Lets get some more run speed already

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Darkrayne.5614

Darkrayne.5614

Almost all my character have some kind of speed boost that needs no maintenance whatsoever. I think only my Guardian does not.

Regardless, it sounds like you aren’t really asking for mounts, but just to have the base running speed increased. If so, you might consider abandoning this thread, and placing a post in the Stickied thread, ‘QoL Suggestions’. Mount threads never fare well.

Good luck.

I know there’s passive speed boosts, one way or another. The problem is that your build choices are either limited if you want to make use of them or you have to sacrifice power in some way, such as using traveler runes instead of something else.

I am well aware that those speed boosts can be great in combat. You generally do more DPS if you can get to your target faster. I’m only concerned about out of combat run speed though and I’m not a fan of having to sacrifice ability for convenience. It seems completely unnecessary to me.

And maybe that’s the point. The devs are willing for you to have speed boosts but you have to give something up on your build. Mounts with a speed boost means you can have your speed boost and your power build too.

In essence, you’re asking to have your cake and eat it too. Have speed boosts and the build without speed boosts. And that’s probably why they won’t put mounts with speed boosts in game.

I don’t see how it’s a problem if it only works out of combat though. You see, out of combat I can change my build to get that speed boost and then change it back when I’m done. But that’s redundant and annoying… so why not just make it standard.

You could. But how many people do that and how often. I’d say just about no one does which means my argument still stands. That the reason the devs aren’t going to give us speedy mounts is they want the trade off.

I’m not even asking for ‘speedy’ mounts. Something like a 25% increase to the base out of combat run speed would improve things a lot.

In fact.. most of the stick I’m getting here is because people are dead set on not having mounts so I’m going to edit this title to make it more clear is mostly about the speed.

Since 25% is within the range of speed boosts from skills then you might want to make an argument as to why players should get that 25% speed boost and not have to give up skills, traits, runes or time to switch out.

The argument is that it doesn’t work in combat. Balance and their design isn’t affected in any way when it’s got nothing to do with combat. Disable it in sPvP to keep match flow the same. I think it would be useful in WvW. There’s a lot of dead running in WvW.

(edited by Darkrayne.5614)

Posted by: Bruno.3812

Bruno.3812

Almost all my character have some kind of speed boost that needs no maintenance whatsoever. I think only my Guardian does not.

Regardless, it sounds like you aren’t really asking for mounts, but just to have the base running speed increased. If so, you might consider abandoning this thread, and placing a post in the Stickied thread, ‘QoL Suggestions’. Mount threads never fare well.

Good luck.

I know there’s passive speed boosts, one way or another. The problem is that your build choices are either limited if you want to make use of them or you have to sacrifice power in some way, such as using traveler runes instead of something else.

I am well aware that those speed boosts can be great in combat. You generally do more DPS if you can get to your target faster. I’m only concerned about out of combat run speed though and I’m not a fan of having to sacrifice ability for convenience. It seems completely unnecessary to me.

And maybe that’s the point. The devs are willing for you to have speed boosts but you have to give something up on your build. Mounts with a speed boost means you can have your speed boost and your power build too.

In essence, you’re asking to have your cake and eat it too. Have speed boosts and the build without speed boosts. And that’s probably why they won’t put mounts with speed boosts in game.

I don’t see how it’s a problem if it only works out of combat though. You see, out of combat I can change my build to get that speed boost and then change it back when I’m done. But that’s redundant and annoying… so why not just make it standard.

You could. But how many people do that and how often. I’d say just about no one does which means my argument still stands. That the reason the devs aren’t going to give us speedy mounts is they want the trade off.

I’m not even asking for ‘speedy’ mounts. Something like a 25% increase to the base out of combat run speed would improve things a lot.

In fact.. most of the stick I’m getting here is because people are dead set on not having mounts so I’m going to edit this title to make it more clear is mostly about the speed.

Since 25% is within the range of speed boosts from skills then you might want to make an argument as to why players should get that 25% speed boost and not have to give up skills, traits, runes or time to switch out.

The argument is that it doesn’t work in combat.

After so many years of designing this game and reading the forums, I expect the devs are aware of this. Since it hasn’t moved them to add mounts with speed boosts yet then it might not be a strong enough argument.

Bruno.3812

As a thought experiment, what’s the difference between a (mount out of combat and a power build in combat) and a (speed boost build out of combat and a power build in combat) if the second one could be achieved with a button push to switch you between the two builds?

That’s essentially what the (mount and power build) is. It’s a button to switch you between a speed boost build and a power build.

Posted by: Darkrayne.5614

Darkrayne.5614

As a thought experiment, what’s the difference between a (mount out of combat and a power build in combat) and a (speed boost build out of combat and a power build in combat) if the second one could be achieved with a button push to switch you between the two builds?

That’s essentially what the (mount and power build) is. It’s a button to switch you between a speed boost build and a power build.

Having the ability to switch builds with a keypress would be better than the current situation.

The problem with that though is that if you get attacked whilst running somewhere you’re stuck in your speed build. Depending on the situation that could be a very annoying thing to happen.

Bruno.3812

Having the ability to switch builds with a keypress would be better than the current situation.

The problem with that though is that if you get attacked whilst running somewhere you’re stuck in your speed build. Depending on the situation that could be a very annoying thing to happen.

For the purpose of this analogy I specified out of combat for the speed boost, which meant you wouldn’t get stuck in it in combat.

But that’s undoubtably why mounts with speed boosts are not in game as it give the player a second (out of combat speed boost build) along with his (in combat power build) which would effect gameplay and balance if everyone had all power and no speed trade offs while fighting.

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

I’m of the mind that the insane ability to keep swiftness up indefinitely along with the multitude of ways to get around is already too much. This is a huge world that feels really small because of all this.

Maybe I’m old fashioned.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Good luck.

Considering how much would have to be changed to make the existing speed mechanics unnecessary, I think that Dev time and resources could be used for new content, instead. I’m not a fan of sacrificing Dev resources for conveniences. It seems completely unnecessary to me.

Posted by: coltRG.6250

coltRG.6250

This would be such a welcome change to run faster in non combat areas. I dont really see why anyone is even arguing about it. It makes the people that want it happy and it has no negative affects on anyone else.

Posted by: Uden Reavstone.3426

Uden Reavstone.3426

Start a 8 man Dragon’s Gullet Vanquisher run in GW1 starting from ToA, then we’ll talk. Sorry, but GW2 is fine with mobility right now.

“Blue team for life.”
“They can’t see me. I can’t see them.”
Michael J. Caboose ~ RvB

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

Mounts won’t solve the problem. They’ll just move the goalposts.

This is the issue in a nutshell. Even in WOW, where you HAVE flying mounts and you can point your steed in a direction, tap R, and walk away, its still NOT FAST ENOUGH I WANT TO BE THERE INSTANTLY. there will ALWAYS be a feeling of impatience, no speed level other than instantaneous will ever get rid of that. and if travel is instantaneous, whats the point of having gorgeous maps with rich lore and scenery?

stop asking for silly things.

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

Geez we already glide, and to be honest that’s pretty epic as far as mmo travel goes. Add the wp system and we are sitting pretty good.