"Leveling as a Reward" Experience Crippling!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: AzDune.4769

AzDune.4769

It’s impossible to lvl up, nothing gives you XP now… This patch is an epic fail -_-

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

When I first started I thought it was kind of cool that I could quickly unlock all 5 weapon skills and then I cycled through each weapon my prof could have until I unlocked them all.

Now it’s the other way around. Each skill is unlocked for all weapons at the same time but now you’re stuck behind a level gate for each. Don’t know which way is faster. Don’t remember what level I was when I unlocked Skill 5 on my first weapon but it probably was well before Level 10. All weapons? Don’t know.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: barnabas j collins.2306

barnabas j collins.2306

yeah pretty much epic fail patch – can’t even bring myself to get enough interest to do my usual teq kill tonight.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Okay then someone needs to fix the wiki unless it’s those levels are when they first tell the player about them. In which case they aren’t locked.

And that’s the problem. Vets of the game are interrupting it as “unlocked at that level?! WTF?!” when really, that message isnt for US. Its for NEW PEOPLE.

A new person doesnt know about the bank right away, doesnt know about salvaging, or anything of the stuff. So they don’t know that they are actually unlocked right away.

I agree that leaving the message there is stupid, but there really isnt any other way to tell people this stuff. Hell, when i first played, i sold trophies, not understanding what salvage was until someone in map said it.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

When I first started I thought it was kind of cool that I could quickly unlock all 5 weapon skills and then I cycled through each weapon my prof could have until I unlocked them all.

Now it’s the other way around. Each skill is unlocked for all weapons at the same time but now you’re stuck behind a level gate for each. Don’t know which way is faster. Don’t remember what level I was when I unlocked Skill 5 on my first weapon but it probably was well before Level 10. All weapons? Don’t know.

you could completely unlock a weapon in the starter map, so that would be level 1. as for all weapons, that depends on what class, what weapons, and how you play. for most classes, i doubt it would be level 10. it gives a very different feel, not unlocking skills by choice, but rather through experience.

Posted by: Selene.9415

Selene.9415

Veteran players seem the most upset by this which i dont get. I started since release and its not like i dont hav 8 experience scrolls and 80+tomes of knowledge sitting in the bank. If your a veteran how do you not have any?

Not everyone enjoys pvp… And this largely affects the PvE players that like to make alts.

Of course the changes are probably good for new players, but I definitely think the skill locking should be optional at least for players that already have an 80.

(edited by Selene.9415)

Behellagh.1468

Okay then someone needs to fix the wiki unless it’s those levels are when they first tell the player about them. In which case they aren’t locked.

And that’s the problem. Vets of the game are interrupting it as “unlocked at that level?! WTF?!” when really, that message isnt for US. Its for NEW PEOPLE.

A new person doesnt know about the bank right away, doesnt know about salvaging, or anything of the stuff. So they don’t know that they are actually unlocked right away.

I agree that leaving the message there is stupid, but there really isnt any other way to tell people this stuff. Hell, when i first played, i sold trophies, not understanding what salvage was until someone in map said it.

My bad. I mistook rewards and informed of at various levels as unlocks. They aren’t. I panicked and assumed the worse from some of the stories posted.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Veteran players seem the most upset by this which i dont get. I started since release and its not like i dont hav 8 experience scrolls and 80+tomes of knowledge sitting in the bank. If your a veteran how do you not have any?

Maybe not every veteran goes champ hunting?

But from the sound of it, they simply removed the lower levels. And the game just starts at 20 (or something).

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

can someone actually confirm that? I know lvl1-10 is fast. Wonder if 10-20 is fast too.

Posted by: OMNIBUS.2913

OMNIBUS.2913

Maybe not every veteran goes champ hunting?

But from the sound of it, they simply removed the lower levels. And the game just starts at 20 (or something).

I was mostly referring to experience scrolls. Veteran players of(+1 year) will likely have at least one for their character birthday unless they delete and remake toons a lot. Which lvls u to lvl 20… You dont get tomes of knowledge from champ hunting also. You can get them during some of the past living story a few months ago for festival tickets i think. And also their ez to get in pvp.

(edited by OMNIBUS.2913)

phys.7689

can someone actually confirm that? I know lvl1-10 is fast. Wonder if 10-20 is fast too.

the patch notes say 10-15 is faster, but its curved, so around 10-15 its pretty close to what it was before.
truth is though, story steps used to give a lot of exp really fast, so my theory is overall the exp is pretty similar to before

Posted by: SStelter.4712

SStelter.4712

Pretty terrible patch for newer players, you’re just taking things and gating them and calling them rewards. There’s absolutely nothing rewarding about leveling just to be able to use your weapon skills. Or to go pvp. Or wvw. Or your story missions which were generally the biggest reward for leveling.

Very disappointing.

Notice Us Senpai [SAMA]
All your base are belongg to us [AYB]
Sylvari are people not produce [PETP]

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I played an ele from 4 to 11 tonight and it didn’t seem fast to me. It actually seemed slower than previously, in part I suppose because there were things I couldn’t do. Like skill challenges. I think I was at around 75% map completion for Queensdale when I logged out.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

Since key farming is dead, I decided to run through this with a new character.

You all covered most of it but here are my notes of what I spotted.

The personal story is now like the LS 2 where the mobs in the story do not drop loot.

Skill points are locked out until level 13

Even after level 13 (character is at 16 now) you do not get skill points from leveling. That level 20 scroll used to net you 16 skill points and it doesn’t now. Tomes of Knowledge are the same too. No skill points for leveling up.

I saw that Underwater skill 4 opens up at level 17.

This is a steaming pile of BS.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Posted by: JackDaniels.1697

JackDaniels.1697

So let me get this straight, veteran players have been wanting more hardcore content implemented to this game because they felt that it is too casual and that it didn’t feel challenging enough, that it was too faceroll, and that progression didn’t feel all that good because you got pretty much everything from the start.

So while they didn’t get level 80 endgame content, they did get early game stuff that gives you that progression, that gives you that challenge because you don’t get most of your traits and skills so early on. The game is still casual, but you can’t faceroll through content anymore, at least not early on.

So while it’s not the dungeons and more world bosses made into challenging behemoths, they did so with the leveling and the system they’ve put in place.

It really is all about perspective, and people just don’t seem to understand that they got what they wanted, but just because it’s not in a place where they expected it to be, they think it’s all wrong.

The game has become more challenging in this area, so open your eyes and appreciate it, because this is what you were looking for.

I really am buffled why veteran players complain that leveling is too hard now, when you want more hard kitten in this game…

Anet can’t win.

“I got a fever! And the only prescription, is more COWBELL!”

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

The black lion keys haven’t disappeared totally as a reward. I just finished the lvl 10 story, I received 1 black lion key, 50 luck and a champ chest.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: ipan.4356

ipan.4356

So let me get this straight, veteran players have been wanting more hardcore content implemented to this game because they felt that it is too casual and that it didn’t feel challenging enough, that it was too faceroll, and that progression didn’t feel all that good because you got pretty much everything from the start.

So while they didn’t get level 80 endgame content, they did get early game stuff that gives you that progression, that gives you that challenge because you don’t get most of your traits and skills so early on. The game is still casual, but you can’t faceroll through content anymore, at least not early on.

So while it’s not the dungeons and more world bosses made into challenging behemoths, they did so with the leveling and the system they’ve put in place.

It really is all about perspective, and people just don’t seem to understand that they got what they wanted, but just because it’s not in a place where they expected it to be, they think it’s all wrong.

The game has become more challenging in this area, so open your eyes and appreciate it, because this is what you were looking for.

I really am buffled why veteran players complain that leveling is too hard now, when you want more hard kitten in this game…

Anet can’t win.

Ummm, early game content isn’t going to be any more challenging – just more tedious, more of a chore.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

My favorite part is the game keeps telling me I’ve unlocked traits pretty much every level. Which I can’t even use until level 30.

Absolutely brilliant. I don’t know how we managed to play the game before without Anet telling us exactly what to do and what skills to use.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Anet can’t win.

How is endgame content = early game stuff? Kitten logic right?

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

phys.7689

Anet can’t win.

no one is complaining that it is hard, they are complaining that is boring. Also having less options is not challenge, its actually simplifying the equation.
not only that, but they rebalanced the areas and levels to be easier so you re entire theory is shot.

also do not conflate two different complaints, some people wanted more progression, that is not the same people who wanted more difficult content.
also, more progression is not taking everything you already had and rationing it out over 80 levels.

And i really dont even believe that the system will be good at retaining new players. So how i see it is, we are sacrificing a lot, for no gain at all, because i dont think this new player experience will retain a greater amount of players. They added nothing to the system, they simply drew it out more, which i feel will appeal even less to players who were uninterested.

best thing they could of done was create more interesting things.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Maybe instead of stripping features for new players and using them as rewards, you could maybe ADD ACTUAL NEW REWARDS. You know, maybe you guys should get some players to be advisors, that way maybe you’ll realize when something is a terrible idea.

It’s called repackaging. That’s what happens when the managers that do not know what to do turn themselves to people that just finish their degree in marketing. Repackaging is a big thing today: remove a bit of content, reduce the quality, add more colors, increase the box size, raise the price.

fellyn.5083

Playing with a friend tonight. I used a lvl 20 scroll, they didn’t. By the time I got to 25 they were already level 16. Don’t know if it’s faster but in the time I gained 4ish levels they gained more than 15.

Posted by: Sarah.1825

Sarah.1825

Although I honestly don’t expect anyone at Anet to actually read, let alone listen to what I have to say, I am going to say it anyway.

I am one of the veteran players, I have over 4 thousand hours into the game. I am also one of the people who have a lot of alts. I have 16 of them to level 80, with another 20 at measured increments from 20 to 75. (Why yes, I know I am crazy, and I only buy the character slots when they are on sale)

While the leveling has been dumbed down to the lowest common denominator, I don’t have much of the leveling to drag myself through. But… this game was already dumbed down when I first started playing it almost 2 years ago.

As it stands now. I let my 5 year old next door neighbor make a character and start leveling her. He had no issues at all in figuring out how to play. Congratulations, you have reached your target audience. Unfortunately, your target audience doesn’t have disposable income.

In April you changed the trait system. Despite not being able to trait until level 30, and the final trait points being given at level 74, but not able to be used until level 80, if you have unlocked the trait you want, or spent the skill points AND gold to get them, I was able to deal with the changes and tweaks.

Now, however, you have made it so that you don’t have a ‘capable’ character until level 40 to 60 (depending on your class and gameplay style). By ‘capable’ I mean capable of playing PvE solo, which is about 80% of the PvE content. Capable of not dying half a dozen times before you do enough hearts to get enough levels, to unlock the skills THAT WERE NOT CONFUSING OR SCARY TO BEGIN WITH.

I recently spent 50 dollars on gems, and converted all of my gold to gems, and purchased enough character slots to make a new race and/or a new class. There are many new games that are out or soon will be out, even if I don’t request a refund, I doubt I will be playing this game, purchasing accounts for my own children for xmas, or spending one red cent more to play a game that has been idiot-proofed to the extent this one has been.

I will give it until the 19th for communication from the devs that indicates someone, anyone at Anet is paying attention, but I doubt it will happen.

TL:DR This game has been dumbed down past the tolerance of old and new players alike, I am taking my wallet elsewhere.

fellyn.5083

Anet can’t win.

Except for none of the changes they made affect the difficulty of the game in the slightest. It just makes creating a new character more tedious and that’s all.

phys.7689

Playing with a friend tonight. I used a lvl 20 scroll, they didn’t. By the time I got to 25 they were already level 16. Don’t know if it’s faster but in the time I gained 4ish levels they gained more than 15.

if you are doing low level content, then you get a lot less exp, in newb areas, its very ineffecient to do lower level areas for exp.

Behellagh.1468

Well they did say 1-15 is faster.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Sarah.1825

Sarah.1825

One further comment

Good going on following in SOE’s footsteps, Anet, you are almost at your own NGE yourself.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Leveling to 10 took me approx an hour. It wouldve been faster, but I did make a few mistakes at some events (also, ignore the monestary heart at all costs as its too time consuming). I did clock it that I was level 6 at 20min, so close to 4min a level isnt bad at that point.

Personal story took me 15 min and got me to level 13. maybe another 10-20 min more and i would’ve been 15. This is faster than it use to be.

Is it the best for keyfarming? No, its longer now by just leveling. If anything, i’ll experiment around, probably level to 5 or 6 then craft 4 levels.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

With these time gated level up unlocks, are they trying to make GW2 look as if it had tons of different skills?

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

The whole concept of leveling as progress is outdated. It’s just so baffling to hear the devs saying how they want leveling to be an adventure and worthwhile when it’s 80 levels to get there. Of course it’s gonna feel boring.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

The OP is a bit more irate than I would put it, but I agree with the premise behind all the points he made. The original GW2 leveling system was perhaps not completely perfect, but it was better than the new one.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Preyar.6783

Preyar.6783

lvl 1-15 is faster, skills takes a bit longer to unlock, but the locking of WvW, sPvP and all the other stuff is only until you reach a certain level and does only apply to totally new players. When it’s unlocked, it’s unlocked for the next characters at lvl 1.

Wondrous Achiever \o/

Posted by: Septemptus.7164

Septemptus.7164

Maybe instead of stripping features for new players and using them as rewards, you could maybe ADD ACTUAL NEW REWARDS. You know, maybe you guys should get some players to be advisors, that way maybe you’ll realize when something is a terrible idea.

Good point…

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

I’m quite horrified by this change. Then again, I’m horrified by pretty much every change. But this one really looks particularly horrifying.
Level restrictions have never been something I’m fond of at all. This game gave me some of the freedom I wanted. With what happened with FFXIV during the first version of it and finally seeing the relaunched game (unlike the rest of the world I loathe ARR) GW2 was a healing experience.
There were utility skill slots and elite of course but compared to this current situation that’s near non-existant.
I can barely even remember the huge problem I have with tiered utility skills now. Hahah… /cry

I guess new things to hate every now and then keeps things fresh. -_-

…At level 20 I used to have what I considered “nearly complete” character when I was curious about some classes near launch. I feel like I did that a lot… Good old times those were.
(although now I remember the tiered utility skills again)

let the sky fall

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Good point…

Not really a good point, because that just begs to lead those players to temptation . . . and those chosen could easily become targets of all the derision (even if left anonymous). Not to mention there’s already talk on map chat about how anyone who likes the new changes are (nope, not repeating it here, just think of young felines) or “company men”.

Also, recall what happened with Edge of the Mists which was vetted and used by WvW players? Yeah . . . I don’t trust players could reliably make the decisions which are best for the game as a whole. Maybe for small parts, or maybe for what they see in front of them.

I do not trust the inmates to run the asylum.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Is there a single person who likes unlocking traits?

I like the concept. I don’t know about the execution yet . . . not experienced it.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

fellyn.5083

if you are doing low level content, then you get a lot less exp, in newb areas, its very ineffecient to do lower level areas for exp.

I should have added that we were both in EoTM.

Posted by: JaNordy.6149

JaNordy.6149

Im amazed every time something dumb like this happens. Just when I think it cant get worst they redesign something this stupidly I just dont even… what is this. Guardians dont have virtues…. Go make a guard your virtues are gone cause its TOO HARD TO UNDERSTAND. Fire your design/devs/ceo, you know just fire everyone.

Traced.3495

Is there a single person who likes unlocking traits?

That blog post was such a slap in the face. My heart broke and the game I loved was pretty much gone.

I’m amazed to see how it can keep going even more gone.

(I already hated when utility skills went tiered)

let the sky fall

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Multi accounts.

Only started my EU account in April.

Posted by: SKATE.1394

SKATE.1394

Although I honestly don’t expect anyone at Anet to actually read, let alone listen to what I have to say, I am going to say it anyway.

I am one of the veteran players, I have over 4 thousand hours into the game. I am also one of the people who have a lot of alts. I have 16 of them to level 80, with another 20 at measured increments from 20 to 75. (Why yes, I know I am crazy, and I only buy the character slots when they are on sale)

*snipped cause I’m hitting the character limit, but I agree with your entire post

I’m another 5000 hour 37 character slot user, although only 12 of them are 80 so far, but I do have enough tomes to fully level another 2. My goal was to have at least 4 characters of every class in various stat combos; Berserker/Assassin, Dire, Soldier, Celestial etc to have unique builds for just about any situation.

I mainly play for account progression, unlike most people that think the endgame is stale I thrive on farming/grinding. I call it Guild Tycoon 2 cause I’m more about personal empire building than enjoying the actual content. It’s just the way I play.

I nearly quit a few times, when they did their first major balance patch and re-shuffled all the stunbreakers and changed up the way many of the skills worked was the first. I had characters that I’d grown comfortable playing in a certain style with for roughly 6 months and the sweeping changes to my PvE style of play for the sake of PvP “balance” and their insistence on no PvE/PvP split nearly did me in. The fact that they think they can e-sportify a game with 8 different classes, over 10 different stat combinations, multiple weapon sets, and damage that’s variable and RNG based with things such as critical hit chance is a pipe dream. Two characters of the exact same build can stand toe to toe swinging swords like robots and it would still be completely random which one goes down first. You can’t balance the PvP in a D&D style role playing game, yet it’s still treated as if it’s the 8th iteration of Street Fighter 4. If you play PvP in a role playing game, it’s because you enjoy it and have fun doing so, not because it’s an ultra tight reflex twitch based pro gaming experience. And I’m a Bear Rank player that has over 2,000 PvP matches played, with at least 100 wins as every single class, so I do participate in PvP from time to time, but I don’t want my PvE play to be affected by vain attempts at balancing what should be a niche game mode.

The second time was the introduction of the megaserver that really impacted my style of play by taking away uncontested solo farm/event access that I used to have on my low population server. It brought down my efficiency in pretty much all areas of the game, including world bosses that go down much much faster with 5-10 people than 50. With the exception of “hardcore” bosses like Tequatl obviously, but that’s what guesting was for. I could solo Mark II Golem faster than it goes down now on the zergfest spam 1 megaservers. And not only was it faster and a much more efficient bi-hourly dragonite farm with multiple characters, it was actually more fun to kill him alone at 1 AM or with a few other people in my opinion. The ability to loop through chain events in most zones without having to worry about competing with other players for completion was my preferred way to level. I had a cycle down in Plains of Ashford that was so efficient if I didn’t take breaks every 30 minutes I could complete enough events solo to hit diminishing returns within 40.

Those changes only affected me as a player personally, and I’m definitely not the norm, but I was able to adjust and continue on due to the fact that I was already so invested in the game and my account. The move of traits to level 30 and the scavenger hunt unlock system was a huge setback for all players though, and the changes in this feature pack have only made things worse. If this is the leveling/character progression system that was in place when I started the game I wouldn’t have made it past the first few weeks. I wasn’t sure they’d ever be able to kittenize the game so badly that I’d be willing to give up my 5K hour investment, but I think they finally succeeded in doing just that. I have 600 unspent laurels in my wallet as I’ve mostly kept up with my dailies even during the sketch periods I wasn’t sure I’d be sticking around, but now I’m not sure I even wanna bother spending the 10 minutes a day to do dailies in the hopes the game is eventually restored to the former systems.

I wonder if these new changes are the reason those two Anet employees that were recently reported to have left the company walked away? I’d like to see a completely anonymous interview with some of the current developers to see if they’re honestly happy with the current direction of the game, or if they’re just following management orders for the paycheck, without them having to fear losing their jobs.

(edited by SKATE.1394)

Traced.3495

I mainly play for account progression, unlike most people that think the endgame is stale I thrive on farming/grinding. I call it Guild Tycoon 2 cause I’m more about personal empire building than enjoying the actual content. It’s just the way I play.

I have always wondered how to explain to others why I play and what I like. You describe it so well. I have been thinking of things as my empire in the past though. I don’t know where I caught that, maybe from some historical shows/books I may have absent-mindedly seen some time.

I played somewhat more lightly, with no much focus than occassional shiny fluff. I have two accounts since launch with 21 characters on each and later got a third with just the 5. Lots of completely silly character projects, I’m going to bold this part for giggles, or to make a point. One or the other.
Only two on each launch accounts at 80 and one recent-ish one on the third, I’m not even sure how that one happened. Well, two map explorations, LA events, and tomes from them in reality but I didn’t level with that little work before.
…I never have done any of the more bigger fights (world bosses, dungeons), outside of LS (good amount of the shiny fluff), since combat or loot isn’t my main interest. I was mostly a staff ele duo if I had to do fighting for daily/materials/giggles and I barely noticed if class changes happened since so far I hadn’t had too much investment on other classes. But many other game system changes have hit hard.
I wasn’t able to deal with traits, and more specifically no new silly character projects ever. Huge things as well were lost town clothes and my world (atmosphere), overall all these drove me away. I absolutely would not be able to deal with this current leveling system if I had tried to manage during the first changes since I’m not interested in getting more characters to high level any time fast. Lowbies, the silly character projects, used to be perfectly fine and enjoyable enough to play occassionally if I felt like it.

let the sky fall

Posted by: Kamui.4038

Kamui.4038

Just gained a level? HERE’S YOUR GOLD STAR! You can cut squares out construction paper with safety scissors, well done! Here’s another page; try cutting a circle this time! Don’t forget to keep the strap of your helmet tight or you might hurt yourself!

- This Patch

Posted by: Bigsexy.8302

Bigsexy.8302

Posted by: Sithaco.4673

Sithaco.4673

I seriously cannot understand the reasoning behind any of these changes… It actually does my head in trying to understand why they do this.

All this babying they are making to the game, I just don’t get it, I’ve never felt so low about this game as I do right now

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’m just finally going to sit back and remember it can be pretty tough to do tutorials properly without letting them feel insultingly forced or nagging reminder “would you like to view the tutorial?”

Posted by: Kamui.4038

Kamui.4038

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Anet can’t win.

Ummm, early game content isn’t going to be any more challenging – just more tedious, more of a chore.

Except I don’t find it more tedious. I found it faster.

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

Plz, git gut, dolyak 1 shot no scope lel #420 #swag.

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

Posted by: Tomas.5029

Tomas.5029

My personal problem with the leveling system is of course, how beyond dumbed-down and boring it is, but also how terribly frustrating it is to level up a mesmer right now.

Mesmers were already hit quite hard when they pushed the traits to level 30.
And now, with locked skills, and no utilities until level 13, the starting experience is quite literally a nightmare.

—Engi main tryhards unite!—