Kek, kappa .... What?

Kek, kappa .... What?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

What is it with all people who are finishing their sentences with kek, kappa and stuff? I mean they start to sound like pokemons or Moogles :P

It is starting to get annoying so I would want an explenation atleast.

Kupo!

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: jacceb.7918

jacceb.7918

I don’t know kappa

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Kek is a carryover from WoW. The two opposing sides in that game can’t speak to each other. Kek is lol translated from hoarde as seen by alliance, iirc.

That is, a hoarde player will type lol in chat and an alliance player sees kek in the hordes player’s chat.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Kek, kappa .... What?

Just a flesh wound.3589

Kappa seems to be the longhand version of /s. It means sarcasm or don’t believe this.

Urban Dictionary

ANet may give it to you.

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Kek is a carryover from WoW. The two opposing sides in that game can’t speak to each other. Kek is lol translated from hoarde as seen by alliance, iirc.

That is, a hoarde player will type lol in chat and an alliance player sees kek in the hordes player’s chat.

Kappa seems to be the longhand version of /s. It means sarcasm or don’t believe this.

Urban Dictionary

Cool, thank you

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Kek, kappa .... What?

Just a flesh wound.3589

Kek

Kappa

:P

ANet may give it to you.

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Kappa is the Asura that trains pygmy moas for money

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

Which is, in turn, a nod to StarCraft’s Korean players, in which “kekeke” is a sort of “hahaha”.

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: bladex.9502

bladex.9502

Kappa is a twitch emote used to indicate something is sarcastic

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

This is from the first Guild Wars
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Kappa

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Which is, in turn, a nod to StarCraft’s Korean players, in which “kekeke” is a sort of “hahaha”.

Interesting.

I knew about “kek” being the Horde for “lol”, in WoW, but not the origins of why that was the case.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

It’s an awful twitch meme for sarcasm that stomps all over Japanese turtle culture. I personally find it offensive. People started using it for the sake of using it just because they saw it used so often so it barely even holds on to it’s sarcasm purpose and is simply just there as an infected sheep.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: Artanis.4963

Artanis.4963

It’s an awful twitch meme for sarcasm that stomps all over Japanese turtle culture. I personally find it offensive. People started using it for the sake of using it just because they saw it used so often so it barely even holds on to it’s sarcasm purpose and is simply just there as an infected sheep.

Odd. I thought it was just a reference to the Greek letter ?. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa

Edit: It ate my letter. How do Greek players even use this forum? Kek.

(edited by Artanis.4963)

Kek, kappa .... What?

Just a flesh wound.3589

Possibly, but I would assume it’s just a coincidence. I’ve never seen a sentence and its translation written out but I doubt Blizzard put a lot of effort in it. It’s more likely the consonants are shifted over by one (k instead of L) and the vowels are also shifted over by some number.

Maybe someone who plays WoW can comment if it’s shifted over or not?

ANet may give it to you.

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

Possibly, but I would assume it’s just a coincidence. I’ve never seen a sentence and its translation written out but I doubt Blizzard put a lot of effort in it. It’s more likely the consonants are shifted over by one (k instead of L) and the vowels are also shifted over by some number.

They’re not switched over, or displaced. It’s a cipher.

The “kekeke” is only really used by S. Koreans in online games, and it started in SC. There’s a key in korean keyboards that generates “ke”, and it became a sort of mocking laugh, often directed toward western players.

When you realise “lol” translates into “kek” and you’re aware of the above, particularly the language divide but the well known expression of laughter, coupled with the knowledge that Blizzard pay very close attention to their communites/online and their games are full of these kind of references, it seems an unlikely coincidence.

That said I’m unaware of any statement from Blizzard on the matter.

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I think it’s just to keep the grown-ups confused. lel.

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I couldn’t be bothered to learn my own generation’s slang. So I tend to wonder what makes people think I’m going to learn this new slang (in other words, I’m not). If I don’t understand wtf they are trying to say, I just ignore them. Until they learn to use proper sentences (to an extent, I can manage some short hand and such). English is a perfectly good language.

And while you’re at it…. pull up your pants!

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Kek, kappa .... What?

Just a flesh wound.3589

The “kekeke” is only really used by S. Koreans in online games, and it started in SC. There’s a key in korean keyboards that generates “ke”, and it became a sort of mocking laugh, often directed toward western players.

When you realise “lol” translates into “kek” and you’re aware of the above, particularly the language divide but the well known expression of laughter, coupled with the knowledge that Blizzard pay very close attention to their communites/online and their games are full of these kind of references, it seems an unlikely coincidence.

Ok. It seems kind of odd they would base their cipher on one South Korean computer slang word, but no doubt odder things have happened. (By base I mean they would have has to design the cipher with that word in mind so that the finished cipher would have it work out properly).

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Ok. It seems kind of odd they would base their cipher on one South Korean computer slang word, but no doubt odder things have happened. (By base I mean they would have has to design the cipher with that word in mind so that the finished cipher would have it work out properly).

Actually, the way the World of Warcraft languages work is that, when seen by a character that doesn’t understand the language (Usually cross-faction), it replaces the actual words with random words from the other language’s very limited dictionary that have the same number of letters. “kek” happens to be a three-letter word in WoW’s orcish language.

It’s deliberately set up so that NO translation is possible between the two – just gibberish.

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: Zodryn.4216

Zodryn.4216

Well for one, SK has always been a dominant force in competitive SC, so things that SK players type would naturally be seen by the community and likely also Blizzard. Also, it is a laughing expression. It is not surprising at all that it would become a thing. ???

Edit: lol it ate my hangul.

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

These two examples, kek and kappa, I can handle, but the one that really drives me up the wall is “bae”.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

These two examples, kek and kappa, I can handle, but the one that really drives me up the wall is “bae”.

Bae, squad goals, on fleek, etc. It’s just all so, so ridiculous.

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

“Bae” used to grate on me, until I learned it was an acronym for “Before Anyone Else.” I find it kind of sweet.

[Obligatory kek]

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

“Bae” used to grate on me, until I learned it was an acronym for “Before Anyone Else.” I find it kind of sweet.

[Obligatory kek]

I thought it was just a shortening of “baby”

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Kek, kappa .... What?

Doggie.3184

[Obligatory kek]

I thought it was just a shortening of “baby”

That’s what I thought. Even consulted the word bible long time ago over it. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bae

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Here i just figured it was one of those “I can’t type” things that “caught on.” People just kept missing that second ‘b’ in “babe.” Kind of like “teh”

So many quotes in that. Ugh.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Kek, kappa .... What?

RoseofGilead.8907

Even “boo” (the title people gave to their significant others before bae became a thing) still annoys me. I’m getting so old.

Kek, kappa .... What?

Just a flesh wound.3589

Even “boo” (the title people gave to their significant others before bae became a thing) still annoys me. I’m getting so old.

I much prefer the older term POOSSLQ myself. Don’t you? Kind of has a catchy ring to it. it even has that lovely poem, “There’s nothing I wouldn’t do, if you would be my POOSSLQ.” ^^

*(Person Of Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters)

ANet may give it to you.

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I much prefer the older term POOSSLQ myself. Don’t you? Kind of has a catchy ring to it. it even has that lovely poem, “There’s nothing I wouldn’t do, if you would be my POOSSLQ.” ^^

This legit made me laugh out loud. You win at least 3 internets.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Kek, kappa .... What?

RoseofGilead.8907

I seriously love you sometimes. This is one of those times.

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think this thread proves decisively, even more so than any of the ‘how old are you?’ threads that the average age of MMO players is going up.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Kek, kappa .... What?

Doggie.3184

I think this thread proves decisively, even more so than any of the ‘how old are you?’ threads that the average age of MMO players is going up.

Yes, and once they get older hopefully they look back and realize how lame these words actually were. I know my parents regret a lot of the awful slang back in their day, lol.

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

Get off my groovy lawn.

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

TANSTAAFL, TANJit! … ok, that’s more old-school SF fandom slang.

Thanks to this thread I now understand Kappa better than the “I’m joking” implication gained from context in Twitch chat. But I still have no idea how people drop all those little images in Twitch chat. I think someone told me once and I made an image, said “huh,” and promptly forgot again.

Speaking of age, when I was growing up there were no such things as emoticons. Just the happy smile face, but it wasn’t used in text chat, once there was text chat (which started my second year of college, in limited LAN form). Couldn’t insert graphics in text back then, y’know.

Kek, kappa .... What?

RoseofGilead.8907

Speaking of age, when I was growing up there were no such things as emoticons. Just the happy smile face, but it wasn’t used in text chat, once there was text chat (which started my second year of college, in limited LAN form). Couldn’t insert graphics in text back then, y’know.

Us cool girls used to dot our "i"s with smiley faces. The original emoticon.

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Sentences ending with, or being stuffed randomly with, kappa are an old anime meme. Kappa are water ogers (roughly translated) in Japanese mythology. Animators wanted kappa-based or kappa-like characters to sound dumb, repetitive, cute in an ugly way, uncultured, rural, and totally obvious to small children that they are stylized water creatures so they made the characters say kappa.

You might just as well toss “ribbit” or “oink” into all your sentences.

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I prefer "POCSAOSLQ’, (Person of Compatible Sex And Orientation Sharing Living Quarters) because it recognizes LGB couples. (And doesn’t sound like “Poo-silk”)

Kek, kappa .... What?

RoseofGilead.8907

I prefer "POCSAOSLQ’, (Person of Compatible Sex And Orientation Sharing Living Quarters) because it recognizes LGB couples. (And doesn’t sound like “Poo-silk”)

And now I’m cracking up at “poo-silk”.

Kek, kappa .... What?

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

Every time I see the word kappa, I think of the movie Sunshine.

Attachments: