Jumping Puzzle is punishingly hard :(

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ofLegends.9853

ofLegends.9853

The present part is the worst.

I want to get at least all the achieves for the title (I’m not going beyond that just to get AP), but this one is really going to be bad. I’ve gotten it once out of like, 20 attempts, with most failed at the present part. I’m sure I’ll get it; after all I just need to do like one a day to make it, but seriously, FIFTEEN times??

Ouch.

Edit to add: I’m not even bad at jumping puzzles and I actually really enjoy them, but VERY few of them would I voluntarily go out and repeat 15 times. Mostly just the pretty ones and certainly not ones with such a random factor.

Edit: To avoid even more confusion in the replies, yes, there IS a “random factor”. There is a bug at the end of the puzzle when you’re walking down the candy cane. It knocks off 80% of your health.

— Former engi main | Bring back my Power Rifle Grenadier!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0OWwwqPxDI

(edited by ofLegends.9853)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

There’s a pattern to it. The best tip I can give is jump immediately after they have all re spawned and be quick about getting to the top. There are certain paths to climbing up which make it easier to do so.

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

The present change was a horrible change last year. Aside from that bit, the JP is wonderful. It’s a shame it’s marred by needing to compete with the others in your instance to get on to the presents first.

ofLegends.9853

I know, I’ve figured that out, but it’s such a random factor.

Not to mention if you actually manage to get past them there are icy blasts which can knock your health down and you have no chance to get to the end. You also need even MORE good RNG, because if there is a big ball rolling at you and you hide on a ledge, and then there are immediately 1-2 red circles after the ball goes, you’re basically screwed because your health ticks off too fast.

15 times. It should have been 5 or 10 at the absolute most.

Ayrilana.1396

Icy blasts follow a pattern and you can dodge through them. I don’t remember having issues with the attacks from the skritt unless I was moving too slow. Most of it followed specific timing with the snowballs.

ofLegends.9853

I just did it again. More and more often I can successfully make it past the stupid presents, only to have my health tick off so fast that it’s impossible to complete the puzzle. I’m doing everything right… The snowman didn’t blast me with ice, so idk what happened.

Super annoying.

Lol, then I got to the very end and made it to the first blue present on the final stretch. Nope, big boulder was close enough to completely knock me off.

15 times. So unreasonable. >:[

Ayrilana.1396

I just did it again. More and more often I can successfully make it past the stupid presents, only to have my health tick off so fast that it’s impossible to complete the puzzle. I’m doing everything right… The snowman didn’t blast me with ice, so idk what happened.

Super annoying.

Are you constantly moving or taking breaks between jumps?

ofLegends.9853

Super annoying.

Are you constantly moving or taking breaks between jumps?

Constantly moving of course.

The problem is there is too much random crap that can totally ruin it and no amount of “skill” really helps. The presents can make you fall, icy blasts can knock your health off, skritt can randomly shoot ice or something at you when you finally make it to the end part, which knocks off so much health that you have no chance of making it.

I’m not complaining that it’s hard, I’m complaining that it’s hard, too much random chance, AND we have to do it 15 times for the achieve/title. I’m not here for advice, I’m here to complain/see if anyone else agrees.

Ayrilana.1396

I’ll have to run it again and see if there’s anything I can say to help you. All I remember is that you could get hit by the Boulder once and still be able to make it.

Posted by: tweeve.3782

tweeve.3782

The presents and Giant Snowballs are difficult, but once you figure out the pattern it is actually easier than the snow flakes.

As for the wind gusts dodge through the first one, the others you dont have to worry about unless you go to high on the peppermint candy to avoid the snowball.

The skritt cannons should not be an issue if your timing is correct.

ofLegends.9853

I’ll have to run it again and see if there’s anything I can say to help you. All I remember is that you could get hit by the Boulder once and still be able to make it.

The few times I’ve been hit by the boulder, it either totally knocked me off the side, or pushed be back downwards in it’s path thus hitting me multiple times.

ofLegends.9853

The presents and Giant Snowballs are difficult, but once you figure out the pattern it is actually easier than the snow flakes.

As for the wind gusts dodge through the first one, the others you dont have to worry about unless you go to high on the peppermint candy to avoid the snowball.

The skritt cannons should not be an issue if your timing is correct.

It will never be easier than the stationary snowflakes where I never have to time my jumps or dodge. The giant snowballs aren’t as bad as the random skritt and icy blasts knocking off health, and the red rings on the ground that are too wide to dodge all the way from one side to the other. If you’re forced to wait too long you just die.

Lothirieth.3408

The giant snowballs aren’t as bad as the random skritt and icy blasts knocking off health, and the red rings on the ground that are too wide to dodge all the way from one side to the other. If you’re forced to wait too long you just die.

Those aren’t random. They’re the same pattern as the past two years.

But, it did feel like we’ve even less time to navigate that area this year. There’s very little room for error on the last stretch. You can only wait for 1 extra snowball or the 1st icy wind from the snowman. Waiting a second time for anything isn’t really possible. Maybe I’m remembering incorrectly but I seem to remember that last stretch being a bit more generous. I’d usually have more health left at the end than I do now.

ofLegends.9853

The giant snowballs aren’t as bad as the random skritt and icy blasts knocking off health, and the red rings on the ground that are too wide to dodge all the way from one side to the other. If you’re forced to wait too long you just die.

Those aren’t random. They’re the same pattern as the past two years.

But, it did feel like we’ve even less time to navigate that area this year. There’s very little room for error on the last stretch. You can only wait for 1 extra snowball or the 1st icy wind from the snowman. Waiting a second time for anything isn’t really possible. Maybe I’m remembering incorrectly but I seem to remember that last stretch being a bit more generous. I’d usually have more health left at the end than I do now.

And how about a player who does everything right the first time and makes it past the presents? They have no way of knowing a skritt is about to throw ice at them and knock almost all their health off, do they? The only warning is “attack!!!” being yelled. Yeah, dodge when you hear it, but they wouldn’t think anything of it. It’s pretty unfair.

And as I said before, you can get some bad luck with boulders going and then 1-2 red rings appearing right after it passes, so then you have to wait for the next one to pass. The red rings are too wide to make it all the way across.

Like I said, usually I really like jumping puzzles, but 15 times is just stupid. They must be really proud of that puzzle.

Lothirieth.3408

And how about a player who does everything right the first time and makes it past the presents? They have no way of knowing a skritt is about to throw ice at them and knock almost all their health off, do they? The only warning is “attack!!!” being yelled. Yeah, dodge when you hear it, but they wouldn’t think anything of it. It’s pretty unfair.

And as I said before, you can get some bad luck with boulders going and then 1-2 red rings appearing right after it passes, so then you have to wait for the next one to pass. The red rings are too wide to make it all the way across.

I just told you: they’re not random. There’s zero unfair about the bit you’re complaining about.

You’ve made it past the presents.. watch out for the blowing wind from the snowman. If you see a short bust of wind, immediately after comes a long one. You run down the candy cane. If the ice ball has just passed, you’re clear to continue on and immediately jump to the side onto the candy platforms on the right… otherwise wait for iceball to pass, then go to the candy platforms.

As soon as the next iceball passes jump back, horizontally, as the skritt will be putting down a red circle. Less than a second worth of waiting and the ice blast has hit and you continue on around the corner to immediately run up the bigger piece of candy that’s sitting sloped. Another iceball will pass, as soon as it has immediately run forward and go to the little bit of candy on the left-hand side. Again, another iceball rolls by. Don’t immediately run forward but wait for the skritt’s attack to land, start running again once it has, jumping to the floaty bits of presents and candy before you’re crushed by the next iceball.

Like I said: not random.

ofLegends.9853

You must not be experiencing what I’m talking about at all.

When you’re on the way down the candy cane stick, AFTER the snowman, you hear a skritt yell “attack!” or “get it!” or something like that, and if you do not dodge or are too early/late, ALL of your health is gone except like 600 hp. This is before you even get to where the boulder is rolling. There is no red ring which appears on the stick.

Maybe you need to do it a few more times or something, cause it sounds like you’ve only done it once or twice this year and something might have been changed.

Lothirieth.3408

When you’re on the way down the candy cane stick, AFTER the snowman, you hear a skritt yell “attack!” or “get it!” or something like that, and if you do not dodge or are too early/late, ALL of your health is gone except like 600 hp. This is before you even get to where the boulder is rolling. There is no red ring which appears on the stick.

Maybe you need to do it a few more times or something, cause it sounds like you’ve only done it once or twice this year and something might have been changed.

Lol hardly. Made it past that point more than “one or twice”. Maybe you need to improve on recognising the patterns as besides my perception of the time allowance to work through that section possibly being decreased, nothing changed regarding the skritt attack patterns. Or maybe stop standing there waiting on the candy cane.. again.. patterns…

ofLegends.9853

Lol hardly. Made it past that point more than “one or twice”. Maybe you need to improve on recognising the patterns as besides my perception of the time allowance to work through that section possibly being decreased, nothing changed regarding the skritt attack patterns. Or maybe stop standing there waiting on the candy cane.. again.. patterns…

So you came in here to troll a frustrated player. I see.

You made no mention at all of the part which I just pointed out, so apparently there is no “pattern” for it. After I pointed it out your response is “lol stop standing there lol”. Nice. But since it makes you feel better to be kitteny, go ahead, nobody is stopping you.

Ayrilana.1396

Nothing seems different with the exception that I’m more consistently hitting that fall bug while running down the candy cane after the presents.

Posted by: Klonex.4562

Klonex.4562

it’s absolutely easy, if you’re having that much trouble with it then let someone go fist and wait until all the gifts reappea. as soon as they do take the middle rout. if you’re still having that much trouble with it then look at people go first to see how they do it or watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVD17m8Vzb8&list=UU_ZmZHgQZQfjKviHYgtlFqA – enjoy

~Krystal <3 Angela ~
~ I taught cows how to Moo! ~

ofLegends.9853

Nothing seems different with the exception that I’m more consistently hitting that fall bug while running down the candy cane after the presents.

Which fall bug is that?

Ayrilana.1396

Which fall bug is that?

The one you normally see if you jump down a hill and take fall damage as you walk down it. I think the one in the JP is tied to if you dodge roll down the candy cane.

This is a video of the bug:

ofLegends.9853

Which fall bug is that?

The one you normally see if you jump down a hill and take fall damage as you walk down it. I think the one in the JP is tied to if you dodge roll down the candy cane.

This is a video of the bug:

That’s similar to what’s happening to me, except it leaves me with about 600 health and seems to only happen right after the skritt yell.

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

I jumped into the final big present and it bugged resetting me at the beginning. Other than that I saw no other concerns. It’s really a rythem/timing type puzzle. Learn the patterns and keep up a good pace and it’s all snow globe;-)

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast

ofLegends.9853

I keep getting “learn the patterns” which I have basically done now after like 50 attempts, but there is still that weird thing which keeps knocking off my health. Some other poster was rude about it, and another one says it’s a bug.

If it’s the bug, then it’s really bad It basically ruins your entire attempt.

Posted by: Lamir.6702

Lamir.6702

I would recommend that you make sure to utilize your dodges on the last snowball part – it can help a lot trying to get to a safe zone and outrun the skritt cannons. Other than that the patterns are fixed so it’s just a matter of practice getting to move quickly and avoid the hazards.

The fall damage is a bug, I remember it happening last year a couple times. Jumping instead of using WASD/moving should help a little I believe.

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

It’s super easy really, you can get unlucky every now and then, but unless you suck at JP in general, which happens, there’s nothing hard about it.

Posted by: InfernoCrossing.8063

InfernoCrossing.8063

Are you absolutely sure you’re not running into the snowball-cannon-thing AoE? What you’re describing sounds like you keep bumping into them. Keep in mind they use the old AoE indicators (red rings) instead of the new ones (big red-orange circles).

I’d love to help you out personally, since this is my favorite Wintersday activity, but we’re on different region servers.

[Stormbluff Isle since September ’12] |VZ|
Ragnarune | Lily Vinheim | Voirdere
Viezza

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

About those cannons, keep in mind that it takes time for projectiles to reach the impact zone, so if you’re far away from cannon (the ledge, right after first present boxes part) you should wait a little before dodge, but if you’re near the cannon, right before last present boxes part, you either should dodge immediately or just wait outside of the impact area a little. And on last present boxes part try to stick with large blue boxes and candy canes. Also keep an eye on Snowmans, they can blow you out, pass when the wind is not blowing.

(edited by wasted.6817)

ofLegends.9853

Nope, it’s not the cannons with red circles. This is something else entirely. It happens BEFORE you get to the boulder part, while you’re still on the candy cane stick. If you don’t dodge you die in another 2 ticks. I’m not having problems with the red circles.

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

Sounds like regular killer stairs to me.

Posted by: Embrace The Bold.7619

Embrace The Bold.7619

Super annoying.

Lol, then I got to the very end and made it to the first blue present on the final stretch. Nope, big boulder was close enough to completely knock me off.

What you are describing is a bug which i have encountered. It usually occurs after presents while going down that candy cane ramp to the snow balls. For some reason you take maybe 80% of your hp from two different attacks (so about 40% each hit) If this happens it’s impossible to complete the puzzle. Basically Anet made the puzzle super bugy and even more annoying than last year.

The Sickest Guild NA

Posted by: InfernoCrossing.8063

InfernoCrossing.8063

Alright, yeah. It’s most likely the fall damage glitch, then. I noticed it’s a lot more ramped up this time around compared to last year. It’s at the point where I walk down in small bursts to avoid dieing. Try going down slowly and see if that helps?

The other explanation is that you’re being hit by the gust of wind, but you’ve already ruled that out.

[Stormbluff Isle since September ’12] |VZ|
Ragnarune | Lily Vinheim | Voirdere
Viezza

ofLegends.9853

If you dodge right after the skritt yells, you can avoid the huge burst of damage.

ofLegends.9853

Super annoying.

What you are describing is a bug which i have encountered. It usually occurs after presents while going down that candy cane ramp to the snow balls. For some reason you take maybe 80% of your hp from two different attacks (so about 40% each hit) If this happens it’s impossible to complete the puzzle. Basically Anet made the puzzle super bugy and even more annoying than last year.

Thanks, I knew something was up. My original complaint was the puzzle felt so hard and unfair and had to be done 15 times. Now I know it feels that way because it’s so buggy. They really should have nerfed the number of completions. My husband refuses to try for it at all after watching me fail over stupid bugs I can’t control. I even watched some person float in the air after the presents fell. They really need to fix this puzzle.

Bubi.7942

OP, this is what’s happening to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ASH-aO1RwQ

It’s quite common in WvW, seen it a few times in PvE as well. Have not yet experienced it on the JP.

I would recommend keep jumping while running down the slope. That should solve it.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There’s nothing random about the jumping puzzle. Once you get the timing right, you have the timing right and you can farm it. It seems random because you’re not seeing the pattern. The only time I don’t succeed on this puzzle is when I make a mistake.

But the actual jumping is hard, there’s no question about it.

As for it not being fair that some skritt shoot you even though you’ve done everything right the first time, it depends on what you mean by fair.

Every jumping PUZZLE is just that. It’s something you have to figure it out. If you die, you learn something and you have to jump back to that point to figure out a bit more. But it is figure outable. You can do it.

Sure it’s frustrating to have to restart, and the amount of stuff going on makes it harder to figure out the patterns…but there are patterns.

It’s not like people aren’t on these forums every day asking for harder content.

ofLegends.9853

As I pointed out to someone else, I’m not one of those people who wants harder content. I’m new.

Second, did you read the thread at all? A few people have confirmed there is a bug which, yes, is both random and unfair.

For the record, now I have the achieve and I’m never doing that horrible, stupid puzzle again. But I have it in spite of the bug, not because I have 1337 skill.

Bubi.7942

There’s nothing random about the jumping puzzle. Once you get the timing right, you have the timing right and you can farm it. It seems random because you’re not seeing the pattern. The only time I don’t succeed on this puzzle is when I make a mistake.

But the actual jumping is hard, there’s no question about it.

As for it not being fair that some skritt shoot you even though you’ve done everything right the first time, it depends on what you mean by fair.

Every jumping PUZZLE is just that. It’s something you have to figure it out. If you die, you learn something and you have to jump back to that point to figure out a bit more. But it is figure outable. You can do it.

Sure it’s frustrating to have to restart, and the amount of stuff going on makes it harder to figure out the patterns…but there are patterns.

It’s not like people aren’t on these forums every day asking for harder content.

Please read what his actual problem is.

Posted by: ShadowKatt.6804

ShadowKatt.6804

Last year, this kicked my butt over and over and over… it was like a week of trying on and off before I made it.
This year… made it on maybe my 6th attempt.

You’ll get the hang of it… just keep at it

ofLegends.9853

Last year, this kicked my butt over and over and over… it was like a week of trying on and off before I made it.
This year… made it on maybe my 6th attempt.

You’ll get the hang of it… just keep at it

What gets me is people insisting I must be “bad” or “lol learn the patterns”, when really my struggles are the result of a bug.

Bubi.7942

Well at this point no one will read the thread cause it’s too long. What you will be experiencing here from now on is:

Guy looks at thread name → Sees “hard” in it → posts “nice” or “not so nice” l2p comment

I suggest moving on, you’ll just get mad looking back at this thread. Bug will not get fixed, it was in game since beta. Merry Wintersday!

Posted by: Gilgalas.7860

Gilgalas.7860

Hello,

I never encountered this bug before but given that the candy cane takes you downhill, you may be victim of the infamous “downhill slope” bug which makes that moving downward along a steep slope may induce the server to evaluate that you are free falling and deal you according damage.

If it is this bug you are suffering from, try jumping repetedly while moving along the candy cane.

As for the gift jumping part, wait next to the campfire and take time watching how it operates several times. There are 3-5 path that will always take you up to the candy cane.

ofLegends.9853

Well I was stupid anyway, I thought you HAD to do this to get the meta achieve. I’m happy you don’t and wish I’d notice the “infinite” below the title.

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

Now, this is the third Wintersday for me, and I tried the JP yesterday and finished it on the first try. Maybe it’s because I’ve done it before, but it’s really not that kittence you realize the presents seem to have a pattern (stand around a bit and see if you figure anything out) and if you manage to avoid the red circles. Just don’t go into them. For me doing the JP feels like clockwork.

EDIT: heh, screw the slope-fall bug. Srsly. Haven’t seen it in the JP though.

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

ofLegends.9853

Now, this is the third Wintersday for me, and I tried the JP yesterday and finished it on the first try. Maybe it’s because I’ve done it before, but it’s really not that kittence you realize the presents seem to have a pattern (stand around a bit and see if you figure anything out) and if you manage to avoid the red circles. Just don’t go into them. For me doing the JP feels like clockwork.

EDIT: heh, screw the slope-fall bug. Srsly. Haven’t seen it in the JP though.

For some reason it happens to me every time without fail.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Super annoying.

Wintersday is active for 4 weeks; you’ve apparently done it twice (at least) already… do it once a day, or even every other day, and you’ll still be done in time.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: trampled underfoot.4523

trampled underfoot.4523

If you think this is hard you evidently haven’t attempted the Mad Clock JP during Halloween

Posted by: Bram.9802

Bram.9802

I’d do mad clock any day over this unfair frustrating mess.

ofLegends.9853

If you think this is hard you evidently haven’t attempted the Mad Clock JP during Halloween

I did and it was actually easier because it wasn’t unplayably bugged. Took actual skill and timing instead of “oh you made it? LOL BUG DIE!!”