Johanson VS Smith: The Precursor Challenge!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kanto.1659

Kanto.1659

Awesome – some awe.

Awful – full of awe.

Neither word actually says whether the awe is good or bad.

I found this awesome. Or is awful?

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

Awesome – some awe.

Awful – full of awe.

I think the number of bugs introduced with every release is awful. I think that releasing content with simple basic oversights (bugs) in them is awful. I’m an IT professional in the Real World (i.e. not gaming). I’d be fired if I did that as regularly as Anet (and every other gaming company) do it.

I’d like to know why new crafting materials were introduced without appropriate slots in the collection bank. Some have since been patched, not all (why did it take a year for a slot to be introduced for Foxfire Clusters, for example? Are you hoping that people will spend Real Money on extra bank space?). I’d like to know why Legendary collections were released that have items that are simply unobtainable in the game (Scarlet’s Prototype Mechanism for The Predator, and for one other leggie, I believe, as an example). And very, very simple fixes have still not been applied. That’s just dandy.

Are you still reading, John Smith? Or do you only reply to people who tell you you have some awe?

Define Awesome

shots fired

and jesus christ Raedwulf, bug fixes take time. stop being a cuck

3 weeks for a few collection items? Good god I hope not. Oh wait…

Welp .. I’m just gonna leave this here: http://www.lizengland.com/blog/2014/04/the-door-problem/

Just because it seems like an easy or simple thing, does not make it so.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

Posted by: Ashreon.2840

Ashreon.2840

Awesome – some awe.

Awful – full of awe.

I think the number of bugs introduced with every release is awful. I think that releasing content with simple basic oversights (bugs) in them is awful. I’m an IT professional in the Real World (i.e. not gaming). I’d be fired if I did that as regularly as Anet (and every other gaming company) do it.

I’d like to know why new crafting materials were introduced without appropriate slots in the collection bank. Some have since been patched, not all (why did it take a year for a slot to be introduced for Foxfire Clusters, for example? Are you hoping that people will spend Real Money on extra bank space?). I’d like to know why Legendary collections were released that have items that are simply unobtainable in the game (Scarlet’s Prototype Mechanism for The Predator, and for one other leggie, I believe, as an example). And very, very simple fixes have still not been applied. That’s just dandy.

Are you still reading, John Smith? Or do you only reply to people who tell you you have some awe?

Define Awesome

shots fired

and jesus christ Raedwulf, bug fixes take time. stop being a cuck

3 weeks for a few collection items? Good god I hope not. Oh wait…

Welp .. I’m just gonna leave this here: http://www.lizengland.com/blog/2014/04/the-door-problem/

Just because it seems like an easy or simple thing, does not make it so.

Worthless link. Funny, but rather worthless.

a) They already have the code necessary to add an item to a collection
b) They already have the code necessary to create a slot for an item in a collection
c) They already have the code which keeps track of whether you remove or add to a collection (such as crafting material collections)
d) They already have the code which keeps track whether or not the collection item has been added before or it is a new item never seen before.
d) It doesn’t take a genius to copy + pasta the code you already have and change the relevant references to fit the new code you want to make.
e) Job done and it wouldn’t take you more than 10min.

I don’t know of any programmers that would be stupid enough to reinvent the wheel. So let’s be honest. It’s just slack not getting those collections right – from the beginning. One could say that with proper Project Management this should not happen.

At least my Software Engineering & Software Design teachers would come down hard on us students if we reinvented the wheel each time.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

d) is done in seconds if the software was developed in the right language and class inheritance gets you all the logic needed in one single line of code.

Posted by: Grim Jr.8946

Grim Jr.8946

wow so many talented programmers here! you guys should get together and make a game i’d totally play it!

Posted by: tinymurder.5791

tinymurder.5791

Awesome – some awe.

Awful – full of awe.

Your interpretation of both of those words is incorrect. Furthermore, it says in the definition whether it is good or bad.

awesome: adjective; extremely impressive or daunting; inspiring great admiration, apprehension, or fear.

awe: noun; a feeling of reverential respect mixed with fear or wonder.

Well, you’re still reading, at least. Not a particularly good answer, but you’re still reading…

As it says, “daunting”, “inspiring awe”. It doesn’t say whether that’s good or bad. The informal is a secondary definition.

The definition of awesome doesn’t include the word awe in it, except when using it in an example. The specific quote is, “inspiring great admiration” not “inspiring awe.” Using a word or part of a word to define itself is circular. I understand your frustration with the bugs in game, but trying to insist that a contrived, trite and wrongly worded argument(like awesome = some awe/awful =full of awe) doesn’t help your case. In fact, it hurts your argument by making you look less intelligent than you are.

tldr: next time leave out the bogus “definitions” and just make your argument.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Legendary is a chore and should be a chore, let’s pour your heart and soul into it. They stated this before btw. I am excited to start my Legendary journey today for Nevermore!

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

tinymurder.5791

Shots missed. As did yours, Skyline. The examples I gave are simple, stupid bugs that should have been picked up in QC and never released in the first place. And should take no time whatsoever to fix. They’ve released how many patches in the last 3 weeks? And did you miss the bit where I said “I’m an IT professional”? I’m an analyst/programmer. I’d be ashamed of myself if stuff like this got out into a live environment. Anet, apparently, aren’t.

And no, I’m not personally blaming John Smith. But he was quick to respond to a sucking-up-to-Anet thread. Responses to more critical comments are… rare, shall I say? Anet’s communication with its players has never been very good when there’s negative stuff around.

1. You say you’re an “IT professional”, so you should know all about how spokespeople are hemmed about with NDAs and public interaction protocols. Which means you know that most of the time, they can’t say anything substantial or useful.

2. Coding and QA/QCing an OS is child’s play compared to most modern video games. Don’t believe me? Check out the stories on The Trenches:http://trenchescomic.com/. Not all of the stories are relevant, but there are some stories from former video game “IT professionals” who are now happily employed in the easier, more relaxed, non-video game computer industry.

3. I really hope your programming skills are amazing, because your interpersonal communication skills leave a lot to be desired.

tinymurder.5791

Worthless link. Funny, but rather worthless.

a) They already have the code necessary to add an item to a collection
b) They already have the code necessary to create a slot for an item in a collection
c) They already have the code which keeps track of whether you remove or add to a collection (such as crafting material collections)
d) They already have the code which keeps track whether or not the collection item has been added before or it is a new item never seen before.
d) It doesn’t take a genius to copy + pasta the code you already have and change the relevant references to fit the new code you want to make.
e) Job done and it wouldn’t take you more than 10min.

I don’t know of any programmers that would be stupid enough to reinvent the wheel. So let’s be honest. It’s just slack not getting those collections right – from the beginning. One could say that with proper Project Management this should not happen.

At least my Software Engineering & Software Design teachers would come down hard on us students if we reinvented the wheel each time.

I believe that you missed the point of the link. It’s not a joke post for “teh lulz”, it’s an allegory about the complexity of modern game programming, and how changing one thing can break five others. Also, he’s talking about how people not involved in the coding can pile on so many conditions to what should be a simple change, that the “simple” change becomes impossible. Things aren’t always so straight forward in the real world as they are in the classroom.

Posted by: Raedwulf.3712

Raedwulf.3712

I really hope your programming skills are amazing, because your interpersonal communication skills leave a lot to be desired.

Whilst your’s are just dandy, are they? Several misguided lectures & two insults in two posts. When it comes to words, I know what I’m talking about. You’re welcome to your different opinion. When it comes to programming & QC, I also know what I’m talking about. You’re welcome to your different opinion.

As for programming, actually I’m no better than competent in my (obscure) 3G / 4G database language. Analysis is my forte. And communication, because that’s what an analyst has to do…

Guild Leader, The White Company, Piken Square

Posted by: vexit.4695

vexit.4695

I’m an IT professional

I’m an analyst/programmer.

Source?

Rofl. You guarantee it, do you? And what do you know? Princess. You didn’t answer my point. Princess. Probably because you can’t. Princess. These are simple stupid errors that in pretty much any other industry, except gaming, would have been picked up in QC (that’s Quality Control – the process of making sure your product works; not QA, which is the process of making sure your QC works. Just so’s you know. Princess.). And corrected at source. Before release. Princess.

Getting this triggered on a forum really drives your point home.

two insults in two posts.

Disagreeing with you is insulting you? News to me. Can you quote the places where he directly attacked you instead of your argument or ability to argue?

(edited by vexit.4695)

tinymurder.5791

I really hope your programming skills are amazing, because your interpersonal communication skills leave a lot to be desired.

Whilst your’s are just dandy, are they? Several misguided lectures & two insults in two posts. When it comes to words, I know what I’m talking about. You’re welcome to your different opinion. When it comes to programming & QC, I also know what I’m talking about. You’re welcome to your different opinion.

As for programming, actually I’m no better than competent in my (obscure) 3G / 4G database language. Analysis is my forte. And communication, because that’s what an analyst has to do…

I never claimed to be the great communicator. I also didn’t claim that two words mean something different from the accepted definitions of those words. So, when it comes to words, you don’t know what you’re talking about. I can also say that you’re posts have been inflammatory, insulting, and come from a position of ignorance. You talk about the non-video game side of the computer industry as being the only valid computer industry, which is nothing more than your opinion. You complain that proper QC should have caught all the bugs in the expansion, as if Microsoft or Apple have never released a flawed product that has to be patched. You admit that you have no experience with producing video games and are merely competent as a programmer. You do acknowledge that analysis is your core competency, which I will take at face value. Somehow this qualifies you to make broad generalizations about a field in which you have zero experience.

If this is an example of your communication skills, how am I or anyone else supposed to take your analysis seriously?

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

All I can say for certain is that it’s rather impressive how many IT professional and programmers play this game. Because I swear, it’s like one out of every ten forum posters have the qualifications to speak with such authority.

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Nice idea, interesting, and fun more than likely.

Selfishly I’d like to have them write a bit of SQL code that would look at players /age then see if they have found a precursor. Break down by hours played, mystic forge, or drop. And if by drop then location and content type (dungeon, WvW, etc).

In any case, let the race begin!

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

And here i thought someone was suing Yohan.

Posted by: SlateSloan.3654

SlateSloan.3654

Good idea, add boettiger to moderate the twitch sessions with beer bottles please

let me entertain you

Posted by: Werdx.2059

Werdx.2059

I saw almost every ‘complain post’ on the forums.

I can tell only one thing,which i know as a fact

Since HoT,people complaining how hard is to get this,or hard is to get that,but in which game you have legendary handed to you?In which game you have endgame items and weapons handed to you.Seems to me they complaining how hard is to get things,just because they want to be first to have them,within days,so they could link their weapons in every chat possible,and make you tube videos,just to show off.

No one ever was born,who could satisfy masses of people.

Take WoW for an example,to obtain legendary weapon,you needed heavy rng or farming until your eyes bleeds out.First 2 legendary items,took some people on journey to this day,because they do not have luck with 00.01% drop.Some of later legendary items require months of farming,doing one dungeon over and over again,and then again,question is will you be able to clear heroic content with your guild or any other guild,because Heroic content of some dungeons,is made for people from top 10 world guilds.

What is point of having legendary within 20 days of release?As far as i know,legendary item here,has no value,and its same as any ascended weapon when comes to dmg.You can preform well in ascended set atm,unless you need legendary to showoff and to be “important” to your guildies.

I have my personal thoughts about HoT and how its done,but i wont bother anyone.I do not like more thing than i like,but something must be behind big wall of effort in order to keep game alive.No point of getting over with game in days.

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

I fully support this.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Raedwulf.3712

Raedwulf.3712

I never claimed to be the great communicator. I also didn’t claim that two words mean something different from the accepted definitions of those words. So, when it comes to words, you don’t know what you’re talking about. I can also say that you’re posts have been inflammatory, insulting, and come from a position of ignorance. You talk about the non-video game side of the computer industry as being the only valid computer industry, which is nothing more than your opinion. You complain that proper QC should have caught all the bugs in the expansion, as if Microsoft or Apple have never released a flawed product that has to be patched. You admit that you have no experience with producing video games and are merely competent as a programmer. You do acknowledge that analysis is your core competency, which I will take at face value. Somehow this qualifies you to make broad generalizations about a field in which you have zero experience.

If this is an example of your communication skills, how am I or anyone else supposed to take your analysis seriously?

You did. The moment you decided you could lay down the law about what I said and about what words mean, you claimed to be a great communicator. And then you sneer at me throughout your post. Great communication?

Do you know what the word “chuffed” means? Cheerful, pleased, over-the-moon, right? Wrong! No, right. No, wrong. No… Confused, yet? See, words change their meanings. Words change according to how people use them. My dear old (dead) dad could remember when “chuffed” meant “cheesed off / unhappy”. The word has changed its meaning over the years.

People also don’t understand intensifiers in English (NB: I’ve no idea whether English is your first language). There are a lot of back-formations in modern English. Things like “For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge” or “Ship High In Transit” (never trust an acronym! ). But they aren’t only confined to acronyms. Try “threshold”, for example. No-one actually knows where it comes from, but it’s not from “holding back the thresh (i.e. straw)”. There would have to be some version of “threshhold” for that to be the case, and there isn’t.

Then there’s words like disgruntled & irregardless. Because disgruntled means “unhappy” (essentially) & dis- is familiar from words such as disappear, people assume it’s a negative. Therefore “gruntled” means “happy”, right? No, wrong.

1. (obsolete) To utter small, low grunts.
2. (obsolete) To complain; to grumble

Dis-, in this case, is an intensifier, not a negative. “To grumble, only more so”, in just the same way that “irregardless” is not the opposite of “regardless”, but regardless only more so.

I never claimed, as I hope you can now appreciate, what awful or awesome meant. I simply pointed out how the words are composed, as a juxtaposition to how people commonly understand them. And if you go back to my original post that you wanted to take issue with, you will see that immediately after I did so, I promptly used “awful” in its generally understood sense. Which of us is ignorant, I wonder? I know there’s an awful lot I don’t know. In many, many spheres, I’m blessedly ignorant. But clever enough not to offer an opinion, because I’m not stupid. You?

Well, you make a lot of generalisations about what I never said. It seems to me (I may be wrong) that I understand words (English ones!) better than you do, and also that I understand IT better than you do. We can talk about that, if you like. But I usually try not to sneer at people. It gets in the way of talking with them.

Incidentally, on the subject of awful /awesome and whether they are negative / positive / neutral words, I am certainly not the first to point this out. It was the late Sir Terry Pratchett who commented about miracles. “It’s a miracle I didn’t hit that tree / lamp-post when I skidded…” Or words to that effect. But miracles aren’t always good.

I experienced this myself on a rainy Sunday morning this summer. Driving back through the village, there was a farm vehicle (a teleporter, if that means anything to you) stopped on the opposite side of the road with a queue of cars behind it. The car in front of me had a front-on collision with another that was braking for the queue of traffic.

The teleporter had a broken pipe somewhere, so oil was all over the road. It was wet, so the oil was floating on the surface. The braking car skidded because of that and came onto my side of the road.

It was a miracle. It was a miracle (bad) that that happened because the car in front of me could easily have been 20 yds further on or further back. It was a miracle (good) because it could easily have been my car with me driving it at that point on the road. If it were me, I could maybe have braked. If I’d not been in a head-on collision, I’d have skidded, gone left, and slid down a 10’ kitten . {oh, for crying out loud, Anet! This is pathetic. A ditch! A ten foot bloody ditch! That slide might have killed me, and you fuss about a word! kitten has more meanings than just “lesbian (derogatory)”. Your filter is beyond belief.} Would I have been any better off? It was still a miracle. I just happened to be on the road at that time, and I happened to be the car behind.

Where words are concerned, how else would you like to lecture us all on where they come from & what they mean?

Guild Leader, The White Company, Piken Square

(edited by Raedwulf.3712)

Posted by: Nath Forge Tempete.1645

Nath Forge Tempete.1645

I agree with Wanze: the OP has missed the entire point of the legendary crafting journey.

Did someone say… JOURNEY?!?

Yeah … the journey from your bank to the trading post =D