Legendary Armor: Yes or No?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ICEing.9237

ICEing.9237

I heard some rumors about this, and I hope it isn’t true. I feel like ascended should be the final tier in armor grind. Although I feel ascended armor should have more of a significant stat increase than Exotic. New Legendary weapons, fine. But armor should stay at the current tier level

Teknekality

[Dark Renegatus]

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Legendary armor would be awesome if it had stat changing…. current ascended quality though

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

Legendary armor would be awesome if it had stat changing…. current ascended quality though

Second that notion. Maybe even use ascended armor as a precursor? o.O

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It should have the same stats as ascended but allow stat changing and of course, a legendary looking skin.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

My only concern about legendary armor is “Special Effects Overload”. With a weapon you have between 1 and 2 equipped at any given time so the cool visuals are able to be seen. With 6 pieces of armor, it is possible that you’ll basically be a laser light show clown.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Fenar.4025

Fenar.4025

It should also allow you to change your runes based on which ones you have already applied to the armor. Now that would be cool.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Echoing the others – awesome if same stat quality as ascended with stat changing abilities, rune unlocks would be great and I would like to add I’d like to see it built upon our current ascended, similar to the Spinal Blade backpieces.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Several talking points here.

1) Legendary is technically a superior Tier of gear. But the point of being against a new tier is because of the power creep it create. Legengary only bring cosmetic and quality of life advantage (stats swapping) over ascended gear. So i really don’t why there would be an argument against Legendary Armor because it a new tier.

2) Personnally, i don’t think that directly introducing Legendary Armor is a good thing. Legendary are pricy, but not that much. We see legendary on a regular basis now. I use to be exited and talk with my friend on Mumble each time we saw a legendary. Talked to the guys or just saying nice Sunrise or whatever to him. Now, even our newest players are used to see legendary at every corner of the game. But there is a good numbers of Legendary Weapons. Ya of course there is only 1 per weapon (except for GS), but still each profession have several choice of weapons meaning that not all profession have the same legendary. So even if Legendary weapons bring a problem now (since we see a lot of them, making them less than legendary), the problem would be worst with legendary Armor. They use 6 pieces to form a complete armor set, meaning that it cost anet roughly 5 or 6 times more money to create a set of armor compare to a weapons or a back item (that’s why back items and weapons are more often for free during even, while new armor are usually in the gem store). This mean, that if legendary armor would hit the game, it probably will be 1 set of armor per armor type (1 heavy, 1 medium and 1 light). It fine during the first months, but after a years, you will see a couple of Warrior that look exactly the same. I would prefer to have something like an Legendary Amulet that create a special aura or effect on my current armor so that you don’t eliminate mix-matching in everybody style and looks.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

I see back pieces at legendary level with swapping stats way before Armor …..
Built with Jeweler profession … so few back pieces choices so far

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Legendary armor wouldn’t unbalance anything. If stats were same level as current BiS (Ascended) but just stat swappable. It would be once and for all the final set of armor you would ever need. Ever. I would 100% support this, but it would need to make Ascended armor grind look like a joke comparatively. IMO it should require the time/money it would take to get at least 3 full sets of Ascended.

The weighing of the choice should come down to: do I want to spend X time and Y money to get Legendary, or spend like 75% of that to get 3 Ascended sets and just swap between. Most players will likely stick with two builds. DPS build and some kind of support build, then maybe a 3rd hybrid build for those that want to get ca-razay. If that’s the case go with Ascended multiple sets. If you foresee swapping stats and builds frequently, then spend the extra time and money on Legendary.

For the love of god it should not be sellable on the TP. That really needs to stop.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

The only problem I see is the look of said legendary armor. As mtpelion.4562 mentioned it would be “Special Effects Overload” which would cause some serious issues for lower spec pc/laptop users. And also after the release of ascended armor designs, I have very little faith of them making those pieces look amazing. Of course, that would be based on personal preference and such. And there’s always a piece or two that looks amazing compared to a full outfit. Maybe instead, make legendary armor look like ascended. No special effects, but the functionality itself. Hell, maybe make it so it’s not only stats swappable and rune select-able, but wight class changing. In the end, we will all transmute it to fit out desired look, since truthfully, it would suck to see a bunch of people standing in the exact same outfit next to one another.
Lilith will hate me for this, but “functionality over look”. I’m just afraid they’ll make it look way too fancier than it should look, thus making it look horrible (personal ex. heavy ascended). Maybe let us vote on it’s look?

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

No to Legendary Armor – they said that Ascended would be it.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

They also said exotics would be it once upon a time.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Adding some more grind? Sounds perfectly logical as progression in this game seems to be all about grinding.

I’d say yes, one more reason to not log in anymore. At least then I will not regret to spend my time with something utterly boring for the sake of doing something in a game.

On the other hand, I could become a legendary tailor, master of the needle, the hero of the yarn. That is the most heroic thing I could have ever done in a game ever.

“Take this you dragons, I stab you with my needles so that in a hundred years you will die from an infection.” See, I also use conditions in PvE, down with the zerker mantra.

The only thing legendary about legendary items is the grind. And the boredom that is the grind itself. How anyone would not love this is beyond me.

(edited by Kaiyanwan.8521)

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

Yes to legendary armor with ascended stats that can be swapped. Make it 10 times as hard to get legendary armor than it is to get ascended. To those complaining about grind, remember you can simply choose to NOT go for legendary items since they would have the same stats as ascended. Sounds like a win-win to me.

@ArenaNet
Make it happen.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Yes to legendary armor with ascended stats that can be swapped. Make it 10 times as hard to get legendary armor than it is to get ascended. To those complaining about grind, remember you can simply choose to NOT go for legendary items since they would have the same stats as ascended. Sounds like a win-win to me.

@ArenaNet
Make it happen.

How about you can mystic forge 2 ascended armors of the same type, Zojja’s Visage and WupWup Visage for example, and then you get back a Zojja’s Visage that can swap to Wupwup Visage when you are out of combat.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

legendary armor, unlockable runes, megalaurels!
>_>

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Kaiyanwan.8521

Make it 10 times as hard to get legendary armor than it is to get ascended.

The only thing that is hard in getting ascended items is to motivate yourself to do ridiculously easy tasks over and over and over again.

How would you make farming ressources ten times harder? If it means ten times more ressources, it would be just ten time grindier. Impressive! That sounds like a real achievement. You should also get titles like:

Legendary Lumberjack, Nemesis of the Ancient Wood Log
Legendary Miner, Destroyer of Ores
etc.

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

The only thing that is hard in getting ascended items is to motivate yourself to do ridiculously easy tasks over and over and over again.

How would you make farming ressources ten times harder? If it means ten times more ressources, it would be just ten time grindier. Impressive! That sounds like a real achievement. You should also get titles like:

etc.

What in your opinion constitutes as being legendary then? What in your opinion would make something legendary?

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

I’m against more gear grind.

I’d rather they added a mystic forge recipe) with some kind of quest to give you an item, that you combine with armour and 2 other items, the armour that comes out is the same you put in but with stat swapping.

That I’d support.
__
we don’t need more sparkly effects in game. >.>

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Considering how they botched Ascended, I’m gonna go with “No.”

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

This question is asked a lot. There was an ambiguous answer by Colin in another thread.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Is-legendary-armor-coming-out/first
His quote: “You won’t see legendary armor any time soon, you will see Ascended Armor in 2013 for sure though, yes.”

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Kaiyanwan.8521

etc.

What in your opinion constitutes as being legendary then? What in your opinion would make something legendary?

I don’t know, content that is challenging, entertaining and exciting. Content that is hard, and takes time to master. Content that make you feel like you make a difference. Mind blown.

Just kidding, mindlessly grinding is really the most legendary thing I can come up with.

Posted by: Gearbox.2748

Gearbox.2748

Would love to be able to upgrade my Asc gears to legendary for stats change options.
BUT: since the current legendary are ugly as hell I will assume legendary armor would be equally gaudy..
It must be able to handle skinning to better looking gear without loosing that stat change option.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Considering Legendary tier existed before Ascended did, I’m gonna say that is an invalid argument. It would only make sense to add Legendary armor. Stats would be the same as Ascended so it wouldn’t be a higher stat tier, just swappable stats like Legendary weapons, which existed since day 1.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: ExiledDiclonius.1653

ExiledDiclonius.1653

Legendary armor isn’t anything new as far as I remember. At least 1 year ago it was in game. However it is (or was) obtainable only in PvP. There is nothing exciting about it. When I last checked it by GW2DB links it didnt look any good and didnt had any effects. I’d say that it was one of worst armors in game.

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

They use 6 pieces to form a complete armor set, meaning that it cost anet roughly 5 or 6 times more money to create a set of armor compare to a weapons or a back item (that’s why back items and weapons are more often for free during even, while new armor are usually in the gem store). This mean, that if legendary armor would hit the game, it probably will be 1 set of armor per armor type (1 heavy, 1 medium and 1 light). It fine during the first months, but after a years, you will see a couple of Warrior that look exactly the same. I would prefer to have something like an Legendary Amulet that create a special aura or effect on my current armor so that you don’t eliminate mix-matching in everybody style and looks.

The problem with the cost of full armor sets is 5 races * 3 weights * 2 genders, although Humans and Sylvari have pretty much the same body type.
Weapons just scale and are exactly the same in comparison.

But I don’t think that would be a problem, if you look at ascended armor now, not many people “have” it, or do they? The truth is most people just applied a different skin to it, either pieces or entirely, the same is gonna happen with legendary armor, if people don’t like they’ll use another skin.

Now you may think something like:
Are you insane? That defeats the whole point.

Not really, back when Anet got rid of MF and thought it was a good idea to use that 1 time ability as a permanent ability to legendary weapons, they gave those weapons an entirely new reason to have them. Right now it doesn’t make any difference, but imagine a full set of gear that you could swap stats? Specially now with the retrait anywhere?
That’s enough of a reason to go for legendary armor/trinkets, the skins (of the weapons) are mostly silly anyway, right now I couldn’t care less for legendary weapons, but when the time comes and full sets of gear are available then I’ll most likely be interested.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Posted by: Dreamslayer.7659

Dreamslayer.7659

I think what everyone is overlooking is that even if you had stat-swappable armor, you’re going to be held back by having the same runes.

Runes have a very big impact on how your armor behaves and what builds it is optimized for. Sure it would be nice to dial in some toughness or healing power, but if you only have one set of Runes, you’re a bit hobbled – especially in light of just how much such armor is likely to cost to make.

Unless they introduce some other unforseen feature, I would much rather have 2-3 suits of Ascended armor with different stats and complimentary runes. My next set of armor will probably be PTV with Soldier runes (or is it Trooper now?)

I wouldn’t put those on DPS armor and I wouldn’t put DPS runes on tanky armor so there is no way I would go for Legendary Armor if it follows the same model as the weapons do currently.

Posted by: Swim.6830

Swim.6830

Yay, more reason for a big part of the player base to play the TP game in order to try and afford something… no thanks.

Introduce some armor skins in gemstore or like a stat adjuster in gemstore.

Zwim Elementalist
Consigliere
The Dragoon Brotherhood

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

Legendary Armor with stat changing and free reskinning (no transmutation charges)

Posted by: Ramiel.4931

Ramiel.4931

Yeah. Sure. Why not. Might as well fly the carrot even further away at this point.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I agree – Legendary Armor if implemented well could be a great success. What do i mean by that?

1.Build it off existing Ascended armor.
2.Give us decent skins – not like with Ascended.
3.Give us the option to turn off the flashy pew-pew effects that will most likely give us seizures.
4.Make the skins look good – I cannot stress this enough.
5.Make them have the same stats as ascended – we don’t need more power creep – i again cannot stress this enough. Changing stats is fine but it shouldn’t be numerically better.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

Second that notion. Maybe even use ascended armor as a precursor? o.O

woah, that’s a great idea, i second this ^+1

Are you Shpongled?

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I heard some rumors about this, and I hope it isn’t true. I feel like ascended should be the final tier in armor grind. Although I feel ascended armor should have more of a significant stat increase than Exotic. New Legendary weapons, fine. But armor should stay at the current tier level

Of course legendary armor is coming.

/thread

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Mac.3872

Mac.3872

I agree – Legendary Armor if implemented well could be a great success. What do i mean by that?

1.Build it off existing Ascended armor.
2.Give us decent skins – not like with Ascended.
3.Give us the option to turn off the flashy pew-pew effects that will most likely give us seizures.
4.Make the skins look good – I cannot stress this enough.
5.Make them have the same stats as ascended – we don’t need more power creep – i again cannot stress this enough. Changing stats is fine but it shouldn’t be numerically better.

I would love to see legendary armour implemented in this way.

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

That depends. Will it look as terrible as ascended armor? If yes, then no.

Posted by: artsed.9702

artsed.9702

My only problem with potential legendary armor is that, if it’s implemented similarly to legendary weapons, then it will likely require an insane crafting material grind that would drive up prices of everything at or above tier 4 level, and slow down the process of obtaining a legendary for those who choose to craft ascended armor (and vice versa).

A pie in the sky for the really dedicated players is something I have no compelling argument against, but I’d really rather the economy for legendary and ascended equipment be just a little more self-contained than it is now.

Posted by: nexblackheart.3471

nexblackheart.3471

I don’t believe there will be a legendary-tier armor. With no pre-cursors and the very late release of ascended armor, if it does happen, it won’t be for a long time. I think, for the most part, if you want any special looking armor, you’re going to need to buy it from the gem store.

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

Too much sparkly crap in game already. It get’s annoying when you see colorful footsteps everywhere when more than 3 people have the legendary weapons, cannot imagine how it will look with sparkly armor. Unless they can give us a way to turn off legendary particle effect nonsense.

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

The pauldrons will be big enough to land an airship on. And they’ll glow in all the colours of the rainbow.

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

DUDE! Legendary Armor needs:

1. Same stats as currently BIS items (for now Ascended, in the future the God tier, and so on). This technology is already in the game – see Legendary weapons.

2. Modifiable stats. Players can choose WHICH stats they want any time (if SOLDIER or Carrion and etc). This technology is ALSO already in the game – Legendary weapons.

3. NO SPECIAL SKINS. Instead, give it a common skin, BUT allow it to be changed to different skins without consuming Transmutation Charges. This means the Legendary armor could ALWAYS be changed to whatever skin a player wants, as many times as he wants, without consuming Transmutation Charges. The transmutation technology is already in the game, this is JUST a small change.

This way, ArenaNet doesn’t have to waste PRECIOUS time (which they could be using to make MORE Gem Store armors) by designing Legendary Armors. It would also prevent players from witnessing ULTRA-SPARKLY armor. And the player base would actually have a SANE way of using the wardrobe system, with a WAY to access unlimited free unlocks.

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

Many of the armour skins in this game are just boring.
The ascended armour pieces are breathtakingly uninspiring and lacking in any kind of ‘sparkle’.

If they do put in Legendary Armour, I sure hope it is far more excellent-looking than the ascended pieces.

Posted by: TenguWars.4960

TenguWars.4960

Yes with a massive gold sink please.

Posted by: Lord Ausar.3170

Lord Ausar.3170

A legendary backpiece would be nice. It would take away the issue of dealing with ascended armor, and it would be a nice place to have a flashy cosmetic affect. Could change it up further by altering the crafting process. Instead of RNG there could be a set challenge to complete for the precursor, and the crafting profession used could change the color.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Yes please. Legendary Armor should only give the stat-changing ability and have epic special effects. Shouldn’t have greater stats than ascended.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: Kenage Achalarus.4276

Kenage Achalarus.4276

all i ask is please NO PRECURSOR ARMOR COMPOUNDS but if its implemented the same way as a legendary weapon then wow 250 stacks of all T6 mats it would raise the market to more extreme heights. but all and all i wouldn’t mind it.

a Mesmer with a Greatsword [Confusion], your mind has been [Mind Wrack]

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

It would be awesome only if there were many different looks to choose from. I wouldn’t like it if there was only one version for the set for light armor, medium armor, or heavy armor. There should many versions of the set with each looking distinct from each other, not just reskins with different particle effects. And each version should have a different method for acquiring it.

And epic quest story line for each one would be wonderful.

And it should be about being a very skilled player, and not about being who can farm gold fastest to get it.

Posted by: Korimor.2406

Korimor.2406

I’d say I hope so.

Although I think I’d rather prefer legendary trinkets (visable someway) or backpeices something that would be easier to make look cool across the races and genders.

Maguuma – “The Legendary Guy”
Jedi – Revenant, Tylox – Thief, Roeina – Ele, Korimor – Warrior
youtube.com/user/KorimorSWG

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Legendary armor with stat change and free rune removal,finally can change build without it cost you 30g+

Posted by: Kiriwar.7382

Kiriwar.7382

lmao precursor armours

not touching that base

Like swords, sorcery and misfortune?
Read Wingless, a fantasy comic about a knight’s journey, here!