Legendary weapons

Legendary weapons

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wander.5780

Wander.5780

Totally support Mike O Brien in his decision, he is a legend in the field and I trust his ability to evaluate what’s best for the game.
I’m not saying that not releasing the new legendaries isn’t bad, but it is the less bad that could happen, also focusing on the LS is good for me since I don’t care about Legendaries…
To the people getting upset about this thing…just get over it, if you like the game just for the legendaries or you bought Hot only for the new legendaries it was totally your fault not of the devs, you are free to move to something else, why wasting your time complaining about something that will not change?
I think we got too spoiled with constant updates and new free stuff that we forgot how much they did for the game till now. We already had legendaries with the expansion, now we will have 1 free. The others were not meant to be included into Hot, it was planned but they changed their mind, and that’s fine because it’s their game, their idea and they are the ones working on it. It’s not like you can wake up go to George R. R. Martin or another writer and say that he has to write his books differently and that the date of the release of his books were wong or that he promised somthing and he can not change his mind, because it’s his creation, if you like it you read it! The last thing that I want is that the devs start to follow every direction from the players and go till the end on everything that is on the table just because they promised it, even if it is not ready and not worth to be released compared to the rest. That would end up in just a big mess.

The fact we haven’t gotten LS content for nearly a year and just now they are axing all legendary development to continue said LS content development is ridiculous, and an indication that you cannot believe anything the devs say regarding future content. If you can’t trust the devs, why would anyone want to pump money into this game? WvW has been broken forever, HoT content is lacking and what is available is time gated and not fun. A lot of people aren’t happy with the direction of this game since the release of HoT, and now this happening is further proof that there are really bad decisions made at anet consistently and we are the ones paying for it.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Ticky.5831

Ticky.5831

As for the selfish, how? Some just see the bigger picture and play the game as a whole, not just one small part.

lol

This guy can’t be for real. Stop validating him folks.

Lol really? What my points are not valid? If they are not.please tell me why. And in why I mean facts, as to why my point of view is not valid.

People seem to forget the bulk of the dev staff are on live content, the 70 on expansion 2 are probably artist for the most part, with probably terrain designers and 3D modelers so the can see what things might look like.but seeing as we do not know what the 10 (was it?) working on the legendary weapons skill sets where, its hard to say if pulling artists off expansion 2 to help with legendary weapons would not help. If the problems are finding ways to weave the story of the weapons in to the game then putting them in. Not to say I know what these people know or do not know, but I would guess they don’t have the needed skill set to help. In work I would ask the guy who brings the mail around to help me network a new group of PC’s to the server. We wouldn’t have the needed knowledge to do that, even I we could muddle our way through. It would probably take way longer to do and at the cost of holding back our own work.

And seeing as pulling people of the live team is a no go dew to the problems with PvP and WvW and the massive content black hole we are currently in would probably drive off more people than shelving legendary weapons ever will.

You are saying people aren’t looking at the game as a whole, but all you are doing is discounting something you don’t care for as part of that “whole”. That’s why you are being selfish.

Also, some of us, (me for instance), are actually concerned about the long term effects of this. We project a massive flop of the next expansion, because, in fact, absolutely none of the salable features that are going to be advertised for it can be counted on.

(edited by Ticky.5831)

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

Legendaries provide goals to work towards… well… forever. Living Story episodes will be played through once. And then twice, for all the achievements. Then 99% of players will never touch them again. How does this warrant more work being taken from one toward the other?

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

How am I going to know in the future whether or not anything advertised before or even at release is actually going to be delivered. Thanks to how Anet is doing business now, I can’t ever trust that what they say I’m paying for is what I’m actually going to get.

And IMO, any future claims of “We’re going to have this, but it won’t all be available the day of purchase” is a big red flag telling me that this content can and probably will be cancelled at any time after I’ve already paid for it.

No, thanks. There are plenty of other MMOs where I can spend my money and NOT have this problem.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Hmmmmmmmmmmnmnmz.9623

Hmmmmmmmmmmnmnmz.9623

“if you like the game just for the legendaries or you bought HoT only for the new legendaries it was totally your fault not the devs”

Yes, you legendary lovers!!! How dare you buy HoT expecting 16 legendaries??? I know Anet advertised 16 new legendaries but they have more important things to do right now. It’s all your fault!! Not the company who used it as advertising. It is your fault for buying it.

So you are saying anyone who buys a product based on what Anet advertises is at fault?

Hahaha. Why people who suddenly ‘bought HoT just for new legendary’ didnt buy it when the liked item is released. I wouldnt “buy a car without seeing it, seller promises to bring new wheels next week”. If you purchased HoT already, i’d say you definately got 50€ worth content.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

from https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/hot-new-legendary-weapons/

" It takes a lot of work to craft these legendary journeys for release, so rather than take the time to develop the full set before releasing any of them, we will be releasing new legendary weapons in small groups at regular intervals until the full set of sixteen has been added to the game. "

until the full set of sixteen has been added to the game…..

I won’t lose sleep over not getting it, but I just wanted to add this to a growing list of untruths and revisions we keep getting.

SBI

Legendary weapons

Ticky.5831

“if you like the game just for the legendaries or you bought HoT only for the new legendaries it was totally your fault not the devs”

Yes, you legendary lovers!!! How dare you buy HoT expecting 16 legendaries??? I know Anet advertised 16 new legendaries but they have more important things to do right now. It’s all your fault!! Not the company who used it as advertising. It is your fault for buying it.

So you are saying anyone who buys a product based on what Anet advertises is at fault?

Hahaha. Why people who suddenly ‘bought HoT just for new legendary’ didnt buy it when the liked item is released. I wouldnt “buy a car without seeing it, seller promises to bring new wheels next week”. If you purchased HoT already, i’d say you definately got 50€ worth content.

How would you know? I have a guildy who has only been doing dailies, guild missions and precursor crafting. I think they had 8 of them crafted the last time she told me. Stop projecting your experience on other people.

Legendary weapons

Hmmmmmmmmmmnmnmz.9623

How would you know? Stop projecting your experience on other people.

Well, shes doing content she purchased? Soon she will have 1 more new legendary to work towards.

(edited by Hmmmmmmmmmmnmnmz.9623)

Legendary weapons

Ticky.5831

Well, I got sixth sense against salesmen. Dont pay for something you not sure to like.

What? There’s no guarantee you’ll like anything you buy. That’s a ridiculous model to live by, and a terrible one to hold other people to.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

As for the selfish, how? Some just see the bigger picture and play the game as a whole, not just one small part.

lol

Lol really? What my points are not valid? If they are not.please tell me why. And in why I mean facts, as to why my point of view is not valid.

People seem to forget the bulk of the dev staff are on live content, the 70 on expansion 2 are probably artist for the most part, with probably terrain designers and 3D modelers so the can see what things might look like.but seeing as we do not know what the 10 (was it?) working on the legendary weapons skill sets where, its hard to say if pulling artists off expansion 2 to help with legendary weapons would not help. If the problems are finding ways to weave the story of the weapons in to the game then putting them in. Not to say I know what these people know or do not know, but I would guess they don’t have the needed skill set to help. In work I would ask the guy who brings the mail around to help me network a new group of PC’s to the server. We wouldn’t have the needed knowledge to do that, even I we could muddle our way through. It would probably take way longer to do and at the cost of holding back our own work.

And seeing as pulling people of the live team is a no go dew to the problems with PvP and WvW and the massive content black hole we are currently in would probably drive off more people than shelving legendary weapons ever will.

You are saying people aren’t looking at the game as a whole, but all you are doing is discounting something you don’t care for as part of that “whole”. That’s why you are being selfish.

Also, some of us, (me for instance), are actually concerned about the long term effects of this. We project a massive flop of the next expansion, because, in fact, absolutely none of the salable features that are going to be advertised for it can be counted on.

Discounting? Not at all, just pointing out that legendary weapons when not an initial part of HoT, that we knew before hand that the legendary weapons would come after HoT and than we would need HoT to get them. We knew all this going in that they where to be added. That means they where not ready, started or what ever. Yes ANet failed to deliver on the amount the said they would. Yes its bad news for those who wanted to collect all 16. I would rather ANet focus on there 3 main game modes first and fix them. PvE has been in the same state since HoT launched, PvP is a HoT mess with many people upset, and WvW, well we all know that fell on its face, ANet have been slow to do anything on that front, which is a travesty. But hay lets worry about a small part of the game shall we?

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

(edited by BrotherBelial.3094)

Legendary weapons

Ticky.5831

lol

Discounting? Not at all, just pointing out that legendary weapons when not an initial part of HoT, that we knew before hand that the legendary weapons would come after HoT and than we would need HoT to get them. We knew all this going in that they where to be added. That means they where not ready, started or what ever. Yes ANet failed to deliver on the amount the said they would. Yes its bad news for those who wanted to collect all 16. I would rather ANet focus on there 3 mane game modes first and fix them. PvE has been in the same state since HoT launched, PvP is a HoT mess with many people upset, and WvW, well we all know that fell on its face, ANet have been a travesty. But hay lets worry about a small part of the game shall we?

Honestly, this just confirms what I said. I don’t know what you were planning on with this response.

Also, it’s not only bad news for people who wanted to collect all 16. It’s bad news for anyone who wanted a replacement for any of the current ones(mace, shield and focus are really unpopular for instance). And it’s bad news for EVERYONE 2 years down the line.

(edited by Ticky.5831)

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Spira.4578

Spira.4578

Totally support Mike O Brien in his decision, he is a legend in the field and I trust his ability to evaluate what’s best for the game.
I’m not saying that not releasing the new legendaries isn’t bad, but it is the less bad that could happen, also focusing on the LS is good for me since I don’t care about Legendaries…
To the people getting upset about this thing…just get over it, if you like the game just for the legendaries or you bought Hot only for the new legendaries it was totally your fault not of the devs, you are free to move to something else, why wasting your time complaining about something that will not change?
I think we got too spoiled with constant updates and new free stuff that we forgot how much they did for the game till now. We already had legendaries with the expansion, now we will have 1 free. The others were not meant to be included into Hot, it was planned but they changed their mind, and that’s fine because it’s their game, their idea and they are the ones working on it. It’s not like you can wake up go to George R. R. Martin or another writer and say that he has to write his books differently and that the date of the release of his books were wong or that he promised somthing and he can not change his mind, because it’s his creation, if you like it you read it! The last thing that I want is that the devs start to follow every direction from the players and go till the end on everything that is on the table just because they promised it, even if it is not ready and not worth to be released compared to the rest. That would end up in just a big mess.

More devs working on the LS – We’ll get 1 hour of gameplay sooner.
Devs working on Legendaries – We’d get x hours-weeks of gameplay toward the goal of getting this item.
Not all players do both content, however, when it comes to hours spent ingame, legendaries would definitelly help in a much greater way.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: neoklis.5183

neoklis.5183

hello,
first of all I sincerely admire the decision to post such news in the forums during a certain toxicity in the community. While these are quite sad news I do agree with the this decision, as new legendary weapons only add a cosmetic value in the game and LWS3 will provide more content in regards to the story and possibly playable areas which are the main criticisms of HoT. I’ve been a huge fan of this series (since the original GW) and I would like it to succeed, therefore, I want to share my opinion on the matter. I believe that the huge backlash from the community from this decision comes from the promise of more content on a particular aspect which is now gone and replaced with the promise of something unknown. However to rationalize the issue I personally believe more story and more explorable areas will add much more value to the HoT price than new legendary weapons since we already got the precursor collections and thus we could start working on legendaries that were inaccessible previously. Now on the other side of the coin many people might have been excited with the new legendaries as some of the existing ones may not be particularly appealing to some such as the legendary mace. Despite this criticism someone has to bare in mind that if developers spent more time in new legendary weapons, which not everyone will eventually craft, and less time in up-coming expansions or quarterly patches then we will be in a situation were the community complains of a lack of content such as in the case of the HoT expansion, which at the end of the day is much more damaging. I understand that these are my personal opinions and I don’t expect everyone to agree therefore I would like to suggest two options for the legendary problem since the major issue the developers seem to have is with there collections:

1. Add new legendary weapons without a precursor collection.
I’ll be honest, I don’t like this solution but it will allow players who really care about the aesthetics of their legendary weapons to get an alternative option thru the mystic forge

2. Re-use the existing legendary precursor collections to craft alternative weapons of a pre-designed legendary. Now I am not talking about re-skins but designing legendary weapons based on existing themes. For example since HoT is based heavily on the jungle what better excuse to have to design a set of legendary weapons baring a nature theme. These weapons would share the same collection as with the legendary bow kudzu and once the collection is completed the player could chose to transform the longbow precursor to a sword for example. I for example would love to have a legendary staff based on astralaria! Now there are two criticisms to this solution first the issue of some players having to wait until there favorite legendary theme to arrive and second that some of the excising collections are be a bit broken. On defense to the second criticism Arenanet already stated that they will be fixing the existing collections.

Again these are personal opinions therefore I would love to hear other opinions. Now on the last aspect of this backlash that Arenanet fails to meet their promises, well hostility in the forums doesn’t really help and also development does take time as I would rather have more quality than quantity. That been said I do value constructive criticism although I would hate if this hostility ends up destroying the recent transparency from the developers. I know this is a lengthy response but I would appreciate if anyone reads it and give me their thought.

regards,
a fan of the franchise

Legendary weapons

Ticky.5831

Well, shes doing content she purchased? Soon she will have 1 more new legendary to work towards.

Having a snarky response doesn’t validate the post I rebutted.

My point is, yes, there ARE people who only bought the expansion for the precursor crafting.

Legendary weapons

Hmmmmmmmmmmnmnmz.9623

Well, I got sixth sense against salesmen. Dont pay for something you not sure to like.

What? There’s no guarantee you’ll like anything you buy. That’s a ridiculous model to live by, and a terrible one to hold other people to.

There was alot of info and livestreams about content they release on HoT in general. You werent sure if u like anything that being released and still buy it? You should get to know yourself better…

Legendary weapons

Ticky.5831

There was alot of info and livestreams about content they release on HoT in general. You werent sure if u like anything that being released and still buy it? You should get to know yourself better…

So don’t hold anyone accountable to ethics?

Because part of those livestreams were the promise of a service. Does a responsibility to uphold service not mean anyting to you?

Also, how can you not notice the paradox of this line of thinking. You are saying promises in livestreams are concrete and you can make decisions with absolute certainty from them. But you are also saying that people who bought HoT with the expectations of the promises made were foolish to do so.

(edited by Ticky.5831)

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

I’m just curious what all the “I don’t care about legendaries so I am happy” posters would be saying if this was reversed and it was their favorite content that was being nixed. The selfish rallying behind anet is disgusting.

So people have to agree with you or else be selfish?

No, but if they say “I don’t care if people don’t get what they paid for, simply because I don’t like the canceled content” then yes, they ARE selfish.

Ok, I can understand that.

Let me ask you a question though. Clearly, from his very first post, Mo knew people were going to be upset. He made the decision anyway. WE don’t know what’s going on internally. Don’t you think it’s possible he was trying to make the best of a bad situation, rather than trying to screw people around?

We don’t know everything, but my suspicion is that things have not been going as they’d hoped, and they are trying to turn things around. And as such, they are making decisions that are for the best of the company and the community. That means, sometimes, making hard decisions where some plans have to be scrapped, and thus some people end up disappointed or even angered.

But it isn’t some insidious plot to crush the hopes and dreams of a segment of the population. They are, first and foremost, a business, and they are trying to make decisions that will in the end benefit the most people in the best way. That means not everyone gets what they want, and that sucks.

But as I said, I really doubt it was them lying or conspiring to shatter the hopes and dreams of the Legend Hunters. Legends just don’t influence as much of the population base as, say, more living story, more dynamic content, more expanions, etc etc.

And knowing how so many people have already condemned HoT as being too small, IE half an expansion, my suspicion is they’ve decided to make sure this one is a LOT larger, and in the meantime get some LS stuff cranking out to fill the empty space to keep the majority of us entertained in the meantime.

Was it a GOOD decision? Only time will tell. If they come out with high quality stuff, then a majority of the population base will be, with a smaller percentage still angry and unmollified – but as a business, they have to keep the majority happy, even if its at the expense of the minority.

I’ll grant you, if I was losing something I really liked, I’d be miffed too. But as I said, I’d also understand they were making business decisions for what they think will provide for the long term sustainability of the game.

The question is, can they deliver on it.

And with that, I’ll apologize to you Legend Hunters. My previous posts were perhaps a bit harsh. If I was in your position I’d probably be unhappy too. Granted, I did lose two things that destroyed utterly two builds I’d used for a long time – not the same as legendaries I suppose, but it still erked me. Still, I went on and decided to roll with the punches, and am enjoying the game quite thoroughly.

Who knows, maybe you will too.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

16 new legendaries was a big selling point for the whole t hing. to do a car analogy it would be like selling you a new car with warranty and then not getting the warranty. “what you see is what you get. future issues? nope on your own. bye”

Legendary weapons

Ticky.5831

I’m just curious what all the “I don’t care about legendaries so I am happy” posters would be saying if this was reversed and it was their favorite content that was being nixed. The selfish rallying behind anet is disgusting.

No, but if they say “I don’t care if people don’t get what they paid for, simply because I don’t like the canceled content” then yes, they ARE selfish.

That means, sometimes, making hard decisions where some plans have to be scrapped, and thus some people end up disappointed or even angered.

They still have to do that within the bounds of ethical behavior though.

Legendary weapons

Morfedel.4165

Not all players do both content, however, when it comes to hours spent ingame, legendaries would definitelly help in a much greater way.

For an extremely small percentage of people. Legendaries are not exactly common among the bulk of players in the game.

Legendary weapons

Celtic Lady.3729

I really don’t see why they can’t work on LS3 and the legendaries they promised at the same time. If their staff is really that small, then there is a much larger problem at the heart of it all than their false advertising, as bad as that is.

Legendary weapons

Morfedel.4165

That means, sometimes, making hard decisions where some plans have to be scrapped, and thus some people end up disappointed or even angered.

They also still have to make sure the game stays afloat. Sometimes the best laid plans of mice and men, etc etc.

That being the case, though, I don’t see how 6 devs out of the couple hundred mentioned couldn’t stay where they were. But as I said, we don’t know what’s going on internally.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

More devs working on the LS – We’ll get 1 hour of gameplay sooner.
Devs working on Legendaries – We’d get x hours-weeks of gameplay toward the goal of getting this item.

1 hour of game play for living story? I have to disagree. LW2 had brought many hours to my gameplay. I enjoy playing Silver Wastes and Dry Top quite a bit. Much more than 1 hour.

Legendary weapons

Ticky.5831

They also still have to make sure the game stays afloat.

Within the bounds of ethical behavior.

Legendary weapons

BrotherBelial.3094

lol

Discounting? Not at all, just pointing out that legendary weapons when not an initial part of HoT, that we knew before hand that the legendary weapons would come after HoT and than we would need HoT to get them. We knew all this going in that they where to be added. That means they where not ready, started or what ever. Yes ANet failed to deliver on the amount the said they would. Yes its bad news for those who wanted to collect all 16. I would rather ANet focus on there 3 mane game modes first and fix them. PvE has been in the same state since HoT launched, PvP is a HoT mess with many people upset, and WvW, well we all know that fell on its face, ANet have been a travesty. But hay lets worry about a small part of the game shall we?

Honestly, this just confirms what I said. I don’t know what you were planning on with this response.

Also, it’s not only bad news for people who wanted to collect all 16. It’s bad news for anyone who wanted a replacement for any of the current ones(mace, shield and focus are really unpopular for instance). And it’s bad news for EVERYONE 2 years down the line.

Really how so? Please.point it out to me. Sound more like you have no real argument to counter what I’ve said at any point. As for the generation one legendary weapons being unpopular, different people like different things, I happen to think that the shield, is one of, if not the best looking one out of the whole lot, HoT legendary weapons included. The rest I would reskin if I was given one. But everyone is different.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Gurni.1925

Gurni.1925

wow.. just wow.

wooden potatoes nailed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q5K0itcmOI

i will not buy anything from the gem store or the next expansion until anet sorts out all these game flaws and player base let downs.

/2cents

100% agree with the video.

If Anet really does this..I’m out… Just bought Heroes 7 and BDO …. so you Anet guys … no money for you. I paied 100 € for the expansion and you fooled me….legendaries were the main couse i bought it…..so….no more money for ya

Legendary weapons

Ticky.5831

I would rather ANet focus on there 3 main game modes first and fix them…

Yes its bad news for those who wanted to collect all 16(sic; not including yourself in there)

But hay lets worry about a small part of the game shall we…(sic; sarcastically, I assume)

I really shouldn’t have to describe how that is displaying selfishness and discounting something you don’t care for.

(edited by Ticky.5831)

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

I think we got too spoiled with constant updates and new free stuff that we forgot how much they did for the game till now. We already had legendaries with the expansion, now we will have 1 free. The others were not meant to be included into Hot, it was planned but they changed their mind, and that’s fine because it’s their game, their idea and they are the ones working on it.

Excuse me?! Their constant updates consisted of 10 minutes of mediocre story for 4 times in a row x2 with huge gaps in between and the last time we actually got new content outside of the half finished expansion itself was vinewrath on january 13th 2015! Yes, over one year ago!
The whiteknighing in here is just baffling.
HoT was advertised as having a full new set of legendaries, period. I bought the expansion specifically for the legendary weapons as well as the fractal backpack, neither of which are actually in the game almost half a year after release!

edit: The amount of people arguing that they don’t care for legendaries is just mind-boggling. It’s not about what type of content they cut – it’s about ANet promising that content and not delivering after getting paid.
Doesn’t matter if it’s LS, raids, legendareis or what have you.

(edited by Crovax.7854)

Legendary weapons

Posted by: swansea.2453

swansea.2453

I think we got too spoiled with constant updates and new free stuff that we forgot how much they did for the game till now. We already had legendaries with the expansion, now we will have 1 free. The others were not meant to be included into Hot, it was planned but they changed their mind, and that’s fine because it’s their game, their idea and they are the ones working on it.

Excuse me?! Their constant updates consisted of 10 minutes of mediocre story for 4 times in a row with huge gaps in between and the last time we actually got new content outside of the half finished expansion itself was vinewrath on january 13th 2015! Yes, over one year ago!
The whiteknighing in here is just baffling.
HoT was advertised as having a full new set of legendaries, period. I bought the expansion specifically for the legendary weapons as well as the fractal backpack, neither of which are actually in the game almost half a year after release!

Dude you might as well not waste your time trying to get through to the ‘White Knights’ they are blind even to the facts that are slapping them across the face. Anet could stop producing content and shut down the servers, and they would still defend them.

Legendary weapons

BrotherBelial.3094

Yes its bad news for those who wanted to collect all 16(sic; not including yourself in there)

But hay lets worry about a small part of the game shall we…(sic; sarcastically, I assume)

I really shouldn’t have to describe how that is displaying selfishness and discounting something you don’t care for.

Point one, personal opinion.
Point two, maybe, maybe not, I don’t like the current sword or great sword legendary weapons, I was hoping the new ones would be more to my personal tast, guess I’ll have a long wait to find out.
Point three, no it was a rhetorical question. Clearly for some, this is a much bigger issue than other parts of the game that probably have, or did have more people playing/doing things in those modes than the people just working on legendary weapons.

You can see that as selfish if you want, but wanting things fixed for the many, over the few is hardly selfish wouldn’t you say?

Legendary weapons

Celtic Lady.3729

Dude you might as well not waste your time trying to get through to the ‘White Knights’ they are blind even to the facts that are slapping them across the face. Anet could stop producing content and shut down the servers, and they would still defend them.

I tend to agree with you. And if Anet DID stop producing content and shut down the servers, they’d do it a week after taking pre-purchase money in the neighborhood of $100 from their players for a fabulous new expansion.

And yeah, the fanboys and White Knights would be happy about it because they’d be convinced Anet had a good reason for their actions. Go figure.

Legendary weapons

Ticky.5831

Point two, maybe, maybe not, I don’t like the current sword or great sword legendary weapons, I was hoping the new ones would be more to my personal tast, guess I’ll have a long wait to find out.
Point three, no it was a rhetorical question. Clearly for some, this is a much bigger issue than other parts of the game that probably have, or did have more people playing/doing things in those modes than the people just working on legendary weapons.

You can see that as selfish if you want, but wanting things fixed for the many, over the few is hardly selfish wouldn’t you say?

Over the few, not necessarily. At the expense of the few, if you are one of the many, than absolutely.

I believe the disconnect you are having here is the imagination that Legendary Journeys were, until now, being made at the exepnse of “the many”, which is an illusion. However, it can now be said that the benefits of “the many” are being made at the expense(that is the denial of what they are entitled to, a promise of a service rendered at the cost of tender) of “the few”.

In other words, you are benefiting from dirty money, and the number of people benefiting doesn’t “purify” it.

(edited by Ticky.5831)

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Spira.4578

Spira.4578

That became a standard on this forum, really.
It’s sad because they can’t see that they are the ones that keep fueling ANETs actions.
But you know what; Seeing Woodenpotatos and Brazil both sharing the opinion, says enough. Different community pillars, both disapointed at ANET.
And WP being disappointed to such extend that he had to rant about it and even thinking of leaving – yea, that’s a huge indicator.

Legendary weapons

Morfedel.4165

Calling it unethical is a little bit of a stretch. There’s a difference between them intentionally lying, breaking promises for no good reason, and making hard tough decisions to make sure the game stays afloat. The first example would be unethical but the second example is trying to survive and it’s not unethical in any way whatsoever

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Deth.4109

Deth.4109

I have been in this game since launch in 2012 and it was always my understanding that legendary weapons were both an essential feature of GW2’s character progression system and endgame content. Intimately tied to every aspect of the game as a whole.
now that development has stopped on legendary weapons I have no idea what a player like me, who has all the skins I’m interested in and ascended gear is supposed to do.

If the ultimate goal of new legendary weapons doesn’t exist why should I ever leave lions arch? or see new content? or even continue playing? I haven’t played alot lately as most of the rewards and items we get are effectively junk items to me and gold is virtually useless. heck the gem store items have even been pretty stale these last few months. this is so incredibly serious and I think the game will ultimately suffer for this new living world or not.

Legendary weapons

Ticky.5831

Calling it unethical is a little bit of a stretch. There’s a difference between them intentionally lying, breaking promises for no good reason, and making hard tough decisions to make sure the game stays afloat. The first example would be unethical but the second example is trying to survive and it’s not unethical in any way whatsoever

Do you honestly believe any of the Anet staff is in mortal peril?

Keep in mind, neither the game nor the corporation are living entities with consciousness. I think you are mistakenly projecting human survival ethics onto non-living constructs.

(edited by Ticky.5831)

Legendary weapons

Celtic Lady.3729

but the second example is trying to survive and it’s not unethical in any way whatsoever

“Trying to survive.” Think about that. Says a lot about this game’s success and future right there…

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

but the second example is trying to survive and it’s not unethical in any way whatsoever

“Trying to survive.” Think about that. Says a lot about this game’s success and future right there…

As far as am I’m concerned, if this keeps up, it won’’t be much of one.

As it stands, I think this should be ANet’s new theme song.

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

Mike O is trying to PR you, of course he is going to tell you it is a tough decision. It doesn’t mean you should believe it. He has 70 developers working on the next half-finished expansion. Clearly he has written off this one already.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

This was a decision that makes sense. Legendary weapons, no matter how awesome, have a very low impact on the game’s activities.

Legendary weapons

BrotherBelial.3094

Over the few, not necessarily. At the expense of the few, if you are one of the many, than absolutely.

I mostly play PvE, and I’m play mostly for the story of the game, I use to enjoy dungeons, WvW never really intreated me, and PvP, I played it because I wanted the finishers and after the dungeon reward scaling it was the easiest way to get gear to gear up my new characters I made at HoT launch or shortly after. So I’m not a serious WvW player or a PvP player, or a raider or a fractal runner. I’m a story guy with a bit of PvE, some would say that needs the least help I the current mess. But I want them to fix PvP and WvW as well as everything else they’ve messed up, and if that means legendary weapons need to go on hold for an undetermined length of time, so be it. Maybe once those modes are in a better place and people are happy once again, legendary weapons will be worked on once again, and everyone can be happy. That is what I hope will happen. Selfish of me I know.

Edit: I didn’t snip that last bit out your edited it after I started my reply. No I didn’t think the legendary team was holding anything back, but with that said, we do not know the skill set those people have so we do not know how much help they will bring to “other projects” and we will probably never know. But if those peoples skill sets could help speed up fixes or what ever to the troubled parts of the game, then it is the right call. But we will never know the full skill sets of the people working on what, that includes the 70 working on expansion 2. They could all be artist for all we know, or on the flip they could be programmers, we will never know.

(edited by BrotherBelial.3094)

Legendary weapons

Ticky.5831

I can’t stop you from telling yourself what you want to hear, but I’m not going to validate you.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: cptaylor.2670

cptaylor.2670

I think that’s one thing that needs to be addressed though. There is far too much focus on meta events that reward keys and chests and bags that only grant you a measly green or blue item with a guaranteed rare here and there. It’s so unrewarding to the point that people are either only doing it to salvage for make gold to buy something they actually want whether it be ascended items or legendary items, (or to convert to gems to be able to buy an actual shiny new weapon skin/armor set), or they’re strategically sending it to a low level character to salvage for the same reasons.

It’s a little discouraging that all of these events reward nothing but things you can salvage or at best mystic forge and have a dismal chance of getting something good from.

Perhaps that’s what’s planned with this april update. Who knows. They’ve been deathly silent on what this april update is actually supposed to do in terms of “better rewards.”

But it would certainly be nice if the default action for many people wasn’t to send 50 champion bags to a low level character to work the trading post as their “end game.”

Doesn’t seem like it’s working as intended.

As it stands I think that’s the major reason why these legendaries are so important to people. They’re a guaranteed way of reaching something new and visually appealing without spending real life money to get via the gemstore or gold and buying the skin off the trading post.

In general my big complaint with Guild Wars 2 is that the obtainable in-game armor sets and variations of those and weapons is dismal and not updated for free nearly as much as it should be. I know that’s how they make a majority of their gem sales, by outfits and armor sets that are unique, but they could certainly do a much better job creating more in-game obtainable sets that give players incentive and something to work towards.

Legendary weapons

Celtic Lady.3729

Trying to say that legendary weapons are niche content that almost no one does is simply ridiculous and a faslehood. A casual romp through the game itself and all the people with their legendaries is proof that this content is, in fact, widely used.

Legendary weapons have always been considered “endgame” content in a game where there is no traditional endgame content. It was content that was supposed to keep people busy long term. It’s a big part of the game. The announcement of new legendaries was very well received and highly anticipated.

The only reason people are saying it doesn’t matter anymore, from what I can tell, is because Anet suddenly needs this content to be unused due to their recent decision and fanboys everywhere need this content to be unused because they need to keep supporting the game’s decisions for some reason I’ll never understand.

But this point of view is very new. Legendaries have always been considered core content and widely used before the infamous announcement.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

A few content release stats since Hot went Live:

Gemstore:
Back packs 7
Gliders 12
Outfits 6
Appearance sets 3
Mini 13
Utility 4

Black Lion weapon sets 8

There have been no new armor sets since Hot released with only 3 when it was, no in game Gliders, 1 soon to be released Legendary all others cancelled, 2 almost impossible to get shoulders, 5 Halloween skins, 3 back packs.

No NEW maps or LS or Festivals or events discounting the paid for Xpac since January 2015.

No new playable content until August/Sep 2016.

Staff supposedly working on current and backlog content paid for as part of HoT: 120
Staff working a new Xpac when the present paid for one has yet to be completed: 70
Staff taken off one agreed part of Hot to help complete another: 6
Staff working on gemstore and other money spinning areas out of the 120?

I have to agree on some level.

They have an AMA & talk about how it’s so hard & time consuming to make armor right after they went steam ahead on hyper expensive Gemstore skins pumping them out at a record pace right after the expac that has pathetically paltry rewards. Then they say it was a significantly sized expac. If they can’t admit that HoT was not worth the cost or that they are extremely stingy on rewards or that their Gem Store items (the only way to get most of the rewards added to the game) are extremely expensive, then I don’t know what to say. It’s way out of touch.

Legendary weapons

Morfedel.4165

Mike O is trying to PR you, of course he is going to tell you it is a tough decision. It doesn’t mean you should believe it. He has 70 developers working on the next half-finished expansion. Clearly he has written off this one already.

So, what, you think this is actually some kind of Machiavellian plot and they don’t have a good reason whatsoever for this decision and they are just, what, screwing with us or something?

Legendary weapons

Morfedel.4165

Do you honestly believe any of the Anet staff is in mortal peril?

Keep in mind, neither the game nor the corporation are living entities with consciousness. I think you are mistakenly projecting human survival ethics onto non-living constructs.

The really is no reason to get pedantic about this, you know what I meant.

Legendary weapons

BrotherBelial.3094

I can’t stop you from telling yourself what you want to hear, but I’m not going to validate you.

You mean you can’t argue with something that makes sense. I’m not saying I’m right, I’m not saying your wrong. What I’m saying is time will tell if Mo made the right call.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

So, what, you think this is actually some kind of Machiavellian plot and they don’t have a good reason whatsoever for this decision and they are just, what, screwing with us or something?

Machiavellian? No. Charles Montgomery Plantagenet Shicklgruber Burns plot? Yes. It could be as simple as NCsoft saying; hey this thing you’re doing, called legendaries, our forecast is that it won’t really make us any more revenue, better to have those 6 talented staff working on gemstore products instead.

5 minutes later
Mike O Brien: “GUYS, IT WAS A HARD DECISION”.

Legendary weapons

BrotherBelial.3094

Machiavellian? No. Charles Montgomery Plantagenet Shicklgruber Burns plot? Yes. It could be as simple as NCsoft saying; hey this thing you’re doing, called legendaries, our forecast is that it won’t really make us any more revenue, better to have those 6 talented staff working on gemstore products instead.

5 minutes later
Mike O Brien: “GUYS, IT WAS A HARD DECISION”.

I though ANet was self published theses days, and NCsoft where just the money men? Or have I been misinformed on this?