Legendary Armor: Feedback [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kyvrn.4209

Kyvrn.4209

I am extremely happy with all of the legendary armors and cant wait to see them in game. Imo they nailed it. Sad to see how many dislike them tho.

Are you going to get them?

Kyvrn | Dom Chrono | Leader of Twinrovas [ROVA]

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Somethings look much better in concept art than in 3D art. I guess knowing what would translate well and what won’t is a skill on to itself.

Some of it might be engine limitations as well like the weird looking cloth animation on the various dresses, skirts and buttcapes.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Seems kind of a boring looking armor, then again, that’s just my opinion.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Pick a skin, any skin. 10% of people hate it, 10% love it (if not more of each). There’s literally no way to please everyone, some people are never pleased. All each of us can do is describe our own preferences.

Like other veterans, I have 1000s of skins unlocked and I really only like a tiny handful. ANet’s design team has a different aesthetic than I. They love skulls and spikes and nekkid armor, and all sorts of other things I dislike.

But that’s doesn’t mean the skins they do release are ‘bad’ — some of the designs are tremendous; they just aren’t ones I’d be caught dead in.

I hear what you are saying and I totally agree.

Apparently you don’t, because the rest of your comments show otherwise.

However you missed the point.

I’m pretty sure I understood where you are coming from and I disagree, which might mean you missed my point.

I think I was pretty clear, but of course I make sense to my self.

Again, you were clear; I just don’t agree.

What I was saying is they spent a lot of time working on the BEST possible gear in the game that we can obtain, and they managed to make it look worse that I could have imagined.

Notice how you end your comment with “look worse” and “tha[n] I could have imagined” — looks are always subjective, your imagination is always subjective.

That is unacceptable by my standards.

I’m not sure what objective measurement we could use. Clearly, from the forums and reddit, some people like one set or another and clearly, many do not. But that’s not any different from, oh, any other skin that ANet has ever released.

If you are okay with that sort of development method than that’s you.

Again, how would we judge whether an armor set is “acceptable”?

This is The Guild Wars 2 Discussion Forums. Stating obvious things like “SUBJECTIVE LIKES AND DISLIKES” doesn’t add anything to the discussion. That is obvious.

Except apparently it’s not obvious as you continue to promote your viewpoint as if it’s objective. It’s not; it’s a viewpoint.

I wouldn’t have any problem with you saying that you personally are disappointed, that you think ANet needs to hire some artists with a different aesthetic, so that there’s a greater variety of designs out there. In fact, I’d +1 such a comment, because I agree that ANet seems to have a couple of go-to ideas. (e.g. there are a ton of BL Weapon Skin sets that are great, except for one thing that spoils it, in my opinion.)

I merely object to your stating that other people’s opinions don’t matter when determining whether these designs are suitable for legendary armor. Clearly, a lot of people at ANet think they are. Just as clearly, there are players that like them, too.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Gimli.9461

Gimli.9461

Hah but people never manage to disappoint. Here come the hoards of crying individuals making final judgement based on a static image about the armor the whole point of which is that it’s dynamic.

They said, if it wasn’t clear: the armor moves. That’s the whole point about what they were trying to achieve.

Thus I am reserving final judgement and impressions for when I see it in action, it should have the wow factor every time I enter combat, and I’m quite certain I won’t be disappointed.

The images look promising considering the above.

I’m thinking Anet did a smart thing posting just one durpy image, so the general expectation point doesn’t go into overdrive.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Somethings look much better in concept art than in 3D art. I guess knowing what would translate well and what won’t is a skill on to itself.

Some of it might be engine limitations as well like the weird looking cloth animation on the various dresses, skirts and buttcapes.

There’s some wonderful GW2 armor concept art floating on the internet that look terrible in-game. Especially male scholar armor.

Posted by: Fenryr.1427

Fenryr.1427

My issue with the armor thats came out in the past 3 years is that it looks like armor from an older garbage asian mmo from 2006. It fits none of the themes or aesthetics in the game, it fits none of the races or even the mysts theme. It isnt artfully done, it looks cheap and overly tight to the model and stupidly spikey, and that’s just the HEAVY ARMOR.

the art team needs to reconnect with the gw2 world and themes and stop making lineage 2 trash for gw2.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I truly tought the medium armor was going to receive the shorter stick in the legendary set.
Amusingly I don’t found it so hideous as I imagined it would be (Light one gets the honor of being the most incredibly ugly one right now). Also, I must say the mere fact that medium boots have toes for asura fills me with a sad joy. We have so few toe-able boots…

I think mix and match will be the great savior for these things. Gloves and boots seems quite decent, maybe some pants are useable too. We’ll see.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I don’t like the look of these at all. They look terrible but at least it looks like they’ve accounted for charr tails and asuran toes.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Not all skins will appeal to everyone.

Well that’s obvious.

To be fair, so was your title. Of course legendary armor was going to disappoint some people.

Not some, majority.

… and that’s STILL not an unreasonable expectation. I don’t like them but then again … I realize how much time I would waste getting them if I DID like them, so that’s a win for me. I got lots of other things to do. I think the reasonable player that dislikes these is actually pretty relieved.

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

It doesn’t matter one bit that Legendary armors are not out yet. If only one pic shows a trench coat then it also makes the statement that Anet has shown no flexibility in styles ever since 2012. They also have been dead silent on the subject ever since, show me one thread on the subject with an Anet reply worth reading, I dare you. You can be a total and faithful fan if you like it’s your right but doing so doesn’t help.

Nothing will change the fact that generally speaking light armor = skirt pants combo
and medium armor = trench coats it’s been this way for close to 5 years and showing no signs of change.

If I were allowed to ask Anet 1 question without fans getting in the way, it would be this. Why was skimpy armor doable and ethically moral for GW 1 and suddenly not doable and unethical in GW 2?

I would be astonished if Anet replied to this question.

O.k maybe a second question, Anet can I get a skimpy light armor with spike to go?
To finish my post with sarcasm here goes, at least it’s a new fashion skirt pants and trench coats are still here but now they have a twist, I mean spikes. Now you can look like a porcupine and kill your enemies and friends in battle by accident and without the use of a weapon. Aim your armor at your enemy and charge it’s that simple, why use magic?

(edited by Hybarf Tics.2048)

Posted by: Natto.5819

Natto.5819

On the bright side to all this, they did away with clipping!

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

I thought they needed more time to rework them based on the criticism they got from the first sets?

I mean, heavy looks fine (we saw them on humans already) and on charr it looks properly menacing. I’ll make a great transformer out of it.
However medium is just a fancy Arah armor, with trenchcoats and the same skulls we have on almost every bone armor. It is more or less the most boring one of the three.
btw. is that the battle mode? it does look very subdued.

The light armor is as weird as i thought it would be. So it is a leather style, bellydancer with dragons and crystals, as well as facemask? At least for females, which means males get the stuck up, boring version i believe. So far most fears came true here. To busy and weird. I mean what’s up with the floating crystals in front of my face? Way to much frontloaded. Do these crystals float around my upper body like a dome? I like the idea, but the execution somehow doesn’t jive with me… Aside from the gimmick this isn’t better as an outfit to be honest. It feels like they took medium armor and slapped it on a light armor with some crystals.

They look interesting and I need to see them in action (we need a proper video demonstration), but they kinda feel too normal. How about compairson-shots of normal vs. battle mode?

Don’t get me wrong, they don’t look soo bad, but as they are presented here, not legendary. We got better outfits and since I don’t buy these (and never intend to do so) it seems like i have to pick up raiding for my heavy.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

The blog and existence of legendary armor in this single exclusionary corner of the game put to rest the idea that raids do not consume significant developmental resources (especially those outside the small raid team).

I personally would have rather seen them put the effort into the legendary armor quests they scrapped just after HOT or into designing full sets of interesting armor for living story or other more popular/accessible areas of the game.

And they should work on rune and clipping related issues for everyone – not just the blessed few who raid.

(edited by Blaeys.3102)

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

I’ll take any of those (my characters’) sets over the upcoming Legendaries:

Attachments:

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

While some people like the look of the armor, this thread reminds me a lot of when the Ascended armor came out. A lot of people couldn’t stand it, and today few use it (the skins).
That’s the intent. Anet did as little as possible to make the appearance of the armor unique, added the features to make it Legendary, and will then go back to pushing outfits.
It’s a simple process really, and it worked really well for them with ascended gear:
1) promote new armor with new features that no other armor has
2) design it so that it’s unattractive to most
3) Sell more outfits on Gem Store
4) profit.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

My apologies, but it’s ugly. At least, that’s my opinion. And it seems that opinion is shared by more than a few people here and elsewhere.

Don’t get me started about trench coats again. . . .

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Sazukikrah.5036

Sazukikrah.5036

Just a quick suggestion for the Legendary armor. Agree with me on it or not you still read it up to this point. But instead of just putting the runes back into your inventory why not be able to store runes into the armor? and be able to swap between runes within the armor? Ofc if you just wanted to remove them you could just buy the item from gem store (Upgrade Extractor) and remove it that way. But i feel like its just unnecessary clicking added when you re-add to inventory.

Hadi the Edgemaster – Pro level Warrior (Youtube Hadi the Edgemaster)
Black Gate Tier 1 Roamer
Harbinger " I will make you (QQ)"

Posted by: guildwarrior.6304

guildwarrior.6304

I know…medium armor is never interesting looking, I was hoping legendary would be an exception…sigh.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

They likely thought of that and decided that it wasn’t feasible or at least for the time being.

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

yeah they only had how many years to work on it?

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

While some people like the look of the armor, this thread reminds me a lot of when the Ascended armor came out. A lot of people couldn’t stand it, and today few use it (the skins).
That’s the intent. Anet did as little as possible to make the appearance of the armor unique, added the features to make it Legendary, and will then go back to pushing outfits.
It’s a simple process really, and it worked really well for them with ascended gear:
1) promote new armor with new features that no other armor has
2) design it so that it’s unattractive to most
3) Sell more outfits on Gem Store
4) profit.

This is one thing that I’ve never liked about this game – they intentionally made so many low quality and badly textured skins at launch in order to sell us better ones.

It was at least tolerable when they released new armour sets regularly. These days….

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Well, this makes rune swapping a possibility while not also adding extra storage.

Now where is changing sigils on legendary weapons however.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

The blog and existence of legendary armor in this single exclusionary corner of the game put to rest the idea that raids do not consume significant developmental resources (especially those outside the small raid team).

I personally would have rather seen them put the effort into the legendary armor quests they scrapped just after HOT or into designing full sets of interesting armor for living story or other more popular/accessible areas of the game.

And they should work on rune and clipping related issues for everyone – not just the blessed few who raid.

stop pushing your anti raid agenda in every single raid thread.

Kyvrn.4209

Pick a skin, any skin. 10% of people hate it, 10% love it (if not more of each). There’s literally no way to please everyone, some people are never pleased. All each of us can do is describe our own preferences.

Like other veterans, I have 1000s of skins unlocked and I really only like a tiny handful. ANet’s design team has a different aesthetic than I. They love skulls and spikes and nekkid armor, and all sorts of other things I dislike.

But that’s doesn’t mean the skins they do release are ‘bad’ — some of the designs are tremendous; they just aren’t ones I’d be caught dead in.

I hear what you are saying and I totally agree.

Apparently you don’t, because the rest of your comments show otherwise.

However you missed the point.

I’m pretty sure I understood where you are coming from and I disagree, which might mean you missed my point.

I think I was pretty clear, but of course I make sense to my self.

Again, you were clear; I just don’t agree.

What I was saying is they spent a lot of time working on the BEST possible gear in the game that we can obtain, and they managed to make it look worse that I could have imagined.

Notice how you end your comment with “look worse” and “tha[n] I could have imagined” — looks are always subjective, your imagination is always subjective.

That is unacceptable by my standards.

I’m not sure what objective measurement we could use. Clearly, from the forums and reddit, some people like one set or another and clearly, many do not. But that’s not any different from, oh, any other skin that ANet has ever released.

If you are okay with that sort of development method than that’s you.

Again, how would we judge whether an armor set is “acceptable”?

This is The Guild Wars 2 Discussion Forums. Stating obvious things like “SUBJECTIVE LIKES AND DISLIKES” doesn’t add anything to the discussion. That is obvious.

Except apparently it’s not obvious as you continue to promote your viewpoint as if it’s objective. It’s not; it’s a viewpoint.

I wouldn’t have any problem with you saying that you personally are disappointed, that you think ANet needs to hire some artists with a different aesthetic, so that there’s a greater variety of designs out there. In fact, I’d +1 such a comment, because I agree that ANet seems to have a couple of go-to ideas. (e.g. there are a ton of BL Weapon Skin sets that are great, except for one thing that spoils it, in my opinion.)

I merely object to your stating that other people’s opinions don’t matter when determining whether these designs are suitable for legendary armor. Clearly, a lot of people at ANet think they are. Just as clearly, there are players that like them, too.

I would address all your “points”… but honestly it’s a waste of time. As you still misunderstood everything I said. Of course you would claim to understand though.

If you don’t understand by now I’m not gonna bother trying to explain it.

Kyvrn.4209

Just a quick suggestion for the Legendary armor. Agree with me on it or not you still read it up to this point. But instead of just putting the runes back into your inventory why not be able to store runes into the armor? and be able to swap between runes within the armor? Ofc if you just wanted to remove them you could just buy the item from gem store (Upgrade Extractor) and remove it that way. But i feel like its just unnecessary clicking added when you re-add to inventory.

They want you to buy Bag and Bank Space though. :/

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

idk i will take something less convinient which no chance to eat or destroy my runes rather than something that is harder to implement therefor more chances of bugs to occur.

Posted by: Mr Godlike.6098

Mr Godlike.6098

Wow…feeling so great that hardcore pvp players never will have this armor…and wvw…and rest of gw…

…because attracting WoW players was more important…so much much important that it was worth it to devalue all existing gw 2 content.

I won’t buy new expansion if another legendary armor set will be exclusive to new raid or something. I won’t pay for content without any replay viability like new maps and story cause real rewards are exclusive to raids.

Don’t get me wrong…let raids players have their own unique legendary armor set…rest of playerbase should have chance to get their own unique sets.

Back to the main topic…light armor looks just horrible…i can’t imagine it on my main asura…maybe dyes that where used on armor where badly matched. It to much reminds me of human light tier 3 armor…

Was depressed ele…now depressed druid
Kawaleria (KW)

Posted by: Del.4309

Del.4309

This is to get an idea to see which set people like best (if any).
Keep it simple and clear:

Heavy:
Medium:
Light:

Example:

Heavy: Not bad
Medium: Boring
Light: Nice

(edited by Del.4309)

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

I’m waiting till I see the animations before I judge

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Posted by: MidoriMarch.8067

MidoriMarch.8067

Heavy : Not the greatest, but best out of all 3 armor types.

Light : Ugly but better than Medium.

Medium : Horrible, makes me wana quit medium class.

The one to Rule.2593

all 3 underwealming but heavy/light look decent enough, i just hope the effects/aura make it worth it

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

Heavy: ugly
Medium: ugly
Light: ugly

this is my opinion from the pictures on the blog post, and the preview vid of the heavy which I already thought was ugly with that.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Heavy: generic (meh)
Medium: very boring
Light: only decent on human females, ugly on the rest

Today I learned there was a school uniform once upon a time. It looks 10x better in my opinion…

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

A poll really needs to be based on both the static and the animation.

But based on static
Heavy: not bad
Light: strange looking, but parts could be used as mix and match
Medium: copy paste of every other medium armor in the game.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Enokitake.1742

Enokitake.1742

Heavy: Best. (show me female human)
Light: …meh (But Ok)
Medium: Trenchcoat >.> (seriously? do you listen at all?)

Subject to change based on animation/aura/effects. Except medium.

Posted by: MokahTGS.7850

MokahTGS.7850

Yeah…this is premature…also pointless as this release is the culmination of two years of paid developer time. They will be released no matter the overall opinion.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I must admit, I’m rather surprised they locked this behind raids. Kind of figured it be another legendary crafting journey or something. Hopefully, for those that want it without raiding, there will eventually be another method to gain these armors.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Del.4309

Del.4309

Yeah…pointless as this release is the culmination of two years of paid developer time. They will be released no matter the overall opinion.

Who knows, if the majority particularly dislike the same thing some tweaks can still be made (probably not, I agree) but yeah it’s nice to have an overall opinion.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

Segregation…i thought we were all beyond that now….go figure? All players are equal but some are more equal than others

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

(edited by Vlad Morbius.1759)

Posted by: Codes.6870

Codes.6870

They need to hire better people working on armor design. Give us unlimited wardrobe changes on them since they are going to be legendary.

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

Light: Can I import from GW 1?
Medium: Can we start a protest by burning our armors in public?
Heavy: Now my armor can kill without the need of a weapon, how cool is that?

Ashantara.8731

That theory is erroneous since the Legendary Armor will provide unique pompous effects that won’t be visible unless you use the skin.

Agreed. I want some decent, classic fantasy GW armor sets too, not this modern, sci-fi looking stuff.

Almost all my chars use mixed sets simply because Anet has not created one decent set except for some heritage sets.

(edited by Ashantara.8731)

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

Keep going down this path…a slope is a slope. All i know is any design that gives an advantage, a distinct advantage to one game play is wrong. It makes no more sense then building gear based on race, religion, creed or sex…instead we call it WvW, PvP, PvE and Raiding, i thought gaming was beyond this nonsense.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: Katastroff.1045

Katastroff.1045

Heavy armor: looks nice
Light armor: butt cape.
Medium armor: freaking trench coat..again ? seriously ??

Why simplify things when its so easy to complicate them ?

Ashantara.8731

Heavy: overdone, pompous (in a tasteless way)
Medium: boring, ugly (too “sci-fi”), doesn’t fit neither of the medium professions
Light: wannabe sexy, kitschy, boring (enough with the skinny female armor sets already)

Posted by: ima kong fu ninja.3052

ima kong fu ninja.3052

Has ANet even shown the light/Medium armors yet? If so, link please?

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/legendary-armor-is-coming-soon/

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

The one to Rule.2593

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/legendary-armor-is-coming-soon/

Posted by: ima kong fu ninja.3052

ima kong fu ninja.3052

welp… thats disappointing Thanks for linking