Lake Doric Patched (Again) What About BFF ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

People who are against legitimate multiboxing either don’t understand, or are jealous because you can do something they can’t.

It’s basically the same as being against pay to win.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

“The farm was designed to be braindead and boring, so I made sure to figure out an even easier and more boring way of farming it. It is also something I can and quite often do, even on multiple accounts and simultaniously. People don’t understand how this works. They need to stop their whining and let me do it!”
There was seriously nothing wrong with that?

I guess Anet thought there was something wrong with it, but since they aren’t taking the same drastic measures against players who are ACTUALLY afk like rangers and, more recently necros, I’m guessing that there was another motive behind Anet’s response. My thought is that the engi-farmers were getting in the way of how Anet intended the leather farm to work.

I don’t personally have anything against people who want to play like the engi-farmers. It’s not like they can actually walk away from their computers for long periods of time like the actual afkers (ranger & necro). Those are the people who are really exploiting the game and should be punished.

There are plenty of ways to do things in GW2 without playing the game the way other people think it should be played. People get Legendaries by purchasing them on the TP instead of jumping through the hoops that most people do to get one. So? Anet made Legendaries to be sell-able so that is perfectly fine.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

Ew, that sounds like too much work. If the child is in that much pain I’ll do one of two things

If severe enough we go hospital and my account just afk times out and oh darn.

If not bad enough to go to hospital I patch him/her up and get back to what I was doing after I know the child is well enough to be left alone again.

None of those involve coming back every 5 minutes, who would do that when it comes to their child?

I do it with dinner at times, but never afk more than I need to

The above is perfectly okay, that’s been confirmed and clarified by ArenaNet.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Posted by: Bollocks.4078

Bollocks.4078

I’m glad they actually did something to stop the turret farming exploit. The fact that they did something is a clear indication that it’s not OK. What they did, however is not the best solution and it does seem to punish legit players in that area.

Here’s a better solution general solution that doesn’t punish legit players. Put a 30 sec timer on all pets and summons. If the player hasn’t targeted and/or attacked anything for 30 sec the their pets/summons stop acquiring new targets. They will continue to fight any previously acquired target even after the 30 sec expires. This would apply to Ranger pets, Necro minions, Engi Turrets, Ele Elementals, Guardian summoned weapons, etc. If you are actively playing you’ll see no difference. This would render AFK turret farming pointless without hurting legit players using turrets.

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

People who are against legitimate multiboxing either don’t understand, or are jealous because you can do something they can’t.

Well, it depends on the source of that power. Multi-boxing means that you have the hardware that supports it, either by virtual machines or several computers at hand. Some people have money to gain additional power. The power that comes from multi-boxing or farming is in a way like the power that comes with income. If the farmers had more real money at their disposal to buy the gold, they wouldn’t have to farm. I’m sure there are whales who find it hilarious to spend so much time and effort to get gold.

I think many people and even ArenaNet are against multi-boxing to farm or gain any other advantage. The reality is that you cannot enforce a ban of multi-boxing or multi-accounting. Some games tried to do that via IP-Address and restricting interaction between accounts that log in from the same location. It’s obvious how that approach fails. It keeps couples away from the game, people cannot play from Internet Cafés, people exploit it anyway etc.

If there existed a feasible way to enforce a ban on multi-boxing without punishing people who just live and play together, ArenaNet might consider it. It’s not specifically “allowed”, it’s “permitted”, it’s a pragmatic approach to the problem of multi-boxing. They really have no choice.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

(edited by Faaris.8013)

Djinn.9245

Well, it depends on the source of that power. Multi-boxing means that you have the hardware that supports it, either by virtual machines or several computers at hand. Some people have money to gain additional power. The power that comes from multi-boxing or farming is in a way like the power that comes with income. If the farmers had more real money at their disposal to buy the gold, they wouldn’t have to farm. I’m sure there are whales who find it hilarious to spend so much time and effort to get gold.

Time and money are a balance. Some people have more money than time. Some have more time than money. So people use whichever they have more of to accomplish what they want. Some are unlucky or made poor choices and don’t have enough of either which is unfortunate.

I think many people and even ArenaNet are against multi-boxing to farm or gain any other advantage.

There is no evidence that Anet is against multi-boxing and they have an official policy that states that they are not against it.

If there existed a feasible way to enforce a ban on multi-boxing without punishing people who just live and play together, ArenaNet might consider it. It’s not specifically “allowed”, it’s “permitted”, it’s a pragmatic approach to the problem of multi-boxing. They really have no choice.

Why are you making up things that Anet “might do”, and what Anet really means, based on zero evidence?

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Faaris.8013

Why are you making up things that Anet “might do”, and what Anet really means, based on zero evidence?

Do you really think ArenaNet appreciate the fact that players run a dozen accounts at the same time and siphon the created gold to the main account? Of course they don’t say so publicly, because there is nothing they can do to prevent that happening. And it’s not as public as the Engineer farm, nobody sees these people doing it.

At day 22 of the login rewards you get 8 Mystic coins = 8 gold. If you log in with a dozen other accounts that you don’t even play (and why not, free accounts, right?), and send them over to your main account, you get 96 extra gold.

I have seen people in other games with 40+ accounts. The problem is real, but not as visible as that ugly Engineer farm.

Asking for evidence makes no sense here. What would convince you that this exists and that no publisher in the world likes it?

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

They found new spot. Less effective but still.

Yes, and why do you care? There is NOTHING against the rules about doing this. Stepping away from your computer for a little bit at a time is okay. While farming often people need to use restroom, check dinner, he a parent, etc. Sometimes those just involve a quick ark of one or two minutes, or even longer. There has been a LOT of discussion in the past about that and it has been determined to be okay per A Net.

Going afk is not bannable unless it becomes chronic.

Oh come on.

Yes, RL interruptions happen all the time. Get to a safe space quickly if you can. If you have time to deploy turrets you do not have that excuse though.

In this case, nothing safer than being surrounded by turrets and people. If my child is in screaming pain I’m not gonna run to a safe spot I’m gonna bolt from my computer asap.

I do not have kids but if I did and they were screaming I would not waste the time to get my toon to a safe space. If my character dies it it a silver or 2 to WP, compared to a possible emergency going on. Where are your priorities? You call yourself a parent?

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Yes, and why do you care? There is NOTHING against the rules about doing this. Stepping away from your computer for a little bit at a time is okay. While farming often people need to use restroom, check dinner, he a parent, etc. Sometimes those just involve a quick ark of one or two minutes, or even longer. There has been a LOT of discussion in the past about that and it has been determined to be okay per A Net.

Oh come on.

Yes, RL interruptions happen all the time. Get to a safe space quickly if you can. If you have time to deploy turrets you do not have that excuse though.

In this case, nothing safer than being surrounded by turrets and people. If my child is in screaming pain I’m not gonna run to a safe spot I’m gonna bolt from my computer asap.

I do not have kids but if I did and they were screaming I would not waste the time to get my toon to a safe space. If my character dies it it a silver or 2 to WP, compared to a possible emergency going on. Where are your priorities? You call yourself a parent?

You were the one who suggested it. :p

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Menadena.7482

I don’t personally have anything against people who want to play like the engi-farmers. It’s not like they can actually walk away from their computers for long periods of time like the actual afkers (ranger & necro). Those are the people who are really exploiting the game and should be punished.

I actually prefer my rangers, necro, and ogre runes when doing winterberry runs. Not for AFKing, to have something guard my back while I concentrate on what is in front of me and the winterberry bushes.

The problem is not a specific profession. The problem is AFKing and getting loot. A solution to all of this would not be having loot drop if you are AFK (although that is easier said than done).

Warcry.1596

Oh come on.

Yeah… thats what I said.

I’m NOT gonna move my character. Why did you agree with me then call me a bad parent when you said you would do the exact same thing I did?

Menadena.7482

Do you really think ArenaNet appreciate the fact that players run a dozen accounts at the same time and siphon the created gold to the main account? Of course they don’t say so publicly, because there is nothing they can do to prevent that happening. And it’s not as public as the Engineer farm, nobody sees these people doing it.

At day 22 of the login rewards you get 8 Mystic coins = 8 gold. If you log in with a dozen other accounts that you don’t even play (and why not, free accounts, right?), and send them over to your main account, you get 96 extra gold.

I have seen people in other games with 40+ accounts. The problem is real, but not as visible as that ugly Engineer farm.

Asking for evidence makes no sense here. What would convince you that this exists and that no publisher in the world likes it?

Free accounts do not get login rewards. I have 2 paid accounts, neither one was the lowest-cost game package either. I highly doubt anet cares if I login them both at the same time or one after the other.

Menadena.7482

Oh come on.

Yeah… thats what I said.

I’m NOT gonna move my character. Why did you agree with me then call me a bad parent when you said you would do the exact same thing I did?

Maybe because I would not waste time deploying turrets and coming back in a few minutes to put them out again?

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

Oh come on.

Yeah… thats what I said.

Maybe because I would not waste time deploying turrets and coming back in a few minutes to put them out again?

Hold on, honey. Mommies going to take you to the hospital in a second. I just have to refresh my turrets!

Seriously though, the condescension of some of these people is remarkable. “I can’t always dedicate time to this game because I have a job/kids/a life in general”
We’re not all teenagers and children playing this game. Most of us have lives, and we do well enough finding time to ACTUALLY play the game without having to resort to idling away most of it in a stationary farm. Maybe you need better time management techniques.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Warcry.1596

Oh come on.

Yeah… thats what I said.

I would hope nobody would do that. In an emergency your priority shouldn’t be gaining loot in GW2 :p

Faaris.8013

Free accounts do not get login rewards.

I didn’t know that. Just proves that ArenaNet doesn’t like the idea of multi-boxing to gain advantages :P

Now, I wonder if some people decide to just purchase another account instead of 3 additional character slots. It’s cheaper if you don’t pay with ingame gold-gems, and you get 5 slots.

Djinn.9245

Do you really think ArenaNet appreciate the fact that players run a dozen accounts at the same time and siphon the created gold to the main account?

I think that Anet does appreciate a dozen accounts no matter who runs them. I’m not certain that anyone DOES run a dozen accounts at the same time. The highest number I personally know about in any game is 6 accounts. As for siphoning the gold, why would Anet care what account gets gold? It would be no different from a bunch of friends each giving a bunch of gold to one person so they can get a Legendary.

Free accounts don’t get a daily login bonus.

What would convince me that “no publisher in the world likes it” would be actual evidence to that effect.

Djinn.9245

I actually prefer my rangers, necro, and ogre runes when doing winterberry runs. Not for AFKing, to have something guard my back while I concentrate on what is in front of me and the winterberry bushes.

The problem is not a specific profession. The problem is AFKing and getting loot. A solution to all of this would not be having loot drop if you are AFK (although that is easier said than done).

That’s what I said – rangers and necros who can actually walk away from their computer for long periods of time.

Djinn.9245

I didn’t know that. Just proves that ArenaNet doesn’t like the idea of multi-boxing to gain advantages :P

That is some interesting logic…O.o

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

It does make sense. If free accounts were able to get the login rewards, a good portion of the playerbase would probably have multiple free accounts that exist for only that purpose. I’d be very surprised if preventing that degree of multi-account use wasn’t a major consideration (if not the only reason) for adding that restriction. It would be a very blatant abuse to allow, and make them and the game look bad.

On the other hand, multi-boxing with paid accounts does also present a few positives from a developer/publisher perspective. Most obviously, more sales revenue and higher sales figures to boast about. It’s probably also nice to be able to add thousands of accounts to your active player stats, without actually having to increase server capacity to handle them. And since the accounts aren’t free, it’s not as widespread, less obvious to most players, and has a much smaller impact on the game.

Sure, it would probably be better for the game to prohibit multi-boxing. But it makes sense to tolerate it, as it’s hard to fix, has some positives for Anet, and isn’t causing any major backlash. Trying to stop it would end up causing problems for legit players and create more backlash than goodwill from trying prevent abuse.

But when you look at something like this engi farm, all of those negatives become much larger problems. It’s in your face, we all know it’s happening, and the potential impact on the game/economy is greater. And these accounts are being used for long periods, eating up space on the servers. There are players that aren’t able to do group events because a pile of semi-AFK’ers are clogging up the population limit of every active map instance. It definitely got noticed by a lot of players for these reasons, and the backlash isn’t easily ignored.

It’s no longer a situation where Anet can accept the positives and look the other way because it’s not creating any big issues. It’s not tolerable when the minor negative impact turns into something large and obvious that puts a black mark on their reputation. Something has to be done to stop it, and let these players know that they crossed the line and abused Anet’s tolerance of less disruptive multi-boxing.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: Bollocks.4078

Bollocks.4078

Free accounts don’t get daily login rewards because ANET wants you to buy the game. Simple as that. Free accounts also can’t mail items. All of the restrictions on free accounts are there for two reasons. To prevent abuse and so that there’s an incentive to buy the game if you like it.

Posted by: Fremtid.3528

Fremtid.3528

I have copied a list of synonyms from thesaurus.com for permitted of which allowed is included.

acceptable allowable
allowed
approved authorized licensed sanctioned accorded chartered conceded
consented favored legalized let okay

(edited by Fremtid.3528)

Faaris.8013

I have copied a list of synonyms from thesaurus.com for permitted of which allowed is included.

acceptable allowable
allowed
approved authorized licensed sanctioned accorded chartered conceded
consented favored legalized let okay

So what? “tolerated” is also a synonyme that belongs in that list. Would you say that “I allow you to drive my car.” has the same meaning as “I tolerate you driving my car.”

Synonymes are not the same meaning with different words, otherwise they wouldn’t exist.

Fremtid.3528

Hey you said they permit us to multibox but its not really allowed. It is in fact allowed.

Fremtid.3528

In fact they mean nearly the same thing.

per·mit1
verb

give authorization or consent to (someone) to do something.
al·low

verb
give (someone) permission to do something.

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

I already put forth a solution in a different thread.
-Make minions/turrets/pets only attack who the player is attacking. That way the player has to continuously provide input.
-Make minions/turrets/pets not contribute towards a kill. Only things the player directly attacks himself will count.

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

Faaris.8013

Hey you said they permit us to multibox but its not really allowed. It is in fact allowed.

Can you show me the quote where I said that multi-boxing is not allowed? Multi-boxing is allowed, I never wrote that it isn’t.

I just think that ArenaNet is more like “yeah, we tolerate it because we can’t help it anyway.” and not “People, go ahead and do multi-boxing, that would be so great!”

Menadena.7482

Now, I wonder if some people decide to just purchase another account instead of 3 additional character slots. It’s cheaper if you don’t pay with ingame gold-gems, and you get 5 slots.

It does not say one thing or the other about multiboxing. As I said somewhere the other day what is the real difference between my multiboxing with my VM and logging out of the client to log in my other account? Beyond the second being more of a nuisance that is.

I actually bought a second account, before free accounts existed, to play with different builds. Since my main account eventually wound up with 15 characters I did not really need another account for that so I mostly use it now for login rewards and to forge major runes/sigils.

mrstealth.6701

I already put forth a solution in a different thread.
-Make minions/turrets/pets only attack who the player is attacking. That way the player has to continuously provide input.
-Make minions/turrets/pets not contribute towards a kill. Only things the player directly attacks himself will count.

I think that is too punishing toward everyone. It also has other factors, like AoE damage, muddying how a fix like this would actually function and affect players. The turrets themselves can cause AoE damage, which under this system, could lead to enemies being killed without credit despite the player actually being active.

It makes more sense to me to have turrets and other summons tied to the existing inactivity/afk timer, and simply stop attacking after a brief period of inactivity. A mechanic for stopping summons from attacking already exists, in the form of a passive toggle for ranger pets. It seems like it would be easier to use game systems that we already have, instead of adding a new convoluted set of rules.

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

I haven’t been to Lake Doric in months and I typically play with my engineer. I wasn’t that impressed with the map; especially that “farm”. I know their recent turret change kind of messed up my play style. I typically do a multi-vector attack with my eng. I would drop a turret in a hoard of enemies and over charge it from time to time while I’m attacking from different directions.

Having multiple computers (using synergy across them) I typically play the game while browsing or watching a show. I’m not afk and in active control of my character but I do reply on the character auto attacking to smooth out the attacks from time to time as my mouse is on another PC.

I just don’t understand why ANet has to nerf something every time the odd group of players complain about other players finding some advantage in line with the rules of the game. Nerfing popular things is a waste of time and resources plus it tends to push players away. Some players like myself like the gathering aspect during the lulls between new content.

Instead of nerfing things I wish they would freshen up core Tyria up a bit to keep it interesting.

mrstealth.6701

Having multiple computers (using synergy across them) I typically play the game while browsing or watching a show. I’m not afk and in active control of my character but I do reply on the character auto attacking to smooth out the attacks from time to time as my mouse is on another PC.

I just don’t understand why ANet has to nerf something every time the odd group of players complain about other players finding some advantage in line with the rules of the game. Nerfing popular things is a waste of time and resources plus it tends to push players away. Some players like myself like the gathering aspect during the lulls between new content.

What you describe doing yourself and what was happening in Lake Doric are quite different. Most of them are not actively controlling their characters, they aren’t even auto-attacking because they aren’t paying attention to the game. They are only interacting with the game briefly every few minutes to keep their turrets up. It’s a level of automated play that has more in common functionally with botting than the type of multi-boxing you describe.

Djinn.9245

It does make sense.

Having multiple accounts is not the same as multiboxing. So no, his “logic” doesn’t make sense.

Djinn.9245

Can you show me the quote where I said that multi-boxing is not allowed? Multi-boxing is allowed, I never wrote that it isn’t.

I just think that ArenaNet is more like “yeah, we tolerate it because we can’t help it anyway.” and not “People, go ahead and do multi-boxing, that would be so great!”

You deciding to attribute some random attitude for Anet is nonsensical.

mrstealth.6701

It does make sense.

Having multiple accounts is not the same as multiboxing. So no, his “logic” doesn’t make sense.

Having multiple accounts for login rewards and multi-boxing do share the same benefit. They allow a single person to bring in more loot/gold from an activity than would be possible with only one account. It’s very clear that Anet does not want unhindered multi-account use for collecting login rewards, which is a hint to their opinion on using multiple accounts to gain that advantage in other ways.

There is an obvious difference in scale and impact between the two. A lot more players would be taking advantage of unlimited login rewards if it were possible. Actively multi-boxing requires more effort/input from the player in order to gain more rewards, which makes it less common. As well as requiring a PC powerful enough to run multiple game clients, or access to multiple PCs. It’s simply more difficult to do, and doesn’t create a widespread problem despite giving the same advantage to the player. It is also much more difficult to prevent without creating problems for many other players. Add all of that up, and it’s better to just tolerate it and combat the bigger issues.

If Anet really didn’t care at all about multiple account use or multi-boxing, they probably wouldn’t have placed that restriction on free accounts. But they have proven many times, despite quite a few screwups and missteps, that they do care about protecting the game’s economy from abuse as much as is reasonably possible. I’d say multi-boxing is definitely not good for the game, as it does disrupt the intended balance of time/effort/reward. Which would, with that obvious desire to protect the economy, make it something Anet would probably not want happening.

Fremtid.3528

It’s not specifically “allowed”, it’s “permitted”, it’s a pragmatic approach to the problem of multi-boxing. They really have no choice.

It’s both.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It’s very clear that Anet does not want unhindered multi-account use for collecting login rewards, which is a hint to their opinion on using multiple accounts to gain that advantage in other ways.

Not really. What they don’t want is unhindered multi-account use that they themselves not profit of. As long as you pay for that second (or third, or sixtieth) account, it’s perfectly fine.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think there are a ton of players with multiple accounts, just as there were in Guild Wars. Does no one remember the $10 sale for Core Guild Wars 2 and the plethora of posts by players taking advantage of said sale? Or that poster with the 30 accounts? Hmm, I’ve not seen his posts recently.

Fremtid.3528

I myself have six accounts of which i collect daily login rewards everyday. They never said having multiple accounts was wrong. In fact, I sign up with the same name and credit card for every account so it’d be pretty easy to bust me.

Posted by: ZhouX.8742

ZhouX.8742

I think isn’t that big of a deal as most (most, not all) were not afk and regularly talked during the farming process.

I think the issue lies more in prohibition of a specific gameplay that a utility set was literally designed to do.

You have to look at the utility set of turrets… The purpose of the set IS specifically what the engineers were doing and this can be done ANYWHERE there is a viable spot to do so.

If you prohibit this type of gameplay, then you must literally get rid of the utility set entirely or re-work it’s purpose because that is it’s entire purpose.

The objective of turret gameplay isn’t to deploy a turret in a location to kill 2-3 mobs in a matter of 5-10 seconds, move (mind you exploding your turrets give you a massive cooldown) only to have a cooldown upon going to the next set of mobs. It’s to set a form of perimeter defense around something specifically to defend against things from entering and/or to kill things repeatedly in a specific area. Even in PvP turrets the gameplay was structured this way to stay in one location on conquest point and wait for enemies to come and kill them/defend the objective and bunker a point.

I think fundamentally this is an issue not so much with farming , as everyone is looking at but prohibiting a type of game play that was added by Anet themselves into a utility set for a class specifically to what they are prohibiting.

With necro minions it’s a bit different as minions move with you , same with guardian spirits but with engineer farming like this, this was what the utility set was designed for.

This is more a lack of vision and an error on Gw2 engineering as opposed to the players utilizing it.

Tanbin

Posted by: Fivona.5061

Fivona.5061

So they made adjustments for Lake Doric. When they will do something for BFF, i wonder…

mrstealth.6701

It’s very clear that Anet does not want unhindered multi-account use for collecting login rewards, which is a hint to their opinion on using multiple accounts to gain that advantage in other ways.

Not really. What they don’t want is unhindered multi-account use that they themselves not profit of. As long as you pay for that second (or third, or sixtieth) account, it’s perfectly fine.

I think there are enough other restrictions on free accounts to incentivize upgrading to a paid account. Some of those would even prevent free accounts from transferring profits/items back to a main account if login rewards were given to them.

Giving more thought to it, it seems more likely to be a measure to keep botters from hoarding free login rewards then doing a mass account upgrade through a chargeback/stolen credit card/etc scheme. They are the obvious target of a number of other restrictions placed on both free and paid accounts, and are definitely a major concern for Anet. Even though these other restrictions could potentially stop botters from succeeding in such a scheme, they could still cause significant economic damage with only the free accounts collecting and converting daily rewards to gold.

That said, I don’t doubt that profiting from the extra account sales makes multiple accounts more tolerable from their perspective. But I still think the health and integrity of the game are are more important than short term cash grabs, as it provides long term profitability. Trying to prevent multi-accounting would also cause more problems than it’s worth.

(edited by mrstealth.6701)

Posted by: chemie banger.9624

chemie banger.9624

Next they’ll nerf Iron marches necro farm for Luminous Dust.

Attachments:

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

I think isn’t that big of a deal as most (most, not all) were not afk and regularly talked during the farming process.

I think the issue lies more in prohibition of a specific gameplay that a utility set was literally designed to do.

this

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens