I personally feel that there is a lack of competition

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eviscera.9703

Eviscera.9703

This is my personal opinion, don’t bash on me. If anyone disagrees with me, atleast be civil. This game has ZERO competition for hardcore gamers. There is no real ’’goal’’ to acomplish, It’s like Anet said ‘’ Here are kittenloads of stuff to do, now do whatever you want’’ But it doesn’t work like that. People want a purpose to play and a goal to aim for, to obtain the things that makes them stand out. Even if it’s only cosmetic.

1. Let’s start with the PvE: Dungeons doesn’t even have the rewards that everyone wants. I’m not talking about items. I’m talking about achievements. Like the ‘’Worlds first 80’’ or ‘’Servers first whatever’’ Those are the things people want.
Let’s take sports as an example. We’re in the Beijing olympics, Mens 100m Finals. Every sprinter has been training day in and day out since they were 10 years old. They gave up all the fun in life just to accomplish this world record. And then suddenly someone breaks the world record and the whole crowd goes crazy, his name is printed in every newspaper and gets famous all around the world.
Now let’s go back to Guild Wars 2. The hardcore players that break records, the famous gamers that puts in heart & dedication into the games they play. 30 hours of straight grinding just to accomplish something spectacular. And what do they get in return? Absolutely NOTHING. This is why all the famous players quit. The famous gamers that stream and advertise your game gets nothing in return. This is why Guild wars 2 is dead on twitch… No competition at all.

2. The PvP: Like come on…. It’s like you Anet released a game that wasn’t even finished. There is absolutely no competition in the PvP. No ladders, No achievments. No one knows whos the best PvPers, because there is no system that tells you that. The PvP lacks variety. No Arenas, No deathmatches… What the hell?! The game needs INGAME ladders… Not the useless ones posted on forums. The people that actually play your game to the max and stream everyday to give to the community gets nothing in return. Why Anet? Just why?

Instead of fixing these issues, Anet implents useless new items that no one wants. Useless stuff in the gem store. Rushes into fixing stuff problems, that end up getting even more kittened up. If Arena net really wants to make this game an E-sport you guys have to top it up a notch. Because this game lacks basic features.

Anyway, Don’t get me wrong. I love this game and i think it’s the best MMORPG on the market. But it still lacks basic features that makes the game interesting to play. This is just constructive criticism.

Posted by: tic.7425

tic.7425

This isn’t the “hardcore” game you were looking for. A bit of research before purchase would have revealed that, imo.

The game is still fairly new, new things, updates, etc, will be coming, and you can always check back later with no need for any more committment on your part than you have already given. That is if it bothers you that much.

I tend to look past some negative things in games, if theres enough positives, which is where i fall here. Give it some time.

(edited by tic.7425)

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

I’ve been seeing this a lot recently and quite frankly I find it ridiculous.

You’re asking for a game that gives you the illusion of “difficult” content, which in return will force you to grind for hours in a day just to participate in the content. Fair enough, but what happens when you finish all of that grinding and “complete” the endgame?

You are in the exact same spot. When you finish all of that content and have nothing else to grind on, you want more. It’s an endless cycle that can never be satisfied. You are playing a game.

Don’t believe me? See what happened in World of Warcraft, they implemented the dungeon finder. It was too hard and they balanced it so more could complete it. The general public was finishing all of the dungeons and now they wanted to pug raids.

Now they finished LFR and they want more, it’s an endless cycle.

I am sorry to tell you, that this is a game built for casuals in mind. The only reason I play this game is because of the fact that I feel like I’m not trapped, I can work on my alts and play with my friends and honestly feel like I’m not wasting my time.

The fact the matter is, everything you do in this game is a waste of time. Even in the other games, all it takes is one content update and your entire progress is destroyed and the grind restarts. When you quit the game, all you have done was for nothing.

So why waste your life grinding on a game no one really cares about? If you want to make a difference, you’re not going to do it in a game.

Eviscera.9703

The thing you don’t understand is… Why wouldn’t both be possible? The game provides good gameplay for less competetive players, but nothing for competetive players? You naysayers are looking at it in a wrong perspective. If you want to play for fun, then fine you do that. But don’t stop other players from having their own way of fun.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

The thing you don’t understand is… Why wouldn’t both be possible? The game provides good gameplay for less competetive players, but nothing for competetive players? You naysayers are looking at it in a wrong perspective. If you want to play for fun, then fine you do that. But don’t stop other players from having their own way of fun.

They cannot both be possible.

A hardcore player in this game is equivalent to someone having a legendary. It is entirely cosmetic, yet we all know exactly what they did to get it. But its not enough is it? You want an advantage… you want to stand out even more!

You’re asking for something for hardcore players that makes them stand out from the rest, the only way you could do that is with gear upgrades. I would lose my fun the moment I log on to the game and realize I can’t do anything without dedicating more than 15 hours a week.

My time for “hardcore” gaming is now over, I am now 19 years old and I simply cannot afford to dedicate my time to a video game. As I said before, the only reason I play Guild Wars 2 is because I can log on and play on my alts and friends and feel like I’m not wasting my time.

This is the very reason I have spent over $500 in this game, from gifts to friends to gems. This is the most expensive game I have ever bought in arbitrary value, and it is worth every single penny. I did not gain any advantage, but the experiences I have ventured in Tyria is what made it worth it.

Fact the matter is, us “casuals” could care less about your conquest to get the best gear. So why should we be punished for hardcore players, in an arguably casual game.

Changing the manifesto of Guild Wars 2 would break the game for me and many others.

(edited by Chase.8415)

Posted by: Nevermore.5487

Nevermore.5487

I completely agree. They said they will make this an e-sport but since release, pvp made barely any progress. Still no ranking, leagues, streamed tournaments, more modes, 1v1 profession tournaments, nothing :/ I mean, the game is very good but come on, the pvp needs faster development, it’s way behind e-sports like dota. This game really needs more competition, because today, competition is the only thing that keeps online games alive. I’m on a 2 month hiatus from the game, lurking the forums every now and then and hoping for some competitive updates :S

tic.7425

Naysayers?

Honestly?

I’d call myself more a realist. This isn’t the hardcore game you’re looking for, and it was billed as such from the beggining.

Eviscera.9703

A hardcore player in this game is equivalent to someone having a legendary. It is entirely cosmetic, yet we all know exactly what they did to get it. But its not enough is it? You want an advantage… you want to stand out even more!

You’re asking for something for hardcore players that makes them stand out from the rest, the only way you could do that is with gear upgrades. I would lose my fun the moment I log on to the game and realize I can’t do anything without dedicating more than 15 hours a week.

My time for “hardcore” gaming is now over, I am now 19 years old and I simply cannot afford to dedicate my time to a video game. As I said before, the only reason I play Guild Wars 2 is because I can log on and play on my alts and friends and feel like I’m not wasting my time.

This is the very reason I have spent over $500 in this game, from gifts to friends to gems. This is the most expensive game I have ever bought in arbitrary value, and it is worth every single penny. I did not gain any advantage, but the experiences I have ventured in Tyria is what made it worth it.

Fact the matter is, us “casuals” could care less about your conquest to get the best gear. So why should we be punished for hardcore players, in an arguably casual game.

Changing the manifesto of Guild Wars 2 would break the game for me and many others.

Why wouldn’t they both be possible? If you read my post i said ‘’only cosmetic’’ And even that lacks in this game. The legendary weapons lack in the story part, and doesn’t feel ’’legendary’’ at all. This game should be for everyone from casual to competetive. And i think you misssunderstood me. I don’t want to be superior to others and have better gear then other people. I simply want a better reward system. Everything from good looking cosmetic gear to ladders to achievments that tells people who are the best PvPers or PvE:ers.

(edited by Eviscera.9703)

Posted by: Scootabuser.4915

Scootabuser.4915

This is a nice friendly game where in everyone wins and no one cries

Insert Personal Achievements and/or Youtube Channel Here

Eviscera.9703

@Scootabuser LOL sometimes i think about that to. Everyone is living in a friendly fairytale world where everyone is equal and plays for fun and rides pink unicorns.

tic.7425

Really?

because my server is getting beat down in WvW and it doesnt really feel like winning, at all :p

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Agreed with TC and to those saying its impossible to appeal hardcore/casual gamers just look at gw1 brah. It had tones of skills for hardcore to play with, solid pve dungeons, hard mode and,,,,,,, whatever casuals do, i dunno.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: TWMagimay.9057

TWMagimay.9057

Why wouldn’t they both be possible? If you read my post i said ‘’only cosmetic’’ And even that lacks in this game. The legendary weapons lack in the story part, and doesn’t feel ’’legendary’’ at all. This game should be for everyone from casual to competetive. And i think you misssunderstood me. I don’t want to be superior to others and have better gear then other people. I simply want a better reward system. Everything from good looking cosmetic gear to ladders to achievments that tells people who are the best PvPers or PvE:ers.

It’s simple, really. Casual players feel left out when placed in competitive environment. And since games are all about satisfying players, they tend to choose their direction. GW2 devs opted for casual-friendly possibly because casual players tend to be the people more likely to spend money on the game after the initial purchase(obvious reasons). It’s a very smart choice xD

Posted by: ConterK.3972

ConterK.3972

Lol anet stated many times that this was going to be a pretty casual game
and IF u were aiming for hardcore stuff, there was legendaries

this game is different from any other game, this game is aimed more towards social participation and friendshipness, removing any sign of direct competition, ie: rankings, that creates tension between players!

this is more like a game to relax and do whatever, whenever!!

Eviscera.9703

It’s simple, really. Casual players feel left out when placed in competitive environment. And since games are all about satisfying players, they tend to choose their direction. GW2 devs opted for casual-friendly possibly because casual players tend to be the people more likely to spend money on the game after the initial purchase(obvious reasons). It’s a very smart choice xD

It’s a very smart choice -.-? That’s why Guild Wars 2 is so succesful right? I’m not saying it failed, but it could have went alot better if they actually cared about the competetive players. Also what do you mean with ‘’the casual players would feel left out’‘? What the kitten is this? Hello Kitty online? Aslong as it doesn’t give them stat benefits it’s alright.

Posted by: Nevermore.5487

Nevermore.5487

this game is different from any other game, this game is aimed more towards social participation and friendshipness, removing any sign of direct competition, ie: rankings, that creates tension between players!

No they didn’t. Before it got released they advertized it as an e-sport of future and how it’s the 1st mmorpg that will take skill to pvp. I wouldn’t buy it otherwise. In the end, just another game whose developers gave in under the pressure of casuals

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

I think the game has a strong basis and should be fine over time.

The things people want, better designed pvp, more engaging pve content, ways to measure up against others, more variety in gameplay, those are all things that will appear over time.

Fortunately, no sub. There’s really nothing wrong with just shelving the game for a while. It should be easy to pick back up whenever you want.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

I think you misunderstand what the OP is saying.

PvP does not have to be about grinding out the the bestest gear for stats etc… its about matching up against others and competing to be the best and with balanced gearing/stats this promotes player skill not who wants to grind the ubersaucei tems the quickest.. any decent MMO that promotes its PvP inveriably wants player skill to be the key factor, sadly many MMO’s do not do it well enough and fall back onto the treadmill philosophy to keep players logging back in regularly / re-subbing.
Im not really a PvP’er but i can see that GW2’s ideas around grind do not and should not create barriers for any player, casual or hardcore and it does’nt not stop ANET from creating competitive rankings, in fact if its current leaderboards (as highlighted by another poster here already) were promoted more I am sure many others could be enticed into PvP, hardcore or not.
But the game is only 5 months old and those existing leaderboards and the current PvP, WvW around them could and probably will be expanded and more things added as the game matures.

However what you go onto say regarding outlay and fun etc I totally buy into as well, I just thnk you misread into what the OP was saying. the great thing about this kind of business model, is simply you contro, what you spend and whether you feel spending the coins is getting you value for money.. if you wanna go hardcore then that’s great but no one is forced into it and as you say you can put as much time in as you want or are able to without being disadvantaged

(edited by Bloodstealer.5978)

Posted by: Blinka.9078

Blinka.9078

I agree with you, GW2 needs more achievments to aim for and without any doubt PVP MAPS/MODES. More DE would be great as well.

But chill, this is a new game, wait for it. GW2 has a lot of potencial. And this one-time events with mega patches show us that this baby is going to grow a lot more.

GW2 is not a game, its a world, give time for improvements.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I agree with you. This game seems like it would be very unsatisfying to the typical hardcore gamer that is used to raiding, for example. But then, this game has never been billed as a hardcore-enticing raiding game. I don’t know if they’ll ever add raids, but even if they do it’s likely not to look like most raiding MMOs that people are familiar with.

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

Smart? The game is losing players drastically and it barely came out. While competitive games like dota 2 who are still in frigging beta make so much money that they can host 1, 5 million dollar tournaments every year. You just can’t make the game successful by pleasing casuals because they are like women, you give them everything they want, they get bored and leave for the next big thing. What keeps the game alive is hard work and dedication which comes from “hardcore”, or competitive players that constantly have something to challenge them. My friends have all already left because of lack of pvp while I’m on hiatus myself still believing that naive chant “Anet will keep their words, this will be an e-sport someday”

You can’t loose players with no subs. Players who bought and “quit” can come back anytime they wish and it won’t cost them a cent.

How big is the niche “hardcore” group anyways? 50k? 100k players? 200k?

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

You just can’t make the game successful by pleasing casuals because they are like women, you give them everything they want, they get bored and leave for the next big thing.

Wow, as a woman, I personally find this comment right here extremely offensive. If we’re not allowed to make racial slurs on this forum, why are we allowed to make insulting gender ones?

Posted by: Neverathome.8349

Neverathome.8349

I agree with the op.:) People this is an MMO they should serve both casual and hardcore. Here something i posted a while ago.

End game,well….before i started playing mmo’s i was playing rpg’s, my most favorite game back then was squaresoft’s ff10 before square enix started to kitten up the others that followed.For casuals there was the storyline and some minigames to do ingame and that was it,for the hardcore gamers there was much more, as it almost was disigned only for them.:)There endgame began at getting the calestical weapen’s(that was imo easy)But then it all just begon for me"the endgame"Farming dark matters,Getting break hp limit,Getting break damage limit,Fighting the dark aeons,Finding hidden bosses completing the monsterarena and so on…For all this ya needed a kittenload of time,some effort to read things,to use your brains.
In Gw2 i treuly hope i will experience the same like i did in the game that i talked about.But at the end its all what you make of it,If you like it stay, if ya don’t like it move on.

Anothers players reply on this one.
+1
Somewhere along the development of GW2, “no gear treadmill” turned into “no player left behind”. Lets give everyone the same gear! Let’s design the game so every player, good or bad, can complete all content in PvE! Let’s give everyone a choice of 3 cookie-cutter builds for their class, so that casual players don’t feel left behind! Let’s make legendaries easy, but big time sinks so that anyone could get them! As a result, the skill ceiling in PvE was made very low. There are no megabosses, there are no challenges that actually require SKILL to beat. There is nothing that only the best of the best can achieve. “Rewarding skilled players for being good” became “Rewarding all players just for showing up”, and the only measure of a player seems to be “Well did you get 100% world completion?” and “Did you get all the armor skins?”

tic.7425

Smart? The game is losing players drastically and it barely came out. While competitive games like dota 2 who are still in frigging beta make so much money that they can host 1, 5 million dollar tournaments every year. You just can’t make the game successful by pleasing casuals because they are like women, you give them everything they want, they get bored and leave for the next big thing. What keeps the game alive is hard work and dedication which comes from “hardcore”, or competitive players that constantly have something to challenge them. My friends have all already left because of lack of pvp while I’m on hiatus myself still believing that naive chant “Anet will keep their words, this will be an e-sport someday”

You can’t loose players with no subs. Players who bought and “quit” can come back anytime they wish and it won’t cost them a cent.

How big is the niche “hardcore” group anyways? 50k? 100k players? 200k?

Define hardcore would be the better question… :p

well, other than if you play less than me you’re casual…. and if you play more, you have no life and are “hardcore”.

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

That is why my original Guild quit awhile ago. They were all marvelous players that dedicated a lot of their time to gaming (30+ hours a week) and aimed to accomplish things “average” players could not. However, it began to dawn on them that this game was meant for Casuals that play for maybe 10 hours a week. It had nothing to do with gear, all my guild wanted was a challenge. Guild Wars 2 doesn’t have any difficult content, everything can be completed by everyone. No one is special, everyone is equal. It does come down to a grind, which to me has nothing to do with skill.

Equal in power / stats is fine, in my opinion. That’s great in terms of gear and I applaud it (I actually dislike Ascended, they took a wrong turn with that). However it’s not great in terms of content. The fact is, none of this is challenging and everyone can do everything with minimal effort (Dungeons/Fractals/PVE/World Bosses/World Events). There’s no special difference between a “Hardcore” player and a “Casual” one (and no the difference does NOT have to do anything with gear stats).

To me, I don’t think any of these “Hardcore” types of player’s will be signing back on ever again (atleast the one’s that have given up so far). Assuming Anet does nothing to accommodate that type of player. Why? Because there’s nothing for them here. Fun game? Sure. But from my experience (and this goes for me too), when “hardcore” players play an MMO, they dedicate themselves to that MMO. I rarely casually jump between MMO’s, it just feels weird and I’d prefer to dedicate and focus myself onto one MMORPG in particular. Doesn’t mean I don’t play other video games, but there’s always that one special MMO you play. Anyways, that’s just my opinion.

PS: I don’t think Anet knows how to make difficult content, for some reason, I’ve gotten the impression that they think difficult equals more trash mobs, higher health pools and higher grinds. Which ever guy designed Gingaticus Lupicus, the only interesting and fun boss in this game, should have designed all of the other bosses as well. He actually has phases and keeps you on your toes.

(edited by Nurse.1085)

TWMagimay.9057

It’s a very smart choice -.-? That’s why Guild Wars 2 is so succesful right? I’m not saying it failed, but it could have went alot better if they actually cared about the competetive players. Also what do you mean with ‘’the casual players would feel left out’‘? What the kitten is this? Hello Kitty online? Aslong as it doesn’t give them stat benefits it’s alright.

Afaik, GW2 sold millions of copies. That’d be the definition of “very successful” when it comes to a b2p game. They don’t need to keep the 50 ppl who play 10h/day, they actually need to keep the thousands of players who log once a week. A casual player will hang around the game over a longer period of time thus would be more likely to be around when an expansion comes and for events(which come with cash shop items). A hardcore player will burn through content in a matter of weeks(hey, first lvl 80 would force your competitive players to literally burn through the game in a matter of days) and move on to a next game where s/he can compete again resulting in that player not being around for the next cash-in patch. Furthermore, people who can put in the hours to be “competitive” in a game rarely spend money on the cash shop. For one, spending so much time online allows them to generate enough gold to not need real money to support their gaming. Second…if smb plays 10h/day, they aren’t likely to also have a job thus no money to spend on the game. I’m fairly certain the game is not run by uneducated idiots at least when it comes to the money department and they do know how to squeeze the most out of a game.

No, it’s not Hello Kitty. It’s called “customer service”. People feel left out → people feel unwanted → people leave. And since the people in question are their most likely source of money, they don’t want to lose them. Whether you and the other 50 hardcore players leave or not is far less important than the thousands of working adults who spent money on the game.

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

I agree with the op.:) People this is an MMO they should serve both casual and hardcore. Here something i posted a while ago.

End game,well….before i started playing mmo’s i was playing rpg’s, my most favorite game back then was squaresoft’s ff10 before square enix started to kitten up the others that followed.For casuals there was the storyline and some minigames to do ingame and that was it,for the hardcore gamers there was much more, as it almost was disigned only for them.:)There endgame began at getting the calestical weapen’s(that was imo easy)But then it all just begon for me"the endgame"Farming dark matters,Getting break hp limit,Getting break damage limit,Fighting the dark aeons,Finding hidden bosses completing the monsterarena and so on…For all this ya needed a kittenload of time,some effort to read things,to use your brains.
In Gw2 i treuly hope i will experience the same like i did in the game that i talked about.But at the end its all what you make of it,If you like it stay, if ya don’t like it move on.

+1
Somewhere along the development of GW2, “no gear treadmill” turned into “no player left behind”. Lets give everyone the same gear! Let’s design the game so every player, good or bad, can complete all content in PvE! Let’s give everyone a choice of 3 cookie-cutter builds for their class, so that casual players don’t feel left behind! Let’s make legendaries easy, but big time sinks so that anyone could get them! As a result, the skill ceiling in PvE was made very low. There are no megabosses, there are no challenges that actually require SKILL to beat. There is nothing that only the best of the best can achieve. “Rewarding skilled players for being good” became “Rewarding all players just for showing up”, and the only measure of a player seems to be “Well did you get 100% world completion?” and “Did you get all the armor skins?”

This is what GW2 is if you don’t like it there are many other games out there that will give you worthless rewards for doing something in a game. I personally feel sorry for people that need all the worthless achievements and think that they actually mean anything.

Posted by: Qid.1937

Qid.1937

@op i’m inclined to agree to some extent. I’ve always been a casual player of any game.. Hardcore =/= time spent, though.

ATM The biggest challenge in this game is COF3, which is incredibly kittening easy for a group that has a mere average IQ. Hell not even that. A kittentard can do that place if they can listen to basic instruction. Can you read? check>win. Which is kittening stupid. Bring back gw1 hardmode, ANET!

BG Mrplow – Highly rated since 1987.

Posted by: Edenwolf.6328

Edenwolf.6328

Mmos always cater to the casuals and pvers first, and with the most resources now a days. Where is the money in creating content for 1 tenth of the population?

Sad but true.

Alistat the White-Guardian, Edenwolf-Thief, Grimtech Jones-Necro Borlis Pass

(edited by Edenwolf.6328)

Eviscera.9703

I don’t understand why people are so negative on this subject? Ok you’re a casual player thats fine, do whatever you think is fun. But why do you have to bash on other players? Just because they play a game differently … I keep hearing ‘’Go play another game, Gw2 is not for you’’ or ‘’Guild wars 2 is for casuals ONLY’’ Whats your problem? Why can’t this game be suitable for both? Competitive players doesn’t care about stats, they care about the ACHIEVEMENT that they accomplished and the hours spent and finally got rewarded for something.
If you feel sorry for hardcore gamers and think they chase ‘’worthless rewards’‘, i feel sorry for you and your lack of intelligence. Because everyone has different opinions, and you will probably never understand how a competitive player thinks. So don’t bash on other players just because they don’t share the same opinion as you.

Posted by: Power.2957

Power.2957

Get a group together and see if you can get the fastest dungeon completion times. That’s something competitive to strive for!

http://gwscr.com/

“Power is like the illuminati of Guild Wars.” -Loshon

Posted by: Nausicca.6038

Nausicca.6038

IMO, the biggest challenge in this game is winning 1vX in WvW.

It’s a personnal goal for me, I don’t need any kind of ladder or pve content. I just want opponents in an open world area that can fight back. It’s never the same, 9 times out of 10, I’m in desesperated/outmanned situations, but when I survive, I feel quite happy.

GW2 is actualy the perfect game for me. No gear threadmill, insta open world pvp. I wish I could have the shiny weapons by doing wvw only, but I can live without it.

VoxL, NSPPT

Eviscera.9703

Afaik, GW2 sold millions of copies. That’d be the definition of “very successful” when it comes to a b2p game. They don’t need to keep the 50 ppl who play 10h/day, they actually need to keep the thousands of players who log once a week. A casual player will hang around the game over a longer period of time thus would be more likely to be around when an expansion comes and for events(which come with cash shop items). A hardcore player will burn through content in a matter of weeks(hey, first lvl 80 would force your competitive players to literally burn through the game in a matter of days) and move on to a next game where s/he can compete again resulting in that player not being around for the next cash-in patch. Furthermore, people who can put in the hours to be “competitive” in a game rarely spend money on the cash shop. For one, spending so much time online allows them to generate enough gold to not need real money to support their gaming. Second…if smb plays 10h/day, they aren’t likely to also have a job thus no money to spend on the game. I’m fairly certain the game is not run by uneducated idiots at least when it comes to the money department and they do know how to squeeze the most out of a game.

No, it’s not Hello Kitty. It’s called “customer service”. People feel left out -> people feel unwanted -> people leave. And since the people in question are their most likely source of money, they don’t want to lose them. Whether you and the other 50 hardcore players leave or not is far less important than the thousands of working adults who spent money on the game.

The game is losing players drastically and it barely came out. While competitive games like Dota 2 who are still in frigging beta make so much money that they can host 1, 5 million dollar tournaments every year. I don’t think people will be ‘’left out’’ because they will still have the same stats as the more competitive player. People thinks that the casual players make the game, which is not the whole truth. Look at Twitch streamers, is Guild wars 2 successful there? No it’s not. Why? Because the game lacks competition. At the start of the game when famous streamers tried the Guild wars 2, we had over 5k viewers daily, now it’s down to 200.

And to the Moderator that deleted my post, i can smell your bias all over to Sweden. Keep deleting my posts and show everyone your lack of a neutral point of view.

(edited by Eviscera.9703)

Posted by: showatt.9413

showatt.9413

There really isn’t much that needs to be done to make you feel competitive tbh. The game’s competitive enough, but you don’t feel it because you don’t see it.

Add a ingame ladder for server and game-wide showing/ranking things like:

dps done per match by a single player
dps done per match by a player of a specific class
most kill accumulated
highest glory
most damage taken…etc

And then separate these two by tournament slash normal matches and you’d have a bunch of people trying to top each others damage to no end.

hardcore enough for yas? I think so.

TWMagimay.9057

The game is losing players drastically

And you know that because…you are part of their marketing team?

showatt.9413

+1

This is what GW2 is if you don’t like it there are many other games out there that will give you worthless rewards for doing something in a game. I personally feel sorry for people that need all the worthless achievements and think that they actually mean anything.

i feel kinda bad for you.
I mean really what you are doing is restricting the game to a specific type of player when you in fact do not have to.

This game has every potential to be both hardcore and casual at the same time. A proper ingame ladder and some more ‘worthless’ achievement regarding to pvp (maybe wearable pvp skin for bragging right) would’ve solved everything.

It’s almost like you don’t want the game to grow and succeed and instead want this game for casual players only. Please, the " there are many more hardcore pvp mmo out there go play them kthxbye" argument doesn’t help you, nor does it help the game. Lets start coming up with an adequate solutions for both hardcore and casual players so the game can prosper, shall we?

(edited by showatt.9413)

Kromica.2831

I mean really what you are doing is restricting the game to a specific type of player when you in fact do not have to.

This game has every potential to be both hardcore and casual at the same time. A proper ingame ladder and some more ‘worthless’ achievement regarding to pvp (maybe wearable pvp skin for bragging right) would’ve solved everything.

It’s almost like you don’t want the game to grow and succeed and instead want this game for casual players only. Please, the " there are many more hardcore pvp mmo out there go play them kthxbye" argument doesn’t help you, nor does it help the game. Lets start coming up with an adequate solutions for both hardcore and casual players so the game can prosper, shall we?[/quote]

I honestly don’t care about pvp, wvw is nothing but a boring zerg fest and spvp is boring sit on point.

When it comes to pve I wouldn’t care if they offer titles and achievements but the second you and gear even for just looks the people that can’t so it will be in an uproar, just like the people the don’t want to run fractals. You can’t simply take a game designes so everyone can do everything and add things that only a few can do.

(edited by Kromica.2831)

Eviscera.9703

+1

It’s almost like you don’t want the game to grow and succeed and instead want this game for casual players only. Please, the " there are many more hardcore pvp mmo out there go play them kthxbye" argument doesn’t help you, nor does it help the game. Lets start coming up with an adequate solutions for both hardcore and casual players so the game can prosper, shall we?

You literally read my mind. This game has the potential, but it’s like Arena net doesn’t even care anymore. But i still have faith in them, all we have to do is wait and see what the upcoming patches contains.

showatt.9413

I honestly don’t care about pvp, wvw is nothing but a boring zerg fest and spvp is boring sit on point.

When it comes to pve I wouldn’t care if they offer titles and achievements but the second you and gear even for just looks the people that can’t so it will be in an uproar, just like the people the don’t want to run fractals. You can’t simply take a game designes so everyone can do everything and add things that only a few can do.[/quote]

You DO realize pvp gear and achievement already exist in the game and they’re purely cosmetic as well, right? Are we playing the same game here?

So if it already exist in the game, and you hardly noticed it, the only thing that we need for hardcore pvp is an ingame ladder and more pvp set – again purely cosmetic – how does that screw up your game?

Please tell me I really want to know.

Also, just because you think pvp is boring and don’t care for it, that doesn’t mean every other player feel the same way. What’s so bad about catering to more people if it doesn’t alter your gameplay in anyway? What’s the point for a game to introduce pvp anyway if everyone thinks the same way as you do?

(edited by showatt.9413)

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

The game is losing players drastically

And you know that because…you are part of their marketing team?

It’s really easy to tell if you look hard enough.

For one, their sales figures are significantly down, as they recently admitted to hitting the 3 million mark. For the record, they were at 1 million sold before the game was even released, and had passed 2 million a mere two weeks after release.

Furthermore, there are generally less players in many areas and servers. Some have been filtered into LA, but many others have quit entirely, as indicated by the number of players on this forum who no longer play.

And then there’s the dozens of other resources and sites on the internet full of players who have admitted they no longer play for one reason or another. Xfire’s recorded player counts are down significantly as well.

And of course, there’s the sudden 180 shift with regards to releases. The developers were eagerly flooding the game with new content for the first few months. Then in Nov, we see them sending out a formal poll asking players if they enjoyed Lost Shores (due to the massive forum backlash against it). And that led into this Jan/Feb/March patching, in which all of a sudden it’s less about “new new new” and more about “strengthening the core game” and fixing old content all of a sudden (almost like it’s in response to the large number of forum complaints or something).

“But that stuff is all subjective”, I can hear you saying. And I agree, it is. On the other hand, it’s an awful lot of subjective evidence that seems to suggest that the game isn’t going quite as well as ANet intended, and that they’re scrambling to repair the bridges that have been burned.

True, we don’t have numbers, mainly because GW2 doesn’t want us knowing how they’re doing. But it’s not hard to tell, based on what we’ve seen everywhere and the sudden policy shift, that the game isn’t as successful as they’d hoped it would be, and that they’re changing strategies to try and boost player retention.

Good thing too, because now that other rival games are moving to F2P models (TOR and TERA), along with the announcement of upcoming games that may directly rival their own (TESO), they pretty much have to adjust their strategy to stay competitive, or they risk falling even further.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Kromica.2831

When it comes to pve I wouldn’t care if they offer titles and achievements but the second you and gear even for just looks the people that can’t so it will be in an uproar, just like the people the don’t want to run fractals. You can’t simply take a game designes so everyone can do everything and add things that only a few can do.

You DO realize pvp gear and achievement already exist in the game and they’re purely cosmetic as well, right? Are we playing the same game here?

So if it already exist in the game, and you hardly noticed it, the only thing that we need for hardcore pvp is an ingame ladder and more pvp set – again purely cosmetic – how does that screw up your game?

Please tell me I really want to know.

Also, just because you think pvp is boring and don’t care for it, that doesn’t mean every other player feel the same way. What’s so bad about catering to more people if it doesn’t alter your gameplay in anyway? What’s the point for a game to introduce pvp anyway if everyone thinks the same way as you do?
[/quote]

Like I said pvp is boring so I don’t care what they add to it but ove is an entirely different story.

TWMagimay.9057

For one, their sales figures are significantly down, as they recently admitted to hitting the 3 million mark. For the record, they were at 1 million sold before the game was even released, and had passed 2 million a mere two weeks after release.

So…I should keep buying a new copy every month to prove I’m still playing? Your record is perfectly normal and in no way an indication of decrease of the playerbase since a person interested in the game will buy 1 copy on average and buy it sooner rather than later.

Furthermore, there are generally less players in many areas and servers. Some have been filtered into LA, but many others have quit entirely, as indicated by the number of players on this forum who no longer play.

Again, normal. During the first few weeks of a game, players are generally “jammed” in the same regions. Once the majority reaches level cap, the playerbase spreads. In addition to that, there is a good reason why games are normally released during o right before a holiday season. People have more free time then. Seeing less players during school time is not an indicator that the game is failing but merely proof that gamers can have other priorities.
As per your data, over 3 mil people own a copy of GW2. Compared to that, the people on the forum are a drop in the sea. In addition to that, people are very vocal when unhappy thus on the forum while the happy players are in the game. If you have visited enough game forums, you’d also know that a lot of gamers are under the impression that them quitting a game is a big deal and everybody should be made aware of it. Like everything till now, perfectly normal.

And then there’s the dozens of other resources and sites on the internet full of players who have admitted they no longer play for one reason or another. Xfire’s recorded player counts are down significantly as well.

Xfire went out of style 5 years ago. It and any other external sites are not a credible source to determine the population of the game(read above).

And of course, there’s the sudden 180 shift with regards to releases.

They listen to their players and adjust the game to cater to requests. That’s bad…why exactly?

“But that stuff is all subjective”, I can hear you saying. And I agree, it is.

It’s not subjective, it’s simply…speculation. The GW2-is-losing-players-thing has no real evidence to back it up. Just gut feeling and need to complain. The subjective part is that it’s always adjusted to match the personal crusade. Like…“GW2 is losing players, because it’s not competitive enough” or “GW2 is losing layers because it’s too grindy” or “GW2 is losing players because there aren’t any mounts” or “GW2 is losing players because there is no RP server” and so on and so on. But the fact is, there are no actual facts to back up any “drastic decrease in player numbers”. Do people leave? Ofc. Is that perfectly normal? Hell, yes.

True, we don’t have numbers, mainly because GW2 doesn’t want us knowing how they’re doing. But it’s not hard to tell, based on what we’ve seen everywhere and the sudden policy shift, that the game isn’t as successful as they’d hoped it would be, and that they’re changing strategies to try and boost player retention.

And if I made a blog and posted about how awesome GW2 is and then made 1 mil accounts to back myself up…that’d also be a credible source? Because, yes, gamers are known for agreeing with themselves(I have moderated game forums, trust me, any site that doesn’t ask you to pay to be a member…people are bound to be going for me, myself and I to make sure they are winning).
Again, adjusting based on player demands is bad…why exactly?

Good thing too, because now that other rival games are moving to F2P models (TOR and TERA), along with the announcement of upcoming games that may directly rival their own (TESO), they pretty much have to adjust their strategy to stay competitive, or they risk falling even further.

Tera is so absolutely not a rival of GW2…it’s like saying a new pacman would rival GW2. Not saying Tera is a bad game or anything,but it is very very different in almost every aspect(except pvp, both games fail miserably at it). And I’m frankly afraid to see what it’d look like with a f2p model…
They just need to keep players checking the game out every now and then so that when an expansion comes along, they’ll get to sell it to a lot of people. And that will actually be the indicator of how well GW2 is doing: How many people will buy the first expansion. Prior to that point…nobody can really tell.

PS: I know I’m rambling, 5h of learning Dutch…I’m dizzy…

Posted by: scinder.8315

scinder.8315

If you’re looking for e-sports type stuff then they’ve already said its coming..this year. If you expect competitive PVE then as many have said, this isn’t the game for you.

There are no Raids or hardmodes etc.

Accomplishment achievements will be added but adding competitive achievements (outside PvP) would most likely discourage a lot of the current playerbase.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Get a group together and see if you can get the fastest dungeon completion times. That’s something competitive to strive for!

http://gwscr.com/

Thats a joke right?
Impossible to compare times with so many exploits being around.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: oflow.2157

oflow.2157

Ironically, the way the game is designed it requires hardly any social participation at all.

Makes the game not very fun.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

No, it’s not Hello Kitty. It’s called “customer service”. People feel left out -> people feel unwanted -> people leave. And since the people in question are their most likely source of money, they don’t want to lose them. Whether you and the other 50 hardcore players leave or not is far less important than the thousands of working adults who spent money on the game.

The game is losing players drastically and it barely came out. While competitive games like Dota 2 who are still in frigging beta make so much money that they can host 1, 5 million dollar tournaments every year. I don’t think people will be ‘’left out’’ because they will still have the same stats as the more competitive player. People thinks that the casual players make the game, which is not the whole truth. Look at Twitch streamers, is Guild wars 2 successful there? No it’s not. Why? Because the game lacks competition. At the start of the game when famous streamers tried the Guild wars 2, we had over 5k viewers daily, now it’s down to 200.

And to the Moderator that deleted my post, i can smell your bias all over to Sweden. Keep deleting my posts and show everyone your lack of a neutral point of view.

Errm care to supply prrof of this mass exodus of players from the game… and before you say read the forums… ill counter it before you do and say the forums likely account for less than 1% of the gaming pop.
The game is F2P outside of the box sale therefore it caters for players wanting to play then put away until they want to play again.. that’s not an exodus that’s simply the way it is. The challenge for AN is to entice them back, and from what I have seen since day 1 is that… they come back, play through the updates and changes, then break off again… but if you can provide some hard stats then maybe we can all be enlightened, but honestly I’ve seen no drop in activity on Underworld in all areas of the game – PvE or WvW (i dont PvP much so I wouldn’t really know if that scene is good bad or indifferent, as long as I am getting into PvP maps with and against others it seems to be stable.

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

I felt like smashing my head with a brick when I worked out that it would take me 2 years to make a Legendary. A Legendary is not worth 2 years of work.

I think that’s worse then crying.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Sorry disagree… im here for loot and to experience the world of tyria, i don’t give a flying skritt about achievements or PvP of any type, that really includes wvw, i came for PvE and a fun time in the world…

I’m not competitive at all.

Posted by: Raven Paradox.1860

Raven Paradox.1860

There is no competition huh…

Do Tournaments. Become a commander and reach T1 in WvW. Obtain all Legendaries. Obtain full Arahs and complete Dungeon Master achievement.

No one cares about the world’s first. That lasts a week until everyone else figures out how to kill the boss.

World’s first 80 is essentially screaming “These people need more goals in real life and are pathetic”.

The game has the competition. I don’t see how it does not.