Legal / ethical issues for Swimwear?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

Are there any legal, ethical or other issues preventing the addition of swimwear in Guild Wars 2?

Given that characters both male and female can already be stripped to their underwear and/or chest covering, logically, I can not comprise an idea why there would be. However, if anyone has any information please offer.

(edited by Pure Heart.1456)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Considering my male Sylvari was stripped by the game and was nearly naked on the Southsun beach, I would assume not. A couple of leaves strategically placed, front and back, was all he had

Posted by: vluhd.7562

vluhd.7562

w..what?
I would guess the only reason we can’t get swimwear as town clothes is because Anet hasn’t made any..

IGN: Toxicodendron Vox
Dragonriders [DR]

Pure Heart.1456

Well then it just blows my mind that Anet releases beach/holiday themed content and then does not provide any swim wear in the gem shop.

And what about beach balls, umbrellas, beach BBQs, body boards to paddle on?

1) There’s one guy/girl creating content and so there isn’t enough time.
And/Or
2) There’s something wrong with the decision making process.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Well then it just blows my mind that Anet releases beach/holiday themed content and then does not provide any swim wear in the gem shop.

Either;
And/Or

I don’t see how your two options are mutually exclusive.

Pure Heart.1456

Either;
And/Or

Fixed.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Either;
And/Or

Fixed.

LMAO! And people say I’m a fan boy. lol

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Most festivals I go to in Belgium or Holland have at least a few naked people walking around. But sure feel free to debate whether or not there’s any legal or ethical issues involved. It’s in your head.

tl’dr: People can be functionally naked and swimwear is one of them. Grow up if you can’t handle that.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Henge.3907

Henge.3907

Hmm thought I read somewhere about swimwear on the 28th? Also, I don’t see this as the last time we will be going to SS for a living story.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

My Asura seems to come with a swimsuit already..lol. We have no idea what the next release from the gem shop will be, summer in the Northern Hemisphere has barely started.

On a side note, these forums can drive you crazy….No more fluff! Give us more fluff!
Lol.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Looks like swimwear is coming on the 28th or maybe sometime in June

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1euooo/upcoming_gemstore_items_may_edition/

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

Why would they need swimwear when they can swim perfectly well in armor.

Pure Heart.1456

Why would they need swimwear when they can swim perfectly well in armor.

FateOmega, don’t be such a wet blanket! lol

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I wonder if one bought swimwear and wore it, if it would be stripped when visiting that certain beach in SouthSun Cove. Lol.

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

I realize that everyone has different ideas of what would be cool and such, but for me swimwear in GW2 is a waste of time.

The amount of effort to put swimwear in the game far exceeds it’s practical use. Sure, there are a few people who will buy the outfits and stand on the beach for a laugh, but in reality these “gimmicks” have a short life.

I am also personally against the idea of modern swimwear in the game. Whenever I go to Southsun Cove, and see tourists wearing modern style swim suits, it breaks immersion. It has been said a few times that IF swimwear was to be added, it should be old timey style.

Search for 1900’s – 1920’s swimwear in Google for an idea of what I mean. I think it would better fit the look and feel of GW2.

In the end though, I would like to see them put more effort into proper town clothing, and leave the modern swimsuit to Second Life

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I am also personally against the idea of modern swimwear in the game. Whenever I go to Southsun Cove, and see tourists wearing modern style swim suits, it breaks immersion. It has been said a few times that IF swimwear was to be added, it should be old timey style.

Search for 1900’s – 1920’s swimwear in Google for an idea of what I mean. I think it would better fit the look and feel of GW2.

In the end though, I would like to see them put more effort into proper town clothing, and leave the modern swimsuit to Second Life

This ^

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

I realize that everyone has different ideas of what would be cool and such, but for me swimwear in GW2 is a waste of time.

The amount of effort to put swimwear in the game far exceeds it’s practical use. Sure, there are a few people who will buy the outfits and stand on the beach for a laugh, but in reality these “gimmicks” have a short life.

The bikini is “old-timey”. There are mosaics of Roman women wearing bikinis dating back to the the 4th century, and I vaguely remember something about evidence coming from Catal Huyuk in Turkey, which dates to more than 6000 years BCE. You don’t get much more “old-timey” than an 8000 year-old fashion.

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

The bikini is “old-timey”. There are mosaics of Roman women wearing bikinis dating back to the the 4th century, and I vaguely remember something about evidence coming from Catal Huyuk in Turkey, which dates to more than 6000 years BCE. You don’t get much more “old-timey” than an 8000 year-old fashion.

They’re also shown wearing bangles and flip flops, for that nice old-timey feel.

No, wait.

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

They’re also shown wearing bangles and flip flops, for that nice old-timey feel.

No, wait.

One of the Roman women is depicted wearing anklets and an armband…

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

To be clear, I wasn’t insinuating that the older the style the better. I was saying that the 1920’s style fits much nicer into the game than more modern styles (or the styles that inspired them).

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

And/Or

3) Swimsuits were not finished in time to be released along with the new story and they didn’t want to postpone the new content that was ready.

That’s life, stuff happens.

marnick.4305

The 1400’s – 1500’s swimwear are the proper look for the era, however that would make southsun a naturist island. However some people can’t accept complete nudity in videogames, therefor swimwear has to be catered to the most narrow-minded …

Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: pixieish.9627

pixieish.9627

In a game of airships, dragons, teleporters, holograms, and talking trees, I for one am shocked that they’d have a bikini in this game! There has to be some sort of consistency, you know.

Reiseiji, Guardian, Fabulous Spec
Kaschen, Engi, Nerfed Spec
Devona’s Refugee, recently arrived to F.Aspenwood

Pure Heart.1456

It’s mid summer, and still no sign of any swim wear.

Anet, may we have an official comment?

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Kinda starting to look like the official comment is people in Tyria swim in their underwear.

Posted by: Stego.3148

Stego.3148

On a side note, these forums can drive you crazy….No more fluff! Give us more fluff!
Lol.

I think you will find for large portion of MMO players, swimwear as well as panties transcend fluff and both are actually the apex for a lot of people’s online gaming.

Discovered the one and only ecto nerf to date. Endured verbal abuse and infractions to prove it:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Changes-to-ecto-salvage-from-rares/first

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

After seeing how many players try to blend their armor colors with their underwear so they don’t have to wear pants (females), I can already tell why everyone wants swimwear

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

My main is still waiting for his speedo.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

My main is still waiting for his speedo.

my warrior too!
i want speedo briefs!

Posted by: Venthus.6137

Venthus.6137

Yet another reason Asura are superior to the common bookah. We expect to go swimming at a moment’s notice, and are thus constantly equipped with our swimwear!

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Need swimshorts, goggles, shoulder towel, sandals and a shell necklace that can be skinned over pants, helm, shoulders, boots and torso armor.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Kinda starting to look like the official comment is people in Tyria swim in their underwear.

Completely and utterly false, they wear their swimwear under their armor.

Posted by: yanchoy.9176

yanchoy.9176

And/Or

I think what you want to play is Sims .-.

/Snow white and the 7 dwarfs and their wives

Pure Heart.1456

And/Or

I think what you want to play is Sims .-.

The developers created a “Style” section on the gem store for a reason. Admittedly, a lot of it is garbage imho, but if it’s there, why not fill it with some no-brainer interesting stuff? I just don’t understand the decisions being made there. Hence, I thought there might be some legal issues involved.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

No, I would say it simply have to do with the fact that it would be silly for people to run around in town half-naked, which would be the case if they had access to town-cloth swimming gear.

We already have swim-suites technically anyway. Just use one of the Diving Goggles around the world and you will get into your swimming gear.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

5 minutes in LA should be telling you that the “immersion” ship sailed long ago, and won’t be coming back.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

This is one of those issues where a.net has to cater to american puritans. Most festivals I go to in Belgium or Holland have at least a few naked people walking around. But sure feel free to debate whether or not there’s any legal or ethical issues involved. It’s in your head.

tl’dr: People can be functionally naked and swimwear is one of them. Grow up if you can’t handle that.

That’s what i love about those countries. And becomes so natural, that people don’t stare anymore. But i still wonder if nudity was allowed in this game, if the genitalia were substituted by kittens also as a form of censorship.

Swimsuits aren’t imho problematic, although some country/religions have some issues with female showing their bodies.

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

marnick.4305

This is one of those issues where a.net has to cater to american puritans. Most festivals I go to in Belgium or Holland have at least a few naked people walking around. But sure feel free to debate whether or not there’s any legal or ethical issues involved. It’s in your head.

That’s what i love about those countries. And becomes so natural, that people don’t stare anymore. But i still wonder if nudity was allowed in this game, if the genitalia were substituted by kittens also as a form of censorship.

Even if you don’t have any anymore, like women with mastectomies, those brave people are censored on websites like facebook because a minority can’t stand powerful women. Should the internet, beacon of freedom and liberties, really cater to that kind of sentiment?

Swimsuits aren’t imho problematic, although some country/religions have some issues with female showing their bodies.

I have a problem with some country/religions shoving their insecurities down my throat, especially on the internet which is international by default.

As a man, I’ve seen thousands of naked women already. It’s no issue if you don’t make it one.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

In a game of airships, dragons, teleporters, holograms, and talking trees, I for one am shocked that they’d have a bikini in this game! There has to be some sort of consistency, you know.

A holographic, talking swimwear on the other hand, would fit very well with the rest of the stuff.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

Even if you don’t have any anymore, like women with mastectomies, those brave people are censored on websites like facebook because a minority can’t stand powerful women. Should the internet, beacon of freedom and liberties, really cater to that kind of sentiment?

Well that would be a never ending discussion. Moral awareness is gained also trough social and cultural imposing. What should be morally unacceptable to ones may not be to others. So there is no actual answer to that question.

I have a problem with some country/religions shoving their insecurities down my throat, especially on the internet which is international by default. As a man, I’ve seen thousands of naked women already. It’s no issue if you don’t make it one.

I share your view, but we don’t have the right to judge those who don’t.

This swimsuit with a yellow duck floater on it… i would buy it for my charr! xD

Attachments:

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

(edited by LHound.8964)

Posted by: Acidicore.3264

Acidicore.3264

My female asura is already wearing a bathing suit. Give it a little frill around the waist and she’s good to go, or a pool toy will work too.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I don’t particularly care if they ever add swimsuits as such- since we have no options to really do beach type stuff
I would love a bikini type top and a sarong skirt- heck even a shell necklace and a sunhat- you can add a pineapple drink toy to that outfit…. but we have no beach stuff to use it for.
With the likes of masquerade armor, feathered set etc I can’t see it being a problem at all from a legal viewpoint.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I hope not, since this is not 1950. That and, people run around in their underwear already so it’s not like we see anything special.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

w..what?
I would guess the only reason we can’t get swimwear as town clothes is because Anet hasn’t made any..

Attachments:

marnick.4305

Well that would be a never ending discussion. Moral awareness is gained also trough social and cultural imposing. What should be morally unacceptable to ones may not be to others. So there is no actual answer to that question.

Sure, I tentatively agree to that. But should the majority submit to a minority because they can’t stand certain imagery? Where does that end … can we allow our freedoms to be curtailed because some can’t stand others being strong and/or happy? Morality can only exists when each person can make his own choice.

This swimsuit with a yellow duck floater on it… i would buy it for my charr! xD

Absolutely!

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

Does anet not want money? It really boggles my mind how they haven’t released this. With summer winding down there isn’t much time left.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Does anet not want money? It really boggles my mind how they haven’t released this. With summer winding down there isn’t much time left.

Weather always seems the same in the game world. I don’t think Anet should always have their content match the seasons.

Posted by: Laurelinde.4395

Laurelinde.4395

I can’t imagine it’s a prudery issue given some of the armours floating around (and the fact you can run around in undies if you want.) I guess our underwear functions as swimwear as well since that’s what you get when you put on the diving goggles.

Laurelinde & Cookie/Beorna Bearheart
[TWG] – Gunnar’s Hold
Always remember Wheaton’s Law

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I very much hope for some new swimwear, or at least make it dyable, come on I look terrible when diving T_T

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

Looks like swimwear is coming on the 28th or maybe sometime in June

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1euooo/upcoming_gemstore_items_may_edition/

This was incorrect

I really hope we get some swimwear before the summer is completely gone.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)