January 28th Update Anticipation Thread

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

I prefer the method A.net uses that doesn’t involve downtime for patches other than the fast download and no patchnotes with a lot of things that are taken out last minute.
In too many games I’ve played over the years there was always a time that the servers would be taken down to apply the patch and often include maintenance, then a long wait for the servers to get up again only to see that a lot of the patchnotes and otherwise communicated changes were taken out last minute; including nice features that were working fine on the public testserver and everyone was waiting for.

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

Here is what I dont understand. From GW1’s twitter:

Guild Wars ?@GuildWars
A reminder that the Canthan New Year starts Thursday at noon Pacific (GMT -8) and ends on Thursday, February 7 at noon Pacific (GMT -8) ^SL

That was posted 10 minutes ago. Look at that everyone, specific times with conversion to GMT. Why is it so hard to do for GW2? I dont think we are being unreasonable at all in wanting to know when an update is going to go live.

Because it’s GW1 and those updates have probably been repeating for years now. This update is new and unexpected things can happen between now and release so it’s best for them to not give a time, otherwise there will be a kitten storm if there is a delay.

I was there for the first Canthan New Year and they STILL had specific times. They always told us dates and times. Not the case for the GW2 dev team I guess.

In the interest of full disclosure, did the GW1 team ever miss the window by a few minutes and get tons of crap over it?

There was times where it was missed by a few minutes, but no, generally speaking there was no major complaints. Just like tonight, when the update goes, the complaining will cease because people will be playing rather than using the forums.

Good to see Anet has has the same respect for their GW2 playerbase then.

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

Guild Wars ?@GuildWars
A reminder that the Canthan New Year starts Thursday at noon Pacific (GMT -8) and ends on Thursday, February 7 at noon Pacific (GMT -8) ^SL

That was posted 10 minutes ago. Look at that everyone, specific times with conversion to GMT. Why is it so hard to do for GW2? I dont think we are being unreasonable at all in wanting to know when an update is going to go live.

Because the Canthan New Year is a seasonal event only that also has been around for several years and hasn’t changed all that much if at all? Can’t compare that to a bigger patch.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I wish a patch introduced banning for pointless complaints; this thread would still be on page 1.
Seriously it’s getting boring to skim through spoiled childs to look for informations.

Go go Anet I hope this patch will be memorable.

Posted by: Parisalchuk.9230

Parisalchuk.9230

I prefer the method A.net uses that doesn’t involve downtime for patches other than the fast download and no patchnotes with a lot of things that are taken out last minute.
In too many games I’ve played over the years there was always a time that the servers would be taken down to apply the patch and often include maintenance, then a long wait for the servers to get up again only to see that a lot of the patchnotes and otherwise communicated changes were taken out last minute; including nice features that were working fine on the public testserver and everyone was waiting for.

GW1 gave specific times and still had the exact same method of grabbing a new build.

Guild Wars ?@GuildWars

Because the Canthan New Year is a seasonal event only that also has been around for several years and hasn’t changed all that much if at all? Can’t compare that to a bigger patch.

In the original canthan new year, they gave specific times. First Halloween, times. Wintersday, times. Literally every event they gave a specific time.

In GW2 Lost Shores, they gave a specific time. Why dont they do it anymore is the question.

O O O O I I I O – Spoons and Sporks [Soup] (Retired)
http://www.twitch.tv/parisalchuk

Posted by: djabelek.1508

djabelek.1508

So is my mind lost or has players in this game gone crazy, not saying the game is perfect but give Anet and Play NC a break. They do happen to be operating on PST (even though play NC is based in TX). So guys the world does not revolve around your time zone if it did we would all be on time for work and all other matters in real life.

Posted by: Varkronn.9783

Varkronn.9783

So is my mind lost or has players in this game gone crazy, not saying the game is perfect but give Anet and Play NC a break. They do happen to be operating on PST (even though play NC is based in TX). So guys the world does not revolve around your time zone if it did we would all be on time for work and all other matters in real life.

You’re mind is lost, PST is a poor man’s excuse. Didn’t you know Devs live in an alternate plane in which they operate in all time-zones simultaneously. Don’t be fooled they are probably playing tiddlywinks and caning chairs those sneaky squabs, all the good folk of this thread are doing is keeping them on track.

Posted by: Orion.7264

Orion.7264

You’re mind is lost, PST is a poor man’s excuse. Didn’t you know Devs live in an alternate plane in which they operate in all time-zones simultaneously. Don’t be fooled they are probably playing tiddlywinks and caning chairs those sneaky squabs, all the good folk of this thread are doing is keeping them on track.

This is true, I have visited Devania myself. It does in fact exist in all time zones. If it weren’t for our vigilant efforts keeping these slackers on track, they’d be jousting in rolling chairs all day long using the excuse: “My code is compiling!”

Arenanet lies.

Posted by: HunterGreen.8071

HunterGreen.8071

I’m seeing a lot of comparisons between Event Times and Update Times. Most updates/patches that I’ve noticed come around 4PM Pacific, around the same time as the Daily Reset.

Event times are completely different. They can start/end those at specific times during the day. For example: Lost Shores was patched prior to the Karka event, then the event started and ended when the “Monkey flipped the switch.”

I’m not expecting the patch for another 4 hours.

I’m willing to admit that I may
not always be right, but I am never wrong.
~Samuel Goldwyn

Posted by: FlyingK.9720

FlyingK.9720

I think a lot of us were expecting the timeline to be a little more like this:

Friday – Finish patch
Saturday / Sunday – mild QA / downtime / load patch
Monday early morning – Patch goes live
Monday – have all day to fix any unexpected problems

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

i love how we gota checkmark unfair policies but Anet cant even provide maintenance times for patching, one day gamers will stop being stupid and start asking for fair treatment from this kind of companies

Are you serious? The game has almost zero downtime and when the game patches, usually by the time you download the patch, the servers are ready for you to log in.

Maintenance times for games where downtime can be 1-5 hours is important. For a game with almost zero downtime, not so much.

Assume much? Zero downtime eh? What server have YOU been playing on? My server has had plenty of downtime. But I expect that- it’s a new MMO, nature of the beast. =/

Really? I think there was only one example of actual down time since launch, when they had to change out some hardware. Other than that, in my over 800 hours of play time, I’ve never had unscheduled downtime and I’ve never had the server not ready for me after downloading a patch (on my 25 Mb/sec fiber optic connection).

I’m on Tarnished Coast (US). My play times usually put me live during patching.

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

Online communities treat devs the way Eric Cartman treats his mother. I guess it’s just a maturity thing that is weirdly low among gamers… although games do aim for a low bar of addictive loot systems and violence so I guess they reap what they sow in a way.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Friday – Finish patch

judging by ANet’s deadlines, I was expecting 23:59 PST

If they say something is going to be released by a certain month, don’t expect it before the 25th at the earliest

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Varkronn.9783

Varkronn.9783

although games do aim for a low bar of addictive loot systems and violence so I guess they reap what they sow in a way.

Rather that than House of Commons Duty 2 and Maize Effect: Commercial Farming in Ghana.

Posted by: Melanie.1240

Melanie.1240

I can’t wait for this patch, I’m very curious to what they have done to AoE’s, as my main is a staff Elementalist (who basically breathes AoE’s xD).

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

Friday – Finish patch

I agree that should always be the goal. In fact, the goal should be to have the patch ready for release the previous Wednesday, with Thursday and Friday for intensive QA testing and last minute fixes. Monday, noon Pacific should always be the “patch by” time, with the hope of pushing the patch a little before that time if everything looked ready on Friday.

That said, I also want them to actually be ready before they push the patch, so I’m not going to moan about the perceived “delays”. The point, though, is that they should never cut things so close that they almost always need more time on Monday to finish up before deeming the patch release worthy and they should always release it as early in the day as possible if it is redeemed release worthy.

Ideally, all these big updates would be finished and debugged by mid week of the week before the announced release and the scope of the content/fixes should be nailed down with that intent. I get the impression that they are always working to cram some last features/fixes right up until the last second, which is never good. If something just barely misses the deadline, better to push it in a mini patch during the coming week than delay everything, imo. (Especially since the game is so “hot fix” ready, requiring no real downtime for the patching process).

Posted by: Freewind.1859

Freewind.1859

Friday – Finish patch

I agree that should always be the goal. In fact, the goal should be to have the patch ready for release the previous Wednesday, with Thursday and Friday for intensive QA testing and last minute fixes. Monday, noon Pacific should always be the “patch by” time, with the hope of pushing the patch a little before that time if everything looked ready on Friday.

That said, I also want them to actually be ready before they push the patch, so I’m not going to moan about the perceived “delays”. The point, though, is that they should never cut things so close that they almost always need more time on Monday to finish up before deeming the patch release worthy and they should always release it as early in the day as possible if it is redeemed release worthy.

Ideally, all these big updates would be finished and debugged by mid week of the week before the announced release and the scope of the content/fixes should be nailed down with that intent. I get the impression that they are always working to cram some last features/fixes right up until the last second, which is never good. If something just barely misses the deadline, better to push it in a mini patch during the coming week than delay everything, imo. (Especially since the game is so “hot fix” ready, requiring no real downtime for the patching process).

In a perfect world sure that’d be nice, but looking at every single MMO out there I do not believe any of them has had major patch as frequent and smooth running as GW2 which does it monthly. They gave a deadline and a warning that no promises will be made on details which is more than plenty for player’s information. I rather have a smooth patch day than reading the patch notes a few hours early.
Besides not all bugs and inadequate design can be noticed by the team right away, example to note is the wintersday recipe exploit. People do find creative ways to exploit

Posted by: kerona.3465

kerona.3465

They all live and work in PST.

Why would they patch a game in GMT when they’re not even awake/at work yet?

Chill out.

To the person above who thinks Necros have low mobility…. Lol. Just lol.

Maguuma [PYRO]
Oblyth, Mes ~ Nadeshiko Naito, War ~ Hwertu, Gua
Evenree, Necro (M) ~ Ran Still Died, Thief

Posted by: Dafomen.7892

Dafomen.7892

In 2.5 hours it will be the 29th in my little corner of the world (also called Europe).

Thats not sooo bad….plenty of time

This won’t end well…

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I can’t wait for this patch, I’m very curious to what they have done to AoE’s, as my main is a staff Elementalist (who basically breathes AoE’s xD).

I’m not at all certain that the AoE “changes” they were considering will make it into this patch. At the least, I hope they have been listening to community FB on this issue and are proceeding cautiously.

Posted by: Theslayernl.5219

Theslayernl.5219

I think you guys are mixing things up, Halloween / Wintersday / Lost Shores had events tied to it, one time events, this patch is start of something bigger with persistent events changing current zones for a longer time. It can’t be compared to previous updates.

You Ain’t Much If You Ain’t Dutch!

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

READY YOUR PITCHFORKS AND LIGHT THE TORCHES!
There’s gonna be a nerf tonight!

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

This thread is hilarious. The game has literally 0 downtime, the least amount of any game currently on the market, and so many leagues away from other MMO’s it isn’t even funny.

The Holiday events all had very specific times associated with them because they were limited time events and were on a set schedule. This is not a holiday event, this is a standard MMO patch.

The developers live in the PST time zone. This means the patch will go live between 7:00am-5:00PM PST… you know… when they work. If your boss told you to come in at 3am on a Monday once a month you would probably laugh in his/her face. Yet you are sitting here demanding that this is what they should do.

Posted by: eboxnet.7562

eboxnet.7562

Posted by: Freewind.1859

Freewind.1859

too many changes to list for dungeons i see O_o well! time to find out later
hopefully game is patching now

Posted by: CC Dalmarus.8397

Previous

CC Dalmarus.8397

Community Coordinator

Update notes are now live! Thanks for your patience all!

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Game-Update-Notes-January-28-2013