January 28th Update Anticipation Thread

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Parisalchuk.9230

Parisalchuk.9230

I honestly don’t really get it. I mean how many events have we had? Enough for people to start understanding Arena Nets way of doing things? I guess not… They always release it the day they say and they always release it during the nighttime of that day unless they notify us of it being released earlier, yet every time i see someone biching about “Its the 29th over here in Hong Kong, yall didnt keep your promise.” They have repeadetly stated they operate on Pacfic Coast timezone. I don’t see why its so hard for some of you, I guess im sorry that you guys play a game where the company operates out of such an unfamiliar timezone that you couldn’t possibly ever figure it out all by yourself.

Sorry, but Anet’s policy for the SEVEN years of GW1 was to set a date and time for their updates. I will take 7 years of their ‘way of doing it’ over the months of GW2… That being said I will continue to be dissapointed that a company refuses to keep its paying customers with information. Its not that hard. They clearly are able to ‘flip a switch’ to switch to the new build, and they should know generally how long it takes to prepare the new build and get it set. Knowing that, its not hard at all to start an event or update at a specific date.

They already did it this way for the Karka update… I dont understand why they reverted to their poor practices.

O O O O I I I O – Spoons and Sporks [Soup] (Retired)
http://www.twitch.tv/parisalchuk

Posted by: Kethryes.5712

Kethryes.5712

• Read dozens of thread with dozen of pages of flamming about time zones *

Now, are there still people who wonder why they always say “when it’s done” rather than giving a precise date?
… Because THIS happen when they give a precise date.

Posted by: eXs.6210

eXs.6210

So imagine you are watching your favorite sport and your favorite team is playing. Now imagine something big is about to happen that decides the outcome of the game that others might (depending on how it turns out) be talking about for some time. Now imagine that your cable company shuts down their network to update or some such right then.

Just about the same thing happening here.

Rofl… post of the year… and what happened? Did anyone die? Did an economy collapse because someone missed seeing a goal? Seriously, if I’m watching something and my tv goes out, you know what I do? Well, actually I don’t know what exactly I do, but I definitely don’t freak out, I go do something else, eat, sleep, drink, party, talk to people, play video games, whatever… if gw2 goes out for a few hours, I go do something else, no one dies, nothing awful happens… relax, your life is not guild wars…

(edited by eXs.6210)

Posted by: Void.4239

Void.4239

still waiting for the news about the coming update…..

Why don’t we get the notes about the update before the release of the update ?
Is it that hard to post notes lets say 2 days before doing the update. not 1 day after
i have almost no idea what will change in the update , only thing i found on the forum is something about guesting. and some rumors about it being a huge update from players.

i like to know what you are gone update before you update it. not after you already made the changes. and i’m not the only 1 that thinks this way.

hope you will consider this for future updates.

cheerz Jim

Parisalchuk.9230

• Read dozens of thread with dozen of pages of flamming about time zones *

Now, are there still people who wonder why they always say “when it’s done” rather than giving a precise date?
… Because THIS happen when they give a precise date.

There is far more complaining about lack of time than there is when they release a precise date.

Posted by: derekisazombie.2359

derekisazombie.2359

WOO! Can’t wait to see WvW! It’s going to be a queue nightmare, But I can’t wait to see culling changes!

Not only WvW though, I’m anxious for just about everything in this patch! (Except Quaggan backpacks…Not really my style). Now if you give me a hog tied and gagged Skritt I can strap to my back, As a lesson to the little kittens I’LL BUY THAT.

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

Hey everybody, please keep in mind that we are in the Pacific time zone and most of us just got into the office within the last hour or so.

what? nice job…i have to be at 7 am and work at 7am

I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: Selebrity.7469

Selebrity.7469

Now if anet could do the simple logical thing and behave as a company with an INTERNATIONAL customer base:

patchday is 28/1 PST.

Yea right its more reasonable to expect that every customer knows anet is pst than expecting that a company with an international customer base puts a simple PST to theirdate/time announcements.

No im not among those who was surprised, im used to the “delay” from playing another international game, that company used timezone to clarify though.

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

o.O here it is almost 1 pm EST and nothing I thought for sure there would be a release sometime this morning.

For everyone who is new to the game…. ANET releases updates later in the day. For someone in EST, that usually is somewhere between 7-9pm.

Parisalchuk.9230

o.O here it is almost 1 pm EST and nothing I thought for sure there would be a release sometime this morning.

For everyone who is new to the game…. ANET releases updates later in the day. For someone in EST, that usually is somewhere between 7-9pm.

Lost Shore – 12pm (noon) PST. Stop spreading false truths. We dont know, it will probably afternoon to evening, but you cannot say with certainty.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

i love how we gota checkmark unfair policies but Anet cant even provide maintenance times for patching, one day gamers will stop being stupid and start asking for fair treatment from this kind of companies

Are you serious? The game has almost zero downtime and when the game patches, usually by the time you download the patch, the servers are ready for you to log in.

Maintenance times for games where downtime can be 1-5 hours is important. For a game with almost zero downtime, not so much.

Assume much? Zero downtime eh? What server have YOU been playing on? My server has had plenty of downtime. But I expect that- it’s a new MMO, nature of the beast. =/

Haven’t seen a server shut down since MAYBE the beginning of October.

You usually just log off and log back on to patch the game. That’s not server downtime.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news go there and you will see many downtimes, and some crashes that happened last week to -.- ignorance is a blessing for some

ahhh, i see. my bad, but thanks for the rudeness.

The reason I haven’t seen one is b/c they tend to happen at 5am PST (8am EST). So i guess that would inconvenience those across the pond.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Sakri.7234

Sakri.7234

Relax, everyone. The patch will hit within the next 5.5 hours since that’s when 28th ends in GMT time zone which is the only logical time zone to use with an international game.

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

i expect some sploiting and some bans and a lot of qq

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

You know what the funniest thing is? If they switched to GMT/UST then all the Americans would be on here complaining about timezones and everyone else would be happy.

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

You know what the funniest thing is? If they switched to GMT/UST then all the Americans would be on here complaining about timezones and everyone else would be happy.

Not me! If they said before midnight on the 28th GMT I’d have it a day early.

Posted by: DaedalusDragon.3754

DaedalusDragon.3754

So imagine you are watching your favorite sport and your favorite team is playing. Now imagine something big is about to happen that decides the outcome of the game that others might (depending on how it turns out) be talking about for some time. Now imagine that your cable company shuts down their network to update or some such right then.

Just about the same thing happening here.

Rofl… post of the year… and what happened? Did anyone die? Did an economy collapse because someone missed seeing a goal? Seriously, if I’m watching something and my tv goes out, you know what I do? Well, actually I don’t know what exactly I do, but I definitely don’t freak out, I go do something else, eat, sleep, drink, party, talk to people, play video games, whatever… if gw2 goes out for a few hours, I go do something else, no one dies, nothing awful happens… relax, your life is not guild wars…

I won? I WON?? I WON POST OF THE YEAR!!!!!! Where’s my money!?

I wasn’t using that to say the world ends, I was trying to say that these patches come out of nowhere, when people might be in the middle of dungeons or FotM or any other thing and this effectively stops them and makes them restart. A general time of an hour or so would really help people prepare for some downtime. I was never trying to say that my life or anybody’s life should be upset by not knowing when this might happen more than a waste of time and an inconvenience.

Posted by: Varkronn.9783

Varkronn.9783

Hey everybody, please keep in mind that we are in the Pacific time zone and most of us just got into the office within the last hour or so.

I hate this growing laziness amongst game developers these days. As if “just got in the office” is some kind of reasonable explanation! With all these iPhonies, PadEyes and Cyborgs there is no excuse for a modern day industry worker not to be productive 24/7. Mr. Katzbach, when we say we want our patch we expect you to put down the steak sandwich you no doubt frivolously purchased during one of your luxuriously decadent “lunch breaks” and give us our patch!

Honestly, the cheek of these guys….

Parisalchuk.9230

Relax, everyone. The patch will hit within the next 5.5 hours since that’s when 28th ends in GMT time zone which is the only logical time zone to use with an international game.

They use PST, not GMT.

Posted by: Sophrael.6538

Sophrael.6538

I think its just sad, that this isnt the first time when people start arguing about the problem with the timezones.
In my opinion its only the fault of the teams who do the localization for the anouncement-pages.
https://www.guildwars2.com/de/the-game/releases/january-2013/
The link above guides you for example to the german version, as you can see (even without knowledge oh the german language) they translated everything according to the english version, the patchdate included.

Is there no way that someone could tell them, that they have to adapt it for the european timezone?
I dont think its to complicated.

Posted by: Svetli.4276

Svetli.4276

XD that is so funny i cant stop ROFL

“What you wish for may not be what she wishes for.” – Skull Knight

Posted by: Krispera.5087

Krispera.5087

I hate this growing laziness amongst game developers these days. As if “just got in the office” is some kind of reasonable explanation! With all these iPhonies, PadEyes and Cyborgs there is no excuse for a modern day industry worker not to be productive 24/7. Mr. Katzbach, when we say we want our patch we expect you to put down the steak sandwich you no doubt frivolously purchased during one of your luxuriously decadent “lunch breaks” and give us our patch!

I’m not sure if it is sarcasm, but I’ll go anyway… Are you serious ? They are not machines, they are humans. I hate this growing view of faster productivity and forgetting about the respect of the human body.

Are you that entitled ? They are not working for your sole existence. They have lives you know. You are surely going to be a good employer.

Fact is, everyone will forget it tomorrow. Go do something more productive than whining on the forum

(edited by Krispera.5087)

Posted by: engnayr.9150

engnayr.9150

Can’t wait for seige to become not soulbound. Then I can sell my weapons to enemy servers and it will be just like real war!

Stratheos, Elementalist
Kaineng

Posted by: Nilm.2984

Nilm.2984

I think its just sad, that this isnt the first time when people start arguing about the problem with the timezones.
In my opinion its only the fault of the teams who do the localization for the anouncement-pages.
https://www.guildwars2.com/de/the-game/releases/january-2013/
The link above guides you for example to the german version, as you can see (even without knowledge oh the german language) they translated everything according to the english version, the patchdate included.

Is there no way that someone could tell them, that they have to adapt it for the european timezone?
I dont think its to complicated.

language does not equal location. They do not post set times for every area in the world, they post the same time for everyone, and state all over that the time they use is there own time. Also if you go in game and set the time to game time, it’s there time, so you could even call it game time if you wanted to.

Parisalchuk.9230

Can’t wait for seige to become not soulbound. Then I can sell my weapons to enemy servers and it will be just like real war!

I could have sworn that they said they werent able to do this… maybe I am thinking of something else.

Posted by: Zexy.1407

Zexy.1407

So something totally different from time zone discussion:

Should I do my daily now or wait for the patch?
If I do it now, should i wait to open the chest?

I want my laurels!

Cheers

EverythingXen.1835

Wow… I think Anet needs to add a “Sarcasm detector” for a few gems on the Trading Post…

Varkronn.9783

So something totally different from time zone discussion:

Should I do my daily now or wait for the patch?
If I do it now, should i wait to open the chest?

I want my laurels!

Cheers

Could try and make a real laurel for full immersion when the patch hits.

Posted by: Chorel.1720

Chorel.1720

I could have sworn that they said they werent able to do this… maybe I am thinking of something else.

I think they’re trying to make blueprints account bound but they are having some issues with it. I don’t see blueprints ever being tradeable.

Posted by: gillius.2856

gillius.2856

oh nice …. so theres a patch coming?

Posted by: CrassBippy.4619

CrassBippy.4619

I honestly don’t really get it. I mean how many events have we had? Enough for people to start understanding Arena Nets way of doing things? I guess not… They always release it the day they say and they always release it during the nighttime of that day unless they notify us of it being released earlier, yet every time i see someone biching about “Its the 29th over here in Hong Kong, yall didnt keep your promise.” They have repeadetly stated they operate on Pacfic Coast timezone. I don’t see why its so hard for some of you, I guess im sorry that you guys play a game where the company operates out of such an unfamiliar timezone that you couldn’t possibly ever figure it out all by yourself.

Sorry, but Anet’s policy for the SEVEN years of GW1 was to set a date and time for their updates. I will take 7 years of their ‘way of doing it’ over the months of GW2… That being said I will continue to be dissapointed that a company refuses to keep its paying customers with information. Its not that hard. They clearly are able to ‘flip a switch’ to switch to the new build, and they should know generally how long it takes to prepare the new build and get it set. Knowing that, its not hard at all to start an event or update at a specific date.

They already did it this way for the Karka update… I dont understand why they reverted to their poor practices.

You sound like the biggest baby right now. like really? does it really matter if it patches tonight? HOW DARE THEY

Bi Furious [Fist] YB

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Take your time!

“A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.”

~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Lost Shore – 12pm (noon) PST. Stop spreading false truths. We dont know, it will probably afternoon to evening, but you cannot say with certainty.

Hence the word “usually”. That said, feel free to come back here later today and tell me I am right.

btw, for the event that you mention, the patch came out in the same time period that I mentioned. The actual event started the next day at 12 PST.

(edited by style.6173)

Posted by: Nalora.7964

Nalora.7964

As with every content patch/update, I am excited with anticipation.
Please don’t fail me Anet. I want to love Guild Wars 2, but my love is fading.
My list of things I will never do, I will never accomplish is growing long.
Please let this update give me something that I can do, that will make the game rewarding and not a dragging grinding work a day chore.

Or let the forum-goers be right, and I will believe I am “just not good enough” for this game, and take their oft repeated advice: Gee, you should quit.

DEMAND Bunny Slippers and a bathrobe!

Posted by: Ghanto.9784

Ghanto.9784

I’m just curious to find out if any of these rewards, like laurel leaves, or whatever they’re called, will be retroactive – meaning, will any of us get them for past achievements? I’m doubting it, but it would be nice. Not thrilled with the idea of having to start from zero to grind for them, but I guess it would be better than having to do dungeons for so many items.

Posted by: LadyRosco.3942

LadyRosco.3942

I’m not sure if it is sarcasm, but I’ll go anyway… Are you serious ? They are not machines, they are humans. I hate this growing view of faster productivity and forgetting about the respect of the human body.

Are you that entitled ? They are not working for your sole existence. They have lives you know. You are surely going to be a good employer.

Fact is, everyone will forget it tomorrow. Go do something more productive than whining on the forum

LMAO! Calm down, that was clearly sarcasm. Honestly, who says iPhonies and PadEyes in seriousness?

Varkronn.9783

You sound like the biggest baby right now. like really? does it really matter if it patches tonight? HOW DARE THEY

Oh Bippy, you clearly aren’t quite on the right wave length, but that’s OK I’ll help.

You see, they are Game Developers, not people. It is an easy mistake as from the exterior they look very much alike, but they do indeed follow a different rule set. When they say they will do something they must put aside such menial things as drinking, breathing and moving so as they can commit their efforts entirely to fulfil this now bare minimum requirement expected of them.

Our complaining helps them be more productive infact they are encouraged by it, so it is best to weigh in!

I myself am angry that my water bottle will soon be empty and now I must go downstairs to fill it and not only is it their fault, the patch STILL isn’t here!

(edited by Varkronn.9783)

Parisalchuk.9230

Here is what I dont understand. From GW1’s twitter:

Guild Wars ?@GuildWars
A reminder that the Canthan New Year starts Thursday at noon Pacific (GMT -8) and ends on Thursday, February 7 at noon Pacific (GMT -8) ^SL

That was posted 10 minutes ago. Look at that everyone, specific times with conversion to GMT. Why is it so hard to do for GW2? I dont think we are being unreasonable at all in wanting to know when an update is going to go live.

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

Guild Wars ?@GuildWars
A reminder that the Canthan New Year starts Thursday at noon Pacific (GMT -8) and ends on Thursday, February 7 at noon Pacific (GMT -8) ^SL

That was posted 10 minutes ago. Look at that everyone, specific times with conversion to GMT. Why is it so hard to do for GW2? I dont think we are being unreasonable at all in wanting to know when an update is going to go live.

Because it’s GW1 and those updates have probably been repeating for years now. This update is new and unexpected things can happen between now and release so it’s best for them to not give a time, otherwise there will be a kitten storm if there is a delay.

EverythingXen.1835

oh nice …. so theres a patch coming?

What? You didnt get the info?

Parisalchuk.9230

Guild Wars ?@GuildWars

Because it’s GW1 and those updates have probably been repeating for years now. This update is new and unexpected things can happen between now and release so it’s best for them to not give a time, otherwise there will be a kitten storm if there is a delay.

I was there for the first Canthan New Year and they STILL had specific times. They always told us dates and times. Not the case for the GW2 dev team I guess.

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

People that keep thinking “oh well gw1 did this with updates” you’re all confusing content updates for a game that was completely instanced with districts to an entire open non instanced based game with separate servers.

Posted by: Mira.4071

Mira.4071

I’m cautiously excited but also a bit worried. I am curious to see what rewards are available for Laurels and wonder how they will impact the economy.

Also would really love to see some significant bug fixes… stuff like the pick up bug shouldn’t still be in this game 5 months after release.

EverythingXen.1835

Guild Wars ?@GuildWars

I was there for the first Canthan New Year and they STILL had specific times. They always told us dates and times. Not the case for the GW2 dev team I guess.

In the interest of full disclosure, did the GW1 team ever miss the window by a few minutes and get tons of crap over it?

Parisalchuk.9230

People that keep thinking “oh well gw1 did this with updates” you’re all confusing content updates for a game that was completely instanced with districts to an entire open non instanced based game with separate servers.

The fact the world is persistant has absolutely NOTHING to do with a patch. In both cases the user will be required to restart their client in order to get the new build. The work required to create the build is one thing, but to push the update and have all users on the new build and activate it at a specific time… there is no effect.

Again, Lost Shores began at a specific, defined time, and it worked out just fine. Clearly they have the capability.

Posted by: TheAngryLuddite.1834

TheAngryLuddite.1834

I would assume it won’t go live before the daily server update… so like 4pm PST? Then again, recall Wintersday didn’t go live until late-ish the day of launch. So who knows.

I’m looking forward to it though!

Parisalchuk.9230

Guild Wars ?@GuildWars

In the interest of full disclosure, did the GW1 team ever miss the window by a few minutes and get tons of crap over it?

There was times where it was missed by a few minutes, but no, generally speaking there was no major complaints. Just like tonight, when the update goes, the complaining will cease because people will be playing rather than using the forums.

Posted by: skorpious.4615

skorpious.4615

Just though I’d ask, but is there going to be any special one-time events during the first patch that we should look out for?

An example would be the Karka assault on Lion’s Arch during the first Lost Shores update.

Posted by: Mrowqa.3861

Mrowqa.3861

Take your time!

“A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.”

~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Seriously You did not just post this ? Good game eventually ? 4 months after realese and still you need i5/i7 Oc’d to 4,5ghz to have 30 fps in WvW.

Posted by: Eddard.2930

Eddard.2930

Aaaaargh.

Please ….

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming like the people in his car.

Varkronn.9783

Just though I’d ask, but is there going to be any special one-time events during the first patch that we should look out for?

An example would be the Karka assault on Lion’s Arch during the first Lost Shores update.

Yeah didn’t you see? There is actually a cave in event in Wayfarer’s and lots of poor Skritt get trapped with a mean Destroyer King called “Varkronnius The Foul”! If you don’t provide him with Destroyer Lodestones he says he’ll eat one Skritt every 5 minutes! Luckily, he is a cousin of mine so if you send me the stones I’ll pass them on to him and there will be no Skritt blood on your hands.

ahem

Should be exciting!

fidgets and crosses fingers