Laurels concerns

Laurels concerns

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hroatgar.5814

Hroatgar.5814

Hi,
I started playing GW2 since the first Beta and I always enjoyed playing this fabulous game. I leveled my first character pretty quickly and when I reached the level cap I saw that the only real end-game goal was to get better gear so I farmed my old-school exotic berserker armor and stopped playing after that… But now, since the announcement of the upcoming expansion which is supposed to fix various flaws in the game, I’m back from the dead. I’m trying to get the best gear (now Ascended) for my characters since there is, in my opinion, no major progression other than that as for now.

I’m a player that always look for progression in a MMORPG and the character I’m currently playing on must be stronger at the end of the day than yesterday for me to keep playing. I heard that there will be no level cap increase or gear upgrade in HoT so I’m eager to see how they’ll manage to invent a good post-80 progression.

So, like I said, I started farming my Ascended gear. I watched multiple guide/tutorials to get me to a point where I can easily farm everything I need for at least 1 piece per day… Except for the Laurels. Everything went well at first but when I saw that I needed more Laurels for another recipe I said to myself: OK! How do we get more Laurels? After a quick Google search I realized that I must wait a big 10 days before getting enough Laurels to craft another piece! At first i was like: “This is impossible! There must be another way. This game was meant to cure the world of the frustrating old-school MMO conceptions.”

But no, it was the sad reality. At least in the other subscription-based MMO they have a reason to make you wait for your progression because they prefer that you take 2-3 months to reach a certain goal than 1 week because it gives them more cash. But in GW2? I cannot find a single good reason why we must simply wait multiple days to get what we want. I mean, it’s fine to make us farm allot for something but just wait? Is this a mobile game?

I’m certain that some of you guys have never stopped playing and have countless of Laurels at the moment but put yourself in my shoes for a minute. I want to progress and I’m even willing to pay for it but I’m clearly slowed down by the current system and this not profitable for me nor Anet. So as for now I’m either /dance-ing in Lion Arch or doing some WvW but I’m slowy losing my interest in the game, again.

Finally, I have an habits that when I make a complaint about something in a game I must also post a solution to the problem so here I go:

Make Laurels farmable without limits like everything else so that devoted players will be able to progress as fast as they want.

(edited by Hroatgar.5814)

Laurels concerns

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

At this moment the daily festival reward gives you an extra laurel as well. Not sure if you factored that in.

Laurels concerns

Hroatgar.5814

At this moment the daily festival reward gives you an extra laurel as well. Not sure if you factored that in.

1 Laurel every day? This is for sure an improvement but this is temporary and the limitation remains.

Laurels concerns

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You can get up to 55 laurels per month not counting what the current event gives each day. Laurels are far from being an issue for most people.

Laurels concerns

Posted by: Alerno.1425

Alerno.1425

So you want everything now and easy?
That is the problem with todays games and kids, they are given everything they want immediately that they want it.

You want that “devoted” players are able to progress as fast as they want. Well, they can. Devoted players log in everyday and you, by your own words, you are not devoted player. Why should you then get all the rewards immediately?

Please keep somethings hard in game.

I myself was away for extended period, as I grew bored in the game. But I accept that I do not have hundreds of Laurels that I need because of that. I do not try to change the system, because of my own faults.

Laurels concerns

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

If it’s any consolation the Ascended will not make you a god or open up any content you couldn’t do with Exotic.

I get it that you need to have a goal to work towards. How about working towards a legendary in the meantime while you wait for the laurels? What about WvW ranks? Achievement points?

In summary though, if all you care for progression is your stats, GW2 is probably the wrong game for you. Sorry.

One – Piken Square

Laurels concerns

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I think one of the reasons for gating laurels back when it was introduced was in your post.

“I’m a player that always look for progression in a MMORPG and the character I’m currently playing on must be stronger at the end of the day than yesterday for me to keep playing.”

If laurels weren’t gated, when ascended gear came out players like you would have quickly crafted it then stopped playing. By slowing progress, it keeps these players logging on longer. There wasn’t a reason for ANet to make laurels farmable because players like you would have made their ascended gear and stopped playing faster. Not a plus for them and not healthy for the game.

Laurels concerns

Vayne.8563

1 Laurel every day? This is for sure an improvement but this is temporary and the limitation remains.

Ascended armor is and has always been time gated. You don’t need it to play the game today. I’m not really sure what your rush is.

As you up to level 50 fractals?

It was meant to be a long term goal. That was by design.

And yes, it’s temporary but it’s still 1 a day for at least a couple of weeks, and probably more, so that it will at least aid you in your specific problem.

Laurels concerns

Hroatgar.5814

Firstly I want to thank everyone for the replies.

That is the problem with todays games and kids, they are given everything they want immediately that they want it.

You want that “devoted” players are able to progress as fast as they want. Well, they can. Devoted players log in everyday and you, by your own words, you are not devoted player. Why should you then get all the rewards immediately?

I myself was away for extended period, as I grew bored in the game. But I accept that I do not have hundreds of Laurels that I need because of that. I do not try to change the system, because of my own faults.

Please do not make quick conclusions. I’m far from a kid and nowhere in my post you’ll see the word “easy”, I currently want the opposite but time gates is not a good thing for an mmo for devoted players. Like I said:

Make Laurels farmable without limits like everything else so that devoted players will be able to progress as fast as they want.

Laurels concerns

Tom Gore.4035

Make Laurels farmable without limits like everything else so that devoted players will be able to progress [b]as fast as they want[/n].

Laurels are not the only time gated stuff in GW2. Charged Quartz, for example, is another. There are also more time gated items, but most of them are tradeable, so one could skip it with enough gold (and the amount of gold I’m making with the daily crafts tells me people have way too much gold and way too little patience).

One – Piken Square

Laurels concerns

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

Laurels, time-gated and temp content were the worst ideas Anet ever had.

Laurels concerns

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Firstly I want to thank everyone for the replies.

Please do not make quick conclusions. I’m far from a kid and nowhere in my post you’ll see the word “easy”, I currently want the opposite but time gates is not a good thing for an mmo for devoted players. Like I said:

And then content locust as that what i see when you say devoted players will turn around and say
- Now what I got all that there is to get in the game and nothing else left to do give me MORE.
Or quit the game another 9 months while they wait for content.

A devoted player is like me who played most of of the last two years with breaks now and then, Im sitting on 550 laurels atm and can do the content when ever I want.

Laurels concerns

Vayne.8563

That really is the problem. The first guys that complain it takes too long, are often the first guys gone as soon as there’s “nothing to do”. You can’t have it both ways.

I want it fast and then there’s not enough content? Well no game in existence can make content fast enough for some players.

This allows slower players to catch up, and stay a bit more current while slowing down players who have nothing but time.

Is it annoying to some players? Absolutely? Will some players leave because it’s annoying? Probably yes. Are there more that will stay and do it? My guess is yes.

Laurels concerns

Shiyo.3578

I think one of the reasons for gating laurels back when it was introduced was in your post.

“I’m a player that always look for progression in a MMORPG and the character I’m currently playing on must be stronger at the end of the day than yesterday for me to keep playing.”

If laurels weren’t gated, when ascended gear came out players like you would have quickly crafted it then stopped playing. By slowing progress, it keeps these players logging on longer. There wasn’t a reason for ANet to make laurels farmable because players like you would have made their ascended gear and stopped playing faster. Not a plus for them and not healthy for the game.

More people I know quit from things being time-gated than they do from running out of things to do.

And then content locust as that what i see when you say devoted players will turn around and say
- Now what I got all that there is to get in the game and nothing else left to do give me MORE.

A devoted player is like me who played most of of the last two years with breaks now and then, Im sitting on 550 laurels atm and can do the content when ever I want.

“Content locusts”, what an awful saying.

As I said. every hardcore player I’ve ever known to play MMO’s has always quit more due to time-gated lock outs than have quit due to burning out.

Time gated stuff is bad design.

(edited by Shiyo.3578)

Laurels concerns

Hroatgar.5814

That is exactly the job of a MMO company to make their game worth more than 2 weeks of gameplay and there are many alternative other than make time gates. Like I said I’m eager to see how they will rework the game in HoT but until then…

Laurels concerns

Astral Projections.7320

More people I know quit from things being time-gated than they do from running out of things to do.

“Content locusts”, what an awful saying.

As I said. every hardcore player I’ve ever known to play MMO’s has always quit more due to time-gated lock outs than have quit due to burning out.

And OP would have been one of those, if he was playing back then, who crafted the ascended gear then quit playing since there was no further progression for his character in terms of getting stronger the next day. If it wasn’t gated he would have finished earlier and quit earlier.

So for these players, gating or not gating makes no difference. They will leave anyway once they reach the power cap.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Laurels concerns

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

In GW2 case, they quit because of time gated mats and craft? I am sorry but seems rather silly to me when all the ending product can be easily acquired from TP. Kinda simple here, don’t want to wait? No problem, burn your gold and buy it now.

I am a veteran player, more than 7000 hours, and time gated craft gave me an aim to focus when decided to go for 2 sets of ascended gear. Could have bought all the stuff I need but opted to play the game and enjoy, not making a farm out of it, simply playing the content I like while searching for the mats I needed in order to finish my set.

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

Laurels concerns

Shiyo.3578

Everyone I know who played GW2 at release for ~6 months quit due to time-gated gearing(Ascended laurels, this was even before ascended gear was BOA so lol @ gearing more than 1 char) and temp content.

Both things seem to have gone away, honestly, as laurels as MUCH easier to get now and ascended gear is BOA. Temp content is pretty much completely gone outside holidays, which is 100% fine and how temp content should work. Great to see Anet learn from and admit to their mistakes.

Laurels concerns

Astral Projections.7320

Everyone I know who quit Guild Wars 2 at release for ~ 6 months did not quit for that reason. They quit for a variety of reasons, but it wasn’t because of time gating. My whole guild pretty much died. Time gating wasn’t why.

Laurels concerns

Vayne.8563

The biggest complaint on the forums when most people were quitting was not having anything to do at max level. While Anet tried to solve that problem they introduced time gating in an attempt to give people something to work for. That’s my interpretation anyway.

Many of the people who left, left because they saw it as a betrayal, not because of time gating.

Saying otherwise is trying to rewrite history.

Laurels concerns

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

I don’t know anyone who’s quit because of time-gating. Certainly plenty who have been annoyed by it from time to time, but not quit because of it (or with it as a main reason).

If you do, it means that there’s something you want… you don’t want to wait to get it… and there’s nothing else in the game holding your interest.

Meaning that usually, the last part is the real reason you quit. You’ve simply lost interest in the game.

Laurels concerns

Posted by: dobri.7820

dobri.7820

As I see it:

" I played the game – got the best stats – stop playng the game"

and now I saw new stats and I need to have them

and I need to play the game too long – to stop playing it again ….

Laurels concerns

Hroatgar.5814

So as i can see, Almost everybody here agree on the fact that time gates should not be used to lengthen the end-game time since it discourage most if not all people that start/restart playing the game.

Laurels concerns

Vayne.8563

So as i can see, Almost everybody agree on the fact that time gates should not be used to lengthen the end-game time since it discourage most if not all people that start/restart playing the game.

You mean of like the six people that posted in this thread?

You’d need a whole lot more than a few hundred people commenting to know what most people think. Probably more than a few thousand.

Laurels concerns

Hroatgar.5814

So as i can see, Almost everybody agree on the fact that time gates should not be used to lengthen the end-game time since it discourage most if not all people that start/restart playing the game.

You mean of like the six people that posted in this thread?

You’d need a whole lot more than a few hundred people commenting to know what most people think. Probably more than a few thousand.

Of course I’m not referring to the whole universe -_-’

let me edit my post­.

Laurels concerns

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I have nothing to spend Laurels on, so making them farmable in unlimited quantities is a horrible idea. Even after spending them on the Mystery Cat Tonic, and Ascended stuff, I have a pile that just sits there.

I think the best choice you could have made is not quit playing. Just because you decided to return to the game, you’re not Entitled to catching up for all the lost time you chose to lose.

Attachments:

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Laurels concerns

Astral Projections.7320

So as i can see, Almost everybody here agree on the fact that time gates should not be used to lengthen the end-game time since it discourage most if not all people that start/restart playing the game.

Most? So far in this thread it’s been you and one other person. I may not be familiar with new math but my old math doesn’t make that most.

Laurels concerns

Posted by: Fakkahe.3108

Fakkahe.3108

Laurels, time-gated and temp content were the worst ideas Anet ever had.

This so much

Laurels concerns

Hroatgar.5814

I have nothing to spend Laurels on, so making them farmable in unlimited quantities is a horrible idea. Even after spending them on the Mystery Cat Tonic, and Ascended stuff, I have a pile that just sits there.

I think the best choice you could have made is not quit playing. Just because you decided to return to the game, you’re not Entitled to catching up for all the lost time you chose to lose.

It is not because you did not stop playing and have a tons of laurels that this is a terrible idea. Some people play MMO casually and others, like me, play them intensively. Why the people that take their time and do not worry that much about elitism should be equally rewarded for their game time? Do you think this is fair? If yes then be proud of time gates and I can refer you hundreds of time based mobile game that you will probably like.

Laurels concerns

Vayne.8563

It is not because you did not stop playing and have a tons of laurels that this is a terrible idea. Some people play MMO casually and other, like me, play them intensively. Why should the people that take their time and do not worry that much about elitism should be equally be rewarded for their game time? Do you think this is fair? If yes then be proud of time gates and I can refer you hundreds of time based mobile game that you will probably like.

But if you’re causal why do you need it NOW? See a casual person should be happy they’ll just get the stuff eventually logging in…because they’re casual. If they’re insisting on doing stuff now, they’re not casual…at least in attitude.

Now if you’re causal in playing and impatient in attitude, most games can’t deal with that.

Laurels concerns

Smooth Penguin.5294

It is not because you did not stop playing and have a tons of laurels that this is a terrible idea. Some people play MMO casually and other, like me, play them intensively. Why should the people that take their time and do not worry that much about elitism should be equally be rewarded for their game time? Do you think this is fair? If yes then be proud of time gates and I can refer you hundreds of time based mobile game that you will probably like.

People who play casually do not deserve the same rewards as someone who plays daily. If you put in the efforts to log in and get your Daily/Monthly Laurels in the past, then you’ve earned them. If you don’t play as often, or quit and just returned after a long absence, you start where you left off. That’s pretty darn fair in my books.

Laurels concerns

Hroatgar.5814

People who play casually do not deserve the same rewards as someone who plays daily. If you put in the efforts to log in and get your Daily/Monthly Laurels in the past, then you’ve earned them. If you don’t play as often, or quit and just returned after a long absence, you start where you left off. That’s pretty darn fair in my books.

Just loging into a game to get rewards is casual play in my book.

EDIT:
I mean I want to farm more or pay for it but I can’t. Don’t you think this is ironic?

I want to progress more the hard way! Why don’t you let me do it Anet! I want to play now! lol XD

Laurels concerns

Tom Gore.4035

Not catering to content locusts is the best thing Anet ever did (although they caved in a bit in the form of Ascended gear). I hope they never change their target audience (which is casual gamers who spend an hour or two per day on average in the game).

One – Piken Square

Laurels concerns

Smooth Penguin.5294

Then you should have over 1,000 Laurels by now if you didn’t spend any. The system is working as intended.

Laurels concerns

Shiyo.3578

Not catering to content locusts is the best thing Anet ever did (although they caved in a bit in the form of Ascended gear). I hope they never change their target audience (which is casual gamers who spend an hour or two per day on average in the game).

Yeah, because we need another casual MMO in the oversaturated casual MMO market.

“Content locust” is an awful word, can people stop using it?

Laurels concerns

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Laurels were designed to be a time gated system. Everyone is basically equal and ArenaNet knows how long something should take to acquire. You can however farm laurels by farming achievements.

The system is rather useless now however since they didn’t put a cap on it. Anything they add will simply be immediately purchased by veteran players, though it still has a time based value.

If laurels were farmable, you do realize what would happen right? The costs would increase so that the item remains balanced on taking a certain amount of time to acquire. Grinding is a time gate.

Laurels concerns

Hroatgar.5814

Then you should have over 1,000 Laurels by now if you didn’t spend any. The system is working as intended.

I can’t agree more that the system is working as intended, for casual players yes.

I’m sitting here just waiting for replies because i have nothing more to do at the moment. I’m craving to get into the game and farm those amazing events and world bosses but I have too much of the farmable materials… I just need those laurels but I can’t progress because of the time gates! Please Anet let me play your game! I want to swing my sword, play RP and slay those Alien-looking plants in silverwaste but you guys don’t let me progress! :’(

TAKE MY MONEY

Laurels concerns

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Sorry OP but like others have said.. we now get more Laurels per month than previously, then factor in the addition of daily laurel rewards from dragon bash.. I see no room for argument.

Fact is you came you saw you conquered upto the point you gear your characters in exotics (pats you on back). But Ascended items are not supposed to be something you can loot, craft and play with all in one day otherwise the game would be forced to have new items, new progressions every single week and that’s just not realistic, no matter what MMO you play.
You say your an intensive MMO player, but you you decided the game couldn’t satisfy your needs so you left… what made you think that coming back would be any different. Every MMO whether its B2P, F2P or P2P has to have hooks to try to encourage retainment.. many have gear trains that never end, others have hunt the special snowflake items… GW2 has cosmetics with some small gear stat progression but every MMO has one thing in common it makes certain things harder to obtain/achieve in order to keep you coming back for as long as possible.
Is that so hard to understand.. you want it so you gotta earn it – and that unfortunately takes a little time on occasion.

Laurels concerns

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

I can’t agree more that the system is working as intended, for casual players yes.

I’m sitting here just waiting for replies because i have nothing more to do at the moment. I’m craving to get into the game and farm those amazing events and world bosses but I have too much of the farmable materials… I just need those laurels but I can’t progress because of the time gates! Please Anet let play your game! I want to swing my sword, play RP and slay those Alien-looking plants in silverwaste but you guys don’t let me progress! :’(

TAKE MY MONEY

Well, no. From what you’re saying you have a self-imposed ‘gate.’ You seem unwilling to go and do anything until you get the ascended gear you want. There’s really nothing stopping you from doing any of the things you want.

Laurels concerns

Hroatgar.5814

I’m sitting here just waiting for replies because i have nothing more to do at the moment. I’m craving to get into the game and farm those amazing events and world bosses but I have too much of the farmable materials… I just need those laurels but I can’t progress because of the time gates! Please Anet let play your game! I want to swing my sword, play RP and slay those Alien-looking plants in silverwaste but you guys don’t let me progress! :’(

TAKE MY MONEY

Well, no. From what you’re saying you have a self-imposed ‘gate.’ You seem unwilling to go and do anything until you get the ascended gear you want. There’s really nothing stopping you from doing any of the things you want.

Tell me another progression i can devour then.

Laurels concerns

Posted by: AdaephonDelat.3890

AdaephonDelat.3890

TAKE MY MONEY

What’s you fractal reward level? How much AR do you have?

[BAD] a casual PvE guild on Aurora Glade.
http://bad-eu.guildlaunch.com
The Family Deuce. Asuran Adventure Specialists.

Laurels concerns

Hroatgar.5814

TAKE MY MONEY

Yea i forgot to mention that, unfortunately, i’m aiming for WvW infusion which require, of course, more Laurels.

Laurels concerns

Posted by: jia li ng.8415

jia li ng.8415

I like GuildWars2 just the way they have it now, you play you eventually succeed at obtaining what you think makes Über .. but it is just a perception of Über-ness .. because the game is flux .. things change in Tyria, it isn’t a stagnant cesspool like most every other MMORPG out there .. been there, done it .. and by the time you’ve finally finished crafting your superman suit of armor, BAM .. nerfed ya

Laurels concerns

Tom Gore.4035

Yeah, because we need another casual MMO in the oversaturated casual MMO market.

“Content locust” is an awful word, can people stop using it?

You mean one quality casual MMO in the bunch of dime in a dozen asian ripoff “casual” P2W MMOs?

Content locust is a very suitable term for the ravenous hordes of MMO players who jump from MMO to MMO every month, consume all content within a week (usually skipping all optional content and all lore/text because their goal is to max progression) and come crying to the official forums for more.

You still haven’t answered why any MMO developer would let players blast through all the content they’ve created in weeks or a couple of months and then quit? How would that make sense business-wise?

One – Piken Square

Laurels concerns

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

TAKE MY MONEY

Yea i forgot to mention that, unfortunately, i’m aiming for WvW infusion which require, of course, more Laurels.

Then while you wait for laurels go increase your WvW level

Laurels concerns

Hroatgar.5814

I like GuildWars2 just the way they have it now, you play you eventually succeed at obtaining what you think makes Über .. but it is just a perception of Über-ness .. because the game is flux .. things change in Tyria, it isn’t a stagnant cesspool like most every other MMORPG out there .. been there, done it .. and by the time you’ve finally finished crafting your superman suit of armor, BAM .. nerfed ya

like they said in one of their conference, the actual Ascended gear will still be the best gear in HoT and that’s what brought me back to GW2 before the expansion. Otherwise i would have simply waited for the expansion to be released and level up with my exotic gear.

Anyway, maybe this is not the perfect game for me but I will be sure to try out the next expansion. If someone from Anet read this, please read the whole topic it was very interesting. Thank you everyone.

Laurels concerns

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

Actually you can farm laurerls.

Achievments chests, the ones you get for every 500 AP gives you Laurels.

Laurels concerns

Tom Gore.4035

TAKE MY MONEY

Here’s a checklist for you:

[ ] Reached 10k achievement points
[ ] Reached rank 500 in WvW
[ ] Reached rank 80 in sPvP
[ ] Reached 100% world completion
[ ] Crafted a legendary weapon
[ ] Maximized all crafting disciplines to 400/500
[ ] Finished all jumping puzzles
[ ] Finished all Living Story Season 2 achievements
[ ] Crafted Mawdrey
[ ] Finished the Luminescent Armor collection
[ ] Finished all Tequatl Achievements
[ ] Finished all Triple Trouble Achievements
[ ] Finished the Dive Master Achievement

Come back when that’s done and I’ll make you another list.

One – Piken Square

Laurels concerns

Bubi.7942

TAKE MY MONEY

Here’s a checklist for you:

[ ] Reached 10k achievement points
[ ] Reached rank 500 in WvW
[ ] Reached rank 80 in sPvP
[ ] Reached 100% world completion
[ ] Crafted a legendary weapon
[ ] Maximized all crafting disciplines to 400/500
[ ] Finished all jumping puzzles
[ ] Finished all Living Story Season 2 achievements
[ ] Crafted Mawdrey
[ ] Finished the Luminescent Armor collection
[ ] Finished all Tequatl Achievements
[ ] Finished all Triple Trouble Achievements
[ ] Finished the Dive Master Achievement

Come back when that’s done and I’ll make you another list.

I’m done.

Edit: Nah I lied, only level 40ish in PvP-

Laurels concerns

Bubi.7942

Broken forum is broken, will be fixed with forum search bundle soon™.