Legendary weapons

Legendary weapons

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

PLEASE! the amount of QQ in just this forum post alone is ridiculous and uncalled for! you all act as though anet is taking away your newborn child and not some useless weapons that have ZERO purpose! THINK ABOUT IT! legendary weapons give you NOTHING other than “oooh i can change the stats on my staff but thats it” when you could craft a few ascended staves (and put sigils on them) for far cheaper. all this outrage is completely pointless

It’s not about the stat changing, although that is a nice feature, it’s about the bling and the journey to get one. The precursor scavenger hunt finally got rid of the Mystic Toilet AND gave us content in the form of a scavenger hunt. Living story releases entertain us for a week or two at most, but saving up for a Legendary gives people a reason to login everyday and do something they have done a hundred times before. It was the ‘filler’ between LS episodes that can be worked on in many ways. Now, why bother grinding and saving your gold when there is nothing cool to spend it on?

Legendary weapons

Posted by: AysonCurrax.3254

AysonCurrax.3254

Obviously I go into this knowing that some players will be very upset. That’s why it’s such a tough decision.

Ankdarkwolf, Darkmikau, Ballads, Spira, Caerbannog, Cysgod, you each posted a variant of an accusation I’ve seen many times over the past few months on the forums, something along the lines of, “AN shipped half an expansion with HoT.” I take issue with that. We shipped a new region full of content, a new mastery system, gliding, guild halls, a new profession, nine new elite specializations for existing professions, and more. Then we shipped precursor journeys for existing legendaries, and said, “We’ve been working hard on new legendary weapons, the first handful of which will be introduced in Heart of Thorns, with more to come in subsequent updates.” While I fully get that you’re disappointed today, this is not about us shipping half an expansion pack.

Mo

This is extremely disconcerting. If you & Anet as a whole consider HoT a full expansion I’m afraid you’re out of touch with your players. This a red flag for GW2 future development & explains a lot about what has been happening.

They did put in a lot of work to create the expansion, but the amount of content that was released is not what was expected of ANet

As customer i dont care how much work they had put into it. What i want to see are results – contest worth of said 50$. HoT is expensive dlc at best or in other words boxed ls3 as i cant really call it expansion by any means.

Its too kitten small and yet they just canceled one of it major features.. just like that. At this point they can put whole company to work on “expansion” 2 but i doubt anyone will buy it after said HoT. I know i wont touch it with a stick for sure and so many others i know in game.

I already have a name for xpac2 tho.. Guild Wars 2; Heart of the White Knights

assuming that we might return to the Crystal Desert, how about;

Guild Wars 2 : Grit and Salt

Legendary weapons

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

PLEASE! the amount of QQ in just this forum post alone is ridiculous and uncalled for! you all act as though anet is taking away your newborn child and not some useless weapons that have ZERO purpose! THINK ABOUT IT! legendary weapons give you NOTHING other than “oooh i can change the stats on my staff but thats it” when you could craft a few ascended staves (and put sigils on them) for far cheaper. all this outrage is completely pointless

It’s not about the stat changing, although that is a nice feature, it’s about the bling and the journey to get one. The precursor scavenger hunt finally got rid of the Mystic Toilet AND gave us content in the form of a scavenger hunt. Living story releases entertain us for a week or two at most, but saving up for a Legendary gives people a reason to login everyday and do something they have done a hundred times before. It was the ‘filler’ between LS episodes that can be worked on in many ways. Now, why bother grinding and saving your gold when there is nothing cool to spend it on?

Legendary weapons give some people a reason to log in every day. I log in everyday to do stuff, by stuff what ever I feel like.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Spira.4578

Spira.4578

What many people (including ANET) seem to not get is that legendaries have a huge impact on the other aspects of the game. Canceling any further development will cause HoT maps to become emptier (why farm if not for the bling?), which will also cause a big change on the market. Suddenly most demanded mats used for crafting legendaries will get their price dropped as the demand will also drop. Meaning, the main profit won’t come from mats but from direct gold gain – meaning, it will cause a drop in all kind of farming – except fractals where you get A static amount of gold.

Players not farming new maps also means other players (that would for 1 reason or another still want to farm them) having difficulties running those maps.
That’s just the first few things that come on my mind.
Either way- by putting 6 devs from 1 team to the LS dev team, means getting the LS content earlier. So 1 hour of gameplay a few months earlier (if we’ll be lucky). At the same time, by canceling the whole team, means completelly canceling the creation of the ONE content, that made players play the game for several hours. That’s a bad trade..

Also, even if that wouldn’t be the case; Legendaries are not the only feature that got indefinitelly suspended. There are some guild (hall) features and masteries missing and a week or two ago the fractal leaderboard was also canceled.
And sure, probably noone bought the expansion for 1 feature only. However this doesn’t mean they are any less important than the features that made it to the expansion and that they were not at least a partial reason for players to buy the expansion.
Canceling their production to work on something else is wrong in more than 1 way.
And once again, as I said before – from the customers point of view, we don’t and shouldn’t care about how much effort is put into creating the content – same as the seller doesn’t care how much effort we put into getting the money we spent on their expac. The only thing we need to know and care about is if we got what was promoted/being sold. Did we? no. End of story.

(edited by Spira.4578)

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

LOL anet… i keep coming back to see if any things changed since the failed hot but nope just more FAIL

Let me put it this way you can no longer make new legendarys for expansion 2 you cant make any that req more than any thing other than core/hot or that will be false advertising
and with the rage of the gaming community well yea ..

Legendary weapons

BrotherBelial.3094

What many people (including ANET) seem to not get is that legendaries have a huge impact on the other aspects of the game. Canceling any further development will cause HoT maps to become emptier (why farm if not for the bling?), which will also cause a big change on the market. Suddenly most demanded mats used for crafting legendaries will get their price dropped as the demand will also drop. Meaning, the main profit won’t come from mats but from direct gold gain – meaning, it will cause a drop in all kind of farming – except fractals where you get A static amount of gold.

Players not farming new maps also means other players (that would for 1 reason or another still want to farm them) having difficulties running those maps.
That’s just the first few things that come on my mind.
Either way- by putting 6 devs from 1 team to the LS dev team, means getting the LS content earlier. So 1 hour of gameplay a few months earlier (if we’ll be lucky). At the same time, by canceling the whole team, means completelly canceling the creation of the ONE content, that made players play the game for several hours. That’s a bad trade..

Also, even if that wouldn’t be the case; Legendaries are not the only feature that got indefinitelly suspended. There are some guild (hall) features and masteries missing and a week or two ago the fractal leaderboard was also canceled.
And sure, probably noone bought the expansion for 1 feature only. However this doesn’t mean they are any less important than the features that made it to the expansion and that they were not at least a partial reason for players to buy the expansion.
Canceling their production to work on something else is wrong in more than 1 way.
And once again, as I said before – from the customers point of view, we don’t and shouldn’t care about how much effort is put into creating the content – same as the seller doesn’t care how much effort we put into getting the money we spent on their expac. The only thing we need to know and care about is if we got what was promoted/being sold. Did we? no. End of story.

We got what we where sold. They where not included in HoT at launch, that is what we paid for. We where told they would be added after. After is a long time. Sure it would have been nice if they had been added in a timely fashion, but we were never given a time frame.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

Legendary weapons

Posted by: cDKI.8352

cDKI.8352

I strongly believe that we will in fact entertain you. We’re a team of people who love the game that you love, and are working on things we’re confident you’ll love. But I’m not here to convince you of that, and I wouldn’t expect you to take my word for it. You can make that judgment in April, and each subsequent time we ship. I will work to make you happy, and I’ll do it by making you happy with what we ship, not with what we promise to ship.

Mo

Mike, I’ve seen what your actions when you shipped in HoT and I have to say I am disappointed.

- We’re missing 10+ legendary weapons that were advertised to be released with the expansion.
- We have an incomplete precursor crafting experience with bugs still preventing the precursor crafting advertised for HoT.
- We have an incomplete legendary back piece collection for fractals.
- We have an incomplete Raid wing.
- We have an incomplete PvP ranking system that needs to be updated to keep the PvP population healthy.
- We have an incomplete WvW map that is being slated for removal instead of reworked.
- We have an incomplete balance pass in which classes have been gutted to deal with the (now-removed) bunker meta.

Now 6 months have passed and the incomplete projects you use to show your “love” to the game are being removed? For an upcoming expansion/LS update that we’re supposed to believe will be beneficial to the game because you say so?

Mike, I’ve been playing Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 since 2005, I’ve loved the franchise and I’ve recommended it to many people. I’ve been through all the highs and lows that the game has, and I’ve been a loyal customer through all of it. But to hear you (the president of this series) say you’re simply giving up on an advertised feature because it takes too much work is shocking.

Your decision is hasty, and goes against the beliefs that you, your team, and the GW1/2 communities have cherished over the years. Even if it takes years to finish the legendary weapons, you owe it to your community that has financially supported the original idea.

I hope you will take some time and reconsider this decision, because I can no longer support you or your team if you decide to take this route. Remember, actions speak louder than words.

Legendary weapons

Spira.4578

We got what we where sold. They where not included in HoT at launch, that is what we paid for. We where told they would be added after. After is a long time. Sure it would have been nice if they had been added in a timely fashion, but we were never given a time frame.

No, we didn’t lol..
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/hot-new-legendary-weapons/

“we will be releasing new legendary weapons in small groups at regular intervals until the full set of sixteen has been added to the game.”
Indefinitelly on hold (which is pretty much a suggarcoated cancelation) after the short bow release is in NO WAY a “small groups at regular intervals until the full set of sixteen has been added to the game.”
At the same time – we were promised fractal leaderbords – which were canceled.
Some of the guild features, like guild anthem, was supposed to be ingame at the launch – did it come with HoT? No. Furthermore, they explained that they are not even working on those features now.

Besides that, there was a talk about bark removing masteries and masteries regarding gliding like diving downwards ect; Which also got removed.
There’s other forgotten content that it simply disappeared.
So did we really get all of the promoted features? ABSOLUTELLY NOT.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Eddbopkins.2630

Eddbopkins.2630

my 2 cents…..i did not buy HOT solely for the legendary weapons but it did help sway my decision to pay the outrageous price of $99 , and the fact it is not going to happen is an out right miss advertisement and i feel that they lied to me about it and kinda feels like they stole some of my money. I can tell you right now i will not buy any more gw expansions. you cant advertise about end game content then withdraw after the purchase has happened. Lets say you buy a waffle iron and the manufacture says youll get a life time of waffle mix stuff, but then they ran out in the 1st month, and decided to not offer it anymore. well that waffle iron is now a paper weight if you got no mixin stuff. a silly analogy but w/e.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Wander.5780

Wander.5780

Maybe it’s time to look at spending my money elsewhere, I’m tired of the lip service and the lack of substance from the devs regarding this game. FFXIV has some interesting things on the horizon, and WoW will be back in the spotlight in a couple months. At least when you pay a sub fee there’s accountability to be had regarding content releases and a way to voice your opinion other than complaining on the forums to devs that practice bait and switch tactics.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Rococo.8347

Rococo.8347

A few content release stats since Hot went Live:

Gemstore:
Back packs 7
Gliders 12
Outfits 6
Appearance sets 3
Mini 13
Utility 4

Black Lion weapon sets 8

There have been no new armor sets since Hot released with only 3 when it was, no in game Gliders, 1 soon to be released Legendary all others cancelled, 2 almost impossible to get shoulders, 5 Halloween skins, 3 back packs.

No NEW maps or LS or Festivals or events discounting the paid for Xpac since January 2015.

No new playable content until August/Sep 2016.

Staff supposedly working on current and backlog content paid for as part of HoT: 120
Staff working a new Xpac when the present paid for one has yet to be completed: 70
Staff taken off one agreed part of Hot to help complete another: 6
Staff working on gemstore and other money spinning areas out of the 120?

(edited by Rococo.8347)

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

Legendary weapons are completely useless why are people making such a big deal about this? Do you truly honestly care or are you just complaining because you’re mad? Are you that heartbroken by anet scrapping the legendary weapons? Or just mad/upset because it wont happen? It was a dumb move on their part, sure. But in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn’t effect much.

Please allow me to point you to this Pre-Hot interview with Mr. O’Brien and Colin from January 2015.

Colin says things like: “’respecting the players time” and “not invalidating their hard work” and most importantly: “everything together builds one cohesive unit that makes this expansion succeed and any one piece not being here doesn’t bring it all together”.

Mr. O’Brien says things like: “’I have a feeling, the first day of revealing all these features, people are going to interpret these as separate features and say, ’oh I like this feature and I like this feature” and " I hope, that as people start thinking about this, they start thinking about how our purpose of building this expansion pack was really about laying the groundwork."

The video went on from there with Mr. O’Brien talking about masteries being part of the journey and laying the framework for the future and so on. This is about more than just weapons. This was all supposed to be about fluidity. Continuity. Cohesiveness. Some of us worked on those mastery lines, grinded out materials, spent countless hours of our time for something, and as it turns out, that time wasn’t respected, and it is now being invalidated. It is not appreciated. None of this even addresses the fact that we were sold this concept time and time again. We paid for it, and now, it’s being taken from us.

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

Legendary weapons

Posted by: froacus.6892

froacus.6892

May as well throw my unsolicited 2 cents into this thread. (I’m not going to read 30 pages of what I can only imagine is a cesspool at this point.)

Mistakes were made. I get it. You get it. ANet definitely gets it. And now, they are trying to fix said mistakes. This will require a substantial amount of short term pain, for hopefully a significant long term gain.

I’m hopeful for the 6-12 month future, and here’s why: consider the stakes. Most, if not all, community goodwill has been expended. Either things improve, or the game dies. At this point, I don’t really see a viable scenario where the game just limps along in perpetuity

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Make a pitch/promise to sell an expansion pack, back out of a selling point, and still produce Gem Store items…?

around 45 gem store updates since HoT release….

JQ Druid

Legendary weapons

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Since Hot has launched, 128 weapon skins have been released in the gem store. ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY EIGHT!!!!

Maybe, just maybe…. you have too many artists on staff and not enough programmers…

There are many options available to you:
1. Remove 30-70 people working on the next expansion and finish your current one.
2. Remove the raid team which is more niche than the legendary team
3. Fire the probably 100 artists you have working on the gem store and hire some MUCH needed devs to make actual content

The current course is unsustainable for the future of the game.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

Mistakes were made. I get it. You get it. ANet definitely gets it. And now, they are trying to fix said mistakes. This will require a substantial amount of short term pain, for hopefully a significant long term gain.

No, ANet doesn’t get it, that’s the problem.
Else they wouldn’t be removing people from developing a feature we already paid for.
They could get those people from the expansion team, or even the gem store team if they lack graphical assets. But they aren’t. They’re actively developing new content they can sell us to get more revenue, and suspending “indefinitely” the one that they promised, got paid for, and that won’t give them any more money.

Legendary weapons

BrotherBelial.3094

No, we didn’t lol..

“we will be releasing new legendary weapons in small groups at regular intervals until the full set of sixteen has been added to the game.”
Indefinitelly on hold (which is pretty much a suggarcoated cancelation) after the short bow release is in NO WAY a “small groups at regular intervals until the full set of sixteen has been added to the game.”
Some of the guild features, like guild anthem, was supposed to be ingame at the launch – did it come with HoT? No. Furthermore, they explained that they are not even working on those features now.

Besides that, there was a talk about bark removing masteries and masteries regarding gliding like diving downwards ect; Which also got removed.

You keep clutching to that. There is no time frame there, not a one. Regular intervals also is no given time frame. The could wait a year after the SB, then add 3 wait a bit add another one. That would still be a regular interval. As it would be repeating the same pattern. Peoples comprehension of what they are reading is appalling. They where never included with HoT AT LAUNCH. You did not pay for them. ANet said the would be added after, after means they are not included with HoT, only that you would need HoT to get them.

I could explain this to people all day but I can not understand it to you.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

Raids weren’t at launch either but they were definitely a selling point of HoT….. I believe that would be the “challenging group content”

So I guess when people paid for HoT they weren’t paying for raids either…… hahaha

Please explain some more Brother Belial

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

No, we didn’t lol..

You keep clutching to that. There is no time frame there, not a one. Regular intervals also is no given time frame. The could wait a year after the SB, then add 3 wait a bit add another one. That would still be a regular interval. As it would be repeating the same pattern. Peoples comprehension of what they are reading is appalling. They where never included with HoT AT LAUNCH. You did not pay for them. ANet said the would be added after, after means they are not included with HoT, only that you would need HoT to get them.

You can explain it all day, and you’d still be wrong. Legendary weapons were announced as a main feature of HoT when it was first announced. Legendary weapons were advertised as part of HoT. And legendary weapons are still on the HoT advertisement page mentioning all 16.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

First, a reality check:

For those excited about there finally being some communication with the players — Mike O’Brien is NOT a new face at ArenaNet. He’s been the president since GW2 was nothing but some bullet points on a whiteboard. While we haven’t heard from him in four years (since the manifesto) he’s always been the guy in charge of the guys we do hear from. Let that sink in a moment… We’re hearing from him now because after the departure of Chris Whiteside and Colin Johanson he’s literally run out of people to do it so he doesn’t have to.

Mike, I’m glad you’ve decided to finally engage with us. It unfortunate how many opportunities you’ve missed to do so before delivering this particular bombshell. It would have been great to have a stock of personal goodwill in hand before setting this particular fire.

Now some genuinely friendly advice:

By my casual napkin math, counting the final butcher’s bill when the 2nd Expac goes live, Arena Net lost at least a million dollars the day you made this announcement. I figure it’s still bleeding out about another million dollars a week this floats around without delivering a powerful counter argument. And I don’t mean promises and hoopla, because that well’s gone dry. I mean something delivered and in-game you can point to and say “See, GW2 is back on the path to greatness.” Something that will MAKE people nod their heads agreeably… when they’re not logged in and playing the new shiny.

You probably want to take a few more minutes out of your unquestionably busy President-AND-Studio Design Director duties and try to damp down the fire you started, but more importantly is gonna be a few days mysteriously popping into Every. Single. Office. on the main floor and cracking the whip. The abject failure of your “Legendary Team” has embarrassed the whole company. Somebody needs to deliver SOMETHING and they need to do it RIGHT NOW. And no, another limp, glacial, barely noticeable so-called ‘balance pass’ that doesn’t shake up the meta at all is not what I mean.

Good luck out there.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

(edited by Nike.2631)

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

No, we didn’t lol..

Just wait. 5g says that someone is:

1) Going to read/half-read your post.
2) Be unable to provide a supported counter-argument.
3) Label you as a hopeless “white-knight,” and therefore invalidate all your points through Ad Hominem.

NSPride <3

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

No, we didn’t lol..

You can explain it all day, and you’d still be wrong. Legendary weapons were announced as a main feature of HoT when it was first announced. Legendary weapons were advertised as part of HoT. And legendary weapons are still on the HoT advertisement page mentioning all 16.

Those points you mentioned are irrelevant when pitted against his reasoning. The reason the legendary weapons were included in HoT advertising, is because one still needs HoT to obtain future legendary weapons. They are “apart” of HoT, in that sense, but that doesn’t mean they were ment to be available now.

NSPride <3

Legendary weapons

BrotherBelial.3094

Raids weren’t at launch either but they were definitely a selling point of HoT….. I believe that would be the “challenging group content”

So I guess when people paid for HoT they weren’t paying for raids either…… hahaha

Really? We where told well in advance that raid where not in the initial launch of HoT. But we would need to have HoT to do them. So not really a selling point unless you read it as one. But hay when I read something I understand what I’m reading. I comprehend what the words mean. Things that are added later that will only be accessible to people with HoT, is not the same as when you buy HoT this will be included at launch.

So please tell me some more how I’m reading this all wrong and that needed HoT to play/earn/make something when it is added later, is the same as it being included in HoT at launch, and there for included in the price of it.

As I said I can explain it to you, I can not understand it to you.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Snake Antelope.9583

Snake Antelope.9583

wow.. just wow.

wooden potatoes nailed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q5K0itcmOI

i will not buy anything from the gem store or the next expansion until anet sorts out all these game flaws and player base let downs.

/2cents

Legendary weapons

Dinks.2478

Really? We where told well in advance that raid where not in the initial launch of HoT. But we would need to have HoT to do them. So not really a selling point unless you read it as one. But hay when I read something I understand what I’m reading. I comprehend what the words mean. Things that are added later that will only be accessible to people with HoT, is not the same as when you buy HoT this will be included at launch.

So please tell me some more how I’m reading this all wrong and that needed HoT to play/earn/make something when it is added later, is the same as it being included in HoT at launch, and there for included in the price of it.

Your entire argument is insanity. You’re sitting here trying to say that including content behind a paywall does not entitle you to that content when paid for. I’d question your intelligence but then I wouldn’t be able to reply to the white-knight dribble.

Legendary weapons

BrotherBelial.3094

Your entire argument is insanity. You’re sitting here trying to say that including content behind a paywall does not entitle you to that content when paid for. I’d question your intelligence but then I wouldn’t be able to reply to the white-knight dribble.

We have a winner! Do me a favor, go over my post history, you will see I am no white knight. So by your argument, anyone who buys HoT should also get LS 1 and 2. They payed the price for the game, yet because they where not playing at the time they missed it for free. But they payed the same price as the rest of us, why can’t they have it. When you buy a game, you pay for the content on the disc. Anything added after that be it free or not you are not technically entitled to. You only payed for the content that was shipped at launch. That’s how they can charge for LS2, it is not included with the initial launch of GW2. Personally I think it’s bad that they charge people for “free” story content. Especially when it’s the bridge between the core game and HoT. But that’s a different argument for another thread.

Legendary weapons

Spira.4578

No, we didn’t lol..

What you’re talking about is an interval, not a REGULAR interval. And releasing 1 separate weapon doesn’t make it a group of legendaries, it makes it 1, singular. Indefinitelly pausing something doesn’t put the paused item on an regular interval. It’s an inregular one. There’s really no reason to defend them. As a customer the only thing you need to know is – did you get the item in the exact same state as it was promoted? And the answer is (even if you put the legy issue out of the list) NO, you didn’t get it as it was promoted.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

Thanks for all the comments. I know there’s nothing I’m going to say that will make you feel better, but I’ll share some final thoughts for the night.

I said three weeks ago I’d focus on sustainability and quality. I want to reiterate the part about sustainability. Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but how about the recent drought of content? That kind of thing happens when we spread ourselves too thin, and when we let the content development pipeline empty out so we can fight fires. What I think we actually owe you is sustainable, predictable, high-quality content. I’m making a decision that’s painful in the short-term so we can position ourselves to deliver that.

Consider this… HoT currently has: 3 new maps (which are still buggy looking at DS) which are grindy as hell, Elite Specs which are heavy powercreep (pay to win in PvP…), a Story which is short but at least good (if you ignore the myriad of bugs f.e. in the Mordi battle), Guild halls, 2 Raids with 5 1/2 bosses, a new PvP map (which is quite unbalanced) and now only 4 legy weaps (3/4 being rarely used thanks to being underpowered or buggy)… That’s it?

I previously addressed the “half an expansion” thing, and I can point you to pages like this one and this one (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2:_Heart_of_Thorns), but that doesn’t matter because it’s just arguing. My job is to entertain you, not to argue with you.

I strongly believe that we will in fact entertain you. We’re a team of people who love the game that you love, and are working on things we’re confident you’ll love. But I’m not here to convince you of that, and I wouldn’t expect you to take my word for it. You can make that judgment in April, and each subsequent time we ship. I will work to make you happy, and I’ll do it by making you happy with what we ship, not with what we promise to ship.

Mo

For what it’s worth I personally have faith in your decision

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

No, we didn’t lol..

Doesnt regular interval mean intervas of approximately the same length?

The first interval was one month. It looks as if the short bow might be released at six months. That is an average interval of 3.5 months. If the first interval is discarded that still leaves us with an interval of six months.

It does not matter that the new legendaries were not included at launch as they were used as selling points for the expansion, advertised as such, prior to launch.

If I buy a one year subscription to my local newspaper which is advertised as including the weekly Sunday edition, then I have paid for each and every sunday edition even if they are not present at the time of the purchase.

Legendary weapons

BrotherBelial.3094

No, we didn’t lol..

What you’re talking about is an interval, not a REGULAR interval. And releasing 1 separate weapon doesn’t make it a group of legendaries, it makes it 1, singular. Indefinitelly pausing something doesn’t put the paused item on an regular interval. It’s an inregular one. There’s really no reason to defend them. As a customer the only thing you need to know is – did you get the item in the exact same state as it was promoted? And the answer is (even if you put the legy issue out of the list) NO, you didn’t get it as it was promoted.

Taking the legendary issue out, I completely agree with you, HoT is not what they said it would be, not to me anyway. The 3 biomes is my personal pet peeve. Not a single map has the 3 they spoke of. They have parts of what they said, and by parts I mean little tiny bits. By some arguments I’ve read I. The defense of it, queensdale has 3 biomses, water, land and caves.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Techstriker.4130

Techstriker.4130

I was rather happy with HoT, but from day one I always saw GW2 as they advertised it, a casual MMO that I return to occasionally when new content is releasekittenhe only one who remembered that point? Casual you play between other games an mmos since it’s sub free? Eh? ¯\(o.o)

Legendary weapons

Posted by: TheNecrosanct.4028

TheNecrosanct.4028

Lots of negativity, which was to be expected. Even though legendaries aren’t a major feature to me, I have begun working on some. Personally I was waiting until they dropped the RNG system to acquiring a precursor, and so far I’ve enjoyed these “scavenger hunts” for the precursor collections (bugs notwithstanding). It’s good to see that not everyone resorts to low blows, bullying and personal insults but that there are people who can voice their discontent and disappointment in approriate and eloquent ways, without insulting anyone or making themselves look like tantrum throwing toddlers. I’m sure your emotions are valid, but how you choose to express them (and stand by those forms of expression) is a choice, not an inevitablity.

Having said that, I’m in the camp that wonders why they didn’t decide to pull a few people of the 2nd expansion team to finish the legendaries they announced would come after the release of HoT (yes, after, not with). It’s unfortunate that it’s the Easter weekend because it will take a day longer before ANet offices are occupied again, but I feel Mike O’Brien would do good by telling us exactly why he didn’t. That is, unless office politics prohibit him from doing so. Has anyone thought that it might be NCSOFT’s doing to not pull anyone from the 2nd expansion team? They haven’t seen the revenue from HoT that they expected, and it’s typical company strategy to leave a “failed” investment for what it is and put your money (literally, in this case) on a new investment (i.e. the 2nd expansion). Has anyone taken into account that it might not be Mike’s personal choice at all to disband the legendary team? If so, I doubt NCSOFT would allow him, or appreciate it, when he publicly told us, but considering ANet is a subsidiary to NCSOFT I wouldn’t put it outside the realm of possibilities. Am I being a white knight now? Probably, to some. However, being objective and factoring in multiple possible scenarios, some of which might exonerate ANet from this decision if they were indeed forced to, is not the same as being a white knight. I’m not saying they were forced, but it’s possible. As someone who’d rather take a positive and constructive approach to things, I like to believe that this might be what’s going on behind the scenes. At least I’ll take it as a possibility unless I see evidence to the contrary. And this is stuff we will likely never know, at least not in the foreseeable future. I sincerely hope that this thread will have brought to light some alternative methods for them, or at the least it will tell them that this backlash is counterproductive to what they are trying to achieve at the moment, according to Mike’s statement. Regarding longstanding issues that were already issues long before HoT was released I agree ANet could’ve been a lot more forthcoming. But any problems with HoT’s content itself would likely take longer than 5 to 6 months to complete, and be part of a major balance patch and not the bi-weekly updates. That patch is coming soon, and those quarterly balance patches usually tackle a lot of stuff. I’m curious to see the results and see if it mitigates the fallout from this legendary announcement a bit.

There is one thing, however, I do not understand. People keep telling about all the content that is tied to the precursor crafting, talking about it as if they’re missing out on it now. But literally none of the content tied to precursor crafting is new content. All of it has been in game for a long time now and can be done at any time, every single day even, if you like. The only difference is adding a trophy reward that you need for the collection achievements, but that’s it. Legendaries constitute very little content, besides the skins they provide. They cost a lot of time and resources, sure, but I feel people act as if they’re missing out on a lot of content, which they are most certainly not. If it truly was about the content and not the reward, they would be doing said content at this very moment. Personally I’d still like to see those skins in game, even if that means we get back the old-fashioned RNG system for acquiring the precursors to these post-HoT legendaries, and even if it turns out I don’t like any of them. They could let a handful of people continue to work on the crafting journeys for those legendaries and release that with the next expansion, but at the very least we would have access to those legendaries now, whereas with this decision we don’t have access to them at all (except for 4 of them), and it seems highly unlikely that we ever will (the term “suspended indefinitely” in business, like others have pointed out already, does not bode well for the future of legendary weapons, despite that it does not literally state we will never get them). There are so many possibilities to give everyone what they want here and I’m sure Mike is smart enough to realize that too. I’m sure the merit of pulling people off the expansion team instead of disbanding the legendary team has crossed his mind. I understand he doesn’t want to promise us anything anymore, at least not when it comes to solid content information, but considering the loss of faith in ANet because of this decision I think it would be only fair to share his long term plan with us in a little more detail than just the vague descriptions we have right now. This will not create any more understanding and that is one of the things he sorely needs from the GW2 community right now.

Edit: spelling

(edited by TheNecrosanct.4028)

Legendary weapons

Dinks.2478

Lots of negativity, which was to be expected. Even though legendaries aren’t a major feature to me, I have begun working on some. Personally I was waiting until they dropped the RNG system to acquiring a precursor, and so far I’ve enjoyed these “scavenger hunts” for the precursor collections (bugs notwithstanding). It’s good to see that not everyone resorts to low blows, bullying and personal insults but that there are people who can voice their discontent and disappointment in approriate and eloquent ways, without insulting anyone or making themselves look like tantrum throwing toddlers. I’m sure your emotions are valid, but how you choose to express them (and stand by those forms of expression) is a choice, not an inevitablity.

Having said that, I’m in the camp that wonders why they didn’t decide to pull a few people of the 2nd expansion team to finish the legendaries they announced would come after the release of HoT (yes, after, not with). It’s unfortunate that it’s the Easter weekend because it will take a day longer before ANet offices are occupied again, but I feel Mike O’Brien would do good by telling us exactly why he didn’t. That is, unless office politics prohibit him from doing so. Has anyone thought that it might be NCSOFT’s doing to not pull anyone from the 2nd expansion team? They haven’t seen the revenue from HoT that they expected, and it’s typical company strategy to leave a “failed” investment for what it is and put your money (literally, in this case) on a new investment (i.e. the 2nd expansion). Has anyone taken into account that it might not be Mike’s personal choice at all to disband the legendary team? If so, I doubt NCSOFT would allow him, or appreciate it, when he publicly told us, but considering ANet is a subsidiary to NCSOFT I wouldn’t put it outside the realm of possibilities. Am I being a white knight now? Probably, to some. However, being objective and factoring in multiple possible scenarios, some of which might exonerate ANet from this decision if they were indeed forced to, is not the same as being a white knight. I’m not saying they were forced, but it’s possible. As someone who’d rather take a positive and constructive approach to things, I like to believe that this might be what’s going on behind the scenes. At least I’ll take it as a possibility unless I see evidence to the contrary. And this is stuff we will likely never know, at least not in the foreseeable future. I sincerely hope that this thread will have brought to light some alternative methods for them, or at the least it will tell them that this backlash is counterproductive to what they are trying to achieve at the moment, according to Mike’s statement. Regarding longstanding issues that were already issues long before HoT was released I agree ANet could’ve been a lot more forthcoming. But any problems with HoT’s content itself would likely take longer than 5 to 6 months to complete, and be part of a major balance patch and not the bi-weekly updates. That patch is coming soon, and those quarterly balance patches usually tackle a lot of stuff. I’m curious to see the results and see if it mitigates the fallout from this legendary announcement a bit.

There is one thing, however, I do not understand. People keep telling about all the content that is tied to the precursor crafting, talking about it as if they’re missing out on it now. But literally none of the content tied to precursor crafting is new content. All of it has been in game for a long time now and can be done at any time, every single day even, if you like. The only difference is adding a trophy reward that you need for the collection achievements, but that’s it. Legendaries constitute very little content, besides the skins they provide. They cost a lot of time and resources, sure, but I feel people act as if they’re missing out on a lot of content, which they are most certainly not. If it truly was about the content and not the reward, they would be doing said content at this very moment. Personally I’d still like to see those skins in game, even if that means we get back the old-fashioned RNG system for acquiring the precursors to these post-HoT legendaries, and even if it turns out I don’t like any of them. They could let a handful of people continue to work on the crafting journeys for those legendaries and release that with the next expansion, but at the very least we would have access to those legendaries now, whereas with this decision we don’t have access to them at all (except or 4 of them), and it seems highly unlikely that we ever will (the term “suspended indefinitely” in business, like others have pointed out already, does not bode well for the future of legendary weapons, despite that it does not literally state we will never get them). There are so many possibilities to give everyone what they want here and I’m sure Mike is smart enough to realize that too. I’m sure the merit of pulling people off the expansion team instead of disbanding the legendary team has crossed his mind. I understand he doesn’t want to promise us anything anymore, at least not when it comes to solid content information, but considering the loss of faith in ANet because of this decision I think it would be only fair to share his long term plan with us in a little more detail that just the vague descriptions we have right now. This will not create any more understanding and that is one of the things he sorely needs from the GW2 community right now.

Its about the journey… random events A and B are largely boring and lame. In the context of the legendary and WHY I am doing it makes it fun.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Rose Solane.1027

Rose Solane.1027

Lord talk about rivers of tears.

Let’s talk about what’s the best thing for the game, we’re only a small fraction of people have legendaries but everybody plays content. What do you think is more important for the masses as a whole?

I am not saying they should have canceled legendary development, but if it’s coming down to a matter of more content or more legendaries, I think it’s pretty clear that more content is more important for the player base as a whole.

and those 6 people will speed up the other 120 people working on HoT by a mile right? So much better than moving those 70 people dedicated to the next expansion, or you know, HIRING SOME MORE.

Are you saying it’s a smart idea to slow down the development of the next expansion?

I don’t know if that is what Mitha is saying, but that is definitely what I want. I don’t want another expansion, I want this expansion to be finished first. If that is with or without extra legendaries is something ArenaNet has to decide. I am still waiting for the second half of HoT. The extra Legendaries I will not get, hopefully I will get more story and at least one other map. And better WvW. To satisfy other players the rest of the raid wings and extra fractals would also be nice.

I don’t think what they delivered so far with HoT is enough to call this a complete expansion, it is only the first half. I am sad that Mike O Brien seems offended by others who said this. Because that makes me think that he is satisfied with what ArenaNet delivered. And so far HoT is simply not good enough for me to consider spending any RL money on GW2. I bought the base core game when GW2 released and bought the extra parts later with gems. Even though I didn’t need most of what was extra. That was my way of supporting GW2. I planned to do the same with HoT, but at the moment it is far away from the state I want it to be in before I am going to buy the extra’s.

As much as I want them to finish the legendaries promised with this expansion before they launch the next, I can also see the point in NOT slowing down the launch of the next xpac: They don’t want to have the same content-drought fiasco that plagued the gap between LS2 and HoT. Especially if Expac 2 is going to have an ambitious amount of content to it (Such as a new playable race?)

The problem with Living Story was that it never did much more than give us “More of the Same”, outside of the story. Same mechanics, same classes, same traits, same races. Sometimes new maps… filled with same mechanics and same style of events.

It is nice to see my post is saved in your quote. Saves me the time to type it again

I don’t care much for the legendaries. But I care even less for the next expansion. HoT isn’t what I would call a complete expansion, whatever Mike O Brien thinks about that. Without the other half of this expansion (and that includes more story) I am not going to buy that next expansion. Hell, I won’t play GW2 by then if ArenaNet don’t deliver a lot more.

So I see every reason to slow down the next expansion. Who is going to buy it?

Piken Square, The descendants of Gwen

Legendary weapons

Dinks.2478

I’m just curious what all the “I don’t care about legendaries so I am happy” posters would be saying if this was reversed and it was their favorite content that was being nixed. The selfish rallying behind anet is disgusting.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: TheNecrosanct.4028

TheNecrosanct.4028

Its about the journey… random events A and B are largely boring and lame. In the context of the legendary and WHY I am doing it makes it fun.

I can get behind that. I have to admit, giving it context makes it a bit more enjoyable to get a precursor, certainly as compared to the previous RNG system (the fact that I never had a precursor drop since the launch of GW2 “might” factor into my dislike for that system :P). Though seeing the obvious gold/material sink that it is, and not the only one they introduced to HoT (I am also speaking as my guild’s Scribe), is a demotivating factor for me personally, and the reason why none of my precursor collections have progressed past tier II yet. I’ve unlocked 12, all the ones I like, with the intent to spend as much time on them as it would take by just playing the game instead of chasing the trophies all the time.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

I’m just curious what all the “I don’t care about legendaries so I am happy” posters would be saying if this was reversed and it was their favorite content that was being nixed. The selfish rallying behind anet is disgusting.

So people have to agree with you or else be selfish?

Legendary weapons

Spira.4578

No, but if they say “I don’t care if people don’t get what they paid for, simply because I don’t like the canceled content” then yes, they ARE selfish.

Legendary weapons

BrotherBelial.3094

The would have to axe PvE for me to get really upset, but then that would end there game, so…..

As for the selfish, how? Some just see the bigger picture and play the game as a whole, not just one small part.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

I can get behind that. I have to admit, giving it context makes it a bit more enjoyable to get a precursor, certainly as compared to the previous RNG system (the fact that I never had a precursor drop since the launch of GW2 “might” factor into my dislike for that system :P). Though seeing the obvious gold/material sink that it is, and not the only one they introduced to HoT (I am also speaking as my guild’s Scribe), is a demotivating factor for me personally, and the reason why none of my precursor collections have progressed past tier II yet. I’ve unlocked 12, all the ones I like, with the intent to spend as much time on them as it would take by just playing the game instead of chasing the trophies all the time.

I’m in the same boat. I loved helping a friend craft dusk, and then got to tier 2 and said screw it. It’s not so much the materials, as it is the Timegates for the materials and the fact the only reliable source of high tier leather and cloth are RNG drops of their respective armor groups.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Cysgod.8523

Cysgod.8523

I don’t agree with the hostility from either side of the argument because I feel like they’re both missing the big picture.

However. I see a lot of players just assuming this is fine business practice because they personally don’t like or strive for legendaries and that upsets me, I feel like unless we give ANet the reaction that you’d give any company you regularly buy from they’re just going to do the same thing with the next expansion (if there is even a game left to expand)

But on another note I would like to personally clear the air.

Earlier I accused Mike O’Brien of personally infracting a post I made that he openly disagreed with, I’ve now been told (after the fact, and after another infraction) that it was actually a forum moderator (anonymously) that infracted the post on grounds that weren’t mentioned in the mod note leading to the assumption that I was being disrespected and infracted on the grounds of “because I want to” and I would like to apologize to Mike O’Brien for my accusations.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Ticky.5831

Ticky.5831

As for the selfish, how? Some just see the bigger picture and play the game as a whole, not just one small part.

lol

This guy can’t be for real. Stop validating him folks.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Hmmmmmmmmmmnmnmz.9623

Hmmmmmmmmmmnmnmz.9623

I understand people’s dissapointment, but after all, saying HoT wasn’t 50€ worth of content is weak. Theres a lot of stuff to do at this mind-blowing environment of HoT and its only about if you like to do these things or not.

Seriously, this subject took me back to watch youtube videos and see whats up with WoW I played many years ago. That game looked like they playing at lego-land!? Well I dont want to compare this 2 games more, but seriously ppl should give more respect to Anet and how much work, for example, these new beautiful HoT maps has eaten.

Personally Im wvw roamer, but still love every part of the game(well almost… I dont give a kitten about stories, but Im fine with it). I finished crafting HOPE, reached diamond rank in both pvp seasons(here I come Legendary!!), got mastery rank 163, experienced some raiding and defeated Vale Guardian, got gold reward in most mini-games.

I still feel theres TOO MUCH things to do in-game and I didnt even try out all of the HoT content, like revenant or whole new wvw map!

I just think people give up on things too easy leaving them to “nothing to do” state. Good example is pvp leagues.

If you are a person, who ONLY enjoy pve or pvp, no need to be smart guy to figure out they cant promise you thousands of hours interesting, not grindable content. Sure theres people who done all pve and pvp content already, but for them I would suggest new game called ‘real life’ as simple that is.

Legendary weapons

Dinks.2478

What? saying “I am happy because I don’t like legendaries” is literally the definition of selfish…

Legendary weapons

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Sorry Dinks, but if suspending the legendary weapons makes other playable content better, then I support this decision. I think more people will be positively impacted by this than negatively impacted.

Of course, I couldn’t care less about the legendary weapons. I don’t use the one I have, and I don’t see myself getting enough core mastery points to build the new one. It’s just not a path I’m interested in going down.

I understand why your upset about it, but don’t expect everyone to share in your misery.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Mishoo.5918

Mishoo.5918

Statement: Work on new legendary weapons indefinitely suspended.
Well , one reason less to visit HoT maps, I said. Then I wondered myself, and I think I’m not the only one, what to do with all the materials I have collected over time. Well, there is something to craft.

Maybe not the place to ask this, but is the legendary backpack for fractals still on the table?

Have to ask Mike, but…does this also apply to legendary armor?

We’ll deliver both. This is about legendary weapons.

Mo

I asked about legendary armor, if acquisition will remain raid bound. No answer yet.
Now, it would be completely wrong to think that one reason for suspending legendary weapons could be channeling player’s efforts towards legendary armor, ie to persuade people to do raids?
… conspiracy theory, I know. I understand.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

New Legendary Weapons (Greatsword/Sword/Scepter specifically) was one of the main reasons i bought Heart of Thorns. I feel betrayed.

There are a LOT of players that feel like now they’ll never get content they specifically purchased and were promised. If you were really wanting the new legendary weapons to work on long term and had bought HoT largely for this, it’s just been confirmed that you wasted your money.

I hope ya’ll bought the cheap $50 set…

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Dantert.1803

Dantert.1803

Totally support Mike O Brien in his decision, he is a legend in the field and I trust his ability to evaluate what’s best for the game.
I’m not saying that not releasing the new legendaries isn’t bad, but it is the less bad that could happen, also focusing on the LS is good for me since I don’t care about Legendaries…
To the people getting upset about this thing…just get over it, if you like the game just for the legendaries or you bought Hot only for the new legendaries it was totally your fault not of the devs, you are free to move to something else, why wasting your time complaining about something that will not change?
I think we got too spoiled with constant updates and new free stuff that we forgot how much they did for the game till now. We already had legendaries with the expansion, now we will have 1 free. The others were not meant to be included into Hot, it was planned but they changed their mind, and that’s fine because it’s their game, their idea and they are the ones working on it. It’s not like you can wake up go to George R. R. Martin or another writer and say that he has to write his books differently and that the date of the release of his books were wong or that he promised somthing and he can not change his mind, because it’s his creation, if you like it you read it! The last thing that I want is that the devs start to follow every direction from the players and go till the end on everything that is on the table just because they promised it, even if it is not ready and not worth to be released compared to the rest. That would end up in just a big mess.

Legendary weapons

BrotherBelial.3094

lol

This guy can’t be for real. Stop validating him folks.

Lol really? What my points are not valid? If they are not.please tell me why. And in why I mean facts, as to why my point of view is not valid.

People seem to forget the bulk of the dev staff are on live content, the 70 on expansion 2 are probably artist for the most part, with probably terrain designers and 3D modelers so the can see what things might look like.but seeing as we do not know what the 10 (was it?) working on the legendary weapons skill sets where, its hard to say if pulling artists off expansion 2 to help with legendary weapons would not help. If the problems are finding ways to weave the story of the weapons in to the game then putting them in. Not to say I know what these people know or do not know, but I would guess they don’t have the needed skill set to help. In work I would ask the guy who brings the mail around to help me network a new group of PC’s to the server. We wouldn’t have the needed knowledge to do that, even I we could muddle our way through. It would probably take way longer to do and at the cost of holding back our own work.

And seeing as pulling people of the live team is a no go dew to the problems with PvP and WvW and the massive content black hole we are currently in would probably drive off more people than shelving legendary weapons ever will.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

“if you like the game just for the legendaries or you bought HoT only for the new legendaries it was totally your fault not the devs”

Yes, you legendary lovers!!! How dare you buy HoT expecting 16 legendaries??? I know Anet advertised 16 new legendaries but they have more important things to do right now. It’s all your fault!! Not the company who used it as advertising. It is your fault for buying it.

So you are saying anyone who buys a product based on what Anet advertises is at fault?