Leather farming

Leather farming

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: James Rustler.7860

James Rustler.7860

Since the crafting recipe changes in HoT, the prices of leather, particularly the T6 variety, have gone from much too low to absurdly high.

At the time of this posting, cured hardened leather squares are currently selling at roughly 70 silver each. Compared to the other materials in its tier, this is 2x the price of ancient wood logs (~30s), 7x the price of orichalcum ingots (~10s), and 35x the price of gossamer bolts (~2s).

I think it’s about time something was done to get this under control. Add a way to farm it, increase drop rates, adjust the recipes, anything to bring it back in line.

Leather farming

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

There is a way to farm it indirectly but not many do. It was actually one of the AFK farms.

Leather farming

Ayrilana.1396

Another issue is that so many players use the copper fed salvage tool which has a 10% chance of salvaging that leather.

Leather farming

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I believe it has been acknowledged over on Reddit now, so hopefully we will see some kind of tweaking soon.

Leather farming

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Another issue is that so many players use the copper fed salvage tool which has a 10% chance of salvaging that leather.

?

Leather farming

Ayrilana.1396

?

One of the methods of getting the leather is through salvaging. However, T6 materials are rare salvages depending on the salvage kit used. If players want more frequent T6 mats in the long run, then they need to use better kits such as masters or mystic which give a 25% an increased chance.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Leather farming

Justine.6351

?

One of the methods of getting the leather is through salvaging. However, T6 materials are rare salvages depending on the salvage kit used. If players want more frequent T6 mats in the long run, then they need to use better kits such as masters or mystic which give a 25% chance.

I was under the impression that only applied to ecto.

Leather farming

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

There’s no way the current market prices were the intended result.

That’s actually completely true … and it ruins your thread for you as well.

Anet doesn’t ‘intend’ for mats to have target prices and 70 silver isn’t actually too bad a price to pay for this item. You can’t really ‘farm’ anything in this game, except the gold you need to buy the mats you want; it’s only when you get lucky that some of those mats come from your own ingame activity. That’s how this game is designed. From where I sit, it’s actually working as intended.

To be more frank, there is no need to even have this thread … we already know Anet adjusts when they think it’s necessary; you even acknowledge that.

Leather farming

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

You can’t really ‘farm’ anything in this game, except the gold you need to buy the mats you want

That’s not entirely true. Part of the reason prices are high is that people are following that same mentality. That you can’t farm. It’s easier/faster/better to farm gold, and buy. Which of course leads to more demand, and less supply, and higher prices. Instead of getting large quantities of supply, it’s coming in trickles, with people selling what they get from salvaging.
However, heavy bags are often the best for this sort of thing, and not just any heavy bag will do. Check the wiki you can find what bags give the most, where those bags are, and the drop rates of said bags. With a little bit of research one can effectively farm just about any crafting mat.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Leather farming

Ayrilana.1396

?

One of the methods of getting the leather is through salvaging. However, T6 materials are rare salvages depending on the salvage kit used. If players want more frequent T6 mats in the long run, then they need to use better kits such as masters or mystic which give a 25% chance.

Nah. It impacts the chances of getting the next tier’s mats too.

edit: corrected my post as it’s not a flat % increase as indicated on the tools.

Leather farming

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Since the crafting recipe changes in HoT, the prices of leather, particularly the T6 variety, have gone from much too low to absurdly high.

Who decides what “much too low” means? Who decides what “absurdly high” is? Isn’t it the case that we’re suffering sticker shock, so just about everyone is worried about the new cost of leather.

In fact, part of the reason it has gone as high as it is is that people are overly-concerned and some are willing to pay premium prices for leather, thus putting pressure on prices to rise.

The nice thing is that this encourages others to sell their leather. I know a lot of returning players who got a nice windfall from “getting rid” of the leather that they forgot to vendor before they took their break. It also encourages people to find new sources.

At the time of this posting, cured hardened leather squares are currently selling at roughly 70 silver each. Compared to the other materials in its tier, this is 2x the price of ancient wood logs (~30s), 7x the price of orichalcum ingots (~10s), and 35x the price of gossamer bolts (~2s).

What difference does that make? Is there any rule that says that all T6 mats should be the same price? Especially since they are needed in differing amounts for differing purposes. (For example, leather and cloth are needed for gossamer patches, but metal isn’t.)

I think it’s about time something was done to get this under control. Add a way to farm it, increase drop rates, adjust the recipes, anything to bring it back in line.

Things are under control — you (along with many others) just don’t like the current situation. Wait it out — prices are going adjust due to saturation, due to people changing priorities, etc. My prediction: they’ll go up until people know what they need for legendary armor and then, depending on the requirements, prices will drop a little or a ton.

tl;dr the “problem” is that we aren’t used to high prices for leather and the resulting panic has pushed prices extra-high. Things will adjust again, as they did for every other commodity in the game that saw changes to supply & demand due to changes in the game.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Leather farming

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

Leather is ridiculously expensive. Crafting one set of exotic medium armour is now averaged around 40g or so. You can say there are ways to farm it but you can also farm a pre. Do u want to farm a pre? Leather farming is just not so efficient. At least based on the last time I did it, it seemed you need alot of bags just to get that precious small pile of leather. Besides, the price speaks for itself.

gaem not made for mi
===========

Leather farming

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

?

Nah. It impacts the chances of getting the next tier’s mats too.

edit: corrected my post as it’s not a flat % increase as indicated on the tools.

I would advice against using higher tier kits for salvaging.
I did some research into this “chance of rarer materials” on different salvage kits two years or so ago. I also posted my findings in a thread in the old crafting or bltc subforums, if you care to find it.

What i found out is that every salvageable items (gear as well as salvage items) seems to have an internal chance of salvaging the higher tier mat, which i believe is around 10%.

you can check that by using a crude kit, which according to its tool tip, has a 0% chance of rarer mats. But after salvaging about 1000 of the same item with a crude kit, I ended up with higher tier mats on about every 10th salvage on average anyways.

In the test samples i did afterwards with basic, fine, journeyman and master kits (10%, 15%, 20%, 25% of rarer mats) i realized that they add their chances multiplicative and not cumultative, so if you use a master kit, you dont end up with a 35% chance (base 10% + 25%) but with a 12.5% chance (base 10% * 125%).

So the difference in rarer mats you get, if you compare crude kits with master kits, isnt really worth the extra salvage fee.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Leather farming

Illconceived Was Na.9781

So the difference in rarer mats you get, if you compare crude kits with master kits, isnt really worth the extra salvage fee.

Sad face. I really haven’t found any use for the blue & green kits as a result — the mystics|master’s are good for extracting ecto and basics|copper-fed are fine for everything else.

I know some people who use silver-fed for everything, but I haven’t seen any evidence to suggest it’s worth the extra per-use cost (except on rares+).

Leather farming

Posted by: Rin of Rivvinda.4971

Rin of Rivvinda.4971

I agree with Wanze.8410.
I also did extensive salvaging of green items (samples size > 10K greens) (when luck came into the game) and ran some tests also. The only thing i found that changed with a higher rate kit is the chance that you get a sigil next to your materials. Since most sigils are cheap, the extra costs for a higher kit are not worth it.
For high level rare or better items, the chance that you get ecto is also increased, which is why its recommended to salvage those with a master kit (or equivalent) or better.

The tier of crafting materials you get form the item is only dependend on the level of the item you salvage. The kit does not have any effect on this.

PS also the amount of luck you get form a salvage is not affected by the kit.

So in general its most economical to salvage white/blue/greens with a cheap kit The crude salvage kit (15 uses) is your cheapest option followed by the copper fed salvage o matic and basic kit (25 uses) *
High level rares and exotics (lv 68 and higher) can best be salved with a master salvage kit (or similar kit) since these items can give you ecto.
Some exotics can have an expensive rune or sigil, use an black lion salvage kit on those to make sure that you get them after the salvage (100% chance with blacklion kit).

’* I did not do any calculations if the increased chance at getting a sigil with the basic kit is worth the extra costs /salvage compared to the crude kit. However unless you have a (permanent) merchant you probably want to get the basic kits anyway since it safes you a lot of inventory space since you can salvage more items/kit (in case you not already have a copper fed salvage-o-matic).

Vin Lady Venture, of The Rising Falcons [RiFa]
member of the Fissure of Woe (FoW) community

Leather farming

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

Apart from the recepies look for the next patch. Should a leather class recieve significant nerfs you may See a drop in price. Why? Because i (this is anecdotal evidence) have seen a load of leather classes arround. Honestly? Should they nerfs druid Staff 3 range loads of pewpew “roamers” will have to change as they lost their safeguard. Alas this is anecdotal, but i was doing my dailies this morging and guess what i ran into? 3 kodash druid gank grp, 1 aurora druid deffing their T2 camp, one aurora Trapper druid north of south camp. 2 kodash druids in the ruins. Druid enables players to roam in wvw and do pve open world solo with out having a high skill cap. As a result team and solo players are interested in druids. Another reason can be the scrapper, as it lowered the skill cap for engi significantly and the raw number of this class (once again anecdotal) increased.
Overall i would wait how both classes survive the next nerf round and look how prices change.

Oh, while typing i thought of another possible reason.
This resource is player generated, it cant be harvested, the content drought right now may have led to an reduction of active players and therefor less new leather and more of the stored supply being sold (thereby leading to an increases price due to lower supply and higher demand through classes and guildupgrades).

Regarding the salvage kits, i too can not support the thesis of better kits resulting in higher overall T6 leather “dropps”.

Leather farming

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

The price is high due to guild halls, chuka prevursor needing thousands of leather and raids attracting interest and ppl want ascended. In return, the source for leather is too low vs compared to metal and wood. The devs have admitted the issue now, so hopefully we will soon see a tweak.

Leather farming

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Go to Cursed Shores.
Farm events with lots of mobs.
Open Heavy Moldy Bags.
Have plenty of leather to use and sell.

It’s easy if you are willing to put forth the effort.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Leather farming

Obtena.7952

You can’t really ‘farm’ anything in this game, except the gold you need to buy the mats you want

That’s not entirely true. Part of the reason prices are high is that people are following that same mentality. That you can’t farm. It’s easier/faster/better to farm gold, and buy. Which of course leads to more demand, and less supply, and higher prices. Instead of getting large quantities of supply, it’s coming in trickles, with people selling what they get from salvaging.
However, heavy bags are often the best for this sort of thing, and not just any heavy bag will do. Check the wiki you can find what bags give the most, where those bags are, and the drop rates of said bags. With a little bit of research one can effectively farm just about any crafting mat.

I’m referring to what most MMO players think of as farming. This game doesn’t have it.

Leather farming

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Who decides what “much too low” means? Who decides what “absurdly high” is? Isn’t it the case that we’re suffering sticker shock, so just about everyone is worried about the new cost of leather.

Clearly Smith and Co. unless you think thick leather got it’s refine cost increased for kittens and giggles and patches were made just because they were bored.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Leather farming

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I’m referring to what most MMO players think of as farming. This game doesn’t have it.

And what would most MMO players think of as farming? Killing a bunch of a certain type of mob to get a certain type of desired drop that is RNG based?

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Leather farming

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Clearly Smith and Co. unless you think thick leather got it’s refine cost increased for kittens and giggles and patches were made just because they were bored.

I don’t understand why you are directing your comment at my quote — in the context of the rest of my post, this was clearly a rhetorical device to point out that “too high” and “too low” are subjective evaluations. Official, Smith & Co set the rates, but their opinion isn’t any more “objective” than any of ours. The difference is that their determination of when to intervene is data-driven (whether they decide correctly or not), whereas players ask for intervention when we feel things cost too much.

Feelings are a good enough reason to investigate further, but data is a better tool for making decisions that impact the entire economy & every player in it.

Leather farming

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

Go to Cursed Shores.
Open Heavy Moldy Bags.

I tried that.

10 hours of pure stupidity and I got… 36 t6 leather sections.

Gave up on any new gearing plans and sold them.

As to using silver-fed salvage-o-mat… I tried that for some time, but there was no increase in getting t6 mats. Takes quite some faith to keep on believing that after hard facts suggest otherwise. I dont have that faith.

Leather farming

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Go to Cursed Shores.
Open Heavy Moldy Bags.

I tried that.

As to using silver-fed salvage-o-mat… I tried that for some time, but there was no increase in getting t6 mats. Takes quite some faith to keep on believing that after hard facts suggest otherwise. I dont have that faith.

In 10 hours as you say, of farming Cursed Shores you should have made a nice amount of gold to acquire more leather from the tp plus the drops. Except you gave up and sold the ones you did get as a drop… something is not making sense here.

Leather farming

Obtena.7952

Go to Cursed Shores.
Open Heavy Moldy Bags.

I tried that.

Or patience or awareness … what did you do with all the OTHER mats you got from your 10 hours of farming? Sold them and used the gold to purchase more T6 leather? No? OK … then you’re doing it wrong. No reason to refuse playing along with how the system is intended to be used.

Leather farming

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

To all the people who assume farming gold and buying leather on TP = farming leather…… they aren’t the same thing. Not even close. Farming gold is one thing. Farming a material is another.

We have ways of truly farming wood, metal ores, and plant stuff in this game. We have no way to farm leather outside of map rewards occasionally. You can tell people to farm gold and buy leather on TP all you want, but don’t pretend like that is the same thing as actually farming leather. Farming leather can only happen if there is a reliable way to obtain it yourself, ie some type of leather nodes. TP isn’t earning it yourself. And salvaging is not guaranteed to be leather.

Leather farming

CMM.6712

It is indeed possible to farm bags that have materials in them, including leather. Then open them on a character around the level of the tier you are trying to obtain. It is possible, many have done it already. The leather node for home instance is available in the gem store as another option.

Everyone would like more options but there aren’t any at present. Farming the gold to purchase something is indeed earning it yourself, not sure how that could be seen as otherwise.

Leather farming

OriOri.8724

It is indeed possible to farm bags that have materials in them, including leather. Then open them on a character around the level of the tier you are trying to obtain. It is possible, many have done it already. The leather node for home instance is available in the gem store as another option.

Everyone would like more options but there aren’t any at present. Farming the gold to purchase something is indeed earning it yourself, not sure how that could be seen as otherwise.

Farming gold is not farming leather. Farming leather results in directly yielding leather. If you have to go through the TP then it is farming gold plain and simple. Same thing with bags. Show me any bag that is easy enough to acquire in large quantities that is guaranteed to give you leather of a certain tier. You can’t because they don’t exist. Just because bags drop leather doesn’t mean that counts as leather farming. ANet has not introduced a way to farm leather in this game

Leather farming

CMM.6712

K

Leather farming

Posted by: Gambino.2109

Gambino.2109

I’d seriously be more concern with Mystic coins… I mean use karma to convert for those mats.. and or Open gear loot you’ve hoarded with appropriate leveled toons.

Mystic coins on the other hand.. yeah

Leather farming

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

TP isn’t earning it yourself.

Aha. Herein lies the crux of the disagreement.

What many of us are saying is that farming gold and buying off the TP is equally valid as farming leather directly. Really, it’s ok. That’s how it’s meant to work.

In more detail, leather and cloth goes to everyone, even people who are not looking for it. If you are not looking for it, you sell to those who are. That is how an economy works.

Now, let’s look at buying legendaries. If I farm gold and buy one off theTP, did I earn it? Technically, yes, but I didn’t craft it, which is what people mean — so it’s not the same. People don’t mean earning leather by farming it directly. There’s no respect you get for not buying leather off the TP. So, buying leather off the TP is not equivalent to buying legendaries off the TP. (If you want to buy a legendary off the TP, go ahead, but I don’t find it much fun.)

Leather farming

Obtena.7952

To all the people who assume farming gold and buying leather on TP = farming leather…… they aren’t the same thing. Not even close. Farming gold is one thing. Farming a material is another.

We have ways of truly farming wood, metal ores, and plant stuff in this game. We have no way to farm leather outside of map rewards occasionally. You can tell people to farm gold and buy leather on TP all you want, but don’t pretend like that is the same thing as actually farming leather. Farming leather can only happen if there is a reliable way to obtain it yourself, ie some type of leather nodes. TP isn’t earning it yourself. And salvaging is not guaranteed to be leather.

I don’t think anyone is assuming that but ….

I do see people complaining that they can’t farm efficiently assuming Anet designed the game so they could farm efficiently. It is not and if that’s a problem for people, those people need to decide if GW2 is still the kind of game they want to play DESPITE the inefficiency of farming materials in the traditional MMO approach.

This is not a deficiency with the game, it’s a mindset of players. Anet did not design their game around ‘traditions’ from other MMO’s. That’s what makes it GOOD. There are LOTS of games that provide the gaming experience of ‘farming’ if it’s really what players want; go play those.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Leather farming

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I farm leather off the TP through buying armor and salvaging it. You would be surprised how cheap players are willing to accept for their unwanted leather goods.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Leather farming

OriOri.8724

What many of us are saying is that farming gold and buying off the TP is equally valid as farming leather directly. Really, it’s ok. That’s how it’s meant to work.

In more detail, leather and cloth goes to everyone, even people who are not looking for it. If you are not looking for it, you sell to those who are. That is how an economy works.

Now, let’s look at buying legendaries. If I farm gold and buy one off theTP, did I earn it? Technically, yes, but I didn’t craft it, which is what people mean — so it’s not the same. People don’t mean earning leather by farming it directly. There’s no respect you get for not buying leather off the TP. So, buying leather off the TP is not equivalent to buying legendaries off the TP. (If you want to buy a legendary off the TP, go ahead, but I don’t find it much fun.)

You guys are all confused and focusing on choice words out of context. When I say earn your leather I didn’t mean did you work for it. The people who farm gold certainly did work for that gold. But they were never farming leather itself. By forcing players to farm gold and then buy leather off the TP, Anet has removed any ability to truly farm leather in this game.

You can go on and on all day about how easy it is to acquire large amounts of leather on the TP. That’s fine, I’m not gonna argue with you. But that doesn’t change the fact that there is no way in this game to farm leather. The best you can do is farm gold and buy leather. And that is not the same thing.

Leather farming

Obtena.7952

You guys are all confused and focusing on choice words out of context. When I say earn your leather I didn’t mean did you work for it. The people who farm gold certainly did work for that gold. But they were never farming leather itself. By forcing players to farm gold and then buy leather off the TP, Anet has removed any ability to truly farm leather in this game.

Yes they have and I don’t think that’s not on purpose either. So what’s the problem here? There are plenty of games that allow players to farm mats … if that’s truly what appeals to players, they should play those games.

You are entirely correct … you can’t farm leather in the traditional sense. In fact, you can’t really farm much of anything in this game. There are good reasons for that, primarily that killing a specific mob for hours for specific rewards is a tired, shallow and lazy way to present content to gamers.

It’s obviously the intention of Anet to prevent that kind of gaming behaviour, so complaining about it is obtuse.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Leather farming

Posted by: Dragon.8762

Dragon.8762

You know, you could just get a bunch of bags and chests from events, save them, then store them in your bank. Give them to a lvl 50 or below character and the lower tier mats that cost so much will appear alot more often.

You could also do the CM dungeon over and over again.

Leather farming

OriOri.8724

Yes they have and I don’t think that’s not on purpose either. So what’s the problem here? There are plenty of games that allow players to farm mats … if that’s truly what appeals to players, they should play those games.

You are entirely correct … you can’t farm leather in the traditional sense. In fact, you can’t really farm much of anything in this game. There are good reasons for that, primarily that killing a specific mob for hours for specific rewards is a tired, shallow and lazy way to present content to gamers.

It’s obviously the intention of Anet to prevent that kind of gaming behaviour, so complaining about it is obtuse.

You can farm metal ores and wood quite easily in this game, and plants to a lesser degree. GW2 has farmable materials. But I never once complained, I was pointing out a fact that people often overlook. Farming gold != farming leather.

Leather farming

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’ve never pretended that farming gold equates for farming leather. But I ask that others stop pretending that there’s a (pardon the pun) material difference that means buying it off the TP is not “earning it yourself”.

It’s a difference in personal experience, but doesn’t affect the final outcome. It’s similar to the idea that fish you catch tastes better than fish you buy (unless you hate fish, in which case try tomatoes you grow yourself versus acquiring from the farmer’s market).

My point is that there’s nothing that requires the game to make all mats similar in terms of sinks or sources — as long as they are easily acquired within the game, it makes no practical difference requiring urgent attention by ANet.

Is it worth ANet taking a look at leather acquisition? Sure — some people really do have more ‘fun’ sourcing all their own materials, while others (including myself) are looking for the least effort, which is via the TP for just about anything that doesn’t just drop into our laps.

tl;dr There’s no urgent economic necessity for ANet to change the current system of leather (and cloth) acquisition. There might be a gaming-style reason for ANet to revisit this (and I would hope that they look at the economy holistically and not at just this one single material type).

Leather farming

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

It makes me wonder if I should buy a few stacks of gossamer to bank away in case things change to make it go up. I honestly wish I had done that with t6 leather. If I had bought 20 stacks back then….. I’d have well over 3k gold if I sold today.

Leather farming

Posted by: Meehael.8240

Meehael.8240

?

One of the methods of getting the leather is through salvaging. However, T6 materials are rare salvages depending on the salvage kit used. If players want more frequent T6 mats in the long run, then they need to use better kits such as masters or mystic which give a 25% an increased chance.

If I’m not mistaken, a T6 leather isn’t a rare material, but a common material, so type of the salvage tool used doesn’t matter.

Intel i7-3770, MSI GTX1070 8GB, Asus P8H61 Pro, 16GB DDR3 @1600 MHz,
Corsair CX500 PSU, Kingston V300 60GB SSD

Leather farming

Ayrilana.1396

?

If I’m not mistaken, a T6 leather isn’t a rare material, but a common material, so type of the salvage tool used doesn’t matter.

This was resolved in subsequent posts. It does impact your chance at getting T6 but not at a rate high enough to bother with. Also, read the full description of salvage kits. It’s “rareR” and not “rare”.

Leather farming

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

It does have farming… But instead of killing the same type of mob over and over and over, its more profitable to join up with a group/zerg/blob and go do meta events, or if in Orr – Temple events. There are quite a few guilds who are doing organized runs on these meta events, so be on the lookout for organized guilds, join, and then follow their schedule.

This is what i had to do, to make the return on time, worthwhile (and more fun).

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Leather farming

Obtena.7952

You can farm metal ores and wood quite easily in this game, and plants to a lesser degree. GW2 has farmable materials. But I never once complained, I was pointing out a fact that people often overlook. Farming gold != farming leather.

No, that’s not farming in the traditional sense you find in MMO’s from yesteryear … you aren’t killing specific mobs to get specific mats in that case; it’s just there for you to literally pick up off the ground. In fact, I think that’s a bad move that Anet has done, but an altogether different discussion.

What I find funny (or ridiculous more accurately) is the contrast that people want to ‘work’ directly to obtain leather by farming it, then associate that with literally picking up mats off the ground like we do for metal or lumber … like WHAT? Let’s call THAT for what it is … people just want more leather easier. I mean … picking something off the ground is NOT working for it, so please recognize that differentiation if we are going to discuss ‘farming’.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Leather farming

ekarat.1085

You can go on and on all day about how easy it is to acquire large amounts of leather on the TP. That’s fine, I’m not gonna argue with you. But that doesn’t change the fact that there is no way in this game to farm leather. The best you can do is farm gold and buy leather. And that is not the same thing.

We have a point that we are trying to make — the insufficient ability to farm leather(*) is only a problem for a very small number of people who think farming something directly is inherently better than farming gold and then buying it off the TP from other people who got leather they don’t need.

Most of the rest of us don’t think that’s any better. What you consider a flaw, we consider a healthy economy. We can play how we want, collect resources that have value to someone else and buy the resources we need instead.

Yes, you can play how you like, but that doesn’t make it a flaw in the game.

(*) There is a leather node you can buy for the home instance, but it’s not a substantial amount of leather.

Leather farming

OriOri.8724

We have a point that we are trying to make — the insufficient ability to farm leather(*) is only a problem for a very small number of people who think farming something directly is inherently better than farming gold and then buying it off the TP from other people who got leather they don’t need.

Most of the rest of us don’t think that’s any better. What you consider a flaw, we consider a healthy economy. We can play how we want, collect resources that have value to someone else and buy the resources we need instead.

(*) There is a leather node you can buy for the home instance, but it’s not a substantial amount of leather.

You are still confused. I never said anything about farming leather was better than buying it off the trading post. But the point still stands that ANet has not introduced a way to directly farm leather in this game. The best you can do is farm gold and buy leather. It is not the same thing. Farming a material yields that material directly. You have no way to farm leather in this game. Period. Arguing doesn’t change that fact.

Leather farming

ekarat.1085

You are still confused. I never said anything about farming leather was better than buying it off the trading post. But the point still stands that ANet has not introduced a way to directly farm leather in this game. The best you can do is farm gold and buy leather. It is not the same thing. Farming a material yields that material directly. You have no way to farm leather in this game. Period. Arguing doesn’t change that fact.

Yes, you did say it. I even quoted you saying it.

You can’t farm leather (except for the one leather node), but you can farm gold, which is just as good (or even better). Therefore, there is no reason to be able to farm leather, so there is no problem here.

As for your original post, being able to farm leather will not necessarily change TP prices. Case in point — wood (which is farmable) had prices skyrocket when the legendary staff was released.

I repeat — there is no advantage to being able to farm leather — except for people who think it is inherently morally superior to farming gold and buying off the TP.

Leather farming

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

I don’t need leather at the moment for anything I’m doing / making.
I don’t need ecto for the same reasons.
Or mystic coins or whatever.
These threads always come about when some guy says “I need this. I need it now. It’s hard to get. And pricey on the TP. I feel I must make a post”
Bit of a trope it seems.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Leather farming

Justine.6351

These threads always come about when some guy says “I need this. I need it now. It’s hard to get. And pricey on the TP. I feel I must make a post”
Bit of a trope it seems.

Yeah pretty much.
A charged quartz thread pops up once in a while too.
“It will take me 30days, >5min/day to make top tier armor! ????”

Leather farming

Posted by: James Rustler.7860

James Rustler.7860

Bit of a trope it seems.

Yeah pretty much.

The way so many of you jump to these conclusions is pretty childish. Honestly, I didn’t even need leather, and I have more than enough gold to buy it when I do. I just noticed that the T6 stuff is wildly more expensive than the other T6 mats, which suggests a serious disparity between supply and demand.

Telling people to farm gold and buy it does nothing to solve this—it doesn’t add to the supply or reduce the demand. That’s the point I was trying to make: it’s imbalanced, and something needs to change to restore that balance.

I’d suggest just increasing the drop rates a bit, or reducing the leather required by the gossamer patch recipe. Both trivially easy to implement. Both would help stabilize the market.

Leather farming

Justine.6351

Bit of a trope it seems.

Yeah pretty much.

The way so many of you jump to these conclusions is pretty childish. Honestly, I didn’t even need leather, and I have more than enough gold to buy it when I do. I just noticed that the T6 stuff is wildly more expensive than the other T6 mats, which suggests a serious disparity between supply and demand.

Telling people to farm gold and buy it does nothing to solve this—it doesn’t add to the supply or reduce the demand. That’s the point I was trying to make: it’s imbalanced, and something needs to change to restore that balance.

I’d suggest just increasing the drop rates a bit, or reducing the leather required by the gossamer patch recipe. Both trivially easy to implement. Both would help stabilize the market.

Yeah or just go farm it. Or don’t farm it and still get piles of it just playing/salvaging everything. Trying to “balance” the trading post is lol worthy.