Let's talk "mentor".

Let's talk "mentor".

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

re: someone in map chat just asked how he activates his mentor tag. / What a mentor that is…. – I don’t know whether I consider that more funny or more sad. It is some delicious irony, though.

Well, i told him to ask his mentor.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I can’t help but feel some of you guys picked up Commander Tags for all the wrong reasons.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Blainy.4718

Blainy.4718

I can’t help but feel some of you guys picked up Commander Tags for all the wrong reasons.

I bought mine so I could lead world events in HoT and also lead in WvW.

Commander tags are needed in Dragon’s Stand – which you guys would know if you had gotten that far yet.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

re: Mentor should be a UI screen – This is a good idea, except new players would probably have trouble figuring out how to use it. Maybe if Anet ever figures out how to do decent tutorial they could walk people through getting Mentor help. I really do like the idea.

Well, they “tried” but their attempt was… kittened… yes I’m looking at you NPE >.>

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

It’s so nice to see how Anet is doing to help new players… [sarcasm self-test disabled] they lure new people by giving core game along HoT as well opening it for free, but then their “first impression” and “welcoming” mechanics are such a fiasco… look what happened to NPE and now they are trying to encourage vet players to “mentor” new players… oh boy… surely there are a lot of ppl out there really willing to help, but I can see how this “feature” can go wrong… (yeah I have seen about 6 or so players running around Mad King’s Labyrinth with those Mentor tags -_-)

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Amenaza.8346

Amenaza.8346

This.

It also should be blatantly obvious for anyone that the commander was designed for WvW when looking at the whole squad system, icons, commands (supplyinfo / squadinfo). It also costs WvW-only currency. The instances in PvE where a comm would actually be required are few and most of the time require additional coordination anyway (triple trouble). Don’t believe me? Tag up at teq and command wrong on purpose – lets see how many players will actually follow you and how many will tell you to kitten off and win the event on their own.

The ability to mark a group’s location on the map can be helpful for newer players which alone should not cost 300g (this is why i thenk the mentor in its current implementation is a good idea – better filtering options would be nice though). If you really shelled out 300 gold just for having that in PvE, you were not short of money in the first place and deliberately paid full price for only a fraction of functionality and prestige.

FSP
[echo]
I do not speak in the name of my guild

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: StaticX.7695

StaticX.7695

I just wish they worked in instances. I don’t wanna spend 300g so my little asura tank can be visible to my party during Mai Trin =P

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

I bought mine so I could lead world events in HoT and also lead in WvW.

Commander tags are needed in Dragon’s Stand – which you guys would know if you had gotten that far yet.

Thank goodness there is you, and your tag.

This one is for you:

Attachments:

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Mushuchalaka.9437

Mushuchalaka.9437

Is the Mentor tag able to be distinctive(color,ect?). In my opinion, they should have different tags for different zones,fractals,ect, requiring a specific achievement. They can charge us too dividing up the 300 gold.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Maris.3164

Maris.3164

Well…. You still need that commander tag for raids so I’d say that makes it more valuable than the mentor badge. I regret not buying a commander tag when they were just 100g.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

re: Mentor Tags should only work in Starter/low level areas – I’ve seen people that need mentoring in higher level areas, even in Orr.

What is hilarious is when you run into someone with a ‘been there done that’ tag in a high level area doing something like AFKing where you quickly figure out a lot of mobs spawn at. Hyranthi Hinterlands, Sparkfly Fen, the far side of the Straits of Devastation …. these are not places a low level would reach by accident, it also does not explain how they would get that tag.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

I don’t mind that we have these so much as I mind that we can’t FILTER them out of our maps. This goes back to the same complaint many made about commander tags, once they were getting common and you’d see many of them on a single map.

Now absolutely EVERYBODY has the ability to tag up, cluster up, and cover up the map.

Can we just have a map option to turn them off, filter them by color, filter them by guild, filter them by friends list, something? Otherwise all we have is yet another way for large numbers of people to seek attention to the detriment of immersion and gameplay.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

Maybe a requirement of 100% map completion to be able to enable mentor tag on this map?

If you didn’t completed Kessex, no mentoring in Kessex.
If you completed Metrica, you can mentoring in Metrica.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

Personally I think Commander tags should only be used in PvP (WvW) and Mentor tags should only be used in PvE. Disable the use of Commander tags in PvE and Mentor tags in PvP. That would clear up most of the confusion between the two right there.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

These things are getting out of control:

http://i.imgur.com/zyVFoZq.png

The tag needs to be removed entirely, or only be allowed in starter zones.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I think the mentor tags are a good addition but I’d second the request to have an option to filter/hide them in PVE (including Comm tags too)
I’d like a choice of:

- Show All
- Hide All
- Show Only The One I am Following (not sure how you’d select it…)

Let's talk "mentor".

Menadena.7482

Maybe a requirement of 100% map completion to be able to enable mentor tag on this map?

I very STRONGLY vote no.

I know all the the things on a map a person being tutored would need to know. I can NOT complete most of the vistas, which are like mini jumping puzzles to me. I am fine with not having 100% map/world completion (except for missing out on the mastery point) but I should not be penalized for not having done what are often essentially jumping puzzles by another name. I am a mentor in another game (and was even part of their official mentor program while they had one) so know a bit more about what new players do and how to help them than someone that runs around doing maps by rote.

Let's talk "mentor".

Menadena.7482

On the plus side, not too many low levels would get to that side of the map in Southsun.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: knivestv.6738

knivestv.6738

I would very much like an option to turn off visibility of the tags when I don’t require help from a mentor.

Thank you

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: DaniTheHero.6318

DaniTheHero.6318

like it or not, bragging rights do exist. There is no justified reason to give the FREE tag better design(bigger scale,nicer tag,chat title)

Bragging Right? Nw you are over your head mister. After 3 Years almost everyone has a Comm TAG? Do you think you are special because you farmed cute 300 gold? Seriously?

I would like to have a report option for Commanders too. There are so many uncapable Players with Tags out there it hurts to watch them command. Most of the time they use the zerg to self profit anyway.

So you’re complaining about incapable commanders. At-least getting the tag doesn’t take an instant.300G isn’t a walk in the park for casual play and isn’t worth your money if you just want to buy it for the bragging rights.

The mentor tag is free and takes you 15 minutes to get, so if incapable commanders are your issue, the mentor system only makes it worse.

Let's talk "mentor".

DoctorDing.5890

Of course, some players who get the mentor tag will not have done so knowingly because it’s the default mastery track for Tyria.
I did the first HoT mission and already had enough mastery XP for the first tier. One click in the shiny, new and not entirely clear mastery window and Oops! Pact commander rank 1. With a tag and everything.

If anyone needs any mentoring about how you should read stuff in the mastery UI before clicking on anything then I’m your man. Just let me turn on my tag and you can come find me…

Even if you do pay attention to the options, Pact commander mastery may well be the best choice for many players. I don’t do fractals and I am unlikely to ever craft anything legendary which just leaves Pact Commander for a few general purpose buffs. But my tag will probably stay firmly in my pocket.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I have seen the same thing, but with Commander tags.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Nevermore.5487

Nevermore.5487

On the mini map the mentor tag is bigger and better designed,so if i was a new player and didnt know better id follow the mentor and not the com

So it works exactly like it is designed to.

So it was designed to kitten over any com outside of WVW? Seems pretty fair.

No….new players will follow a mentor and experienced players will follow a commander….

Let's talk "mentor".

DoctorDing.5890

What’s the difference between a Red commander tag or a mentor tag .

About 300g and a shedload of bitterness.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

like it or not, bragging rights do exist. There is no justified reason to give the FREE tag better design(bigger scale,nicer tag,chat title)

Bragging Right? Nw you are over your head mister. After 3 Years almost everyone has a Comm TAG? Do you think you are special because you farmed cute 300 gold? Seriously?

I would like to have a report option for Commanders too. There are so many uncapable Players with Tags out there it hurts to watch them command. Most of the time they use the zerg to self profit anyway.

So you’re complaining about incapable commanders. At-least getting the tag doesn’t take an instant.300G isn’t a walk in the park for casual play and isn’t worth your money if you just want to buy it for the bragging rights.

The mentor tag is free and takes you 15 minutes to get, so if incapable commanders are your issue, the mentor system only makes it worse.

Not for casuals you say. One can just buy gems and trade them for gold and buy it. If that’s your point. People can earn it and be terrible commanders as well.

Sounds like you are angry for spending 300g. Grow up. Entitled much? Really. On top of that Anet said they would add more features exclusive for commanders. Wait and see.

They are only upgrading the Squad system, which we already understand doesn’t effect PVE one bit. Any player (Which is the big majority) that bought Commander for PVE use’s is completely ripped out of his money. What’s the difference between a Red commander tag or a mentor tag pointing out a stupid stack points in Teq?

Complete ripoff.

Got both, don’t care. Haven’t heard a single complaint from any of the people in guild that have tags either.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

I feel ripped off that when I finally saved 100g for a tag it went to 300g, but that’s the breaks. Get over it.

The 100G tag was for one character, while the 300G is account wide. Your example doesn’t make sense.

this is incorrect. I paid 100g when I first got mine, and never bought more for additional toons. Now I can use it on any player. They grandfathered the people who originally bought it. So it does make sense, just not to EVERY single person, and only to those who bought it after.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

3. Eventually, only the people who actually want to mentor will mentor, or those who want to lead a train/zerg in the absence of anyone with a commander tag.

….

I am hopeful that this is correct. In spite of trolling and “showing off”, the mentor tag is actually a pretty nice idea. It could use some polish, like the option for the tag to only appear to party members (and I admit that coding that might be rather involved), but the idea behind the design is a good one, and good mentors will be able to make use of it.
Time will tell, but it would be nice if things do eventually settle down to where they are generally used by individuals who genuinely want to help.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Let's talk "mentor".

Menadena.7482

As long as people use the mentor tag it was intended once the novelty wears off, and not as an e-kittycat, things will work out.

I purchased mine to help in mentoring and do not regret having it. Now I also use it to help with events, where it is appropriate since we have the mentor tags for my original use.

As I noticed someone mentioning earlier, I am one of those who bought gems to get it. Not because I could not save up the gold, but because I wanted to keep my cost for it separate from everything else (so I bought as close to the right amount of gems as possible). So people do not always go that route for nefarious purposes. Plus you still need to do a little WVW content.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

I like my mentor title, It’s pretty & apples are healthy. I also give out advice to new & veteran players on HoT events. Yes, I get harassed when I wear it- people blocking me just because I have it, but people are always trying to find something to hate against, it’s the world we live in.

I also think the WvW commander tags need an upgrade!

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: They are only upgrading the Squad system, which we already understand doesn’t effect PVE one bit. – No, this is a *mis*understanding, Some people are either unwilling or unable to comprehend. But can you at least understand that this enhanced functionality will only apply to Commander Tags, not Mentor Tags? So then there will be even more difference.

re: What’s the difference between a Red commander tag or a mentor tag pointing out a stupid stack points in Teq? – There’s a ton of difference. Which (once again) some people seem unable or unwilling to comprehend. Probably because they just bought a Commander Tag as a vanity tag. So for people who bought Commander Tags as vanity tags, there is no practical difference. But they still paid for it, and got even more than what they thought they were getting. The fact that they haven’t used the extra functionality is no one’s fault but their own.
I suspect that in the new PvE content, Commander Tags will be greatly beneficial when there’s a high level of organization required, and chat suppression sets in. It may be that players will finally benfit from forming squads in PvE. But people who just wanted a vanity tag paid for much more than they’re actually using. Once again, they paid that cost of their own free will. For something that they were using in a way other than what was intended.
If you buy a car just to use the AC to stay cool sitting in your front yard during the Summer, don’t be angry when your neighbor sits in his front yard being cooled by a $20 box fan. You bought the car for the wrong reason.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

So what is the actual solution here? Would people who just wanted vanity tags be happy(or less unhappy) with a refund of their 100 or 300 gold?

What if the Mentor Tag and overhead icon were simpler? I’d prefer if the Mentor icon was a simple white/transparent circle with a lowercase “i” in it. Or just the lowercase “i”, if the circle/“i” combo is too complex for map icon display. And Mentor Tags should definitely not be in a color that Commander Tags can use. Would that make the Mentor Tag/Icon “uncool” enough for you to justify the 100 or 300 gold spent on what amounts to an over-priced vanity tag? I’m seriously asking.

I’d prefer if they made a free vanity tag, which you got after completion of the level 10 block of Personal Story, or for some other early goal in PvP or WvW. But all tags would have check boxes in the options menu, so each player would be able to see or hide any of the tag types at their option.

(edited by Elden Arnaas.4870)

Let's talk "mentor".

DaniTheHero.6318

So what is the actual solution here? Would people who just wanted vanity tags be happy(or less unhappy) with a refund of their 100 or 300 gold?

What if the Mentor Tag and overhead icon were simpler? I’d prefer if the Mentor icon was a simple white/transparent circle with a lowercase “i” in it. Or just the lowercase “i”, if the circle/“i” combo is too complex for map icon display. And Mentor Tags should definitely not be in a color that Commander Tags can use. Would that make the Mentor Tag/Icon “uncool” enough for you to justify the 100 or 300 gold spent on what amounts to an over-priced vanity tag? I’m seriously asking.

I’d prefer if they made a free vanity tag, which you got after completion of the level 10 block of Personal Story, or for some other early goal in PvP or WvW. But all tags would have check boxes in the options menu, so each player would be able to see or hide any of the tag types at their option.

There is no excuse to make the Free version better designed than the original payed version. You can sugar coat it all you want and try to switch into different arguments, but that point still stands.

Vanity is a factor, There is no logical reason to give the free version that EVERYONE can get within 15 minutes better design.
Either make the Mentor tag small/uglier. Or actually make the commanders more impressive.

When you’re a new player and walk into a map that has one mentor and one red commander tag. You’d most likely assume the ‘Original/Better’ one would be the mentor.
It’s much easier to notice. bigger in size, and arguably better designed.
Also, a guy talking next to you having a chat title,A feature NOBODY has aside from devs. REALLY?

And again, The Squad upgrades are AMAZING, and a happy addition. But don’t benefit PVE commanders one bit.You simply don’t use Squad chat for anything aside from Triple trouble.

(edited by DaniTheHero.6318)

Let's talk "mentor".

DaniTheHero.6318

What if i originally got my Tag for the same use’s a mentor tag gives out now? What if i don’t Go into WvW leading a 250 player zerg? There was no mentor tag for 3 Years. The commander served more than one purpose and therefor people got the tag for different reasons. Now 90% of the uses can be done for free with the mentor tag.
Of course i’d feel cheated. At-least make them harder to get, make them the last pact mastery not the first. Make them only appear at low level zones if you trully need to help “new players”. Make it take more than a 15 minutes event chain with 0 payment.
Something.

(edited by DaniTheHero.6318)

Let's talk "mentor".

DaniTheHero.6318

I like my mentor title, It’s pretty & apples are healthy. I also give out advice to new & veteran players on HoT events. Yes, I get harassed when I wear it- people blocking me just because I have it, but people are always trying to find something to hate against, it’s the world we live in.

I also think the WvW commander tags need an upgrade!

You can’t be serious.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Maris.3164

Maris.3164

I think this is a great idea. I support this.

Let's talk "mentor".

DaniTheHero.6318

I think this is a great idea. I support this.

Anything that limits the use of mentor tag is +1 from me.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Elear.8459

Elear.8459

Maybe some people got Mentor for ‘mentoring’, maybe. But at this moment Mentor is just poor man Commander. I’m yet to see any ‘mentor’ actually helping someone unless you count leading event train as helping. Sure, someone maybe does. But the point is – everyone running with Mentor and not helping makes people not percieve it as indicator of someone willing to help, essentially destroying it’s purpose.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I have both tags, and the mentoring one doesn’t bother me. Yeah, everyone will have one, but it will take no time at all for people to figure out that a com tag ultimately carries more weight. Also, these tags are new. Eventually, when the shiny wears off, you won’t see them all that much as people neglect to use them since they don’t mean as much.

Time, imo, will solve most of these problems on its own.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Rinn.2375

Rinn.2375

I don’t think this is an issue. I lead several zerg in the Labyrinth because there are no commanders when you need one. Also when I turned off my Mentor tag and say goodbye to the zerg usually – and interestingly – a commander just pop up and lead the zerg further.
It’s cheap, but I think it’s intended. I think the Mentor system is not for lead the big events, but “lead”/tutor/mentor/organize the new players with free accounts who have no chance to get the Mentor badge. The “full accounts”[sic] know that it’s cheap and they’ll follow the Commander.
It just helps when there is no commander. I saw it in the Labyrinth multiple times.

(edit: minor typos)

Ad astra per asperas

(edited by Rinn.2375)

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

The apples have to go, it’s that simple. It serves no purpose at all. The idea might have been good but leaving it up to the people to decide whether they are fit for mentoring is a bad decision.

Let's talk "mentor".

Menadena.7482

There is no excuse to make the Free version better designed than the original payed version. You can sugar coat it all you want and try to switch into different arguments, but that point still stands.

Vanity is a factor, There is no logical reason to give the free version that EVERYONE can get within 15 minutes better design.
Either make the Mentor tag small/uglier. Or actually make the commanders more impressive.

When you’re a new player and walk into a map that has one mentor and one red commander tag. You’d most likely assume the ‘Original/Better’ one would be the mentor.
It’s much easier to notice. bigger in size, and arguably better designed.
Also, a guy talking next to you having a chat title,A feature NOBODY has aside from devs. REALLY?

And again, The Squad upgrades are AMAZING, and a happy addition. But don’t benefit PVE commanders one bit.You simply don’t use Squad chat for anything aside from Triple trouble.

So there you have it, the whole reason is to get a ‘better looking’ tag. You say vanity is a factor, it should never be. If you got the commander tag to actually command you could give a hoot how it looked compared to other tags.

As to the squad changes, it has some serious problems as-is. The biggest one for me is I can not organize an event and join a pre-existing party (which, yes, I need to do often). No, telling them to disband and join my squad is not an option either as they would not be seeing the stats for the other people (or, I assume, even how many if they are bunched up).

BTW, the complaint that a new player would go to the better looking tag is confusing since it sounds like you are saying mentor’s tags look better. I would rather have new players (and any players with questions) coming to me when I am wearing a mentor tag and vets coming to me when I am, oh, commanding.

The two tags are not interchangeable. Yes, they both put an icon on the map and over your head. Actually, I would like to see small dots for everyone, just as you now do for people in your guild, party, and I think squad. It can be tremendously handy for situations like trying to find the current thing on a map when nobody is tagged up.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Browrain.7346

Browrain.7346

I hope they completely remove commander tag from PvE. You “command” solely in wvw. That was its original purpose. Spending 300g doesn’t mean you deserve more vanity points in pve than anyone else, including mentors.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Gimli.9461

Gimli.9461

I DEMAND this filthy tag be removable from my screen. Add an option IMMEDIATELY :P to not see this information bureau nonsense, because you already got me kittened on so many other fronts, I can’t even list them on 100 lines.

PS: also add option to not see commander tags, but make them 2 separate options.
PPS: stop putting non-stop humming in azura cities (eg Rata Novus story) as your background noise because it drives me nuts.

Let's talk "mentor".

Menadena.7482

I hope they completely remove commander tag from PvE. You “command” solely in wvw. That was its original purpose. Spending 300g doesn’t mean you deserve more vanity points in pve than anyone else, including mentors.

Actually, I would object to that as it is of tremendous help in PVE as well. Think big events like Teq. Think finding the zerg in the labyrinth.

What is ideal is if people are not using it when not needed. The rule of thumb I use is if a tag is not helping someone else/the map it should not be on …. full stop. Unfortunately not everyone is that conscientious.

Removing the commander tag from PVE would force the legitimate users of a command tag to use a mentor tag …. which is not appropriate for the situation. If I am fractically trying to organize something I will try to help a person that whispers me with a question but it will not have my attention. So it will frustrate both commanders forced to use a mentor tag and people looking for mentors who contacted a commander. I have both tags. If I am walking around a low level area that either means a mentor tag or none (MAYBE you can make a case for low level bosses, especially the SB pres where people are asking if anyone is doing them). If I am organizing something/leading a zerg that means a commander tag is appropriate.

If someone does not have a commander tag and needs one is the only sticky situation. I would suggest asking someone else in the zerg/nearby to pop a commander tag.

Let's talk "mentor".

Menadena.7482

I DEMAND this filthy tag be removable from my screen. Add an option IMMEDIATELY :P to not see this information bureau nonsense, because you already got me kittened on so many other fronts, I can’t even list them on 100 lines.

PS: also add option to not see commander tags, but make them 2 separate options.
PPS: stop putting non-stop humming in azura cities (eg Rata Novus story) as your background noise because it drives me nuts.

You demand? Yeah, good luck with that. As to the noise, just turn your sound off (yes, I have played that way before and it is possible, everything you really need is in text).

As I keep saying both tags have a reason to exist. I do not see much of a problem with options to turn them off but I expect people not to be using them as much once the novelty wears off. Just like those dragon minis were on almost everyone awhile back but now you rarely see one.

Let's talk "mentor".

DoctorDing.5890

Perhaps we should just call it a tag rather than a mentor tag.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Rinn.2375

Rinn.2375

I think it is not a good thing when you have to spend 300g to be able to help others. I think the 300g prize of the Commander tag is a nonsense too. Why is a power trader be more valid Commander than a highly ranked pvp hero who has no money at all? I don’t get it.

Ad astra per asperas

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

For all those arguing that this should be limited to lvl 40 and lower zones, this was left over in the other thread (in the HoT forum) discussing the same issue:

want an example of it being useful in PvE at higher level?

“I’m going to be doing the vampire HP, does anyone want to come?”

half of the map then responds with a variety of “yes”, “sure”, “FINALLY”, and “sweet! where?”

“I’ll take you from the nearest WP”

I tag up,wait for about 30 people to show up, then lead them to the HP.then I tell them how to do the fight and 4 minutes later 30 more people have another HP done.

now tell me: I was leading, teaching, and guiding on a lv 80 map for players who didn’t know where or how to do that point.

was I not mentoring? was that not an appropriate use of the tag? because I sure as hell felt like a teacher leading a field trip to murder a vampire

your strokes are too broad, people don’t nessecarily understand everything as soon as they hit 41.

As I also stated in the other thread: Mentors exist to teach, to help. Needing help isn’t level restricted. Just because you’re 80 doesn’t mean you don’t have questions, doesn’t mean you know everything.

Have mentor tags been used instead of commander tags, when commanders weren’t present? Yes, and sometimes it’s kitten handy. I’ve seen it save Lab instances from falling apart several times already. I myself have used it to hold a group together after the commander left, and happily tagged down when a new tag popped up.

Are there those that troll and abuse it? Yes; however, at the same time there are those that troll and abuse the commander tags too.

Do I think the commander tag could use a bit of love? Sure. It wouldn’t hurt to give them [Cmd] or something before their name in chat and maybe some type of visual over the players head for easier tracking. I don’t really think the icons are different in size though.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Let's talk "mentor".

Menadena.7482

(enter labyrinth, no tag of any sort on map, nobody around)

/map where is the zerg?

“the northwest corner”

(run there, of course they have moved on)

/map does anyone mind if I put up my commander tag?

(pause, no reply so do so)

People come running back to where I am: “thank you!”

Yes, there is a need for tags. The problem is getting people to see tagging up with either tag as a responsibility rather than as an ego trip. Like when I disconnected the other day while leading the zerg. When I reconnected I saw someone else had tagged up and I was HAPPY to turn my tag off and follow for a change.

Let's talk "mentor".

Posted by: Astry.9476

Astry.9476

I have seen the same thing, but with Commander tags.

I was going to say the same thing… To say that this didn’t or doesn’t happen with commander tags is utterly ridiculous. And it’s sad when everyone’s kittened off because they don’t feel like a special snowflake or something. The commander bit has more tools than the mentor portion. To be honest, I’d rather them just make commander tag available in WvW, and keep the mentor tag in PVE maps, and let it sort itself out.

Really the only kittening and moaning that is prevalent in the thread is people don’t feel special now, and that’s kind of silly. Just my two cents, anyhow.