Lessons learned

Lessons learned

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

Hey there,

I’m a bit disappointed by this statement:

Our Wintersday event was an example of applying a lot of the lessons learned from the earlier events to ensure we create content that is inclusive, community driven, and most importantly fun. From Wintersday, we discovered still more areas we can improve for future world events to make them even more exciting.

If the wintersday event was an example of lessons learned, then i’d like these lessons to be forgotten. It was by far the worst event GW2 has seen so far. Now i do understand that with the holidays it’s not always that easy to do an event, but there were allot of mistakes made that could have been avoided, toypocalyps, presents killing low lvl peeps, frustration when other people open presents on top of you, the kitten length… I was really happy the day lions arch returned back to normal.

If anything, the haloween event should be the one to learn from, not to long, good content, pve and pvp content and loot. Fun outdoor events that could be done at any lvl, a good jumping puzzle (no easy mode), a fun minidungeon, cool rewards, cool skins, people could do everything together…
And then lost shores, the events in that one were epic, and should maybe be repeatable (but only get reward once or smth).

I feel the danger that instead of making an event that has content for any kind of player, it may go down the path that any kind of player needs to be able to do all the content in an event(wich is absolute …., i want content that i’m not able to do, cause there are people on a higher lvl then me) and with wintersday being considered the standard i fear there will be no more content aimed at me in future events.
Wintersday was just bland and boring, and tbh i didn’t feel much like doing anything of it, i finished almost everything that event had to offer in an hour, and then did the same dungeon again for a few days… And to conclude the “big finale” i did once, finished it, didn’t do it again cause i couldn’t event go in with a guild group.

Wintersday didn’t show the lessons learned from Haloween and Lost shores. I seriously hope this is not the path events will follow in the future. I was excited and had fun with Haloween and Lost Shores, i have allot of good memories from those events. I was bored and annoyed by wintersday, and there is nothing to take from it for me.

BTW everything else sounds pretty exciting.

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

(edited by Fox.3469)

Lessons learned

Posted by: Henqquli.5078

Henqquli.5078

This event was great. Every level character was able to do it. That’s how it should be.
No limits for low levels.

Sure it wasn’t perfect, but it shows that ANET is going at right way with events.

Lessons learned

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I think this is just a matter of taste.
I skipped Halloween because I found it intrusive and annoying, The Lost shores was so broken and the time limit/ lag made it a nightmare.
I loved Wintersday though.
I can easily see what they learnt:
Varied content so that people can choose,
Relaxing, fun content as well as more challenging content,
No more one time events that many can’t attend.
Including more cities in the event.
Fun stuff you can get by just participating..
I could really go on but I don’t think you will agree with me.

Gunnar’s Hold

Lessons learned

Fox.3469

This event was great. Every level character was able to do it. That’s how it should be.

Sure it wasn’t perfect, but it shows that ANET is going at right way with events.

Uhu every lvl character was able to do a few minigames, but that was all the event was, no quests, no events, no nothing, there are minigames in the game already, like keg brawl, i don’t see how these contribute to the event. They took the “event” part out just to make sure everyone could do everything… I don’t see what is wrong with doing stuff that is actually worth doing for people above lvl 10.

Lessons learned

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

I skipped most of it, the only thing l did was open the boxes scattered about, and sell the contents.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Lessons learned

Henqquli.5078

Uhu every lvl character was able to do a few minigames, but that was all the event was, no quests, no events, no nothing, there are minigames in the game already, like keg brawl, i don’t see how these contribute to the event. They took the “event” part out just to make sure everyone could do everything… I don’t see what is wrong with doing stuff that is actually worth doing for people above lvl 10.

Do you know what event means?

1. something that happens at a given place and time
2. a special set of circumstances
3. a phenomenon located at a single point in space-time; the fundamental observational entity in relativity theory
4. a phenomenon that follows and is caused by some previous phenomenon

Lessons learned

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

So you are not happy since they didnt threw precursors at your feet, is that it?
Events are there so you could have some fun in spirit of seasson, not so you could get rich in 3 days…

Lessons learned

Fox.3469

Varied content so that people can choose,

Great, where was my choice then? I didn’t find anything that i really enjoyed. Oh wait, i choose to play with my guild, since this is an mmo… Guess not…

Relaxing, fun content as well as more challenging content,

There was no challenge, seriously… the hardest thing to do, with a lvl 80, was opening presents in starting zones…

No more one time events that many can’t attend.

And no more epic tales to go with them, the event was fine, it was awesome, it should just have run for a few days like twice a day, like a resetting instance, while only being able to get the reward once.

Including more cities in the event.

To what purpose exactly? This didn’t add anything but travel cost.

Fun stuff you can get by just participating..

Yes rewards to everyone that walks into lions arch, but then again, it made the rewards from actually doing something even worse.

I could really go on but I don’t think you will agree with me.

Indeed i don’t.

So you are not happy since they didnt threw precursors at your feet, is that it?
Events are there so you could have some fun in spirit of seasson, not so you could get rich in 3 days…

I already have my precursor, and i don’t care about being rich, but i do care about general lack of purpose doing these things. Haloween had stuff for everyone, it had minigames, a jp, a questline, a zone to do events in, fun open world events (not suicidal) and a dungeon, almost all of it wich i COULD do with my guild. Why isn’t that the lesson? I bought this game to be an mmo, not mario party 3…

I’d even say this isn’t even good for casuals, allot of the people in my guild are not into the game the way i am, most of our guild is based of casuals. Now i can tell you for a fact that there were allot of people struggling with having to learn all new skills or mechanics for every minigame, this in fact stopped people in my guild from getting into the snowball fights or the toypocalyps. People actually want to do stuff with the skills they have learned to play with. Giving us different skill bars for one thing may be fun, but this is not for everyone, and in Wintersday there really was an overkill of not playing with your own class abilities.

(edited by Fox.3469)

Lessons learned

Henqquli.5078

You didnt pay for event. It was free, nobody forced you to do it. Why complain.

Lessons learned

Fox.3469

If you have nothing to say why comment? Nobody forced you to do it. So why do it?

I care and i’m looking to the future, wintersday is over, i’m just talking about the comment they made about wintersday being what they learned, and i’m complimenting them on the better events, haloween and lost shores, events i actually happely spend money on. I didn’t spend anything on wintersday. I’m concerned the GW2 future would actually not hold events i’d like to spend my money on, wich is both bad for the company and for me.

Lessons learned

Henqquli.5078

So in other words you want something that only lvl 80 can do?

Lessons learned

Posted by: infrequentia.3465

infrequentia.3465

the only thing you couldn’t do with the guild/friends was Toypocalypse the rest could be all done with friends
you mention jp and mini games?
wintersday had those.
not suicidal open world event?
i remember the doors from halloween? THOSE could be suicidal
fun mini dungeon?
Tixx was alot of fun and GUESS WHAT
there where ’’events’’ in there
bell choir and present hunt? a fun mini game and pvp
but hey if thats not enough why bother even posting about and just leave

“If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried.”

Lessons learned

Posted by: knyy.6427

knyy.6427

no, but more challenging content – and the possibility to experience it with my friends and not some randoms!

Lessons learned

Posted by: Fabsm.5897

Fabsm.5897

All can be shrink in one statement:

“I didn’t find anything that i really enjoyed.”

And that’s a good, personal statement, but so it’s:

“I enjoyed everything of it.”

Technically, the event were very good, you could access them from Lion’s Arch, they were instanced in the right way (Jumping puzzle, for example, was doable everytime, instead of logging sunday morning to not meet the darn Norns and Charrs), they were different in style (a Capture the Flag SPVP) or in fun terms (Bell Maestro) and while you could not having enjoyed the rewards, there were nevertheless, unique skins, recipes and toys.

So, while i respect your personal opinion of the events, i think you can admit that there were people who liked to “enter the Wintersday/Christmas spirit” and enjoyed doing even the most frolicking events.

Not all the events are epic or world-threatening… but that doesnt mean they couldn’t be enjoyable.

Fabsm
Guardian of Moonlight Shadow [MLS]

Lessons learned

Fox.3469

I want events in an MMO to focus on MMO stuff. That’s right, i want to play together with the guild and if possible i want to be challenged in some parts, even while being 80.
Why shouldn’t events be about taking down bosses and stuff like that? Why this forced playing another skillbar then your own with almost all the stuff there is to do? GW2 is a massive multiplayer online RPG and should focus on being just that the best it can. A fun side activity is cool when it is a fun side activity, and not the main content for an mmo.

All can be shrink in one statement:

“I didn’t find anything that i really enjoyed.”

And that’s a good, personal statement, but so it’s:

“I enjoyed everything of it.”

Technically, the event were very good, you could access them from Lion’s Arch, they were instanced in the right way (Jumping puzzle, for example, was doable everytime, instead of logging sunday morning to not meet the darn Norns and Charrs), they were different in style (a Capture the Flag SPVP) or in fun terms (Bell Maestro) and while you could not having enjoyed the rewards, there were nevertheless, unique skins, recipes and toys.

So, while i respect your personal opinion of the events, i think you can admit that there were people who liked to “enter the Wintersday/Christmas spirit” and enjoyed doing even the most frolicking events.

Not all the events are epic or world-threatening… but that doesnt mean they couldn’t be enjoyable.

And they don’t have to be, but it wouldn’t hurt to let people actually play the game.

Now let me make one thing clear: I DIDN’T MIND WINTERSDAY, i really didn’t. I didn’t like it very much but i guessed it would just be because of the holidays and that it’s an lighthearted event to have some content in december wich focusses more on fun and games. What people seem to miss is what i said in the first post.

I mind that Collin says: "Our Wintersday event was an example of applying a lot of the lessons learned from the earlier events to ensure we create content that is inclusive, community driven, and most importantly fun. "

This implies they think wintersday is an improvement to the previous events, and not just a one time thing. And with this statement i strongly disagree. I want events like haloween and lost shores to still happen in the world, and i don’t want wintersday to be the new standard they go by, cause in the aspect of looking at an MMO and adding actual MMO-Content the lost shores and halloween were way way better.

(edited by Fox.3469)

Lessons learned

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

I agree with you. Play their way or dont play at all/ expect content.
The only thing I did of the content so far was the the book hunt and open world present boxes.
They choose not to validate the way I play or entice me to continue on for the events.
I have found the “free” (which is a lie – they use it to sell gems to make money and isnt free it is just others supporting the cost) to be of no relevance to me and nothing a challenge or satisfactory. I cant play my way they made sure to nerf that and my real hope is that they actually take this feedback to heart.

Lessons learned

Posted by: spiritus.7983

spiritus.7983

Never care about hallowin and lost shores event but in wintersday at least I did the 5 trixx dungeons

Evil, GH -Charr rule.
A Skritt is dumb. A group of Skritt are smart.
A Human is smart. A group of Humans are idiots.

Lessons learned

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

There were elements in each of the events that were fun for me, and elements in each of the events that were not fun for me.

My one big overall complaint remains: I don’t enjoy the community jumping puzzles. I don’t like having to wait for everyone else to finish or fail before I can try again.

The table is a fable.

Lessons learned

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

1st GW2 is not F2P, every single player paid about 50 euro. Thats is about 3 million times 50. That is some nice money. Then you don’t know how much gems the OP bought, so you don’t really know if he paid for the event or not. Maybe he paid for you doing the event, could well be.

MMOs are business, no body does anything for free.

Lessons learned

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

What lessons are learned? He says lessons learned but doesn’t clearly specify this this and this was wrong, or did he?

Lessons learned

Fox.3469

i’m just concerned, since they seem to be telling us that winterday was better.

As to the supporting, i actively supported the halloween and lost shores event with money, i didn’t for the wintersday and i won’t for any style of event that resembles the wintersday event.

Lessons learned

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

First of all thank you for such constructive feedback about the blog post, we really appreciate it.

However, for a better overview about that, please use the dedicated sticky here : Colin Johanson Video: GW2 2013 Preview

This thread is now closed, thank you for your understanding.