Level descaling in my opinion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mizo.2947

Mizo.2947

I can’t ever just go under water to watch the scenery without having 10 agro’ed mobs chasing my *ss and ultimately dying.

Same with land. You always have to kill 15k mobs and then you are distracted and forget about it all together… Or lose interest.

If it wasn’t for descaling I could just ignore/1-2 hit the mobs and watch and explore. Instead I have to kill the two chasing me spamming 8 skills before they are dead and in the mean time 5 others already joined the fabulous party!

If they just made it so you only descaled if you wanted to participate in the ongoing events(mob raids, boss spawning, events, w/e), making much more sense.

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

^
This
Yea not a fan of downscaling myself. Much prefer to play at my level, after all I earned it. I’m not interested in taking anyones kills/bosses etc, just want to be able to move freely through lower maps I haven’t explored thoroughly without having to fight at all.

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Its the single mechanic that makes the entire game enjoyable for all my toons. No matter their level. One of my favorite aspects of this game.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Jman.1390

Jman.1390

I recommend that when walking through an area 25 lvls below you the enemies don’t get aggro’d.

Elem all day

Posted by: Exploding Acorn.3754

Exploding Acorn.3754

Funny I was just thinking about level scaling, but I’m on the other side of the fence where I almost wished I would be scaled down lower. I found that often I really didn’t need to move for most of the early level zones and usually auto-attack was enough. It usually would lead me to feel like I was making alot of things just face roll easy and would kill things far too quickly for my friend’s character to help out in a DE.

It would be neat if there was an option like GW1’s hard mode to optionally scale your character down lower, maybe with a slight increase in MF for slightly better chances at loot drops.

Posted by: Shooopa.5632

Shooopa.5632

Back in the days when other people actually played this game it wasn’t a terrible idea. It kept people from killing everything on the map before you even got to look at it.

But now that everyone just plays the fractal dungeons like bots, it makes playing the game irritatingly unfair.

User will be infracted for this post.

Posted by: Hycinthus.6483

Hycinthus.6483

Agree, I am not a fan of level descaling. I know the purpose, and I know how it’s intended. I just don’t feel like I like it this way. I want to be level 80, even in low level areas, because that is rewarding to me, being able to conquer and withstand mobs I never able to before. Because it feels like I have made something of myself. Look at me, I’m a big boy now.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Levels are just a number in this game. That is used to direct you through the story.

The whole game is meant to be played at a high level because AN wanted the world to be dynamic.

Posted by: Black Regent.5897

Black Regent.5897

I’d be okay with the downscaling if it actually worked as intended, but the fact is that since it doesn’t really ever draw higher level players back to earlier zones it’s just kind of an annoying impediment to moving a high level character quickly around a low level zone.

One of many nice ideas on paper that didn’t work very well in the real world once actual people became involved.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

It’s an economy balance. If there was no descaling level 80s could run in, 1 hit kill everything and flood the market with crap and mid gear making it really cheep and making lower levels unable to make money.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

I dont have an issue with it personally or dungeon scaling to counteract groups just loot running dungeons/events thro to death.
I have found that downscaling on some maps say from lvl80 to lvl 65 creates some pretty spectacular wipes and I have to question if there is both level downscaling and dungeon scaling going on at the same time but both a little incorrectly implemented.

On a side note – what I find ridiculous is how xp on things get wildly incremented.
For instance… gathering an Onion on a low level map like Metrica might yield me 40xp but that same Onion on higher lvl map say like Sparkfly could yield me 800xp.
It kinda makes a mockery of leveling toons in the first place, might just as well pick onions all day, everyday.
Yes I am fully aware that the XP gaps widen as you your toon progresses, but thats obvious and as it should be … but to increment XP on things I was killing or gathering etc at level 1 just to help steam roll the XP gaps is pretty stupid imo…

Leveling in GW2 is actually pretty pointless…

Posted by: Hycinthus.6483

Hycinthus.6483

I’d be okay with the downscaling if it actually worked as intended, but the fact is that since it doesn’t really ever draw higher level players back to earlier zones it’s just kind of an annoying impediment to moving a high level character quickly around a low level zone.

One of many nice ideas on paper that didn’t work very well in the real world once actual people became involved.

Yes I feel that it’s detrimental and discouraging high level players from going back to a low level zone. For me personally, this is like having gotten my PhD, and then going back to help my kid in middle school, but my math skills got dumbed down again to the level of a middle/high school math, so I struggle to help my kid. And he’s watching me wondering, “why is it taking him so long to tackle this problem?”.

No thanks lol. I want to breeze through all of that, and let my kid know I’ve got this ok. Don’t worry.

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

oceans in Orr have constant pulls, forcing me underwater, and not allowing me to escape. it’s 5 minutes of pulls from mobs at the water’s surface, there’s no hope or chance of progress in the water.

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

Level scaling is the best part of the game. I honestly don’t get why people want to be able to go back and faceroll lower level content. I love that level scaling balances the challenge. I think my only disappointment is that unlike what they promised a year ago, once the level gap is more than 25-35 levels, the rewards per hour of play tend to drop too drastically. I’d love for the entire game to remain challenging AND rewarding once I hit level 80!

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

In other games when you finish a zone you never play it again. Because you completed the quest and their is nothing to do. But in this game dynamic events change the way the zones are played. So their is always something new to see in a old zone.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

I actually really like it. It almost always works fairly well, too.

Posted by: Kopipoki.3542

Kopipoki.3542

I wish there was more downscaling. The lower level content is still too easy for a level 80 even when downscaled.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Level scaling is one of the best innovations of this game. You are in the minority.

However, I do agree that it doesn’t go far enough in making lower level zones enticing to higher level characters.

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

Level scaling allows virtually the entire world to be used as end-game content. You can find challenges no matter where in the world you go, and can play anywhere without fear of ruining the challenge for others. Dynamic events would become a joke if one high level player was capable of single handedly wiping out an entire low level enemy force.

Posted by: Sotaudi.1265

Sotaudi.1265

I have to disagree as well. One of the things that annoys me most about other games is the fact that content gets greyed out and pointless to fight even if you still have quests or objectives to complete in a zone. Level scaling makes every zone valid throughout the life of the game. That is particularly important because of how easy leveling is in this game.

For instance, my level 80 Ranger did most of his leveling in PvE, so he worked his way from the starting zone all the way through to the very gates of Orr, including the story quests. My level 79 Mesmer, on the other hand, did most of his leveling from about level 26 in WvW. He is not too far behind on his story quests, but he has very little of the map open except for the Sylvari starting zone and up to somewhere in the mid-20s zone of that area. Otherwise, it is mostly just places he has had to go for his story quest. He also has much less of the map completion achievements done than does my Ranger. Either way, there is still a lot of content they both have not experienced.

If there was no level descaling, going back and doing either map completion or just dymanic events from different areas would be mind-numbingly boring because all the mobs would be greyed out and no challenge. At least with descaling, there is a point to going back.

Shooopa.5632

Level scaling allows virtually the entire world to be used as end-game content. You can find challenges no matter where in the world you go, and can play anywhere without fear of ruining the challenge for others. Dynamic events would become a joke if one high level player was capable of single handedly wiping out an entire low level enemy force.

No it doesn’t. Because the drops aren’t scaled up to their levels. So why would anyone who is level 80 bother with a lower level zone? They’re not going to get anything out of it.

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

the drops aren’t scaled up to their levels.

Yes they are. After the recent buff I’m getting more high level items than low in sub-80 zones.

[SFD] – Maguuma

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

No it doesn’t. Because the drops aren’t scaled up to their levels. So why would anyone who is level 80 bother with a lower level zone? They’re not going to get anything out of it.

I run low level dungeons for fun, plus you would return to low level zones if you’re doing full explore.

Posted by: TxJBxT.9370

TxJBxT.9370

Please keep the level scaling. Its provides me with at least some sort of challenge when I got back to 100% areas. This is a unique feature in GW2 don’t strip away it and start becoming a typical MMO clone.

TxJBxT.9370

100% map completion. I go back to low level areas all the time. Don’t generalize just because you don’t do it.

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

As others have already pointed out, a high level character can get high level gear in low level zones. That’s an intentional incentive, and a balanced reward because a level of risk is maintained.

Shooopa.5632

100% map completion. I go back to low level areas all the time. Don’t generalize just because you don’t do it.

I was trying to do it but because no one else was I gave up. I’ve explored over 80% of the world on one character and 40% on another. I stopped because doing it in a MMO by myself was defeating the entire purpose I bought the game.

And people are farming Orr and the Fractals for new gear because they want the rares and exotics. They aren’t wandering about anywhere else.

Posted by: Mian.1945

Mian.1945

Boggle.

Asking for no level scaling in GW2 is like asking for no guns in Counter Strike because you dislike being shot.

Posted by: LordYz.8941

LordYz.8941

Removing descaling = remove one of the main feature of GW2.

Low lvl area do drop lvl 75-80 gears.

Sea of Sorrows, Black Snow Suave.
Recruiting dungeon raiders.

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

Boggle.

Asking for no level scaling in GW2 is like asking for no guns in Counter Strike because you dislike being shot.

^ this, and I would add the following:
- even as a down scaled player you are much more powerful than a player playing the area at the correct level, think about it all your utilities, elites and traits are open plus you have superior rune bonuses/sigil bonuses that level correct players don’t have.

As a warrior I don’t really bother fighting the low level mobs at all if i need vistas or gathering resources unless i get 5 or more on me, even than they die in 2 hits.

I’d say level scaling needs to scale not just on level but also on gear to make it a challenge to fight as down scaled lv80 in lower level zones.

If you have trouble as a lv80 in lower level zones, than I hate to break it to you but it’s not the scaling that is killing you, it’s most likely a bad build design, either to glassy or simply a very kittened build.

Posted by: Servanin.5021

Servanin.5021

Only thing i’d like changed is not being pulled into combat when a mob hits you, possibly immunity to chill, snare, immobilize and pull if you have a significant (pre-de)level advantage over mobs.

Also rewards in lower level zones than you are diminished. Anet recently increased the threshold before it happens, but its still only 1 zone, maybe 2 at 80. At level 79, DEs in starter zones are worth 5k while they are worth 15k at a proper level zone.

You might say “That makes sense, why would you be rewarded for doing easier content”?

Maybe you shouldn’t be, but if theres no or even negative (high WP cost) incentive to do it, people aren’t going to do it.

Posted by: Volomon.9147

Volomon.9147

What they should have done is have no downscaling. However if you fight something or join a party with a lower level then you should down scaled.

Otherwise generally farming and exploring shouldn’t be made hard for you. I think.

TxJBxT.9370

I was trying to do it but because no one else was I gave up. I’ve explored over 80% of the world on one character and 40% on another. I stopped because doing it in a MMO by myself was defeating the entire purpose I bought the game.

And people are farming Orr and the Fractals for new gear because they want the rares and exotics. They aren’t wandering about anywhere else.

Get friends or guildies to to it with you. I myself chat with friends whether they be outside or inside the game. Sometime I just listen to music and tear things up. Like I said before just because you don’t or are unable to do it for whatever philosophical reason doesn’t mean you should generalize and deprive others of it. LVL scaling is a UNIQUE feature to GW2 and like someone just said its like playing Counter Strike but wanting guns removed because you hate getting shot. Best I can say is for you to leave whatever guild your in and look for a no one or switch servers to a more lively one.

TxJBxT.9370

What they should have done is have no downscaling. However if you fight something or join a party with a lower level then you should down scaled.

Otherwise generally farming and exploring shouldn’t be made hard for you. I think.

That makes no sense. Might aswell not party then. They’ll still get credit for whatever it is they needed help with and your idea in general just kills the core of GW2 lvling.

Posted by: Oorjuwa.1682

Oorjuwa.1682

On the contrary, Its one of the best features in the game.

Its a genius feature to be honest .

“You’ve got some really nice toys there. Mind if I break them?”
— Gwen

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

It’s one of my favorite features of the game. The only thing better would be to have no levels at all.

Posted by: moirweyn.9872

moirweyn.9872

Where are you going where that is such a problem? I go to lower level areas all the time and never have the problem you are talking about. Maybe you should just pay a bit more attention to your surroundings.

You can’t say it’s Orr because that is high level.

“There are two types of people in the world…and I don’t like them.”

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I recommend that when walking through an area 25 lvls below you the enemies don’t get aggro’d.

The mobs seem to have a smaller aggro radius to a high-level down-scaled than they do to characters at their level. I’ve used this knowledge many times to stealth in between spawns if I did not want to fight (as opposed to the level 80 zones where Veteran Karka and Risen Acolytes aggro from the neighboring county). If you are aggroing a lot of mobs while down-scaled, you are probably not making much of an effort to avoid them.

Posted by: Volomon.9147

Volomon.9147

That makes no sense. Might aswell not party then. They’ll still get credit for whatever it is they needed help with and your idea in general just kills the core of GW2 lvling.

Your going to have to explain. The point is not to party but to return to previous zones to explore or harvest. Otherwise general enjoy the zone for what it is an artistic piece. I don’t see how it kills the leveling. If your level 80 your not exactly going to level very far. The point of this thread is descaling. What exactly is this “core”. Most don’t party to begin with, but if your going to party you should be the parties level. Which is already the case with the game. So….lowering your level when you join a party in a lower level zone is already part of the game. So I’m not exactly getting your point. Since there is already a descaling in the game that is “core” I don’t see how it kills it.

Basically your 80 in a level 20-30 zone, but as soon as you engage in combat or join a party you immediately revert back to the max which would be 30. To prevent people from just power leveling every player in the game. It’s not like they can hold aggro without attacking. I think you should be able to wonder around as a level 80.

It’s not that great of an idea, but at least it was an idea. Cause it really doesn’t solve the problem of the fundamental under lining effect, that players feel weak as they progress at no time do players feel like they have achieved anything and they can’t even go back to lower levels to feel like they have achieved something.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Level scaling is one of the key features of this game. It allows me to play meaningfully in zones that interest me so I don’t feel forced into Orr all the time. Playing in Queensdale or Far Shiverpeaks lets me earn money/karma while enjoying mobs and events that are actually interesting.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Your going to have to explain. The point is not to party but to return to previous zones to explore or harvest. Otherwise general enjoy the zone for what it is an artistic piece. I don’t see how it kills the leveling. If your level 80 your not exactly going to level very far. The point of this thread is descaling. What exactly is this “core”. Most don’t party to begin with, but if your going to party you should be the parties level. Which is already the case with the game. So….lowering your level when you join a party in a lower level zone is already part of the game. So I’m not exactly getting your point. Since there is already a descaling in the game that is “core” I don’t see how it kills it.

Basically your 80 in a level 20-30 zone, but as soon as you engage in combat or join a party you immediately revert back to the max which would be 30. To prevent people from just power leveling every player in the game. It’s not like they can hold aggro without attacking. I think you should be able to wonder around as a level 80.

It’s not that great of an idea, but at least it was an idea. Cause it really doesn’t solve the problem of the fundamental under lining effect, that players feel weak as they progress at no time do players feel like they have achieved anything and they can’t even go back to lower levels to feel like they have achieved something.

I don’t understand what you are saying.
if you get down leveled when you are in combat/in a party, how is that different from being down leveled all the time like it is now?

I also love the system and I explore lower level areas all the time because I enjoy it and because I eventually want 100%
I have never had a problem with mobs- most of the time I ignore them since they can’t really hurt me- I only bother to kill them if I accidently pull a bunch near a real low lvl player.
My main is a mesmer so it’s not like I’m a heavy armored power mower either.
I wish sometimes I could be down leveled more since I’ve felt like an idiot when I forget I’m 80 and then when I want to help a player valiantly fighting some mobs, I inevitably one shot them.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

If anything, downscaling needs to be increased a little.

On an alt character in the teens, I was on an escort quest where a downleveled player was one and two shotting attackers before I could get to them and even hit them once.

When I play characters in downleveled areas the mobs are laughably easy.

Posted by: Saidor.7028

Saidor.7028

I understand the OP’s point but the advantages of downscaling far out weigh the disadvantages. Downscaling is a brilliant idea. It allows people to properly explore all areas of the game rather than progressing beyond one areas level and never being able to really operate in these areas again.

Maybe an option where changing to your town clothes prevents you from drawing aggro if you are x amount of levels above an area.

Posted by: han.9042

han.9042

Only thing I hate about down-scaling is I keep forgetting not to jump off from high places :/

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

If you’re hating the combat you’re missing out on one of the best aspects of this game … not only is the environment beautiful, what happens in it is equally beautiful. Especially in lower level areas the events and some hearts are very high quality and without downscaling they would be trivial. In other games, getting 100% on the quest achievement is a chore, in GW2 it’s an integral part of endgame, and enjoyable to boot.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I don’t get a blue+ 80 ‘every’ time there’s a drop, and sometimes the ‘on level’ item is 76+, but I do get items. I would say I get more ‘actual’ 80s recently, not that I think that matters (or care to wear them, at least in armor, since I made my exotics). I’ve gotten the rare yellow drop to disenchant to ectos. I sell the blues and greens for the cash. The whites get salvaged and I’m often surprised at how much of the higher tier materials I get from those.

Is it faster and do I get rich as fast as node teleporting, dungeon runs until my fingers bleed, running the same Orr events over and over and over? Maybe not. But it’s fun to go ‘work’ lower level zones alone, with friends, or just to lend a hand in areas you remember needed bodies for DEs.

I love the downscaling, especially getting to play my main with two friends who just started, but it also makes farming for lower level mats fun. I seem to get a ‘lot’ of dyes compared to everyone else complaining they don’t drop any more. I wonder if that’s because I like to play the early levels with my main?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

If it wasn’t for descaling I could just ignore/1-2 hit the mobs and watch and explore. Instead I have to kill the two chasing me spamming 8 skills before they are dead and in the mean time 5 others already joined the fabulous party

If anything, downscaling needs to be increased a little.

On an alt character in the teens, I was on an escort quest where a downleveled player was one and two shotting attackers before I could get to them and even hit them once.

When I play characters in downleveled areas the mobs are laughably easy.

There is a serious disconnect here. Is the OP using decent equipment at or close to his actual level? My experience has been what Gibson is saying.

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

I enjoy being downleveled so that lower-level content feels fun and I enjoy not being so nerfed that it’s just as hard as it was when I actually was lvl X. After you earn nice gear, you should keep that and the advantages of it. I think ANet got level-scaling basically right in GW2, which is harder than you’d think.

Posted by: pixelrevision.5192

pixelrevision.5192

I’m almost of the opinion that they didn’t do quite enough in the scaling dept. In exotics I feel very overpowered for the older zones which makes them less appealing to visit. The good part about this is though that I can change my gear and set my own difficulty unlike in other games. The leveling content then remains relevant for my character as long as I want it to.

Posted by: Elarii.2756

Elarii.2756

It’s an economy balance. If there was no descaling level 80s could run in, 1 hit kill everything and flood the market with crap and mid gear making it really cheep and making lower levels unable to make money.

In theory, perhaps, but in reality the loot nerfs and diminishing returns prevent low levels from making any money now unless they’re really lucky and actually get the odd unid dye that they would rather sell than gamble on for their own character/s. The only way I was able to get enough to buy my level 40 training books was by selling all my ore and cloth instead of leveling up my crafting so now I’m really behind the ball with trying to make myself equipment.

Imo, there needs to be a rollback of the DR now that the bots are supposedly mostly gone, maybe then players would return to the world maps.