Lawless Zones for open PvP

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Stochastic.1398

Stochastic.1398

Something I would really like added are lawless zones in a few maps. In these zones anyone would be attackable(except for party members). SWTOR had this and it was pretty fun.

You could also add some extra loot or something in these areas.

These areas would be completely optional but would make a much richer experience for creating variety in PvP and more meaning. These areas would also let people duel if they wanted to(though they could be KOed by another person hiding in stealth :O).

As it stands now it feels like the game is PvE with PvP tacked onto the side, being very controlled.

Posted by: Paulie.6215

Paulie.6215

I would LOVE an open pvp zone. Ganking pve’ers would make me soooooo happy.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

I just want a complete free for all arena. It doesn’t mater if you’re in the same party or anything, anyone inside the ring is fair game.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

That is already there, it is called WvW

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

There’s a portal to one in LA. It’s labeled “Eternal Battlegrounds”.

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

no, it only invites spawn / gate trolls – besides, that’s what wvw is.

I know what you are saying though, and normally I would have wanted that, but this game has too many people all too ready to grief others as their main fun time.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

Stochastic.1398

It’s not.

Stochastic.1398

no, it only invites spawn / gate trolls – besides, that’s what wvw is.

I know what you are saying though, and normally I would have wanted that, but this game has too many people all too ready to grief others as their main fun time.

It’s not what WvW is and people who can’t take the heat would be free to never enter the oven.

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

It’s not.

If you imagine “your party” being 20 people instead of 5 people, that’s exactly what it is.

Ricky.4706

it is, but it sort of sounds like you want unfair pvp.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

Posted by: Lillith.3018

Lillith.3018

You might want to check out Aion, it’s all about ganking there.

Vive’ La Yaks Bend !

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

that sounds like wvw. playing the game normally, doing events and risks of being attacked by other players, so what is it you want, random attacks while playing the game? I am confused?

Posted by: Ringsound.7806

Ringsound.7806

we could choose PVP/PVE/RP server in SWTOR
so either you could persuade anet start a new PVP server even though there are already low population server, or a big No

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Don’t make it required for PVE and I’m cool with it.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Ricky.4706

now had you said, you want a town thats a free for all ….that might be different. can’t say that i remember if any of the gw’s had a free for all mode. a last man standing mode might be interesting to watch. it might even come to mean something if someone can get enough ‘last man standing’ titles under his belt.

(edited by Ricky.4706)

Stochastic.1398

so either you could persuade anet start a new PVP server even though there are already low population server, or a big No

Not what I am talking about. On Tatooine there is a free for all area where everyone not in your group is attackable. I want something similar added to a few areas.

Aerlen.5326

So you like want a map that’s PVP only? That’s fine as long as it’s not required for anything PVE and all the toxic gankers can stay there.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Posted by: TwoGhosts.6790

TwoGhosts.6790

that sounds like wvw. playing the game normally, doing events and risks of being attacked by other players, so what is it you want, random attacks while playing the game? I am confused?

Yeah, I think that’s basically what he’s after; open world, consensual PvP, without the structured, goal driven context of WvW. Think Eve Online 0.0 space; by entering you consent to open PvP. In WoW, couldn’t you simply flag yourself as open to this in certain areas. I can’t remember now.

Anyway, while it would certainly bring an edge (for some people) to what is a pretty cosy game, it’s never gonna happen.

Stochastic.1398

So you like want a map that’s PVP only? That’s fine as long as it’s not required for anything PVE and all the toxic gankers can stay there.

There could be NPCs there, the instancing is kind of a problem since SWTOR isn’t instanced. I would prefer it to be certain sections of maps, not map wide.

Maybe add a big boss too, so you get pvp + pve, guilds would actually have something to fight over etc.

Posted by: keramatzmode.1906

keramatzmode.1906

I like this.

Make it a high loot stuff inside. Only the strong will get the best loot with limited amount of loot available.

You can party up with 5 people (or a whole guild), then will spawn from 5 different gate and get to the center of the map.
Upon exiting gate, you will be claoked for 3 minutes and revealed after exiting a proximity range. Then there’s some sort of jumping puzzle to get to the center and everybody have to fight for it or push them off a cliff

no more hugging sw chest train.
no more taxi

you want that chest? you have to fight for it. It’s like Survival of the Fittest except wvw wide scale.

Ricky.4706

nah, no partying …will only create gangs – pure friendly fire if you plan to work together – funnier that way.

I’m thinking you have to consider how any suggestion you make will be exploited for the worst. this could be fun, but it can be seriously exploited if implemented without proper consideration.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Ganking pve’ers would make me soooooo happy.

This is the reason why it’ll never happen.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Stochastic.1398

People who PvE could just not go in it.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

People who PvE could just not go in it.

It’s not the ganking part I’m referring to, it’s the motives behind why people want it. Labelling people ‘PvE-ers’ as if they hold people who play a certain way with contempt, and then wanting to laugh to themselves as they stomp them or whatever, as if PvE-ers are lesser gamers than they are.

Most of the game, especially the PvE part, is an open-world co-operative game. It should stay that way.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Well, this is about as likely to happen as it is for us to get access to Cantha or Elona this year… so good luck with that.

GW2 has always been a game with thick lines between its different game types. Open world PvP of any kind goes completely against this. There is also no narrative reasons to have open world PvP in this game the entire setting of the whole world is basically prohibitive of any kind of PvP in the open world.

Posted by: GuzziHero.5104

GuzziHero.5104

If any part of open world was PvE, and I would be have to enter it to perform any PvE activities, I’d quit the game on the spot and so would many others.

You want PvP, you have 2 entire game modes for it.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

there are games that reward intelligence, skill and ingeniuty. Then there are games that reward only time spent. GW2 is of the latter kind. And its players prefer it that way. That is basically your answer I think :P

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Not what I am talking about. On Tatooine there is a free for all area where everyone not in your group is attackable. I want something similar added to a few areas.

Except very, very few players use that openworld arena in SWTOR.. there are a few of them on various maps and none of them get utilised except to run round and grab the respawn chests there and the black market terminals.

Openworld PvP is nothing but a waste of time and will likely do more harm than good to PvE.. you wanna play fight go PvP or WvW or EotM.. maybe even the Obbi Sanctum.. if not then it will likely never be an option in GW2

Stochastic.1398

Except very, very few players use that openworld arena in SWTOR.. there are a few of them on various maps and none of them get utilised except to run round and grab the respawn chests there and the black market terminals.

Openworld PvP is nothing but a waste of time and will likely do more harm than good to PvE.. you wanna play fight go PvP or WvW or EotM.. maybe even the Obbi Sanctum.. if not then it will likely never be an option in GW2

I want a greater number of experiences then repeatedly zerging in WvW, the standard map 5v5 rotation on arena or running the same dungeon for the 100th time. Lawless- PvP zones will provide the greatest boost in content per dev time invested then any other area since the players will be generating the interactions themselves.

Aerlen.5326

Eh.. I wouldn’t mind an area like that so long as I was never required (no map completion points, no hero points, no personal story, no living story) to set foot in it and participation was optional. I know some people love PVP and others love griefing people to ruin their enjoyment of a game (if you’re the latter, you need therapy – not more PVP) so I have no problem with an optional high risk area.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

This will never happen, because it is the total opposite of one of the design pillars of the game. Since the original GW1, they have said absolutely no non-consensual pvp. If you don’t like that, and want open pvp of some form, you are in the wrong game. That’s really what you are talking about after all, an area where you can jump on people who have no interest in fighting you just because they want to experience the content.

Then again, they broke that design philosophy and spit all over pve players by requiring wvw areas for map completion, so maybe you’ll get your wish.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

My experiences with open world ‘pvp’ from WoW:

1. Level 85 player one shots my non 85 and there’s no possible way for me to do anything.

2. Same level as me player tries to attack me and spends the next half hour being corpse camped because the only people that gank are scrubs that can’t handle actual pvp.

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

The closest thing to open PvP, or whatever you want to call it, would probably be ganking people in the Obsidian Sanctum JP. Then again no-one goes there, for the jumping puzzle anyways.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Make another version of Divinities Reach where everyone is red. Turn off nameplates so people can hide behind walls and let people kills how they like.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

oh but its here already southsun survival is your thing

Posted by: Roundabout.1752

Roundabout.1752

The closest thing to open PvP, or whatever you want to call it, would probably be ganking people in the Obsidian Sanctum JP. Then again no-one goes there, for the jumping puzzle anyways.

I went there for the JP many many times finally gave up because I got tired of being ganked. Once I was almost done when a player came after me I asked to please just let me finish, I won’t even put up a fight, but no he had to kill me knowing I’d either have to lose my place and start all over to fight or die and then he took great pleasure in dancing on me. I will never PvP to many of the players there are twisted toxic just plain gross.

Posted by: elkirin.8534

elkirin.8534

The area in SWTOR that was free for all, DID NOT have high loot.

It had loot that you could get anywhere else.

If you introduce a free for all “area” it can not include exclusive loot. You could add nodes if you want something to do in there while waiting but anything else forces the “must have” gang in there and it becomes lions vs puppies.

OR

Make it total loss area so a community can punish players that seem to require it.

Dubain – Sea of Whoever we are Linked to now

Posted by: shodannet.7409

shodannet.7409

Ah Aion… Nothing was more enjoyable and relaxing after work than wasting the entire evening trying to avoid being ganked by twinked out players and realising you hadn’t gotten any further in the game by the end of it, or even got to do what you wanted to do in the first place

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Invite like-minded players to your new Guild Hall Arena and have fun! There you go. =)

Posted by: Jermoe Morrow.9501

Jermoe Morrow.9501

A guild hall style arena in LA perhaps, with a random teleport entrance or perhaps a couple seconds of stealth to prevent camping the entrance, would be something couple get behind. But even then, guild halls….

An entire zone? Might as well WvW in all honesty

80s(name-race/class):Jermoe Morrow(main) – H/Ra
Blue Dorito-S/Re|Transitor-S/En |Tina Feyspirit-N/M|
Bmoe-A/T|Peter Whatsherface-H/G|Acolyte Rin-H/N

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

I wouldn’t be opposed to a every-person-for-themsleves type of PvP arena where nobody is on a team and everybody fights everybody, ending with the winner being the last to survive. I’m not a PvP player but that’s not a bad idea actually.

Edit: But I wouldn’t want it in PvE. Any kind of player battles should remain restricted to specific arenas.

There’s something charming about rangers.

(edited by Charrbeque.8729)

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

Something I would really like added are lawless zones in a few maps. In these zones anyone would be attackable(except for party members). SWTOR had this and it was pretty fun.

You could also add some extra loot or something in these areas.

These areas would be completely optional but would make a much richer experience for creating variety in PvP and more meaning. These areas would also let people duel if they wanted to(though they could be KOed by another person hiding in stealth :O).

As it stands now it feels like the game is PvE with PvP tacked onto the side, being very controlled.

Nonononono and no.I hated ganking in WoW i will hate it here.If you want to gank people go play some other MMO.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: Liisjak.4509

Liisjak.4509

Oh imagine, gathering a party of ppl just to come and slaughter everybody that does Teq, priceless.

Sign me in.

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Waste of time and resources, nobody will actually go into this map. Better use that effort making content that more than a tiny, miniscule, fraction of the playerbase would like.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

lol this sounds just so wierd.

This would be so much waste of dev time and map space. First of all, a map for greifers and trolls, why? Another suggestions say that this place should have no impact on the game and will have no requirement to enter. But also suggestions say that loot shall be awarded to the once surviving or something, now how is this different to WvW I may ask? Also a map designed for OP and second post would be pointless as people would only go in there to gank and PvP, PvEers would not enter that map without a carrot and if Anet decided to have a carrot in there PvEers would rage. Also I am pretty sure that I don’t need evidence and clean facts that this kind of gameplay is wanted by a very minority part of the playerbase.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Oh, hey, it’s this again.

Make it absolutely lootless and not required for any progression at all, and I’ll give it a thumbs up.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Oh imagine, gathering a party of ppl just to come and slaughter everybody that does Teq, priceless.

Sign me in.

Ye, if you did that now I would report everyone of you. That is called Greifing and should not be supported by any game what so ever since it only supports bad community alot of aggresivness in my opinion.

Make it absolutely lootless and not required for any progression at all, and I’ll give it a thumbs up.

I wouldn’t, I would rather that they put dev time on something else.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I wouldn’t, I would rather that they put dev time on something else.

So would I but since I keep seeing this come up, I might as well just shut up and nod agreement. There’s no point discussing anything on this topic – the people who want it don’t want a discussion. They want to kill people in the manner they are accustomed to in other games, and won’t stop bringing this up until they get it.

Maybe if they get it and realize it sucks not having people to pick on, they’ll go away.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: krixis.9538

krixis.9538

World Vs World Vs World

open world pvp solved.

moving on

Desolation EU
Fractal lvl 80 – 126 AR

Posted by: Agyaggalamb.4796

Agyaggalamb.4796

I would LOVE an open pvp zone. Ganking pve’ers would make me soooooo happy.

This is the attitude why the the PvE crowd won’t ever touch PvP. kthxbai