"Leveling as a Reward" Experience Crippling!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Asacledhae.2650

Asacledhae.2650

Dear me, get all my feelings and thoughts, and put them in a video!

He shouldn’t have attacked the Dolyak though, he should’ve followed the Zerg, like all new players are supposed to, now.. That way he would’ve survived in this high level area, and had fun!

The reasons we love the new downgra…..er….feature patch :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqJlKjwrKB4

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

Thank you! That was great! LOL.

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

I’m going to buy a safety helmet to wear while I level up this last character to at least level 40 since I don’t see one in the Cash Shop to make my character wear.

Yeah, we all might as well stop calling it the Gem Store and just call it the Cash Shop.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Posted by: Rogue.7856

Rogue.7856

GG Alts 09/09/14

Sept 09 patch, killed me and my wife’s alt experience…

Posted by: thepalemagpie.9625

thepalemagpie.9625

I had gathering, dodging, tp and bank and guild open starting a new character. O.o I was able to use all of these straight away. People are blowing things out of proportion instead of actually looking around and playing the game.

Rogue.7856

Seems some people are able to, and some are not… my salvaging is even removed until level 15…

GG Alts 09/09/14

Posted by: thepalemagpie.9625

thepalemagpie.9625

Hmm…Sounds like it might be a bug. I couldn’t use my copper savage machine til level 15, but I could buy salvaging items.

Posted by: Silvia.9130

Silvia.9130

Look at the positive and most clever side of the thing: every level 2 completely unexperienced player can still open the LFG on FotM 40+ and click “join” on a party for level 50! You might not be allowed to use your downed skills, but heck, you can as well go and run the supposedly most hardcore-whatever-end-game content to their eyes, neat!

>>Lady Carlie Castle<
>>=<

Posted by: nastyjman.8207

nastyjman.8207

I had gathering, dodging, tp and bank and guild open starting a new character. O.o I was able to use all of these straight away. People are blowing things out of proportion instead of actually looking around and playing the game.

Shhhhh… the hate train is still choo-chooing. You musn’t derail it.

First Team to reach 250 has 87% chance to win (Updated 7/30/2014) : http://bit.ly/1lWH6T8

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Shhhhh…some of us understand that there is a difference between accounts with established level 80s and a brand new account.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

This update makes me sad, instead of focusing on new content we’ve been handicapped again and told it’s “new and improved”

Rogue.7856

Look at the positive and most clever side of the thing: every level 2 completely unexperienced player can still open the LFG on FotM 40+ and click “join” on a party for level 50! You might not be allowed to use your downed skills, but heck, you can as well go and run the supposedly most hardcore-whatever-end-game content to their eyes, neat!

Goodluck getting in any groups with higher levels… they will definately be a lot more hate on low levels now!

GG Alts 09/09/14

Rogue.7856

Well I’m so ticked at this update… I played this game pretty much full time without a break for the last 8 months. I’ve completed my dailies for over 200 days consecutive…

I jumped in to start a new alt for 2 hours and I’m literally sickened by it so much that I’m going to take my first break from the game since starting. I will be ending my consecutive daily runs today.

Time to play all those steam games I never had time to play, starting with Dark Souls 2

GG Alts 09/09/14

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Sigh…

No longer can you unlock your first three weapon skills by killing things in the starting area, to have to level to Lv2 and Lv4, meaning you might as well run past everything straight to the boss.

Your reward for reaching Lv5? The downed state and profession mechanic, which were available from the beginning before this!

Speaking of downed state, the #2 and #3 downed skills are also locked until later levels…why?

Also, rangers are still stuck with their pets, although now they can’t control them until Lv5, cause that apparently would’ve been “too confusing” from the start..

Sigh…rangers still getting screwed over more.

Weapon swapping? Not so fast! Better wait till Lv15!

Underwater combat, not until Lv8, are you insane?

Your first utility is now unlocked at Lv13 instead of Lv5, since that was clearly too soon for you to understand utilities. And it just goes on….Actually, here’s a list, from another poster:

The following are level gated items:

-Weapon skill 2 (Unlocked at level 2)
-Weapon skill 3 (Unlocked at level 3)
-Profession skill F1 (Unlocked at level 4)
-Rally(downstate) (Unlocked at level 5)
-Off-hand weapon slot (Unlocked at level 7)
-Weapon skill 4 (Unlocked at level 7)
-Underwater Combat (Unlocked at level 8 with underwater weapon skills 1 and 2)
-Personal story (Unlocked at level 10 in chapters every 10 levels)
-Weapon skill 5 (Unlocked at level 10)
-Utility Skill 1 (Unlocked at level 13)
-Underwater skill 3 (Unlocked at level 14)
-Weapon Swap (Unlocked at level 15)
-Down Skill 3 (Unlocked at level 19)
-Profession skill F3 (Unlocked at level 22)
-Underwater skill 5 (Unlocked at level 23
-Utility Skill 2 (Unlocked at level 24)
-Profession skill F4 (Unlocked at level 24)
-Adapt Tier Traits (Unlocked at level 30)
-Elite Skill (Unlocked at level 40)
-Master Traits (Unlocked at level 60)
-Grandmaster Traits (Unlocked at level 80)

The following items are not locked but do not appear on the minimap until the specified level.

-Points of Interest (level 7)
-Gathering Nodes (Level 9) – Nodes may have been removed in areas before this level. No there is no potato famine there is plenty of potato in Metrica Province.
-Vista (level 10)

Seriously, who decided on these changes? Who came up with the concept of these stupid ides and how did they pass testing and scrutiny? Whoever was responsible should’ve been told to immediately scrap the level gating or get fired.

This is even worse than the big trait change, which had potential but as executed badly. This level gating is just plain bad.

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

Shhhhh…some of us understand that there is a difference between accounts with established level 80s and a brand new account.

This. Why do I have to suffer through these terrible “features” even after I have multiple level 80s?!

Rogue.7856

I just want to quickly add, there are some errors on this chart of how stuff is unlocking, as well as 1st character vs. account unlocks when some of these systems were carried between regions. We’re trying to identify what happened and repair those things assigned the wrong account/character fields, as well as levels.

Aka Copy Paste China Release… Real smart seeing as how well received your game was over there… NOT! You took a hated version of the game and crippled our region with it.

GG Alts 09/09/14

TehPwnerer.7215

I just want to quickly add, there are some errors on this chart of how stuff is unlocking, as well as 1st character vs. account unlocks when some of these systems were carried between regions. We’re trying to identify what happened and repair those things assigned the wrong account/character fields, as well as levels.

Aka Copy Paste China Release… Real smart seeing as how well received your game was over there… NOT! You took a hated version of the game and crippled our region with it.

Not to mention their promise to keep this game and the Chinese version separate. What a joke.

Posted by: Suinz.5968

Suinz.5968

So much for.. “YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING AT LEVEL 1 THAT YOU CAN DO AT MAX LEVEL!”

TehPwnerer.7215

Stop. That was part of the manifesto – which we all know doesn’t count anymore.

Their new manifesto is “Level 1-10. You can swing your sword. Then you can swing your sword again.”

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Bear in mind that was always bull hockey – you were automatically level 2 on finishing the opening story instance. So at level one all you could do is, well, the first story instance.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Penarddun.6827

Penarddun.6827

So getting to enjoy the unique and fun fighting mechanics of the game on low level alts is gone now? I loved the leveling system on this game. I don’t want to have to grind up to level 20 or 40 or whatever to enjoy the system.

And no, I never saved scrolls of knowledge, etc. I just have new character slots I bought and are now useless. I feel gypped. :/

Posted by: aikatara.3462

aikatara.3462

Thank you, A-net for ruining a perfectly working system. Now my new character (level 4) has skills (weapon and slot skills) locked that worked perfecty fine a few days ago! I cannot believe you guys actually introduced level gates for skills!

I started GW2 about half a year ago (maximum) I had a short period of "what the hell is that, so many buttons and features, but with try and error, the guild wars wiki page and some help from other players I learned all that stuff pretty quickly! And I was a MMO noob! But even a MMO newbie isn’t that stupid and the old system wasn’t actually that complicated. Now I’m supposed to wait until level 40 until the fun game begins? Especially since I already have a level 80 character and know what I am missing! I cannot begin to imagen how frustrated players with several level 80 charas must feel. You cannot be serious, A-net!

At the moment I’m still a little bit shocked. I cannot believe you actually did this f*** sh***. I simply do not want to run around for several levels with a crippled character. I really, really liked the freedom you had with your character in the past. I don’t think I want to play any new character anytime soon. And only future (and you, A-net) will tell, if I really want to continue to play GW2 under this circumstances!

(edited by aikatara.3462)

Rogue.7856

At the moment I’m still a little bit shocked. I cannot believe you actually did this fuc*ing sh*thole you dumb fuc*ing c*nt Anet. I simply do not want to run around for several levels with a crippled character. I really, really liked the freedom you had with your character in the past. I don’t think I want to play any new character anytime soon. And only future (and you, A-net) will tell, if I really want to continue to play GW2 under this circumstances!

You, me, and several others brother…

GG Alts 09/09/14

TehPwnerer.7215

At the moment I’m still a little bit shocked. I cannot believe you actually did this fuc*ing kitten you dumb fuc*ing c*nt Anet. I simply do not want to run around for several levels with a crippled character. I really, really liked the freedom you had with your character in the past. I don’t think I want to play any new character anytime soon. And only future (and you, A-net) will tell, if I really want to continue to play GW2 under this circumstances!

You, me, and several others brother…

This is clearly an improvement. Obviously characters with so much freedom and playstyle diversity low leveled characters had was too overwhelming and confusing for new players to understand.

How pathetic.

Posted by: Goldrock.9076

Goldrock.9076

Yeah im not happy with npe at all its even worse now than before .At least before when you started to fall behind in lvls you can progress the story for the lvls now its blah im like lvl 5 and all the way up to the lvl 9-10 hearts and now i gotta go grind my butt off to get tougher lol.

Posted by: Goldrock.9076

Goldrock.9076

Kinda change puts a filthy nastys old swg nge taste in my mouth it really really does.

Posted by: CalamityO.2890

CalamityO.2890

Sigh…

No longer can you unlock your first three weapon skills by killing things in the starting area, to have to level to Lv2 and Lv4, meaning you might as well run past everything straight to the boss.

To be fair, once you’ve reached lvl 10 all weapons skills are unlocked for all weapons. Unlocking each weapon skills individually was way more grindier than under this new system. So I don’t understand where peeps are saying this system is more grindier, than the last one. But yes, this new system has lots of problems. If it was implemented correctly, it would have been a better system.

I’ll leave this phrase for you and the vets:

work smarter, not harder

inthecubbyhole.wordpress.com

TehPwnerer.7215

work smarter, not harder

Don’t take the bait, folks.

Rogue.7856

For some reason a moderator removed the “What a joke!!!” from my topic title… so I edited it to be more suitable.

GG Alts 09/09/14

Rogue.7856

The level reward for hitting 8 is the Metal Aquabreather and Spear that you used to start out with whenever you created your character… What an amazing reward! So glad were actually being rewarded for leveling with the same crap we used to start out with by default!

You sure outsmarted us Anet… very smart move!

GG Alts 09/09/14

Posted by: GreyMouser.1235

GreyMouser.1235

Sigh…

To be fair, once you’ve reached lvl 10 all weapons skills are unlocked for all weapons. Unlocking each weapon skills individually was way more grindier than under this new system. So I don’t understand where peeps are saying this system is more grindier, than the last one. But yes, this new system has lots of problems. If it was implemented correctly, it would have been a better system.

work smarter, not harder

Um, what? You can typically unlock the first three skills on your first weapon just by running around the beginning zone to your objectives. By level 2 and following a couple of hearts, you could have at least one weapon fully unlocked, and at least one more halfway unlocked. In 10 minutes of play. Now, it takes 45 to 50 minutes, if you’re grinding hard. This isn’t working smarter.

Have you ACTUALLY tried leveling a new character? Pre-patch, my keyfarmer always had two weapons fully unlocked by the end of the key storyline, after 20 minutes (and we’re talking about a speed run, not going out of my way to kill things). It took an hour to level them to 10 post-patch, as I wasn’t actively trying to participate in every single event that occurred (leaving me underleveled for most of the hearts after level 5…)

[SOF]
Servants of Fortuna
Yak’s Bend

(edited by GreyMouser.1235)

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

To be fair, once you’ve reached lvl 10 all weapons skills are unlocked for all weapons. Unlocking each weapon skills individually was way more grindier than under this new system.

Lies. In the previous system, your weapon skills unlocked faster the higher level you were. So, if you were a really high level and used a weapon that you had never used before, you would unlock skill 2 by killing A SINGLE MONSTER.

There is no way that I would consider that grindy. The only way it is grindy is if you try to unlock every weapon skill for every single weapon as soon as you get into the game. If you just play the game normally and choose two weapons to use or just use whatever you find when it is stronger than what you were currently using, you would unlock skills faster than under the new system.

Rogue.7856

Yeah, the old system was really perfect pacing in my opinion. It gave you adequate amount of time and experience with each weapon before unlocking each skill. Really disheartening and sickening.

GG Alts 09/09/14

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

You cant access to changing dyes colour on armour until your toon reaches lvl6. My 4 yo only really play with dyes for her toons tht she delete and recreate (i restrict her play time in gw2 so pls dont come and bash me with bad parenting comments :p ) now she cant do tht until she lvl her toon to lvl6.. :o she only interested in create and recreate new toons.. :p she said mummy help me pls… arghh lool…. arghhhhhhhhh

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia

CalamityO.2890

Um, what? You can typically unlock the first three skills on your first weapon just by running around the beginning zone to your objectives. By level 2 and following a couple of hearts, you could have at least one weapon fully unlocked, and at least one more halfway unlocked. In 10 minutes of play. Now, it takes 45 to 50 minutes, if you’re grinding hard. This isn’t working smarter.

Have you ACTUALLY tried leveling a new character? Pre-patch, my keyfarmer always had two weapons fully unlocked by the end of the key storyline, after 20 minutes (and we’re talking about a speed run, not going out of my way to kill things). It took an hour to level them to 10 post-patch, as I wasn’t actively trying to participate in every single event that occurred (leaving me underleveled for most of the hearts after level 5…)

Maybe I should rephrase my comment shall I. Try leveling all your weapons skills at one time [pre-patch], and not just two full and a half. Post patch, whilst it is grindy to unlock all the weapons skills. You only need 1 weapon to do it. After that equip which ever weapon(s) and them skills will unlock automatically. Without me having to grind to learn each one. For some one who has leveled a character, I thought you should know what I’m referring to. Or did you just skip and not bother with the rest of the weapons?. After 10 is a whole another issue.

Posted by: Dionysus.9158

Dionysus.9158

This isn’t a ‘feature’, it’s simply an awful addition to the game for new players and veterans alike, as was 99% of the entire update. Level gating the lower levels was just a terrible idea and just shows how out of touch the developers are.

Instead of adding in the actual wanted features (useful tutorials for new players i.e. combos, precursor scavenge, legendary armor/trinkets, fractal updates) Anet is focusing on revamping things that aren’t broken such as early game experience/pacing and the TP and adding in content that most could care less about, like ‘collections’. Which by the way if you realistically ever want to complete with RNG, you have the throw in thousands of gold making the worthwhile ones nothing more than a glorified gold sink and a blessing for the insiders who were able to buy the collection items for a few gold before the update and mark them up 5000%.

Just my 0.02.

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

This is terrible. I cannot think of another release so universally hated. I thought that might have been the trait system (not my favorite thing in the world but I can live with it). This on the other hand… this is just bad. What were they thinking? I really hope they LISTEN to their player base about this update and take back at least some of these changes. More than anything right now I just want to know what their response is going to be to this kind of reception.

I get what they were TRYING to do… but boy did they ever miss the mark. While the “if it’s not broke don’t fix it” type of responses don’t really apply since they wanted to improve things (which should always be encouraged by the way!)… They really did take something that worked and just plain broke it. I appreciate that they’re always working to make the game better, but why take one of the least problematic areas of the game and do… this… to it? I know people worked kitten this, but I hate to say I really feel that time was wasted. It could have been put to work on things like the TP which I feel was a great improvement.

What on Earth were they thinking…

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

(edited by Adamantium.3682)

Rogue.7856

I can’t believe the only dev responses have been complete denial… what is the deal with this update? Way to twist the way you worded your “new reward system”

GG Alts 09/09/14

Posted by: OrcasWorld.3271

OrcasWorld.3271

Yes, I HAVE ACTUALLY tried leveling a new character. It’s not about speed—it may indeed be faster. But it’s also frustrating and boring, and THAT’s why it’s hated.

CalamityO.2890

Yeah, the old system was really perfect pacing in my opinion. It gave you adequate amount of time and experience with each weapon before unlocking each skill. Really disheartening and sickening.

For altoholics (if they are still interested in the game that is) it would have cut their grind time down. At least if they wanted to learn all the weapon skills. From a new players perspective, I can understand what you mean.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

That is hilarious.

Dyes and the downed state are too much for a new player but sending them to Frost Gorge at level 3 is fine.

Posted by: Castorious.6240

Castorious.6240

Im not going to lie, i logged in today to find all of these changes to the leveling system and i was shocked. These changes in my opinion are totally unnecessary and make the leveling system very clunky, disorganized, and boring.

Im sorry but I honestly believe the changes to the leveling system (prior to lvl 40) are maybe the worst changes to this game yet. Personally, i think these changes need to be reverted.

If they want to make this game easier how about you include a tutorial on combo fields or something for new players?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

To be fair, once you’ve reached lvl 10 all weapons skills are unlocked for all weapons. Unlocking each weapon skills individually was way more grindier than under this new system.

Lies. In the previous system, your weapon skills unlocked faster the higher level you were. So, if you were a really high level and used a weapon that you had never used before, you would unlock skill 2 by killing A SINGLE MONSTER.

There is no way that I would consider that grindy. The only way it is grindy is if you try to unlock every weapon skill for every single weapon as soon as you get into the game. If you just play the game normally and choose two weapons to use or just use whatever you find when it is stronger than what you were currently using, you would unlock skills faster than under the new system.

Now if you pick up a new weapon at a higher level, every skill is automatically unlocked without killing anything. And by a higher level, I mean 15.

If you only used a bow and nothing else, by level 12, you’d have every single weapon skill unlocked. I don’t see that as grind.

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

Now if you pick up a new weapon at a higher level, every skill is automatically unlocked without killing anything. And by a higher level, I mean 15.

If you only used a bow and nothing else, by level 12, you’d have every single weapon skill unlocked. I don’t see that as grind.

A Warrior could unlock every weapon skill by around level 5 (or earlier) just by cycling through the weapons and killing mobs. Which encouraged experimentation and learning the weapon’s function organically.

Prior to the patch unlocking weapon skills was simple, and after the patch it is also simple. The difference is, post patch its not fun nor intuitive and takes longer. Learning new weapon skills now requires gaining levels, the very definition of grind.

Posted by: Snorcha.7586

Snorcha.7586

+1 – does anyone on the dev team even play a low level character.. this has turned into the most frustrating leveling experience i’ve ever done…. what was wrong with the old system????

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

So instead of developing things the players have been asking for since release (precursor crafting, real endgame content, WvW changes etc), they make this abomination that will only drive more people away?

Do they think people are really so stupid that they can’t comprehend multiple things at once? Or that people are so brainless they don’t know that they got the wiki, this forum, map chat and their contacts through which to learn this game?

Posted by: Soraiah.5042

Soraiah.5042

I doubt the devs ever played a character on the actual servers from 0-80, otherwise they should know how… unpleasant the new leveling experience is.
Nothing is really explained. What we usually learned naturally during the first levels now takes forever. Until level 40 we do not have access to all our skills.
We lack things that help us deal more damage (which is necessary since there are a lot of characters with higher levels in the starting zones → events get harder for new characters since a level 80 can almost onehit an enemy with his autoattack), we lack condition remove, extra healing…
No control over pets, no F1-Skills, no vistas, no underwater battle. No fun?
Restrictions everywhere that make me feel as if I’m to dumb to play. Funny, I wonder how I could ever reach Level 80 in the past and not make every other player avoid me as if I was contagious.

(Sorry for the poor english…)

(edited by Soraiah.5042)

Posted by: Critwrench.8432

Critwrench.8432

I have enough tomes of knowledge to instantly get to 80 If you have only been playing a few months the complaints make more sense tho.

You know you’ve created something terrible when the only justification for it players have is using an item to skip it entirely.

A shallow ocean only contains as much water as a particularly deep bucket.

Posted by: Sylv.6514

Sylv.6514

From all the negative reactions that I have seen so far, I’m glad all my characters are 80. I was still pretty sad that they butchered some of the low level stuff to make it more simple though. I loved the extra little things you could do like feed animals and water crops. Now you just dance with a cow .

Level gating stuff also seems pointless. You could have just embedded short (but skip-able) tutorial videos into the game whenever you reach a certain level to tell people what they have access to and how to use it. I would have loved something like this while leveling up, even if I didn’t need it. It would give the early experience a more polished feel. There is no reason to lock features at all. If anything, it just feels lazy and clunky.

Rogue.7856

I have enough tomes of knowledge to instantly get to 80 If you have only been playing a few months the complaints make more sense tho.

You know you’ve created something terrible when the only justification for it players have is using an item to skip it entirely.

This and a thousand times this… its sad that many players would rather bypass the leveling experience now as the content is restricted…

GG Alts 09/09/14