Key Farming

Key Farming

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: timartinho.8043

timartinho.8043

Hello guys,

I’ve read a lot of guides about it, and I started doing it.

“Key farming is the process of completing the level 10 personal story in order to obtain the final reward, a Black Lion Chest Key. These keys open Black Lion Chests, which in turn drop rewards such as Black Lion Claim Tickets.”

But I’ve done the personal story on 3 of my characters today, and just one rewarded me a BLK at the end of story.

Isn’t it supposed to drop always?

Stylus Targaryen - 80 Asura Guardian[main]
Stylus Sunstrider - 80 Charr Warrior[alt]
Bombista - 80 Human Engineer[alt]

(edited by timartinho.8043)

Key Farming

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

It is supposed to, and in my experience does, drop after you complete the lvl 10 story. It only drops after completing the 10th level story arc.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

(edited by Invictus.1503)

Key Farming

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

hmmm another stealth nerf?

Key Farming

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Are you doing the whole arc? The part one arc is like 5(?) instances, check the wiki for specifics. But yes, the last instance for the arc rewards the key.

hmmm another stealth nerf?

This wouldn’t be all that hard to test. I’m at work at the moment, but I suppose I can finish the first arc on my baby Asura this evening. I just finished “Readings on the Rise” with her, so I just have 2 more story steps before arc 1 is done.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Key Farming

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

It drops at only at the end of the level 10, 40 and 60 chapters, I believe.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Key Farming

Posted by: ekkue.3754

ekkue.3754

Are you doing the human commoner method? You should get it right after you finish ‘The commander’. I did it the other day a couple of times and got the key each time, this was deleting and recreating the character each time.

Key Farming

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

It drops at only at the end of the level 10, 40 and 60 chapters, I believe.

Yep.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Black_Lion_Chest_Key

“Story rewards[edit]

Personal story rewards
Completion of the level 10 racial story.
Setting the Stage (level 40)
The Battle of Claw Island (level 60)"

Key Farming

timartinho.8043

You’re not understanding, I’ve leveled 3 characters to level 10, done the full story until the end, and it don’t dropped. Just in the first character. The second haven’t dropped, just the bags, same for the 3rd.
One was asura (and gave me), other 2 was sylvarys I got (with that level 20 boost) and choosen the Theraene to go, done that Fire Guy thing, and nothing

Now they show the level 20 story progress, and 0 keys.

(edited by timartinho.8043)

Key Farming

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Possible bug? File a support ticket.

If key farming had been silently nixed, we’d have a lot more rage on here I do believe.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Key Farming

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

You’re not understanding, I’ve leveled 3 characters to level 10, done the full story until the end, and it don’t dropped. Just in the first character. The second haven’t dropped, just the bags, same for the 3rd.

I don’t understand why it wouldn’t.

Right now, I would assume that fellow posters (like me) are more willing to accept a mistake/miscalculation on your end than a bug. I did a quick check on the bugs forum and can’t see anybody else suffering from the same issue, and knowing how valuable BL keys are to people (and how many people farm them), I’m sure that there would be posts on the matter if there was a common bug.

If you do it again, make sure to take a screenshot of the rewards dialogue and box.

Key Farming

timartinho.8043

I’ve simple done the story as normal… And nothing.
The first time I did the same, with an Asura and it awarded.
Probably it can be a Sylvary specific bug.

Key Farming

Posted by: Kecal.3964

Kecal.3964

I did the farm 4 times (human commoner) and got key as I should every time.

Key Farming

Posted by: BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

I had no problems either – completed the human commoner story five times or so (no, I don’t usually do stuff like that) and got five keys (let’s better not talk about the content of the chests though)
Might be a bug with the Sylvari story…

So much left that I wanted to see…

Key Farming

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Were there 4 award icon/boxes? The end of the L10 PS arc should award 4 different items in varying amounts? Were there only 3, or 2, or 1?

Did you happen to take screenshots?

I just finished 2 key runs yesterday, and was awarded keys from each. I don’t honestly remember if either were Sylvari, as I do so many.

If you continue to have difficulties, you can contact the CS Team for assistance using the ‘Support’ link above/below.

Good luck.

Key Farming

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

For science!

I’ve had done personal story after reading this thread, chose the Shield of the Moon background and got the key as normally should at the end of arc The Heart of Nightmare at level 10.

If you are really sure didn’t got any key upon completing it, get in contact with CS team, as mentioned before. I can be wrong but if you have the approximate date and hour, should make things easier to track down.

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

Key Farming

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It doesn’t “drop” — it’s a reward for completing the story.

OP: if you do it again, please take a screenshot before you accept the reward. I’d be very surprised if you didn’t see the BL key among the icons displayed.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Key Farming

Posted by: shaezhao.7263

shaezhao.7263

BTW. May I suggest you stop key farming anyway…. probably the quickest way to make you start hating the game and quit playing altogether. Reminds me of grinding chests for the ever elusive max lucky/unlucky title in gw1.

Key Farming

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

BTW. May I suggest you stop key farming anyway…. probably the quickest way to make you start hating the game and quit playing altogether. Reminds me of grinding chests for the ever elusive max lucky/unlucky title in gw1.

And some people enjoy it. Just because you don’t like it, doesn’t mean that others won’t like it either.

Key Farming

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I enjoy key-farming. Maybe the OP does, as well.

I don’t, however, remember grinding many chests for Lucky/Unlucky titles. I just left my character (afk) on the Nine-Rings. Lol.

Key Farming

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

That’s a matter of opinion. I have over 6k hours and have done numerous key farms. It’s a mindless, relaxing way to spend a few minutes and get something interesting as well as potentially useful or profitable at the end.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Key Farming

Posted by: Shukriyya.7629

Shukriyya.7629

Maybe they changed the personal story rewards? I just finished The Battle of Claw Island (level 60) on my charr ranger and I received 1 Small Bag of Spirit Shards, 5 Bags of Loot, 1 Trackless Boots, 1 Claw Island Keepsake and 1 Letter of Commendation. :/

ETA: Nevermind, I just realised that the part of the chapter that I played was never supposed to drop a key. Oops!

RoF

(edited by Shukriyya.7629)

Key Farming

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I just did it today and I got a key, same as always. Not sure what happened to the OP, but there was no nerf.

Key Farming

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I use it to use up my Tomes and Writs. Can’t think of any other use for these besides destroying them.

Key Farming

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Maybe they changed the personal story rewards? I just finished The Battle of Claw Island (level 60) on my charr ranger and I received 1 Small Bag of Spirit Shards, 5 Bags of Loot, 1 Trackless Boots, 1 Claw Island Keepsake and 1 Letter of Commendation. :/

They have changed when you get some items I know. For example, the choice of 3 dyes you could get at low level has been moved higher than level 10.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.