Role-Playing and Interactivity

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

Seemingly banal things, such as the ability to sit on a chair, sit at a desk or on the bench. Eat a meal at the table, drink liquor mug with beautiful animation. Knocking hammer on the anvil. Prepare a meal, so that it will be visible that the character is cooks food. These “role-playing” things are extremely increase game’s atmosphere and sense of presence in the game. Game need a lot more objects to interact than it is has for now. Need animated craft. Special callouts for gestures and emotions in chat window or somewhere. So as not to write basic emotions but just click.. It would not hurt to correct emotions animation as well. Synergy with the weapon (it is either lost or unnaturally stick to hands. Looks ridiculous). Minigames (not pvp oriented, cuted off from the world. But like moa races). Etc.

A strong role-play element in role-playing games is very important. From personal experience, I see that the games which have such little things are live much longer than those, which have not.

The world lives as long as person feels like a part of it. You will never be able to make the world living, if the world is just a beautiful backdrop for battles with mobs. Think about it

(edited by MeGaZlo.9516)

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

omg there are so many important things that need to be updated and you are complaining you cant sit on chairs

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

omg there are so many important things that need to be updated and you are complaining you cant sit on chairs

That’s rather inconsiderate. Role-playing elements are just as important to some people as being able to swing a sword at a Moa.

In fact they’re more important in an MMO than any other game because – oh hey – isn’t the whole point of an MMO to interact with other people? There are barely any ways to do so in this game.

(edited by Draco.2806)

Posted by: medohgeuh.4650

medohgeuh.4650

Quality of life updates are always welcome, imo. Get’s my vote.

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

On premise, I agree. I have no problems with the role-playing community, but if this takes even a second of real game development, no thanks.

Posted by: Exosferatu.2961

Exosferatu.2961

I have to agree. Talking should have animations too, you know. Even if it is just a slight hand gesture, it is fine.

It would be also nice to have some ships and airships to ride from point X to Y in addition to fast map travel. I don’t mind having carriages carry me around Divinity’s Reach or a steam vehicles in Black Citadel.

Guild Wars 2 is just one year old but we are slowly getting there.

Posted by: Wairuanor.5704

Wairuanor.5704

Yes, I kind of agree, but there’s a lack of RP in the game in general – but I don’t think the addition of some elements like objects you can interact with will change that.

medohgeuh.4650

Yes, I kind of agree, but there’s a lack of RP in the game in general – but I don’t think the addition of some elements like objects you can interact with will change that.

Depends on what server you’re on.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It’s true.

The attention to detail could be better.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Machiavel.6042

Machiavel.6042

Well, when you advertize this game as a MMORPG

You…

ROLE PLAYING GAME

Yeah, most basic thing. They missed it.

It just should be called “another MMOG”.

-I don’t suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it- Edgar Allan Poe

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

I agree heavily with the OP. “Little things” like this can make it all the more easier to get ‘in character’ and become ever more immersed in the game world.

Part of that is why I always talk to heart givers before and after I complete their task. Otherwise I just feel horribly disconnected from what I’m doing.

Posted by: Przemek.6835

Przemek.6835

SCRIPT ALL THE CHAIRS, MUGS, BENCHES AND WHATEVER ANET PLEASE.

That is one great way to make the game exciting !

I can’t even count how many times I wanted to pick up a mug from tavern and climb up on a tree to drink it there. Why can’t I do it here? ANet pls.

Posted by: Xalugami.2096

Xalugami.2096

I don’t RP often myself, but I do recall that Anet wanted to have a lot of these features in for launch, as they were talking about how expansive their RP systems would be and all the interaction you’d have in the world (such as sitting in chairs and drinking).
Guess adding in content so they can delete it is more important though.

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

I don’t RP often myself, but I do recall that Anet wanted to have a lot of these features in for launch, as they were talking about how expansive their RP systems would be and all the interaction you’d have in the world (such as sitting in chairs and drinking).
Guess adding in content so they can delete it is more important though.

Hah, sad but true. I don’t really RP myself either but I find it annoying how if you log out while /sleeping in a bed or somewhere it makes you stand up.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

One of the devs already commented awhile back on why we don’t have sitting animations.

For one, you have several distinct races, which presents problems when sitting. You’d have to animate everything from a tiny Asura to a huge Charr. And don’t forget the wide range of heights that you have to deal with.

Then you have the different types of sitting furniture. Bar stools, logs, chairs, e.t.c. You’d have to animate every single piece of furniture in the world.

Then you have to deal with clipping issues. Do we ignore them (and have people continue to complain about them) or do we just go forward and spend a ton of time towards fixing it?

All that time invested in fixing such a novelty feature is simply not worth it, especially when there are toher more important QOL fixes this game has.

Not to mention the RP community in GW2 is a very, very small minority.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Mathias.9657

Only because ANet refuse to support RP.

We have 1/10th the emotes we had in GW1.
No RP server (officially)

RPers begged for a server since beta and when ANet outright ignored them they had to make their own.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Only because ANet refuse to support RP.

We have 1/10th the emotes we had in GW1.
No RP server (officially)

RPers begged for a server since beta and when ANet outright ignored them they had to make their own.

Oh? How many RP servers did you have in Guild Wars 1?

Mathias.9657

GW didn’t have server but districts instead. Stop throwing strawman arguments at me lol, getting mad or what?

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

One of the devs already commented awhile back on why we don’t have sitting animations.

For one, you have several distinct races, which presents problems when sitting. You’d have to animate everything from a tiny Asura to a huge Charr. And don’t forget the wide range of heights that you have to deal with.

Then you have the different types of sitting furniture. Bar stools, logs, chairs, e.t.c. You’d have to animate every single piece of furniture in the world.

Then you have to deal with clipping issues. Do we ignore them (and have people continue to complain about them) or do we just go forward and spend a ton of time towards fixing it?

All that time invested in fixing such a novelty feature is simply not worth it, especially when there are toher more important QOL fixes this game has.

Perhaps it is so small in this game as well as in other games because the game itself does not encourage it by design or by intent?

I remember reading or watching a video in the past I’m sure in which I heard them clearly say they don’t want this to seem just like another mmo. They want you to feel like you are in this world, in another world actually living there as part of it.

To me it seems they have done little to push this so far but I understand they are polishing the core game right now which is much needed. But from what they described I certainly don’t think that JUST dynamic events/living story are or should be the only ways for them to add this to be a “living world”.

You need things such as player housing (yes, yes I know it’s coming), game content that is not just combat, combat, combat, combat such as fishing etc. Heck go as far as give us “jobs” if you have to, to make it believable that we are existing in this world and playing our part as well as give us something ELSE to do.

And yes even the little things like sitting in a chair and such makes all the difference in the world to all of this. They could slowly work on these small things. I undersand for some races there could be issues but they could work around them for now. For example they could have Asura, humans, Sylvari be able to sit on chairs possibly even Norn if not they and charr could instead sit on the edge of a table or the floor. There are ALWAYS work arounds if a little bit of time and thought are put into it.

I also remember reading so many months ago that Anet fixed a glitch that people were abusing to get into the Home instance in Divinity’s Reach so that they could RP there. Seemed a shame to me that was done but since it was a glitch I agree it had to be done. Even Anet themselves however said they liked that the community were embracing the RP element and such and were looking into more ways to implement it into the future. So lets just all hope it’s not too far off and yes, some day, maybe some day we can do something as simple as sit in a chair.

Lastly I would like to say, while sitting in a chair may seem silly and small just remember that once upon a time jumping was looked at in the same manner. Woah me look how much that one silly little thing impacted on this game!

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I don’t mind not being able to sit on a chair or stir a pot when I cook. I can understand how RPer would find it rather lacking though.

The only RP thing I’d like are more actionable emotes. GW had a ton. I want to be able to be able to do all those things that made the idle time fun. Like /cough /sneeze /poke /pet /flirt /roar /nod /agree /charge /clap /yawn /rock /paper /scissor

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

(edited by Seras.5702)

MeGaZlo.9516

This is logical, but the justification is quite cheap. Three of the five races are humanoids, using almost the same animation, which requires a minor calibration. Even in WoW (God forgive me for comparison) races is much more distinct, and devs gives much less attention to animations, and in spite of it all, everything worked out there. This fact makes feel slightly embarrassed for GW2.

Also, do not want to offend anyone, but I do not see any special patches which fixing bugs and issues that takes SO MUCH time and attention. So I don’t believe the excuses like “there are much more important things”.

Btw. Do not take the word “role-play” like something artsy and eccentric, in the spirit of the people playing the role of drunken elves, talking fancy language. Role-play – is a key aspect of any !role-playing! game (RPG (MMO!RPG!)). Player comes into the game, player runs the scenario, player explores, the player equips, player passes all, and… all. Player is bored. Player has nothing more to do. Because the world around him just scenery. Huge cities – are just a scene for a dozen “dialogue” NPCs with whom you can talk. No atmospherics. No “presence”. Player does not you feel like a part of the world. All around the perceived just in terms of mechanics, numbers and unfair RNG.

You can not make fun guild event in the spirit of “fill up to the bar and get drunk.” Or sit in a row on folding chairs and fishing on the canal bank. You can not participate in a bar fight. Watch the sunset while sitting campfires. Play cards with someone. Smoke hookah ala gotic. Imposingly ride around town on a horse posing by rare shining armor. And others joys like this.

One of the main reasons for the success of a good MMO – the possibility of an infinite amount of time to be engaged in nonsense. As long as the player feels that he is living in his beloved world – he’s soul will be within. Otherwise the game ends where it ends game’s progress or its meaning.

Paulytnz.7619

This is logical, but the justification is quite cheap. Three of the five races are humanoids, using almost the same animation, which requires a minor calibration. Even in WoW (God forgive me for comparison) races is much more distinct, and devs gives much less attention to animations, and in spite of it all, everything worked out there. This fact makes feel slightly embarrassed for GW2.

Also, do not want to offend anyone, but I do not see any special patches which fixing bugs and issues that takes SO MUCH time and attention. So I don’t believe the excuses like “there are much more important things”.

Btw. Do not take the word “role-play” like something artsy and eccentric, in the spirit of the people playing the role of drunken elves, talking fancy language. Role-play – is a key aspect of any !role-playing! game (RPG (MMO!RPG!)). Player comes into the game, player runs the scenario, player explores, the player equips, player passes all, and… all. Player is bored. Player has nothing more to do. Because the world around him just scenery. Huge cities – are just a scene for a dozen “dialogue” NPCs with whom you can talk. No atmospherics. No “presence”. Player does not you feel like a part of the world. All around the perceived just in terms of mechanics, numbers and unfair RNG.

You can not make fun guild event in the spirit of “fill up to the bar and get drunk.” Or sit in a row on folding chairs and fishing on the canal bank. You can not participate in a bar fight. Watch the sunset while sitting campfires. Play cards with someone. Smoke hookah ala gotic. Imposingly ride around town on a horse posing by rare shining armor. And others joys like this.

One of the main reasons for the success of a good MMO – the possibility of an infinite amount of time to be engaged in nonsense. As long as the player feels that he is living in his beloved world – he’s soul will be within. Otherwise the game ends where it ends game’s progress or its meaning.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – they need to hire a few ppl who worked on The Sims.

Posted by: Ridley.3691

Ridley.3691

It’s a big problem and one of the reasons I couldn’t get into RP in Guild Wars 2. I came here primarily for it, after spending years RPing on WoW, but because of the lack of so many features: speaking animations, not being able to sit on chairs, a lack of emotes in general, it was difficult to feel like I was really engaging with the world. I mean if I yell something and my character is just standing perfectly still, or worse, doing their idle animation, it really spoils the moment, and frankly it’s lazy of ANet. I mean WoW had all these things at or near launch, and they had 8 races which frankly were far more ‘distinct’ than the 5 GW2 races, which as said before, 3 of them are very similar in terms of body shape, on the whole.

Along with some other problems, it ultimately killed it for me and my guild, and they’ve pretty much all gone back to WoW, even without Blizzard adding much RP-focused content, the basic tools they started with were far more RP-friendly than GW2.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Don’t be so self centered.- For a portion of the player-base, “sitting on chairs” is real game play too.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Paulytnz.7619

I could see a very simple fix for this:

“coming next month to the BLTC a new item that you can sit on designed specifically for your race! Take it everywhere with you so you can sit down ANYWHERE and really look like you are part of the environment”.

Really it would not take long for them to create a chair item type tonic which sits each of the 5 races perfectly so that they can sit anywhere with them that we can sit/lay at now. They could even add a few more tables and RP areas to the game so that people can place their chairs next to them to have that community feel in place.

They would also make some small change from doing so as well.

Vol.5241

Here is Colin’s direct words:

“So, what’s the deal with chairs?”

A brief, surprised laugh. “You know, I honestly have no idea. One of the great challenges that we faced with chairs, and this is kind of ironic, is that because we put in five different races of differing heights into the game, we found we had to make every chair uniform and have everyone always sit on them the exact same way or build an entire system that recognizes the height of the chair and appropriately animates your character.”

Being able to sit on chairs is a privilege, not a right.
Johanson adds dolefully, “We kind of forced ourselves into a corner where we either go back and re-art every chair in the game, or we build this system for sitting. I think in the grand scheme of things, given all the other projects, we have going on, sitting, as important as it is, is not something we’re currently working on.”

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/colin-johanson-talks-dungeons-dragons-and-chairs

[Permabanned on Forums]

MeGaZlo.9516

As far as I can remember, there were much more flexible height configurations in Aion, for example, but anyone there could sit a chairs.

I would just forgive them refer to more important things. However, over the year of game, we saw only a slight readjustment of the AC (bugs left), recycled tequila, loot from champions, badges bag and one big balance patch (many bugs have remained the same). Not very impressive. If they have tried, could do all this in month

Draco.2806

For one, you have several distinct races, which presents problems when sitting. You’d have to animate everything from a tiny Asura to a huge Charr. And don’t forget the wide range of heights that you have to deal with…

As an amateur modeler and animator, I can tell you that those excuses are simply bogus.

All of these problems are solved with naked-eye measurements coupled with judicious application of inverse kinematics, which the game already supports to adjust the position of actor’s legs.

So is the number of people who have Legendary weapons.

Then again, how do you expect to have any RP community in a game that doesn’t support RP? And why do we assume that it’s only the RP community that benefits from these features? They’re universal.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

Interactive items like chairs are difficult for many reasons. They are much like NPC’s that you interact with, which also require bandwidth. A chair is like a mount, a horse or a vehicle, it’s placement in the world, what it is doing at every moment, who is interacting with it, who cannot interact with it if someone is already doing so. If no one is interacting with it, it still has an active presence in the game world, thus contributing to bandwidth usage, and to lag.

In content development, there just comes a point where you need to balance interactivity with performance. If or when they do guild halls and housing, sure, but in open-world, there are more tangible things to do with server resources and bandwidth. BTW, just like we don’t see a lot of doors (or any), do we? Other than static doors that just block players.

(edited by Daywolf.2630)

Vol.5241

For one, you have several distinct races, which presents problems when sitting. You’d have to animate everything from a tiny Asura to a huge Charr. And don’t forget the wide range of heights that you have to deal with…

As an amateur modeler and animator, I can tell you that those excuses are simply bogus.

All of these problems are solved with naked-eye measurements coupled with judicious application of inverse kinematics, which the game already supports to adjust the position of actor’s legs.

So is the number of people who have Legendary weapons.

Then again, how do you expect to have any RP community in a game that doesn’t support RP? And why do we assume that it’s only the RP community that benefits from these features? They’re universal.

I know nothing about animation but I give more credit to the game director who knows more about the technical capabilities of the game to have more knowledge on whether or not it can be feasibly done.

You can’t really compare legendary playerbase and RP’ers. RP’ers are a subset of MMO players that are already developed. Yes, legendaries are a tier of weapons that a very small % of the total population has but you must not forget the % of people who do not have it but are actively working on it.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Draco.2806

I know nothing about animation but I give more credit to the game director who knows more about the technical capabilities of the game to have more knowledge on whether or not it can be feasibly done.

Well, okay. I was just telling you what I know from personal experience.

I think some ordinary gamers know as much because it’s an oft-implemented solution in many games today anyway.

You can’t really compare legendary playerbase and RP’ers. RP’ers are a subset of MMO players that are already developed. Yes, legendaries are a tier of weapons that a very small % of the total population has but you must not forget the % of people who do not have it but are actively working on it.

I don’t really see the difference. They’re both used by only a “tiny percentage” of people, yet one warrants development time and other doesn’t?

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I support the OP.

The biggest problem I have with the dev’s explanation is that it lazy. I’ve seen games that have vastly different sized characters and still had the ability to interact with objects. Of course there were size/clipping issues, but the players didn’t really care about that. They just cared that they were there. A lot of players want to be able to make stupid poses and interact with different things, clipping be darned.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Draco.2806

Well, the core issues isn’t really chairs or mugs, it’s small RP details in general. Most of these only need twenty minutes from a professional animator to implement anyway.

You know how in WoW your character does a talky-pose and flaps their mouth when you /say something? Why not have that? GW2 already has tons of these animations for use in cut-scenes anyway. It’s as basic of a feature as it gets. But no, we didn’t even have chat bubbles when the Beta arrived.

How about more emotes? Something as basic as /beg, /crossedarms, /point or whatever. Again, not an insurmountable amount of effort for a good animator.

What about chat commands? Different types of /say, like /yell, /shout? Basic character interaction in-text, like /poke, /slap, /nudge and so on?

These are small details that don’t take that much development time to implement (unless your game logic sucks and you’ve hard-coded yourself into a corner).

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Yeah I’ve always wondered why we have chairs/benches in game that we can’t sit on.

you can sit in a chair in every other MMO. Maplestory even gives you a portable chair.

Daywolf.2630

Then you gotta take the type of game this is into account. The original coining of the phrase mmorpg wasn’t to a immersion themepark mmo, but to an RPG sandbox game (UO). In sandbox games are where you find the RP’ers, not so much in themepark games.

Sandbox games, players are more spaced out in the open content, among their communities, but in themepark games players are more so led though instant active gaming hubs. They are by design immersion games, they attract immersion gamers who care more about the general immersion of the game rather than the RP interaction of the world around them. They all want to play the hero, while RP’ers find that restraining to their individuality.

So really, development here cries out for more content hubs to be led through. RP’ers want more land, more structure, more world interactivity to RP with other like-minded players forging their own story.

medohgeuh.4650

GW2 isn’t really a sandbox, but it’s definitely no theme park, either.

Also, I don’t know about you guys, but it’s pretty hard not to trip over roleplayers over on Tarnished Coast. I’d say the audience is pretty sizable.

Daywolf.2630

GW2 isn’t really a sandbox, but it’s definitely no theme park, either.

Also, I don’t know about you guys, but it’s pretty hard not to trip over roleplayers over on Tarnished Coast. I’d say the audience is pretty sizable.

Progression themepark, yeah. It’s more content driven rather than player driven (to say simply). I have said a number of times it has a sandbox flavor to it, but not really a true sandbox in any way, just some tones of it. It’s part of the living world process, but still based on system mechanics.

Yes, TC is the unofficial-unofficial RP server. Unlike EQ1 that had an official RP server …though that was swarmed by immersion-ists eventually, for the added challenges that existed there. Then SOE gave in and changed the server to better fit them. There were special rules to the system there, the rest of the subscription base caught on and took it as a challenge rather than a system to better RP with. But in the beginning, it was officially tagged as the RP server, and if you didn’t RP, you were quickly shunned by the existing community there.

MeGaZlo.9516

Well, it’s not only about sitting on chairs. It’s a good eer.. elaboration makes world living. Attention to detail. Here’s an example: a carnival in DR. Do you see the carnival? I see a few people in festive hats and confetti. Dead Street. And so everywhere. You look to the left – the people are standing. Look to the right – the people are standing. Sometimes silence is broken by NPC dialogue (which can not but rejoice). Traders sold almost same stuff everywhere.

Now imagine if there were parades through the streets. Went carts, chariot. Merchants have lured you into their shops. Crafters would not stand like stone, but would tanned skin, forged weapons. Aides running around and fussing. Children play and pester you with requests to show them the beautiful sword. People would have pulled their hands, betting on auctions. Unique music in all the taverns. Vendors selling a variety of curiosities in different places. Such as rare wines in the DR. Cheese shops. Town clothing, armor, recipes, food. Now they are just standing in groups and trade, in fact, the same things. There would be achieves in the spirit of “try all types of smoked sausage in Tyria”. It would be possible to take part in the banquet. Play dice in thief guild. Catch a street robber. Play mini games (30 promised but so far only 3(!) implemented).

A lot of it is already there. But only so rarely and placed so little, almost imperceptibly. As If was done in hurry. Why can not they finish it?

(edited by MeGaZlo.9516)

Vol.5241

Yeah I’ve always wondered why we have chairs/benches in game that we can’t sit on.

you can sit in a chair in every other MMO. Maplestory even gives you a portable chair.

Yes I suppose Maplestory is an appropriate comparison to a modern MMO

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Honestly, I’d be happy if they took the CoH answer to it.

In CoH, you had several sitting emotes. You got onto the chair, and used the emote that you wanted. It took practice, but you could usually make it look like you were sitting comfortably in the chair, couch, or floor. Yes, you could also make it look stupid, such as sitting with your legs through the floor, but this let players pick what worked best for them and use it without making all the chairs interactable objects.

Drinking made a glass appear in your hand. Eating made food appear. /em walllean made you stand in a leaning-back pose, it was up to you to decide where you’d use it and to place yourself so you didn’t lean back through things.

It’s not as complex as some people are asking for, but it worked and it worked well enough for RP use.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Soulmyr.8094

Soulmyr.8094

I agree this game does a terrible job on the RP part. People saying this is a waste of time don’t realize this would improve the game for everyone not just role players, making it more immersive. I would personally find this game far more entertaining.

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

Thinking this is for RPers only is a bad way of thinking because first off it takes all kinds to make a game successful and secondly because it helps the world feel more immersed. This is partially why the industry leader is the industry leader. Weather effects, footsteps in the sand, pulling out a map when you use the map screen, the forge alive with hammer on anvil as players around it smith their goods. Everyone all 13 races able to sit down and eat in any chair, bench or stool from day 1.

These are the bells and whistles of production quality that players of all types can appreciate. It’s like the production quality that goes into an movie like the LOTR Trillogy. would it still be a good story without that quality? Well sure, but that extra effort really shows and people appreciate it.

Just like GW2 has lively cities with NPCs that walk talk and interact with their world, it has nothing to do with gameplay, and is not useful to the player at all. But we would surely miss it if it wasn’t there. Like the banter random NPCs spout or the world locations and buildings never used in a single quest line.

Early MMOs and that game in particular has spoiled us as far as these things are concerned and while the are little, they add up fast. Do you remember how many people complained in GW1 that they couldn’t jump or swim? You didn’t need to jump or swim but it took away something from the game and it was noticeable. When we walk along the beach and don’t see footprints it takes something away, as much as if there were no shadows, light sources or day/night cycles.

I know I have noticed with all the crafting going on, how strange it looks with us all just standing there around an anvil… staring out into space.

Posted by: Invisty.6435

Invisty.6435

Yes, its an MMORPG.

The problem with the “RPG” element of games these days is that developers interpret it as “Role-play according to a static, pre-defined story that we wrote for you”.

There is no support for role-playing according to its normal definition, and there won’t be. It doesn’t put money in Anet’s pocket.

Machiavel.6042

It’s not an RPG.

You play specific characters, with specific stories behind them, and all of them have the same end. VoilĂ .

For a real RPG, you have a backstory, there’s an interation with the rest of the world around you, you leave a mark, however small may it be (not a footprint, come on XD), and people may even start talking about that stranger helping people around (since we’re stuck with the “hero” archtype).

It COULD be classified as “RPG” if we had some basic elements…but we don’t.

medohgeuh.4650

Yes, its an MMORPG.

The problem with the “RPG” element of games these days is that developers interpret it as “Role-play according to a static, pre-defined story that we wrote for you”.

There is no support for role-playing according to its normal definition, and there won’t be. It doesn’t put money in Anet’s pocket.

It’s not an RPG.

You play specific characters, with specific stories behind them, and all of them have the same end. VoilĂ .

For a real RPG, you have a backstory, there’s an interation with the rest of the world around you, you leave a mark, however small may it be (not a footprint, come on XD), and people may even start talking about that stranger helping people around (since we’re stuck with the “hero” archtype).

It COULD be classified as “RPG” if we had some basic elements…but we don’t.

Except in Guild Wars 2, you are not forced into any story. After you finish the tutorial mission (or whatever you would like to call it), you are free to ignore any further story progression, allowing the player to carve their own plot with other people.

That makes it more of a “real” RPG than most games these days, especially when MMOs are concerned.

(edited by medohgeuh.4650)

Machiavel.6042

What an interesting RPG that is, then !

“Hmmm….what should I do today ? Oh, I know ! Let’s go kill the Shadow Behemoth today ! That lively fellow sure is up to no good, dare I say !”

You’ll have to explain how sittin’ on your butt all day long in Lion’s Arch, doing fractals or farming stuff makes it an RPG.

It’s not.

MMOG.

medohgeuh.4650

allowing the player to carve their own plot with other people.

That’s how. It seems to me you want a BioWare style game where you’re given a few token choices along the way, but ultimately are funneled in one, maybe two directions. Not much of an RPG in the traditional DnD sense.

Machiavel.6042

Woaaaawwww…I am at a loss for words right now in front of so much originality….

I never said I wanted the bullcrap Bioware is/was making with their recent RPGs, I was talking (did you ever took the time to read ? I wonder…) about real rpgs like the MegaTen, Golden Sun, Gothic (all of them), Tales of (any of them), etc.

You know, with story, player and story depth, stuff like that ?

I don’t mind “carving” my story with other people, it’s just that, right now, it sucks. Big time.

So, yeah, if it could be like DnD, hey ! Heaven’s here boys ! I’d be happy like a child at christmas eve !

So, yep, you got the wrong impression. Nice try though.

Posted by: Yocchan.8902

Yocchan.8902

As far as I can remember, there were much more flexible height configurations in Aion, for example, but anyone there could sit a chairs.

I would just forgive them refer to more important things. However, over the year of game, we saw only a slight readjustment of the AC (bugs left), recycled tequila, loot from champions, badges bag and one big balance patch (many bugs have remained the same). Not very impressive. If they have tried, could do all this in month

On the topic of Aion, when typing /sit a stool actually would spawn for your character to sit on. Maybe this could be a solution for GW2? Then they wouldn’t have to animate every chair in the game.

Example: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/ICappedKennedy/Aion/Aion0035.jpg

Posted by: Amok Threeohthree.8501

Amok Threeohthree.8501

I’m a nerd I’m a nerd I’m a nerd….

Really OP? Really????