Lets talk about the new Gem conversion [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Syzygy.5031

Syzygy.5031

And what of people who used to drop spare gold into gems and don’t have a nice round amount of gems? I currently have 5, so not a big deal, but I used to often have 75 or some other random amount, and would make up as and when, usually when something I wanted to buy came up.

So the “milk the dead cow” phase began already. This is NO quality of life improvement. It’s objectively worse.

Stop money-grabbing and revert.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Isn’kitten little too early for april fools?

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

Did not see why they needed to change it, but the old version definitely has to return – I want to be able to convert custom amounts, not fixed amounts.

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

Seriously? This really makes no sense. So if I have 199 gems and want the horns (200 gems) I now need to buy 400 more? Umm….why again?

Seriously, you need to ask?

heh…it’s just this one is really hard to fathom. It effectively made any gem amount below 100 worthless since there’s no way to round up to even multiples of 100. Hell I guess even anything under 400 is wasted, unless what you’re buying is <400 gems. Just…wow. Ok, I’ll stop scratching my head now.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

They are trying to get people to buy gems with RL money so they convert it into ingame gold. Didnt thought Anet would get desperated that fast to press the last money out of the customers.

That’s a very pessimistic view on the change. It could be exactly what they stated and the wanted to make it more simpler and understandable.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

i wish it had a line for a floating gold value set to buy 100 gems, all of the (left half) values are fixed gold but that was never how i gauged the price of gems…

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Sanarian.9614

Sanarian.9614

They probably won’t revert it, but I don’t see how this came as a good idea to them. It’s just turned me off of using the gem store completely. lol

Sanarian [ME] | Thief | Blackgate

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Tried this ingame before complaining on forums?

Yeesh, kids these days….

Attachments:

Posted by: Nero.3780

Nero.3780

What a pathetic change, now if there is an item we want for say 200-300 gems, before we could just exchange for that amount give or take a gem. Now however we can only exchange in 400 gem increments… Really Anet? this is how you reward those of us that have been devoted to your game for this long and haven’t given up on you?
It’s like Anet has become a run of the mill mmo that nickle and dimes it’s player base for petty cash. I’m starting to find fewer reasons to stay in this game now days and it’s really sad what they have turned it into.

Posted by: Liraela.3601

Liraela.3601

I’ll stop play gw2 if they wont bring back gem exchange. For now Neverwinter have better system…

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

The only thing I would have wanted changed on the old gem-gold conversions is the ability to type in a specific amount of gems and see how much gold it would cost you, and vice-versa.

This…this is not good.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Signed.

Revert to the old system. I wont ever be buying gems with gold or money again with this in place. It’s meant to get people to spend more gold than they need to.

Shameful.

Kain Francois.4328

See the pic.

- No more accidentally over-charging gold for gems. (for example 9g instead of 8.50g)

- Shows how much you wold get more clearly to the normal user

- Shows how much gold you could get for gems (this was unavailable before)

edit:

Wait, no. I have it in reverse. I thought the left column was exchanging gold for gems…. Actually, this does suck.

Attachments:

(edited by Kain Francois.4328)

Posted by: lunacrous.6751

lunacrous.6751

Ugh. Having bought gems to convert to gold in the past, this is just awful. If I’m dumping $10.00 into the game to get me some imaginary money, I want to convert all of that to imaginary money. Instead, now I’m left with some remainder amount of gems left over, since I can only trade for even increments of gold.

I guess I should be thanking them really, as they’ve just guaranteed I won’t be buying gems again. Thanks for looking out for me and helping me save money like that ANET. You’re the best.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I am pretty OK with it.
not exactly fond of the limitation that now I’ll always have 16 extraneous gems, but I expect one of these days there will be a “get 1 gold for 16 gems” option and I’ll take it just to get round numbers again.

Posted by: Wickfish.6194

Wickfish.6194

Please revert this change!

Posted by: Norin Swift.6342

Norin Swift.6342

tl;dr A variable gold to gem option should be placed back into the trading post, along with an historical exchange rate.

The new system obscures the exchange and forces players to purchase more gems than they need for gem store items.

Any open, honest exchange shows its rate. Why should the gold-gem exchange now be different? Before this update, I was able to predict the best time throughout the day to convert my gold to gems, and vice versa. This update now forces me to third-party websites for information that was once easily available in-game.

I was considering converting gold to purchase a magic carpet and a few foil-wrapped candies. I don’t need 400 gems to do so. Now, I’m forced to waste additional gold to get these items. So much so that I’m not going to make the exchange. The number of gems that can be purchased should match the granularity of items available in the gem store. If you’re going to list an item at 25 gems, I should be able to buy just 25 gems – through gold or cash purchase.

The inability to choose how much I purchase and through which means – gold or gem store purchase – makes me feel like I’m getting scammed. Why should users be forced to pay more than they have to for the option of buying an item? The way the exchange has been established is equivalent to shopping in a grocery store that only accepts and functions on $50 denominations. Sure you can buy the milk, bread and eggs for $12, but we’ll hold onto your other $38 until you find something in our store worth buying.

Finally, our guild of about 50 people was about to transfer in two weeks since our server never has more than 30 players across all maps. We have been saving gold as a guild to cover transfers and were intending to give each player the exact amount they needed for 1800 gems. Since an 1800 gem denomination can’t be acquired through gold exchange, our guild is forced to save an extra ~35 gold per player, or 1750 gold, to make our transfer! I’m sorry, but this is a substantial burden now placed on our community due to the lack of variable exchange.

I rarely post on these forums, but this change has so negatively impacted our guild and diminished my willingness to purchase gem store items through gold or cash that I’ve felt the need to speak up. And while I dislike emotional appeals, I feel like I’m getting screwed by Anet.

Thorin Graf – Leader of The League of Tyrian Adventurers [LoTA]

(edited by Norin Swift.6342)

Posted by: DeathMetal.8264

DeathMetal.8264

It just needs “finer” control, exchange of 1gem in case someone only needs 1gem more. Also 100gem increement.

Lv80 Thief |Mesmer |Necromancer|Ranger|Guardian|Warrior|Elementalist|Engineer
[Aeon of Wonder]
Maguuma Server

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

The UI is simpler and cleaner I agree, but realistically speaking the old system was elegant and it worked. Not being able to choose your gems amount just seems baffling 2 years into the game’s life.

Posted by: Frenk the Vile.2596

Frenk the Vile.2596

Broken economy is Broken.

Imho NCsoft needs ’’founds’’ to recover from Wildstar fail this summer :P

Posted by: amnestyplox.5427

amnestyplox.5427

That’s it. I’m not spending any more money on gems.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Never mind the fact that there are things for less than 400 gems to buy and the lowest amount of gems you can buy with gold is now 400.

Sense. It doesn’t make any.

Kain Francois.4328

Wait, am I seeing this backwads?

Oh kitten , I thought the left column was the option to buy gems with gold.

Nevermind, this sucks.

Posted by: SlayerGT.6805

SlayerGT.6805

It’s like

Please everyone, give us your money

Here we’re making it more tedious and incovenient just for you

Look you won’t even have to worry about giving us more than you intended to, we’ll take care of that

Will you give us your money now?

I’m trying not to be a sarcastic butt, I really am, but seriously, Anet’s (or NCSoft’s, idk where these changes originate from) business department does not seem very competent to me at this point.

Why destroy one of the greatest names in MMO history with moves like this.

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

wow….will curb language in order to not be infracted:

there is no one who believes this change was done for simplicities sake….if you ask for our respect, don’t disrespect us by lying to our faces. in no way is entering a number too “complex” for any player of this game.

this is simply to “entice/compel” players to buy greater numbers of gems so that they their excess isn’t sitting in the wallet wasted. this was a dishonest and shady move by your company.

it’s bad enough, that you’ve just lost a fairly consistent gem purchaser (with real money)….whether you revert the change or not.

poor showing Anet. very disappointed (and feel bad for Gaile)

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Khemical.3061

Khemical.3061

Dear ArenaNet, I hardly ever post or speak up on the forums, but this time I can’t stay quiet. Please bring back the old currency exchange. If you want to make it easier for the newer crowd, go ahead and add a feature, but stop replacing existing features that work.

Posted by: Sailsd.9245

Sailsd.9245

Yes. Its more intuitive.
But it limits the possibilities.
So how about: Type in the amount of gems you want and the exchange site calculates how much gold you need to pay?
Because: I don’t want to buy 400 gems for something that doesn’t cost 400 gems. Or I don’t even have the gold for 400 gems and just need a smaller amount.

Posted by: Sanarian.9614

Sanarian.9614

Lol. Truthfully some improvements on the old system was all they really needed (allowing you to set how many gems you wanted to buy, instead of how much gold you wanted to spend). But instead we get… this. Because completely changing things is better than the simpler, more elegant method. /sarcasm

Sanarian [ME] | Thief | Blackgate

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I only need 72 gems to have 700 to get the Noble Count Outfit……

I really don’t want to buy 400.

Why doesn’t it have a100 gem minimum if ANet is going to set standard amounts? Right now it’s 71 gold to get any gems with ingame money.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: IceVyper.6810

IceVyper.6810

I hate this new change so much! Please revert the system, it was so much better! Let me buy with gold 3, 56, 380, 567, whatever number of gems I feel like.

Posted by: Scipio.3204

Scipio.3204

Signed.

/15char

Frenk the Vile.2596

How predictable, they screwed the only thing they did not copy/pasted from last year, LOL.

Posted by: Super Cvz.6930

Super Cvz.6930

Another update to further dumb down the game. Who is the target audience now exactly? According to the user agreement we must all be over 13 (18 to legally sign the agreement) which means probably we can read a little bit, probably can move a mouse around and have at least one finger to push buttons; so who is left that you you are targeting the dumbed down updates for? Gated content 2 years AFTER initial release? Now a gem store “update” that further dumbs down an already simple exchange and in the process imposes further limitations. Get it together Anet, I’m beginning to think you’re trying to tank the game.

(edited by Super Cvz.6930)

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Yeesh, kids these days….

Considering you said it sucked in your other thread, should I assume you’re trolling?

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Oh hum. So strange. I don’t mind the simplification but the amounts are very odd. =/ There should be a 100gem increment at least.

I totally get why Anet does it, Riot does the same thing. It’s a system designed to make sure there is a high chance of you having left over gems, but not enough to buy something else usually. Thus adding further push for you to spend more.

For example, bought 800 gems but spent it on a 700 gem costume? Well you may as well buy more gems to get that hair style kit son!

It’s a system designed to screw the consumer.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Oh, the OP actually changed his post.

The original thread was why there was a difference in cost per gem between the different choices.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Kain Francois.4328

Yeesh, kids these days….

Considering you said it sucked in your other thread, should I assume you’re trolling?

Read the post.

I had it in reverse. I thought they would let us exchange 1g for 9 gems, until I saw the “gems for gold” on top.

Up until now, gold for gems had always been on the left side. Changing it was kinda dumb.

Posted by: Syzygy.5031

Syzygy.5031

In fact, as a point of principle, I’m not even exchanging gold-gems until this is reverted ANet.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

You can’t exchange gold for anything less than 400 gems now? I really don’t understand this change. Is this another simplify to avoid confusion case?

Posted by: shaquinna.2869

shaquinna.2869

Anet remove this crap..

I’m not even going to say please. What in the world are you doing to this game ?

This is ridiculous! If I want to buy 5 gems I buy 5 gems. This did NOT have to be changed AT ALL.

You’re destroying your game and the faith of your playerbase.. just saying.. wow..

Evanny
[EU] Piken Square
Representing: ‘The Only One’ [One]

Frenk the Vile.2596

Yeah, it’s so confusing when i have to pay something 13,50€, i usually just give 20€…NOPE.

/sarcasm

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

I want 218 gems! Not 400! And I want to see the gem:gold history!

Posted by: barnabas j collins.2306

barnabas j collins.2306

Absolutely ridiculous

I like to buy gem and hold back a few for character update kit or something. Now in order to do that I have to multiple exchanges of 100 or 50 at a time instead of a single exchange.

Other times i have bought keys with gems (stupid i know) and have been maybe 5 or 10 short and bought those gems with gold. now the minimum is 400 at a time?

This changes is clumsy, badly thought out and just plain stinks.

Posted by: Agriope.4523

Agriope.4523

Well, my post got merged into this one, but it’s good to know that no, there isn’t a way to get less than 400 gems.

That said, this is a kittening terrible change.

Shame on upper management for forcing this one down the line.

Agriope – Purple hair’d menace.
Violent Tendency [vT]; twitch.tv/agriope & YouTube Agriope
#ProfessionalNomad

Posted by: Schtizzel.5497

Schtizzel.5497

Just do the reversed thingy of what was in place before the halloween patch.
Just type in what amount of gems you want and voila

but no……….

that’s to simple for a solution for Anet

Posted by: sakurals.7143

sakurals.7143

If the old system was hard to understand because we needed to change the amount of gold, silver and cooper to get the right amount of gems we want in exchange, the best solution is to change the Gold to Gem feature to this: Ask the player how many gems he want to buy, instead of ask how much gold he want to expend, so the system do the math for the player and it is easy to understand, and we can buy the amount of gems we want.
Please, don’t limit the gems like this, revert this change.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Yeesh, kids these days….

Read the post.

I had it in reverse. I thought they would let us exchange 1g for 9 gems, until I saw the “gems for gold” on top.

Up until now, gold for gems had always been on the left side. Changing it was kinda dumb.

…The irony here is kinda funny. You didn’t read what each side was, and I didn’t read your whole post. Sorry for my part in all of the confusion.

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

This is absurd. It’s like selling things for $20 but only accepting $100 bills…and not giving change back.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

400 gems is the minimum now??? Why does ANET dislike their gamer base so much? I simply dont understand why ive put 4k hours into this game. I love it so much and theyre doing everything they can to make me buy FF14

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

The way they changed the title of the thread.

What is there to talk about?

Revert or bring back the old UI (With chart included)

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]