc allies anyway.

http://store.guildwars.com/

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

I bought the Complete Collection (physical only collection of all three campaigns and the expansion in one box) this past August, and have put in over 500 hours into it so far in addition to my GW2 time.

As said above, it’s a very different game, but rooted in the same lore. GW1 combat is very much about positioning, careful pulling, and you and your party’s (of players or AI) use of skills. Combat is a bit more cerebral than GW2’s active/reactive (yet still very fun) combat. The skill system is more like a collectible card game than a typical MMO, and player builds can be incredibly complex. You’ll see a number of familiar skills, but they often have radically different effects.

Purchasing depends on where you are. I was able to get the Complete Collection from a GameStop about a half hour away, and there are still some stores that have it in stock. Otherwise you may have to shop around online to find the right combination of price. To get the full experience, you do want to get all three campaigns plus the Eye of the North expansion. Steam did have all GW1 parts on sale last August or September; so they may do so again at some point.

There aren’t as many players on as there were pre-GW2 of course, but there is still a fair bit of activity. The Great Temple of Balthazar (PvP), Kamadan (Trades and most guild recruitment), Lion’s Arch (how busy it is depends on the time of day), and whatever outposts are associated with the Zaihen missions that day (daily quests that give you good rewards) would be the busiest. During festivals (and one is coming up this Sunday!), you’ll see a lot more activity. You’ll want to play on the US districts in most cases, they tend to be the busiest.

All classes are viable for general PvE (even in hard mode), but some classes with specific builds are more in demand for the hardest content, PvE speedclears and PvP. Basically play what you want, unless you are sure you’re going to be doing something specific that needs a specific class and build.

Also note that you are not locked into your campaign. Once you reach a certain part, you will have the ability to move to a different campaign or the expansion Eye of the North while still maintaining your current campaigns progress. Doing this with Nightfall and Eye of the North allows you to get your heroes (customizable AI) and get more experience and a bit more variety in what you play.

PvXWiki is your encyclopedia of builds for you and your heroes.
GW Wiki is amazingly detailed and a great reference for almost anything you want to do in the game.
The /wiki command works in GW1 almost the same was as it does in GW2 (you just don’t have item link functionality).

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Yes you should buy it.

Yes there are still people playing it – not a lot but I think a decent amount – enough to see you through it.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Paulus magintie.7432

Paulus magintie.7432

I joined in Factions and only got into it seriously with Nightfall (First character to complete a campaign with was my Paragon <3).

I tried to play it after playing this…..I want to dodge every time which cancels my skills out every time…really hard to switch back.

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

Definitely worth playing — in fact.. play all the campaigns and the EotN expansion.

Sorrow’s Furnace US

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

For HoM points, yes.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Zaishen.4985

Zaishen.4985

Hi all. Name says it all. Answers please.

guildwars2 is inferior to guildwars1, so u can imagine, the only problem in guildwars1 is that the devs stoped suporting and creating new things for the game, and the comunity
disbanded because of the lack of content
but in any case, that game was powerful and with potential, they just killed it with guildwars2, just think that guildwars2 is so bad, but the ppl plays it just because of guildwars1, so u can have an idea about how powerful was guildwars1
just think that guildwars1 was superior to wow, blizzard paid alot of 00000000000000000$$$ to shutdown guildwars project, because the game was.., best

(edited by Zaishen.4985)

Lazaar.9123

guildwars2 is inferior to guildwars1, so u can imagine, the only problem in guildwars1 is that the devs stoped suporting and creating new things for the game, and the comunity
disbanded because of the lack of content
but in any case, that game was powerful and with potential, they just killed it with guildwars2, just think that guildwars2 is so bad, but the ppl plays it just because of guildwars1, so u can have an idea about how powerful was guildwars1
just think that guildwars1 was superior to wow, blizzard paid alot of 00000000000000000$$$ to shutdown guildwars project, because the game was.., best

The conspiracy theories are strong in this one.

Zaishen.4985

The conspiracy theories are strong in this one.

For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open. Luke 8:17

:D, they just cant hide

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I recently started playing the original set of games. Heroes makes it pretty much a breeze, but you’ll have to adapt to the gameplay.

It’s worth it if you’re into the lore and/or want the achievements the Hall of Monuments gives in Guild Wars 2.

Otherwise, no, not really.

There are times the original games can be struggle in frustration . . . especially if you don’t study the proper forums to figure out what to do. The pet/hero AI can be a bit wonky.

And, to be effective as a solo player, you must micro-manage your party like mad.

That all said, you will vastly appreciate certain events and sights more in Guild Wars 2 if you have history with Guild Wars 1 . . . like seeing Ogden Stonehealer again and going through the ‘micro’ ascension and fighting your doppelgänger. Or reading certain names on gravestones like Nicholas Sandford and Professor Yakkington at Ebonhawk.

All references to the original Guild Wars.

But, again, be prepared to change your playstyle if you try the original game.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I recently started playing the original set of games. Heroes makes it pretty much a breeze, but you’ll have to adapt to the gameplay.

It’s worth it if you’re into the lore and/or want the achievements the Hall of Monuments gives in Guild Wars 2.

Otherwise, no, not really.

There are times the original games can be struggle in frustration . . . especially if you don’t study the proper forums to figure out what to do. The pet/hero AI can be a bit wonky.

And, to be effective as a solo player, you must micro-manage your party like mad.

That all said, you will vastly appreciate certain events and sights more in Guild Wars 2 if you have history with Guild Wars 1 . . . like seeing Ogden Stonehealer again and going through the ‘micro’ ascension and fighting your doppelgänger. Or reading certain names on gravestones like Nicholas Sandford and Professor Yakkington at Ebonhawk.

All references to the original Guild Wars.

But, again, be prepared to change your playstyle if you try the original game.

Yep, all this. Seeing the lore aspect makes up for the lack of jumping at least anyway.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Ricky Da Man.5064

Ricky Da Man.5064

Make a Sin and run from beacons perch to droknars forge..

Epic right there.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

At this point, Guild wars is a single player game.

Its almost a RTS RPG, where success depends on micromanaging up to AI 7 heroes along with your own hero at the same time.

The last time I was on, the pvp system was dying/dead, so you really are looking at the campaigns. The campaigns are very fun, and there is a ton of stuff to do and explore. But, the engine (no z axis, clunky movement, no auction house) is very dated.

There is probably 60 hours of good non repetitive gameplay just doing the prophecies story. Add another 20 for factions, 40 for nightfall, and 20 for the EotN. Thats before all of the endgame stuff that people do. The game is huge and a good value proposition. This is a game that many spent thousands of hours inside. And 70% is content for max level characters.

Anet quit development on Guild Wars too soon, so quality of life improvements weren’t made. This is very much a 10 year old game with updates that bring it up to par with the standards of 7 years ago.

The graphics hold up fairly well. The story content is ok by video game standards.

Other than the lore, locations, and music, the gameplay is very different. Some GW1 veterans who would have been happy with modern engine Guild Wars have a love/hate relationship with GW2, since it is so different.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

(edited by nekretaal.6485)

Zaishen.4985

clunky movement

honestly, that “clunky movement” from guildwars1 is 10x times better than the failed movement from guildwars2, many ppl is not playing guildwars2 because of the movement, the character moves dry, with delay, and look, i play games since 1999, and i review what i play

(edited by Zaishen.4985)

Posted by: joe.7684

joe.7684

I reinstalled it on my desktop the other night for nostalgia’s sake and might actually go back to playing there with my rit sometime soon.

Posted by: pandas.9450

pandas.9450

If you don’t mind being a loner majority of time, the game is alright
The shrunken community is an awful shame cause the campaign was always fun playing with people.

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

If you’re lucky enough to find a friend to go through the journey, it makes a world of difference. Several missions are FAR easier with two people each with their own heroes and/or henchmen.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

If you’re the kind of player for whom vanilla GW2 was so confusing that you needed the NPE, believe me when I say GW1 will melt your mind.

The possibilities for build-making are endless. No hand-holding either.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Yeah, it’s definitely worthwhile. The campaigns are brilliant.

I’d recommend creating a Prophecies character (as that’s where the whole story begins) and playing through that until you get to Lion’s Arch at least but if it feels like a bit of a slog then create a character in Nightfall or Factions (they’re much better campaigns, IMO, especially Nightfall, as that’s where you begin to get heroes).

As I came very late to GW1 (I started playing about a year before GW2 released) I also bought the skill unlock packs to quickly kit out my heroes, it made a huge difference.

Posted by: Arashi Skysunder.9251

Arashi Skysunder.9251

Oh yes! Elementalist and ritualist were always my favorites. There’s still a community there, albeit not nearly as large as it was. The saved build templates are awesome (and I hope GW2 will do that in the future).

SBI. Sylvari ranger Vine, of Sunder and Lightning (SaL).

[GW1 summer 2005 until GW2 beta in 2012.]

Posted by: darkprecure.6129

darkprecure.6129

My favourites were Ritualist and Mesmer. Just buy the game and start it with Prophecies. You will only be able to pick a Class from the 6 Core-Classes (Monk, Mesmer, Necromancer, Warrior, Elementalist and Ranger), but Prophecies is much better for Beginners and Pre-Searing Ascalon is a very beautiful tutorial. Nightfall and Factions are more fast-paced than Prophecies which might overwhelm you… And it’s better to finish the first two storys before you play through the story of Nightfall.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Yes. It’s an amazing game, that I still play along side GW2. I do think the story is better in GW1 Prophercies, and Eye of the North. The other 2 are good too, but I find my self playing in Prophercies and Eye of the North more than any where else.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

I only recently started playing through it without any prior knowledge to it. It takes some time to get used to, as mechanically it is very different to GW2, but I am thoroughly enjoying the content and story and seeing how it all ties to GW2. Definitely worth a play through. And not to mention the account link bonuses!

Posted by: Oofta.8036

Oofta.8036

No. imho. I did buy it for $30 on Steam. I have never played it before GW2. After playing GW2, going to GW1 was a nightmare of frustration for me. I am sure it takes some time to learn how to play it but I just couldn’t. I ate the $30 loss and moved on.

This was just my experience. You and others may have a better go at it than I.

Posted by: Tru Reptile.6058

Tru Reptile.6058

I’ve played the original since 2005 and still play it more than this game. Yeah, I’d say it’s worth it.