Level cap raise - legendary level raise too?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Orion the Cursed.1206

Orion the Cursed.1206

“Q: What of the level cap? Have you guys decided whether you’re going to be increasing the level cap in future expansions?
Colin Johanson: Yeah. The level cap will be 80 on the initial release of the game, and we absolutely would increase it further into the game, probably through expansions is the most likely place we would do that."

Going to stop investing in this game till they officially refute this. If they increase the level cap, then… Good Bye.

Games that dont need to increase the level cap to succeed = GUILD WARS 1!
Games that NEED to increase the level cap to succeed = WoW (clones)

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

“Q: What of the level cap? Have you guys decided whether you’re going to be increasing the level cap in future expansions?
Colin Johanson: Yeah. The level cap will be 80 on the initial release of the game, and we absolutely would increase it further into the game, probably through expansions is the most likely place we would do that."

Going to stop investing in this game till they officially refute this. If they increase the level cap, then… Good Bye.

Stop believing in scam posts?
That was stated on 3rd party website and 100th party video.
whereas the links to arenanet posters said nothing like that, and on the contrary their blog says that lvl 80 will be the cap for game.
care to find my post and read it through? I got some decent confirmation for that.

Orion the Cursed.1206

@Evalia
I read the article on
http://www.arena.net/blog/progression-and-leveling-in-guild-wars-2

Sorry but you cant blame me for not having 100% faith in any game company nowadays. If this is a scam post, shouldn’t the moderator close it? This leads me to believe that the decision is not “set in stone”. I would love to play and suport this game but not by jumping through digital hoops. Ascended gear and the last story mission is a huge step in the wrong direction for me, so a level cap increase would be the last straw.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

What is that?

You seem to be grasping at straws. You do realize their blog post stating the game will have a level cap of 80 means for the initial release right? The post is also from 2010. The level cap increase announcement came a year after.

You must not have been following GW2 for very long. ArenaNet chooses to release information via 3rd parties, no matter how small they are.

Since you want a direct source, here’s Mike O’Brien’s user page on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/user/Mike-OBrien-ArenaNet. See the 4th post, or search for “level cap”

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

why would you even consider that they would scale? i will quit this game if they do. you crafted a level 80 item just like any other level 80 item, regardless of how much it cost. it was your choice to make it. if it scaled it would be a huge middle finger to everyone else who would need to get new high lvl exotic weapons.

transmute the skin if you want, but leave the level alone.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

First of all why would we assume that they will increase the level cap they never did in GW1 but whatever.

When the dev’s stated that legendaries would remain BiS the only thing we can presume is they meant the current legendary weapons since the current ones are all we have to gauge what they meant by remaining BiS.

The most likely thing that will happen is current legendaries will become pre-cursors for the next tier of lengendaries this makes the most sense in the demented mind of the great gear treadmill god.

Orion the Cursed.1206

Instead of increasing levels, in terms of character development, they should just:

- fix the bugs
- include more affix and nomenclature. And make them obtainable via random drops.
- introduce more skills / weapons / elite skills
- introduce new professions
- more crafting(and Mforge) recipes with unique skin
- more legendaries

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

Instead of increasing levels, in terms of character development, they should just:

- fix the bugs
- include more affix and nomenclature. And make them obtainable via random drops.
- more legendaries

I think that’s what they said they are going to do.
Oh, and to the rest of people who tell me about progression.
It seems that you are indeed right, and I had wrong info. But is it really that bad?
It seems that level cap is going to be moved indeed in some time.
But looking at the kind of leveling progression we have now, it is nowhere near anything grindy or unfun. What bad can be if you got to experience some new maps that will give you 10 more levels?
There is a huge difference from WoW and other MMOs. You could take a month to farm that shadowmourn and then it would be just rendered useless.
Here, the progression goes up like snail and you can be assured that your skins will not be taken away. In a way, even if you change legendary and it will not be BiS anymore(which is seriously doubted, given the amount of effort it will supposedly be forever raised to following BiS tiers), it will still be that epic skin that you are free to apply on best weaponry that will be there.
In a way, I find it funny how addition of transmutation stones fixes such a big problem.
I wouldn’t grind for something that will be taken away from me(in a sense that it will become useless). However this game does not take things away from me, and it won’t.
Unless you count cheap exotic pieces that you’ll have to substitute. On a bigger scale, legendary weapon or T3 set that cost 200x or 10x as much as exotics with same(or better with T3 set stats, again those stones) stats… will be persevered. That’s what matters for me, really. Following stats is easy, my only problem is to get that best look

(edited by Evalia.7103)

Orion the Cursed.1206

- fix the bugs
- more legendaries

I think that’s what they said they are going to do.
Oh, and to the rest of people who tell me about progression.
It seems that you are indeed right, and I had wrong info. But is it really that bad?
It seems that level cap is going to be moved indeed in some time.
But looking at the kind of leveling progression we have now, it is nowhere near anything grindy or unfun. What bad can be if you got to experience some new maps that will give you 10 more levels?
There is a huge difference from WoW and other MMOs. You could take a month to farm that shadowmourn and then it would be just rendered useless.
Here, the progression goes up like snail and you can be assured that your skins will not be taken away. In a way, even if you change legendary and it will not be BiS anymore(which is seriously doubted, given the amount of effort it will supposedly be forever raised to following BiS tiers), it will still be that epic skin that you are free to apply on best weaponry that will be there.
In a way, I find it funny how addition of transmutation stones fixes such a big problem.
I wouldn’t grind for something that will be taken away from me(in a sense that it will become useless). However this game does not take things away from me, and it won’t.
Unless you count cheap exotic pieces that you’ll have to substitute. On a bigger scale, legendary weapon or T3 set that cost 200x or 10x as much as exotics with same(or better with T3 set stats, again those stones) stats… will be persevered. That’s what matters for me, really. Following stats is easy, my only problem is to get that best look

My problem with leveling is mainly pvp and items.

1. For example, What about the current dungeons? Would their level cap be increased?
Yes = unfair to the people with Lvl 80 items.
No = nobody would run them.

2. People who farmed for their lvl 80 ascended would have to redo it. Im sure a lot of players wont be happy. Of course the new players will not care…

3. Traits and skills will need to be rebalanced for PvP.

By comparison, i rather have more skills (choices) and thus more potential builds than 5 or 10 more levels. The amount is already severely lacking especially elite skills where most classes have only 1 go-to choice.

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Stop believing in scam posts?
That was stated on 3rd party website and 100th party video.
whereas the links to arenanet posters said nothing like that, and on the contrary their blog says that lvl 80 will be the cap for game.
care to find my post and read it through? I got some decent confirmation for that.

Chris whiteside at the AmA on Reddit and Mike O in the AmA stated there will be a level increase with the expansion.
Anything written before Nov15 is a lie – ie ascend gear. please go to reddit and read the ask me anything it will open your eyes that was the last major communication of the state of the game. Chris runs the game dev.
Do we even need to go here – we dont make grindy games ect- flat power curve ect.
http://dulfy.net/2012/11/26/gw2-chris-whiteside-ama-on-reddit/

Yes if they release new content be kitten sure you will be regrinding for a new tier and that includes legendaries.That is endgame content and will keep people playing longer so expect it to be a miscommunication! You will be regrinding I promise you.
Dont believe the hype.

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

There’s definitely a lot of rebalancing to do with a level cap increase, and with the state of the rest of the game as it is, that’s gonna be a challenge.

Narkosys.5173, you’re right on so many levels, it’s sad. All high end tier require extreme grinding. 500 ectos for a shiny backpack? That’s just ridiculous, and that’s just 1 small part of it.

Posted by: apoko.5246

apoko.5246

They have stated that legendairy’s will ALWAYS be top tier.

i dont think you get what he is asking. legendaries will always be the top tier but their will be new lvl 90 legendaries? or the current legendaries would automatically scale to lvl 90? that what hes asking. i dont know, but right now Guild Wars 2 is becoming a grind fest. so i think they will make new legendaries to make people grind more. XD

I have played a few games in my time and I would not call GW2 a grind fest to be honest I thought it was a bit too easy to get to lvl80

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Personally I’d rather Anet kept all the options open rather than saying “we will definitely 100% never do XYZ” and then feeling they are obligated to stick to it forever.

Of course there are a lot of things they shouldn’t do because it would be a terrible idea, and a lot of things they might say they will almost certainly never do, but if they think it’d work and that players would enjoy it then they should do it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Jaxon.5392

Jaxon.5392

Level cap is such a terrible idea. It fills in a little extra time but makes all your previous efforts feel a little worthless.
Don’t like. Don’t need to do it to give the feeling of progression.

It’s all about leveraging on the open world experience in GW2, they must concentrate on that

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

This whole argument is only possible because during the interview, the guy mentioned that raising the level cap is possible in gw2 whereas it wasn’t in gw1 lol. However, given that they said they would scale ascended gear with legendary, i would assume if a level cap was raised, the current legendaries would be given a raise too. (I think for Anet’s own good, they know by now all too well that raising the level cap is not a smart move, likewise they did with the ascended gear approach they initially were prepared to implement). Besides, giving us 10 extra levels would be completely pointless except for completely destroying what is left of their philosopy.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

*However, given that they said they would scale ascended gear with legendary, i would assume if a level cap was raised, the current legendaries would be given a raise too. *

We have assumed (based on the information from the devs) for the long time that there will be no new tiers above exotics as well. In the end we got told, that while they did indeed might have suggested that, they never actually said it out straight, so they don’t feel bound by it. The same situation is now – the only thing they said out straight is that the legendary tier will always be equal to top tier. It does mean that the current legendaries will be bumbed up a tier, but it does not mean that their levels will be adjusted as well.
Since November 15 it became really important to analyze semantics in developer quotes, bacause it’s obvious the devs consider those very, very important.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Dakiaris.2798

Dakiaris.2798

I remember reading somewhere that a dev said that when the level cap is raised that the current legendary weapons would level up with the character to max level and keep the ascended stats…. Like lvl 90 becomes the cap and you hit 81 the weapon would function like a 81 ascended and would keep going so at 90 it would be lvl 90 ascended quality…

I just remember reading this and if someone finds the post please post it because I was wanting to show a friend and didn’t book mark it…

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

*However, given that they said they would scale ascended gear with legendary, i would assume if a level cap was raised, the current legendaries would be given a raise too. *

We have assumed (based on the information from the devs) for the long time that there will be no new tiers above exotics as well. In the end we got told, that while they did indeed might have suggested that, they never actually said it out straight, so they don’t feel bound by it. The same situation is now – the only thing they said out straight is that the legendary tier will always be equal to top tier. It does mean that the current legendaries will be bumbed up a tier, but it does not mean that their levels will be adjusted as well.
Since November 15 it became really important to analyze semantics in developer quotes, bacause it’s obvious the devs consider those very, very important.

If they did this, it would go against their so called end game “I believe there has been no change to our philosophy regarding end game gear. We have learnt lessons for sure which is one of the main advantages of a live game and no doubt we will learn lessons moving forward.” Thus suggesting that an end game gear does exist and not a “temporary” end game gear. Of course, it is Anets game in the end, so if they wanted to change this, the only thing we can do is leave.

Posted by: Anakin.9765

Anakin.9765

Yes. If they increase level cap, current level of Legendaries (80) will be bumped up to 90.

Best in slot is best in slot. Nothing to discuss here.

Everyone with brain know what that means

So stop speculating, they said yes and now all we can do is wait if they broke promise or dont. Thats all.

Everyone that agrees with you is simply taking that line out of context. I know this was an older post, but come the kitten on. Use that brain you claim to have.

To actually understand that line, you’ll need the full quote – this can be found a bit above your post. That line, in context, states they will remain BiS. I’m a bit confused as to where people are getting “They will forever and ever and always be the best ever.”

Can someone with a brain explain this to me? That statement clearly relates to the event outlined in their quote, which is the ascended gear release. It makes sense considering it was stated that LEGENDARIES WOULD REMAIN best in slot. Terminology can be difficult to understand, but everyone with a brain would use a bit of comprehension and make that out to mean “With the release of the new tier, we are going to have to bump the legendaries up a bit to remain best in slot.”

With that said, you should expect your level 80 legendary to remain level 80. All MMOs have BiS gear that is referred to as BiS. Saying something is BiS is not saying it is forever BiS, but that it is currently BiS. It currently remains BiS because nothing has overtaken it. We should expect something to overtake our current gear – this is the way MMOs work.

remains != always

Something that remains to live can be killed, right? Although I would assume something that will always live could not. Difficult stuff.

EDIT: Also, sorry to necro a post, this just bothers me.

(edited by Anakin.9765)

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

I remember reading somewhere that a dev said that when the level cap is raised that the current legendary weapons would level up with the character to max level and keep the ascended stats…. Like lvl 90 becomes the cap and you hit 81 the weapon would function like a 81 ascended and would keep going so at 90 it would be lvl 90 ascended quality…

I just remember reading this and if someone finds the post please post it because I was wanting to show a friend and didn’t book mark it…

This is a common misconception. They said that about leganderies compared to the ascended weapons that are coming out in the near future. Legendaries will then be matched as they were always intended to be BiS. However, they didn’t state anything relating to the level cap that will be raised. Did they mean that they will be BiS for level 80 and that there will be new level 90 Legendaries that will have level 90 stats.

So it’s entirely unclear what will happen with current legendaries once level 90 comes.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

I think lots of people will go enrage when they’ll notice that their shiny level 80 Twilight will be outpowered by a level 90 rare…

Posted by: Akaji.1296

Akaji.1296

Simple solution to make everyone happy: level 80 legendaries don’t scale, but can be used as an optional component in the creating of level 90 legendaries to greatly reduce the investment required to make the level 90 legendary.

OR they could just stop adding anything to their game, because all people seem to be able to do is whine about everything that changes.

Posted by: Pixels.6532

Pixels.6532

If they meant what people are interpreting they said about legendaries being best in slot, the simplest way, imo, would be to have the weapon level up with you… 80 – 81, so goes your weapon.

Ultimately, we have no idea how this will work out until its worked out.

Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

top tier is top tier, no matter the lvl

No. Top tier is only top tier when it is top of the top level.

Given the current direction of the game (gear treadmill) it is extremely likely that a new set of Legendaries will be released for players of the new level cap to acquire via grinding and these new Legendaries being made for players of a higher level will of course necessitate having better stats so that they are functionally equivalent at their level to what the current legendaries are for players at the current level cap.

Ellisande.5218

Simple solution to make everyone happy: level 80 legendaries don’t scale, but can be used as an optional component in the creating of level 90 legendaries to greatly reduce the investment required to make the level 90 legendary.

OR they could just stop adding anything to their game, because all people seem to be able to do is whine about everything that changes.

That’s what happens when all the changes are viewed as negative.

Maybe Anet should actually try to garner or allow community participation in the decision making process.

The easiest way to accomplish that would be to allow us to elect player representatives who work with the developers so that changes are made which the overall community either desired or at least supported.

But I believe a developer actually did try to do this and it was a huge disaster.

Ellisande.5218

Something that remains to live can be killed, right? Although I would assume something that will always live could not. Difficult stuff.

EDIT: Also, sorry to necro a post, this just bothers me.

Reincarnation.

Living afterall means existing. So long as it continues to exist then it must still be living even if i actuality it had died. Something which dies and gets reincarnated hasn’t stopped existing because otherwise it could not be reincarnated and the thing which was supposedly a reincarnation of the now inexistant thing would actually be a brand new thing and would thus have been created and not reincarnated. Reincarnation therefore supposes a series of transformations of a thing that never ceases to exist.

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

I would prefer that they not be upgradeable at all.

You bought the legendary off the TP just buy another one.
Or grind another one.

What is the issue?

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

All they’ve said is that Legendaries will always be top-tier, they probably haven’t worked out the details yet.

Tier =\= Level

The “tier” (purple color) will remain the top one.

The obviousness of this seems lost on so many.

A level 70 exotic pre-Ascended was still the top tier of loot, even if it wasn’t the top level.

Did they mean that they will be BiS for level 80 and that there will be new level 90 Legendaries that will have level 90 stats.

Of course there will be new level 90 legendary weapons, with new mats so that you can’t craft them days after a level cap increase. It’s their entire endgame.

(edited by Ansultares.1567)

Valanga.5942

Anyways is there anyone out there who still believe what ANet guys says?

Posted by: Reaver.9256

Reaver.9256

Yeah I do. They’ve never lied to me as far as I can tell. I knew half this stuff the day they announced GW2.

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

The most likely thing that will happen is current legendaries will become pre-cursors for the next tier of lengendaries this makes the most sense in the demented mind of the great gear treadmill god.

Hey, that’s a good one.

I’d sooner trust second guessing of the “demented mind of the great gear treadmill god” than anything Anet says.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

i’ll say it again. you chose to craft a lvl 80 item.

it should NOT level up with you.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Valanga.5942

Yeah I do. They’ve never lied to me as far as I can tell. I knew half this stuff the day they announced GW2.

Cool story bro.

Back on topic… I hope level 90 legendary rifle will looks more like a shotgun.
Main reason i’m not going for The Predator is that a sniper rifle would look stupid on an Engineer…

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

If they did this, it would go against their so called end game “I believe there has been no change to our philosophy regarding end game gear. We have learnt lessons for sure which is one of the main advantages of a live game and no doubt we will learn lessons moving forward.” Thus suggesting that an end game gear does exist and not a “temporary” end game gear.

Quite the opposite. Seeing as their current philosophy about end game gear includes introducing new top tier (ascended) in place of previous one (exotics), and promises that they will be going forward with “low curve” item stat progression, staying true to it would definitely mean that there will be NO equipment that won’t at one time become obsolete.

top tier is top tier, no matter the lvl

No. Top tier is only top tier when it is top of the top level.

Exotics were top tier before November 15th. All of them – exotics of levels below 80 (which also exist), still belong to the same tier.
It’s just that some games have their top tier eq available only at max levels.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I think they just add then new legendary weapons… the older ones would get then maybe an upgrade, which ANet would use as money sink.

WOuld be in my opinion the most reasonable way to handle this, if they woudl raise the level cap slowly, what I do hope for the expansions, so that GW2 won#t be only itemprogression permanently, but will provide over tiem also more character progression, what is really important too, so that characters don’t feel like being still so noob like like a beginning character, with just only more health and the ability to use once every x minutes an elite skill…

Thats absolutely no character progession to me at all.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I hope level cap is never changed.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com