Just Curious :O...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shyhalu.4891

Shyhalu.4891

It seems like most other female gamers I have met while playing this game, play light armor classes. So.. I was just wondering if that is a general trend among female players or if I just know a group of cloth-lovers :P

ANYWAYS!

If you’re a woman.. and don’t mind sharing.. what class do you spend the most time playing? :>

Thank you!
Ms. Nosy

Posted by: Kastylx.2579

Kastylx.2579

I guess its because light/medium armors are “so cute”

My GF plays a guardian and played DK in wow.

Posted by: Eidola.9148

Eidola.9148

I main a Mesmer at the moment, my other level 80 is an Engineer.

I also have an Elementalist I will be leveling next, along with a Ranger and a Thief.

So two light, three medium and zero heavy armor wearing classes!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

My main is an ele, simply because its the class that I presently resonate the best with. She is also the namesake and class of my primary from GW1.

I do play all of the armor types (3 light, 2 medium, and 1 heavy presently), and will eventually have at least one of each class (likely to have the other heavy in the next week or so). When they are all built, I will likely end up spending roughly equal amounts of time between them. I did this a lot in GW1 as well, once my professions were leveled. Different classes work better for different things, for different people. Each class is also its own animal, if you will. Sure, you can make the play styles similar if you want, but they can also be drastically different, which is what I prefer. It keeps things exciting and fun.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

I’m not a woman, but I just realized that both of my female characters are light classes – Mesmer and Elementalist.

Cultural stereotypes I suppose.

Then again, it’s not the only game with these kind of tendencies. Find a woman that plays Street Fighter and about 5:1 chances they main Chun-Li.

Shrugs.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

My first 80 and the class I have played the longest is a Mesmer.
The characters I play most ( my other 80’s) are Ranger and Engi and I find them the most fun.
I have an Ele at 19 and a thief at 20- don’t like thief and struggling with the ele.
No heavy armor classes since I find both Warrior and Guardian dead boring.

All my characters are female btw.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: asperbianca.3196

asperbianca.3196

My main is an ele, but I also have a guardian, ranger, thief, mesmer, and warrior that I play situationly.

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

My reason for having females being the light armor classes is pretty sexist…

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

Now I am curious.

To answer the OP, I main a warrior with twilight, and it’s also named Spartacus. I also have a ranger I sometimes like to play.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: Neve.7134

Neve.7134

I played necromancer, monk and ranger and Guild wars 1 and I’ve created them all to see the differences: now I can say my main is Guardian. I totally love it and love also her heavy armor. I do like also medium t3 for female ranger with that sexy coat. So yummy! w
I’ve created also a Necromancer on which I put the “sailor” light armor just because I’m a biiiiig fan of Sailor Moon

By the way yes I think your thoughts are right; light armors are prettier and very cute because they leave the character’s curvy and sexy too.

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

I’m not a woman, but I just realized that both of my female characters are light classes – Mesmer and Elementalist.

Cultural stereotypes I suppose.

Then again, it’s not the only game with these kind of tendencies. Find a woman that plays Street Fighter and about 5:1 chances they main Chun-Li.

Shrugs.

My two female toons are light and medium.. so you may be on to something.

And.. what’s wrong with Chun-Li? Best Street Fighter there is.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

Justdeifyme.9387

Now I am curious.

To answer the OP, I main a warrior with twilight, and it’s also named Spartacus. I also have a ranger I sometimes like to play.

Okay, you asked for it. Don’t blame anybody else than me for the following sexist comment:

All my female characters, except charr and Norn, are a ranged or a magic class, because I think women have better abilities of patience, concentration, sensitivity and that stuff to be a magic class or a Ranger. Also the animation of my poor little sylvari girl wielding a heavy greatsword makes my protective instinct go wild.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

My wife’s main is a guardian and we have another couple of female guardians in our guild. But I think a lot of women tend to go for the “sexy” look. Of course a lot of men go for the female sexy look too.

Posted by: Laurelinde.4395

Laurelinde.4395

I actually haven’t got a light armour character; main is ranger and I also have a thief and a warrior at 80. Caster classes don’t normally appeal to me as much as fighter/thief archetypes do for some reason – it’s my husband who likes mage types.

Laurelinde & Cookie/Beorna Bearheart
[TWG] – Gunnar’s Hold
Always remember Wheaton’s Law

Shyhalu.4891

Well.. I do have a few female friends who play rangers.. for the cute pets!

I guess I’m fairly stereotypical in that I usually prefer support specs/classes and I was tempted by the cute pets rangers have.. then I saw how bad pet AI was.. and… now I’m playing a Guardian.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

My wife’s main is a guardian and we have another couple of female guardians in our guild. But I think a lot of women tend to go for the “sexy” look. Of course a lot of men go for the female sexy look too.

Haha yeah… my characters are what I am not….. Short, petite, and lovely in their skimptastic cloths XD

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

My wife doesn’t feel comfortable with melee based classes. She currently plays a ranger.

Posted by: Zumy.6318

Zumy.6318

OK Ladies, in order to get valuable statistics about this, imma need your BMI, measures and current locations. Just for the science in it, dont worry, I am not a creep!

Thief | Zumy [Buka]
Legendary counter: Twilight, Bolt, Incinerator, Incinerator Nr. 2, Meteorlogicus, The Dreamer

Posted by: Ash.2175

Ash.2175

I’m a lady and my main is a guardian, but I also have an elementalist and necro. I think my next character will be a ranger, and I do plan on trying out warrior at some point too. Guardian all the way though, easily my most played class.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

OK Ladies, in order to get valuable statistics about this, imma need your BMI, measures and current locations. Just for the science in it, dont worry, I am not a creep!

snicker

BMI – oh please
Measures – now where did I put that measuring tape….
Location – looks out the window Someplace cold and rainy…where they try to make me do this thing called work

~.^

Zumy.6318

snicker
Location – looks out the window Someplace cold and rainy…where they try to make me do this thing called work

~.^

We seem to be at the same place!

at least I tried.

I thought maybe some pretteh lady wanted to meet for some intense 1vs1s. Im a PvP guy, you know.

Thief | Zumy [Buka]
Legendary counter: Twilight, Bolt, Incinerator, Incinerator Nr. 2, Meteorlogicus, The Dreamer

(edited by Zumy.6318)

Shyhalu.4891

I really just created this thread because I AM STRESSING and can’t pick a class.

Also, you sound like you live in Vancouver, Lanfear XP

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Actually I live in Michigan. Close enough haha.

When it comes to picking a class, I say try them all. Make one, play it to like level 5 or 10, make the next one play it for 5 or 10 levels, and so on, until you find one you connect with. (fricking filter, imma smack whoever manages it)

What type of play style do you like? Up close and personal? Mid range with some close quarters on occasion? Or as far back as you can with prayers for no melee range?

Posted by: Faereilos.5106

Faereilos.5106

Lol am I the only girl that enjoys playing male characters and can’t stand playing as a female? Anyways. I have all classes at 80 and I like guard, mesmer, warrior, ele and engie. Necro, thief and ranger are sitting there collecting dust. Which is strange because in other games I always go for the ranged or stealth class, but in this one meleeing is so much more fun.

Zumy.6318

What type of play style do you like? Up close and personal? Mid range with some close quarters on occasion? Or as far back as you can with prayers for no melee range?

OMG. How am I not gonna use this???

I am going out for an Icecream, c u ladies, dont forget the statistics!

Thief | Zumy [Buka]

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Lol am I the only girl that enjoys playing male characters and can’t stand playing as a female? Anyways. I have all classes at 80 and I like guard, mesmer, warrior, ele and engie. Necro, thief and ranger are sitting there collecting dust. Which is strange because in other games I always go for the ranged or stealth class, but in this one meleeing is so much more fun.

I find male characters feel ‘clunky’ to me. I feel slow, and not at all agile. Of course, I like the view for either….

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

This post is a secret trap to find out who the girls are in gw2!

Shyhalu.4891

When it comes to picking a class, I say try them all. Make one, play it to like level 5 or 10, make the next one play it for 5 or 10 levels, and so on, until you find one you connect with. (fricking filter, imma smack whoever manages it)

Haha I guess the problem is that I don’t really know what I want… >.> I like a bit of everything. I really like healing in traditional MMOs.. but in lieu of that I like support classes. I guess there are just trade offs to every class. I also want a class I can bring to PvE, WvW, tPvP.. and feel.. useful >.>; I GUESS.. I have a lot of demands XP Anyways.. I sort of narrowed it down to Necro, Ele and Guardian. I would try engineer but the hobbo packs just turn me off >.>; Sorry.

Thanks for your halp.

Justdeifyme.9387

Haha I guess the problem is that I don’t really know what I want… >.> I like a bit of everything. I really like healing in traditional MMOs.. but in lieu of that I like support classes. I guess there are just trade offs to every class. I also want a class I can bring to PvE, WvW, tPvP.. and feel.. useful >.>; I GUESS.. I have a lot of demands XP Anyways.. I sort of narrowed it down to Necro, Ele and Guardian. I would try engineer but the hobbo packs just turn me off >.>; Sorry.

Thanks for your halp.

Sounds like guardian is the way to go for you.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I can’t speak for tpvp, I don’t play it.

I use my ele in pve and wvw without issue. I tend to play a lot of support as well, although I can dish the pain if I need to. Personally, I play staff, but dagger ele looks fun as well, which falls more into the midrange with some melee range.

Still, they offer you the support option since water heals, and swapping attunements can share various boons (if you trait for it). You might try that one. Its a challenge to get the hang of when to swap attunes, but once you get it, I find it fun.

Edit: Of course, you could make one of each of the three and just try them all….

Justdeifyme.9387

Guardian is very strong in all aspects of the Game. He has a lot of strengthening abilities for warrior groups in PvE, is very strong in any kind of PvP and has crowd control and AoE Buffs vor WvW.

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

All but one of my female characters are medium armor…which is unintentional since I like looking cute, and medium armor is not cute. Light is, and some heavy, but my only non medium armor female is my Asuran…and they wear the male varient.

My prettiest character is probably my male Sylvari…. maybe when I finish using my 9th character slot to do all the beggining personal stories I missed, I will make a light armored female human or something…

Posted by: BakaVicka.7428

BakaVicka.7428

When I picked up GW2 I created a ranger, but after hitting 80 I immediately regretted that decision. So quickly I started to level up an Asura guardian and haven’t looked back since. I love the character and the play style. She looks awesome and is rocking the Braham armor (the horns were just to ridiculous to not pass up)!

I also have a 80 Charr necromancer that I’ve been using a bit more in pvp (but I mix it up between him and my guardian).

Posted by: Celebratty.1632

Celebratty.1632

Ranger, thief, and guard are the ones I play. Just more fun than the light classes, which all seem dull. Admittedly I leveled a Mesmer to 80, but I just use her as a bank alt.

Lulu [LGN] Anvil Rock
Garbage at every profession 2015

Shyhalu.4891

Sounds like I am definitely not the only one with class selection issues :P I guess it’s just as well, since a lot of the achievements seem to require that you play multiple classes. I think for now I’ll work on my Guardian. I really like the culture 3 armor for humans, but I almostttt want to go asura for the amazing dodge animation. THEM DECISIONS YO!

P.s. I really like hearing about everyone’s characters and rationales for particular class/gender/race combos! Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

We also need pictures as well. All for the sake of science of course.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

Ranger and Warrior for me.

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

My fiance plays a Ranger main because they solo easily and she likes “collecting the cute pets”.

She also has a warrior and a guardian though because in most games we play she plays the just run up to an wail on the bad guys character/class, while I play the keep her alive role

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Mmmm I’m a woman, and I have all female characters. My main is an elementalist, but my other two 80s are heavies. I play elementalist because I enjoyed the idea of the class at launch. It was a little challenging though, as I insisted on leveling it with staff. haha.

Anyway, I mainly play Asura too, because they are cuuuuute. That’s my inner femininity squeeing.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I main a Elementalist (had Ele/Monk in Gw1). I have always been very prone to healer classes in MMOs/RPGs, with mage classes being the second most common for me. Over my time in MMOs, it definitely seems to be a woman thing to want to be a healer. :P Of course I’ve known many male healers as well.

Though my second favorite class has been a Guardian lately. And I usually hate warrior type/melee. So Guardian is an interesting mix that I can get into. Its quite fun.

Posted by: Eivene.9127

Eivene.9127

Interesting read so far =)

I’m a woman. My main is an elementalist, then an engineer, mesmer and necro so yes, mostly light classes.

The reason I enjoy them, particularly the ele and engineer, is because they offer more complex gameplay with attunement/kit swapping. They make me work harder for my results. I set out with the idea that I’d level one of each profession, but I just don’t enjoy warrior, guardian or ranger very much because they are more straightforward in comparison. I’m on the fence about the thief.

I do notice that I tend to play my caster classes in melee range, which I never really enjoyed before GW2. This game made melee fun for me, particularly on squishies for the high risk factor. I enjoy playing supportively at times, especially offensive support like crowd control.

Physically, I don’t really like for my characters to look too cutesy. I go for the broadest, most athletic looking body types (it makes sense if they’re going to be running and fighting all day) and my characters tend to be fairly tall.

Perfectionists’ Cult [NICE] - Family Friendly PvE/WvW community
Sanctum of Rall

(edited by Eivene.9127)

Posted by: Wesnoth.1705

Wesnoth.1705

Im not a female, but i got one heavy class female character which i tend to main lately.. i enyoy having this one lady knight sorta character and.. somehow this thread makes me happy x)

What you must learn in gw2 is to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6npO-NoOPOg

(edited by Wesnoth.1705)

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

A very good friend of mine (female) generaly plays either warriors or the closest class to a warrior the game might have, though in WoW she did have a holy priest as secondary.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Eidola.9148

Eidola.9148

Just wanted to comment about the “sexy” stuff… 4 of the 5 characters on my account are Asura, specifically because they use the male version of armor models… well that and the Aura are just terribly cute!

This way none of them look like they just stepped out of a brothel… human light starter armor, for example! O.o

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

Lol I was going through this thread think this exact same thing.

Shyhalu.4891

Lol I was going through this thread think this exact same thing.

Yep I need all the womenz. Going to form a harem /flex.

Posted by: Laurelinde.4395

Laurelinde.4395

Just wanted to comment about the “sexy” stuff… 4 of the 5 characters on my account are Asura, specifically because they use the male version of armor models… well that and the Aura are just terribly cute!

This way none of them look like they just stepped out of a brothel… human light starter armor, for example! O.o

I made my asura as cute as I could possibly manage, and then spent half the time I was levelling her just going ‘Look how cute she is! Oh look at her little feet while she’s swimming! Now look at her do a flip when she jumps!’ I like the contrast between being a sneaky thief who stabs people to death while looking like I’ve escaped from a Disney film. I really must get her a panda hat one of these days.

Laurelinde & Cookie/Beorna Bearheart
[TWG] – Gunnar’s Hold
Always remember Wheaton’s Law

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

Female, playing charr warrior. I just prefer heavy armors and melee combat to casters, more direct, more fun.

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

I have one of each profession and although I do feel that their looks are very important, I don’t play the character based on that. I play the profession that best fits my play style. At the moment I mostly play my necro and ranger.
So play style is most important followed by their looks.

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

I’m a hyper-competitive female player, so my overwhelming focus is on skill and theory-crafting. That said, of my 4 toons the two ladies (Ele and Engi) are dressed as sexy as possible. Because when I pawn someone in WvW during a 1v1, I need to look good doing it – and if I get pawned, I want to die with as much sex appeal as possible – lol.

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by Ision.3207)