Kicking should stay anonymous

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pluto.8015

Pluto.8015

With the update, kicking has been applied to the chat log-for everyone.
Recently I was running AC P2 and someone in our pug group didn’t pull the boss right. Another person viciously attacked them, basically bullying them and then some. The bully then focused on the rest of us unleashing other verbal abuses.
I figured the fastest thing to do is kick the bully. And surprise it comes up that I decided to kick them. The bully then turned their attention all on me and made it unbearable to stay. I left. Later I was messaged that another person from the group wanted to help, but didn’t want what happened to me to happen to them.
I think the kicking should be kept anonymous to the person being kicked for this reason. It’s crippling the more timid individuals and giving the jerks an advantage.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I think it is a good thing that you see who kicks who.

Now I didn’t understand how this bully was able to annoy you? I mean you blocked him right? That’s what you do to people who annoys you and also if they harras you in anyway you also sent a report on this guy/girl.

So I am sorry I do not get your situation… I would rather be able to report someone who abuses the kick mechanic.

Atleast my opinion.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

You have to be responsible for the actions you do/propose. If you think someone should be kicked, do it but be responsible for it and defend it if needed, or be kicked for it, if the others disagree. Anonymous kicking is to abusive as it harms others without own risk.
Its therefore a good change to lift the anonymity and it may lead to overthink if it is really the correct response to a mistake.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

Posted by: Many.8419

Many.8419

There should be a party leader system with party moderation privilages for the leader.

kkthxbye

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Recently I was running AC P2 and someone in our pug group didn’t pull the boss right. Another person viciously attacked them, basically bullying them and then some. The bully then focused on the rest of us unleashing other verbal abuses.
I figured the fastest thing to do is kick the bully. And surprise it comes up that I decided to kick them. The bully then turned their attention all on me and made it unbearable to stay. I left. Later I was messaged that another person from the group wanted to help, but didn’t want what happened to me to happen to them.
I think the kicking should be kept anonymous to the person being kicked for this reason. It’s crippling the more timid individuals and giving the jerks an advantage.

I’m confused. You tried to kick a kittenhat. Good. Stand by your convictions.

It’s a good thing that the bum knows exactly which one had the cajones to give them the boot to the rear they deserved.

And shame on the cowards who didn’t back you up. If they wanted the group to stay together minus the bully, next time they should grow a pair and support that initiative.

I’d be more ticked at the one who messaged me that sentiment than the actual bully. You’re already anonymous as one player in a massive game. You’re the character.

In the grand scheme of things, some pompous fink knowing you had the nerve to call them on their BS really isn’t such a big deal.

EdgarMTanaka.7291

There should be a party leader system with party moderation privilages for the leader.

kkthxbye

What would that change in this situation?

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

No party leader system and good that they finaly put in so you see who kicks who no more safe harassing.

If he was being a bully say so let the kick stay if someone agrees fine if not you will probabely get kicked since the bully got them around his finger.

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

I have to agree with the first two responses. There’s an ignore function. Use it if some idiot is annoying.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

So it gives a notification the moment you make the kick request, rather than once it has gone through? Hmm.

I definitely think that there should be a notification of who is responsible for kicking someone, once that person has actually been kicked. Whether it should come up before then, though… it does seem more likely to cause toxicity if it does. If you want to get rid of an individual from your party, then you probably don’t want to give them a greater opportunity to cause drama. And if the kicking was improper, they still have the information they need to submit a report.

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

I think I agree with the OP. The ethics of the situation aside, I don’t see any good that can come from this. Even in a situation of wrongful kicking, what benefit to the community comes from increasing animosity between players? If the kicking was wrongful, then ANet should be able to look at the logs and make a decision, because they can do something about it. Players can only be hostile or bad mouth the kickers, which even if “justice” isn’t good for the game.

EdgarMTanaka.7291

So it gives a notification the moment you make the kick request, rather than once it has gone through? Hmm.

I definitely think that there should be a notification of who is responsible for kicking someone, once that person has actually been kicked. Whether it should come up before then, though… it does seem more likely to cause toxicity if it does. If you want to get rid of an individual from your party, then you probably don’t want to give them a greater opportunity to cause drama. And if the kicking was improper, they still have the information they need to submit a report.

Yea, this I agree with. Didn’t think about that but it is so true. No notification untill player is kicked is better.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Yea, this I agree with. Didn’t think about that but it is so true. No notification untill player is kicked is better.

Yes, that’s what i think as well. There should definitely be a notification after a kick, but kicking process itself should be hidden, to avoid drama and speed-counterkicking.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: GamerOnline.3650

GamerOnline.3650

It could also be a case of giving the offender enough rope to hang themselves, so to speak.

In other words, give the offending person even more of a chance to show why the kick (and block/report) is justified.

Farm responsibly, for you are not alone. Share the love, not the hate.
Support your local environmentally friendly farmers.
Asuran Mesmer Mind Tricks: “These aren’t the golems you’re looking for.”

Posted by: Fred Fargone.3127

Fred Fargone.3127

Oh, the anonymity of the kick process was lifted?

So, it’s okey to have kick wars now?
As in, you and your buddy try to get rid of a troll in the group, the troll and his buddy try to get rid of you and both are trying to convince/bribe the third person, who just can’t grasp the situation, to back them up?

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible
and finally result to personal insults.

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

i think it was a very needed addition, same as the 2/3 votes to approve.

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

Posted by: Many.8419

Many.8419

It’s funny how the oldest solutions to group content is still the best choice to avoid any kind of conflict and scam.

“Don’t play with pugs” Abraham Lincoln

Posted by: Emiko.3217

Emiko.3217

This is why I ONLY run in dungeons with the guild I’m – people you don’t know will cuss you out and call you all sorts of horrible names if you do one thing wrong.

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

I agree with OP, I don’t understand the need to do this, it just opens it up for people to be bullied.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I agree with the first two replies.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

I like it this way better. If a jerkwad player is going to be verbally abusive, it isn’t going to matter if they know who wants them gone or not.
Like GamerOnline.3650 said above… Let them hang themselves on their own rage-fueled words and just keep reporting them. You’ll get the last laugh when they do it so much they get themselves banned for abusive behavior.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

Kicking should never be anynomous! Be responsible for u’r actions!

But – There should be a choice NOT to kick like it was before. The pending suggestion is cluttering if u dont want it there. Apart from that I really like how the new kicking feature works!

Kima & Co

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Nope. Removing the anonymity is a huge step forward in group content.

If you can’t take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I am sorry that you and the other people in the party had to put up with that kind of thing. However no one should be “afraid” of another person harassing them: report them and then block them. Done. I even report / block if the person is harassing someone else and not me. After reporting/ blocking I would whisper the others in the party stating that I have reported and blocked the offender – they should do the same and we should kick him. Communication with the party would probably have helped.

Unfortunately there are people who abuse the “kick” system which is why I believe it should remain the way it now is.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Djinn.9245

I agree with OP, I don’t understand the need to do this, it just opens it up for people to be bullied.

Report and block. You can’t be bullied if you have blocked the bully.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I honestly don’t understand anything that is being said. I’ve never experienced this. In my experience people like that jump ship the moment things start going wrong. Perhaps I’m just joining less unpleasant pugs because I read the LFG text.

In any case, I support anonymity until the kick is completed. No matter what the conclusion was. If one person tries to kick someone and everyone else denies it, I want to see that. If someone tries to kick and the vote passes I want to see that too.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

we need to know whos kicking so we can know that if he has legit excuse or just being.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

As in, you and your buddy try to get rid of a troll in the group, the troll and his buddy try to get rid of you and both are trying to convince/bribe the third person, who just can’t grasp the situation, to back them up?

Are you guys really running into this situation often???

I’ve rarely needed to kick someone, and it’s generally over communication issues. Someone joins, doesn’t know the path, refuses to communicate or acknowledge what the party is asking for. Bullies I just tell to leave, and they usually will.

I like this change. It protects honest players. If I were at the final boss of a path and got kicked, I would want to be able to report and have the chat logs to back it up. The only people who should be crying over this are those that abuse the kick system. Whether the names are shown during or after the kick makes no difference to me, as long as the banished person gets to see who it was.

(edited by rhapsody.3615)

Djinn.9245

I can’t imagine that this would happen very frequently, but if the majority of the group is going to kick you because you are trying to kick someone who is being nasty then I wouldn’t want to group with them anyway. Report any offenders and block them all and move on.

This is why knowing the kickers is good: you can block them.

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Oh the kickers name will now be revealed? This will seperate the trollkickers from the real kickers with a valid reason to do it.

Be responsible for your deeds.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

I like the change. Now I can put all people on block list who attempt to randomly kick people so I never have to do dungeons with them again.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

I think the whole grouping/kicking system has severe issues, at the very least for open world things. I can understand the idea behind it, but frankly, I prefer a system where the leader is the leader and can kick, and no one else can. Too many people not paying attention to chat, going AFK for loooong periods without telling anyone why and without leaving group, or suddenly running off to do other things in other zones. It’s been hard to kick people BEFORE you needed 3/5, I don’t even want to know what it’s like now.

Posted by: Benson.9063

Benson.9063

I am definitely in favor of the new party changes. Majority is very necessary. I also agree with removing anonymity. i pug 100% of the time and i prefer people put thought into kicking than just doing it frivolously, which is usually the case.

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

I like the change. Now I can put all people on block list who attempt to randomly kick people so I never have to do dungeons with them again.

Yup nice way to filter those trolls. Soon they may get a bad reputation by doing that and no one wants to take em aboard anymore due to their own stupidity.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: Xandror.2356

Xandror.2356

I love the new kick system. Yes, you should know who votes for you, not just get a load screen out of nowhere. Today in Arah, two people voted to kick me because I gave the guardian a hard time for refusing to use wall of reflection on lupi (at all, not to cheese). We discussed it like human beings and finished the run no problem. Kudos.

Posted by: cthaeh.2168

cthaeh.2168

kkthxbye

This makes no sense. And what if the troll in the party was the leader? This solves nothing and even makes the “problem” worse.

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

On noes there is a bit of accountability on the internet whatever shall we do?

But seriously if you feel the need to kick people, then be prepared to deal with the possible consequences. Anonymity would only make it easier for the system to be abused.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

Posted by: Deaths Sensei.5317

Deaths Sensei.5317

squad leaders can be bad, kicking people @ end of instances before people can get reward chests & stuff just to be an idiot. keep it as it is now.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

squad leaders can be bad, kicking people @ end of instances before people can get reward chests & stuff just to be an idiot. keep it as it is now.

A similar thing happened to me several times when I first started doing dungeons. The leader would loot the chest and then leave before anyone else could get to it following the fight. We’d be helping someone out of the downed state or simply running up to the chest from our ranged position during the fight and suddenly be thrown out of the instance before getting any rewards.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

This is a good change imo.

The major reasons for bad behavior on the internet is anonymity and lack of consequences. Most of the people acting up in the internet wouldn’t dream of acting like that in rl where people know them or there are immediate consequences. If the anonymity is stripped away from kicking for bad reasons, the person kicked can now report if it was against TOS or speak to the party before the kick finishes. People who might second a kick for no reason will now hesitate to do so.

It gives social reasons to behave well, which is how people have handled society offenders through time immemorial.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Kedarrian.2905

Kedarrian.2905

I like this change and echo what people are saying. Anyone electing to kick someone has to be prepared to account for that proposal.

If it’s because someone is acting a total kitten, others will likely agree with you. If they don’t, then get out of that party asap.

Posted by: Kedarrian.2905

Kedarrian.2905

The LFG tool will still group you with people on your block list.

Djinn.9245

This is a good change imo.

The major reasons for bad behavior on the internet is anonymity and lack of consequences. Most of the people acting up in the internet wouldn’t dream of acting like that in rl where people know them or there are immediate consequences. If the anonymity is stripped away from kicking for bad reasons, the person kicked can now report if it was against TOS or speak to the party before the kick finishes. People who might second a kick for no reason will now hesitate to do so.

It gives social reasons to behave well, which is how people have handled society offenders through time immemorial.

I completely agree – good change.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Own your actions. It’s as simple as that.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

i dont think you should have the option to hide behind anonymity if you decide you dont like someone and want to do something about it.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Chrono.6928

Chrono.6928

everyone is so “non-confrontation” these days. People are to afraid that they might hurt someone’s feelings. There’s nothing wrong with a little backbone. If the “bully” was really that bad the others would have kicked him when prompted. That being said it sounds like you did the right thing leaving. Who wants to play with someone like that anyways. Oh and its just ac its not like it was the final fractal boss or anything. Report block move on.

Personally if I get kicked I want to know who did it and why. If it was a bunch of guildies just making room for a guildie I would be upset but I can block and not play with them again, problem solved.

If I sound tough, good. But again I want to congratulate you on standing up to a bully. Definitely stuck to your values and I respect that.

Posted by: Grand.4625

Grand.4625

Don’t take this the wrong way, but grow some skin man. You CAN mute the guy. And you SHOULD have muted the guy. If he started making bad pulls to continue screwing with you after you muted him, or anything of the like, then I doubt anyone would object to kicking him. Soooo…. yeah. Grow up is the best I can tell you.

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

Don’t take this the wrong way, but grow some skin man. You CAN mute the guy. And you SHOULD have muted the guy. If he started making bad pulls to continue screwing with you after you muted him, or anything of the like, then I doubt anyone would object to kicking him. Soooo…. yeah. Grow up is the best I can tell you.

That’s not the point, he just wants to play the game, not have to worry about being harassed. Anet, screwed up and they have open the door to bullying. It’s like Anet is endorsing the bullying. This was unnecessary, nobody asked for this.

Posted by: vpchelko.4261

vpchelko.4261

Kick system should be public.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I’m pretty sure ArenaNet is 1,000 times more concerned by the abuses of all kinds of jerks kicking people who previously had no way to report who did it to Support than they are about bullies being kicked and being able to see you pitched their butts out the door.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Djinn.9245

I’m not sure what “grow up” has to do with anything. Pointless insult.