Leaderboards Have Been Released!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: docMed.7692

docMed.7692

Joy.

Cya, ArenaNet.

Way to take an absolutely amazing game (Guild Wars) and drop it into the furthest abyss possible.

Recommend firing whomever thought of leaderboards.

Competition keeps some people happy. If you don’t care, don’t look at them. Problem solved.

That’s not even the problem. The problem is breeding elitism through a ficitional useless number people will put stock in even though it’s just a measurement of time invested. The only reason to honestly have leaderboards is for PvP, any kind of quantifiable PvE metric gets grabbed and ran with. I weep for the future of dungeons if they come out with stats like dungeons ran, speed clear stats, etc.

Just a bad idea overall, going to cause fragmentation.

Heavin forbid people want to clear dungeons fast and have fun at competing in this fashion!

Do you really think you’re going to join a PUG that says "we’re going for the WORLD RECORD - please ping your gear!"?!

Any group that goes for the fastest clear time would be a set group of players looking to accomplish this, etc. PUGs would not be impacted. You can already see a "fragmentation" of this sort in FOTM. PUGs don’t run 50+ (least not most).

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Joy.

Cya, ArenaNet.

Way to take an absolutely amazing game (Guild Wars) and drop it into the furthest abyss possible.

Competition keeps some people happy. If you don’t care, don’t look at them. Problem solved.

That’s not even the problem. The problem is breeding elitism through a ficitional useless number people will put stock in even though it’s just a measurement of time invested. The only reason to honestly have leaderboards is for PvP, any kind of quantifiable PvE metric gets grabbed and ran with. I weep for the future of dungeons if they come out with stats like dungeons ran, speed clear stats, etc.

Heavin forbid people want to clear dungeons fast and have fun at competing in this fashion!

Do you really think you’re going to join a PUG that says “we’re going for the WORLD RECORD – please ping your gear!”?!

Any group that goes for the fastest clear time would be a set group of players looking to accomplish this, etc. PUGs would not be impacted. You can already see a “fragmentation” of this sort in FOTM. PUGs don’t run 50+ (least not most).

I don’t pug. It’ll affect guilds too.

docMed.7692

Joy.

Cya, ArenaNet.

Do you really think you’re going to join a PUG that says “we’re going for the WORLD RECORD – please ping your gear!”?!

Any group that goes for the fastest clear time would be a set group of players looking to accomplish this, etc. PUGs would not be impacted. You can already see a “fragmentation” of this sort in FOTM. PUGs don’t run 50+ (least not most).

I don’t pug. It’ll affect guilds too.

So it will affect guilds to recruit players that want to have optimized groups and force min/maxing/etc? I don’t see the issue. There will always be casuals and there will always be hardcore, all it is doing is giving hardcore something to aim/compete for. None of these changes will impact casual players.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Joy.

Cya, ArenaNet.

Any group that goes for the fastest clear time would be a set group of players looking to accomplish this, etc. PUGs would not be impacted.

You must not of played WoW during the GS debacle, where even pugs were shunned by a number derived from a kitten poor formula that doesn’t take into account player skill or class limitations or abilities.

Maybe the Speed clear thing isn’t that big of deal for pugs, but total dungeons ran, how many times each dungeon, etc. will become a big deal, whether it is now or not.

If people want a speed run type deal, fine, do it by guild not by group or player.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

“Achievements

There are lots of different metrics to choose from, but we feel total achievement score is a good measure of overall progression. We’ll be updating this leaderboard fairly often, so we hope to see some (friendly) competition in ranking."

WvW and SPvP leaderboards make sense. From an old DAoC player, and FPS ladder player, I can understand the desire.

PvE leaderboards are a different issue. It is naive to believe that only “friendly” competition will occur. If the PvE leaderboards provide a means to create community abuse, they will take the social aspect of this game (already dangerously trodding down the WoW /Rift have-have nots schism) further into territory that will eventually cause player attrition from those that are “friendly”.

If ANet’s intent is to concentrate on the players who view PvE competition as a serious endeavor (at the expense of other customers), then ANet needs to be more transparent about their business decision, and declare their intent.

In the meantime – my one suggestion regarding this is the same I advocated for RIFT right before leaving that game: make participation in PvE leaderboards 100% optional. Give players an option to opt out of something they are NOT interested in, or that may be used against them.

I don’t plan to ever look at the PvE leaderboards. The information has no value to players who have achievements and yet who do not feel the need to display that information. (e.g. An “elite” player that does not practice elitism has no use for the leaderboards.)

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

docMed.7692

Joy.

Cya, ArenaNet.

Do you really think you’re going to join a PUG that says "we’re going for the WORLD RECORD - please ping your gear!"?!

Any group that goes for the fastest clear time would be a set group of players looking to accomplish this, etc. PUGs would not be impacted.

You must not of played WoW during the GS debacle, where even pugs were shunned by a number derived from a kitten poor formula that doesn’t take into account player skill or class limitations or abilities.

Maybe the Speed clear thing isn’t that big of deal for pugs, but total dungeons ran, how many times each dungeon, etc. will become a big deal, whether it is now or not.

If people want a speed run type deal, fine, do it by guild not by group or player.

I played WoW since closed beta phase 2 to end of CATA and demo’d MOP. So I’ve got a good idea of how it functions. Nonetheless, guilds should consist of players who have the same ideals you have and enjoy playing the game in a similar fashion, no? Yes, these changes might force guilds to split and/or change their goals/ideals, but in the long run I really don’t see how that is an issue.

docMed.7692

“Achievements

There are lots of different metrics to choose from, but we feel total achievement score is a good measure of overall progression. We’ll be updating this leaderboard fairly often, so we hope to see some (friendly) competition in ranking."

WvW and SPvP leaderboards make sense. From an old DAoC player, and FPS ladder player, I can understand the desire.

PvE leaderboards are a different issue. It is naive to believe that only “friendly” competition will occur. If the PvE leaderboards provide a means to create community abuse, they will take the social aspect of this game (already dangerously trodding down the WoW /Rift have-have nots schism) further into territory that will eventually cause player attrition from those that are “friendly”.

If ANet’s intent is to concentrate on the players who view PvE competition as a serious endeavor (at the expense of other customers), then ANet needs to be more transparent about their business decision, and declare their intent.

In the meantime – my one piece suggestion regarding this is the same I advocated for RIFT right before leaving that game: make participation in PvE leaderboards 100% optional. Give players an option to opt out of something they are NOT interested in, or that may be used against them.

I don’t plan to ever look at the PvE leaderboards. The information has no value to players who have achievements and who do not feel the need to display information.

Well isn’t that the idea of why they are only showing a top player list and slowly expanding it? Seems like people who aren’t interested wouldn’t hit it anyways and therefore would not be an issue.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Its bugged or i have no idea how it works ….i see Europe then US then again Europe …. also why some guy from US with 5k achivments is better then me if i have 6k? Search window would be nice..but it must be soooooo hard to make…. sorry for bad english i hope it gonna be better “soon”

According to a facebook comment it is indeed a bug and they working on fixing it asap.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

In the meantime – my one suggestion regarding this is the same I advocated for RIFT right before leaving that game: make participation in PvE leaderboards 100% optional. Give players an option to opt out of something they are NOT interested in, or that may be used against them.

How is the leaderboard going to be used against any player?

Posted by: pownguin.9205

pownguin.9205

I like the leaderboards.

I’m not too sure why some people would like to not be on the list. If it’s for privacy we all can already see you any time we want in game. If you’re worried about a name with four digits at the end that nobody can possibly do anything with to know anything about you in real life, then MMOs clearly aren’t for you. Even if your real name is your account ID nobody could do anything with that. Did someone make their account ID their address? I’m sure the support team would gladly help change it for you if that’s the case. People just like to complain I guess.

(edited by pownguin.9205)

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Feedback was there for current and any future expansion of the leaderboards to ensure it does not become a tool to further divide the community.

I believe the ability to “opt out” will prevent issues. see updated post.

And yes, privacy is a related issue that also needs to be addressed.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

pownguin.9205

I, and I’m sure most people, wouldn’t go up to someone and start calling them names because they’re higher on the PvE leaderboard than you. Have you heard anything about the top 1000 currently on there fighting? Was there a problem when everyone was racing to level 80 when the game first came out? The leaderboards are a cool way to see how many people played/are playing every aspect of the game. You get achievement points for everything you do.

docMed.7692

I just don’t get the issue of "community division". There’s always hardcore and there’s always casuals. All these metrics do is allow hardcores to measure their kittens which I am quite onboard for.

These dont force any players to change their current play styles - it just gives them a fun goal, if they choose to, to aim for.

Posted by: Metalized.5130

Metalized.5130

I really like the idea of leaderboards, but there’s still one minor thing I would really like to have, which is still missing. That would be the leaderboard for the jumping puzzles based on events like halloween or wintersday.

I’m pretty much into jumping puzzles and a leaderboard for these things, such as the leaderboard for the bug-race in GW1 where the overall time was measured, would make me very happy
Maybe I’m not the only one to be asking for such a thing. Couldn’t find any others yet, so sorry for a misplaced post in that case.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Yea it’s already starting up, you can tell by some of the voices in this thread. I was initially excited, then I realized what this is going to turn into.

Oh well, at least they tried to make people happy

It’s actually a wonderful system. The truly elite players don’t need to TELL everyone they are elite, they demonstrate it by winning in PVP matches and so on. So if you see someone announcing they will only associate with players with X then they are not elite players.

It’s kind of like the martial arts. People who are experts don’t go around telling everyone “I’m an expert in (martial art)!”

Let the wannabes have their fun. They’ll tell you that you do not want to group with them.

Posted by: Dangbat.2804

Dangbat.2804

I don’t like it but that’s my opinion.

PvP is based on Wins/Losses, while it should be more based on kills/deaths…
Now you can’t pug anymore because in pug group people leave all the time anyway.

Plus if it doesn’t reset, weekly/monthly then a new player will never be able to get in the list anyway.

I expected more from the leaderboards ; /

Wow you pvp and think it should be based off kills/deaths that is hilarious

Yes I do think it should be based on K/D because W/L is not a personal ranking it is a team ranking,…

And in sPvP you are competing as a team, if you don’t compete as a team, you don’t win. One on ones stats don’t matter.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

This game is slowly turning into Runescape……just kidding but yeah lol..

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

pownguin.9205

Wpvp is busted, but hey now we can give you busted ranks on top of it!

If you’re talking about WvW, I play it everyday and I don’t know what you’re talking about being busted.

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Is there any way to opt out of the leaderboards?

pownguin.9205

Why would you want to?

Vayne.8563

I opted out by being low enough on the scale to have been pushed off already. Go me! lol

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I had a look at the Leaderboards out of a mild curiosity to see where I was, but when I saw that the lowest person on the board was somewhere around the 6000 achievement point mark I didn’t bother looking any further. XD

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

Why would you want to?

Because I think it’s noones business to know what rank I have. And I do not appear in that ranking yet but they already said that the list will include more people so it’s totaly possible that one day I will appear there.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

What’s the point in leaderboards when I can’t look up my own account in it?

I don’t care much for leaderboards, but I’d at least like to see what rank I’m at.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Why would you want to?

Because I think it’s noones business to know what rank I have. And I do not appear in that ranking yet but they already said that the list will include more people so it’s totaly possible that one day I will appear there.

Exactly.

It’s sort of like running a marathon for breast cancer research and having your times, distance, speed, etc. all broadcast on live TV. Not everyone is interested in competing, and not everyone is comfortable having their names/servers displayed online for all to see.

There is a thread currently going about privacy concerns in GW2, and this, to me is another example of my account name/details being broadcast to everyone.

Just let me opt in. If I am interested in going head-to-head with others online, then I will add my name to the leaderboards.

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

I agree we should have the ability to opt out. Having had my GW1 account hacked (and successfully returned after a month of hassle) to me the leaderboards are nothing more than a list for hackers to target. Only good thing at this point about the leaderboards. Hopefully anet will give more attention to the many broken achievement points in the game. hints/hobby/and 3 slayers that are completed showing completed but giving zero points.

Posted by: Weris.5248

Weris.5248

The MoS Matchups tools has improved with these new leaderboards. It takes data from the official leaderboard and add some features like a search (by name or charcater) or a by country/language filter. It stores data over time for each player, so you can show your change over time. I hope you’ll enjoy it while waiting new feature from anet.
PvP Rankings : http://mos.millenium.org/pvp_rankings
Achievement : http://mos.millenium.org/achievements

Weris – Millenium Old School – Vizunah Square
Author of the MoS matchups Tools
http://mos.millenium.org/matchups

(edited by Weris.5248)

pownguin.9205

What’s the point in leaderboards when I can’t look up my own account in it?

I don’t care much for leaderboards, but I’d at least like to see what rank I’m at.

They said they’d keep adding to the leaderboards so you eventually could see more and more people. They’ve already went from 100-1000 people.

pownguin.9205

Why would you want to?

Exactly.

It’s sort of like running a marathon for breast cancer research and having your times, distance, speed, etc. all broadcast on live TV. Not everyone is interested in competing, and not everyone is comfortable having their names/servers displayed online for all to see.

There is a thread currently going about privacy concerns in GW2, and this, to me is another example of my account name/details being broadcast to everyone.

Just let me opt in. If I am interested in going head-to-head with others online, then I will add my name to the leaderboards.

I don’t know what you you’re trying to hide I, and everyone else playing right now, can get all of that information any time we want without you even knowing it. Leaderboards aren’t going to be any different than that.

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

I’m on the leaderboard and I won’t want to be. Casual players should never be there.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Seems to be yet another case of ArenaNet irritating the majority of the players with some pointless idea that only a very few will actually like…

Dare I list the other occasions?

I don’t want to be on the leaderboard, either. I don’t care if I’m #1. I do not want to be there. Get my name off it, please.

Posted by: Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

I think the option to hide achievement points in game and on the leaderboard is a better idea tbh.

There is no obvious security risk as nothing in the account name is used to log in with, nor send you emails outside of game. What I don’t like is people’s performance being measured and ranked for PvE, especially when the measure is such a flawed mechanic as achievement points.

E.g I get 10 achivement points for Dungeon Master and yet 40 points for levelling cooking to 400 which costs me something like 2g. Surely people are’nt saying buying and using crafting mats and a guide is 4 times more difficult and skill worthy that doing every dungeon path..

Guild Leader of DVDF www.dvdf.org.uk since 2005

Posted by: Zumy.6318

Zumy.6318

Mahahha, I am in the Top 600 and I dont even tPvP.

Thief | Zumy [Buka]
Legendary counter: Twilight, Bolt, Incinerator, Incinerator Nr. 2, Meteorlogicus, The Dreamer

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

We’ve increased the total visible players up to 1000 now, over the course of the next week or two we’ll continue to increase visible player counts and add new search and sorting options as each feature becomes stable.

Changing the page parameter to something out of range, like https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/achievements?page=50, leads to an internal server error, you may want to find a bit more elegant solution.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: turshija.3627

turshija.3627

I made my own leaderboards which crawl the official one, and added search, graphs etc
It was meant only for sPvP, but many people asked to make achievements too, so I did

Check it out here: http://www.gwshack.info
Like it ? Comment in this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Leaderboards-with-search-www-gwshack-info/first

Searchable leaderboards → http://www.gwshack.info
Leaderboards feedback → /forum/pvp/pvp/Leaderboards-with-search-www-gwshack-info/first

Chuo.4238

I made my own leaderboards which crawl the official one, and added search, graphs etc
It was meant only for sPvP, but many people asked to make achievements too, so I did

Like it ? Comment in this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Leaderboards-with-search-www-gwshack-info/first

Is it wrong of me to be laughing at ArenaNet because, once again, there’s a website out there doing it better?

How long did it take you to do that? How many people did it require? How much were they paid? If you don’t mind me asking. I’m willing to bet you did it faster, better, and for less money than ArenaNet did.

Aeonblade.8709

Joy.

Cya, ArenaNet.

I played WoW since closed beta phase 2 to end of CATA and demo’d MOP. So I’ve got a good idea of how it functions. Nonetheless, guilds should consist of players who have the same ideals you have and enjoy playing the game in a similar fashion, no? Yes, these changes might force guilds to split and/or change their goals/ideals, but in the long run I really don’t see how that is an issue.

If you don’t think something splitting a guild apart is an issue I really don’t know what to tell you. We’ll just disagree, to me guilds are important, to others I can see why they wouldn’t be.

turshija.3627

Is it wrong of me to be laughing at ArenaNet because, once again, there’s a website out there doing it better?

How long did it take you to do that? How many people did it require? How much were they paid? If you don’t mind me asking. I’m willing to bet you did it faster, better, and for less money than ArenaNet did.

I did the first version in 2 hours + I streamed it (there is a video here: http://www.twitch.tv/turshija/c/2137971), after that I invested 2-3 more hours into polishing it and adding features
That doesn’t mean I am “smarter” then Anet engineers that did that, it only means I had some spare time to make a tool I needed + uploaded it online so that everyone can use it .. I’m sure Anet devs can make that even better, but they are a small team of devs with many tasks, so they can’t invest too much time into one feature …

Leaderboards feedback → /forum/pvp/pvp/Leaderboards-with-search-www-gwshack-info/first

(edited by turshija.3627)

docMed.7692

Joy.

Cya, ArenaNet.

If you don’t think something splitting a guild apart is an issue I really don’t know what to tell you. We’ll just disagree, to me guilds are important, to others I can see why they wouldn’t be.

I don’t really think you’re quite understanding me here. Of course guilds are important (I missed the part where I said they weren’t). However, this implementation gives guilds a reason to pursue a more structured focus and interest as opposed to simply a social hangout spot. I think it’s striking the right balance and giving hardcore players more to aim for. Again, these changes won’t impact casual/pvx/go with the flow types guilds, but it will give those looking for more (and kitten flexing) something to aim for, which I’m on board for.

Aeonblade.8709

Joy.

Cya, ArenaNet.

I don’t really think you’re quite understanding me here. Of course guilds are important (I missed the part where I said they weren’t). However, this implementation gives guilds a reason to pursue a more structured focus and interest as opposed to simply a social hangout spot. I think it’s striking the right balance and giving hardcore players more to aim for. Again, these changes won’t impact casual/pvx/go with the flow types guilds, but it will give those looking for more (and kitten flexing) something to aim for, which I’m on board for.

Like I said, I respectfully disagree I can’t say anything that hasn’t already been said by both sides of this debate.

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

I did the first version in 2 hours + I streamed it (there is a video here: http://www.twitch.tv/turshija/c/2137971), after that I invested 2-3 more hours into polishing it and adding features
That doesn’t mean I am “smarter” then Anet engineers that did that, it only means I had some spare time to make a tool I needed + uploaded it online so that everyone can use it .. I’m sure Anet devs can make that even better, but they are a small team of devs with many tasks, so they can’t invest too much time into one feature …

You have to keep in mind that this player is only displaying data that already is out there, copy pasta is very very easy to do. Anet is doing much more than just putting the list out there, they are calculating your elo, showing you how far up or down you are moving in the ladder between updates, and a ton of behind the scene stuff that makes the whole leaderboard work in the first place. Remember there are millions of accounts in gw2, the fansite is only looking at 1,000 players while arenanet is looking at the 3+ million accounts they have. If you notice in this thread issues with the webpage are getting fixed relatively quickly, look a few posts up about the error on an erroneous value entered by a user, now it just lands you on the first page of the leaderboard.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

docMed.7692

Joy.

Cya, ArenaNet.

Like I said, I respectfully disagree I can’t say anything that hasn’t already been said by both sides of this debate.

It’s not really disagreeing when we’re talking apples and oranges.

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

I think the leader boards are trash and they should held back on releasing them until they had something worthwhile to show.

~ AoN ~

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

Too bad they didn’t use their resources on releasing new super weapon skins instead.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

You can sort by world now

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

To be fair, you created a spreadsheet that scrapes the existing information that ArenaNet created the infrastructure to collect. Also it looks like ArenaNet is creating a deeper infrastructure (we’ve briefly seen the up/down arrow to sort by region<—-creating for future regions) which takes more upfront time.

Not that I don’t appreciate your work, I do

turshija.3627

^
something like that – yes
but I started expanding my system much more, adding graphs, history etc and I will proceed expanding it until there is community to support it
That is complex and involves few thousand lines of code (only my personal graph plotting library is 600 lines)

I also plan adding custom signature banners etc, so you can put your avatar in it, and it updates your stats, shows graphs etc
I have experience with that, because I made it for my current project here: http://www.gametracker.rs/server_banners/193.104.68.50:28025/red/

Chuo.4238

You have to keep in mind that this player is only displaying data that already is out there, copy pasta is very very easy to do. Anet is doing much more than just putting the list out there, they are calculating your elo, showing you how far up or down you are moving in the ladder between updates, and a ton of behind the scene stuff that makes the whole leaderboard work in the first place. Remember there are millions of accounts in gw2, the fansite is only looking at 1,000 players while arenanet is looking at the 3+ million accounts they have. If you notice in this thread issues with the webpage are getting fixed relatively quickly, look a few posts up about the error on an erroneous value entered by a user, now it just lands you on the first page of the leaderboard.

I agree – he didn’t invent the data….but it took him (one person) about 2 hours to make it actually useful. Why couldnt ANet find 2 hours to do this?

Vayne.8563

I agree – he didn’t invent the data….but it took him (one person) about 2 hours to make it actually useful. Why couldnt ANet find 2 hours to do this?

Well, there are design imperatives that are different.

I took a design course once, and it was hammered into me that you really want to keep everything on the page without scrolling it. I mean hammered. Every time you had to scroll down, you failed.

Now, in retrospect, I find that really weird, but at the time, that was considered the better design, which is possibly why Anet paged the results, instead of having one long list. For some people, it might be better.

But also Anet is going for a longer game. They’re adding stuff and without knowing what they’re adding, no one can tell if the current design is good or bad.

When you design something with room for growth, you design it in stages and at first it might not look like much. But as you add functionality, it gets better.

There could be very valid reasons why Anet is using the format they’re using, including what they later plan to do with the site.

turshija.3627

It would take me 5 minutes to add pagination to these tables, but I made it this way so its much easier to search and overview results …