Just hit lvl 80, what now? :(

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: morrowson.9245

morrowson.9245

I just got my gaurdian to lvl 80. What are some things that I can do now? I’d like to try world pvp or any other type of pvp. Also, I noticed where my level was on the HUD, theres now a yellow symbol with 0 beside it – what is this?

Also, how should I skill my gaurdian. If a more experienced gaurdian could give me any tips on what skills they use most, etc that would be helpful.

Also, what stats should I look for on armor/ weapon? Toughness and vit?

Posted by: Teaniel.9052

Teaniel.9052

Here are some suggestions. You should check out the wiki for more information. (If you don’t know already, you can type /wiki [something you want to look up] in the chat box, and it will open the wiki in your browser.)

New stuff you can do:
The yellow numbers track your masteries. Begin your HoT story (no need to finish personal story first) to unlock them. Activate it in the story tab of the hero panel. If you can, do this before you do any more PvE, or your xp is going to waste. You’ll want at least rare gear, though (yellow border, or orange for exotic).

Fractals through a gate in Lion’s arch. 5 people is recommended, but early ones can be done with two or three without too much difficulty. Later ones will require some ascended gear, but you don’t need it to start.

Go to the Silverwastes or Drytop (between Brisban Wildlands and HoT maps). HoT isn’t required, and the Silverwastes is still a good place to earn gold. Events here are a bit more challenging, and require some coordination across the map.

Finish your personal story, if you haven’t yet. (Though it’s not essential if you don’t enjoy it).

Defeat world bosses. Tequatl is fun, and has a chance for valuable drops.

Keep exploring the map. Tyria is huge, and there’s plenty you haven’t seen yet.

We’re going to devote our energies to sports, gardening, all the cultural pursuits;
in fact, we’re going to put the goons to sleep.
Meanwhile – we dig.

Teaniel.9052

Gear:
Get rare (yellow border) at minimum, but for most things, you’ll definitely want exotic. There are a couple ways to get exotic gear: crafting, ordering on the TP, purchasing for karma, bandit crests, or dungeon currencies, or playing PvP matches. I’d recommend the last option (unless you already have bandit crests from WvW).

As for stats, Berserker (power, precision, ferocity) is meta, though some people like to start with Soldiers (power, toughness, vitality) as a tankier option as they learn to play. You can of course, mix and match to get something in between. Condition damage isn’t bad for a guard since you passively burn anyway thanks to your virtues. This is a handy page: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Equipment_acquisition_by_stats
Dungeon gear is available as a PvP as well as a dungeon reward.

PvP (5 v 5):
Click the crossed swords icon at the top of your screen and enter the PvP lobby. Once it loads, click on the new helmet icon that is now at the top of the screen, in the center. Here you set your PvP build (make sure to look at all the tabs!). All skills (including dragonhunter, if you have HoT) and all stats are unlocked for free. I’d recommend trying this build: http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Dragonhunter_-_Meditrapper (Metabattle is a good site to find build ideas for everything, and will show you what’s currently meta).

Explore the lobby a little (I think you’ll be offered a tour when you arrive). There are practice npcs to test your build on. Read about the strategy for your build on metabattle, and the PvP maps on the wiki: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Conquest

When you’re ready, go back to the regular PvP panel, and click on the chest tab. Select a reward track – among other loot, dungeon tracks give exotic weapons periodically and an armor chest at the very end; glorious track gives an armor chest at the end. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Reward_Track (These tracks will still advance even if you lose, just not as much)

Then go back to the first page and enter the queue for unranked (Wait to try the league until you know what you’re doing )

I don’t know much about WvW except that it’s limping right now and needs some fixes.

We’re going to devote our energies to sports, gardening, all the cultural pursuits;
Meanwhile – we dig.

(edited by Teaniel.9052)

Teaniel.9052

Excuse the wall of text!
There’s a lot to explain. The guard forum might have more guard-specific advice for you. You probably want to find a nice guild to help you figure things out. (There’s a subforum for that too! -bottom of the page).
Hope this helps. Welcome to level 80!

Meanwhile – we dig.

morrowson.9245

Thx alot guys. I actually already bought soldier exotic set on the TP. All my gear is power/toughness/vitality. Rings, amulets, everything. And I need about 100 hero points for my elite spec so I guess the best way for them is just to grind out hero challenges on maps?

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Thx alot guys. I actually already bought soldier exotic set on the TP. All my gear is power/toughness/vitality. Rings, amulets, everything. And I need about 100 hero points for my elite spec so I guess the best way for them is just to grind out hero challenges on maps?

Hero challenges in core Tyria are worth 1 point, they are each worth 10 points in Heart of Thorns. If you do world completion you will still need 3 to 4 Hero challenges in the Heart of Thorns area to get the complete elite spec.

Teaniel.9052

HoT hero challenges are worth 10 hero points each, so those will probably go faster. Many are champs and you’ll want help (but so do others, so ask on map chat), but some are communes. You’ll need at least gliding mastery and probably bouncing mushrooms and updrafts to get around easily, though.
It looks like dulfy has some nice guides: http://dulfy.net/2015/10/25/gw2-verdant-brinks-hero-points-guide/
Maybe I should look at those…

Meanwhile – we dig.

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Since you mentioned WvW as something you’d like to do, it might be worth noting that you also get hero points when you gain a rank. Soldier gear is fine for WvW too.

morrowson.9245

I don’t see how to start the HoT questlines. I don’t see how to start the TOrn From the Sky Quest, which it says I need

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Go to your hero panel . From there, open the story journal . Once in the story journal, choose Heart of Thorns from the menu, then “play/continue this story” (or something similar).

If you haven’t started the HoT story at all, it’ll probably direct you to “Rally to Maguuma”, which will lead you directly into the mission “Torn from the Sky”. You have to play through the prologue to access that mission.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Level 80 is really just the beginning.

• You’d likely have more of your personal story to go through, since the final chapter which is three times longer than any other chapter is for level 80s.
  • Season 2 story, as well as the Heart of Thorns story, if you bought them (Note: the personal story, focusing on Zhaitan, is not Season 1 – Season 1 was a series of temporary content updates which are not accessible anymore, though there is a Season 1 recap for half of the story – the half that gets continued in Season 2).
  • Map completion
  • Achievement hunting
  • Working on Ascended gear
  • Dungeons/fractals/raids
  • Level 80 zones, such as Cursed Shore, Southsun Cove, Dry Top, Silverwastes, and all HoT maps

And more.

One important thing to note is that in GW2, you get downscaled so anything you can do at any time will still be a ‘challenge’ (in that you aren’t invincible to everything underleveled). So really anything in the game is “what to do now”.

You also don’t need to be level 80 to PvP or WvW as you get upscaled, though in the latter case being level 80 does help quite a bit.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Posted by: mastergreki.8017

mastergreki.8017

my friend if you give a chance to PvP you’ll discover an vast new experience to explore and progress through. PvP in GW2 is very exciting and challenging, its one the best Ive ever played honestly. Great fusion of tactical and action.
And as you go further on, you’ll feel the desire to explore all the classes of the game and understand them all so you and your team can sinergise and dominate in the arena. It’s great fun, try it!

Posted by: nica.5829

nica.5829

Smile and enjoy the game! Maybe find a friendly guild to play with

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

“Just hit lvl 80, what now?”

Well, you flip out that big ‘ole wallet ya got there, and ya go to the gem store. Once there, spend alot of money gems, while buying completely meaningless things like pet rocks and outfits that you really can’t customize. Then, after you realize thats not giving you a fun and unique look, just start turning that hard earned cash into gems, and from there, gems to gold. Then, and only then, will you be able to really experience the fun of this game as you realize it costs right around $1000 to buy the materials to craft a legendary. Or, you could just grind for the materials, and wished you’d made better life decisions. Good luck!

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

“Just hit lvl 80, what now?”

Well, you flip out that big ‘ole wallet ya got there, and ya go to the gem store. Once there, spend alot of money gems, while buying completely meaningless things like pet rocks and outfits that you really can’t customize. Then, after you realize thats not giving you a fun and unique look, just start turning that hard earned cash into gems, and from there, gems to gold. Then, and only then, will you be able to really experience the fun of this game as you realize it costs right around $1000 to buy the materials to craft a legendary. Or, you could just grind for the materials, and wished you’d made better life decisions. Good luck!

Or instead of obsses over the game, decide that legendarys are longterm goals which do not have to be completed day 1 or day 30. Play parts of the rest of the game you enjoy and eventually reach your goal. Or if nothing is fun to you, leave for another game.

But sure, let’s give the old “buy it with real $$$” advice. Only problem is, if the game wasn’t fun beforehand, having that nice new legendary will not make it any more fun afterwards. It remains the same game.